Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Biden is going for a second term – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,759
    edited April 2023

Answer to the "big question" is hell yes.

IF Richard Nixon couldn't deep-six Spiro Agnew, and George Bush the Elder was stuck with Dan Quayle, then am certain (in my own cotton-pickin' mind) that Joe Biden will retain Kamala Harris.

For one thing, she has NOT been near the baggage for her POTUS, that Spiro and Danny Boy were for their running mates.

For another, the heavy lifting required to chuck America's first Black, Asian AND woman Veep over the side, strikes me as WAY more problematic than removing either Agnew or Quayle would have been, back in their days.

Hypothetically, who would be the pick for the Court if Thomas did go ?
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380
    Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Who knew Luxembourg had a space agency?

This is getting a little tedious. I only joined the SpaceX one just before launch so missed all the inane chatter on that one.

ETA: Leon, is that one of yours behind the Ariane guy?

ETA2: Ah, might be getting somewhere now.

ETA3: No, still talking heads

At least, if you want to do a long buildup and have all your partners give speeches, put a T-minus clock in the corner, and a scrolling timeline of events along the bottom. SpaceX are really good at doing this.
    An hour and a half after the progamme’s scheduled start, they’re talking about business plans. Any ideas what time the craft is supposed to land on the moon?
    Says touchdown in just under 9 minutes on the display

ETA: But weren't they expecting to have heard directly from the craft by now? This is all just the simulation graphics/data, I think?
    That eclipse pic is cool though
    That was very cool, pic of a solar eclipse from lunar orbit, showing the shadow of the moon on the surface of the Earth.

Five minutes to go!
    Sounds like the data are live (speed, altitude etc). I was hoping for some slightly delayed images or even video, but I guess the bandwidth is not sufficient, will hopefully get some of that later.
    There will be a mighty cheer if they hear anything from the lander. Not sure how long the anticipated loss of contact was, but expressions say not this long...
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,467
    Sandpit said:

How much tension in that control room, as they wait for the signal to get back from the moon?

I fear it's not looking good.

I hope the same thing that happened to the Israeli Beresheet lander hasn't happened here.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572

Labour leads by 2% in the Blue Wall. In 2019, Labour came THIRD in these seats.

Blue Wall Voting Intention (23 April):

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 24% (+4)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

https://twitter.com/redfieldwilton/status/1650892423219019781?s=46

The rise of the LibDems is the watchout. A significant number of Tory seats are vulnerable if people start tactically voting LD...
    The vote in the GE in these seats was Con 50% (so currently down 18%), Lab 21% (currently up 13%), LD 27% (currently down 3%). Net Con to Lab swing 15%, Con to LD swing 7%). Even without tactical voting, that's enough to deliver most of those seats to either Lab or the LDs. But in these seats in particular there is a lot of potential for a lot more tactical voting than in 2019, and that's the real nightmare for the Conservatives.
    The Tories have been asleep on the job for so long, a nightmare is what they deserve.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135

In defence of Biden, and setting aside his age. I agree with the view that he's under-rated.

Every time he's been tested, he's exceeded expectations. Whether it be mid-term elections, making major speeches, setting a clear course for the economy, or anything else I can think of he has, to coin a phrase, surprised on the upside.

He also has a quality that recent UK PMs have sorely lacked. He delegates a lot of stuff to intelligent, competent people who just get on with their jobs.

I just wish he were 50 rather than 80.

If he was 50 he might be less prepared to do some of that delegating. Yes, clearly age changes people, but its some good, some bad at all ages rather than 80 bad or 30 bad and 50 ideal.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

DougSeal said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

SKS fans please...oh forget it....
    And Sunak leads Starmer by 6% apparently

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1650894993442177025?t=MDUWdictIBgygf4JPE9Cyw&s=19
    Which is pretty shit for Sunak considering the profile of these seats.
    I would not have expected you to say anything less
    I’m not wrong am I though!
    The point I would make is there seems to be a trend in Sunak approval as shown in this poll

I expect the conservatives to have a very bad local elections result, but it is beyond that to October 24 that Sunak needs to continue his progress
    But these are Blue Wall seats! 6% is not good enough, not good enough at all.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    edited April 2023

In defence of Biden, and setting aside his age. I agree with the view that he's under-rated.

