Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The CON-LAB voters’ split on which news outlets are most trusted – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,540
    edited May 2023
    Depressing as fuck to think this might be the case for the next few years as well for both the Bundesliga and the Premier League.

Jürgen Klopp remains the last manager to stop Bayern Munich from winning the Bundesliga and the last manager to stop Man City from winning the Premier League.

https://twitter.com/michael_reid11/status/1662480904072118275
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,031
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

ANOTHER hard day at the office comes finally to an end. And the long commute begins

I rather like the way the glass is irrefutably more than half-empty. Was that your intention?

No, no. It’s still half-full!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,872
    tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

Another Brexit vision sadly turns out to be a mirage:

3 December 2020:

The government has unveiled plans to ban the export of live animals for slaughter and fattening.

The proposals form part of an eight-week consultation, launched by Defra secretary George Eustice in England and Wales on Thursday (3 December), seeking views on how to better protect animal welfare during transport.

“We are committed to improving the welfare of animals at all stages of life. Today marks a major step forward in delivering on our manifesto commitment to end live exports for slaughter,” said Mr Eustice.

“Now that we have left the EU, we have an opportunity to end this unnecessary practice. We want to ensure that animals are spared stress prior to slaughter.”

https://www.fwi.co.uk/livestock/health-welfare/government-proposes-ban-on-live-animal-exports-for-slaughter

26 May 2023:

Rishi Sunak’s government has ditched a bill that would effectively have banned the export of live farmed animals for fattening and slaughter.

In a statement to the House of Commons on Thursday 25 May, Defra farming minister Mark Spencer confirmed the government was dropping the Kept Animals Bill.

Mr Spencer told MPs that while animal welfare “has been a key priority of the government”, the legislation “risked being extended far beyond the original commitments in the manifesto”.

But he insisted the government would be “taking forward measures in the Kept Animals Bill individually during the remainder of this parliament”.

The Conservative Animal Welfare Foundation said it was disappointed by the government’s decision to drop the bill.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/farm-policy/uk-government-drops-bill-to-end-live-animal-exports

Except it is not a mirage at all. It is something we can now do which we were unable to do previously. The fact that this dregs of a Government has decided not to do it doesn't change that. It just means we will have to wait until they are gone before we do it.

The option is now there to do it. All it takes is a Government with some compassion.
    Genuinely curious why they have dropped the Animal Welfare bill. This is something they can do that they couldn't before, as you say, and could be presented as a Brexit benefit when there are hardly any others.
    You might expect this government to want to
    claim Brexit benefits.
    Apparently it’s because they didn’t fancy dealing with amendments such as a ban on trail hunting. I think there’s a few newish Tory MPs who might have rebelled on that.

Stupid MP’s, to try to wreck a bill that could have done much to promote animal welfare, over something as trivial as trail hunting.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,093
    @benrileysmith
    EXC: Rishi Sunak has quietly “killed” off Boris Johnson’s flagship social care reforms

Three sources say he firmly opposed the plan when Boris pushed it in 2021. Thought it was “crap”, per one

Gov insists it’s coming Oct 2025 but insiders says it’s dead

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1662518313694502912
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194

Depressing as fuck to think this might be the case for the next few years as well for both the Bundesliga and the Premier League.

Jürgen Klopp remains the last manager to stop Bayern Munich from winning the Bundesliga and the last manager to stop Man City from winning the Premier League.

https://twitter.com/michael_reid11/status/1662480904072118275

The difference is that since Dortmund won the Bundesliga in 2011-12, the following managers have won the Bundesliga with Bayern: Jupp Heynckes, Pep Guardiola, Carlo Ancelotti, Niko Kovac, Hansi Flick, Julian Nagelsmann and Thomas Tuchel.

City are dominant in large part because of Pep. For Bayern, it doesn’t matter who is their coach, they win.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,792
    nico679 said:

OMFG! No more ! This ridiculous media attention on Philip Schofield is doing my head in .

Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    @thetimes
    The Tories are facing an “electoral timebomb” because Millennial voters regard the Conservatives as “dishonest”, “incompetent” and “out of touch” — according to a new report this week which will make grim reading in Downing Street

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1662519033172992000
  • Options
    @Gabriel_Pogrund
    EXCL: Rishi Sunak and Boris Johnson have made contact about a private phone call this week — as Tory civil war threatens to explode again

Johnson intends to raise honours list. PM insists the topic is off the table; neither has agreed to time or date yet

More in tomorrow's ST

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1662507960260521986
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    Eco loons disrupted my rugby match
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Scott_xP said:

@thetimes
    The Tories are facing an “electoral timebomb” because Millennial voters regard the Conservatives as “dishonest”, “incompetent” and “out of touch” — according to a new report this week which will make grim reading in Downing Street

Shock, horror. I’ve not seen anything from the Tories that shows they understand anyone below the age of 60
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,526
    Scott_xP said:

@benrileysmith
    EXC: Rishi Sunak has quietly “killed” off Boris Johnson’s flagship social care reforms

Three sources say he firmly opposed the plan when Boris pushed it in 2021. Thought it was “crap”, per one

Gov insists it’s coming Oct 2025 but insiders says it’s dead

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1662518313694502912

This government promising a plan in Oct 2025 is functionally the same as them saying "never", isn't it?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

I hope the team you support has a somewhat more robust attitude.
  • Options
    The Tories are facing an “electoral timebomb” because millennial voters regard them as dishonest, incompetent and out of touch, according to a report this week.

The report, by the Onward think tank, says they are the first generation that has not become more conservative as they have got older.

This is significant because millennials, which the report classes as aged 25 to 40, are already the most numerous single demographic group in 51 per cent of parliamentary seats, outnumbering the older Generation X (aged 41-55) and baby boomers (56-70) and the younger Generation Z (aged 18-24). They outnumber Generation X in two thirds of seats. The report’s age boundaries depart from most definitions, which make baby boomers aged about 59-77; Gen X 42-58; millennials 27-41 and Gen Z 10-26.

“Millennials are the first demographic cohort not to become more right-wing as they age,” says the report, entitled Missing millennials: why the Conservatives lost a generation, and how to win them back.

“They are failing to acquire many of the attributes that have traditionally moved voters rightwards: home ownership, secure and stable employment, starting families. Without a stake in society, their political preferences are trending in the opposite direction. In fact, they are the first generation to become more left-wing as they age.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ef8c5318-fc90-11ed-aa31-73394e195d29?shareToken=c18ee3069b28b527388b9c45f59a8af4
  • Options

The Tories are facing an “electoral timebomb” because millennial voters regard them as dishonest, incompetent and out of touch, according to a report this week.

The report, by the Onward think tank, says they are the first generation that has not become more conservative as they have got older.

This is significant because millennials, which the report classes as aged 25 to 40, are already the most numerous single demographic group in 51 per cent of parliamentary seats, outnumbering the older Generation X (aged 41-55) and baby boomers (56-70) and the younger Generation Z (aged 18-24). They outnumber Generation X in two thirds of seats. The report’s age boundaries depart from most definitions, which make baby boomers aged about 59-77; Gen X 42-58; millennials 27-41 and Gen Z 10-26.

“Millennials are the first demographic cohort not to become more right-wing as they age,” says the report, entitled Missing millennials: why the Conservatives lost a generation, and how to win them back.

“They are failing to acquire many of the attributes that have traditionally moved voters rightwards: home ownership, secure and stable employment, starting families. Without a stake in society, their political preferences are trending in the opposite direction. In fact, they are the first generation to become more left-wing as they age.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ef8c5318-fc90-11ed-aa31-73394e195d29?shareToken=c18ee3069b28b527388b9c45f59a8af4

I've been saying this for years - but been persistently told just to wait.

The problem is the Tories have failed to build houses. So you have created Labour voters.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,366
    Penalties in the play-off: 2-2 so far
  • Options
    Omnium said:

I hope the team you support has a somewhat more robust attitude.
    They lost.

