Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Some of the front pages from the Sundays – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,573
    Dialup said:

Dianne Abbott is clearly very unwell, you can see the sad fall in her ability to speak clearly over the last few years.

The abuse and racism she has experienced, has contributed to that.

She should for own health and wellbeing, stand down as an MP.

Whist she may be unwell and if so she needs treatment, let us not forget her back.history
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Gloucestershire are now going to lose this match, as I've put the livestream from New Road on for ten minutes.

Edit - FFS, I'd literally just left the room to refill my glass of water and a wicket falls!

Don’t leave the room then.

They must like away games, they actually get to play a match unlike home games.
    You just had to open your mouth, didn't you?
    Don’t take it from me. The Creature from the Black Lagoon waves in your direction. It has as many home wickets itself this season as all the Gloster bowlers total combined. And it also plays in a lagoon too just like they do.

At Hove Umpires have said it's very wet, but there is plenty of time and they are prepared to wait and see if the ground staff can get the pitch fit.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,088

Off-topic: a rant, if I may.

A vague acquaintance is running the London Marathon today. I've sponsored her, and wondered how she was doing, so went to the London Marathon website.

To see how someone is doing, you need to download an app; the data is not available on the website. There's no way I'm going to download an app just for that; and I cannot see a valid reason why the data could not be on a website.

(This is where someone points out that the data is indeed available on a website...)

https://www.tcslondonmarathon.com/results/2023-results
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

Off-topic: a rant, if I may.

A vague acquaintance is running the London Marathon today. I've sponsored her, and wondered how she was doing, so went to the London Marathon website.

To see how someone is doing, you need to download an app; the data is not available on the website. There's no way I'm going to download an app just for that; and I cannot see a valid reason why the data could not be on a website.

(This is where someone points out that the data is indeed available on a website...)

https://results.tcslondonmarathon.com/2023/?pid=tracking&pidp=tracking
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Afternoon all.

SNP the most transparent party in Scotland, says deputy leader Keith Brown.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-65365904

Er ... yes. Transparently what, the world wonders?

Those audited accounts will be along in 3… 2… 1…
    He has admitted that he didn't know that the auditors had resigned for months. And he didn't know that the SNP had bought a camper van for £110k. And he was deputy leader of the party! The SNP have got away with proclaiming falsehoods for years, repeating them monotonously so that they become accepted fact but it is no longer working. Now its just funny and sad.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

DougSeal said:

I don’t think Diane Abbott is very well. I really don’t.

She'll be 70 next year. That doesn't automatically mean that she's past it, but it's not shameful if her age is limiting her ability to think sharply.

Maybe "standing down for health reasons" is the kindest (and not wholly untrue) way out for everyone.
    Diane Abbott will be 70 later this year, and possibly 71 by the election if Rishi hangs on till autumn.
    Lot of ageist comments here today. Neither Big G nor myself would post anything so (expletive deleted) stupid. Or offensive!
    I think people recognise age itself is not an issue automatically, but recognise deterioration becomes more common. I don't think anyone can really have enough data to say that is the case with Abbott, it's all anecdote, so the speculation does not help.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,467
    Thanks to everyone who responded with the website. ;)
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    edited April 2023
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

On reflection, Abbot’s letter - and the weird apology - is so bonkers I can believe she has a mental health issue. However, she also has a history of stupidity, offensive crassness - “Mao was OK” - and outright race baiting so: Whatever, tough shit

The letter was explicitly in response to these recent article comparing relative experience of Racism.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/15/racism-in-britain-is-not-a-black-and-white-issue-it-is-far-more-complicated?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
    Owolade's article is a good one, very balanced and clear.