Every time he's been tested, he's exceeded expectations. Whether it be mid-term elections, making major speeches, setting a clear course for the economy, or anything else I can think of he has, to coin a phrase, surprised on the upside.

He also has a quality that recent UK PMs have sorely lacked. He delegates a lot of stuff to intelligent, competent people who just get on with their jobs.

Afghanistan? Immigration? Opioids? Crime? Homelessness? Life expectancy?

I’m sorry, Biden has only outperformed because expectations were SO low. On many metrics he has been quite poor. Or really poor

However he HAS done well on pure GDP - ironically by being quite Trumpian. And he’s shown genuine mettle and determination abroad - Ukraine, AUKUS, alliance building. There he has been genuinely good. Infinitely better than Trump

But he is 80 and already wobbly
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,699
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1650894993442177025?t=MDUWdictIBgygf4JPE9Cyw&s=19
    The point I would make is there seems to be a trend in Sunak approval as shown in this poll

I expect the conservatives to have a very bad local elections result, but it is beyond that to October 24 that Sunak needs to continue his progress
    Yes, Sunak is doomed at tomorrow's general election!
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271

If he was 50 he might be less prepared to do some of that delegating. Yes, clearly age changes people, but its some good, some bad at all ages rather than 80 bad or 30 bad and 50 ideal.
    Agree, but you're taking me a bit too literally. By "I wish he were 50" I meant with the knowledge and experience that he has now but, most importantly, so that we could be safe in the knowledge that he'd slaughter Trump before he (Biden) dropped dead or became too infirm.
  • DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

Of course it is not for the locals following the Johnson/Truss debacle but there is 18 months to the next GE and Sunak is the conservatives best hope of mitigating the result
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

Sandpit said:

How much tension in that control room, as they wait for the signal to get back from the moon?

I fear it's not looking good.

I hope the same thing that happened to the Israeli Beresheet lander hasn't happened here.
    Still nothing, and the chance of good news diminishing with time.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

No chance of a change to VP candidate.

Biden has already confirmed Harris stays, and he's not going to drop the first female VP and first black VP even if her approval ratings are poor (which they are - although not that much worse than his own).

I also doubt she's much of a drag on the ticket. As mentioned, her approval ratings aren't good, and she's not by any means a shoo-in to succeed him in 2028 if re-elected. That's rather different to her raising "heartbeat away from the Presidency" issues, though. She's no Quayle and no Palin. Few are enthused by the idea of her becoming President if Biden dies or is incapacitated (which is a non-trivial possibility given his age). But that isn't the same as fearing it - not by a long way.

I agree - with the caveat that if there was a Supreme Court opening and a chance to get her into it, she might well want to go for that.
    except there is zero chance of her getting to the SC as the Republican party isn't going to allow her to be appointed.
    Given the Democrats have 50 Senators, and the Republicans 49, how would they stop her?
    Because the Democrats have 48 Senators, Dianne Feinstein, and John Fetterman.
    John Fetterman is perfectly able to vote if required.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    edited April 2023
    FPT: Last week I saw what I am nearly certain was the mark of a successful spinal operation. I was riding a bus, and a very young woman sat down in the seat in front of me. I glanced at her and saw a neat groove down the middle of her neck. Which I am nearly certain was the result of an incision and some kind of operation on her spine, given the location.

It might encourage Our Gracious Host a little to learn that she seemed fine otherwise, from what I could see in that brief encounter.

(She was not hiding the mark; in fact she had her hair up in a tight little bun so that the incision was completely visible from the back.)
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    On VPs, who would be DJT's apprentice running mate. Not Pence, obvs.
    Oh dear
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

I’m sorry, Biden has only outperformed because expectations were SO low. On many metrics he has been quite poor. Or really poor

However he HAS done well on pure GDP - ironically by being quite Trumpian. And he’s shown genuine mettle and determination abroad - Ukraine, AUKUS, alliance building. There he has been genuinely good. Infinitely better than Trump

Some of those are somewhat harsh given he's only been in power for two years.

