Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Storm(y) in a D cup for Donald Trump – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,901
    Sandpit said:

Suggestion that Max was out of position at the last standing restart.

https://thumbsnap.com/Z2s8yMGn

Is anyone offering odds that the four men currently on the podium, will all end up with the the trophies with which they’re being presented?

F1 is lost on me. Not just the tedium of a high speed traffic jam, but also the deciding of who won in courtrooms by lawyers.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    MaxPB said:

Lol complete unforced error from Starmer in the Sunday Times this morning with that stupid 99.9% comment. It has been received very poorly and will do nothing to reassure women that 5heir sex based rights won't be eroded by a Labour government.

Yes totally wrong footed.

Now we need to know is Mrs Starmer one of the 0,1% ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,019
    F1: driver points still not updated on the official website. Presumably because they're waiting for the mists of ambiguity to clear.

As things stand, lovely result for Aston Martin with 3rd and 4th.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896
    edited April 2023
    MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Apparently this is not a parody John Redwood account, its an actual tweet... https://twitter.com/johnredwood/status/1642403656111669248?s=20

It is so utterly stupid it is actually funny, in a "I´d like to burn the Tory Party to the ground, plough their fields with salt and slaughter their first born" kind of way - and the voters will quite likely feel the same way.

One of our village Tories on PB was going on about how people would flock to places such as Skegness instead of nast furrin resorts. Brexit benefit.
    Whether out of choice or affordability, millions of people do holiday in Britain, so opposition parties should be a bit wary of these attacks.
    Yes, Labour need to be careful that they aren't pitching themselves as "too good" for a British holiday. It reopens the whole idea that Labour hate this country and can't wait to tell us that we're all racist because we don't hate it too.
    Labour aren’t commenting on this much if at all as far as I can see. It’s the rest of the country. Labour dare not mention the B word because they’re so frit of reopening the debate.

The Tories are still trying and failing to get their heads around their 2019 voter base. They seem to assume they all hate foreigners, long for the days of real binmen, eat pies and go on holiday to Skegness. I suspect it comes across as pretty patronising.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,260

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Apparently this is not a parody John Redwood account, its an actual tweet... https://twitter.com/johnredwood/status/1642403656111669248?s=20

It is so utterly stupid it is actually funny, in a "I´d like to burn the Tory Party to the ground, plough their fields with salt and slaughter their first born" kind of way - and the voters will quite likely feel the same way.

One of our village Tories on PB was going on about how people would flock to places such as Skegness instead of nast furrin resorts. Brexit benefit.
    Whether out of choice or affordability, millions of people do holiday in Britain, so opposition parties should be a bit wary of these attacks.
    Not sure it will be good for the tories for ever more people to experience our sewage filled beaches.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

There are indeed, excellent places to go on holiday in the UK.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

The feedback on the home counties campaign trail so far is certainly unnerving Tory MPs. Although some doors are no longer slammed in their faces, as they were under Boris Johnson, in many places lifelong Conservatives have a weary resignation that they are about to jump ship.

One mortgage-squeezed resident in Kent said that they’d “never been as angry” as when they’d read a report that Liz Truss intended to give peerages to those who served in her calamitous 49-day reign.

Even in leafy Sevenoaks, one Tory councillor is so worried they have embarked on an unprecedented “chicken run” from a usually solid Tory ward to stand in an area that they feel is even more safe.

As I posted yesterday the only safe Tory wards at the moment are in rural wards, which is where if there is a chicken run incumbents will be trying to move to.

Much as for Labour the only safe areas in 2019 were in the inner cities or some university towns
    In at least one borough council ward here, a RefUK candidate has turned up and is distributing leaflets - it'll be interesting see (on Tuesday when all candidacies are published) if there are any more, and how they get on. We have one Borough Councillor who defected from the Tories to independent, IIRC because she objected to the removal of Liz Truss. Not sure if she's standing for re-election.
    She may not have received as much support as she'd anticipted...

