Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why Sunak’s ratings might not be enough – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,032

Fishing said:

Taz said:

This is interesting. HMG are looking to buy missiles with a range of 100-300km to send to Ukraine.

"Missiles or Rockets with a range 100-300km; land, sea or air launch. Payload 20-490kg"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/international-fund-for-ukraine-ifu

Presumably the Ukrainian govt will reimburse us for these ?
    Why should it?

It is completely wrong to shaft people financially while they are fighting for freedom - ours as well as theirs.

And this is one type of aid which is pretty unlikely to be lost in corruption, I'd guess.
    The free advertising of British weapons shitting on Russian (and Russian inspired) weapons is probably worth billions in the international arms market.

Everyone wants NLAW etc. now….
    The interesting thing about NLAW versus Javelin is that they appear to be complementary, rather than competitor, systems. NLAW is shorter range, more luggable, one-use, and much cheaper; whilst Javelin is much longer range, reloadable, heavier and can be reloaded.
    Hmmm… but can you reload a Javelin?
    Well, I personally cannot. If I tried, I'd probably end up losing a few fingers at best, or shooting it at my face at worst. But someone experienced and trained apparently can easily reload Javelins. ;)

NLAWs are one-shot only - which is fine for certain situations.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

malcolmg said:

mwadams said:

I look forward to us all taking the pledge of allegiance on here:

"I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65435426

We were just saying that that can definitely get in the sea.
    Who is "we"?

There's a lot of egoism here, and not much duty. People who react like this tend to have a puffed up sense of their own importance and not much sense of their wider obligations to the country, which they take for granted.

You are swearing loyalty to our Head of State, and thus more broadly to the State, not a man who you have to personally and humiliating genuflect to in some sort of docile submission gesture of servitude - the monarch is, in effect, a public servant who represents our State and us on our behalf. He works for us.

It's a ritual of mutual obligations, and it's your duty,

So, get over yourself, and take the pledge.
    Absolute bollocks, I would not piss on the parasite if he was on fire. A lazy useless stuck up clown. A pox on the whole sorry gang of them.
    Personally I would have stopped at 'Absolute bollocks', but I appreciate your sentiment @malcolmg. I'm neither pro not anti so won't go as far as you, but the idea that it is my duty IS absolute bollocks. It is a choice.
    He is the Head of State, and that is not a choice.

So, if you're not swearing allegiance, it's effectively treason.
    Did you swear an oath to Queen Elizabeth? If not then you have been living your life as a traitor.
    There was no public oath at the late Queens coronation in 1953, not least because my grandmother who stood to attention most of the day, being an ardent royallist, would have made everyone present to solemnly join in

As a matter of interest apart from @OldKingCole and myself, are there any other of our fellow posters able to recall the Queens coronation or are we the only ones?
    My father used to spin the yarn of being made to stand to attention in the school quad on a bitterly cold Cape Town winter's day to listen to the coronation on SABC radio (the BBC Overseas Service didn't reach Africa in the early 50s). It was apparent to my 15 year old father that the SABC announcer wasn't actually in London but was in a basement full of Gunston smoke in Johannesburg describing what he thought might be happening in London.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056

Ghedebrav said:

Jonathan said:

The Badenoch DeSantis story in the telegraph is interesting because it exists. Clearly some Tory folk are thinking beyond Sunak.

DeSantis had pre-booked James Cleverly and Kemi Badenoch, the Foreign Secretary and President of the Board of Trade. Coincidence or not, both are Black which might help RDS in a presidential run. Likewise his visit to the Churchill War Rooms.
    Boringly, I suspect it’s precisely because of their official roles that he’s visiting them and there isn’t much more to it than that.
    De Santis is pretty enthusiastic about Badenoch in that article. I wonder how KB feels about that endorsement. I'm not sure it's an unalloyed benefit.
    It’s fine. If he becomes President it’s great. If he doesn’t he’s irrelevant

• Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463

Ghedebrav said:

Jonathan said:

The Badenoch DeSantis story in the telegraph is interesting because it exists. Clearly some Tory folk are thinking beyond Sunak.

DeSantis had pre-booked James Cleverly and Kemi Badenoch, the Foreign Secretary and President of the Board of Trade. Coincidence or not, both are Black which might help RDS in a presidential run. Likewise his visit to the Churchill War Rooms.
    Boringly, I suspect it’s precisely because of their official roles that he’s visiting them and there isn’t much more to it than that.
    De Santis is pretty enthusiastic about Badenoch in that article. I wonder how KB feels about that endorsement. I'm not sure it's an unalloyed benefit.

At this stage of proceedings I think it’s very hard to see past Badenoch as next leader.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Tres said:

One for @ydoethur

Assuming the leaders remain Sunak, Starmer, and Davey, when was the last general election where the Lib Dem/Liberal leader had cabinet experience and the leader of the opposition didn't?

87 if you include David Owen in the Alliance?
    I never thought of him.

I don't know an awful lot about the 1987 election. Was there a similar 'deal' between Steele/Owen as there had been between Steele/Hattersley over who would be PM if the Alliance won? Or had reality checked back in and they knew it wasn't going to happen?

From the little I know about David Owen I can't imagine he would have easily accepted a junior role to anyone else.
    The PM would have taken one half of David Steel's name ie. David, and one half of David Owen's name ie. Owen.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148

ydoethur said:

Tres said:

One for @ydoethur

Assuming the leaders remain Sunak, Starmer, and Davey, when was the last general election where the Lib Dem/Liberal leader had cabinet experience and the leader of the opposition didn't?

I never thought of him.

I don't know an awful lot about the 1987 election. Was there a similar 'deal' between Steele/Owen as there had been between Steele/Hattersley over who would be PM if the Alliance won? Or had reality checked back in and they knew it wasn't going to happen?

From the little I know about David Owen I can't imagine he would have easily accepted a junior role to anyone else.
    The PM would have taken one half of David Steel's name ie. David, and one half of David Owen's name ie. Owen.
    That’s from a contemporaneous Spitting Image sketch and I claim my £5
  • Options
    DialupDialup Posts: 561
    At the moment to me it seems like the Tories are in a similar position to Labour before GE19, with ideas every so often that they might somehow still win even though deep down I think most people have accepted they will not. Clearly Sunak’s ratings are hugely better than Corbyn’s but not much else is.

I just do not see enough positive signs at this stage to suggest they will be elected again.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

malcolmg said:

mwadams said:

"I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God."

