Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hey Siri, show me what ‘hoist with his own petard’ looks like – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited June 2023 in General
Hey Siri, show me what ‘hoist with his own petard’ looks like – politicalbetting.com

"In my administration, I'm going to enforce all laws concerning the protection of classified information. No one will be above the law."— Donald Trump August 18, 2016 (Charlotte NC rally) pic.twitter.com/b3XNYfKYc8

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    First like Biden?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613

First like Biden?

In Joe we trust.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595
    Second.....like I always come... in races
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    Sad.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

I understand that all British people ever talk about is trans issues but it is quite off putting to a “citizen of the world” like me. You sound deranged and obsessed

Perhaps if you posted a picture of a plate with food on it, or a glass containing a drink, then that would distract people. The world eagerly awaits.
    As requested. Cincinnati “chili”

It is genuinely disgusting. Cheese noodles cumin cinnamon vinegar chocolate and chili. The cheese is industrial cheddar and cold

The cumin sounds a particularly unpleasant addition
    It is. Yet many of the locals GENUiNELY love it. They enthuse. They make it at home. It is charming in its own way. The deep fried Mars Bar of the Midwest
    Have any other disgusting local foods achieved international fame besides the deep-fried Mars bar and poutine? Somebody should write a book about them.
    This is quite a good collection of candidates:

https://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bugbitten/2018/10/12/parasites-meal-or-squeal/
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Being trans doesn't affect anyone else either, when it comes to pronouns etc, but does when it comes to safeguarding. When it comes to safeguarding, there needs to be a sensible balance of risk, that's what safeguarding is all about.

I'm just curious. Can anyone point to a case where a criminal offence has been facilitated (in any practical way) by the perpetrator claiming to be trans?
    Yep Karen White

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/11/transgender-prisoner-who-sexually-assaulted-inmates-jailed-for-life

Thanks. So that was a case of someone claiming to be trans being transferred to a women's prison and then sexually assaulting female prisoners.

I wonder - are there any cases outside the prison system? As women's toilets loom so large in the online discussion, are there any cases involving women's toilets?
    I'll repost this on the new thread, as I'd be genuinely interested to know the answer.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Penddu2 said:

Second.....like I always come... in races

After a Steward's enquiry you have been placed third.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215
    Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

I understand that all British people ever talk about is trans issues but it is quite off putting to a “citizen of the world” like me. You sound deranged and obsessed

Perhaps if you posted a picture of a plate with food on it, or a glass containing a drink, then that would distract people. The world eagerly awaits.

It is genuinely disgusting. Cheese noodles cumin cinnamon vinegar chocolate and chili. The cheese is industrial cheddar and cold

It is. Yet many of the locals GENUiNELY love it. They enthuse. They make it at home. It is charming in its own way. The deep fried Mars Bar of the Midwest
    Have any other disgusting local foods achieved international fame besides the deep-fried Mars bar and poutine? Somebody should write a book about them.

OMFG. Thanks. I’ve just had breakfast
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Shame, you'll at least have an increased awareness of menu options tomorrow.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

I thought the roast Tarantulas of Skuon were probably the horriblest delicacy anywhere - but you have surely proved me wrong. Jeeez
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Pint, or shots?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    Byelection time

Nadine Dorries hasc announed her resignation as she heads to the Lords...
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    He's just a normal man. Just an innocent man.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Dorries out!
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    eek said:

Byelection time

Burke's Peerage has just gone very downmarket.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

I thought the roast Tarantulas of Skuon were probably the horriblest delicacy anywhere - but you have surely proved me wrong. Jeeez
    A few more for your travel ideas - the lamprey is more of an external predator, but there is a big French surprise there

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/five-parasitic-species-some-people-love-eat-180951340/

though this covers much the same ground (needs login, free)

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/parasite-cuisine-eating-the-eaters
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    eek said:

Byelection time

30,000 majority for the Tories to start with
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    I have said before and will say again - the GOP persecution complex, along with establishment GOP defences of Trump, will mean this will make it more likely Trump will be the GOP nominee, not less. I would expect it to be worse for him in the general.

