Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This looks massive – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

It was reported earlier that Mrs Murrell left the family home shortly before the raid this morning.

Question: does she, as a former First Minster, enjoy police security in the same way that a former Prime Minister of the UK would enjoy?

Someone would have given her the nod for certain , doubt she has any secuity though.
    It was a genuine question. UK PMs, Foreign Secretaries, and Home Secretaries, are destined for life to have polis follow them around. John Major still has a security detail. It’s been stood down somewhat since the IRA were active, but it’s very much still there.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,996

Heathener said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

Saint Jacinda seems to have disappeared up her own arsehole in her closing address.

Shame we didn't have Jarvis Cocker to walk on stage and waft the smell away this time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-65186368

What a characteristically bitter male boomer post.

She's speaking from an alien perspective to you because she's a woman in leadership who decided to show another way of being.

Thank god for Jacinda.
    What a characteristically bitter sexist trolling post.
    Not really.

A lot of ageing blokes on here parrot out tired old tropes, mainly because they are bewildered by alternative perspectives which may broaden their horizons aka. they are threatened by them.

Jacinda showed a different way of being. It's alien to right wing old men.

I'm not in fact saying she was perfect, far from it. But she brought a different perspective and that's a very good thing.

As are women in leadership generally.

The world would be a far better, and far safer, place if all men were banned from leadership for a very long time.

Preferably eternity.

Men are responsible for virtually all the violence, war, and hatred in this world.

xx
    A post on sexism that is, well, very sexist.

I am all in favour of greater diversity in general, and particularly more female political leaders, but the idea there should be a sisterhood hegemony and this would be utopian is just ludicrous.

The main reason there have been less evil women leaders in history is because there have been less women leaders. Women are not without vice and therefore by extension less evil than men.

It might be worth you looking up Winnie Mandela as an example and contrast her with her obviously male ex-spouse.
    Here’s a book that discusses this topic… https://amzn.to/439RxPK By a close relative of mine!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

It was reported earlier that Mrs Murrell left the family home shortly before the raid this morning.

Question: does she, as a former First Minster, enjoy police security in the same way that a former Prime Minister of the UK would enjoy?

Someone would have given her the nod for certain , doubt she has any secuity though.
    It was a genuine question. UK PMs, Foreign Secretaries, and Home Secretaries, are destined for life to have polis follow them around. John Major still has a security detail. It’s been stood down somewhat since the IRA were active, but it’s very much still there.
    That detail is there to protect from outside threats though - not give the heads up on investigations or tip-offs by plod itself. At least it damn well shouldn't.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

In the interests of Not Getting Banned, it would be helpful if the mods - @TSE, OGH, @rcs1000 could give us some guidance as to what we are allowed to say, and what is disallowed, in the ongoing "external input" into the SNP's transparency review

Seriously. Don't want to get the site into trouble. Or get banned. It's too interesting

Just use your common sen...

Ah, yes, it might be helpful.
    Exactly. I am the excitable type, devoid of comnon sense, and if I have a glass of lunchtime sherry I am liable to mention Judy REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED that castle and the pony who went REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED tartan thong
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    The home secretary, Suella Braverman, will face her Tory colleague Flick Drummond at a selection meeting on Wednesday night, as she aims to secure a seat for the next election.

Braverman’s current seat of Fareham is being wound up and included in a new constituency of Fareham and Waterlooville.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

The role of SecGen of NATO involves lots and lots of diplomacy. Attempted dynamiting of an important agreement, without think through the consequences, in a a panic, is relevant.

Relevant but very minor (though it wasn't 'attempted dynamiting'). Your first sentence is the whole point, though. After initial wobbles, such as that stupid misstep, she's actually been doing pretty well on the diplomacy, cajoling and getting consensus on some tricky issues, and I think that will have been noticed.
    hmmm

she hasnt got Merkel to strong arm her in

there are better candidates around
    Who ?
    Nigelb said:

The role of SecGen of NATO involves lots and lots of diplomacy. Attempted dynamiting of an important agreement, without think through the consequences, in a a panic, is relevant.

Relevant but very minor (though it wasn't 'attempted dynamiting'). Your first sentence is the whole point, though. After initial wobbles, such as that stupid misstep, she's actually been doing pretty well on the diplomacy, cajoling and getting consensus on some tricky issues, and I think that will have been noticed.
    hmmm

Who ?
    Ben Wallace for a start. Donald Tusk if he's interested.
    The Polish government hate Tusk; zero chance.
    And it's not going to be a Brit.
    Why not a Brit?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,601
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

hmmm

Who ?
    Nigelb said:

hmmm

Who ?
    I thought Tusk wanted to win the next Polish election?