Although there will be one poster on here delighted with that stand!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Yes, Labour need to be careful that they aren't pitching themselves as "too good" for a British holiday. It reopens the whole idea that Labour hate this country and can't wait to tell us that we're all racist because we don't hate it too.
    Cant see Starmer or Thornberry spending a week in Blackpool
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,643
    Vodafone warned of ‘profound national security questions’ over merger with Chinese-owned Three
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/04/01/vodafone-warned-national-security-merger-chinese-three/ (£££)

Oddly, it is Iain Duncan Smith and the trade union Unite that is raising security questions because the government is asleep on the job.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,997

F1: driver points still not updated on the official website. Presumably because they're waiting for the mists of ambiguity to clear.

As things stand, lovely result for Aston Martin with 3rd and 4th.

The two Alpine drivers are with the stewards now. Gassy could be the first driver to get a race ban for totting up points on his licence.
  • Options
    Trump’s mentor was Roy Cohn, probably the nastiest figure in US politics and law, in recent times.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,019
    Mr. Sandpit, be bizarre if Gasly got one. And would cap a nightmarish race for Alpine.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

There are indeed, excellent places to go on holiday in the UK.
    Yes there are. So people should just stay here? Grant them rationed permits to travel perhaps.

It’s like a parody of how right wingers interpret 15 minute cities.
  • Options
    TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Labour aren’t commenting on this much if at all as far as I can see. It’s the rest of the country. Labour dare not mention the B word because they’re so frit of reopening the debate.

The Tories are still trying and failing to get their heads around their 2019 voter base. They seem to assume they all hate foreigners, long for the days of real binmen, eat pies and go on holiday to Skegness. I suspect it’s pretty patronising.
    As opposed to be seen as thick, white racists Gammons which is the way a lot of Labour party members seem to view such voters?

You don't vote for someone who despises you, in fact you vote for their opponent even if it is not in your best interests.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

So, just checked in on Twitter. None of the Dover delay noise is coming from Labour politicians.
  • Options
    TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

The Tories are still trying and failing to get their heads around their 2019 voter base. They seem to assume they all hate foreigners, long for the days of real binmen, eat pies and go on holiday to Skegness. I suspect it comes across as pretty patronising.
    In my experience there are three main groups of people who holiday domestically. Those to old or frail to travel with insurance, those too poor to, and the rich. I am off to the Isle of Wight for Easter, and will see all three on the ferry.

Some of the poshest people I know always holiday in Britain.

• Options

MaxPB said:

Lol complete unforced error from Starmer in the Sunday Times this morning with that stupid 99.9% comment. It has been received very poorly and will do nothing to reassure women that 5heir sex based rights won't be eroded by a Labour government.

Yes totally wrong footed.

Now we need to know is Mrs Starmer one of the 0,1% ?
    "Hello Kier, close your eyes and turn around. I've got a big surprise for you..."
  • Options
    TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

So, just checked in on Twitter. None of the Dover delay noise is coming from Labour politicians.
    Of course not.

They fly.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Whereas the Tories love the country so much that they decided to inflict the entirely unnecessary self-inflicted harm of Brexit upon it.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,822
    MaxPB said:

It was telling that he went to Kent and didn’t meet Labour’s ONLY MP in Kent - Rosie Duffield - she’s been consistent in standing up for women’s rights.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Or alternatively, whether out of choice or affordability (British holiday accommodation is extremely expensive compared with France), millions of people go abroad and don’t like being told not to, so government should be a bit wary with these attacks.