But what was the point? What did the loons achieve?
  • Options
    The report warns that the Tory “brand lies in tatters” among millennials, 72 per cent of whom thought the country was “going in the wrong direction”. The top five attributes they associated with the Tories were all negative. Only 8 per cent thought the Conservatives “stand up for people like me” and 31 per cent thought they were “dishonest”.

In the focus groups in Stourbridge and Basingstoke multiple voters described the Tories as “liars” and “incompetent”. One parent in Basingstoke said they stood for: “Keep the rich, rich and the poor, poor.”

By contrast, their top six views of Labour were positive — including “stands up for people like me”, “relatable” and “has a vision for a country”. The highest positive Tory attribute was “strong”, cited by 12 per cent of millennials, but even there Labour beat them with 15 per cent.

When asked why they would not vote Conservative, 26 per cent of millennials said “they cannot be trusted to manage the economy”, compared with 22 per cent of non-millennials and only 17 per cent of over-65s. The report concludes: “The market shock” caused by Liz Truss’s 2022 mini-budget “has undermined one of the traditional strengths of the Conservative brand”.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,475
    edited May 2023
    Scott_xP said:

@Gabriel_Pogrund
    EXCL: Rishi Sunak and Boris Johnson have made contact about a private phone call this week — as Tory civil war threatens to explode again

Johnson intends to raise honours list. PM insists the topic is off the table; neither has agreed to time or date yet

More in tomorrow's ST

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1662507960260521986

Is that it? They've had a phone call about having a phone call but they can't agree why? And why does the honours list matter? ETA I'd need more than that to rush out and buy the ST.
  • Options

The report warns that the Tory “brand lies in tatters” among millennials, 72 per cent of whom thought the country was “going in the wrong direction”. The top five attributes they associated with the Tories were all negative. Only 8 per cent thought the Conservatives “stand up for people like me” and 31 per cent thought they were “dishonest”.

In the focus groups in Stourbridge and Basingstoke multiple voters described the Tories as “liars” and “incompetent”. One parent in Basingstoke said they stood for: “Keep the rich, rich and the poor, poor.”

By contrast, their top six views of Labour were positive — including “stands up for people like me”, “relatable” and “has a vision for a country”. The highest positive Tory attribute was “strong”, cited by 12 per cent of millennials, but even there Labour beat them with 15 per cent.

When asked why they would not vote Conservative, 26 per cent of millennials said “they cannot be trusted to manage the economy”, compared with 22 per cent of non-millennials and only 17 per cent of over-65s. The report concludes: “The market shock” caused by Liz Truss’s 2022 mini-budget “has undermined one of the traditional strengths of the Conservative brand”.

I am young. Can confirm the Tories are irrelevant to my age cohort.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@thetimes

Shock, horror. I’ve not seen anything from the Tories that shows they understand anyone below the age of 60
    They don't. We are all communist remainer lazy scum.
  • Options

Penalties in the play-off: 2-2 so far

5-5 now - sudden death!
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    My touch has returned today.

Cannot wait for the Super League clubs to visit here next season.

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,866
    edited May 2023
    Can anyone point to a Rishi Sunak policy?
    The cupboard is bare.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,955

Scott_xP said:

@thetimes

They don't. We are all communist remainer lazy scum.
    Even worse - you might be working from home. The horror!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

Yet in 2019 the Tories won over 39s in 1997 the Tories even lost over 65s
  • Options
    Coventry miss!

Luton win 6-5 on penalties and are promoted!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,866

I am young. Can confirm the Tories are irrelevant to my age cohort.
    Irrelevant to anyone much under the age of 70.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

Scott_xP said:

@thetimes

Hey, I’m over 60.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,271

Yes, the press report said they were jeered and had beer thrown on them.

I somehow don’t think it was beer.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yet in 2019 the Tories won over 39s in 1997 the Tories even lost over 65s
    Er, that was four years ago...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    Just can't stand that. The whole defeat loaded onto one player. Ditch the penalty shootout please. It's indefensible.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Just can't stand that. The whole defeat loaded onto one player. Ditch the penalty shootout please. It's indefensible.