I think Wallace has a good chance. He seems to have forged particularly good relationships with the Nordics, Baltics and Eastern Europe. Sure, the French are pissed off because of AUKUS, but I think most of Europe wants to put Brexit behind them and create a better relationship with Britain.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,150
    edited April 2023

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Interesting... NATO want UvdL to move from rue de la Loi to Boulevard Leopold III to become SecGen and may extend Stoltenberg's term to fit with the end of her Commission Presidency. Mark Rutte and Pedro Sanchez are also in the frame but NATO want a woman and Kaja Kallas is too mental about Russia. If NATO are leaking UvdL she must be Biden's pick.

https://www.politico.eu/article/war-nato-struggle-replace-jensstoltenberg-ursula-von-der-leyen/

Answer 1: Bloody hell, can’t they find someone with a positive record in government?

Answer 2: If UvdL is Biden’s pick, that says f..kloads about where US foreign policy is heading. China is the new adversary, and Europe had better get used to defending itself against Russia and what’s left of its army.
    It's taken them six months to get across the Bakhmutka so I don't think we need to worry about them turning up off Beachy Head any time soon.
    That's a very ... interesting view. And a wrong/complacent one IMO.

For one thing, militaries can rebuild fairly quickly. A pariah Russia will not be a (conventional) threat to Europe for the next few years. But if it decides to ramp up its military expenditure, kit and capabilities, and if it actually develops a brain and learns where its military is going wrong, then in less than a decade it could be a significant threat. Especially if the west does not invest. Russia has historically down some of this stuff *very* well, and I have no doubt they could again.

And that's just militarily. We've seen time and time again the way Russia interferes abroad - from elections to Salisbury.

Europe (and the UK) need to take these threats seriously. I don't think UvDL would, as it requires a leader, not a lowest-common denominator consensus taker.
    Surely Russia's biggest mistake with this crazy escapade is that people do take its malevolence more seriously. Albeit perhaps its competence less seriously.

God know what the Russian people really think of it all.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,541

Heathener said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

Saint Jacinda seems to have disappeared up her own arsehole in her closing address.

Shame we didn't have Jarvis Cocker to walk on stage and waft the smell away this time.

She's speaking from an alien perspective to you because she's a woman in leadership who decided to show another way of being.

Thank god for Jacinda.
    Not really.

A lot of ageing blokes on here parrot out tired old tropes, mainly because they are bewildered by alternative perspectives which may broaden their horizons aka. they are threatened by them.

I'm not in fact saying she was perfect, far from it. But she brought a different perspective and that's a very good thing.

The world would be a far better, and far safer, place if all men were banned from leadership for a very long time.

Preferably eternity.

Men are responsible for virtually all the violence, war, and hatred in this world.

xx

I am all in favour of greater diversity in general, and particularly more female political leaders, but the idea there should be a sisterhood hegemony and this would be utopian is just ludicrous.

The main reason there have been less evil women leaders in history is because there have been less women leaders. Women are not without vice and therefore by extension less evil than men.

It might be worth you looking up Winnie Mandela as an example and contrast her with her obviously male ex-spouse.
    Here’s a book that discusses this topic… https://amzn.to/439RxPK By a close relative of mine!
    Looks great but I think it was put more succinctly in Fleabag. From 1'25" for about half a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZrnHnASRV8
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I must say, talking theoretically, that I wouldn't be happy if I was being investigated for fraud and the police set up one of those tents outside my house.

David Herdson had the best comment (on Twitter):

'I know in politics it's common to say that "X knows where the bodies are buried" but for the benefit of Police Scotland, it's just a metaphor.'
    That's jolly good. It's a shame he stopped posting here. Was there any reason why, or did he just get bored?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    Sandpit said:

TimS said:

Sandpit said:

TimS said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

TimS said:

Pro_Rata said:

To note the Scottish subsample polling average for the 6 pollsters who have conducted Westminster VIs including Scottish results since Yousaf was appointed:

SNP 39, Lab 28, Con 19, LD 5, Green 3, Oth 5

That is little changed from before his appointment. And being subsamples the weight of outliers remains potentially important, but the pattern of outliers is similar.

SNP: 51/48/36/34/34/33
    Lab: 39/35/29/23/23/20
    Con: 28/21/19/17/16/14

I suspect it will go a notch down again after this week, but there is surely now a fairly secure SNP base of those who voted based on national identity in 2015 and who would forgive their side things they would be outraged at if done by the other side. So where is the SNP floor? Possibly as high as 35%?

In that way it mirrors the Conservatives in RUK. Monopolising one side of a cultural and identity divide (Brexit in their case) while multiple parties fight it out for the other side. We've seen how the Tory floor is still probably around 30% despite over a decade of at best underwhelming government.

I assume the Tories also have a floor in Scotland too.

The Lib Dems seem to be nowhere. I think this reflects their uncompromising unionism. If you're going to vote for an uncompromising unionist you might as well vote Tory or Labour. A devo-max Lib Dem might peel off a few of those on the right of the SNP.
    Lib Dems are fighting a battle to have a temporary motor traffic deck installed on Grade II* listed Hammersmith Bridge at a cost of £200m,the last I heard.
    They could probably save £190m by giving the Royal Engineers a call, have them build a temporary bridge alongside until they can fix the main one.
    That was suggested. The Thames at this point is shallow and not especially wide. I row under the bridge, on a weekly basis. I can quite often hit the bottom with the blades, if I get even slightly out of the channel.

