Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

From Mike Smithson – a personal note – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,458
    kle4 said:

#NotMyKing

The King and Queen choose French-inspired dish for Coronation

Quiche featuring spinach, broad beans, cheese and taragon will form the centrepiece of street parties across Britain

It is the dish “personally chosen” by the King and Queen to mark their Coronation, but anyone expecting a classic British recipe might be surprised.

The couple have opted for a French-inspired quiche featuring spinach, broad beans, cheese and tarragon.

It will form the centrepiece of street parties up and down the country, as friends and neighbours join forces to celebrate the Coronation on May 6.

While taking inspiration from across the Channel may raise an eyebrow with some, others saw it as another symbol of the close ties between Brits and their French counterparts.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/04/17/king-charles-coronation-quiche-recipe-revealed/

Who gives a crap? Will anyone really be eating quiche at parties? Suspect anyone with any sense will use the long weekend to get blasted with their mates, or go on holiday.
    I'm a monarchist, and not one moaning about the fact there is a coronoation at all, but I really think the idea of lots of street parties is going to be shown to be a bit of a fantasy.
    They just look really shit. I went to one once, the reason for which is lost in the mists of time. It was crap. Cold tea, warm
    lager and lots of packaging.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    edited April 2023
    carnforth said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Ralph Yarl: Black teen shot at doorstep after ringing wrong doorbell

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65299127
    Protests erupted in Kansas City, Missouri, over the weekend after a homeowner shot a black teenager twice who rang their doorbell by mistake.
    Ralph Yarl, 16, was sent by his parents to pick up his brothers from a friend's house on 13 April, but went to the wrong address.
    The suspect shot Mr Yarl through his door.
    Police have released the shooter from custody but not identified them.
    Mr Yarl was released from hospital on Sunday and is recovering at home with his family, his father Paul Yarl told the Kansas City Star.

… Investigators are looking into whether or not the suspect is protected by the state's Stand-Your-Ground laws, which grant people permission to use deadly force if they feel seriously in danger.

If only Oscar Pistorias's girlfriend had been black, eh?
    ??
    He shot her through the bathroom door.
    Yes, I appreciate that. I didn't get RCS's point re: if Pistorius' girlfriend had been black.

But I presume he's scathingly pointing out that Pistorius would have had a chance of getting off (in Missouri at least) had Reeva Steenkamp been black.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,759
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Remember that Dominion Voting Systems is majority-owned by a private-equity firm, which *might* just be more interested in a large, confidential cash settlement than a long, drawn-out defamation suit and appeals that would further illuminate Fox's failings
    https://twitter.com/BGrueskin/status/1648007223879016493

I will never get over the randomness of the internet - one of the first comments I see udner that one is from the author Guy Gavriel Kay.

On Dominion, sure, why not a settlement? I mean, their business has probably been hit hard by the lies and the whole point has been to extract something from Fox. They're not proving much more on the lie front, the arguments appear to be more technical about who is responsible.
    I’m not sure.
    A trial would garner enormous publicity, so they might benefit in those terms. Fox would definitely suffer.

I think it likely comes down to how stingy the Murdochs are about paying for their stupidity. A reasonably generous offer would settle it.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

kle4 said:

#NotMyKing

Quiche featuring spinach, broad beans, cheese and taragon will form the centrepiece of street parties across Britain

It is the dish “personally chosen” by the King and Queen to mark their Coronation, but anyone expecting a classic British recipe might be surprised.

The couple have opted for a French-inspired quiche featuring spinach, broad beans, cheese and tarragon.

It will form the centrepiece of street parties up and down the country, as friends and neighbours join forces to celebrate the Coronation on May 6.