Abbott's rebuttal of it is awful and her apology limp. I suspect Leon might be right and Abbott may have some mental health issues. It feels like her 'common sense' filter has gone and we are seeing her true beliefs, which are not pretty.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533
    Very O/T, but as cooking and gadgets occasionally come up and it's a slow day I thought I'd recommend this little thing : https://www.lakeland.co.uk/62569/lakeland-2-portion-mini-electric-rice-cooker

Little rice cooker that does two (very) generous portions of rice. Very easy to use and clean too.
  • Emergency alarm in 10 minutes

May wake up Spurs but I doubt it
    West Ham only 3-0 up.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    @SkyBet

53 customers have backed Newcastle 5-0 Tottenham @ 80/1 👀

17 have Newcastle 6-0 Tottenham @ 200/1 😳
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366
    Dialup said:

Dianne Abbott is clearly very unwell, you can see the sad fall in her ability to speak clearly over the last few years.

Given Dianne Abbott is an avowed racist herself, I don't have too much sympathy.
    ohnotnow said:

Very O/T, but as cooking and gadgets occasionally come up and it's a slow day I thought I'd recommend this little thing : https://www.lakeland.co.uk/62569/lakeland-2-portion-mini-electric-rice-cooker

Little rice cooker that does two (very) generous portions of rice. Very easy to use and clean too.

Porridge too. There has been an explosion in electrical cooking gizmos in the last couple of years.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,631

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Gloucestershire are now going to lose this match, as I've put the livestream from New Road on for ten minutes.

Edit - FFS, I'd literally just left the room to refill my glass of water and a wicket falls!

Don’t leave the room then.

They must like away games, they actually get to play a match unlike home games.
    You just had to open your mouth, didn't you?
    Don’t take it from me. The Creature from the Black Lagoon waves in your direction. It has as many home wickets itself this season as all the Gloster bowlers total combined. And it also plays in a lagoon too just like they do.

At Hove Umpires have said it's very wet, but there is plenty of time and they are prepared to wait and see if the ground staff can get the pitch fit.
    So Sussex might still win?

Foxy said:

Leon said:

On reflection, Abbot’s letter - and the weird apology - is so bonkers I can believe she has a mental health issue. However, she also has a history of stupidity, offensive crassness - “Mao was OK” - and outright race baiting so: Whatever, tough shit

The letter was explicitly in response to these recent article comparing relative experience of Racism.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/15/racism-in-britain-is-not-a-black-and-white-issue-it-is-far-more-complicated?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
    Owolade's article is a good one, very balanced and clear.

Abbott's rebuttal of it is awful and her apology limp. I suspect Leon might be right and Abbott may have some mental health issues. It feels like her 'common sense' filter has gone and we are seeing her true beliefs, which are not pretty.
    A major problem with her apology of course is the issue people have with her letter was its thesis. A redraft could hardly address that - of course, if she would like to share that intended final draft that would be very interesting.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,091
    biggles said:

Sandpit said:

The whole point of the debt limit, is the paralysis it leads to. It makes the lawmakers question and debate every single aspect of government spending, looking at what’s necessary and what’s not.

But they don’t, do they. They just argue for a bit, make no decisions and then raise it after a silly “shutdown”.
    The big problem of the debt limit I think is structural -- Congress separately sets (1) spending (2) taxes (3) how much the government can borrow, even though these things are very obviously linked. So you get really stupid results when the three things are set to conflicting values. They'd do better to set two of them and let the mathematics determine where the third number ends up.

The other problem with it is that right now Congress is pretty dysfunctional, so a system that works when the parties are sanely led and controllable and willing to deal with each other falls apart, and the US veers perilously close to actually defaulting (which would be insane).

ohnotnow said:

Porridge too. There has been an explosion in electrical cooking gizmos in the last couple of years.
    Yeah - I tried the porridge mode and it worked pretty well. Nice that it has a timer so you can set it to come on first thing so it's freshly made when you are ready.
    Shitting Hell! WW3 has just broken out!
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Well, the alert worked.

Getting ready for the robot apocalypse?
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    One has gone off here. Nothing on mine though.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904
    All the iPhones went off early?!?!

