Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

From Mike Smithson – a personal note – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,467
    Taz said:

pigeon said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Protestors at the snooker!

Complaining about the welfare of the pockets, and that the red balls end up dead? Or are they worried about abuse of the chalk from the competitors?
    One of the tables has been defaced with some sort of orange dust. The other table someone tried to get onto it. Was hard to see exactly what happened.
    Oh crap. If they’re defaced the tables, they’ll have little choice but to abandon the session. It takes hours to change the cloths.

Perhaps they should leave the protestors in the arena, and let the crowd deal with them.
    I was thinking of tying them to the table and playing with 2 pinks.
    What offence has the protestor committed? Criminal damage I guess?

What will the penalty be wonder - not much if anything? And he'll no doubt get pats on the back and kudos for what he did from his compatriots - and he's signalled his "virtue" on the tele.

So in the end the stunt was a cheap, effective way to disrupt and give their message. What can be done?
    A quick search confirms that the Boat Race swimmer from some years back got jail, so there's some hope.
    That rather bizarre individual who got on the track for the British GP all those years ago got time too.
    The idiot who ran onto the GP track was an Irish priest, and did other similar 'stunts'. The worst (and IMO unforgivable) was tackling the leader of the 2004 Greek Olympic Marathon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Horan
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Right on cue…
    What is the complaint they have with snooker....are they insane it is probably one of the most innocuos sports...no animals involved, no huge CO2 emissions....my gast is totally flabbered
    How can you be so insensitive???

A WHITE ball goes around hitting and then burying COLORED balls?

Can you get a sport that is more evidently racist???
    Yes but you'd think they'd approve of the green baize.
    White ball lording it over, literally rolling over, the Color of the Faithful. Racism compounding Islamophobia.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Most of the under 50's would vote for a return of FoM, and their views aren't changing with age, from what I've read of the polls, so it's just a question of how long you leave it until the Hard-Brexiter generation is even more clearly outnumbered. Maybe three or four years, at most.

Does anyone understand why younger voters support policies that will inevitably make it more difficult to afford to buy a property? Because the more people there are in the country the more expensive house prices will be, due to supply and demand.
    Presumably they have concluded that bigger issues are:

a) the refusal to build enough new homes over the last couple of decades and

b) the reluctance of older people to downsize.

It they are really paying attention, they will have noticed that the government hasn't cut net immigration, just changed the global mix.

Oppose European Freedom of Movement if you want, but please don't kid yourself that you are doing young people a favour.

Young people are perhaps also aware that their freedom of movement has been taken away by people who enjoyed it for themselves when they were younger.

I find the loss of freedom of movement one of the more interesting complaints of Brexit. How many young Brits actually used it to work round Europe as opposed to going on holiday (still fine)? Most Brits seem to have gap years in SE Asia, NZ, Australia etc.

In addition, academic exchange is still happening. I am hosting a Danish a student at the moment and we exoect to send around 15 of our final years overseas for a semester in the autumn, out of around 60 students.

Having stuff taken away from you, even if you don't intend to use it, can be pretty galling. I have lots of rights that I do not use that I would not like to lose. I can see why knowing that you used to be able to jump on a plane and look for a job for a year or forever or for some time in between in 30 European countries and that you no longer can might be quite provoking.

Maybe, but the point still stands. Almost none of them ever did. I assume you can also get work visas to work in other European countries too.

I’d much rather we hadn’t brexited, and kept both the SM and FoM, and hopefully in the (near) future we can align as close as possible to that state. But on the whole far more Europeans used the FoM to come to the U.K. than ever went the other way.
    It's largely language: they all speak English, and we don't speak [x].
    Absolutely, although my students who go to most European locations report the natives all seem to speak excellent English, and are happy to do so.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,730
    Ghedebrav said:

ydoethur said:

Right on cue…
    You need to be in the right frame of mind to make that sort of joke.
    Perhaps you could triangulate?
    If you're trying to baulk these awful puns, you've missed.
    Give it a rest
    I may have spider nother pun.....
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,759
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Most of the under 50's would vote for a return of FoM, and their views aren't changing with age, from what I've read of polls, so it's just a question of how long you leave it until the Hard-Brexiter generation is outnumbered.

That the younger generation doesn’t see the link between FoM and the unaffordabililty of housing, is one of the mysteries of modern politics.
    There’s not that strong a link - something in the shared rental space but not in house prices. The latter is more low interest rates and lack of alternatives
    It’s down to not building anywhere near enough properties. In all categories of housing.

The denial on this is fascinating.
    It's more complex than that.

The big increase in house prices happened before widespread EU immigration. Between 1992 and 2004, the index of prices of to incomes rose from 4x to just under 8x. In the last 18 years, it's gone up to just a little more than 9x.