While taking inspiration from across the Channel may raise an eyebrow with some, others saw it as another symbol of the close ties between Brits and their French counterparts.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/04/17/king-charles-coronation-quiche-recipe-revealed/

Who gives a crap? Will anyone really be eating quiche at parties? Suspect anyone with any sense will use the long weekend to get blasted with their mates, or go on holiday.
    I'm a monarchist, and not one moaning about the fact there is a coronoation at all, but I really think the idea of lots of street parties is going to be shown to be a bit of a fantasy.
    They just look really shit. I went to one once, the reason for which is lost in the mists of time. It was crap. Cold tea, warm
    Village fetes make more sense. Not that they are great, but feel a bit more natural an environment for a community gathering.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

Protest has worked. Lots of people talking about it. Just Stop Oil publicity team very happy with their night’s work.

Not really. Everyone's talking about what wankshafts they are.

And, now, I actually want to use more oil.
    Vaseline's run out?
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,139

#NotMyKing

Interesting - seems to be vegetarian.
    Duh! Which bit doesn't seem veggie?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    Sometimes Tom Harwood has a point

I wish Elon Musk would stick to rockets and cars instead of Twitter.

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1647950359803953160?cxt=HHwWkIC8ud-H2d4tAAAA
    edited April 2023
    Strong argument in favour of voting Labour.
    I wasn’t intending to, but now I’m wavering.

Tory MP @NickGibbUK says that Labour would crash the economy if they got into power...
    https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1648047843624599552
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

#NotMyKing

Village fetes make more sense. Not that they are great, but feel a bit more natural an environment for a community gathering.
    Yep. Quite like a village fete. Proper beer tent ideally and some form of target game.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539

#NotMyKing

This is the sort of thing that would cause Al Murray's Pub Landlord to explode in rage. Why choose that fancy French muck when there's so much honest, straight-down-the-middle, no messing about, stout British fare on offer.
    The Norman Yolk?

I imagine Charles would have learned during his time at Aberystwyth that he wasn't really British at all but French. Apparently all the menus at Buckingham Palace are in French, as they should be.
  • FossFoss Posts: 894

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

#NotMyKing

Yep. Quite like a village fete. Proper beer tent ideally and some form of target game.
    It's not a proper fete without a Bat the Rat.
    felix said:

#NotMyKing

Lard in the pastry ?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Nigelb said:

Tory MP @NickGibbUK says that Labour would crash the economy if they got into power...

Nick was on fire on R4 PM this evening explaining how public services have significantly improved since 2010. He was quite convincing. Well he'd convinced himself anyway.
    Any news on the Stone of Destiny? Would be a jolly jape indeed if the Rebellious Scots / Just Stop Oil refused to return it…

Nigelb said:

Nick was on fire on R4 PM this evening…
    That got @ydoethur quite excited for a moment.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,349

kle4 said:

#NotMyKing

Don't we always get this a month or two out from jubilees and royal weddings?

They always turn out to be rather well-attended.

Sure, a few people go away for a long weekend. Far more come together with their local communities and celebrate.
    I agree. Any excuse for a party.

We're having a big party in the street outside my flat. The local pub is providing drink and food but you can bring your own if you want. There'll be music and dancing by royalists and republicans. We know how to enjoy ourselves.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    edited April 2023

DavidL said:

#NotMyKing

Do we have to fit in a token surrender as well and, if so, who to?
    Singapore was to the Japs.
    Yorktown was to the Yanks and French.
    Kut was to the Turks
    Saratoga to the Yanks too
    Foss said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

#NotMyKing

Was that the one with the stuffed sock and the vertical tube? Never mastered it.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,870
    Ghedebrav said:

Weird how R&W now have the Labour lead as being smaller than Opinium do. Who would have thought that would happen?

The R&W Reform number is lower - and probably a lot more realistic.

It'll depend how much profile RefUK get in the election. They need to clearly position themselves as continuity UKIP/Brexit. If they get the Farage endorsement, they'll poll up to 10%; if they're relying on Lozzo and Cosplay Calvin their ceiling is more 4-5%.
    I don't think RefUK are going to get 10%, or anywhere near it.
    With the right circumstances, a Farage endorsement and perhaps some sort of narrative that might stick (Brexit betrayal or some such rubbish) they might get 6%. It'll get them no seats, but likely deny the Conservatives a few seats that Labour or the LD will pick up instead.