Apparently, legal action from a small number of residents on both sides stopped any such ideas.

The simplest way to deal with that was to compulsorily purchase the houses in question - say at twice the market value. That would deal with any legal challenge or other issue.
    That comment says so much, about why it’s so difficult to get anything done.

The Mayor and the DoT should have emergency powers in such a situation, and Parliament should be able to give them if they don’t already.

If the river is really an oar’s depth to the side of the bridge, it should only take a few days to have something useable - where useable means a 1.5t axle weight, closed between 02:00 and 05:00 and on Sundays, for inspections. They could possibly even plan a raising section to let boats through, a la Tower Bridge.

The other alternative is to dredge the river and run a ferry across, a dozen cars at a time.

AIUI it currently takes an hour to cross the river at peak times, following any reasonable diversion route.
    There will be a number of complications to any of this:
    Piers in river will adjust water flow, potentially causing erosion/deposition issues with structures further up and downstream, as it's tidal.
    Services in and around anywhere you need to dig, that will need moving.
    Ecological issues
    Archaeological issues
    etc

But all of these are easily fixable given will, or even ignorable given necessity. And the proposed dry much cost is staggering. We're really pricing ourselves out of doing anything in this country - and I fear the people wanting more legislation are fine with this.
    Spending £200m for a temporary bridge in the capital does not look good from the Red Wall.

What percentage of these costs are the actual Engineering?
    It's none of the Red Wall's business really.
    The £200m is coming out of Hammersmith Council and the Mayor’s budgets, rather than from the UK Treasury?

If it’s from the Treasury, then it’s very much every UK resident’s business.
    I think it comes from the Mayor's budget. Now the rest of the country could complain the mayor gets too much money in the first place but bear in mind London is hardly a net recipient of government funding. It also has 9 million residents, several times larger than the entire population of the red wall.
    Interesting, because the Mayor’s budget for next year has only £93m in additional spending on transport - and I’m going to take a wild guess that most of the money is heading to cycle lanes and LTNs, rather than a temporary bridge in Hammersmith.

https://www.london.gov.uk/take-part/all-consultations/mayors-budget-2023-24

What’s the timescale for construction of this temporary bridge?
    Although...

(1) The cost of the work may well be spread out over multiple years, and there may also be a specific pot for bridge repair

(2) The work may be paid for from several sources - it might be that the Council is on the hook for 25%, the DoT 15%, and the Mayor 60%.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

That detail is there to protect from outside threats though - not give the heads up on investigations or tip-offs by plod itself. At least it damn well shouldn't.
    Very much so. But now answer that question from what you know of Police Scotland.
  • Options
    If @malcolmg is right, and so far he has been bang on, then there are plenty more skeletons to be unearthed and more people to be collared and cuffed, so then we might start asking: who will turn first? Someone in the SNP elite might see a chance for some plea bargaining. Throwing everyone else under the Edinburgh tram in return for a much lighter sentence

This is absolutely delicious. It is also proof of generally what a terrible idea it is to have perpetual one party states in supposed democracies. There are exceptions, like Singapore, but in the west it is a one way road to corruption. That's why you need to kick the bastards out of power fairly regularly
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,138

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

hmmm

Who ?
    Nigelb said:

hmmm

Who ?
    Well we'll see. On your logic it's between Juncker or Barnier.
    That's your logic, not mine.

Other possibilities are Mark Rutte and Chrystia Freeland. But neither are both European and female, so VdL is likely in prime position if she wants it.

Whatever chance Wallace might have had (slimmer than his waistline) was likely dished by the stingy defence allocation in the last budget.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I must say, talking theoretically, that I wouldn't be happy if I was being investigated for fraud and the police set up one of those tents outside my house.

'I know in politics it's common to say that "X knows where the bodies are buried" but for the benefit of Police Scotland, it's just a metaphor.'
    That's jolly good. It's a shame he stopped posting here. Was there any reason why, or did he just get bored?
    Likely driven off by the hate mob like so many have been. Herdson. Meeks. Tim. Charles. Horse. Amongst others
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,286
    The picture... There's on old thing about politicians needing to avoid standing in front of Exit signs, but Yousaf appears to be taking it to the next level.

https://twitter.com/conor_matchett/status/1643573736086421504
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,545

IanB2 said:

The home secretary, Suella Braverman, will face her Tory colleague Flick Drummond at a selection meeting on Wednesday night, as she aims to secure a seat for the next election.

Braverman’s current seat of Fareham is being wound up and included in a new constituency of Fareham and Waterlooville.