Who is "we"?

There's a lot of egoism here, and not much duty. People who react like this tend to have a puffed up sense of their own importance and not much sense of their wider obligations to the country, which they take for granted.

You are swearing loyalty to our Head of State, and thus more broadly to the State, not a man who you have to personally and humiliating genuflect to in some sort of docile submission gesture of servitude - the monarch is, in effect, a public servant who represents our State and us on our behalf. He works for us.

Absolute bollocks, I would not piss on the parasite if he was on fire. A lazy useless stuck up clown. A pox on the whole sorry gang of them.
    Personally I would have stopped at 'Absolute bollocks', but I appreciate your sentiment @malcolmg. I'm neither pro not anti so won't go as far as you, but the idea that it is my duty IS absolute bollocks. It is a choice.

Did you swear an oath to Queen Elizabeth? If not then you have been living your life as a traitor.
    There was no public oath at the late Queens coronation in 1953, not least because my grandmother who stood to attention most of the day, being an ardent royallist, would have made everyone present to solemnly join in

As a matter of interest apart from @OldKingCole and myself, are there any other of our fellow posters able to recall the Queens coronation or are we the only ones?
    My father used to spin the yarn of being made to stand to attention in the school quad on a bitterly cold Cape Town winter's day to listen to the coronation on SABC radio (the BBC Overseas Service didn't reach Africa in the early 50s). It was apparent to my 15 year old father that the SABC announcer wasn't actually in London but was in a basement full of Gunston smoke in Johannesburg describing what he thought might be happening in London.
    Did he say it was drizzling with rain? Because it was!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,307

Ghedebrav said:

Jonathan said:

At this stage of proceedings I think it’s very hard to see past Badenoch as next leader.
    I can actually see 1979 and 1983 playing out again in reverse. Labour gets a decent but not spectacular win at the next election, but then wins by a landslide at the one after that because the Tories are led by an extremist political oddball.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871
    Blow up Dolphin!!

"A gun-making far-right extremist who said minorities “should be shot” & “God, I hate Muslims” has been convicted of terrorism offences in the Midlands.

Vaughn Dolphin even managed to blow up his own kitchen while experimenting with explosives.

Why haven't the MSM reported this?"
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429

Fishing said:

Taz said:

This is interesting. HMG are looking to buy missiles with a range of 100-300km to send to Ukraine.

"Missiles or Rockets with a range 100-300km; land, sea or air launch. Payload 20-490kg"

Why should it?

It is completely wrong to shaft people financially while they are fighting for freedom - ours as well as theirs.

And this is one type of aid which is pretty unlikely to be lost in corruption, I'd guess.
    The free advertising of British weapons shitting on Russian (and Russian inspired) weapons is probably worth billions in the international arms market.

The interesting thing about NLAW versus Javelin is that they appear to be complementary, rather than competitor, systems. NLAW is shorter range, more luggable, one-use, and much cheaper; whilst Javelin is much longer range, reloadable, heavier and can be reloaded.
    I don't think so.

An additional fun fact - the military used to sell expended rocket launcher tubes to civilians. The police realised that a useful way of dropping a bridge on gun nut far righties is to charge them, when they have one of these hanging on the wall, with possessing a weapon. Since they have never been deactivated, the fact that there are no reloads is considered irrelevant.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Tres said:

One for @ydoethur

I never thought of him.

Busted!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

One thing I've learnt is to take no notice of election posters. I learnt this in 1983, when the London constituency I lived in seemed to have Vote Labour posters in every other window, as we prepared for a huge victory over Thatcher. The Tories won the seat (and the GE of course) very easily.

Reminds me of the sad/funny/true Things Get Only Get Better by John O'Farrell. If GE24 goes pear (pls no!) I might write the bleaker sequel to it.

Tangled Up In Blue - why can't England kick its ruinous tory habit?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

malcolmg said:

mwadams said:

Who is "we"?

Did he say it was drizzling with rain? Because it was!
    That wouldn't have been much of a stretch.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,257
    Everybody’s just jealous that the British monarch has a special SACRED STONE which gets its own service in Westminster Abbey

https://twitter.com/wabbey/status/1652392989916909574?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

A service has been held this evening to mark the arrival of the Stone of Destiny at Westminster Abbey.

The stone – an ancient symbol of Scotland’s monarchy – will play a central role in the #Coronation  of HM The King on 6th May.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408

Blow up Dolphin!!

"A gun-making far-right extremist who said minorities “should be shot” & “God, I hate Muslims” has been convicted of terrorism offences in the Midlands.

Vaughn Dolphin even managed to blow up his own kitchen while experimenting with explosives.

Why haven't the MSM reported this?"

Aside from the BBC, Sky and all the papers, there's been a complete news blackout on this. Probably a D-notice.
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

malcolmg said:

mwadams said:

Who is "we"?

Have the authorities in ANY country EVER tried to whip up the entire population before into taking a simultaneous oath of loyalty to the head of state?

I seem to recall Ian Paisley organising a nighttime pledge, but he didn't invite the entire population of Northern Ireland.

Today's word is hubris.

This king guy has really got it coming to him.

• Options
    DialupDialup Posts: 561
    I will not swear an allegiance. It’s 2023 not 1323
  • Options
    Leon said:

Everybody’s just jealous that the British monarch has a special SACRED STONE which gets its own service in Westminster Abbey

https://twitter.com/wabbey/status/1652392989916909574?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

A service has been held this evening to mark the arrival of the Stone of Destiny at Westminster Abbey.

The stone – an ancient symbol of Scotland’s monarchy – will play a central role in the #Coronation  of HM The King on 6th May.

Time to remember the suffragette action of June 1914.
  • Options
    The Americans probably have a 15 year old White House Pop Tart which the First Lady has to put in a Tupperware box on Inauguration Day. The French have the Ceremony of The Official Gallic Shrug which the president does on Election Day, dating back to 2003

We have a chunk of a 19,000000 year old stone on which Abraham nearly sacrificed Isaac, given to the English by Jesus Christ on the 2nd day of the crucifixion
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Tres said:

One for @ydoethur

I never thought of him.

Tbf he has tweaked it a little
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595
    Good luck getting any normal person to swear allegiance to Charlie - especially in Wales or Scotland. I would love for some idiot right wing Tory (JRM) to make it compulsory. It would fuel massive civil disobedience.
  • Options
    People who don’t swear allegiance should be put to the rack. It’s as simple as that, I’m afraid
  • Options
    You’re either blindly loyal to His Majesty, or you are a foul traitor, it’s that basic
  • Options
    Westie said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

malcolmg said:

mwadams said:

Who is "we"?