I'm Joe Biden, and since I became President people are living longer. And lots of you have stopped taking drugs.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    Nigelb said:

IF Richard Nixon couldn't deep-six Spiro Agnew, and George Bush the Elder was stuck with Dan Quayle, then am certain (in my own cotton-pickin' mind) that Joe Biden will retain Kamala Harris.

For one thing, she has NOT been near the baggage for her POTUS, that Spiro and Danny Boy were for their running mates.

For another, the heavy lifting required to chuck America's first Black, Asian AND woman Veep over the side, strikes me as WAY more problematic than removing either Agnew or Quayle would have been, back in their days.

Hypothetically, who would be the pick for the Court if Thomas did go ?
    No clue. However, doubt that Kamala Harris would be a shoo-in, either for nomination OR confirmation. There IS a limit to senatorial courtesy, especially in our corrupt age, particularly approaching election day.

But not ruling it out either, IF there's actually a vacancy with the next nine months or so.

As for Thomas, no doubt Roberts would like to see the back of him, and good riddance; HOWEVER seems doubtful that CT is gonna resign a life appointment, just because the Chief Justice gives him a stern lecture?
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Biden has already confirmed Harris stays, and he's not going to drop the first female VP and first black VP even if her approval ratings are poor (which they are - although not that much worse than his own).

I also doubt she's much of a drag on the ticket. As mentioned, her approval ratings aren't good, and she's not by any means a shoo-in to succeed him in 2028 if re-elected. That's rather different to her raising "heartbeat away from the Presidency" issues, though. She's no Quayle and no Palin. Few are enthused by the idea of her becoming President if Biden dies or is incapacitated (which is a non-trivial possibility given his age). But that isn't the same as fearing it - not by a long way.

I agree - with the caveat that if there was a Supreme Court opening and a chance to get her into it, she might well want to go for that.
    except there is zero chance of her getting to the SC as the Republican party isn't going to allow her to be appointed.
    Given the Democrats have 50 Senators, and the Republicans 49, how would they stop her?
    He’s out of the hospital now? Fair enough, but he was away for two months.
    Leon said:

I don't think homelessness is in the gift of the President.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

The first time I heard of Sipro Agnew was when I got given a book of anagrams for a birthday present when I was about 11. Very amusing but a little inappropriate.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    Leon said:

I’m right. 82-83

“The estimated average age of onset of dementia in the United States is 83.7 years old (Plassman et al. 2011)”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5624986/

Biden already looks doddery and says demented stuff. This ain’t good

He'll do less harm nonetheless of course. It may still be a failing, but I'm not sure he could have anointed a successor - we hear a lot about US politics, and I've not really heard of anyone pitched as a Bidenesque replacement, only people apparently written off as duds (like Harris) or people who want to go much further than he is willing to go and so regarded as less electable (like Sanders, previously), or too unknown to make it.

Just my opinion, but I think one of Biden's strengths is he seems like a pretty normal kind of guy despite being in politics for over 50 years. He's not normal, but he often sounds like it. Not easy.

Leon said:

I'm Joe Biden, and since I became President people are living longer. And lots of you have stopped taking drugs.
    Everyone saying Biden is surprisingly good seems to be forgetting the absolute catastrophe that was Afghanistan. It didn’t have to be that bad. One of the greatest foreign policy humiliations in recent American history. And by all accounts that WAS Biden

It’s one of the interesting aspects of the Netflix drama The Diplomat - which is obviously Democrat-leaning, I’d say - is how much severe critique is aimed at that debacle
    DougSeal said:

The first time I heard of Sipro Agnew was when I got given a book of anagrams for a birthday present when I was about 11. Very amusing but a little inappropriate.
    … and you made a new one right there