Surely Braverman should stand in the first constituency she arrived in?
    Very good!
  • Options

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Likely driven off by the hate mob like so many have been. Herdson. Meeks. Tim. Charles. Horse. Amongst others
    Er, what? Horse keeps getting himself banned coz he drops the C word. Meeks left because he was going insane (I am very happy to see that he has calmed down and is now lucid and interesting on Twitter). Tim was an amusing bastard who got himself doxxed, after doxxing others. Charles is a shame, I admit
  • Options
    As for Hammersmith Bridge, simply close it to vehicular traffic. Foot and cycle traffic only. The good people of Barnes don't want Hammersmith types polluting them anyway.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Heathener said:

Driver said:

Heathener said:

Thank god for Jacinda.
    Not really.

Preferably eternity.

xx

Thucidydes said it best. Polities fight each other for reasons of honour, interest, and fear. Those reasons don't change, regardless of the sex of the head of the government.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,883

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Horse wasn't driven off he was banned for dropping the C bomb again
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,035
    IanB2 said:

This is pretty interesting - I wonder what it would mean for Braverman to be effectively deselected? I wonder if there are any members in safe-ish seats who are planning to step down (and whose local membership wouldn't mind Suella parachuting in).
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Horse wasn't driven off he was banned for dropping the C bomb again
    He could have come back as CHB4. Instead we have the Horse-B AI sock puppet...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

hmmm

Who ?
    Nigelb said:

hmmm

Who ?

Other possibilities are Mark Rutte and Chrystia Freeland. But neither are both European and female, so VdL is likely in prime position if she wants it.

Whatever chance Wallace might have had (slimmer than his waistline) was likely dished by the stingy defence allocation in the last budget.
    Rutte would be a possible. Small nation, PM ( but maybe not for much longer ) and able to balance EU, US and others.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    edited April 2023

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Interesting... NATO want UvdL to move from rue de la Loi to Boulevard Leopold III to become SecGen and may extend Stoltenberg's term to fit with the end of her Commission Presidency. Mark Rutte and Pedro Sanchez are also in the frame but NATO want a woman and Kaja Kallas is too mental about Russia. If NATO are leaking UvdL she must be Biden's pick.

https://www.politico.eu/article/war-nato-struggle-replace-jensstoltenberg-ursula-von-der-leyen/

Answer 1: Bloody hell, can’t they find someone with a positive record in government?

Answer 2: If UvdL is Biden’s pick, that says f..kloads about where US foreign policy is heading. China is the new adversary, and Europe had better get used to defending itself against Russia and what’s left of its army.
    Buried in the article is another Brexit dividend.

“Then there’s the fact that some capitals would oppose a non-EU candidate, complicating a Wallace candidacy.”
    Probably an astute move to tie in the EU into NATO, and specifically a German, so as to keep a unified approach.

While obviously unsuitable to PB males of a certain age during to being foreign and female, I don't think she has done a bad job in her current role. What politician hasn't?
    Her complete and utter failure as German Defence Minister is an issue.

As is her previous track record of failure.

And her trigger of the article in the NI agreement, over the vaccine.
    I really don't think anyone outside the UK, and very few inside the UK, are in the least bit bothered about a stupid announcement she made on vaccines which was never implemented and was rescinded within hours.
    It completely blew up the moral superiority that was in play, it was significant.

Not very relevant to this, but the casual dismissal of it does not pass the 'if the other side did it' test either.

Would Boris get a pass for doing the same thing? Of course he bloody wouldn't.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,411

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Horse was banned, several times, for using the ‘C’ word.

I remember Charles being hounded off by the local drunk.

I don’t know the others.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Family commitments and work.

He has a young family.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

IanB2 said:

This is pretty interesting - I wonder what it would mean for Braverman to be effectively deselected? I wonder if there are any members in safe-ish seats who are planning to step down (and whose local membership wouldn't mind Suella parachuting in).
    And deselected on what grounds? For being a security risk? For gross incompetence? For failing to drown sufficient boat people?
  • Options

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair Meeks and tim greatly enjoyed dishing it out, as well as taking it.
  • Options
    Sturgeon's reputation, as I suggested a few weeks ago, is collapsing just like Merkel's did

Except Nicola is doing it much quicker
  • Options

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Family commitments and work.

He has a young family.
    or did he go all respectable and have to watch what he said ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-61549489
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,473

Heathener said:

Time to increase your stakes on that outright Labour majority ...

You should go into the streets and hear what people are saying.

A day of reckoning is coming.
    Day of reckoning? Do you mean the Home Secretary has plans for the Labour Party based on the success of today's Police Scotland operation?

What are people saying as a matter of interest?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

It's taken them six months to get across the Bakhmutka so I don't think we need to worry about them turning up off Beachy Head any time soon.
    That's a very ... interesting view. And a wrong/complacent one IMO.

For one thing, militaries can rebuild fairly quickly. A pariah Russia will not be a (conventional) threat to Europe for the next few years. But if it decides to ramp up its military expenditure, kit and capabilities, and if it actually develops a brain and learns where its military is going wrong, then in less than a decade it could be a significant threat. Especially if the west does not invest. Russia has historically down some of this stuff *very* well, and I have no doubt they could again.