Have the authorities in ANY country EVER tried to whip up the entire population before into taking a simultaneous oath of loyalty to the head of state?

I seem to recall Ian Paisley organising a nighttime pledge, but he didn't invite the entire population of Northern Ireland.

Today's word is hubris.

As I have said, my wife and I will not swear the oath of allegiance and are very agnostic on the royals, but we do remain anti a republic and I expect Charles will manage OK but I also expect changes in the coming years, especially over formality and the number of active royals

• Options
    IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Tres said:

One for @ydoethur

I never thought of him.

Tbf he has tweaked it a little
    Hey, it was a long time ago!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    Why can't Charles just leave things alone? Has he really had this itch to be King all this time so he could do stupid things like this?

The quiche was a bad sign. Making it a veggie quiche - fine if you must, but then putting lard in the pastry, so it was good neither for veggies nor keen carnivores. The fussiness of the recipe, using spinach which can make your quiche soggy - it's all so twiddly and irksome and half-baked, like Charles himself.
  • Options

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

Westie said:

For all who thought the government's recent alarm test was in preparation for forest wildfires:

BBC: "Coronation: Public asked to swear allegiance to King Charles".

This guy is a sitting duck. (And not just in Scotland.) He's going to break stuff, and he could well be out within a year.

"(The public will be) asked to respond: 'God save King Charles. Long live King Charles. May the King live forever.'

A spokesman for Lambeth Palace, the archbishop's office, said: 'The homage of the people is particularly exciting because that's brand new.'. ""

The last sentence you're swearing an impossibility.
    Absolutely ludicrous.
    That's the oath? That doesn't really sound like an oath or a pledge of allegiance. Two thirds of it is just an abridgement of the national anthem and the third third us in there just to annoy pedants. (I agree, ludicrous.)
    No - that is not the oath

The order of service will read:

"All who so desire, in the Abbey, and elsewhere, say together: I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God."
    I know all about 'each to his own etc etc' but I'd be pretty wary of anybody I caught doing this.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Taz said:

Why should it?

I don't think so.

(Snip)
    Okay, I've had a quick look into this. The actual missile is not reusable, obvs. Neither is its launch tube. But the targeting and command system (CLU) is reusable. Apparently it takes 30 seconds to remove a used launch tube and put a fresh tube/missile in its place, ready to fire again.

According to LM themselves, this process is called reloading:
    "Soldiers or Marines can reposition immediately after firing, or reload to engage another threat."

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/products/javelin.html
  • Options
    Leon said:

You’re either blindly loyal to His Majesty, or you are a foul traitor, it’s that basic

There are going to many millions of traitors then !!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Leon said:

The Americans probably have a 15 year old White House Pop Tart which the First Lady has to put in a Tupperware box on Inauguration Day. The French have the Ceremony of The Official Gallic Shrug which the president does on Election Day, dating back to 2003

We have a chunk of a 19,000000 year old stone on which Abraham nearly sacrificed Isaac, given to the English by Jesus Christ on the 2nd day of the crucifixion

Oh no, you've revealed the Abraham-Isaac almost-sacrifice link. The cover story for plebs is supposed to be that it was only Jacob's dream stone.

Once he's read this, Harry will be bound to stay away now.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Westie said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

malcolmg said:

mwadams said:

Who is "we"?

Today's word is hubris.

As I have said, my wife and I will not swear the oath of allegiance and are very agnostic on the royals, but we do remain anti a republic and I expect Charles will manage OK but I also expect changes in the coming years, especially over formality and the number of active royals

I’m going to report you and your wife, so you can expect to be clapped in irons, and suffer the torments of Skeffington’s Gyves

https://www.bridgemanimages.com/en/noartistknown/title/notechnique/asset/7169040

I’m sorry it has come to this but I’ve had enough of your overt treachery
  • Options

Leon said:

There are going to many millions of traitors then !!!!!!!!!!
    If you have turned BigG into a traitor then you have clearly got it wrong.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Only cucks will pledge allegiance to King Charles III.

FACT.
  • Options
    Actually why aren’t we torturing traitors? What’s the point of an oath if you don’t use it to sniff out secret Papists and Remainers, etc?
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Why can't Charles just leave things alone? Has he really had this itch to be King all this time so he could do stupid things like this?

Because he's an absolute f***ing moron who doesn't know what hubris leads to.

And yes.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,991
    Leon said:

I am proud to swear an oath of foul traitorship.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

One thing that strikes me is the relatively low level of activity in the locals. Even the LibDems have been relatively subdued here, with just one leaflet so far and only a handful of small posters. I've seen exactly one Tory poster. Labour has been more active than last time but from a low base - last time we only canvassed one target ward (so were surprised to win two). The Green effort seems to come down to two people, though they have done a good job with a few big posters in key sites. Nobody made a special effort to target PVs.

Locals are always lower-key, but this one is definitely lower than last time. What are others seeing?

LibDems very active here (Oxfordshire). Fair amount of Tory activity too.
    A friend in Brightwell in Oxfordshire (future near-neighbour of Boris) reports one Con leaflet, two from an Indie, and two from LDs (one of which has lots of quotes from Labour voters pointing out that Labour isn't standing in that ward so they should vote LD).
    The Conservatives in Oxfordshire are getting really irate about the other parties having worked out how FPTP works.

In most wards there’s either a LibDem or a Green candidate, not both. Labour is mostly absent from the rural areas in the south of the county, and elsewhere there’s a lot of paper candidacy going on.

The Conservative leaflets are really peevish in an “It’s not FAIR!” kind of way. It’s genuinely quite funny to watch.
  • Options

Leon said:

FACT.
    You will be one of the first in a thumbscrew. You’ll blub in 5 seconds and be oathing in 10

I suspect Mrs Big G might be made of sterner stuff. The Scold’s Bridle for her
  • Options
    Leon would set up barricades on the Severn Bridge - nobody would cross it without prostrating themselves in front of a royal effigy...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

FACT.
    You will be one of the first in a thumbscrew. You’ll blub in 5 seconds and be oathing in 10

I've read The Genesis Secret, after that thumbscrews will be a piece of piss.
  • Options
    The 'Love Boat' tackling trans issues back in 1982.

https://twitter.com/ask_aubry/status/1652502209127489536

I guess nowadays people would be calling for the 'woke' program to be cancelled... ;)
  • Options
    Penddu2 said:

Leon would set up barricades on the Severn Bridge - nobody would cross it without prostrating themselves in front of a royal effigy...

