Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The New York court hearing open thread – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,828
    edited April 2023
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

@leon I have only just seen your comment in reply to one of my comments. I repeat what I say because you seem to fail to grasp the outrageous irony, not for the first time, in your posts. The fact that you can't see the irony of making post after post in the last few days on exploiting a form of freedom of movement for you in the EU having voted against it for the rest of the population and also boast about how you will be avoiding taxation after making post after post accusing Lineker of being a tax cheat is utterly breathtaking and supremely selfish.

You also posted that Brexit has failed to stop migration. You said that in surprise, yet we all told you that would happen and you took no notice. Now you are surprised and plan to bugger off leaving your mess behind you.

And you don't get this! You don't get it at all. You have no shame in posting this stuff.

Given that I said “this is a magnificent irony of Brexit” the idea that I didn’t grasp the irony is fairly risible. Like everything else you say
    Whoosh straight over your head. That is not what I was saying was ironic. For a wordsmith it's odd you don't understand the language. You don't get it at all do you? I wasn't referring to the irony of what was available through Brexit was I?
    Mate, it's not my fault it turns out there is a MASSIVE Brexit Benefit, but it is a benefit to people like me, who voted Leave, but not you, who voted Remain. It is, however, gloriously amusing
    You often boast how intelligent you are yet you fail to grasp the point being made repeatedly. Oh and I could take advantage of it like you, unlike most people. However I didn't vote for it nor did I call Lineker a tax cheat and repeatedly bang on about both endlessly only to hypocritically then post endlessly again about how you plan to do what you have stopped many of your fellow countrymen from doing and boast about how you can avoid tax. And you don't get the hypocrisy and the selfishness. Most people in your position would have the decency or common sense no keep quiet about it.
    Why the fuck should I stop when it so vividly winds you up, you pompous old twat? I'm having fun
    Not winding me up, but you are looking pretty stupid with these posts. One day you are complaining about celebs avoiding tax, the next you are posting on how you are going to do it and say 'who would not do it' Do you realise how daft you look.
    Lineker looks like a c*nt because he is always on Twitter being a virtue signalling lefty and calling the Tories Nazis and saying we should let all the migrants in and how dare they privatise the NHS, meanwhile he is busily doing his best (legally!) to avoid giving the tax man £4.9 million, which, if he paid it, and he can afford it, he's ultra wealthy, would be some help in paying for those migrants, that NHS, etc. But what he did was legal so that's that

Me? Well, it may have escaped your attention, but I am definitely NOT a virtue signalling lefty. So I'm not a hypocrite

The one way I am like Lineker is I that am a financially self-interested man who wants to legally avoid paying tax
    God we are going around this loop again. Like many subjects you write on you don't actually have the knowledge, but are happy to pontificate with certainty. This is a reminder of another of your spectacular ironic posts from the past. All Lineker did was claim to be self employed, which on the face of it he was and which the law found him to be. Exactly the same as yourself. Yet you were happy to get stuck into his tax affairs over and over and over again for doing precisely what you do. And you don't get it.
    BECAUSE HE'S A STUPID LEFTY WHO CALLS THE TORIES NAZIS ON TWITTER

And revels in his moral courage, and boasts of his eager support for the NHS, etc etc. Personally, this sticks in my craw when he is so desperately keen not to give the HMRC (which pays for migrants and the NHS), a £5m he can easily afford

I get that what he does is legal. I get that he is financially selfish (who isn't). I get that he is self employed like me. I just find the conjunction of these two things, his personal selfishness with his Twitter boasts about his unselfish and generous nature and his rants about how the Tories are so awful and, er, selfish, quite jarring

You don't. Whatever
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,170
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Are we still having folk try and suggest that EU “freedom of movement” rights were of any extra use to anything other than the tiniest minority vs. what we have now? I thought we had got past that sort of disinformation?

One form of bitterness about losing FoM that I've seen myself is from non-EU immigrants who got British passports on the basis that it would give them free movement throughout the EU and then felt cheated when they lost it.
    I can sympathise with that. Can't you?