And that's just militarily. We've seen time and time again the way Russia interferes abroad - from elections to Salisbury.

Europe (and the UK) need to take these threats seriously. I don't think UvDL would, as it requires a leader, not a lowest-common denominator consensus taker.
    Surely Russia's biggest mistake with this crazy escapade is that people do take its malevolence more seriously. Albeit perhaps its competence less seriously.

God know what the Russian people really think of it all.
    The Russians appear to have thought only sporadic and mealy mouthed objections would arise, as they have before. Like many people I'd have favoured a 'nothing much can be done' depressed shrug.

They dont seem to have planned for most of Europe at least realising that ignoring them for sake of not escalating things didn't work, and that risky as confronting the malevolence is (even second hand) it is the best option.

They seem baffled why Finland and Sweden reversed course on NATO despite their threats, even though they showed giving in to the threats doesn't work.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Day of reckoning? Do you mean the Home Secretary has plans for the Labour Party based on the success of today's Police Scotland operation?

Can't you hear them on the streets?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

“Then there’s the fact that some capitals would oppose a non-EU candidate, complicating a Wallace candidacy.”
    Probably an astute move to tie in the EU into NATO, and specifically a German, so as to keep a unified approach.

While obviously unsuitable to PB males of a certain age during to being foreign and female, I don't think she has done a bad job in her current role. What politician hasn't?

I really don't think anyone outside the UK, and very few inside the UK, are in the least bit bothered about a stupid announcement she made on vaccines which was never implemented and was rescinded within hours.
    It completely blew up the moral superiority that was in play, it was significant.

Not very relevant to this, but the casual dismissal of it does not pass the 'if the other side did it' test either.

She has considerably upped her game since then, though. And as the EU figurehead for aiding Ukraine has made no similar missteps.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

IanB2 said:

And deselected on what grounds? For being a security risk? For gross incompetence? For failing to drown sufficient boat people?
    No one hates boats more, so her divisiveness internally despite leading on a popular policy demonstrates her own weakness as a candidate quite well.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    This now looks absolutely terrible, in retrospect

Sturgeon is clearly and obviously lying, and you can see it in her body language

"NEW: Outgoing FM Nicola Sturgeon tells @SkyNews she’s not heard whether police want to interview her or husband Peter Murrell amid ongoing investigation examining SNP independence finances.

In @BethRigby interview, she denied pressure of the probe played part in shock departure."

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1643559249153228800?s=20

https://twitter.com/ConnorGillies/status/1637795474366144514?s=20
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,880
    Sandpit said:

TimS said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It was however, a *really* good insight into the EU thinking at the time, when they thought the UK had managed to find a massive competitive advantage.

No, it was just panic in response to criticism that they had screwed up their procurement and were slow to start their rollout (which they were, although it didn't make too much difference in the end, since once they got going, they did very well).
    Yes, they panicked and tried to abrogate an international treaty, because they thought it would make them look bad for a few weeks.

This is who you want running NATO?
    Who said I want her running NATO? I'm just pointing out that her record overall is quite good, and that the vaccine misstep will have zero, literally zero, salience amongst those who make the decision.
    So she generally had a good record, but the one time where her organisation was at the point where there was a massive emergency, and all the chips were down, she pressed the big red button?
    Don't like UvdL but isn't that for the President and other government leaders, not the Secretary, to decide? So it is a bit of a red herring.
    And she didn't actually press the red button, she threatened to. Quite useful for NATO SG.
    She pressed it, and then walked it back hours and days later. That doesn’t work with *the* big red button.
    "UVDL's record as quite a good one" is a rather large claim if you followed her career history through the Merkel administration.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,087
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

hmmm

Who ?
    Nigelb said:

hmmm

Who ?

Freeland is too Ukrainian and would likely enrage the bicephalous eagle to the east to a greater degree than is comfortable for Biden.

Apart from anything else Baldy Ben hasn't done that great a job at the MoD that he deserves elevation to high office. He has made less than zero progress on the waste and incompetence in procurement and has overseen cuts in just about everything except things with no military value.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I don’t know the others.
    IIRC Charles objected to someone following up on one of his several name drops.

It's a tricky (and I think on balance good) thing to say who you are here on PB but then if you start dropping family members'names all over the shop you shouldn't be surprised if people also mention them. Which is I think what happened.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,674

Ghedebrav said:

IanB2 said:

Not being a very nice person?

Not normally relevant, but when you have two MPs with pretty equal claims going for the same seat, it matters.

(There must be a reason why neither Braverman or Drummond is going for Hamble Valley (Fareham West and Eastleigh South, but better thought of as Howard's Way) but I don't know what.)
  • Options

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

the hate mob
    We've got our own Discord channel and merch.

• Options
    Honestly, dentists are one rung above terrorists in the evil stakes.