Even "I'm here to talk truths to Trump about how he is unfit to be president" Chris Christie has not jumped on this, and has taken a "let's see where the evidence takes us" approach. Political leaders sometimes forget their ability to shape base perceptions; maybe the base will punish GOP politicians for calling out Trump, but if the party had a clear line they all shared denouncing him their would be less chance of punishment (not that it would necessarily mean they'd agree).
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    eek said:

Byelection time

Proverbial donkey in a blue rosette territory (hence her last few wins). Tories would hold it if they were on track to win only a hundred seats and Sunak promised to come and punch each constituent in the face following any victory.
  • Options
    Will Alok Sharma do the same?

Nadine Dorries stands down as MP with immediate effect.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65860564
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,676
    I have today informed the chief whip that I am standing down as the MP for Mid Bedfordshire, with immediate effect.
    It has been an honour to serve as the MP for such a wonderful constituency but it is now time for another to take the reins.

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1667182498042740742?s=20
  • Options
    eek said:

Byelection time

Is the "heads to the Lords" yet confirmed?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I knew Mad Nad was going Lordswards
    I knew Labour have talked about getting rid of (or at least doing SOMETHING) about the Lords

Until this moment I've not really held those two thoughts in my head at the same time.

I might vote Labour.
  • Options

I have today informed the chief whip that I am standing down as the MP for Mid Bedfordshire, with immediate effect.
    It has been an honour to serve as the MP for such a wonderful constituency but it is now time for another to take the reins.

A tragedy. She had so much more to give ... to the opposition parties.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Never fancied that German cheese that's full of live mites.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

There is Ikizukuri and Yin Yang fish, both of which sound perfectly revolting.

My mother also had a friend who ordered frog in a Japanese restaurant, which was then skinned alive in front of her. She ran out of the restaurant.
  • Options
    148grss said:

I have said before and will say again - the GOP persecution complex, along with establishment GOP defences of Trump, will mean this will make it more likely Trump will be the GOP nominee, not less. I would expect it to be worse for him in the general.

Even "I'm here to talk truths to Trump about how he is unfit to be president" Chris Christie has not jumped on this, and has taken a "let's see where the evidence takes us" approach...

TBF to Christie, the indictment hasn't been published.

What will do for Trump, should that happen, is the strength of the case against him. For that, we have to wait - unlike every scofflaw Republican (and the odd PBer) who has already excused him..
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

Who wins in Mid Beds?
  • Options

Average IQ of the House just went up by a measurable amount.

And it's now the Chiltern Eighties (IQ).
  • Options

Average IQ of the House just went up by a measurable amount.

Probably one house up, the other down.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    edited June 2023
    DougSeal said:

Who wins in Mid Beds?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid_Bedfordshire_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s

It appears the Cons have a very large majority, so it'd be hard to be overcome, even with the party's current travails. But I don't have any local knowledge. But by-elections can have wild results.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Most good cheese is, you just can’t see them. It’s the nutty flavour.

Sorry.
  • Options
    And now we have a Hat Trick of statewide Republicans in Florida--Marco, Ron, and Rick--accusing constituents doing their civic duty as grand jurors of "destroying the justice system in America."
    https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1667178185786548225
  • Options
    148grss said:

I have said before and will say again - the GOP persecution complex, along with establishment GOP defences of Trump, will mean this will make it more likely Trump will be the GOP nominee, not less.

If you would care to share (and absolutely fine if you don't) are you USA based?

All perspectives are welcome, just given our recent interactions, I'm wondering.

Not that geographical location makes views any more or less valid.

Well, not entirely....

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-exposes-sick-russian-troll-factory-plaguing-social-media-with-kremlin-propaganda

To be clear - I'm not remotely suggesting this is you!