This will probably mark me as some kind of intellectual or cultural philistine, but what was Noam Chomsky famous for beack in the day? I see on twitter he's been vociferously claiming with a straight face Corbyn won the 2017 election, and people seem to be surprised.
    edited April 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Neither is abortion policy, but it still seems to be getting activists excited.
    kle4 said:

This will probably mark me as some kind of intellectual or cultural philistine, but what was Noam Chomsky famous for beack in the day? I see on twitter he's been vociferously claiming with a straight face Corbyn won the 2017 election, and people seem to be surprised.

try Google

DavidL said:

Gloom.
    He really isn't up to it. He got away with very limited campaigning in 2020 because of Covid. The schedule he would have to undertake this time has a serious risk of killing him.

Some old folks can surprise. My father was persuaded by his doctor to change his twice weekly jogs at the Oxford University track to long walks - in his mid 80s….
    Biden looks in reasonable shape, and he's always been known for gaffes (has he gotten worse? I have no idea) but he doesn't look super robust, nor would most people at that age. Trump seems like he's powered by sheer ego and rage far beyond what his body should be able to sustain.
    kle4 said:

Linguistics.

geoffw said:

My guess some random Tucker.
    Looks like another lunar crash. Maybe they can try and reboot it remotely?
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

He’s out of the hospital now? Fair enough, but he was away for two months.
    He's suffering from severe depression, which is not an uncommon stroke side effect. And which led to him checking himself into hospital.

But he can happily walk into the Senate chamber to vote.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Everyone saying Biden is surprisingly good seems to be forgetting the absolute catastrophe that was Afghanistan. It didn’t have to be that bad. One of the greatest foreign policy humiliations in recent American history. And by all accounts that WAS Biden

It’s one of the interesting aspects of the Netflix drama The Diplomat - which is obviously Democrat-leaning, I’d say - is how much severe critique is aimed at that debacle
    And, of course, that emboldened Putin.
    I don't know if there are any countries which have set a maximum age for candidates for political office.

I think there are some limits on judicial age in some US states where they are elected and thus to my mind policians since they are usually backed by a political party, so they weirdly might be more ok with the idea even with examples of far older than Biden being in the Senate.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    Former SNP treasurer Colin Beattie tells journalists he did not know about the party's purchase of a motorhome before being dragged away by minder, not allowed to talk to press when he got out of the meeting.
    Nothing to see here move along.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,088
    kle4 said:

Chomsky developed the idea of a universal grammar innate to humans, and that this explained how infants learned to speak. This contrasted with the behavioural psychologist BF Skinner's theory that language acquisition was due to external stimuli and reinforcement. Chomsky's version was generally accepted (although it was never clear to me as a mere undergraduate that they were arguing at the same level of explanation and that both could be true).

Today, however babies do it, reinforcement learning is back in fashion for AI language acquisition.
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Quite. It’s an enormous black mark against Biden. All too conveniently overlooked
    geoffw said:

kle4 said:

try Google

Yes, thank you geoffw. I was, in fact, somewhat interested in the opinions of PBers on the man, and thus their interpretation of a either the fall of a great man or the continuance of an utter crank, which would provide both the raw facts of his celebrity and something more useful.
    malcolmg said:

Former SNP treasurer Colin Beattie tells journalists he did not know about the party's purchase of a motorhome before being dragged away by minder, not allowed to talk to press when he got out of the meeting.

With an active polis investigation underway, he needs a minder to pull the zip across his mouth.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

By all accounts, Afghanistan was Biden ballsing up a Trump balls-up. Trump made a deal with the Taliban to withdraw US troops. Biden implemented it, ignoring warnings that the Taliban were not playing a straight bat.
    geoffw said:

Pence would do it if asked, he's such a tool. But it is an interesting question - who offers him the most? Politico were arguing the other day that the evangelical wing does not seem as powerful, in the sense that Trump retains plenty of backing there despite his personal values, so what gaps does Trump have in his arsenal?

Does he need a woman? Someone even more extreme than himself so he looks less extreme? A token boring person as a sop to those who don't like him but will vote GOP regardless?