Had an hour long appointment, I'd rant more about evil dentists but I need to speak to somebody about remortgaging my house so I can pay for the dental treatment needed.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,221
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I don’t know the others.
    Can't Charles get his valet to post on his behalf? 'Local drunk' doesn't massively narrow down the list of potential culprits BTW.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The final changes to the boundaries are not published until June/July time. So are the Conservatives working off the last set of consultations?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,545
    edited April 2023
    MattW said:

Sandpit said:

TimS said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It was however, a *really* good insight into the EU thinking at the time, when they thought the UK had managed to find a massive competitive advantage.

No, it was just panic in response to criticism that they had screwed up their procurement and were slow to start their rollout (which they were, although it didn't make too much difference in the end, since once they got going, they did very well).
    Yes, they panicked and tried to abrogate an international treaty, because they thought it would make them look bad for a few weeks.

This is who you want running NATO?
    Who said I want her running NATO? I'm just pointing out that her record overall is quite good, and that the vaccine misstep will have zero, literally zero, salience amongst those who make the decision.
    So she generally had a good record, but the one time where her organisation was at the point where there was a massive emergency, and all the chips were down, she pressed the big red button?
    Don't like UvdL but isn't that for the President and other government leaders, not the Secretary, to decide? So it is a bit of a red herring.
    And she didn't actually press the red button, she threatened to. Quite useful for NATO SG.
    She pressed it, and then walked it back hours and days later. That doesn’t work with *the* big red button.
    "UVDL's record as quite a good one" is a rather large claim if you followed her career history through the Merkel administration.
    Fully appreciative that UVDL’s career prior to Commission President is one of continually failing upwards, but she does actually seem to have landed in a role that she’s actually been quite good at. I guess by the law of averages it has to happen now and again.

She’s (err.. to borrow a phrase) surprised on the upside?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

She has considerably upped her game since then, though. And as the EU figurehead for aiding Ukraine has made no similar missteps.
    I dont have any particular animus toward her. The stuff from her time as defence minister would presumably be relevant but I think the EU has been pretty good on Ukraine on the whole.

But that cock up was serious, and 'oh they reversed it in hours' is a ridiculous cop out which would never fly in EU circles had the UK done the announcing.
  • Options

Had an hour long appointment, I'd rant more about evil dentists but I need to speak to somebody about remortgaging my house so I can pay for the dental treatment needed.

The last time I went to the dentist she said she wished she had my teeth.
  • Options

And then she ripped them out?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,601
    China backing away from Russia?

"⚡️China's ambassador to EU: ‘No limit’ friendship with Moscow ‘nothing but rhetoric.’

China’s Ambassador to the European Union Fu Cong downplayed the Russo-Chinese partnership in an interview with the New York Times on April 5."

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1643613447928651776
  • Options

I have fantastic teeth, just two of them need work.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

IanB2 said:

Not normally relevant, but when you have two MPs with pretty equal claims going for the same seat, it matters.

(There must be a reason why neither Braverman or Drummond is going for Hamble Valley (Fareham West and Eastleigh South, but better thought of as Howard's Way) but I don't know what.)
    It's worth pointing out that Hampshire will still have the number of seats but there's a big shuffle round to equalise numbers. So the current Eastleigh, Winchester, Meon Valley, Fareham are shuffling round clockwise to become Eastleigh, Winchester, Fareham and Waterlooville, Hamble Valley.

It may be that the Eastleigh MP is going for Hamble Valley as it's a safer seat. I read that Drummond may have one of the new Isle of Wight seats as a backup option
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

hmmm

Who ?
    Nigelb said:

hmmm

Who ?

Freeland is too Ukrainian and would likely enrage the bicephalous eagle to the east to a greater degree than is comfortable for Biden.

Apart from anything else Baldy Ben hasn't done that great a job at the MoD that he deserves elevation to high office. He has made less than zero progress on the waste and incompetence in procurement and has overseen cuts in just about everything except things with no military value.
    My favourite is his announcing Ajax is "back on track" as they've fitted it with rubber seats.
  • Options

Heathener said:

That's a fun idea. We all saw the outrage when having had a swift and thorough Met police investigation into Partygate that Durham police let Sir Beer Starmer off the hook.

Surely the HS can simply command the Met to arrest Starmer and seize all of the computers in Labour HQ on a proven charge of being in league with the small boat traffickers.

It wouldn't even be the most corrupt / ludicrous thing the Met has done. Who would notice? Get him nicked Suella, that'll win you that nomination...
  • Options

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I don’t know the others.
    Can't Charles get his valet to post on his behalf? 'Local drunk' doesn't massively narrow down the list of potential culprits BTW.
    Very true 😂
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Haha no. I did once have three wisdom teeth taken out at one time, but this was in the US so (a) it was covered by insurance and (b) I got given some epic painkillers - probably heroin or something - and so the whole experience was extremely pleasant. I felt no pain either while they were removing the teeth with a hammer and chisel or subsequently and felt very happy and relaxed for days afterwards.
  • Options

Don't let her put you under anaesthetic then.
  • Options

Hunt's plans basically end the whole 'double mortgage' thing for working parents of babies & toddlers.
    But not for another year or two... :(
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I don’t know the others.
    IIRC Charles objected to someone following up on one of his several name drops.