I enjoyed the replies to Redwood. Very notable theme in there, which was sewage. Lib Dems have been hitting this hard in recent months. I think it could be a media theme of the summer this year.
    It's been said before but be wary of seeing Twitter as Vox Populi. It is very much a niche, middle class urban pursuit. Twitter usage in the media industry for example is 5-6x the general population.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,822
    ASHFORD: Damian Green had been selected as Conservative candidate for the revised Ashford seat, having failed in his earlier attempt to move to the new Weald of Kent constituency.

https://twitter.com/tomorrowsmps/status/1641896539936247816?s=20
  • Options

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

The Tories are still trying and failing to get their heads around their 2019 voter base. They seem to assume they all hate foreigners, long for the days of real binmen, eat pies and go on holiday to Skegness. I suspect it’s pretty patronising.
    As opposed to be seen as thick, white racists Gammons which is the way a lot of Labour party members seem to view such voters?

You don't vote for someone who despises you, in fact you vote for their opponent even if it is not in your best interests.
    We’re constructing big fat straw men here.

1. Labour politicians are notably quiet on Dover (because they’re cowards on anything Brexit related). If you want to criticise people who dare to have the aspiration to actually cross a border and then complain about it then go after the FBPEs
    2. The cloth cap wearing lard eating gammon / salt of the earth family with ripe views on foreigners is a very small demographic and largely a figment of the imagination of both Tory strategists and metropolitan lefties.

• Options
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

In my experience there are three main groups of people who holiday domestically. Those to old or frail to travel with insurance, those too poor to, and the rich. I am off to the Isle of Wight for Easter, and will see all three on the ferry.

Most people I know do both, and wouldn’t be very happy to be forced to choose.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It was telling that he went to Kent and didn’t meet Labour’s ONLY MP in Kent - Rosie Duffield - she’s been consistent in standing up for women’s rights.
    Yes but if Keir has a penis, how do we know he's not Labour's first female leader ?

He should clarify his position.
  • Options

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Of course not.

They fly.
    I see it’s Labour = too aspirational day.

Tomorrow it’ll be Labour lack aspiration.

Then we’ll be back to Labour too aspirational again, depending purely on how the story of the day reflects on the Tories
  • Options

TimS said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Or alternatively, whether out of choice or affordability (British holiday accommodation is extremely expensive compared with France), millions of people go abroad and don’t like being told not to, so government should be a bit wary with these attacks.

I enjoyed the replies to Redwood. Very notable theme in there, which was sewage. Lib Dems have been hitting this hard in recent months. I think it could be a media theme of the summer this year.
    It's been said before but be wary of seeing Twitter as Vox Populi. It is very much a niche, middle class urban pursuit. Twitter usage in the media industry for example is 5-6x the general population.
    I said I think it could be a media theme of the summer this year.

Media theme.

Twitter is a useful reflection of what journalists are thinking and reading,
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Of course not.

They fly.
    I see it’s Labour = too aspirational day.

Tomorrow it’ll be Labour lack aspiration.

Then we’ll be back to Labour too aspirational again, depending purely on how the story of the day reflects on the Tories
    Thats the news cycle Tim, welcome to it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Whereas the Tories love the country so much that they decided to inflict the entirely unnecessary self-inflicted harm of Brexit upon it.
    Interesting that you conflate "the Tories" with "the voters".

Boris got 13.9m votes in 2019. Imagine if all those 17.4m who voted for Brexit had done the same then....
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,036
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Which of the three categories do you consider yourself to be in, @Foxy?
  • Options

Foxy said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Sure. Domestic holidays are often in addition to foreign ones, not in place of.

I should add: people with dogs often holiday domestically too.
  • Options

Foxy said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Kind of know the government has no answers to the actual problem: more bureaucracy at the ports because every passport needs stamping + insufficient capacity to do said stamping because the government refuses to invest meaningfully into the border infrastructure….when their answer is “just stay at home”.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

But they have to get some use out of those second homes....
  • Options
    Transphobia to start the morning on PB, nice.

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,036
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Sure. Domestic holidays are often in addition to foreign ones, not in place of.