Why did prices soar between 1992 and 2004? Because interest rates collapsed, and housing became more theoretically affordable. People buy based on monthly payments, and the collapse of interest rates from 15% to 4%, combined with banks being willing to lend ever more, meant that there was enormous increase in demand for property.

And you then had a multiplier effect: people had made big gains on properties, and could therefore buy more expensive properties because of the big gains they'd made. (Meaning more deposits, meaning banks would lend them more.)

Now, should we build more properties?

Yes.

But building costs have gone through the roof. It's very hard to build new properties for the kind of money that enables developers to make decent profits. And interest rates rising makes it harder for developers too. Let's say they're now borrowing at 7%, and that it takes three years to build a property. That means they need to make a much bigger margin to even absorb the interest costs on borrowing to build.
    During that period, you also had the effect of the Treasury taking tens of billions from council house sales, and using it for government spending rather than towards replacement of the sold housing stock.*

There was an argument for that, but simultaneously pursuing policies which restricted the supply of building land in areas if high demand helped store up the problems we have now.

* The transfer of capital to the capital was likely at least a small contributor to the London centric economic present.
  • #NotMyKing

The King and Queen choose French-inspired dish for Coronation

Quiche featuring spinach, broad beans, cheese and taragon will form the centrepiece of street parties across Britain

It is the dish “personally chosen” by the King and Queen to mark their Coronation, but anyone expecting a classic British recipe might be surprised.

The couple have opted for a French-inspired quiche featuring spinach, broad beans, cheese and tarragon.

It will form the centrepiece of street parties up and down the country, as friends and neighbours join forces to celebrate the Coronation on May 6.

While taking inspiration from across the Channel may raise an eyebrow with some, others saw it as another symbol of the close ties between Brits and their French counterparts.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/04/17/king-charles-coronation-quiche-recipe-revealed/
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,699

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Although Sunak isn't that charismatic.... He is eons ahead of Starmer who is like a block.of wood.

But on today's R&W Starmer is a long way ahead of Sunak on net favourability and a point ahead on best PM.

Sunak grows on you tho. The more you see him, the more you think: Eh, he's OK, sounds smart, looks dapper, seems capable, works hard

Starmer is the opposite. The more you listen to him the more boring he is, the less likeable, the more vacuous, and devoid of ideas

It probably won't matter in an election when the public is urgently yearning for change, but it is a factor to be considered when the GE campaign will expose both men a lot

Remember Sunak did unexpectedly well against Truss when it came to the actual votes, after the hustings and the exposure. She was expected to absolutely walk it, she did not

If it were presidential, like the Tory contest was, that would definitely be a cause for concern for Labour. I see Starmer, at worse, as a slight drag on Labour and Sunak as the only thing the Tories have going for them. And I don't think he is compelling enough to make that much of a difference. I feel he is entirely inauthentic, but I would say that, I guess.

At the end of the day, it's not going to come down to what people think of Sunak or Starmer; both are grey technocrats - competent, articulate, boring.

Come the general election people will ask themselves: do I feel better off, does the country feel in better shape, than five years ago?

And the answer is going to be a resounding 'No'.
    And the next question will be "who has the solutions to make the next five years better than the last five years"?
    True. But if the answer is 'neither', then the fresher side may come out on top by default.
    Or "better the devil you know" might.

This could be avoided, of course, if Sir Keir could come up with some sensible policies...
    How will Starmer manage to respond the grandeur and ambition of Sunak’s vision of slightly more maths at school hdelivered by teachers that don’t exist)? When I heard Sunak speak, I was transported back to Wilson’s white heat of technology, or JFK’s “We choose to go to the Moon…” speech.
    Indeed. The bar is so low and he refuses to even try to clear it.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,631
    DavidL said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Although Sunak isn't that charismatic.... He is eons ahead of Starmer who is like a block.of wood.

But on today's R&W Starmer is a long way ahead of Sunak on net favourability and a point ahead on best PM.

Sunak grows on you tho. The more you see him, the more you think: Eh, he's OK, sounds smart, looks dapper, seems capable, works hard

Starmer is the opposite. The more you listen to him the more boring he is, the less likeable, the more vacuous, and devoid of ideas

It probably won't matter in an election when the public is urgently yearning for change, but it is a factor to be considered when the GE campaign will expose both men a lot

Remember Sunak did unexpectedly well against Truss when it came to the actual votes, after the hustings and the exposure. She was expected to absolutely walk it, she did not

If it were presidential, like the Tory contest was, that would definitely be a cause for concern for Labour. I see Starmer, at worse, as a slight drag on Labour and Sunak as the only thing the Tories have going for them. And I don't think he is compelling enough to make that much of a difference. I feel he is entirely inauthentic, but I would say that, I guess.

At the end of the day, it's not going to come down to what people think of Sunak or Starmer; both are grey technocrats - competent, articulate, boring.

Come the general election people will ask themselves: do I feel better off, does the country feel in better shape, than five years ago?