And replace it with what?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961

You backed Luton, result was a draw for betting purposes
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,560
    kinabalu said:

It's not indefensible, unless they don't have a goalkeeper.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,762

The cupboard is bare.

Sunak is in favour of laissez faire. Not having any policies is presumably his policy.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

You backed Luton, result was a draw for betting purposes
    Yup.
  • Options
    Who is in the prem if Luton fail to develop their ground ?
  • Options
    We've got a looming constitutional crisis coming up thanks to our unelected head of state.

Will the first King’s speech delivered by Charles include meaningful bills for change - or legislative proposals about the unions and gender equality designed to put Labour on the spot.

And will Buckingham Palace go along with such a political act?

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1662470246622547971/photo/1

Tories will have turning the country into a republic in their 2029 manifesto.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Cov presumably
  • Options

Both my Irish and American colleagues were moaning about us getting our 3rd holiday in 1 month, including for the Coronation.

I pointed out that both of them could have kept the King and had the day off...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,354

We've got a looming constitutional crisis coming up thanks to our unelected head of state.

Will the first King’s speech delivered by Charles include meaningful bills for change - or legislative proposals about the unions and gender equality designed to put Labour on the spot.

He will do what he is told. As he should. The job no longer comes with the right to have a public opinion.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604
    stodge said:

A question I posed to someone earlier today.

When was the last time a UK general election coincided with a US Presidential election? I'm talking about within one month of each other.

This is the scenario we may find ourselves in next year.

1964. 19 days apart.

Discussed this issue earlier on this year

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/01/01/can-you-cope-with-two-massive-elections-at-the-same-time/
    1924 was even closer. The UK voted on Wednesday October 29th, the US on the following Tuesday, November 4th.

For 2024, the equivalent dates would be Thursday October 31st and Tuesday November 5th.

24/10/24 for the next UK General Election? Any thoughts?
    No. Thanks to base effects from August 23 to June 24 the energy element of inflation within the CPI will be negative, barring a wholly unexpected resurgence in energy prices. Those base effects disappear in the July 24 CPI, announced in late August 24, so thanks to energy costs there will be a significant spike in inflation from then that will last for the rest of the year. Sunak will be desperate to get the GE in before August 24.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Argument I read the other day was that it would be the club that finished 18th in the Premier League this season.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Something akin to boxing. If a team wins on goals scored that's it. They win the match. That's equivalent to the knockout or stoppage. If it's equal on that metric (ie a draw after extra time) you get a 'decision'. Like the points verdict on a boxing match that goes the distance. A panel of (expert and independent) judges score the game based on things such as possession, chances created, style, sportsmanship. So the win goes to the better team on the day. The team who played best. Who deserved to win. It'd still have plenty of suspense if the match has been close. That excruciating wait for the judge's scores to be announced. Fantastic. But also fair and above all humane.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    kinabalu said:

Its sport , its supposed to have drama, failure and victory - deal with it
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Something akin to boxing. If a team wins on goals scored that's it. They win the match. That's equivalent to the knockout or stoppage. If it's equal on that metric (ie a draw after extra time) you get a 'decision'. Like the points verdict on a boxing match that goes the distance. A panel of (expert and independent) judges score the game based on things such as possession, chances created, style, sportsmanship. So the win goes to the better team on the day. The team who played best. Who deserved to win. It'd still have plenty of suspense if the match has been close. That excruciating wait for the judge's scores to be announced. Fantastic. But also fair and above all humane.
    That's not going to work.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

there are a lot of bad things in this world that need fixing and are inhumane but penalty shoot outs are not inhumane
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,502

The cupboard is bare.

There's the 'energy security' bill that will add £118 of green levies to everyone's yearly bill, so that's nice.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Well nor does this imo. NB, Luton would still have won under my system, I think.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,821

Pulpstar said:

Argument I read the other day was that it would be the club that finished 18th in the Premier League this season.
    If it's Leeds count me in for the crowdfunder.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Well nor does this imo. NB, Luton would still have won under my system, I think.
    Yep they were very very slightly better
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,385
    stodge said:

A question I posed to someone earlier today.