Or they have a rubbish night, and get 3% and achieve nothing.

Who are Lozzo and Cosplay Calvin by the way? The only people I know in RefUK are Tice and Widdecombe.

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

#NotMyKing

Well, we're having a bring and share street party in our village - and I suspect it will be greatly enjoyed by those who attend (which I'd estimate will be about 1/3rd of the residents).
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,318

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

#NotMyKing

Like venison?
  • FossFoss Posts: 894

Foss said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

#NotMyKing

Was that the one with the stuffed sock and the vertical tube? Never mastered it.
    Pretty much.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003

kle4 said:

#NotMyKing

Sure, a few people go away for a long weekend. Far more come together with their local communities and celebrate.
    We'e having teas and picnics on the green and in the village hall which should be well attended. Looks like quiche supplies need to be prepared
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,730

Ghedebrav said:

Weird how R&W now have the Labour lead as being smaller than Opinium do. Who would have thought that would happen?

The R&W Reform number is lower - and probably a lot more realistic.

It'll depend how much profile RefUK get in the election. They need to clearly position themselves as continuity UKIP/Brexit. If they get the Farage endorsement, they'll poll up to 10%; if they're relying on Lozzo and Cosplay Calvin their ceiling is more 4-5%.
    I don't think RefUK are going to get 10%, or anywhere near it.
    With the right circumstances, a Farage endorsement and perhaps some sort of narrative that might stick (Brexit betrayal or some such rubbish) they might get 6%. It'll get them no seats, but likely deny the Conservatives a few seats that Labour or the LD will pick up instead.

Or they have a rubbish night, and get 3% and achieve nothing.

Who are Lozzo and Cosplay Calvin by the way? The only people I know in RefUK are Tice and Widdecombe.
    Refuk might get 3% - in those few seats where they stand.

Not easy to see whose ego it is Refuk is stroking.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

#NotMyKing

We'e having teas and picnics on the green and in the village hall which should be well attended. Looks like quiche supplies need to be prepared
    Red, white and blue bunting too?
    Rumour is that the UK agreed to choose quiche for the coronation, as part of Sunak's deal with Macron.

Next year the English Channel is going to be officially re-designated back to its proper name: La Manche.

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

#NotMyKing

Red, white and blue bunting too?
    It's Essex, not East Belfast :lol:
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    The ban on Ukrainian grain doesn't bode well for Ukraine's chances of joining the EU. I've always thought agriculture would be a major stepping stone since it s such a core part of the EU budget.

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

#NotMyKing

Well, we're having a bring and share street party in our village - and I suspect it will be greatly enjoyed by those who attend (which I'd estimate will be about 1/3rd of the residents).
    I’m sure it’s possible for them to be decent if you can refrigerate the booze properly and avoid packaging waste. TBF homemade quiche would solve one of those critical flaws.

Any news on the Stone of Destiny? Would be a jolly jape indeed if the Rebellious Scots / Just Stop Oil refused to return it…

Isn't that the new Indiana Jones movie?
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    edited April 2023
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

#NotMyKing

Street parties don’t feel much fun when we’ve all moved well away from the model of having to socialise with your neighbours and tell them all your business.*

Much prefer a fete or something, you can turn up and leave on your own terms. Get chatting to people, sample some food, etc, but don’t feel obliged to spend all afternoon sat drinking warm lager and eating dodgy quiche from three doors down.

*not that I’m an antisocial bastard, but I’m very much in the “keep an eye on things while you’re on holiday and take turns in taking the bins out” camp rather than the “they are proximate to me I must take it upon myself to become their best friend” camp.
    Foss said:

Foss said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

#NotMyKing

Pretty much.
    Everyone seems to vastly underestimate the velocity of the rat. Rare is the contestant that bats before the rodent emerges.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    Loving all the snooker puns on this thread.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688

The ban on Ukrainian grain doesn't bode well for Ukraine's chances of joining the EU. I've always thought agriculture would be a major stepping stone since it s such a core part of the EU budget.