And the next question will be "who has the solutions to make the next five years better than the last five years"?
    True. But if the answer is 'neither', then the fresher side may come out on top by default.

This could be avoided, of course, if Sir Keir could come up with some sensible policies...
    How will Starmer manage to respond the grandeur and ambition of Sunak’s vision of slightly more maths at school hdelivered by teachers that don’t exist)? When I heard Sunak speak, I was transported back to Wilson’s white heat of technology, or JFK’s “We choose to go to the Moon…” speech.
    The doesn’t add up headlines rather write themselves don’t they (and I am someone who agrees with him about the importance of maths).
    If only somebody had already written them...

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/01/09/something-does-not-add-up/

Or if only Sunak read expert commentary on PB rather than making spreadsheets.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,699
    ydoethur said:

Ghedebrav said:

ydoethur said:

Right on cue…
    Give it a rest
    That's pushing it.
    So many puns it's making me feel blue.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,573
    ydoethur said:

Right on cue…
    He will have to chalk it up to experience.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Taz said:

pigeon said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Complaining about the welfare of the pockets, and that the red balls end up dead? Or are they worried about abuse of the chalk from the competitors?
    One of the tables has been defaced with some sort of orange dust. The other table someone tried to get onto it. Was hard to see exactly what happened.
    Oh crap. If they’re defaced the tables, they’ll have little choice but to abandon the session. It takes hours to change the cloths.

Perhaps they should leave the protestors in the arena, and let the crowd deal with them.

What will the penalty be wonder - not much if anything? And he'll no doubt get pats on the back and kudos for what he did from his compatriots - and he's signalled his "virtue" on the tele.

So in the end the stunt was a cheap, effective way to disrupt and give their message. What can be done?
    A quick search confirms that the Boat Race swimmer from some years back got jail, so there's some hope.
    That rather bizarre individual who got on the track for the British GP all those years ago got time too.
    The idiot who ran onto the GP track was an Irish priest, and did other similar 'stunts'. The worst (and IMO unforgivable) was tackling the leader of the 2004 Greek Olympic Marathon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Horan
    His plans for the German World Cup too !!
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,586
    Commentator says he doesn't know what they are protesting about.

I think the "Just Stop Oil" T Shirt may be a clue
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Taz said:

Sandpit said:

pigeon said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The idiots at Silverstone last year got suspended sentences and community service, having been convicted by a jury at the Crown Court. Sadly, judges appear to be taking an increasingly lenient stance towards ever more extreme forms of protest.

Fair play to Mark Allen in the snooker, going back out and completing a century break following the interruption.
    We have had instances of judges praising the activists and protesters, so is it any surprise some are taking a more lenient approach ?
    Oh indeed, and there was the case the other week of a judge in Scotland finding sufficient reason to avoid jailing a child rapist.

If these protestors are moving on from blocking roads, to disrupting televised sporting events, then at some point there’s likely to be a lynch mob of sports fans who take things into their own hands.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Most of the under 50's would vote for a return of FoM, and their views aren't changing with age, from what I've read of the polls, so it's just a question of how long you leave it until the Hard-Brexiter generation is even more clearly outnumbered. Maybe three or four years, at most.

Does anyone understand why younger voters support policies that will inevitably make it more difficult to afford to buy a property? Because the more people there are in the country the more expensive house prices will be, due to supply and demand.

It they are really paying attention, they will have noticed that the government hasn't cut net immigration, just changed the global mix.

Oppose European Freedom of Movement if you want, but please don't kid yourself that you are doing young people a favour.

Young people are perhaps also aware that their freedom of movement has been taken away by people who enjoyed it for themselves when they were younger.

I find the loss of freedom of movement one of the more interesting complaints of Brexit. How many young Brits actually used it to work round Europe as opposed to going on holiday (still fine)? Most Brits seem to have gap years in SE Asia, NZ, Australia etc.

In addition, academic exchange is still happening. I am hosting a Danish a student at the moment and we exoect to send around 15 of our final years overseas for a semester in the autumn, out of around 60 students.

Having stuff taken away from you, even if you don't intend to use it, can be pretty galling. I have lots of rights that I do not use that I would not like to lose. I can see why knowing that you used to be able to jump on a plane and look for a job for a year or forever or for some time in between in 30 European countries and that you no longer can might be quite provoking.

Maybe, but the point still stands. Almost none of them ever did. I assume you can also get work visas to work in other European countries too.

I’d much rather we hadn’t brexited, and kept both the SM and FoM, and hopefully in the (near) future we can align as close as possible to that state. But on the whole far more Europeans used the FoM to come to the U.K. than ever went the other way.
    Absolutely, although my students who go to most European locations report the natives all seem to speak excellent English, and are happy to do so.
    It is - nevertheless - significantly more intimidating to up sticks and move to a country where the paperwork you need to sign on a lease is in a different language, and you can't call the electricity company and understand what they say.