I should add: people with dogs often holiday domestically too.
    That’s why Mrs. F and I holiday domestically.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Boris got 13.9m votes in 2019. Imagine if all those 17.4m who voted for Brexit had done the same then....
    The series of deliberate choices about the nature of the exit and what that would mean for short term travel, plus the decision not to spend what was needed to upgrade border facilities at Dover, were both under the 100% ownership on the current government not the people of Britain.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    WRT Red Wall constituencies, most are fairly prosperous, with lots of new housing. They are mostly not depressed areas.

Corbyn simply nudged the inhabitants into realising they had more in common with the Conservatives than with Labour, but many of these seats had been trending Conservative since 2001.

Come the next election, I’d expect Aaron Bell to hold his seat.
  • Options

Foxy said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Which of the three categories do you consider yourself to be in, @Foxy?
    Rich and dog owner!

I am in the top 1% income wise.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    Sean_F said:

WRT Red Wall constituencies, most are fairly prosperous, with lots of new housing. They are mostly not depressed areas.

Corbyn simply nudged the inhabitants into realising they had more in common with the Conservatives than with Labour, but many of these seats had been trending Conservative since 2001.

True, but it might not stick.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,389
    edited April 2023
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

I have just has a week on the IOW in a Lodge in Freshwater. It's a case of necessity when you have a very aged father in law living with you for whom steps are pretty much a no no Take your wine with you if it suits your purpose. We found it 20pc more expensive on the Island. If you haven't been..... The Military Road is the best road that runs up the west side of the Island and has lovely sea views.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Suggestion that Max was out of position at the last standing restart.

https://thumbsnap.com/Z2s8yMGn

Is anyone offering odds that the four men currently on the podium, will all end up with the the trophies with which they’re being presented?

F1 is lost on me. Not just the tedium of a high speed traffic jam, but also the deciding of who won in courtrooms by lawyers.
    They lost me when they introduced the computer-game element of DRS.
  • Options
    One of the greatest examples of a Venn daigram with virtually no overlap is that of "Islington residents" and "those who holiday in Skegness".
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

True, but it might not stick.
    Mostly, I expect they will, the same way seats like NW Leics. or Tamworth were once marginal, but now solidly Conservative.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

This was interesting from the Observer today, in a rather patronising piece on "Stevenage Woman"

"But the new report says that voters with the characteristics of Workington Man – mainly older male, economically insecure and overwhelmingly pro-Brexit voters – have already abandoned the Tories.

While 49% voted for Boris Johnson in 2019, the analysts say this has collapsed to 15%. On this trajectory, the report says: “If the support Labour currently receives from this group were mirrored on election day, Labour would win back every one of its 30 lost red wall seats.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/01/stevenage-woman-vital-to-labour-success-at-next-election-analysts-say
  • Options

Foxy said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

I have just has a week on the IOW in a Lodge in Freshwater. It's a case of necessity when you have a very aged father in law living with you for whom steps are pretty much a no no Take your wine with you if it suits your purpose. We found it 20pc more expensive on the Island. If you haven't been..... The Military Road is the best road that runs up the west side of the Island and has lovely sea views.
    Yes, I love the Island, and have been going several times a year for 30 years. Mrs Foxy has lots of family there, though alas is now an orphan.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,177

CD13 said:

Excuse my ignorance but what criminal charge has Trump been charged with? He had sexual relations with Stormy Daniels which he denies. It doesn't seem to be rape, even if it's bad taste on her part. She attempted ro sell the story but had no takers, and he supposedly paid her hush-money.

Who loses? A victimless crime. He deserves to lose the money for his studidity, and as far as I can see, no blackmail was involved, so she's committed no crime.

The whole thing may be a crime against morality, but greed and adultery haven't been criminalised. Nor has political incompetence.

We don't know for sure what the charges are: Having sex with a porn star is legal in the US, as is paying her not to talk about it. They're thought to include campaign finance violations (because he allegedly disguised the payment as a company legal expense) and tax evasion (for related reasons). John Edwards was prosecuted for similar reasons, but was found not guilty of most of the charges, IIUC because the prosecution couldn't prove he made the payoffs for political reasons rather than just as to protect his personal reputation.