When was the last time a UK general election coincided with a US Presidential election? I'm talking about within one month of each other.

This is the scenario we may find ourselves in next year.

1964. 19 days apart.

Discussed this issue earlier on this year

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/01/01/can-you-cope-with-two-massive-elections-at-the-same-time/
    1924 was even closer. The UK voted on Wednesday October 29th, the US on the following Tuesday, November 4th.

For 2024, the equivalent dates would be Thursday October 31st and Tuesday November 5th.

24/10/24 for the next UK General Election? Any thoughts?
    The last possible date on summer time.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Thread on stunning underground station interiors. This is in Tashkent.

https://twitter.com/culturaltutor/status/1662356673669877761
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,110

Pulpstar said:

What is actually wrong with the Luton ground? If its not safe, surely it wouldn't have been allowed to have fans in the Championship. Seems just like elitism to me.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Pulpstar said:

What is actually wrong with the Luton ground? If its not safe, surely it wouldn't have been allowed to have fans in the Championship. Seems just like elitism to me.
    It doesn't have the facilities for the broadcasters.

PLP delivers a top quality product.
  • Options
    This week's Opinium poll for @ObserverUK

Little change as Labour's lead goes from 14 to 15

Labour 43% (n/c)
    Conservative 28% (-1)
    Lib Dem 9% (-2)
    Green 7% (+2)
    Reform UK 6% (n/c)

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1662539333100793863
  • Options
    Taz said:

Yes, the press report said they were jeered and had beer thrown on them.

I somehow don’t think it was beer.
    They had the entire crowd in unison tell them to fuck off and waved the wanker sign at them. What did that possibly achieve?

I went on the train, did they expect me to walk?
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Labour 43% (n/c)
    Conservative 28% (-1)
    Lib Dem 9% (-2)
    Green 7% (+2)
    Reform UK 6% (n/c)

paging @MoonRabbit :lol:
  • Options

Labour 43% (n/c)
    Conservative 28% (-1)
    Lib Dem 9% (-2)
    Green 7% (+2)
    Reform UK 6% (n/c)

Hung Parliament. Keir is no Tony Blair but I love him
  • Options
    @kateferguson4
    EXCL - More resignation honours drama! 🎖️

Liz Truss has sparked fury in Whitehall by trying to hand out gongs to a dozen of her closest pals and donors - despite only lasting 49 days in No10

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1662540678050504704
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 600
    FF43 said:

My brother was due to go on holiday to Uzbekistan this month but he had a stroke at Easter. He's recovering well but the trip has been cancelled.
  • Options

You are a Tory. Is it time for this iteration of the Tories to burn?
  • Options

Labour 43% (n/c)
    Conservative 28% (-1)
    Lib Dem 9% (-2)
    Green 7% (+2)
    Reform UK 6% (n/c)

Hung Parliament. Keir is no Tony Blair but I love him
    Lib dems losing support probably because of Ed Daveys ridiculous statement
  • Options
    The Ukrainian High command has put this up today: https://twitter.com/CinC_AFU

I know they love winding Russians up but this sounds very serious.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,955
    Sorry - can't remember who it was that posted about Harry/Meghan split rumours a while back. But seems to be surfacing in the papers.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/prince-harry-contacted-divorce-lawyers-30085850

• Options
    WillG said:

Pulpstar said:

yes I detest the stadia laws as well - sport is about what happens on the field not the balance sheet
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,502
    Scott_xP said:

@kateferguson4

Liz Truss has sparked fury in Whitehall by trying to hand out gongs to a dozen of her closest pals and donors - despite only lasting 49 days in No10

Why would that 'spark fury' if it's her constitutional right? Could the assorted scrotes of Whitehall maybe do a little work instead of constantly journalist-bothering?
  • Options
    SandraMc said:

FF43 said:

My brother was due to go on holiday to Uzbekistan this month but he had a stroke at Easter. He's recovering well but the trip has been cancelled.
    Sorry to hear that. Hope he gets to go find time. I have never been but sounds a fascinating country.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@kateferguson4

Why would that 'spark fury' if it's her constitutional right? Could the assorted scrotes of Whitehall maybe do a little work instead of constantly journalist-bothering?
    Can you point me to the part of the constitution that right is enshrined?