• Options
    edited June 2023

DougSeal said:

Who wins in Mid Beds?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid_Bedfordshire_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s

It appears the Cons have a very large majority, so it'd be hard to be overcome, even with the party's current travails. But I don't have any local knowledge. But by-elections can have wild results.
    Well the local elections were Tories vs “independents” (Tories in a wig). The only credible challenge might be them, if Labour/Libs stood down. But there’s no reason for them to do so and if they stand it’s a Tory win, with the Libs overtaking into second as the Tory “independents” go on strike.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,929
    biggles said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Sorry.
    Could be worse, could be full of large furry mammals like Cammenbear.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Who wins in Mid Beds?

Lib Dems overturned a similar margin ~ 30,000 in North Shropshire.

2019 there was 62.7% Con, 22.1% Lab, 10.0% Lib Dem
    In Mid Beds they're only starting 47.2% behind.
  • Options
    boulay said:

biggles said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Sorry.
    Cheese puns have had their day and have really started to grate.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    biggles said:

eek said:

Byelection time

Proverbial donkey in a blue rosette territory (hence her last few wins). Tories would hold it if they were on track to win only a hundred seats and Sunak promised to come and punch each constituent in the face following any victory.
    Lib Dem loss at next election then!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    Get your Nads out...

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

DougSeal said:

Who wins in Mid Beds?

How Brexity was North Shropshire? This is very Brexity.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    biggles said:

boulay said:

biggles said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Sorry.
    Would you prefer Morbier?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Who wins in Mid Beds?
    No markets up yet (it's a bit soon tbf) but my guess would be a slim Tory hold. What will be v interesting is how the LDs and Labour cooperate (or not). Tactical voting could certainly see it flipped, but looking at the voting history in the seat they seem to both have a decent (but not winning) amount of support.

N.B. it has been a Tory seat unbroken since 1931.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I guess she's been told her peerage has been blocked:

Nadine Dorries, five hours before she resigned, triggering a by-election
    [VIDEO]
    "The last thing I would want to do is cause a by election in my constituency"

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1667184705601519622?s=20
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298

I guess she's been told her peerage has been blocked:

Nadine Dorries, five hours before she resigned, triggering a by-election
    [VIDEO]
    "The last thing I would want to do is cause a by election in my constituency"

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1667184705601519622?s=20

Lets hope so
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    biggles said:

Pulpstar said:

DougSeal said:

Who wins in Mid Beds?

Mid Beds isn't particularly Brexity at all -

The estimate for Mid Beds, 52.06% leave; North Shropshire 60.46% leave.

According to Chris Hanretty. About average for the nation.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,580
    edited June 2023
    eek said:

Byelection time

"Arise, Dame Dingleberry . . .'?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,194
    It would be hard for CON to win any by election at the moment.
  • Options
    Another win for Metformin.

Truly one of the wonder drugs; available as a cheap generic for decades, and one of the most widely prescribed diabetes medications in the world.

"Outpatient treatment with metformin reduced long COVID incidence by about 41%, with an absolute reduction of 4.1%, compared with placebo."

Metformin is cheap, safe & widely available.

A really well run clinical trial.

https://twitter.com/BogochIsaac/status/1666976218791419905
  • Options
    Leon, are you heading for Pittsburgh? Or more southern route toward Gettysburg?
  • Options
    biggles said:

boulay said:

biggles said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Sorry.
    It's always the whey, I guess.
  • Options
    Off (Announced) Topic

Courthouse News Service - Lawyer who cited bogus legal opinions from ChatGPT pleads AI ignorance

A federal judge foreshadowed on Thursday that the citations of AI-generated fake cases were just the start of punishable legal malpractice.

A New York lawyer whose court filings included fake case citations generated by ChatGPT apologized Thursday afternoon for getting duped by the artificial intelligence tool, but the federal judge overseeing potential sanctions appeared unlikely to show any mercy.