We should get to see the indictment on Tuesday US time, when he's formally charged. Until we do be skeptical of people who claim to know whether the case is strong or weak.
    The other thing to bear in mind is that multiple inditements aren’t necessarily a sign of a strong case - DAs sometimes pile them on to encourage a plea bargain to avoid defending on multiple fronts and encourage a concession on a minor charge. Much as it’s pretty useless thank goodness for the CPS.
    Not the Scottish version, though they do pile on the pointless charges, ie on Salmond they had a sexual charge against him for opening a bottle of sparkling water, how did that ever reach court. They make their money very easily.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,890

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

More Ed Balls and Ann Widdecombe. Not together I should add. Nor should anyone investigate what they may look like together on certain types of AI.......
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,617

One of the greatest examples of a Venn daigram with virtually no overlap is that of "Islington residents" and "those who holiday in Skegness".

Aren't you in Devon? Much demand there for Skegness holidays?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Yes, it's a poor tweet in the sense that telling people they can holiday in the UK is not a solution to the problem of the delays, anymore than telling people they can shop online rather than pay parking charges, since however true people wanted to do the former, but it came across as over dramatic for a start. Like how it may be annoying and unnecessary to have to be in a slower passport queue, but still not as harrowing as people make it seem.
    Stuck in a bus in a queue for a day + seems exceedingly harrowing to me.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,711
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

One interesting aspect of Cornwall that is not mentioned in middle class need is the large caravan parks - often, effectively fixed caravan homes. People have been holidaying there long before it got fashionable.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

This was interesting from the Observer today, in a rather patronising piece on "Stevenage Woman"

"But the new report says that voters with the characteristics of Workington Man – mainly older male, economically insecure and overwhelmingly pro-Brexit voters – have already abandoned the Tories.

While 49% voted for Boris Johnson in 2019, the analysts say this has collapsed to 15%. On this trajectory, the report says: “If the support Labour currently receives from this group were mirrored on election day, Labour would win back every one of its 30 lost red wall seats.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/01/stevenage-woman-vital-to-labour-success-at-next-election-analysts-say
    But it won’t be mirrored on election day, because that’s when many people decide to stick with the devil they know. I think too, the article misses my point that quite a lot of Red Wall voters have done pretty well for themselves.

• Options

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

And interesting that you don’t dispute it’s been harmful.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

ASHFORD: Damian Green had been selected as Conservative candidate for the revised Ashford seat, having failed in his earlier attempt to move to the new Weald of Kent constituency.

https://twitter.com/tomorrowsmps/status/1641896539936247816?s=20

Interesting demographic in that picture - 20 out of 21 are male. In general I think these "group of activists posing in a room" pictures (which all parties do all the time) don't work - it makes us look divorced from everyday life.
  • Options

I look forward to more comments from PB posters who report on their extensive and frequent global travel along the lines of "what's wrong with staying in the UK for your holidays?".

Just go by private jet to avoid the queues.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Starmer spending time in Blackpool is significantly more credible than Sunak, Johnson or Rees-Mogg spending time in Blackpool.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,645

I look forward to more comments from PB posters who report on their extensive and frequent global travel along the lines of "what's wrong with staying in the UK for your holidays?".

Just go by private jet to avoid the queues.
    I honestly can't think of anything worse than a coach trip overseas. I'd much rather do a domestic holiday or just fly somewhere.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

And interesting that you don’t dispute it’s been harmful.
    Far too soon to tell.

Although on Covid vaccines, it proved quite clear that Remaining would have been harmful to UK residents.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,704
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Yes, it's a poor tweet in the sense that telling people they can holiday in the UK is not a solution to the problem of the delays, anymore than telling people they can shop online rather than pay parking charges, since however true people wanted to do the former, but it came across as over dramatic for a start. Like how it may be annoying and unnecessary to have to be in a slower passport queue, but still not as harrowing as people make it seem.
    Stuck in a bus in a queue for a day + seems exceedingly harrowing to me.
    Yep. I used to use the tunnel a lot in the past. It was very slick, but when it goes wrong boy does it go wrong. Happened to us twice and not pleasant. Luckily that was twice out of dozens of trips.