Do you mean stumbling block?
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    Best wishes OGH
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Most of the under 50's would vote for a return of FoM, and their views aren't changing with age, from what I've read of the polls, so it's just a question of how long you leave it until the Hard-Brexiter generation is even more clearly outnumbered. Maybe three or four years, at most.

Does anyone understand why younger voters support policies that will inevitably make it more difficult to afford to buy a property? Because the more people there are in the country the more expensive house prices will be, due to supply and demand.
    Presumably they have concluded that bigger issues are:

a) the refusal to build enough new homes over the last couple of decades and

b) the reluctance of older people to downsize.

It they are really paying attention, they will have noticed that the government hasn't cut net immigration, just changed the global mix.

Oppose European Freedom of Movement if you want, but please don't kid yourself that you are doing young people a favour.

Young people are perhaps also aware that their freedom of movement has been taken away by people who enjoyed it for themselves when they were younger.

I find the loss of freedom of movement one of the more interesting complaints of Brexit. How many young Brits actually used it to work round Europe as opposed to going on holiday (still fine)? Most Brits seem to have gap years in SE Asia, NZ, Australia etc.

In addition, academic exchange is still happening. I am hosting a Danish a student at the moment and we exoect to send around 15 of our final years overseas for a semester in the autumn, out of around 60 students.

Having stuff taken away from you, even if you don't intend to use it, can be pretty galling. I have lots of rights that I do not use that I would not like to lose. I can see why knowing that you used to be able to jump on a plane and look for a job for a year or forever or for some time in between in 30 European countries and that you no longer can might be quite provoking.

Maybe, but the point still stands. Almost none of them ever did. I assume you can also get work visas to work in other European countries too.

I’d much rather we hadn’t brexited, and kept both the SM and FoM, and hopefully in the (near) future we can align as close as possible to that state. But on the whole far more Europeans used the FoM to come to the U.K. than ever went the other way.
    It's largely language: they all speak English, and we don't speak [x].
    Absolutely, although my students who go to most European locations report the natives all seem to speak excellent English, and are happy to do so.
    It is - nevertheless - significantly more intimidating to up sticks and move to a country where the paperwork you need to sign on a lease is in a different language, and you can't call the electricity company and understand what they say.

Not impossible, sure.

But much harder than when I moved to the US.
    Thailand's the place, mate

0% tax. Literally, 0%. They don't care what you earn abroad. Just have private health insurance (which you would have anyway). You can rent a glam apartment in lower Sukhumvit for $1500 a month, and it will have gym and pool and be uber luxe

Come and go as you please, in essence - because they want the money you spend and the business you might generate

Countries are REALLY competing for the nomads. This is going to be a massive thing in years to come

This thread is FOUL!

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    Spinach quiche sounds nice. I must try it some time.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,849
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Interesting move.

Rough day for old school banks in their effort to win savings deposits. $AAPL announces Apple Card savings account with 4.15% annual percentage yield and no minimum. For comparison Citi Savings pays 0.10% and Wells Fargo 0.15%.
    https://twitter.com/munster_gene/status/1647977865613393922

Errr:

Given Apple has enormous cash balances and the credit card push was a great way to deal with that (i.e., lend out the cash balances and earn a better return than Treasuries), it's not clear why they would want to bring in more.
    Origination of deposits for Goldman? Use the Apple brand and then pass on to GS for a fixed spread of - say 50bps - with a commitment on the time they will hold at GS? Ie manage risk of liquidity in deposits by ability - if needed - to draw on Apple’s cash balance to finance a run
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,953

Isn't that the new Indiana Jones movie?
    IIRC part of the agreement for returning it was that it would always be sent to the Abbey for coronations.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,849

carnforth said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Ralph Yarl: Black teen shot at doorstep after ringing wrong doorbell

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65299127
    Protests erupted in Kansas City, Missouri, over the weekend after a homeowner shot a black teenager twice who rang their doorbell by mistake.
    Ralph Yarl, 16, was sent by his parents to pick up his brothers from a friend's house on 13 April, but went to the wrong address.
    The suspect shot Mr Yarl through his door.
    Police have released the shooter from custody but not identified them.
    Mr Yarl was released from hospital on Sunday and is recovering at home with his family, his father Paul Yarl told the Kansas City Star.