Not impossible, sure.

But much harder than when I moved to the US.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,545

Ghedebrav said:

ydoethur said:

Right on cue…
    Give it a rest
    That's the thing about puns here. You only have to suggest one for seven to turn up.

#NotMyKing

Quiche featuring spinach, broad beans, cheese and taragon will form the centrepiece of street parties across Britain

It is the dish “personally chosen” by the King and Queen to mark their Coronation, but anyone expecting a classic British recipe might be surprised.

The couple have opted for a French-inspired quiche featuring spinach, broad beans, cheese and tarragon.

It will form the centrepiece of street parties up and down the country, as friends and neighbours join forces to celebrate the Coronation on May 6.

While taking inspiration from across the Channel may raise an eyebrow with some, others saw it as another symbol of the close ties between Brits and their French counterparts.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/04/17/king-charles-coronation-quiche-recipe-revealed/

Sounds less inspiring than Sunak or Starmer.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,849
    Ghedebrav said:

ydoethur said:

Right on cue…
    Give it a rest
    He’s trying to bridge to baize of applause from the assembled crowds
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,634

Andy_JS said:

There's also the fact that irony of ironies, Brexit and the ensuing decline in the living standards of those of working age, has made Freedom of Movement more attractive as 20 years ago there was little financial incentive to emigrate from the UK, as had better or comparable living standards to all but a few very wealthy states. Now? Well for many getting out would be rational, but for those without high-level qualifications or jobs, options are now far more limited.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

Ghedebrav said:

ydoethur said:

Right on cue…
    Give it a rest
    That's the thing about puns here. You only have to suggest one for seven to turn up.
    There has to be a red pun, followed by a coloured pun, then another red pun, and so on.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,845
    edited April 2023

#NotMyKing

This is the sort of thing that would cause Al Murray's Pub Landlord to explode in rage. Why choose that fancy French muck when there's so much honest, straight-down-the-middle, no messing about, stout British fare on offer.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705

Ghedebrav said:

ydoethur said:

Right on cue…
    Give it a rest
    One hundred and forty seven, I think you meant there.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

1) Because like most people they deal with policies one at a time, which allows everyone to have beliefs which when put together are unicorns. (Like low taxes and excellent public services).

2) Because the complexity of the interlocking facts which give rise to chunks of reality, even little chunks, are mindblowingly incomprehensible.

3) Because people are bad at linking the individual and the collective effects of things.

4) Because they are young.
    5) Because many younger voters, even working-class ones, seem to look at Europe very differently. They will be thinking about the poor comparative state of the British economy compared to our northern European neighbours, and job opportunities abroad, as much as the impact at home. The Auf Wiedersehen Pet effect at another time of UK stagnation and under-performance, like the early '80s.
    Because the decades long failure of government with regard to house building is far more relevant than FoM.

Why is it that PBers manage to be completely blind to that ?
    It’s as though they are as blinkered as the young they criticise.
    The argument seems to be that we have been building 100k homes too few for the last 20 years. Which rather raises the question of where the f*** we would put another 2m houses.
    Scotland?
    Scotland would be in a better place if we could increase our population by a million or so. But they wouldn’t stay here.
    Sandpit said:

Ghedebrav said:

ydoethur said:

Right on cue…
    Give it a rest
    There has to be a red pun, followed by a coloured pun, then another red pun, and so on.
    Chalking up yet more awful puns.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

#NotMyKing

Interesting - seems to be vegetarian.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533

#NotMyKing

I was hoping for an excuse to make some fish finger sandwiches. And now I'm supposed to make a fecking *quiche*? Republic now!

#NotMyKing

This is the sort of thing that would cause Al Murray's Pub Landlord to explode in rage. Why choose that fancy French muck when there's so much honest, straight-down-the-middle, no messing about, stout British fare on offer.
    They could have had a good old fashioned British steak'n'kidney quiche.

Or Oi’l what precisely?

Sandpit said:

Ghedebrav said:

ydoethur said:

Right on cue…
    Give it a rest
    Chalking up yet more awful puns.
    It's just the tip of what we will achieve.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,198
    DavidL said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

The doesn’t add up headlines rather write themselves don’t they (and I am someone who agrees with him about the importance of maths).
    I’m a member of the Royal Statistical Society and believe greatly in the importance of maths. I’m not against possibly extending maths education in schools. But is that it? Are the foundations of Sunakism Brexit and this? And it’s not a good look when his own Education Secretary acknowledges there aren’t teachers to actually deliver on this policy. Meanwhile, ministers have failed to apologise for the latest misuse of statistics in their Commons statements.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,854

#NotMyKing

Sounds a bit dictatorial to me.....

Bu then the King has to follow the advice of his prime minister, doesn't he?

so it follows.....
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Most of the under 50's would vote for a return of FoM, and their views aren't changing with age, from what I've read of polls, so it's just a question of how long you leave it until the Hard-Brexiter generation is outnumbered.