I thought you said prostating themselves. Then I realised that would be taking the piss.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Actually why aren’t we torturing traitors? What’s the point of an oath if you don’t use it to sniff out secret Papists and Remainers, etc?

They'd lose the support of the Spectator if they started torturing secret Papists.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Penddu2 said:

No, we will just do the usual, march into Wales, burn down all your hovels, erect enormous strategic castles, force you to till the land at the point of a sword, suppress your pathetic culture and cut out the tongues of anyone speaking your gobbledygook ‘language’ which is basically just different ways of gargling phlegm
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313
    What if you're listening on digital and that's a few seconds different from analogue plus the broadcasters must put in a delay in case the King says fuck by mistake so we have a problem.

Presumably it is traitorous if not said at precisely the right moment.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

FACT.

Perhaps we could persuade Mike to set up two threads on the appointed day, one for loyal brethren like you and I, and the other for the traitors. He could then turn over the IP addresses of the latter to the authorities for suitable punishment.

Should be a knighthood in it for him, at least.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Westie said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

malcolmg said:

mwadams said:

Who is "we"?

Today's word is hubris.

I’m going to report you and your wife, so you can expect to be clapped in irons, and suffer the torments of Skeffington’s Gyves

https://www.bridgemanimages.com/en/noartistknown/title/notechnique/asset/7169040

I’m sorry it has come to this but I’ve had enough of your overt treachery
    Good to be funny
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,229
    Everything OK Leon, all seems a bit forced today.
  • Options
    Westie said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

malcolmg said:

mwadams said:

Who is "we"?

Today's word is hubris.

1) Is pineapple on pizza a warcrime?
    2) If a plane crashes on the Ukrainian/Republic Of China border , due to the pilots dying from COVID vaccinations, which side of the border do you bury the survivors?
    3) What question in Piers Corbyn the answer to?
    4) How many SeanTs are there?
  • Options
    Longue vie au Roi!

I’ve just stopped by the side of a quiet road for a quick cidre break. I haven’t worked where I’m going today, but I’m well on my way there (just opened my second 75cl bottle!)

I’m in Cornouaille at the moment (Kernev in Breton), the part of Brittany the Cornish colonised. Every other village/town seems to have a name that starts Ker…

The next village is called Kerprat

Yec’hed mad!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Penddu2 said:

No, we will just do the usual, march into Wales, burn down all your hovels, erect enormous strategic castles, force you to till the land at the point of a sword, suppress your pathetic culture and cut out the tongues of anyone speaking your gobbledygook ‘language’ which is basically just different ways of gargling phlegm
    And we will 'still be here'....despite the spitlickles and anal tounge bathers...
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

FACT.

I haven’t

On the Vogon Poetry Scale, where is it?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

The quiche was a bad sign. Making it a veggie quiche - fine if you must, but then putting lard in the pastry, so it was good neither for veggies nor keen carnivores. The fussiness of the recipe, using spinach which can make your quiche soggy - it's all so twiddly and irksome and half-baked, like Charles himself.

Can anyone help me to understand what "Luckyguy1983" is talking about? I'm mildly curious. Maybe I'm guilty of not having kept up with the news enough, but I don't understand the references to quiche or lard, let alone spinach.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

FACT.

I haven’t

This scale.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    kinabalu said:

One thing I've learnt is to take no notice of election posters. I learnt this in 1983, when the London constituency I lived in seemed to have Vote Labour posters in every other window, as we prepared for a huge victory over Thatcher. The Tories won the seat (and the GE of course) very easily.

Reminds me of the sad/funny/true Things Get Only Get Better by John O'Farrell. If GE24 goes pear (pls no!) I might write the bleaker sequel to it.

I quite liked TCOGB by JOF. There was quite a lot of self-awareness in it, combined with quite a lot of suprising lack of self-awareness. One bit of self-awareness came in the description of the 1987 general election when JOF marvels that 'the electorate still hated us almost as much'. Which made a (brief) change from 'why don't the electorate hate the Tories as much as we do?'.

There is very little love for the Tories from the electorate, and almost never has been. The reason England can't kick its Tory habit is because England perceives the alternative as worse. That may or may not change in 2024.

Anyway. I've just overheard my (centrist, weathervane, broadly pro-monarchy) wife on the phone to her sister, marvelling at the audacity of Charles expecting a pledge of allegiance, which concluded with a spirited 'go screw yourself, Charlie Boy.'
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002

One thing that strikes me is the relatively low level of activity in the locals. Even the LibDems have been relatively subdued here, with just one leaflet so far and only a handful of small posters. I've seen exactly one Tory poster. Labour has been more active than last time but from a low base - last time we only canvassed one target ward (so were surprised to win two). The Green effort seems to come down to two people, though they have done a good job with a few big posters in key sites. Nobody made a special effort to target PVs.

Locals are always lower-key, but this one is definitely lower than last time. What are others seeing?

LibDems very active here (Oxfordshire). Fair amount of Tory activity too.
    A friend in Brightwell in Oxfordshire (future near-neighbour of Boris) reports one Con leaflet, two from an Indie, and two from LDs (one of which has lots of quotes from Labour voters pointing out that Labour isn't standing in that ward so they should vote LD).
    The Conservatives in Oxfordshire are getting really irate about the other parties having worked out how FPTP works.

In most wards there’s either a LibDem or a Green candidate, not both. Labour is mostly absent from the rural areas in the south of the county, and elsewhere there’s a lot of paper candidacy going on.

The Conservative leaflets are really peevish in an “It’s not FAIR!” kind of way. It’s genuinely quite funny to watch.
    One generic Labour leaflet here, in what was once a two member seat split between them and the Tories. For several years it was safe Tory, then two Independents, who sit with the Greens won. Now the two Independents are running a Facebook campaign, while the Tories are nowhere to be seen.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,468
    The theory of the oath thing sort of makes sense- previously, it's been exclusively for the top nobility, now we all get the chance. Sounds lovely on paper. But it is just going to be strange, having some fraction of the population saying it at once.

Maybe we can all post a loyal patriotic emoji on our social medium of choice.
  • Options

Longue vie au Roi!