They became British citizens for the freedom of movement in the EU, then that was taken away. I'd be bitter

Tho they also have to take it on the chin coz we are a democracy, that's the essence of the UK, and we voted Out, and that was always possible. So there it is

But I can understand their resentful emotions
    Its interesting though.

Becoming a citizen of country A just so you can move to countries X, Y and/or Z.

Why not become a citizen of country X, Y or Z to begin with.

Or wouldn't X, Y or Z have wanted them ?

If so they should be grateful that at least country A gave them citizenship.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,272
    Roger said:

Roger said:

nico679 said:

WillG said:

kjh said:

@leon I have only just seen your comment in reply to one of my comments. I repeat what I say because you seem to fail to grasp the outrageous irony, not for the first time, in your posts. The fact that you can't see the irony of making post after post in the last few days on exploiting a form of freedom of movement for you in the EU having voted against it for the rest of the population and also boast about how you will be avoiding taxation after making post after post accusing Lineker of being a tax cheat is utterly breathtaking and supremely selfish.

You also posted that Brexit has failed to stop migration. You said that in surprise, yet we all told you that would happen and you took no notice. Now you are surprised and plan to bugger off leaving your mess behind you.

And you don't get this! You don't get it at all. You have no shame in posting this stuff.

But Brexit has stopped a bunch of immigration: unskilled work visas. What it hasn't stopped is low skilled work visas because of the watering down of the skilled visa requirements. But the solution to that isn't to say "oh we should have kept more power with the political elite". It is to take more power back, by kicking the crap out of parties that don't reduce low skilled immigration.
    Brits think some jobs are beneath them so good luck with that . All the UK has done is swap immigration from the EU with much more immigration from elsewhere . At the same time robbing Brits of their freedom of movement to 27 other countries .
    This is so revealing of your own British exceptionalism, as if "Brits" are a cut above the rest.
    That is totally illogical. Can you explain?
    Plenty of British people do the kind of jobs that @nico679 thinks Brits regard as beneath them. Are they not really British? Should they leave the dirty work to foreigners and do something more befitting their status as Brits?
    That's not what I took from what he was saying. We have swapped one group of immigrants for another and in the process have lose our right to freedom of movement to 27 countries.
    Hardly a swap when the skill level and benefits entitlement is so different. Unless we're now letting in Kenyan Big Issue sellers and letting them claim Housing Benefit and no one informed me.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,038
    Nigelb said:

What is going on here ?

@Foxy ?

England and Wales age standardised excess mortality estimate up to week 12 2023.

I do not like that 20-44 figure one bit, almost a quarter of the year in.

Data from ONS.

https://twitter.com/dobssi/status/1643254177135484929

Hard to tell, but a combination of factors including collapsing NHS services and post-covid vascular disease probably.

We know the unvaccinated have higher death rates than the vaccinated, but that could just be an association with other health behaviors.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,636
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Given that I said “this is a magnificent irony of Brexit” the idea that I didn’t grasp the irony is fairly risible. Like everything else you say
    Whoosh straight over your head. That is not what I was saying was ironic. For a wordsmith it's odd you don't understand the language. You don't get it at all do you? I wasn't referring to the irony of what was available through Brexit was I?
    Mate, it's not my fault it turns out there is a MASSIVE Brexit Benefit, but it is a benefit to people like me, who voted Leave, but not you, who voted Remain. It is, however, gloriously amusing
    You often boast how intelligent you are yet you fail to grasp the point being made repeatedly. Oh and I could take advantage of it like you, unlike most people. However I didn't vote for it nor did I call Lineker a tax cheat and repeatedly bang on about both endlessly only to hypocritically then post endlessly again about how you plan to do what you have stopped many of your fellow countrymen from doing and boast about how you can avoid tax. And you don't get the hypocrisy and the selfishness. Most people in your position would have the decency or common sense no keep quiet about it.
    Why the fuck should I stop when it so vividly winds you up, you pompous old twat? I'm having fun
    Not winding me up, but you are looking pretty stupid with these posts. One day you are complaining about celebs avoiding tax, the next you are posting on how you are going to do it and say 'who would not do it' Do you realise how daft you look.
    Lineker looks like a c*nt because he is always on Twitter being a virtue signalling lefty and calling the Tories Nazis and saying we should let all the migrants in and how dare they privatise the NHS, meanwhile he is busily doing his best (legally!) to avoid giving the tax man £4.9 million, which, if he paid it, and he can afford it, he's ultra wealthy, would be some help in paying for those migrants, that NHS, etc. But what he did was legal so that's that