That the younger generation doesn’t see the link between FoM and the unaffordabililty of housing, is one of the mysteries of modern politics.
    There’s not that strong a link - something in the shared rental space but not in house prices. The latter is more low interest rates and lack of alternatives
    It’s down to not building anywhere near enough properties. In all categories of housing.

It's more complex than that.

The big increase in house prices happened before widespread EU immigration. Between 1992 and 2004, the index of prices of to incomes rose from 4x to just under 8x. In the last 18 years, it's gone up to just a little more than 9x.

Why did prices soar between 1992 and 2004? Because interest rates collapsed, and housing became more theoretically affordable. People buy based on monthly payments, and the collapse of interest rates from 15% to 4%, combined with banks being willing to lend ever more, meant that there was enormous increase in demand for property.

And you then had a multiplier effect: people had made big gains on properties, and could therefore buy more expensive properties because of the big gains they'd made. (Meaning more deposits, meaning banks would lend them more.)

Now, should we build more properties?

Yes.

But building costs have gone through the roof. It's very hard to build new properties for the kind of money that enables developers to make decent profits. And interest rates rising makes it harder for developers too. Let's say they're now borrowing at 7%, and that it takes three years to build a property. That means they need to make a much bigger margin to even absorb the interest costs on borrowing to build.
    You also miss the fact that banks started lending at 3-4x joint incomes instead of 3+1 salary.

And then buy to let allowed the bottom of the market to go even higher as the tenants rent could be used as well.

DavidL said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

I’m a member of the Royal Statistical Society and believe greatly in the importance of maths. I’m not against possibly extending maths education in schools. But is that it? Are the foundations of Sunakism Brexit and this? And it’s not a good look when his own Education Secretary acknowledges there aren’t teachers to actually deliver on this policy. Meanwhile, ministers have failed to apologise for the latest misuse of statistics in their Commons statements.
    Again, we come back to, it's the wrong question. If our current maths programme is not satisfactory, what's wrong with it and why would two more years of the same magically cure it?

And why would we not instead invest properly in lifelong learning?

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Back in the day when I was in shared flats with a % of foreign students - they'd all *insist* on only speaking English. Even if I expressed an interest in their native language - no go. I used to envy them speaking two, maybe three different languages (seemingly fluently), while I had my stammering, stuttering French as my 2nd.

I still remember my first visit to France after doing two years of French at school. And realising that although I knew how to ask for a new jotter and how to open a window - I had no fecking idea how to ask where the nearest loo was.

Which was both an eye-opener and leg-crosser.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    @RobDotHutton
    If you, like Rishi Sunak, spent your life surrounded by Tory MPs, you too might conclude there was a crisis in British education.

Tickets were £44 as well, am down there in the morning for the 10am session

Just checked wear i am sat (Table 2 fortunately)

Best take my just use oil as sparingly as possible (i came on the Tram) T shirt
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,198

Or Oi’l what precisely?
    I think you’ll find it’s a protest about French language variation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langues_d'oïl

Sandpit said:

There’s always a trade off (the issue is the increase in the number of family units needed with the divorce rate - you need excess bedrooms that are not used every night). FoM was more about a slice of shared houses residents who were here for a limited period
    You have large numbers of properties which are HMO. At this point, someone will say - but there’s only x HMOs registered in the country.

Most landlords don’t - for one thing there mortgage issues. Often it breaks building covenants on new blocks of flats.

It has now got to the point where, on new built flats in London, it is quite standard to find each bedroom door fitted with a deadbolt lock. As built.
    Round here it's quite common to find a one bedroom flat with 8+ people living in it. Flat next door to me has 5 people (one 'bedroom' flat). Landlord was disbarred and now it's in his brothers name - though he still comes to collect the rent (in cash, naturally) every month.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    What we're seeing here is the ultra dickhead faction who split from Extinction Rebellion now going around being ultra dickheads.
    TBF referee on Table 2 did a good job keeping the other protester off that table
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

1) Because like most people they deal with policies one at a time, which allows everyone to have beliefs which when put together are unicorns. (Like low taxes and excellent public services).

2) Because the complexity of the interlocking facts which give rise to chunks of reality, even little chunks, are mindblowingly incomprehensible.

3) Because people are bad at linking the individual and the collective effects of things.

5) Because many younger voters, even working-class ones, seem to look at Europe very differently. They will be thinking about the poor comparative state of the British economy compared to our northern European neighbours, and job opportunities abroad, as much as the impact at home. The Auf Wiedersehen Pet effect at another time of UK stagnation and under-performance, like the early '80s.
    Because the decades long failure of government with regard to house building is far more relevant than FoM.

The argument seems to be that we have been building 100k homes too few for the last 20 years. Which rather raises the question of where the f*** we would put another 2m houses.
    Scotland?
    Scotland would be in a better place if we could increase our population by a million or so. But they wouldn’t stay here.
    Why not?