I’ve just stopped by the side of a quiet road for a quick cidre break. I haven’t worked where I’m going today, but I’m well on my way there (just opened my second 75cl bottle!)

I’m in Cornouaille at the moment (Kernev in Breton), the part of Brittany the Cornish colonised. Every other village/town seems to have a name that starts Ker…

Yec’hed mad!

That could be the Cornish village where @Leon was born.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    I swore an oath to God and the Queen as a Cub Scout. I presume that oath applies to all lawful successors. So do I need to double-up on the oaths?
  • Options

Longue vie au Roi!

Yec’hed mad!

Given my great good fortune in life - wine, women, and song - it will not surprise you to learn that I was actually born in Ker-ching
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,468
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

I quite liked TCOGB by JOF. There was quite a lot of self-awareness in it, combined with quite a lot of suprising lack of self-awareness. One bit of self-awareness came in the description of the 1987 general election when JOF marvels that 'the electorate still hated us almost as much'. Which made a (brief) change from 'why don't the electorate hate the Tories as much as we do?'.

There is very little love for the Tories from the electorate, and almost never has been. The reason England can't kick its Tory habit is because England perceives the alternative as worse. That may or may not change in 2024.

Anyway. I've just overheard my (centrist, weathervane, broadly pro-monarchy) wife on the phone to her sister, marvelling at the audacity of Charles expecting a pledge of allegiance, which concluded with a spirited 'go screw yourself, Charlie Boy.'
    In particular, those of anti-Conservative persuasion sometimes give the impression of hating each other more than they hate the Tories.

What should really alarm Team Sunak is the vibe that LibLabGreen are in one of those moods (as happened in '97 and '01) where they agreed on who the real enemy is. And I'm really not sure that the government can do much about that.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Can anyone help me to understand what "Luckyguy1983" is talking about? I'm mildly curious. Maybe I'm guilty of not having kept up with the news enough, but I don't understand the references to quiche or lard, let alone spinach.
    It's OK. I have found an article in Hello magazine that explains all:
    https://www.hellomagazine.com/cuisine/490417/king-charles-coronation-quiche-recipe-divide-the-nation/

I was mildly curious, and now my mild curiosity is satisfied. I think it's nice that people have no real problems in their lives, that they can get so exercised about trivia like this.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Oh for goodness sake, the King won't put you in the Tower of London if you don't make the pledge of allegiance but all new British citizens have to swear allegiance to the sovereign, so why not have a voluntary pledge of allegiance for the public during the coronation service?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416
    Taz said:

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Raab's resignation/sacking has stalled Rishi's fightback IMO.

Conservative recovery should get back on track as we go into the summer I'd think... However the clock continues to tick down to the election and Con are gonna run out of time to stop a (small) Labout majority in Election 24.

Tick Tock...

Hate to break this news to anyone who hasn’t got the memo yet. What’s stopping Rishi’s fight back and Tory recovery is Rishi. The fresh face has peaked. Labours hungry for power attack ads are working.
    If hes stopping the th recovery who would take them further? No names spring immediately to mind.

Thats not praise of him, I just don't see who could galvanise more.
    Someone with more experience and gravitas for sure would do a better job than this. He is a politically inexperienced, accident prone, lightweight, dry right wing brexiteer. His ratings could really dive from here.
    In defence of Sunak, he's smart, hard working and reasonably honest. All the things that Johnson wasn't. His leadership skills are improving.

His political agenda is a bit eccentric: the most important thing is to ensure billionaires, of which he happens to be one, hold onto all their wealth. But you can't have everything.
    Smart? In all history only two PMs have been given a criminal record whilst in office, and the guy you call smart is losing to Boris 2-1.

Smart? value for tax payer money by fighting waste and fraud? Firstly eat out to help out. Secondly Covid loans fraud - not just tens of billions of tax payer money throw away but funded criminal enterprises, possibly terrorists, by Rishi just handing it out to them. Thirdly ongoing threat to the UK markets and economy from his dodgy Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
    3 of his cabinet picks already gone for bullying and corruption.

Similarly, reasonably honest? as the money man for a party on the make, one of the sleaziest and corrupt 4 years of government ever, especially around covid contracts and other schemes enriching government and its friends, Sunak has been at the heart of it all waving things through VIP lanes, signing everything off.

Some of us don’t see him as smart or remotely honest. It’s a front that’s unraveling. Don’t see anything smart in what is an horrendous government CV. We beg to differ. That’s how it is.
    Why the hatred for EOTHO ?

Covid was pouring back into the country on every flight from Malaga irrespective of people going to their local restaurant.

EOTHO merely gave those who had followed the rules a reward and the restaurants a needed financial boost.

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Raab's resignation/sacking has stalled Rishi's fightback IMO.

Conservative recovery should get back on track as we go into the summer I'd think... However the clock continues to tick down to the election and Con are gonna run out of time to stop a (small) Labout majority in Election 24.

Tick Tock...

Hate to break this news to anyone who hasn’t got the memo yet. What’s stopping Rishi’s fight back and Tory recovery is Rishi. The fresh face has peaked. Labours hungry for power attack ads are working.
    If hes stopping the th recovery who would take them further? No names spring immediately to mind.

Thats not praise of him, I just don't see who could galvanise more.
    Someone with more experience and gravitas for sure would do a better job than this. He is a politically inexperienced, accident prone, lightweight, dry right wing brexiteer. His ratings could really dive from here.
    In defence of Sunak, he's smart, hard working and reasonably honest. All the things that Johnson wasn't. His leadership skills are improving.

His political agenda is a bit eccentric: the most important thing is to ensure billionaires, of which he happens to be one, hold onto all their wealth. But you can't have everything.
    Smart? In all history only two PMs have been given a criminal record whilst in office, and the guy you call smart is losing to Boris 2-1.

Smart? value for tax payer money by fighting waste and fraud? Firstly eat out to help out. Secondly Covid loans fraud - not just tens of billions of tax payer money throw away but funded criminal enterprises, possibly terrorists, by Rishi just handing it out to them. Thirdly ongoing threat to the UK markets and economy from his dodgy Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
    3 of his cabinet picks already gone for bullying and corruption.

Similarly, reasonably honest? as the money man for a party on the make, one of the sleaziest and corrupt 4 years of government ever, especially around covid contracts and other schemes enriching government and its friends, Sunak has been at the heart of it all waving things through VIP lanes, signing everything off.