And following on from my rant yesterday about pot holes and closed roads around here, in the afternoon I left the village for the A3 and yep the road was closed again.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,643

MaxPB said:

Rosie Duffield in Kent?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Excuse my ignorance but what criminal charge has Trump been charged with? He had sexual relations with Stormy Daniels which he denies. It doesn't seem to be rape, even if it's bad taste on her part. She attempted ro sell the story but had no takers, and he supposedly paid her hush-money.

Who loses? A victimless crime. He deserves to lose the money for his studidity, and as far as I can see, no blackmail was involved, so she's committed no crime.

The whole thing may be a crime against morality, but greed and adultery haven't been criminalised. Nor has political incompetence.

We don't know for sure what the charges are: Having sex with a porn star is legal in the US, as is paying her not to talk about it. They're thought to include campaign finance violations (because he allegedly disguised the payment as a company legal expense) and tax evasion (for related reasons). John Edwards was prosecuted for similar reasons, but was found not guilty of most of the charges, IIUC because the prosecution couldn't prove he made the payoffs for political reasons rather than just as to protect his personal reputation.

We should get to see the indictment on Tuesday US time, when he's formally charged. Until we do be skeptical of people who claim to know whether the case is strong or weak.
    The other thing to bear in mind is that multiple inditements aren’t necessarily a sign of a strong case - DAs sometimes pile them on to encourage a plea bargain to avoid defending on multiple fronts and encourage a concession on a minor charge. Much as it’s pretty useless thank goodness for the CPS.
    Not the Scottish version, though they do pile on the pointless charges, ie on Salmond they had a sexual charge against him for opening a bottle of sparkling water, how did that ever reach court. They make their money very easily.
    The rules in Scotland are quite strict in that you cannot lead evidence of any criminal offence by the accused that is not on the indictment. This means that a lot of relatively minor charges are often added to the indictment so that the complainers can tell their story in a consistent way without big holes in the middle. So, for example, if it was alleged that the accused had got a girl to come home with him because he was offering her drugs then there has to be a charge of being concerned in the supply of the drug, even if there is no corroboration of that because it allows her to explain how she ended up in his flat.

What usually happens at the end of the Crown case is that the rubbish gets cleared out by the Crown withdrawing those charges so the jury (and the judge in his charge) can focus on what we are actually there for.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Starmer spending time in Blackpool is significantly more credible than Sunak, Johnson or Rees-Mogg spending time in Blackpool.
    Oh I don't know, I can see Rees-Mogg having enormous fun on Blackpool beach, as Nanny made his sandcastles....
  • Options

The same applies to the part of Devon you live in so what is your point exactly?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    Good discussion of the Trump indictment with Paul Krishnamurty:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzzPOvoS7Fc
  • Options
    The periodic Tories as true working class heroes discourse is of course silly, but there is a thread through history since at least the reformation that this belongs to.

It’s the bourgeois middle class with their dangerous ideas disrupting the stable feudal order with the squire in his manor and the happy peasants in their cottages. And there’s something to it, it’s not completely fabricated. I remember the countryside alliance marches.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,718
    MaxPB said:

The Tedious Tactical Triangulator strike again

Follow follow follow
  • Options
    OllyT said:

The same applies to the part of Devon you live in so what is your point exactly?
    Plenty of Islington residents go to the South Hams. As do residents of the Red Wall.

The reason is pretty obvious. South Devon has warm weather, pretty scenery, cream teas and swimmable sea.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

You can hardly expect people to travel another 250 miles further than those in Islington to go to Skegness. Why would they, anyway, when they have such loveliness in abundance on their doorsteps?*

Devon attracts people from all over England. At least there is some mixing between the regions here. We have even had people from Middlesbrough come to stay.