Construct a pitch based on Scandinavian style living - big houses, glass walls, epic views, roll neck sweaters….

Don’t deny the climate - use it as part of the sell. Cheaper housing, space…
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

What we're seeing here is the ultra dickhead faction who split from Extinction Rebellion now going around being ultra dickheads.

Good picture here.

https://twitter.com/nick_metcalfe/status/1648037640837427241?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ

Or Oi’l what precisely?
    I think you’ll find it’s a protest about French language variation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langues_d'oïl

Very good. Now oc off…

• FossFoss Posts: 894

Possibly a problem solvable by Ray Winstone and a sock?
    Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Simple. Leave him alone with the crowd of northerners he pissed off for 5 minutes, and switch the cameras off whilst they "have a word".

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Scotland?
    Why not?

Construct a pitch based on Scandinavian style living - big houses, glass walls, epic views, roll neck sweaters….

Aye'm Curious Plaid
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,677

#NotMyKing

The Queen's dish was inspired by India.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Absolutely, although my students who go to most European locatio
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

It is - nevertheless - significantly more intimidating to up sticks and move to a country where the paperwork you need to sign on a lease is in a different language, and you can't call the electricity company and understand what they say.

Not impossible, sure.

But much harder than when I moved to the US.
    I'm sure that's true, although another feature is the 'otherness' of other countries. When I went to work in NZ I found it hard to find a furnished flat to rent. It just wasn't a thing. All Kiwis expected to rent empty places and move their own stuff. Not great when you plan on one year only in a country.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,545
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

Again, we come back to, it's the wrong question. If our current maths programme is not satisfactory, what's wrong with it and why would two more years of the same magically cure it?

Besides, satisfactory for who?

The people who don't do maths at age 16-18 aren't those chasing numerate careers, they're doing A Level Maths already (though it might be worth making sure everyone has access to Further Maths). It's not those struggling with basics, because resits are compulsory (though it may be worth thinking about a different kind of numeracy course that isn't GCSE maths.)

The people who currently drop maths at 16 have a GCSE in the subject and have decided their interests lie elsewhere. That's probably the best way to treat maths, quitting while you are ahead, because otherwise it will win in the end. (For me, 1st year physical sciences... It just got to mathsy and I stopped believing.)

There are many problems in education, but that subject with that cohort aren't in the top ten priorities to fix.

felix said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Reality check. The vast majority of younger voters think of Europe as a beach, a bar and getting their rocks off. They really don't think about the 'economy' or 'culture'. They have no clue as to either the real Erasmus or the other one.

How do you know? My kids and their friends seem to see it as something on their doorstep that looks very like the UK and where everyone their age speaks English. There has been a huge erosion of difference over the last 30 years. Club 18-30 no longer exists.

Have you seen what happens on Sunny Beach?

Thomas Cook went into liquidation, and then there was Covid, but such holidays still go on.

#NotMyKing

Do we have to fit in a token surrender as well and, if so, who to?
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    edited April 2023
    Is anyone else a little underwhelmed about the 4% hit to GDP from Brexit? UK population growth has halved from 0.8% to 0.4% per year. So what is the per capita impact likely to be if the UK can be assumed to have a smaller population than if we'd remained in the EU? And might there be some positive distributional effects if there is less of a supply of cheap labour?

I'm not sure. These twats all know each other and their protests, oil/ animals/ palestine/ capitalism, are entirely fungible.

It's Judean People's Front stuff.

Is anyone else a little underwhelmed about the 4% hit to GDP from Brexit? UK population growth has halved from 0.8% to 0.4% per year. So what is the per capita impact likely to be if the UK can be assumed to have a smaller population than if we'd remained in the EU? And might there be some positive distributional effects if there is less of a supply of cheap labour?

I wouldn't worry about it, it will prove to be complete crap anyway.
    Remember that Dominion Voting Systems is majority-owned by a private-equity firm, which *might* just be more interested in a large, confidential cash settlement than a long, drawn-out defamation suit and appeals that would further illuminate Fox's failings
    https://twitter.com/BGrueskin/status/1648007223879016493
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,070
    edited April 2023
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

Leon said:

It is worth asking 'What is the situation we are trying to resolve'. The assumption that 'maths for all' is the answer to a question that has not been articulated is weird.

Until you answer the question the answer might equally be a more widely dispersed knowledge of Herodotus, a greater capacity to interpret the obscurer works of Browning or the ability to analyse the score of Der Rosenkavalier. Actually....come to think of it

Taz said:

Good picture here.

https://twitter.com/nick_metcalfe/status/1648037640837427241?s=61&t=s0ae0IFncdLS1Dc7J0P_TQ
    Twitter is quite left-wing, right?

I've read the comments underneath JSO's propaganda piece and they are excoriating.