Some of us don’t see him as smart or remotely honest. It’s a front that’s unraveling. Don’t see anything smart in what is an horrendous government CV. We beg to differ. That’s how it is.
    Why the hatred for EOTHO ?

Covid was pouring back into the country on every flight from Malaga irrespective of people going to their local restaurant.

EOTHO merely gave those who had followed the rules a reward and the restaurants a needed financial boost.
    You subtract how much the scheme was nothing more than a "giveaway" to benefit those well-off enough to eat out anyway, In the deficit column you add how it boosted covid prolonging the agony of sick people and sick workforce. You look into what happened to businesses when it ceased, did it save any businesses or jobs.

It only cost £850M though, so admittedly small fry compared to billions Sunak has wasted on other things.
    The 'well-off enough' being about 80% of the country and as it was capped at £10 proportionally benefitted the low paid.

And as you say it was small fry compared to the spending then happening - why shouldn't the cleaners at my work place (and they certainly made used of EOTHO) not get help from the government when the likes of Michelle Mone were getting millions.

As to prolonging covid if the government couldn't be bothered to stop people taking holidays in covid hotspots then why should it restrict people going to restaurants in this country at a time when new cases were only a thousand per day.
    What about some help now then?

Yet net migration levels and overall migration levels have never been higher and for the university cities and towns all the students are back in situ and looking for second jobs.

Still BrExIt.

Closures in this industry were happening prior to Brexit too.
    Nope. That’s not the point I was making. It was in relation to EOTHO to stop family restaurants and businesses struggling and closing - and now no help scheme whilst they are… struggling and closing. Not a Brexit point, but showing up EOTHO for what it was.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285

Longue vie au Roi!

Yec’hed mad!

The belief that Brittany was settled by large numbers coming from Cornwall is an old fashioned piece of history, based on remarkably fragmentary evidence. Even the WP article on the subject is littered with 'citation needed' tags.

ChatGPT came up with this in about twenty seconds:

There is a lack of concrete evidence to definitively prove or disprove the theory that Brittany in France was colonized by a significant number of migrants from Cornwall in the post-Roman period. However, there are several arguments for and against this theory:

Arguments for:

Similarities in language and culture between Brittany and Cornwall suggest that there may have been some migration between the two regions.
    Place names in Brittany, such as "Ploumanac'h" and "Plougasnou," have Cornish roots.
    Some Breton folklore and mythology has similarities to Cornish folklore and mythology.
    Arguments against:

There is no concrete evidence of large-scale migration from Cornwall to Brittany in the post-Roman period.
    The similarities in language and culture could be explained by shared Celtic roots rather than migration between the two regions.
    Place names in Brittany with Cornish roots could be explained by trade or cultural exchange rather than migration.
    Some Breton folklore and mythology has similarities to other Celtic folklore and mythology, not just Cornish.

Overall, while there is some evidence to suggest that there may have been migration between Cornwall and Brittany in the post-Roman period, it is not conclusive and there are alternative explanations for the similarities between the two regions.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,371
    Cookie said:

kjh said:

malcolmg said:

mwadams said:

Who is "we"?

Indeed, nobody elected him which means nobody had a choice in this, so I'm not 'bending the knee' for him.

He has less democratic legitimacy than Ursula von der Leyen.
    And then it becomes political, where you might have to swear allegiance to someone you actively voted against and don't like - even worse.

The monarch is the Head of State, politically neutral, and a public servant.

You should wish him well in his role, and take the oath.
    The monarch is only polotically neutral if he chooses to be. The last one was pretty good at it. I'm not sure this one gets it.
    I have my concerns about Charles's personal judgement in some areas, but I will wish him well and pledge my allegiance and hope he learns on the job and learns to take more advice.

It's not an easy one. It's far more important he has us rooting for him to unite the country and Commonwealth, represent us and our values, and it won't help for me to fold my arms and abstain from it.
    MaxPB said:

I wonder how much of our problem's are really down to money, actually.

We probably need another £150bn of tax revenue coming in a year, each year, of which £80-90bn needs to go on extra spending on the education, science, R&D, transport, energy, crime & justice, defence and the NHS and about £50bn on reducing income taxes and NI.

No party can get close to that. Unless they can get Britain to grow an insanely fast way, which would need us to develop new technologies and capabilities and retain all the workers & IP (we normally cash out to the Americans inside 18 months).

Part of the issue is that the government does too much. We need to cut £100bn in spending to cut taxes to get the economy growing. £56bn is going to be cut this year as we end energy subsidies and another £30bn will go as the RPI rate falls and debt interest falls. That gets us most of the way there but we also need to cut another £15-20bn from actual spending so we can expand full business expensing to all categories and a big NI cut for working age people and removing all of the income cliff edges like the child benefit taper, allowance withdrawal and childcare eligibility removal. I'd be ok with borrowing £20-30bn per year extra to fund investment in public infrastructure for the next 10 years as it will increase our growth rate and pay for itself.
    Agreed.
  • Options

A Texas man firing an AR-15 in his front yard killed five people in a neighboring home after they asked him to stop shooting because a baby was sleeping. Police said all were shot execution-style; the youngest victim was 8-years-old

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1652313774085513218

So? The 8 year-old should have also had a gun to defend himself.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Leon said:

The stone – an ancient symbol of Scotland’s monarchy – will play a central role in the #Coronation of HM The King on 6th May.

We're missing a trick with that rock. Simply haul it to the top of Glastonbury Tor, embed a sword in it, and get Charles to pull the sword back out. Bingo! Instant King of the Britons.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,700
    edited April 2023
    For any who have not been paying attention to the latest twists and turns….

https://twitter.com/mercurius_scot/status/1652575547539570688
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003

Leon said:

Leon said:

FACT.

I haven’t

This scale.

Too easy.

• Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

kjh said:

malcolmg said:

mwadams said:

Who is "we"?

Indeed, nobody elected him which means nobody had a choice in this, so I'm not 'bending the knee' for him.

He has less democratic legitimacy than Ursula von der Leyen.
    And then it becomes political, where you might have to swear allegiance to someone you actively voted against and don't like - even worse.

The monarch is the Head of State, politically neutral, and a public servant.

You should wish him well in his role, and take the oath.
    The monarch is only polotically neutral if he chooses to be. The last one was pretty good at it. I'm not sure this one gets it.
    I have my concerns about Charles's personal judgement in some areas, but I will wish him well and pledge my allegiance and hope he learns on the job and learns to take more advice.