Me? Well, it may have escaped your attention, but I am definitely NOT a virtue signalling lefty. So I'm not a hypocrite

The one way I am like Lineker is I that am a financially self-interested man who wants to legally avoid paying tax
    God we are going around this loop again. Like many subjects you write on you don't actually have the knowledge, but are happy to pontificate with certainty. This is a reminder of another of your spectacular ironic posts from the past. All Lineker did was claim to be self employed, which on the face of it he was and which the law found him to be. Exactly the same as yourself. Yet you were happy to get stuck into his tax affairs over and over and over again for doing precisely what you do. And you don't get it.

And revels in his moral courage, and boasts of his eager support for the NHS, etc etc. Personally, this sticks in my craw when he is so desperately keen not to give the HMRC (which pays for migrants and the NHS), a £5m he can easily afford

I get that what he does is legal. I get that he is financially selfish (who isn't). I get that he is self employed like me. I just find the conjunction of these two things, his personal selfishness with his Twitter boasts about his unselfish and generous nature and his rants about how the Tories are so awful and, er, selfish, quite jarring

You don't. Whatever
    You are a closet REMOANER for wanting to move to an EU nation, such as Spain or wherever, making YOU a STUPID LEFTY!
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,782
    Nigelb said:

The lead up to Trump’s appearance.

https://hellgatenyc.com/just-another-day-in-court
    … One by one, as their names and docket numbers were called, the defendants shuffled out from a doorway in the back of the courtroom in shoes from which the laces had been removed, the door briefly swinging wide enough to offer a glimpse of the holding pens where they'd spent the morning, after being transferred from the lock-up at whatever precinct had taken them into custody.

One man was facing charges of assault in the second degree based on allegations that he punched an elderly security guard in the face. Prosecutors asked the judge to set bail at $10,000, noting that he'd failed to appear in court nine times previously, has had his parole revoked twice, and has an open felony case. The defense counsel asked for bail to be set instead at $5,000. "He is a man of very little means," the man's public defender told the judge.

The judge considered this for a moment, before telling the defendant he's setting bail at $7,500, an amount he clearly can't afford. The implication was obvious: He'd be heading to jail on Rikers Island in short order.

"Shut the fuck up," the defendant spit at the judge over the surgical mask pulled down below his face. "Shut the fuck up and suck my dick." The court officers weren't having any of that, and came to take him back, away from the judge, back to the pens. "Oh, you gonna hit me again?" he asked the officer reaching for him. Back through the doorway in handcuffs, out of sight…

Good to be reminded of Bonfire of the Vanities.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

For those actually interested in my temporary emigration plans, they are indeed serious. I can avoid UK tax for a year. That's a big financial boost. Who would NOT do this, given the chance? I am free. My kids are grown. I can still come back to the UK for 90 days of that year

Spending 7 of the last 12 months abroad was kind of a test run of this. It was great fun. So then it's down to my choices. Until recently I thought I had two:

Bangkok

or

Just wandering from country to country (which I did in the spring/summer of 2022, and it was great, but also a little wearing)

Now I realise that Brexit has given me four more choices, as I can get a digital nomad visa in

Portugal

Spain

Croatia

Greece

With relatively tiny taxes

So I have to choose

You could presumably rent out your place in London, pay less for a place in Spain, and only pay 15% on any profit.
    Yes. The benefits are many. I am going to do some version of this

I could just wander: do three months Thailand, three months Georgia, three months Spain, bingo. No taxes AT ALL?