Zero sympathy it seems.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    Nigelb said:

Remember that Dominion Voting Systems is majority-owned by a private-equity firm, which *might* just be more interested in a large, confidential cash settlement than a long, drawn-out defamation suit and appeals that would further illuminate Fox's failings

One factor I haven’t seen mentioned.

Dominion Voting Systems has lots of contracts for voting systems. In many states the Republicans have worked hard to get their people elected to run elections - or appointed.

Being the company that publicly crippled Fox News, vs took a big settlement…. In the eyes of such people?
    Fuss about nowt at Crucible

Used to watch Alex Higgins play there regularly

Was a lot more powder on table than that in them days!!
    Interesting move.

Rough day for old school banks in their effort to win savings deposits. $AAPL announces Apple Card savings account with 4.15% annual percentage yield and no minimum. For comparison Citi Savings pays 0.10% and Wells Fargo 0.15%.
    https://twitter.com/munster_gene/status/1647977865613393922
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,458

#NotMyKing

Who gives a crap? Will anyone really be eating quiche at parties? Suspect anyone with any sense will use the long weekend to get blasted with their mates, or go on holiday.

Fuss about nowt at Crucible

Used to watch Alex Higgins play there regularly

Was a lot more powder on table than that in them days!!

I suppose the (small) plus point is crazy folk run in, throw unknown substance around and we reach for the hoover rather than the hazmat suit.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503

I get this... I've factored in SNP equalising voteshare in Scotland at 34% a piece, and the Tories roughly holding their share there due to SNP collapse.

UK-wide: an increase in the Greens to 5.5%, LDs uptick to 14%, Reform a non-event to 2.5%, and Labour on 40% with Tories on 37%.

Result:

Labour 317
    Cons 273
    LD 19
    SNP 19
    Greens 1
    Plaid 3
    Others 18

Probably Labour minority with LD S&C. Seems plausible.

What polling is this based on?
    DavidL said:

I wouldn't worry about it, it will prove to be complete crap anyway.
    Exactly: we'll only know on a twenty-five year view, and there are going to be lots of things pushing both negatively and positively in that time.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    edited April 2023

#NotMyKing

Not the centrepiece of the Buck House slap up feed I imagine.

#letthemeatquiche
    #notinScotlandcostoomuchvegandwedontgiveafeckaboutthemroyalsanyway
    Table 1 match to resume on Table 2 after Table 2 match finishes

They will be burning the Midnight Oil tonight at the Crucible
    Nigelb said:

Indeed:

They want (a) to take a settlement, and (b) to keep being chosen by States around the US for elections. So, I guess there will be a relatively small settlement, an apology from Fox, and then there will be lots of stories about how great Dominion voting technology is.

And in return, Fox avoids some serious negative publicity.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813

Table 1 match to resume on Table 2 after Table 2 match finishes

They will be burning the Midnight Oil tonight at the Crucible

Not true, poor Milkins and Perry are going to end up completing their match at 9:30 on Thursday morning.
    Nigelb said:

Interesting move.

Rough day for old school banks in their effort to win savings deposits. $AAPL announces Apple Card savings account with 4.15% annual percentage yield and no minimum. For comparison Citi Savings pays 0.10% and Wells Fargo 0.15%.

Errr:

Given Apple has enormous cash balances and the credit card push was a great way to deal with that (i.e., lend out the cash balances and earn a better return than Treasuries), it's not clear why they would want to bring in more.
    edited April 2023

x

Pot calling the green black.
    Rishi's Maths Quiz

Q1 If SKS has 10 pledges and 5 Missions how many policies will he be implementing
    a) 0
    b) Nil
    C) Square route of FA
    Ralph Yarl: Black teen shot at doorstep after ringing wrong doorbell

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65299127
    Protests erupted in Kansas City, Missouri, over the weekend after a homeowner shot a black teenager twice who rang their doorbell by mistake.
    Ralph Yarl, 16, was sent by his parents to pick up his brothers from a friend's house on 13 April, but went to the wrong address.
    The suspect shot Mr Yarl through his door.
    Police have released the shooter from custody but not identified them.
    Mr Yarl was released from hospital on Sunday and is recovering at home with his family, his father Paul Yarl told the Kansas City Star.

… Investigators are looking into whether or not the suspect is protected by the state's Stand-Your-Ground laws, which grant people permission to use deadly force if they feel seriously in danger.

#NotMyKing

Not the centrepiece of the Buck House slap up feed I imagine.

#letthemeatquiche
    #notinScotlandcostoomuchvegandwedontgiveafeckaboutthemroyalsanyway
    Let the meat quiche what?
    Protest has worked. Lots of people talking about it. Just Stop Oil publicity team very happy with their night’s work.

x

When I come round to your house with the media to take a massive slash on your dinner table in the middle of a socialist supper, and then strip off to reveal a t-shirt saying Just Vote Tory, then yes.