It's not an easy one. It's far more important he has us rooting for him to unite the country and Commonwealth, represent us and our values, and so I am burying any reservations I have and taking a bigger view.

It won't help for me to fold my arms and abstain from it. And I quite like the idea of taking an oath anyway and being involved.
    Well, fair enough. I think your position is the more interesting one; it depends upon taking some positions which are pretty uncommon nowadays but not necessarily wrong because of that. I can provide all sorts of arguments for my view and I don't think any of them would be new to you, but I suspect at bottom it comes down to the fact I just don't like the man. Nothing to do with adultery - I liked his ex-wife even less, and in any case his personal life is none of my business. I just don't find him likeable, and my heart sinks somewhat when I look at him and realise he is head of state.
    Fair enough. I sort of just divorce those views.

At the end of the day, he is King and that is that unless he creates a problem in which case the privy council will intervene to skip to the next.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,665

Let me guess the constituency. Hornsey and Wood Green.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

malcolmg said:

mwadams said:

Who is "we"?

Do we have to bang saucepans? I've not been keeping up.

I also see that some of us are forgetting that KCIII's namesake was done for treason against the people. It's not just one way.
    Exactly. There's the theory and there's an actual hidden contract there.

So just throw yourself into it, take the pledge and enjoy it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited April 2023
    Nigelb said:

Westie said:

For all who thought the government's recent alarm test was in preparation for forest wildfires:

BBC: "Coronation: Public asked to swear allegiance to King Charles".

This guy is a sitting duck. (And not just in Scotland.) He's going to break stuff, and he could well be out within a year.

"(The public will be) asked to respond: 'God save King Charles. Long live King Charles. May the King live forever.'

A spokesman for Lambeth Palace, the archbishop's office, said: 'The homage of the people is particularly exciting because that's brand new.'. ""

Is that where it came from ?
    “Particularly exciting”…

… "Our hope is at that point, when the Archbishop invites people to join in, that people wherever they are, if they're watching at home on their own, watching the telly, will say it out loud - this sense of a great cry around the nation and around the world of support for the King."…

Mental.
    "May the King live forever"???

I'm not going to chant along to some at best nonsense, at worst a horrifying thought of the King surviving the heat death of the Universe. Who would wish that on anybody?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

TOPPING said:

Actually the idea of the oath is a huge misstep. I like Charles but how gauche and archaic to have an actual oath. It just brings into stark relief the absurdity of the monarchy.

I was on the phone to a tory party member on Friday. Our friendship has occasionally come close to breaking but we've held on. Anyway, he really surprised me by saying he wasn't going to watch on Saturday and that he's 'rather fed up with the monarchy'. This from someone who was glued to the funeral of HMQ - because he admired and respected her. He did go on to say that he quite likes Charles.

Needless to say I shall be swearing an oath of allegiance. My views are well known, acerbic, and there's no need to repeat them.
    He's telling what you think you want to hear. I do it with some of my heart-on-sleeve Lefty friends too.

He will watch it. And not tell you.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

"It's effectively treason" is the most stupid thing Casino has said in quite a while.

Or he's taking the piss, too.
    The whole loyalty oath business is, after all, rather a good joke.

I've been experimenting with trolling recently, to see what all the fuss made by @TheScreamingEagles is about.

Quite fun to be honest. Particularly for those who take themselves way too seriously.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Yes it's all relative and it's a choice. But if a moderate serious competent looking alternative is rejected in favour of 'more tory' after 14 years of them inc the shambolic recent period, Johnson's shenanigans, the Trussterfuck, plus a struggling economy, the NHS creaking, plenty else creaking too, just not an obviously great record in office to be kind, if given all of this the public STILL says to them, "ok, carry on", this imo can quite fairly be described as a habit - and it would pay dividends to analyze it as such.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Longue vie au Roi!

Yec’hed mad!

The belief that Brittany was settled by large numbers coming from Cornwall is an old fashioned piece of history, based on remarkably fragmentary evidence. Even the WP article on the subject is littered with 'citation needed' tags.

ChatGPT came up with this in about twenty seconds:

There is a lack of concrete evidence to definitively prove or disprove the theory that Brittany in France was colonized by a significant number of migrants from Cornwall in the post-Roman period. However, there are several arguments for and against this theory:

Arguments for:

Similarities in language and culture between Brittany and Cornwall suggest that there may have been some migration between the two regions.
    Place names in Brittany, such as "Ploumanac'h" and "Plougasnou," have Cornish roots.
    Some Breton folklore and mythology has similarities to Cornish folklore and mythology.
    Arguments against:

There is no concrete evidence of large-scale migration from Cornwall to Brittany in the post-Roman period.
    The similarities in language and culture could be explained by shared Celtic roots rather than migration between the two regions.
    Place names in Brittany with Cornish roots could be explained by trade or cultural exchange rather than migration.
    Some Breton folklore and mythology has similarities to other Celtic folklore and mythology, not just Cornish.

Overall, while there is some evidence to suggest that there may have been migration between Cornwall and Brittany in the post-Roman period, it is not conclusive and there are alternative explanations for the similarities between the two regions.
    You haven’t seen the men here; they all look a lot like Leons
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Right. Off to the International Festival of Worm-charming.

The most fun you can have on your knees in a field.*

http://www.wormcharming.co.uk/

*This might need more extensive testing.....
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited April 2023
    I wish those watching/attending the coronation well.

Alas, unlike the jubilee celebrations, I’ll be tuning out. Those yelling “treason” to bully us into swearing allegiance to Charles are showing themselves up as idiots.

I’ll happily swear allegiance to my country and fellow countrymen and women, but not Charles, nor some fictional God.

This kind of shit belongs in the history books.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FACT.

I haven’t

This scale.

Too easy.

Talking of inappropriate (or appropriate) settings for books, whilst running through London early one morning recently, I came across the following slightly sacrilegious sight on a bench:

• Options

Good summary, actually.

Also, the quiche sounds disgusting.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Oh for goodness sake, the King won't put you in the Tower of London if you don't make the pledge of allegiance but all new British citizens have to swear allegiance to the sovereign, so why not have a voluntary pledge of allegiance for the public during the coronation service?
    You ask why not. The question I would ask, is why "So help me God" is included in that oath. If you want to give people the opportunity of pledging allegiance, why not make it as inclusive as possible? If people need to give evidence in court and don't believe in God, they can affirm. Ditto for MPs. So why does God have to be involved in this?