When they could simply have gone to South Gare.

(*There is some considerable poverty down here in the SW too. Even a holiday in Butlins or Pontins is beyond the reach of a surprising number of folk.)
  • Options
    I think I’m the only PBer who regularly holidays in Blackpool.

Later on this summer in the space of six weeks I’ll be holidaying in both Blackpool and Claridge’s.

#ManOfThePeople
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,997

OllyT said:

You can hardly expect people to travel another 250 miles further than those in Islington to go to Skegness. Why would they, anyway, when they have such loveliness in abundance on their doorsteps?*

Devon attracts people from all over England. At least there is some mixing between the regions here. We have even had people from Middlesbrough come to stay.

(*There is some considerable poverty down here in the SW too. Even a holiday in Butlins or Pontins is beyond the reach of a surprising number of folk.)
    Does a week in Butlins or Pontine during the school holidays, not work out considerably more expensive than a week in Majorca or Lanzarote?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,877
    OllyT said:

There is a huge difference however between someone who lives on the coast who will more often be looking to holiday in a city because its a change and someone who lives in a city who would find a coastal resort a refreshing change.

I to live in Devon now and going on holiday I can't imagine why I would choose a coastal destination either here or abroad. London , Paris, Amsterdam maybe but not skegness or Nice
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,330
    On the subject of politicians and holiday destinations, does Dave still do the regular Cornwall thing now he's no longer in frontline politics?
  • Options

OllyT said:

If it's OK for Devon folk to shun Skegness because there are nicer places nearer at hand then why does that not apply to someone living in Islington?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,718
    I find domestic holidays more relaxing and less stressful with kids, quite frankly.

It's the weather that the disappointment. But, that's the deal.
  • Options

On the subject of politicians and holiday destinations, does Dave still do the regular Cornwall thing now he's no longer in frontline politics?

He does.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,184

Disjoint sets. They are mutually repulsive.

• Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,464
    Sean_F said:

Come the next election, I’d expect Aaron Bell to hold his seat.

The Eye seems to think the MP for Newcastle-under-Lyme has taken nearly 10 grands worth of sweeties from the gambling industry.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,058
    edited April 2023
    Cicero said:

What's wrong with suggesting holidaying in the UK?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,982
    In my part of Devon, visitors from the Midlands dominate. You hear a lot more Brummie and Black Country accents in Sidmouth, Ludrum Bay and Exmouth than you do London ones. Basically because the M5 makes it a relatively easy journey. Same with North Devon and Somerset coastal towns.

Londoners tend to head south to Kent, Sussex, Hampshire and Bournemouth on the M2 and M3, or east to Southend and Clacton. Not sure why you’d expect them to flock to Blackpool or Skegness.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Cicero said:

What on earth is wrong with suggesting holidaying in the UK?
    Disneyland Hartlepool really isn’t that good.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,184

MaxPB said:

The Tedious Tactical Triangulator strike again

Follow follow follow
    Down to the hollow, and there we can wallow in mud, glorious mud

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,704
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

The rules in Scotland are quite strict in that you cannot lead evidence of any criminal offence by the accused that is not on the indictment. This means that a lot of relatively minor charges are often added to the indictment so that the complainers can tell their story in a consistent way without big holes in the middle. So, for example, if it was alleged that the accused had got a girl to come home with him because he was offering her drugs then there has to be a charge of being concerned in the supply of the drug, even if there is no corroboration of that because it allows her to explain how she ended up in his flat.

What usually happens at the end of the Crown case is that the rubbish gets cleared out by the Crown withdrawing those charges so the jury (and the judge in his charge) can focus on what we are actually there for.
    Well you learn something everyday. Thanks for that @DavidL
  • Options

In my part of Devon, visitors from the Midlands dominate. You hear a lot more Brummie and Black Country accents in Sidmouth, Ludrum Bay and Exmouth than you do London ones. Basically because the M5 makes it a relatively easy journey. Same with North Devon and Somerset coastal towns.