He should go full House of Cards on this and have Ivanka as his running mate or something, or Don Jr.

kle4 said:

Chomsky developed the idea of a universal grammar innate to humans, and that this explained how infants learned to speak. This contrasted with the behavioural psychologist BF Skinner's theory that language acquisition was due to external stimuli and reinforcement. Chomsky's version was generally accepted (although it was never clear to me as a mere undergraduate that they were arguing at the same level of explanation and that both could be true).

Today, however babies do it, reinforcement learning is back in fashion for AI language acquisition.
    As more and more work is done at the neurological level, Chomsky's theories are rather falling out of fashion.

Leon said:

Leon said:

By all accounts, Afghanistan was Biden ballsing up a Trump balls-up. Trump made a deal with the Taliban to withdraw US troops. Biden implemented it, ignoring warnings that the Taliban were not playing a straight bat.
    Sure, but at some stage the actual President has to carry the can. He is in charge. Biden was in charge. He could have pulled the plug on whatever crazy deal Trump had done. He did not. It was a disaster
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Quite. It’s an enormous black mark against Biden. All too conveniently overlooked
    He has somewhat redeemed himself in his steadfast support for Ukraine.
    kle4 said:

geoffw said:

Pence would do it if asked, he's such a tool. But it is an interesting question - who offers him the most? Politico were arguing the other day that the evangelical wing does not seem as powerful, in the sense that Trump retains plenty of backing there despite his personal values, so what gaps does Trump have in his arsenal?

Does he need a woman? Someone even more extreme than himself so he looks less extreme? A token boring person as a sop to those who don't like him but will vote GOP regardless?

He should go full House of Cards on this and have Ivanka as his running mate or something, or Don Jr.
    Trump should run with Ivanka and step down in two years so Ivanka becomes the first female president, and almost certainly the first Jewish one as well. For real lols, Ivanka should then switch parties back to Democrat.
    kle4 said:

geoffw said:

Oh come on, Eric is the really talented one.
    kle4 said:

geoffw said:

Kari Lake is good. She’s a lot sharper than Kamala. She’s also quite crazy but compared to Trump…

Tucker Carlson would be great for the lolz

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

Trump should run with Ivanka and step down in two years so Ivanka becomes the first female president, and almost certainly the first Jewish one as well. For real lols, Ivanka should then switch parties back to Democrat.
    And at the same time, James Murdoch will take the reigns at Fox, and drag it far to the left.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,677

He also hates the UK, a neurosis that sadly has not mellowed with age. Combined with a biddable UK PM like Sunak (doubt Starmer will be a great improvement), his continued tenure is bad for us.
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Requiring redemption in the first place is a shame, but he certainly got that one right. Afghanistan was only various possibilities of very bad, though a particularly extreme version occurred.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089
    kle4 said:

I don't know if there are any countries which have set a maximum age for candidates for political office.

I think there are some limits on judicial age in some US states where they are elected and thus to my mind policians since they are usually backed by a political party, so they weirdly might be more ok with the idea even with examples of far older than Biden being in the Senate.

A quick google shows that Uganda has a maximum age of 75 for election as president (and a minimum age of 35). Apart from Dutch mayors having to be under 70 that is the only reference I can find anywhere to maximum ages for elected office.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

As more and more work is done at the neurological level, Chomsky's theories are rather falling out of fashion.
    Would be surprising if they weren't given that they are so old now.
    However, his takedown of behaviourism was a hugely influential, and, I would argue, net positive for society.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

With an active polis investigation underway, he needs a minder to pull the zip across his mouth.
    They are starting to gight like ferrets in a sack. Flynn and Blackford has a dingdong on twitter re who told who when about auditors etc
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

It's just a shame Tiffany is ineligible. Maybe in 2028.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

While age has its drawbacks, he does have the wisdom of experience. 50 years in front line politics means that he knows how to get stuff done.