I think it's pointless to ask the question of you, because your ideas about religion - and specifically about the place of religion in society, particularly with reference to people who don't share your faith - are so bizarre that it's futile to expect a reasonable or comprehensible response. But I think the question is worth asking (even at the risk of someone describing me as a "wanker" again, for asking it).

One specific point of interest is whether our current prime minister will be able to take that oath in good conscience. Rishi Sunak is a Hindu. I don't know anything more specific about his theological beliefs, but Hinduism is not generally a monotheistic religion. As far as I know, he may be a monotheist, or he may not. But if he is not, why exclude him? Or more to the point, why exclude those who are not, whether he is, or whether he isn't? Why exclude those who aren't believers in any God or gods?
  • Options
    OK, so @Leon is better at trolling than me.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Everything OK Leon, all seems a bit forced today.

He's at a loose end having finished plastering the bathroom. 3 years it took.
  • Options
    'People watching the Coronation will be invited to join a "chorus of millions" to swear allegiance to the King and his heirs, organisers say.

The public pledge is one of several striking changes to the ancient ceremony revealed on Saturday.

In a coronation full of firsts, female clergy will play a prominent role, and the King himself will pray out loud.

The Christian service will also see religious leaders from other faiths have an active part for the first time.

The Coronation on Saturday will be the first to incorporate other languages spoken in Britain, with a hymn set to be sung in Welsh, Scottish Gaelic and Irish Gaelic...The public will be given an active role in the ceremony for the first time, with people around the world set to be asked to cry out and swear allegiance to the King.This "homage of the people" replaces the traditional "homage of peers" where hereditary peers swear allegiance to the new monarch. Instead everyone in the Abbey and watching at home will be invited to pay homage in what Lambeth Palace described as a "chorus of millions".

The order of service will read: "All who so desire, in the Abbey, and elsewhere, say together: I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God."

It will be followed by the playing of a fanfare.While the oaths - which have remained unchanged for centuries - will retain their Protestant pledge, Lambeth Palace said the Archbishop of Canterbury will "contextualise" them.

He will say beforehand that the Church of England will seek to create an environment where "people of all faiths and beliefs may live freely".

"The religious and cultural context of the 17th Century was very different to today's contemporary, multi-faith Britain," a Lambeth Palace spokesperson said. "So, for the first time there will be a preface to the Oath.
    As part of the service Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and Sikh peers will present the King with pieces of the coronation regalia, including bracelets, the robe, the ring, and the glove.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, a practising Hindu, will read from the biblical book of Colossians.

The blessing will be shared by leaders of different Christian denominations for the first time, including the Catholic Cardinal Vincent Nichols.

After the religious service has ended, the King will receive a greeting by Jewish, Hindu, Sikh, Muslim and Buddhist leaders.'
  • Options
    Chris said:

There is just the one expert in this field of what Luckyguy1983 is talking about - Luckyguy1983. Nobody else can penetrate the material with any confidence at all.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,122
    Leon said:

Longue vie au Roi!

Yec’hed mad!

Given my great good fortune in life - wine, women, and song - it will not surprise you to learn that I was actually born in Ker-ching
    You didn’t have to immerse yourself in the ching element quite so assiduously.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    On topic on what is a good header making the right point.

“last night’s Opinium might be a harbinger of that unravelling
    Yes. Lab 18pt lead, -2 Con to 26% from a swing back poll and Sunak 26% approving 44% disapproving. net approval of -18. Starmer is on -3 due to rounding - is quite surprisingly bad. I understand now why you posted it’s dated this header you had written. 😯

“A booming economy, replete with a feel good factor, could help the Tories”
    Except the 97 example?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,791
    Chris said:

Felicity Cloake in the Graun website has an excellent piece on the recipe and how to do it best - basically, it's a recipe a pro chef might design but has its trickinesses for the less experienced.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

You ask why not. The question I would ask, is why "So help me God" is included in that oath. If you want to give people the opportunity of pledging allegiance, why not make it as inclusive as possible? If people need to give evidence in court and don't believe in God, they can affirm. Ditto for MPs. So why does God have to be involved in this?

I think it's pointless to ask the question of you, because your ideas about religion - and specifically about the place of religion in society, particularly with reference to people who don't share your faith - are so bizarre that it's futile to expect a reasonable or comprehensible response. But I think the question is worth asking (even at the risk of someone describing me as a "wanker" again, for asking it).

One specific point of interest is whether our current prime minister will be able to take that oath in good conscience. Rishi Sunak is a Hindu. I don't know anything more specific about his theological beliefs, but Hinduism is not generally a monotheistic religion. As far as I know, he may be a monotheist, or he may not. But if he is not, why exclude him? Or more to the point, why exclude those who are not, whether he is, or whether he isn't? Why exclude those who aren't believers in any God or gods?
    As it is a voluntary oath and the majority of the British population ie Christians, Muslims and Jews still believe in the one God of Abraham
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FACT.

I haven’t

This scale.

Too easy.

Talking of inappropriate (or appropriate) settings for books, whilst running through London early one morning recently, I came across the following slightly sacrilegious sight on a bench:

Corona Extra is great, always very tempting.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,665
    When is The Ice Twins going to be made into a film?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056

I wonder how much of our problem's are really down to money, actually.

We probably need another £150bn of tax revenue coming in a year, each year, of which £80-90bn needs to go on extra spending on the education, science, R&D, transport, energy, crime & justice, defence and the NHS and about £50bn on reducing income taxes and NI.

No party can get close to that. Unless they can get Britain to grow an insanely fast way, which would need us to develop new technologies and capabilities and retain all the workers & IP (we normally cash out to the Americans inside 18 months).

The basic issue is that too many people are dependent on the state (public sector employees, welfare recipients, pensioners). All of these are a net cost to the exchequer.

In an age of companies negotiating and being willing to move abroad the tax base is simply too small to sustain the costs we have taken on

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993

Leon said:

I am proud to swear an oath of foul traitorship.
    I will do it multiple times
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FACT.

I haven’t

This scale.

Too easy.

Post of the Year
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

FACT.

Perhaps we could persuade Mike to set up two threads on the appointed day, one for loyal brethren like you and I, and the other for the traitors. He could then turn over the IP addresses of the latter to the authorities for suitable punishment.

Should be a knighthood in it for him, at least.
    It's a great idea and we could use it the other way too. The IDs of everyone declaiming The Oath to form a blacklist of people not allowed to buy property in North London. And especially not in Hampstead.
This discussion has been closed.