Until then - no, not really.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,573

Protest has worked. Lots of people talking about it. Just Stop Oil publicity team very happy with their night’s work.

Just talking about what a bunch of annoying loons they are.
    Nigelb said:

Protests erupted in Kansas City, Missouri, over the weekend after a homeowner shot a black teenager twice who rang their doorbell by mistake.
    Ralph Yarl, 16, was sent by his parents to pick up his brothers from a friend's house on 13 April, but went to the wrong address.
    Mr Yarl was released from hospital on Sunday and is recovering at home with his family, his father Paul Yarl told the Kansas City Star.

… Investigators are looking into whether or not the suspect is protected by the state's Stand-Your-Ground laws, which grant people permission to use deadly force if they feel seriously in danger.

If only Oscar Pistorias's girlfriend had been black, eh?

I get this... I've factored in SNP equalising voteshare in Scotland at 34% a piece, and the Tories roughly holding their share there due to SNP collapse.

UK-wide: an increase in the Greens to 5.5%, LDs uptick to 14%, Reform a non-event to 2.5%, and Labour on 40% with Tories on 37%.

Result:

Labour 317
    Cons 273
    LD 19
    SNP 19
    Greens 1
    Plaid 3
    Others 18

Probably Labour minority with LD S&C. Seems plausible.

What polling is this based on?
    It isn't. It's just one prediction for what could plausibly happen in 18 months time.

Rishi's Maths Quiz

Q1 If SKS has 10 pledges and 5 Missions how many policies will he be implementing
    a) 0
    b) Nil
    C) Square route of FA

Is it

d) The sum of the above

?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

??
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Interesting move.

Errr:

Given Apple has enormous cash balances and the credit card push was a great way to deal with that (i.e., lend out the cash balances and earn a better return than Treasuries), it's not clear why they would want to bring in more.
    They want to become a major force in financial services ?

There’s some sort of deal with Goldman to facilitate this.
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-launches-savings-account-with-4-15-interest-281c8ac

Gets the message out there. Job done.

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Scotland?
    Why not?

Its ample water supplies should be a key selling point in future years.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    Taz said:
    He didn't go tentative with it, gotta respect that.

Rishi's Maths Quiz

a) 0
    b) Nil
    C) Square route of FA

Is it

d) The sum of the above

?
    See Me

Not really. Everyone's talking about what wankshafts they are.

And, now, I actually want to use more oil.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

??
    He shot her through the bathroom door.
    Eat animals

Use more oil

Extend capitalism

Abolish Palestine
    DavidL said:

#NotMyKing

Do we have to fit in a token surrender as well and, if so, who to?
    Singapore was to the Japs.
    Yorktown was to the Yanks and French.
    Nigelb said:

I will never get over the randomness of the internet - one of the first comments I see udner that one is from the author Guy Gavriel Kay.

On Dominion, sure, why not a settlement? I mean, their business has probably been hit hard by the lies and the whole point has been to extract something from Fox. They're not proving much more on the lie front, the arguments appear to be more technical about who is responsible.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813

Gets the message out there. Job done.
    Rather depends whether or not you subscribe to the "no publicity is bad publicity" school of thought. I'm not so sure that it does.

x

When I come round to your house with the media to take a massive slash on your dinner table in the middle of a socialist supper, and then strip off to reveal a t-shirt saying Just Vote Tory, then yes.

Until then - no, not really.
    It was a pun. Chill🧊

#NotMyKing

Who gives a crap? Will anyone really be eating quiche at parties? Suspect anyone with any sense will use the long weekend to get blasted with their mates, or go on holiday.
    I'm a monarchist, and not one moaning about the fact there is a coronoation at all, but I really think the idea of lots of street parties is going to be shown to be a bit of a fantasy.

Not really. Everyone's talking about what wankshafts they are.

And, now, I actually want to use more oil.
    Do you now!

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    kle4 said:

#NotMyKing

I'm a monarchist, and not one moaning about the fact there is a coronoation at all, but I really think the idea of lots of street parties is going to be shown to be a bit of a fantasy.
    Some drinks and cakes in the pavilion, field games then fireworks is what we have on our sports field on the Saturday. Sleep it off on the Sunday.
    kle4 said:

#NotMyKing

Don't we always get this a month or two out from jubilees and royal weddings?

They always turn out to be rather well-attended.

Sure, a few people go away for a long weekend. Far more come together with their local communities and celebrate.

Eat animals

Use more oil

Extend capitalism

Abolish Palestine

Always knew you were an Ultra dickhead :lol:
    There will always be grifters

Having emerged in the wake of Russia’s full-scale invasion, Glory to Ukraine has since been the largest charity helping Ukraine in Estonia. However, their advisory board announced an internal audit suspecting the misuse of funds by two Ukrainian partners.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1648042105283964939?cxt=HHwWlsCzxYTkgt8tAAAA
This discussion has been closed.