While ChatGPT’s AI-powered chat app reached hundreds of millions of users in the months after it launched on Nov. 30, 2022, as a free application on the website OpenAI, attorney Steven Schwartz told a federal judge on Thursday the newness of the technology some three months after its online debut led him to falsely assume it was a “super search engine,” while researching cases in an underlying civil personal injury litigation.

“It just never occurred to me that it would be making up cases,” Schwartz testified, explaining that he was unable at the time suspend disbelief that ChatGPT could generated totally fabricated responses to his research inquiries. . . .

Schwartz testified he’s “never come close to being sanctioned in any case or tribunal.”

He also noted having taken a continuing legal education course in artificial intelligence.

The lawyer's attorneys, Ronald Minkoff and Tyler Maulsby from Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz, each argued that Schwartz made a careless mistake and should have noticed the red flags along the way but shouldn’t be accused of acting in bad faith. . . .

U.S. District Judge Castel did not rule on punishment on Thursday . . . . but hinted that the lawyer’s use of ChatGPT was only “the beginning of the narrative, not the end.”

“I doubt we would be here today if the narrative ended there,” the judge said before adjourning on Thursday afternoon.

“It’s not fair to pick apart people's words, but I’ll just note that his has been repeatedly described as a mistake,” he continued. “I understand why it’s framed that way. The mistake was to have submitted the brief on March 1st that cited nonexistent cases, but that’s not what this is all about, that’s part of what it’s about.” . . .

The release of ChatGPT last year captured the world’s attention because of its ability to generate human-like responses based on what it has learned from scanning vast amounts of online materials.

With concerns emerging, European lawmakers have moved swiftly in recent months to add language on general AI systems as they put the finishing touches on the legislation.

In the wake of publicity about Schwartz’s case, a Texas judge issued an order last week banning the use of generative artificial intelligence to write court filings without additional fact-checking conducted by an actual person.

https://www.courthousenews.com/lawyer-who-cited-bogus-legal-opinions-from-chatgpt-pleads-ai-ignorance/
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    I see the Wikipedia page about the suspended Labour MP has been edited:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bambos_Charalambous

Charalambos "Bombastic Bambos" Charalambous (born 2 December 1967) is a British politician serving as the Member of Parliament (MP) for Enfield Southgate since 2017.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

biggles said:

Pulpstar said:

DougSeal said:

Who wins in Mid Beds?

Mid Beds isn't particularly Brexity at all -

The estimate for Mid Beds, 52.06% leave; North Shropshire 60.46% leave.

According to Chris Hanretty. About average for the nation.
    Are you sure? It’s basically Central Beds (https://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/directory_record/2653/eu_referendum_result_-_2016) shorn of some remain demographic type towns.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 645
    I wondered if Nad had had a conversation with Rishi:
    'Look, Nadine, I can't let you have a peerage in Boris's list right now, but I promise I'll put you through when you leave the Commons.'
    'Ok, Rishi, sounds fine. Oh look, I've resigned from the Commons.'
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    Ghedebrav said:

biggles said:

boulay said:

biggles said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Sorry.
    As the Mandalorian said whilst smuggling a case of fermenting Lymeswold past the Imperial blockade :)
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,229
    edited June 2023
    eek said:

Byelection time

Laydee Dorries of GoFuckYourself
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    Ghedebrav said:

biggles said:

boulay said:

biggles said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Sorry.
    It could of course be exciting in Newcastle. In which case it would be always the whey-hey.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Sorry.
    The cheese in question is casu marzu. It’s from Sardinia not Germany. It’s banned by the EU but quite easy to get in the mountains, in season

A friend of mine tried it and pronounced it delicious, the only thing that unnerved him was the fact he had to wear goggles during the meal, as the mites occasionally jump out at you, and start eating your eyes
  • Options
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Sorry.
    The cheese in question is casu marzu. It’s from Sardinia not Germany. It’s banned by the EU but quite easy to get in the mountains, in season

A friend of mine tried it and pronounced it delicious, the only thing that unnerved him was the fact he had to wear goggles during the meal, as the mites occasionally jump out at you, and start eating your eyes
    Ah, ok. Those aren’t normal cheese mites. Blimey.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Pulpstar said:

DougSeal said:

Who wins in Mid Beds?