It's a tricky (and I think on balance good) thing to say who you are here on PB but then if you start dropping family members'names all over the shop you shouldn't be surprised if people also mention them. Which is I think what happened.
    The more diverse a collection of voices we have on here the better. I read some opinions on here which I find reprehensible and I'm sure the same is thought by some about mine.

That is a *good thing*. So however and whatever drove Charles et al to depart, it would be nice for people to come back. I know that many of the departed are lurkers (as they are active very recently despite not posting for a while) - would be lovely to see them back. And the now irregulars like Cyclefree being back on more.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Meeks is clearly a loss, especially when he wasn't BDS (although I understand he had genuine concerns about medicine for his husband which mercifully appear not to have arisen). Tim was a trenchant combatant of the late Plato - who was right about Trump before anyone else was. Who remembers MickPork? Still getting out the Labour vote in Glasgow, no doubt. David Herdson called the May disaster before anyone else. Recent events may prove Cyclefree to have been prescient in the face of much misogynist condescension.....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

"⚡️China's ambassador to EU: ‘No limit’ friendship with Moscow ‘nothing but rhetoric.’

China’s Ambassador to the European Union Fu Cong downplayed the Russo-Chinese partnership in an interview with the New York Times on April 5."

It was always clear thar China was never going to support Russia going nuclear over Ukraine. If only because that would give the green light to Taiwan getting nukes.

What China actuallly said was that they were happy to do karoake to No Limits by 2 Unlimited - and something got lost in translation...
  • Options
    Do you want some more really bad news from Higher Education? Well, from Thursday 20 April the Marking and Assessment Boycott is on. So it's going to be a lot harder to get a degree unless there's a settlement. Grim stuff. 1/2

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1643623427100626944

Been a grim few years for anyone at university.
  • Options
    Wings Over Scotland is crowing and gloating. And when you read his latest blogpost, you can see why

https://wingsoverscotland.com/lipstick-on-your-collar/#more-136790
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Haha no. I did once have three wisdom teeth taken out at one time, but this was in the US so (a) it was covered by insurance and (b) I got given some epic painkillers - probably heroin or something - and so the whole experience was extremely pleasant. I felt no pain either while they were removing the teeth with a hammer and chisel or subsequently and felt very happy and relaxed for days afterwards.
    Don't anyone let SeanT know...
  • Options

Macron's meeting Xi Jinping today, so will be interesting if he gets the same message
  • Options
    Bugger me, those Finnish Christmas trees pack a punch!

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1643337284102619137
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Meeks is clearly a loss, especially when he wasn't BDS (although I understand he had genuine concerns about medicine for his husband which mercifully appear not to have arisen). Tim was a trenchant combatant of the late Plato - who was right about Trump before anyone else was. Who remembers MickPork? Still getting out the Labour vote in Glasgow, no doubt. David Herdson called the May disaster before anyone else. Recent events may prove Cyclefree to have been prescient in the face of much misogynist condescension.....
    @Isam's voice is one that I believe PB misses most keenly. Not sure if he is banned or self-removed.

But his is the authentic voice of, and I hope if he is lurking he won't take offence, the spirit of the WWC.

I disagreed with just about everything he said but his was a very important point of view. Especially on PB.
    wot ? I always has you down as WWC.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

IanB2 said:

It's worth pointing out that Hampshire will still have the number of seats but there's a big shuffle round to equalise numbers. So the current Eastleigh, Winchester, Meon Valley, Fareham are shuffling round clockwise to become Eastleigh, Winchester, Fareham and Waterlooville, Hamble Valley.

It may be that the Eastleigh MP is going for Hamble Valley as it's a safer seat. I read that Drummond may have one of the new Isle of Wight seats as a backup option
    Also worth noting that both Braverman and Drummond wanted to keep something akin to the current arrangements but the BCE overruled them as it would have involved putting one ward of Fareham town in Meon Valley
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

@Isam's voice is one that I believe PB misses most keenly. Not sure if he is banned or self-removed.

But his is the authentic voice of, and I hope if he is lurking he won't take offence, the spirit of the WWC.

I disagreed with just about everything he said but his was a very important point of view. Especially on PB.
    Banned. And yes I agree entirely

He and I are still in touch. He's in good spirits and has young kids, but I do believe he would like to return
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

IanB2 said:

The added complication is the national situation. Lib Dems will be utterly gutted if they don't win Winchester next time, and new Eastleigh is much more promising for the Yellow Peril once the yachty bits at the bottom have been cut off.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

A(nother) is what I meant, obvs.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

A(nother) is what I meant, obvs.
    LOL
  • Options

Do you want some more really bad news from Higher Education? Well, from Thursday 20 April the Marking and Assessment Boycott is on. So it's going to be a lot harder to get a degree unless there's a settlement. Grim stuff. 1/2

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1643623427100626944

Been a grim few years for anyone at university.