Had my alert a minute early. Who can I complain to? ;)
    Hope you all made it through alive.
    Just had my government alarm on my phone. Really struggling to see the need for this.
    Still nothing here. I must be on a shit list.
  • Shitting Hell! WW3 has just broken out!

Ours was all in Welsh apart from OK. !!!!
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,269
    Knew the alert was happening today, still made me jump lol
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Football: My bet on Bournemouth has developed in a way not necessarily to my advantage.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    edited April 2023

Definitely early here too.

Only Mrs Flatlander's phone did anything. I had mobile data switched off, so it didn't work. Seems a voice connection isn't sufficient.

Surely a text would be better?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    Didn't hear anything, thank god.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    ohnotnow said:

I just use a saucepan :)
    Nothing on my Pixel.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,458
    I’m glad I wasn’t having a nap when that went off. Some scary shit.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271

Good afternoon, everyone.

Football: My bet on Bournemouth has developed in a way not necessarily to my advantage.

Did you have a double with Spurs?

ohnotnow said:

I think rice cookers are pretty universal in the Far East. One of the few gadgets that we don't have in my house!

Well, mine worked.

That is, going into settings and turning emergency and severe alerts off yesterday so I wasn't bothered by this.
    Neither mine nor my Mum's phone had the alarm :shrug:
    Eabhal said:

Mine is Android.
    ydoethur said:

Well, mine worked.

That is, going into settings and turning emergency and severe alerts off yesterday so I wasn't bothered by this.

Authoritarian nonsense I'm afraid. But people don't care.
    Oh, it turns out just a shit network. Twitter reporting Three users have not got it.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Mr. Al, hey, my judgement isn't *that* bad.
    Cut to Diane Abbott sitting in a control centre: "Only kidding!"
    carnforth said:

Oh, it turns out just a shit network. Twitter reporting Three users have not got it.

Well, that's not bad. If out of all the millions of phones in the U.K. only three didn't get it that's probably a result.
  • I see Spurs have Hibs-ed it.

No need for that.
    A. Hibby.
  • Was that it? I was hoping for something like an air raid warning.
    ydoethur said:

carnforth said:

Well, that's not bad. If out of all the millions of phones in the U.K. only three didn't get it that's probably a result.
    Nul points. I used the capital letter advisedly :-)
    Foxy said:

ohnotnow said:

I think rice cookers are pretty universal in the Far East. One of the few gadgets that we don't have in my house!

Well, I can recommend that little one if two large-ish portions of rice would do you. The cable is detachable too so really easy to store. I think I read recently that due to some problem (which I don't remember) in... Thailand (or Korea?) people were using them even more to make full rice dishes.

Newcastle seem to be having some sort of crisis in that last half hour - no goals whatsoever, not even a couple.
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

Well, mine worked.

Authoritarian nonsense I'm afraid. But people don't care.
    Why authoritarian?

Having an emergency alert system is fine by me.

Only Mrs Flatlander's phone did anything. I had mobile data switched off, so it didn't work. Seems a voice connection isn't sufficient.

I deliberately had mobile data off, and it still worked.

The limitations are:
    "You will not receive alerts if your device is:
    turned off or in airplane mode
    connected to a 2G or 3G network
    wifi only
    not compatible"

https://www.gov.uk/alerts/how-alerts-work
  • Alarm woken Spurs up

Just scored

Mr. Al, hey, my judgement isn't *that* bad.

You say that but you appear to be responding to Mr AI.

GPT would like to have a chat with you about that.
    DavidL said:

Just had my government alarm on my phone. Really struggling to see the need for this.

I can see a point. How many idiots get stuck in the snow when they travel despite severe weather warnings? How about the 10% of homes that are liable to flooding? It’s within fairly recent times that we have seen epic floods in winter (sometimes, even, in places that the government/media care about, I.e. the South). And yes there are occasions when police operations might justify a stay indoors text to an area.
    What’s your beef with it?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    WillG said:

Dialup said:

Given Dianne Abbott is an avowed racist herself, I don't have too much sympathy.
    I may be wrong, but the impression I get is that she has recieved far more abuse fir being a bloody idiot than for being black(or female).
    Because she is an idiot, she appears to think a lot of the abuse she recieves for the former reason is actually for the latter reason.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    My phone went off, my wife's didn't and nothing on any other device.