If only there was a renowned betting expert in the vicinity who could point its denizens in the right direction.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    Come on BF, get a market up.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Sorry.

It was banned in Italy from 1962. Apparently "the risk of eating casu marzu is that the maggots can burrow into your stomach or cause enteric myiasis, a disease that includes severe stomach cramps and nausea."

Which doesn't sound *that* pleasant.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    Maybe she’s forced a by-election now to embarrass Sunak with a result she knows isn’t going the Tories’ way. But it’s hard to see even this government losing in Mid Beds.
  • Options
    So is there any suggestion that Dorries has been influenced by information about the report of the Privileges Committee?
  • Options
    biggles said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Sorry.

Ah, ok. Those aren’t normal cheese mites. Blimey.
    On checking, it all makes sense - not mites but jumping maggots (hence the name cheese skipper).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_martzu

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Sorry.

It was banned in Italy from 1962. Apparently "the risk of eating casu marzu is that the maggots can burrow into your stomach or cause enteric myiasis, a disease that includes severe stomach cramps and nausea."

Love wikipedia's deadpan: "Some who eat the cheese prefer not to ingest the maggots."
  • Options
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Sorry.

You (or possibly your friend) are the epitome of the gullible tourist, swallowing every tall story going.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

DougSeal said:

Who wins in Mid Beds?

If only there was a renowned betting expert in the vicinity who could point its denizens in the right direction.
    BUT...

In North Shrops, there'd been severe resentment at the behaviour of the former Tory MP. In Chesham & Amersham, real resentment at Tory policies.

In Mid Beds, there's no real evidence of any serious unhappiness with Mad Nad, or any - now the even Madder Truss has gone - any more worries about Sunak's policies than anywhere else. Even the Lib Dems themselves merely argue that Mid Beds is in the middle of the Blue Wall. But so what? And if the LDs win this in August, they'll lose it in a year anyway.

At best, this is going to be the Brecon & Radnor of the Sunak adminstration.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Sorry.

Love wikipedia's deadpan: "Some who eat the cheese prefer not to ingest the maggots."
    Actually illegal to sell, which might increase its appeal to Leon.
    I think I'd want it refrigerated, as I wouldn't entirely trust the paper bag method.
    ...Casu martzu is considered by Sardinian aficionados to be unsafe to eat when the maggots in the cheese have died.[8] Because of this, only cheese in which the maggots are still alive is usually eaten, although allowances are made for cheese that has been refrigerated, which results in the maggots being killed.[8] When the cheese has fermented enough, it is often cut into thin strips and spread on moistened Sardinian flatbread (pane carasau), to be served with a strong red wine like cannonau.[6][9] Casu martzu is believed to be an aphrodisiac by Sardinians.[10] Because the larvae in the cheese can launch themselves for distances up to 15 centimetres (6 in) when disturbed,[4][11] diners hold their hands above the sandwich to prevent the maggots from leaping. Some who eat the cheese prefer not to ingest the maggots. Those who do not wish to eat them place the cheese in a sealed paper bag. The maggots, starved for oxygen, writhe and jump in the bag, creating a "pitter-patter" sound. When the sounds subside, the maggots are dead and the cheese can be eaten..
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 128
    Re Dorries, I wonder if this is a stunt to show the Tories can still win a seat. But then, she presumably has no particular desire to help Sunak out.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Sorry.

You (or possibly your friend) are the epitome of the gullible tourist, swallowing every tall story going.

“Casu marzu is an illegal Sardinian cheese that is served riddled with writhing maggots that try to jump into your eyeballs as you eat it.”

https://boingboing.net/2009/01/15/maggot-cheese-that-t.html
  • Options
    I was wondering if Mike had gone on holiday without telling anyone?
  • Options
    The most reliable checker has confirmed those Ukrainian losses.