That won't work: the UK will tax you if you can't demonstrate to HMRC you are tax resident somewhere else.
    Will they? I have friends who do this and they don't get taxed by the UK

BUT this is new to me, so you could easily be right, I am this moment investigating. Probably I would rent somewhere for a year REALLY cheap - Thailand - then wander?
    I would be very, very careful. Better to pay 15% and be very well covered in the event of any... dispute...
    Yes, good advice. I might go to an expert for an hour's guidance

However the HMRC website is pretty adamant that if you are only in the UK for less than 90 days, then you are deemed a non resident and won't be taxed. Black and white. The disputes seem to come when you stay more than 90 days in the UK but less than 183 and claim non resident status. That's when it gets iffy?

The HMRC website says nothing about you needing to prove you are tax resident elsewhere

The UK has a statutory residence rule based on a number of factors of which days resident in the UK is one.

If you cease to be UK tax resident but come back to the UK and become resident again within 6 years you can be stung for capital gains and income taxes on income and gains received whilst temporary non resident.

Domicile is different so you are likely to remain UK domiciled and thus subject to UK IHT.

This gets complicated quite quickly so good professional advice is always recommended.
  • Options

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

For those actually interested in my temporary emigration plans, they are indeed serious. I can avoid UK tax for a year. That's a big financial boost. Who would NOT do this, given the chance? I am free. My kids are grown. I can still come back to the UK for 90 days of that year

Spending 7 of the last 12 months abroad was kind of a test run of this. It was great fun. So then it's down to my choices. Until recently I thought I had two:

Bangkok

or

Just wandering from country to country (which I did in the spring/summer of 2022, and it was great, but also a little wearing)

Now I realise that Brexit has given me four more choices, as I can get a digital nomad visa in

Portugal

Spain

Croatia

Greece

With relatively tiny taxes

So I have to choose

You could presumably rent out your place in London, pay less for a place in Spain, and only pay 15% on any profit.
    Yes. The benefits are many. I am going to do some version of this

I could just wander: do three months Thailand, three months Georgia, three months Spain, bingo. No taxes AT ALL?

That won't work: the UK will tax you if you can't demonstrate to HMRC you are tax resident somewhere else.
    Will they? I have friends who do this and they don't get taxed by the UK

BUT this is new to me, so you could easily be right, I am this moment investigating. Probably I would rent somewhere for a year REALLY cheap - Thailand - then wander?
    I would be very, very careful. Better to pay 15% and be very well covered in the event of any... dispute...
    Yes, good advice. I might go to an expert for an hour's guidance

However the HMRC website is pretty adamant that if you are only in the UK for less than 90 days, then you are deemed a non resident and won't be taxed. Black and white. The disputes seem to come when you stay more than 90 days in the UK but less than 183 and claim non resident status. That's when it gets iffy?

The HMRC website says nothing about you needing to prove you are tax resident elsewhere

The UK has a statutory residence rule based on a number of factors of which days resident in the UK is one.

If you cease to be UK tax resident but come back to the UK and become resident again within 6 years you can be stung for capital gains and income taxes on income and gains received whilst temporary non resident.

Domicile is different so you are likely to remain UK domiciled and thus subject to UK IHT.

This gets complicated quite quickly so good professional advice is always recommended.
    Yep, I definitely need a pro to talk me through this
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,722
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

You don't. Whatever
    You really still don't get this do you? There is no avoidance of tax. He and you are self employed. You can't just make yourself an employee. Go on try it. Next time your plumber turns up and you don't like his politics try telling him you are going to pay him under PAYE and you are going do a P60 for him at the end of the year and you are going to submit his tax an NI to HMRC. You are being daft.

And he didn't call the Tories Nazis. Facts eh. I know you have trouble with them.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,346
    Happy days! Just popped back from the pub. A great little evening - got involved in conversations with a seriously drunk Welshman and a seriously drunk Irish couple. Am I right in thinking that Leon's great discovery of a Brexit bonus has fallen apart?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

You don't. Whatever
    You really still don't get this do you? There is no avoidance of tax. He and you are self employed. You can't just make yourself an employee. Go on try it. Next time your plumber turns up and you don't like his politics try telling him you are going to pay him under PAYE and you are going do a P60 for him at the end of the year and you are going to submit his tax an NI to HMRC. You are being daft.