He also hates the UK, a neurosis that sadly has not mellowed with age. Combined with a biddable UK PM like Sunak (doubt Starmer will be a great improvement), his continued tenure is bad for us.
    Didn't he back us fully over the Falklands, when others were being more wishy washy?
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019
    kle4 said:

geoffw said:

It'll probably be Marjorie Taylor Greene. God help us if they win.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, and we too believed our own propaganda that the corrupt puppet state that we installed would be able to hold out.

It wasn't just an American debacle, it was a world beating British one, up there with our previous defeats in Afghanistan.
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

It's just a shame Tiffany is ineligible. Maybe in 2028.
    Blimey, who would have thought Rickieeee and Bianca's kid would have such an illustrious future.
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m not a fan of Biden - obvs - but he has been excellent on Ukraine. Indeed Afghanistan aside (a big aside) I think most of his best moments have been in foreign policy. He’s an old Cold War bro and it shows

He delegates well. He sends out good people. He doesn’t take stupid risks. He’s slowly marshalling a serious alliance against China. Etc

Trump would probably have abandoned Ukraine on day 1
    He'd certainly have cut the war short, in a saturday morning troll kind of way.
    DougSeal said:

Perhaps worth noting, that major reason why Richard Nixon selected Spiro Agnew as his running mate in 1968, was because at that time, Agnew was regarded as a LIBERAL Republican.

Because when he was elected Governor of Maryland in 1966, Agnew defeated a conservative, quasi-segregationist Democrat, winning in part due to support from African Americans.

Also in 1968, Agnew endorsed Nixon's leading GOP rival, Gov. Nelson Rockefeller, the poster-politico for Liberal Republicanism in the 1960s, for president. However, by the time the national convention rolled around, Agnew's ardor for Rocky had cooled (for personal reasons mostly) and Nixon picked up on that.

Yet another rationale for picking a guy named Spiro for VP, was to appeal to White ethnic (as the term was used mid-20th century) such as Irish, Italians, Slavs and also Greeks like Agnew (his father was Theophrastos Anagnostopoulos before immigrating to Baltimore). These voters, mostly Democratic since the New Deal, were concerned (and understatement) by rise of Black militancy and political clout in 1960s, and thus targeted by conservative Democrats like George Wallace AND conservative Republicans like Richard Nixon.

It wasn't until AFTER Agnew was nominated in the long, hot Summer of 1968, that he emerged as a barely-muzzled right-wing attack-dog.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,854

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

The rise of the LibDems is the watchout. A significant number of Tory seats are vulnerable if people start tactically voting LD...
    Or even if they go back to voting Lib Dem again in a non-tactical way. A the last election, there was a lot of tactical voting in an anti-Corbyn kind of way....
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Would be surprising if they weren't given that they are so old now.
    However, his takedown of behaviourism was a hugely influential, and, I would argue, net positive for society.
    He didn’t take it down.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

The LD +4 share is interesting.

Go back to your constituencies and prepare for Government.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Although there is a school of thought that the US has been far too timid in its level of support and that Biden is culpable for giving Putin the wrong signals at the summit in Geneva before the invasion.
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

And at the same time, James Murdoch will take the reigns at Fox, and drag it far to the left.
    And then Fox will die

Fox is not popular because it’s “fox” and “run by the murdochs”. It’s popular because it’s right wing populism done well

For which there is a HUGE market

If fox abandon that and become another CNN they will get as dismal viewing figures as CNN

It’s like when they tried to cancel Joe Rogan for being unwoke. Turned out people liked Joe rogan unwoke and didn’t want some simpering woke replacement, and Rogan just did his podcast in a new and equally successful way
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019
    OT https://formula1news.co.uk/monaco-grand-prix-at-high-risk-of-being-cancelled/

Looks like the Monaco GP might have to be cancelled because of power cuts caused by the French strikes. Given that it's the most boring race by far, let's hope so!
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,070
    kle4 said:

Transformational generative grammar (probably wrong). Being a leftie. Opposing Viet-Nam. Guru. Academic celeb rock-star status. Old. Public pontificator. Same camp as Foucould, Derrida, Marcuse, Sartre, PBers and others whose great thoughts won't survive time's filter paper.
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

Kari Lake is good. She’s a lot sharper than Kamala. She’s also quite crazy but compared to Trump…

In 2016, loads of commentators said Trump would be great for the lolz. Be careful what you wish for!
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

They are starting to gight like ferrets in a sack. Flynn and Blackford has a dingdong on twitter re who told who when about auditors etc
    Sad that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is no longer with us.