Ukrainian losses updated with:

3x Leopard 2A6 (1 destroyed, 2x abandoned)
    4x M2 Bradley (abandoned)
    1x VAB APC (abandoned)
    1x Oshkosh M-ATV MRAP (abandoned)

More losses will be added tonight (including ~six more M2 Bradleys).

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1667196682205908992

Presumably what the Russians were getting so excited about a couple of days ago (though they claimed three or four times as many).
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,156
    Go Nads
    © @GIN1138 I believe some time ago
  • Options
    My friend actually sent a video of his lunch of casu marzu. It’s quite unnerving. The cheese *writhes* on the plate
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Go Nads

I think TSE was first:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/162397#Comment_162397
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    Nigelb said:

The most reliable checker has confirmed those Ukrainian losses.

Ukrainian losses updated with:

3x Leopard 2A6 (1 destroyed, 2x abandoned)
    4x M2 Bradley (abandoned)
    1x VAB APC (abandoned)
    1x Oshkosh M-ATV MRAP (abandoned)

More losses will be added tonight (including ~six more M2 Bradleys).

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1667196682205908992

Presumably what the Russians were getting so excited about a couple of days ago (though they claimed three or four times as many).

when it comes to claims, this makes me more likely to 'trust' Ukrainian figures. It would be easy for them to massage the figures and that they shot down a Kalibr missile.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1667198259788431361
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

eek said:

Byelection time

Laydee Dorries of GoFuckYourself
    Is it true she's leaving because she didn't get her title?

Isn't that on a par with Yaya leaving City because he didn't get his birthday cake?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Sorry.

Are we talking about cheese or Nadine Dorries here?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Sky

Dorries - parting shot to Sunak over the honours list

Something significant has changed my mind
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,156
    edited June 2023
    Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Go Nads

I think TSE was first:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/162397#Comment_162397
    You could be right. Since your Googlefoo is clearly superior to mine, would you mind checking GIN1138 too? tia

• Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    For those saying Mid Beds is an easy Tory win atm, this puts it within the margin of error.

https://twitter.com/leftiestats/status/1667185581380493312?s=46&t=16Vx1hkPdKeRguANzrOtZQ

Is Voter ID going to be mandatory in the bye election? With some evidence suggesting it has hurt the Tories just as much as Labour, I could imagine an enthusiasm gap for those who go to vote without ID on them and then not coming back depending on party…
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    Farooq said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Sorry.

Are we talking about cheese or Nadine Dorries here?
    Let's not talk about revolting things.

Just stick to the cheese.
  • Options
    Brutal.

• Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Hilarious, if it were not so sad that someone could be sooo incredibly thick and ignorant. This person has a vote ffs!
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Ladbrokes- Mid Bedfordshire
    LD 4/5
    Tories 11/8
    Labour 7/1

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Johnson resignation list published

Looks like Dorries has been left off
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Being trans doesn't affect anyone else either, when it comes to pronouns etc, but does when it comes to safeguarding. When it comes to safeguarding, there needs to be a sensible balance of risk, that's what safeguarding is all about.

I'm just curious. Can anyone point to a case where a criminal offence has been facilitated (in any practical way) by the perpetrator claiming to be trans?
    Yep Karen White

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/11/transgender-prisoner-who-sexually-assaulted-inmates-jailed-for-life

Thanks. So that was a case of someone claiming to be trans being transferred to a women's prison and then sexually assaulting female prisoners.

I wonder - are there any cases outside the prison system? As women's toilets loom so large in the online discussion, are there any cases involving women's toilets?
    I'll repost this on the new thread, as I'd be genuinely interested to know the answer.
    There was also a rape by someone claiming to be trans on a single sex ward, one the nhs denied happened for a long time on the basis there was no man on the ward

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/news/politics/hospital-says-patient-could-not-26506744
  • Options
    148grss said:

148grss said:

I have said before and will say again - the GOP persecution complex, along with establishment GOP defences of Trump, will mean this will make it more likely Trump will be the GOP nominee, not less.