And he didn't call the Tories Nazis. Facts eh. I know you have trouble with them.
    It's quite weird how you are so desperate to defend him. It goes beyond political loyalty to a fellow lefty

He has done nothing illegal, that has been proven in the courts. Is he a screaming hypocrite? For sure. But we aren't going to concur on this and we are getting nowhere, so let's agree to disagree: I think you're a blatant moron, you think you're not, the middle option is that you're just a bit dim, so let's compromise on that, like gentlemen, and then we can end this silly and overlong debate

• Options
    edited April 2023

Happy days! Just popped back from the pub. A great little evening - got involved in conversations with a seriously drunk Welshman and a seriously drunk Irish couple. Am I right in thinking that Leon's great discovery of a Brexit bonus has fallen apart?

No, you are not. If anything the evening's debate makes it more lustrous. I need a sensible country with sensible tax laws to go to, so HMRC won't get all arsey on me

Spain looks increasingly desirable. 15%
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,426
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

nico679 said:

WillG said:

kjh said:

But Brexit has stopped a bunch of immigration: unskilled work visas. What it hasn't stopped is low skilled work visas because of the watering down of the skilled visa requirements. But the solution to that isn't to say "oh we should have kept more power with the political elite". It is to take more power back, by kicking the crap out of parties that don't reduce low skilled immigration.
    Brits think some jobs are beneath them so good luck with that . All the UK has done is swap immigration from the EU with much more immigration from elsewhere . At the same time robbing Brits of their freedom of movement to 27 other countries .
    This is so revealing of your own British exceptionalism, as if "Brits" are a cut above the rest.
    Plenty of British people do the kind of jobs that @nico679 thinks Brits regard as beneath them. Are they not really British? Should they leave the dirty work to foreigners and do something more befitting their status as Brits?
    That's not what I took from what he was saying. We have swapped one group of immigrants for another and in the process have lose our right to freedom of movement to 27 countries.
    Sounds like we have another Leaver leaving. Soon there will be more overseas than here, but the selfish hypocrites will still vote from their tax dodging lifestylesin the sun to prevent us rejoining.
    Just imagine the Brexiteer Euro party house: the DUP, Sir Jim Ratcliffe, Michelle Mone, Stanley Johnstone and Leon.
    No more Nigel Lawson to provide some minimal intellectual heft of course.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

nico679 said:

WillG said:

kjh said:

Sounds like we have another Leaver leaving. Soon there will be more overseas than here, but the selfish hypocrites will still vote from their tax dodging lifestylesin the sun to prevent us rejoining.
    Just imagine the Brexiteer Euro party house: the DUP, Sir Jim Ratcliffe, Michelle Mone, Stanley Johnstone and Leon.
    Also Mr Dyson? And Nigel Farage and his German wife

It does actually sound quite fun. Fucking weird, but fun. More fun than a dinner with the PB Nats, I'm afraid, even those who, er, live outside Scotland
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,272
    edited April 2023

Foxy said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

nico679 said:

WillG said:

kjh said:

Stanley was a Remainer.

Let's hope to God there's not a pool.
  • Options
    Leon said:

No, you are not. If anything the evening's debate makes it more lustrous. I need a sensible country with sensible tax laws to go to, so HMRC won't get all arsey on me

Lovely stuff. The one and only benefit of Brexit requires British citizens to emigrate.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Leon said:

Lovely stuff. The one and only benefit of Brexit requires British citizens to emigrate.
    Not only that: they must emigrate to a beautiful sunny corner of the EU. In Portugal, Greece, Spain or Croatia - where, as non-EU citizens, they will be paying much less tax than the EU locals. As I said much earlier this evening, the irony is indeed magnificent
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,722
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

You don't. Whatever

It's quite weird how you are so desperate to defend him. It goes beyond political loyalty to a fellow lefty

He has done nothing illegal, that has been proven in the courts. Is he a screaming hypocrite? For sure. But we aren't going to concur on this and we are getting nowhere, so let's agree to disagree: I think you're a blatant moron, you think you're not, the middle option is that you're just a bit dim, so let's compromise on that, like gentlemen, and then we can end this silly and overlong debate

a) I am not trying to defend him. I am simply pointing out you are as usual wrong. Sorry, as we have seen here recently, always wrong on everything.

b) You might not have noticed but I am not a lefty. Another error. Not bad going for one sentence.

c) You have ignored the fact that he is not a hypocrite (at least in this regard) because as far as his tax status is concerned he has not actively avoided tax (at least as far as we are aware)

d) I'm rather cuffed that we have got to the 'rather dim' insult . It is what you always resort to when out argued, in particular with @kinabalu . All rather predictable and flattering.