Tony Blair and Gordon Brown had the decency to be ashamed and not submit a resignation honours list.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,281
    Summary is that we need to kill AI before AI kills us

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/may/26/future-ai-chilling-humans-threat-civilisation

If AI does actually start running rampant, @leon is Gaius Baltar
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,711
    I assume we’ve already done the Braverman polling? As bad as Truss during the Autumn dream sequence.

https://twitter.com/opiniumresearch/status/1662539342584086529?s=46

Labour will be praying she takes the post election LOTO position in 2024.
  • Options
    MuesliMuesli Posts: 91
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

No. How could you argue that deciding promotion in such a subjective fashion would be fair? In a sport that can’t even manage video refereeing properly and uncontroversially? No. Just no.

I don’t know what the answer is mind. Maybe league performance if the playoff final is tied after 120 minutes? On the one hand, I could see that encouraging one team to park the bus but, OTOH, the other team would be forced on to the front foot I guess.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901
    edited May 2023
    I'm astonished the Kremlin hasn't given it's diplomats a line beyond 'Fighting back, or helping others to fight back, is an unacceptable escalation!' after more than a year.

Russia has warned Western supplies of weapons to Ukraine risk escalating the war to levels not seen so far.

Andrei Kelin, Russia's ambassador to the UK, told the BBC his country had "enormous resources" and it was yet to "act very seriously".

His remarks come despite more than a year of fighting and widespread evidence of Russian war crimes.

In the interview with Laura Kuenssberg, he suggested he was offended when challenged about Russia's conduct.

Speaking exclusively to the BBC, Mr Kelin warned of a "new dimension" in the war.

Insisting Russia "hasn't just started yet to act very seriously", the ambassador said "Russia is 16 times bigger than Ukraine. We have enormous resources."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65720980

This is the problem when they made nuclear threats simply for people saying nasty things about Russia. They also never seem to care about the implication that they haven't really been bothering much up to this point, in terms of makign their own fight harder apparently.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

Why would that put Labour on the spot? Surely Labour are in favour of women's rights?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

SandraMc said:

FF43 said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope he gets to go find time. I have never been but sounds a fascinating country.
    Post Soviet countries pecking order as tourist attractions - I assume (now, with Ukraine and Russia both off limits) that Uzbekistan comes second or 3rd, after Georgia and Estonia.
  • Options

Vote to Impeach Texas State Attorney General Ken Paxton

proceedings scheduled to commence 1pm Central = 7pm UK; see link for live stream:

https://house.texas.gov/video-audio/

San Antonio Current - Want to watch Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's impeachment proceeding? Here's how.

The Texas House of Representatives at 1 p.m. Saturday will debate a resolution to impeach Attorney General Ken Paxton, according to the House General Investigating Committee.

In a memo, the committee said the proceeding is necessary to address the Republican attorney general's “long-standing pattern of abuse of office and public trust.” The panel also warned that, without such an action, Paxton could "further obstruct and delay justice."

The proceeding will be available for viewing on the Texas House livestream. You're on your own when it comes to popping popcorn for the show.

The debate is expected to last four hours with time evenly split between those who support Paxton's impeachment and those who oppose, according to the committee memo. If the House votes for impeachment, the embattled AG would face trial in the Texas Senate.

If you need a rundown of the articles of impeachment, all 20 are summarized right here.

https://www.sacurrent.com/news/want-to-watch-texas-attorney-general-ken-paxtons-impeachment-proceedings-heres-how-31817302

A pattern of abuse of office and public trust? Why isn't he running for President?
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/may/26/future-ai-chilling-humans-threat-civilisation

Surely he is applying for the job of Locutus?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yes. The key audience for this message looks to be Ukrainians rather than third country supporters or Russia. Which suggests something big is about to happen.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

It is one area where the ex-Soviet sphere appears to kick our arse.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If it involves a judge, it isn't a sport, it's a performance.