… Investigators are looking into whether or not the suspect is protected by the state's Stand-Your-Ground laws, which grant people permission to use deadly force if they feel seriously in danger.

If only Oscar Pistorias's girlfriend had been black, eh?
    ??
    He shot her through the bathroom door.
    Yes, I appreciate that. I didn't get RCS's point re: if Pistorius' girlfriend had been black.

But I presume he's scathingly pointing out that Pistorius would have had a chance of getting off (in Missouri at least) had Reeva Steenkamp been black.
    That would be my assumption too
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    Nigelb said:

felix said:

#NotMyKing

Lard in the pastry ?
    And Rennet in the cheese possibly.
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,292
    Best wishes to you and the family Mike.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Most of the under 50's would vote for a return of FoM, and their views aren't changing with age, from what I've read of the polls, so it's just a question of how long you leave it until the Hard-Brexiter generation is even more clearly outnumbered. Maybe three or four years, at most.

Does anyone understand why younger voters support policies that will inevitably make it more difficult to afford to buy a property? Because the more people there are in the country the more expensive house prices will be, due to supply and demand.
    Presumably they have concluded that bigger issues are:

a) the refusal to build enough new homes over the last couple of decades and

b) the reluctance of older people to downsize.

It they are really paying attention, they will have noticed that the government hasn't cut net immigration, just changed the global mix.

Oppose European Freedom of Movement if you want, but please don't kid yourself that you are doing young people a favour.

Young people are perhaps also aware that their freedom of movement has been taken away by people who enjoyed it for themselves when they were younger.

I find the loss of freedom of movement one of the more interesting complaints of Brexit. How many young Brits actually used it to work round Europe as opposed to going on holiday (still fine)? Most Brits seem to have gap years in SE Asia, NZ, Australia etc.

In addition, academic exchange is still happening. I am hosting a Danish a student at the moment and we exoect to send around 15 of our final years overseas for a semester in the autumn, out of around 60 students.

Having stuff taken away from you, even if you don't intend to use it, can be pretty galling. I have lots of rights that I do not use that I would not like to lose. I can see why knowing that you used to be able to jump on a plane and look for a job for a year or forever or for some time in between in 30 European countries and that you no longer can might be quite provoking.

Maybe, but the point still stands. Almost none of them ever did. I assume you can also get work visas to work in other European countries too.

I’d much rather we hadn’t brexited, and kept both the SM and FoM, and hopefully in the (near) future we can align as close as possible to that state. But on the whole far more Europeans used the FoM to come to the U.K. than ever went the other way.
    It's largely language: they all speak English, and we don't speak [x].
    Absolutely, although my students who go to most European locations report the natives all seem to speak excellent English, and are happy to do so.
    It is - nevertheless - significantly more intimidating to up sticks and move to a country where the paperwork you need to sign on a lease is in a different language, and you can't call the electricity company and understand what they say.

Not impossible, sure.

But much harder than when I moved to the US.
    Thailand's the place, mate

0% tax. Literally, 0%. They don't care what you earn abroad. Just have private health insurance (which you would have anyway). You can rent a glam apartment in lower Sukhumvit for $1500 a month, and it will have gym and pool and be uber luxe

Come and go as you please, in essence - because they want the money you spend and the business you might generate

Countries are REALLY competing for the nomads. This is going to be a massive thing in years to come

Not convinced it works for families with kids. Kids need good education and roots.
This discussion has been closed.