OR is this a job for Inspector Rebus?

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Is big pharma?
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,070

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

Not quite. In 2019 the LDs got 27.45% in these seats.

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    The ANC have announced that they are taking South Africa out of the International Criminal Court.

• Sandpit said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

In 2016, loads of commentators said Trump would be great for the lolz. Be careful what you wish for!
    There have, in fairness, been significant lolz along the way. There's been a lot of other sh1t, and some of the lolz have come from a dark place, but you can't deny he's provided entertainment.

The ANC have announced that they are taking South Africa out of the International Criminal Court.

Well that's one way to not have an issue with the forthcoming Putin visit. Bit obvious though, looks simpering to him.
    edited April 2023
    CatMan said:

OT https://formula1news.co.uk/monaco-grand-prix-at-high-risk-of-being-cancelled/

Looks like the Monaco GP might have to be cancelled because of power cuts caused by the French strikes. Given that it's the most boring race by far, let's hope so!

That’s a very unofficial clickbait news site, taking a single statement from a militant French union to disrupt sporting events seriously.

But.

The race was delayed for half an hour last year, after a power cut caused by rain. One now assumes that the local grid is more resilient, and can be made even more so, specifically for the event, by bringing in large backup generators. They won’t be cancelling, way too much money at stake.
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

And then Fox will die

Fox is not popular because it’s “fox” and “run by the murdochs”. It’s popular because it’s right wing populism done well

If fox abandon that and become another CNN they will get as dismal viewing figures as CNN

It’s like when they tried to cancel Joe Rogan for being unwoke. Turned out people liked Joe rogan unwoke and didn’t want some simpering woke replacement, and Rogan just did his podcast in a new and equally successful way
    Is Fucker Carlson up to eating a bug on-air? Sure hope so!

BTW, whatever happened to Bill O'Reilly, who at one time was (also) a power in Wing-nutland?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018

Time to kick them out of international sport again.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,594
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

And then Fox will die

As we saw with the Dominion fiasco, Fox is now in the ludicrous situation of having to lie to its own audience because otherwise they'd all defect to even more extreme networks. That can't be a sustainable model. A move to the centre in an effort to wean its audience off all the mad Trumpite conspiracy theories is probably the only long-term option. Otherwise the destination is pure David Icke.
    kle4 said:

Well that's one way to not have an issue with the forthcoming Putin visit. Bit obvious though, looks simpering to him.
    Exactly.
    kle4 said:

I guess we’re back to boycotting South Africa then. It’s the ‘80s all over again.
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Transformational generative grammar (probably wrong). Being a leftie. Opposing Viet-Nam. Guru. Academic celeb rock-star status. Old. Public pontificator. Same camp as Foucould, Derrida, Marcuse, Sartre, PBers and others whose great thoughts won't survive time's filter paper.
    Hang on, Sartre said "hell is other people"*, so he got at least one thing right.

He also wrote The Plague, which was an excellent book.

* Yes, yes, I know it was a character in No Exit.
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

And then Fox will die

I wasn't being serious.
  • Labour leads by 2% in the Blue Wall. In 2019, Labour came THIRD in these seats.

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

To be clear, Labour came third OVERALL in the seats R&W define as "Blue Wall" (Tory 50%, Lib Dem 27%, Labour 21%) BUT it includes seats where they came second as well as third due to how R&W define "Blue Wall" (below).

"For the purposes of our tracker polling, we have limited ourselves to studying constituencies which meet five criteria: 1) The constituency is in the South of England 2) The constituency elected a Conservative MP at the 2015, 2017, and 2019 General Elections 3) At least 25% of adults in the constituency have a degree 4) The Remain vote in the 2016 Brexit referendum in the constituency was greater than 42.5% 5) The Conservatives hold the constituency on a majority of less than 10,000 over Labour OR less than 15,000 over the Liberal Democrats."