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,281
    DavidL said:

Naah. Baltar chased a sexy yet psychotic blonde lady, did some travel, wrote reviews of new planets, then ended up as sex god for a harem.

That sounds like an average weekend for Leon.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,232
    FF43 said:

Built by Durin by the looks of it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Lawsuits are a performance? John Mortimer called them 'a good healthy game of chance.'
  • Options
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

My local, Gants Hill, is a pale imitation :lol:
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,792
    edited May 2023
    Regrettable news re Sir Wyn Williams, the judge chairing the Post Office inquiry. Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

https://twitter.com/PostOffInquiry/status/1662130792108048385

"Post Office Horizon IT Inquiry
    @PostOffInquiry

We are sorry to announce Sir Wyn Williams has been taken ill and so our June Phase 4 Hearings will be pushed back.
    It is Sir Wyn’s present intention to commence these hearings on Tuesday 4 July and to sit for the remainder of July."
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,042
    viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

You could do it on number of corners in the event of a tie after extra time.

Alternatively, you could have the penalty shoot out before extra time.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

the idea of sport is to create drama and tension not reduce it (for fear of possible hurt feelings )
  • Options
    edited May 2023

DavidL said:

Naah. Baltar chased a sexy yet psychotic blonde lady, did some travel, wrote reviews of new planets, then ended up as sex god for a harem.

That sounds like an average weekend for Leon.
    Given that in its latter seasons BSGs lore was so totally fucked (a trait RDM carried across to For All Mankind), they had to turn cast members into angels to make the plot work, i can't help thinking that that will not conclude Leon's arc.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Make the goals bigger
  • Options

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

The best of the bunch is probably Canary Wharf jubilee line station.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,588
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

Holden's Arnos Grove and Oakwood stations, each a listed gem, are shocked at the ostentatious vulgarity of this.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Lawsuits are a performance? John Mortimer called them 'a good healthy game of chance.'
    Possibly, yes. It would explain the gowns and wigs.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,482

Labour 43% (n/c)
    Conservative 28% (-1)
    Lib Dem 9% (-2)
    Green 7% (+2)
    Reform UK 6% (n/c)

paging @MoonRabbit :lol:
    Yes. I was wrong. I said 30-42. I was suckered by recent Tory increases and a few 30%s. But were those polls newbie pollsters, are we getting established v newbie split again? Survation 28, Ipsos 28, yougov 25, Opinium now 28 but with swingback.

Gap between Tories to labour is one measurement, Tories not breaking into 30s is another measurement, but a ridiculous 59% LLG with swingback built in? And we are just 10 months from the optimum day for the Tories to hold the election. Everyday beyond May 2nd next year is a worse result for them.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,906
    Extraordinary! The government is threatening to take legal action against the Covid Inquiry to stop them having access to unredacted documents . And in vomit inducing hypocrisy they’re trying to use the Human Rights Act to help them .

The very same Act that many of the right wing loons in the Tory party want to get rid of .

• Options
    edited May 2023
    TimS said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

The best of the bunch is probably Canary Wharf jubilee line station.
    Baker Street is nice if a little run down these days - Victorians were the last generation to have
    so much consistent style so Baker Street hangs on imho
  • Options
    @GuidoFawkes
    1h
    The. Body. Language.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

Scott_xP said:

@kateferguson4

Probably because it further discredits the Tories ?
    Those still in office evidently haven’t quite yet given up hope.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Yes. The key audience for this message looks to be Ukrainians rather than third country supporters or Russia. Which suggests something big is about to happen.
    If I were about to launch a major offensive I would be doing my best to downplay it in the hope of catching my enemy off guard, not boasting about it left, right and centre.

I hope for their sake that whatever it is doesn't turn out to be a damp squib. It wouldn't be optimal for morale in Ukraine.
  • Options
    Hung Parliament. Nailed on.

SKS is not Tony Blair but David Cameron.
This discussion has been closed.