A rather odd choice. What proportion of those living in Wales speak Welsh?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    I hope all you people who didn't acknowledge the signal realise what trouble you are in.

Imagine yourselves strung up in front of Suella Braverman, and there's a whip in her hand. And I don't just mean Simon Hart.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

Quite an amazing men's marathon run in London. The winner smashed the course record, and nearly got the world record.

Damn, didn’t realise it was only 16s off the WR. What a performance from Kiptum, will he be the first to run a marathon under two hours?

DavidL said:

I can see a point. How many idiots get stuck in the snow when they travel despite severe weather warnings? How about the 10% of homes that are liable to flooding? It’s within fairly recent times that we have seen epic floods in winter (sometimes, even, in places that the government/media care about, I.e. the South). And yes there are occasions when police operations might justify a stay indoors text to an area.
    Or a tsunami warning. Which let's face it isn't out of the question in the West Country and Wales.
    Chris said:

I hope all you people who didn't acknowledge the signal realise what trouble you are in.

Imagine yourselves strung up in front of Suella Braverman, and there's a whip in her hand. And I don't just mean Simon Hart.

Apparently a lot of flights to Rwanda have been booked for next week, just saying.

ohnotnow said:

I just use a saucepan :)
    I'm a convert now. I watch a lot of S.E Asian cookery programmes and used to bridle slightly at them with their silly "rice cookers". "Why not just use a pot, for goodness sake!"

But now I have seen The True Way. And it is good.

DavidL said:

I am an anti-social git who doesn't like messages or calls from anybody. Not sure why I have a phone tbh. But if I had to choose who was not to contact me the government would be right up there.
  • Chris said:

Have you asked ChatGPT for its advice?
    edited April 2023
    Slight problem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-65330397

"People yet to receive an alert
    Some colleagues here in the newsroom are yet to receive any alert on their phones.

We'll bring you any response from the government should they comment on this afternoon's test."
  • DavidL said:

It seems sensible to test it and be able to make specific tailored warnings for an area

Ours was in Welsh but no doubt bi lingual if I hadn't pushed OK quickly

DavidL said:

I think for fast moving event like a roving terror attack it would be good. Otherwise, the people who get in stuck in snow will continue to get stuck in snow, bless them.

DavidL said:

Absolutely. People should just follow the government's instructions. You have nothing to fear unless you are doing something you Shouldn't Be.
  • Shitting Hell! WW3 has just broken out!

29%

I deliberately had mobile data off, and it still worked.

The limitations are:
    "You will not receive alerts if your device is:
    turned off or in airplane mode
    connected to a 2G or 3G network
    wifi only
    not compatible"

https://www.gov.uk/alerts/how-alerts-work
    That's a bit weird, because we have identical phones and the only difference is that mine had data off.

The phones were about 2m apart.

Oddly enough, my Nokia 6310i from 2002 also failed to go off. :wink:

DavidL said:

It seems sensible to test it and be able to make specific tailored warnings for an area

Is "OK" really Welsh?

Alarm woken Spurs up

Just scored

The fight-back begins!
    carnforth said:

I'm on EE and didn't get it.

DavidL said:

Location alerts via phone cells seems good for localised incidents like terrorism etc.
    Chris said:

DavidL said:

Is "OK" really Welsh?
    Just as much as it is English...
  • TresTres Posts: 2,648
    told you rishi was a ditherer. can't even get an government IT project to work
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,091
    Andy_JS said:

Slight problem.

Some colleagues here in the newsroom are yet to receive any alert on their phones.

My phone beeped at 14:59; my SIM-equipped tablet didn't until 15:12. Just as well it was only a test I guess...
    edited April 2023
    Well, having turned my phone's alerts off for the test, as I didn't want to be disturbed, as it might come in handy one day I thought I'd better turn it back on.