If you would care to share (and absolutely fine if you don't) are you USA based?

All perspectives are welcome, just given our recent interactions, I'm wondering.

Not that geographical location makes views any more or less valid.

Well, not entirely....

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-exposes-sick-russian-troll-factory-plaguing-social-media-with-kremlin-propaganda

To be clear - I'm not remotely suggesting this is you!

No - UK born and raised, and live in Herts. I got addicted to US politics towards the end of the Bush era when I was at school, and have been ever since.

My interest in LGBTQ+ issues comes from the fact I am not straight, have lots of queer friends, family and exes, and prefer to live in a world that doesn’t needlessly cause harm to people.
    Good for you - and agree that we shouldn't live in a world that causes harm to people.

The issue, as I see is it, is that some seek to deny the importance of biology and there are some areas (not all) where where "sex" (as in natal) trumps "gender".

Both are important, and in some cases, one is more important than the other.

Since one is based in science (sex), the other in philosophy (gender), as a Scientist, I favour "sex" in some circumstances.

My concern with the current situation is mainly twofold:

Children: - I fear we are in the early stages of a catastrophic medical scandal. I don't know, but I am deeply concerned that the "affirmative care" model is being driven by activists (seeking self affirmation?) and medics with a profit motive.

The recent pauses in Europe should give the US pause for thought, but it's disastrously caught up in a toxic "Culture War" where both sides are more interested in scoring points than seeking truth. It is possible that the US will have proved to have been "ahead of the curve" in treating gender dysphoria - but the science is not even remotely there yet. They weren't ahead of the curve on "pain management" and look where that got them.

Women: This involves sports and single sex spaces. To be blunt "Trans Women in sports are cheating". Not yet too much of a problem in the UK, but in the US its already having an effect on female participation.

This is marketed as "Trans women are being banned from sport".

They're not - they are free to compete with people of their own sex - just not with people of their own assumed gender.

On Single Sex spaces, I hope it doesn't need too much clarification why female victims of male violence would not want to be housed with male people (however they identify)

Have you read any of:

Material Girls: Kathleen Stock
    Time to Think: Helen Barnes
    Trans: When Ideology Meets Reality
    Cass Review: https://cass.independent-review.uk/publications/interim-report/

I'd be interested in your thoughts.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

Sky

Dorries - parting shot to Sunak over the honours list

Something significant has changed my mind

I do hope Sunak doesn't allow her ennoblement. She is the female personification (where Johnson is the male) of how Johnson and his populist supporters wrecked the Tory Party It is idiots like her that have doomed us to years and years of stifling public sector bloating wealth destroying Labour rule that is inevitable after the next GE.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I'm late on the news........

But it looks like dogs are eating dogs...
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,442

Johnson resignation list published

Looks like Dorries has been left off

Highlights:

Boris Johnson's resignation honours list:

Knighthoods:

Conor Burns
    Simon Clarke
    Ben Elliot
    Michael Fabricant
    Will Lewis
    Jacob Rees Mogg

Damehoods:

Andrea Jenkyns
    Amanda Milling
    Priti Patel
    Ann Sindall
    Shelley Williams-Walker

Peerages:

Shaun Bailey
    Ben Gascoigne
    Ben Houchen
    Ross Kempsell
    Charlotte Owen
    Kulveer Ranger
    Dan Rosenfield

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1667202060683444228

It's a bit lavender, isn't it?

There's one for the teenagers.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    I almost respect those Republicans who admit they don't think ex-Presidents should be charged even if they commit crimes (at least, their Presidents), as it is more honest than many of the other reactions. And clearly where Trump is coming from else he'd have no reason to bang on about how many votes he got, since that has nothing to do with whether you should be charged for crimes after you leave office.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    Greenwich is lovely!
This discussion has been closed.