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Not only that: they must emigrate to a beautiful sunny corner of the EU. In Portugal, Greece, Spain or Croatia - where, as non-EU citizens, they will be paying much less tax than the EU locals. As I said much earlier this evening, the irony is indeed magnificent
    Fill ya boots!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,426
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

nico679 said:

WillG said:

kjh said:

Also Mr Dyson? And Nigel Farage and his German wife

It does actually sound quite fun. Fucking weird, but fun. More fun than a dinner with the PB Nats, I'm afraid, even those who, er, live outside Scotland
    If you're too feart to go to a PB get together, you'd shit yourself at the prospect of an evening of Nats.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    On topic it seems like Trump can't use the John Edwards defence - that the payoffs were to protect his personal reputation rather than for the campaign - because he tried to cheat one of the women out of her payout by stalling until after the election when it wouldn't matter.

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1643341834809122817
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,561
    kle4 said: "There was an Arthur C Clarke short story about British astronauts delaying a return to Earth following a moonbase mission in order to get tax advantages. People will do anything for a buck, eh?"

"A Question of Residence" (Which I read in his collection, "The Other Side of the Sky".)
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,561
    The "second woman" is probably Karen McDougal. https://patterico.com/2023/04/01/prediction-fwiw/
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 599
    Leon said:

Leon said:

@leon - move to Dubai - pay zero tax - then travel world using that as your base. Only stay there during say November and April when weather is perfect. Try and avoid the awful expat community
  • Options
    Penddu2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

@leon - move to Dubai - pay zero tax - then travel world using that as your base. Only stay there during say November and April when weather is perfect. Try and avoid the awful expat community
    I reckon Bangkok. More fun. Friends there. Surrounded by amazing places
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,200
    "An absolutely perfect phone call".

Trump has such a bizarre way of phrasing things.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,295
    Penddu2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It's also boring and expensive.

Especially for someone with @Leon's alcohol consumption.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,601
    Leon said:

Penddu2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I reckon Bangkok. More fun. Friends there. Surrounded by amazing places
    Being a sad expat living in Bangkok pretending that it represents some sort of life success would suit you down to the ground.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,295
    New thread
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,611
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

This is a really strange case

“Sean Hogg raped a 13 year old girl
    Judge Lord Lake saw fit to sentence Sean Hogg to:

- No prison time
    - 7 weeks community service (unpaid work)
    - 3 years on the sex offender registry

Rape in Scotland over the next 10 years will skyrocket because of this case”

https://twitter.com/themaxstoic/status/1643166062475722753?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

People on Twitter are blaming it on Progressive SNP Judicial Reforms. I have NO idea if this is true

It does seem remarkably lenient

Isn't it complicated because he was seventeen when the rape(s?) happened?
    Yes. The guidance now is that the male brain does not mature until you are 25 ( and you might think that optimistic on some cases) so you are more prone to impulsive behaviour and have poorer judgment. These are mitigating factors. But wow.
    If so, why let people vote or own property until 25.

That guideline is quite wrong. You don’t have to 25 to understand that rape is immoral.
    Frankly I'm possibly most shocked at the suggestion a 25 year old man who violently raped a thirteen year old girl would get no more than five years in prison.

I mean, what the fuck? In England that would be fourteen years before we even considered aggravating factors.

As for his being given community service, that's an actual joke. That's disgusting. And for him to appeal his sentence is even more disgusting.

Something seems appallingly wrong here.

Edit - maybe England is too ready to lock people up - the woman given two years for the death of that cyclist springs to mind - but this is actually obscene.
    I understand he was 17 she was 13.
    Yes, and the judge said *if* he had been 25 he would have been sentence to ‘four to five years in prison.’
This discussion has been closed.