So I got the alert anyway 15 minutes late...apparently it stays dormant until it can connect.

Chris said:

Have you asked ChatGPT for its advice?
    It seemed to go off into some kind of sado-masochistic fantasy. At least I hope it was a fantasy.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    Eabhal said:

Premature Armageddon.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    ydoethur said:

Well, mine worked.

Is there a way of uninstalling?
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Or a tsunami warning. Which let's face it isn't out of the question in the West Country and Wales.
    Or the east coast...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storegga_Slide
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,545
    Andy_JS said:

Slight problem.

We'll bring you any response from the government should they comment on this afternoon's test."

OK, it's a test, and it should be a learning experience. Like that Elon Musk rocket.
    But it doesn't detract from the image of a government that can't make anything actually bloody work.

If Frasier Crane ("Had this been a real emergency, your radio would be melting in your hands") can manage it, why can't HMG? Or these funsters?

https://youtu.be/23U2ssOPs-M
    ydoethur said:

Well, having turned my phone's alerts off for the test, as I didn't want to be disturbed, as it might come in handy one day I thought I'd better turn it back on.

So I got the alert anyway 15 minutes late...apparently it stays dormant until it can connect.

Racking my memory for the sketch that included recorded highlights of the End of the World.

Alert inequality is clearly a major issue that needs to be tackled as a matter of urgency by the government.

Imagine if we had a tsunami and some people heard the warning before others? What is Labour's policy on this? We need answers.

How does the government know how the test went?
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019

DavidL said:

Mine was bi lingual, although I had to scroll down to read the English bit. Also it was a few minutes late, so I guess I'm dead now.
    edited April 2023

'OK' didn't appear in our (English) alert.

Could this be a cunning plan to undermine the Welsh language?

English alert: "Massive solar radiation burst - stay inside";
    Welsh alert (translated): "Nothing to worry about, enjoy the sunshine, everything is OK."
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Well, mine worked.

Is there a way of uninstalling?
    You can disable it via phone settings if you want to do so.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216

What is Labour's policy on this? We need answers.

Alerts for the many, not the few!

Mine went off (a minute early) while out walking as did others on the lawns - but to open my iPhone I cleared the alert!
    edited April 2023

Alert inequality is clearly a major issue that needs to be tackled as a matter of urgency by the government.

Imagine if we had a tsunami and some people heard the warning before others? What is Labour's policy on this? We need answers.

Give people who didn't get the warning a wave.
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

The Met Office issues weather warnings, and the Environment Agency issues flood warnings. You can subscribe to them or watch various web sites. No doubt local media cover them too. But the point is that weather conditions can be forecast in advance. We do not have natural disasters, so no earthquake or volcano warnings, so what's left? Terrorist incidents? Probably too localised and in any case today's bombers don't give warnings like the old IRA did (sometimes). So what is the point?
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,545
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

How does the government know how the test went?
    Easy.

Check out PB.
    No sign they do that, though.

Think of all the self-inflicted pratfalls they could avoid that way.
    Eabhal said:

DavidL said:

I think for fast moving event like a roving terror attack it would be good. Otherwise, the people who get in stuck in snow will continue to get stuck in snow, bless them.
    They will, but it gives them less of an excuse. Not catching a weather warning is one thing, an actual alert sent direct to your phone is something else.

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

The Met Office issues weather warnings, and the Environment Agency issues flood warnings. You can subscribe to them or watch various web sites. No doubt local media cover them too. But the point is that weather conditions can be forecast in advance. We do not have natural disasters, so no earthquake or volcano warnings, so what's left? Terrorist incidents? Probably too localised and in any case today's bombers don't give warnings like the old IRA did (sometimes). So what is the point?
    A tsunami is not a weather event, and although there is no evidence of one recently there is a fault in the Atlantic that could trigger one.
This discussion has been closed.