One of the factors behind the Sunak Spring Surge was likely the sense that the public sector strikes were coming to an end.

That now seems optimistic.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,157
    edited April 2023
    Keep seeing a dog or fox on Twitter.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Wings Over Scotland is crowing and gloating. And when you read his latest blogpost, you can see why

There'll be singing in the streets of Somerset tonight.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

A shiba-inu has replaced the blue bird.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,811

Bugger me, those Finnish Christmas trees pack a punch!

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1643337284102619137

Their M270s?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I will happily go to my eternal rest in the cold earth without ever reading another of Charles' unctuous and reflexive defenses of a rich white man or a Cyclefree stele but we need Ishmael and grabcoque back. #gamerecognisegame
  • Options
    Looks like Jeremy Hunt has deleted a tweet:

Jeremy Hunt
    @Jeremy_Hunt
    ·
    3m
    Lots of people have been asking me why we can’t we roll out our new childcare package immediately?

Listen to @JuneOSullivan, CEO of @leyfonline, to find out more 👇

https://pic.twitter.com/hv60vaGXZz
    Replying to @Jeremy_Hunt @JuneOSullivan and @LEYFonline
  • Options

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

I don’t know the others.
    Very true 😂
  • Options
    Regarding the next NATO sec gen, national scores to date are as follows (ignoring a 15 day temporary incumbency).

Netherlands 3
    Italy 3
    UK 3
    Belgium 2
    Germany 1
    Denmark 1
    Norway 1

I reckon Germany might think they're due another crack as they ramp up defence spending. But who, other than VdL, is there ?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It's the dogecoin "avatar", which Musk has history with

He is trolling for lolz
  • Options
    Talking of @david_herdson I entirely agree with. Anything that can be done to get around the Tory attempt to gerrymander the election is a Good Thing

https://twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/1643627875990491138
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    Nigelb said:

Regarding the next NATO sec gen, national scores to date are as follows (ignoring a 15 day temporary incumbency).

Netherlands 3
    Italy 3
    UK 3
    Belgium 2
    Germany 1
    Denmark 1
    Norway 1

I reckon Germany might think they're due another crack as they ramp up defence spending. But who, other than VdL, is there ?

There's a distinct lack of Eastern Europe there.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,286
    @ConnorGillies
    NEW: Detectives seen with a spade & garden equipment in the rear garden of Peter Murrell and Nicola Sturgeon’s Glasgow home.

Officers spotted with blue tarpaulin sheets, a stills camera and laptop as they examine the area around the garage.

Rolling coverage @SkyNews
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Netherlands 3
    Italy 3
    UK 3
    Belgium 2
    Germany 1
    Denmark 1
    Norway 1

Radek Sikorski, the ex Polish Foreign Minister, might be in the running. Poland deserves the job, given what an effort they are making re Ukraine and Russia
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@ConnorGillies
    NEW: Detectives seen with a spade & garden equipment in the rear garden of Peter Murrell and Nicola Sturgeon’s Glasgow home.

Officers spotted with blue tarpaulin sheets, a stills camera and laptop as they examine the area around the garage.

Searching for the buried Parmesan ?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@ConnorGillies

WTF??

Twitter is telling me that "Fred West" is trending in the UK. Sub-optimal for the Nats
  • Options
    Foss said:

Nigelb said:

Netherlands 3
    Italy 3
    UK 3
    Belgium 2
    Germany 1
    Denmark 1
    Norway 1

There's a distinct lack of Eastern Europe there.
    There is.
    Though most of them were on the red team for much of NATO's history.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

It's really worrying that nobody in the profession of journalism in Scotland had the balls to go against the SNP. Not even when half the Committee having oversight of the books resigned - over two years back, note - because, er, they weren't allowed to see the books.

You look at this and think: would you bring your business, your inward investment, your jobs to Scotland? Nah... Banana republics have more scruples than what has been happening in Scotland for the past decade or more.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited April 2023

Dentistry is the only profession where they take their drills, needles, pliers and wrenches to you - instruments of torture basically - and YOU have to pay THEM for the privilege..
  • Options
    I thought "Brandon Johnson" was some kind of new meme.

Actually he's just been elected Mayor of Chicago.
  • Options
    Scottish developments add to the sense that Starmer is a lucky guy. With this in mind (a) shouldn't we raise the probability that he becomes PM and (b) shouldn't we also hope that he does, since a country is more likely to prosper under a lucky leader?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

@ConnorGillies

Searching for the buried Parmesan ?
    Doing a good job of burying the prospect of independence.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Nigelb said:

Netherlands 3
    Italy 3
    UK 3
    Belgium 2
    Germany 1
    Denmark 1
    Norway 1

Theres Angie herself of course - she still claims she has done nothing wrong. Mrs wheelbarrow who Angie cut off or they could dig up the son of Frankenstein and ask Selmayr.
This discussion has been closed.