Indeed, the criteria mean the Labour targets in the sample are, in general, a bit less of a stretch than the Lib Dem ones (10k rather than 15k majority) albeit there are more Lib Dem targets in the sample.
    kle4 said:

Didn't he back us fully over the Falklands, when others were being more wishy washy?
    Yes, he was impressive in that interview. I don't know why he took our side, and it doesn't really matter - perhaps there was an anti-fascist perspective that he was aligning with. It remains true that his words and actions in Government are of someone who regards the UK as both his province, and a disliked foe. And we have nobody on our side who will raise so much as an eyebrow, much less an objection. Sunak makes Boris look almost Thatcheresque in his defence of the national interest.
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

At some point, their lawyer is going to confiscate their phones, and keep them all under house arrest in an hotel somewhere.

What will they all be like in six weeks’ time, when the audited accounts aren’t ready, and £100k a month in Short Money dries up?

Presumably at that point, they’re putting most of their own staff on voluntary furlough to avoid bankruptcy, unless they can find a donor or lender to cover the bill? But why would anyone hand money to an organisation with no accounts?
  • algarkirk said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

But the Tories got 50%, so that's a 7.5% swing BEFORE any tactical voting (which I suspect will be fairly strong although time will tell).

Remember that, in 1997, Lib Dems went from 20 to 46 seats on a REDUCED vote share compared with 1992.
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

At some point, their lawyer is going to confiscate their phones, and keep them all under house arrest in an hotel somewhere.

What will they all be like in six weeks’ time, when the audited accounts aren’t ready, and £100k a month in Short Money dries up?

Presumably at that point, they’re putting most of their own staff on voluntary furlough to avoid bankruptcy, unless they can find a donor or lender to cover the bill? But why would anyone hand money to an organisation with no accounts?
    That would be a rational way of proceeding.

So they won’t do that.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m not a fan of Biden - obvs - but he has been excellent on Ukraine. Indeed Afghanistan aside (a big aside) I think most of his best moments have been in foreign policy. He’s an old Cold War bro and it shows

He delegates well. He sends out good people. He doesn’t take stupid risks. He’s slowly marshalling a serious alliance against China. Etc

Trump would probably have abandoned Ukraine on day 1
    Good grief don't big Biden up. You were doing that to Carlson only the other week and look what happened to him.
  • tlg86 said:

If that's the criterion, they'd be out in the cold with the United States, as well as China, Russia, and India.

Looking good for Team GB.
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

lol

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018

tlg86 said:

If that's the criterion, they'd be out in the cold with the United States, as well as China, Russia, and India.

Looking good for Team GB.
    Lol, fair point. Does rather show the pointlessness of these international institutions.

• kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    algarkirk said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

See my previous reply. As campaigning progresses in target seats that figure goes up at the expense of support in non target seats. Also note the Tory vote is down by much more giving a net swing to the LDs.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

They’ll blame the uNiOnIsTs and hand out the begging bowl for donations.
    algarkirk said:

Labour 34% (-3)
    Conservative 32% (-3)
    Green 5% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (+1)
    Other 1% (+1)

Though should be some good gains with the Tory vote substantially weaker.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

And then Fox will die

Is Fucker Carlson up to eating a bug on-air? Sure hope so!

BTW, whatever happened to Bill O'Reilly, who at one time was (also) a power in Wing-nutland?
    What happened to Glenn Beck? Not that I want him back, so much as I could never believe how much he looked like Biff Tannen... 😀

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

That would be a rational way of proceeding.

So they won’t do that.
    The initial police comment referred to matters being sub-judice, which I assume works in a similar manner in Scotland and England. That means that everyone involved says precisely nothing, at all, to anyone else, under penalty of perjury.

If an ill-informed journalist (insert joke here) doesn’t understand the rules and asks questions, you still say nothing whatsoever on the subject, lest you either perjure or incriminate yourself in court later.