Londoners tend to head south to Kent, Sussex, Hampshire and Bournemouth on the M2 and M3, or east to Southend and Clacton. Not sure why you’d expect them to flock to Blackpool or Skegness.

Strangely I do have someone from Skegness coming down to stay with me in Exmouth late July but that is more because I have a friend from New Orleans coming to stay for a couple of weeks and they are also friends. Just seemed oddly random people talking of holidaying, devon and skegness on this thread :)
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,945

I find domestic holidays more relaxing and less stressful with kids, quite frankly.

It's the weather that the disappointment. But, that's the deal.

We’re going to Orkney this summer. Time to pray to the weather gods.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,426
    MaxPB said:

Maybe, just maybe, it's the likes of yourself: the OK Boomers and beyond who are completely out of sync on this.

It's tiresome in the extreme that so many of you 60+ people are so utterly obsessed with such a minority issue, dragging out the same tired old persecutions that were used to assault gay rights forty years ago.

Trans women are women but there are also multiple types of gender expression as well as sex. Just get fucking over it.

p.s. as for Rosie Duffield, the issues with her are not simply on this. She has been a godawful MP on multiple points.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,982
    Pagan2 said:

Strangely I do have someone from Skegness coming down to stay with me in Exmouth late July but that is more because I have a friend from New Orleans coming to stay for a couple of weeks and they are also friends. Just seemed oddly random people talking of holidaying, devon and skegness on this thread :)
    There’s always one!

• Options
    Heathener said:

MaxPB said:

Maybe, just maybe, it's the likes of yourself: the OK Boomers and beyond who are completely out of sync on this.

It's tiresome in the extreme that so many of you 60+ people are so utterly obsessed with such a minority issue, dragging out the same tired old persecutions that were used to assault gay rights forty years ago.

Trans women are women but there are also multiple types of gender expression as well as sex. Just get fucking over it.

p.s. as for Rosie Duffield, the issues with her are not simply on this. She has been a godawful MP on multiple points.
    Bollocks, desperate if you do not even understand basic biology. Did someone hit you on the head with that flask.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited April 2023
    The Venn diagram that matches between "Tory politicians ' holidays and skegness", one has to suspect, is well likely to be even smaller than the Islington residents one.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,645
    Heathener said:

MaxPB said:

Nope, as we saw in Scotland, the public are with me. Women don't have cocks, not even 0.1% of them.
  • Options

The Venn diagram that matches between "Tory politicians ' holidays and skegness", one has to suspect, is well likely to be even smaller than the Islington residents one.

Well there would be at least some intersectionality on the tory mp skegness axis as the mp for skegness is a tory
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262

Weston SuperMud was famously the shortest seaside drive from Birmingham back in the day. Not sure if that's still true with modern roads. I went a few years ago, and it was a bit grim. Good fish & chips though.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

In Salmond's case they were all rubbish lies and the jury threw them all out despite the best efforts of the crown, government , police and civil service
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Sandpit said:

OllyT said:

Does a week in Butlins or Pontine during the school holidays, not work out considerably more expensive than a week in Majorca or Lanzarote?
    Definitely not Pontins. 7 nights in their basic accommodation in July around £200-300. Bring your own cleaning gear (and flip flops to avoid contact with the flooring).

Somewhere like centreparcs, absolutely more expensive.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited April 2023
    malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

MaxPB said:

Bollocks, desperate if you do not even understand basic biology. Did someone hit you on the head with that flask.
    I feel rather sorry for people with intersex conditions. They’re a tiny proportion of the population - and only a small proportion of trans people (and many don’t even identify as trans). The politicised debate puts them in a really difficult and stressful position.
  • Options
    test

• Options
    OldBasingOldBasing Posts: 170
    If they go for a May 2024 election, the queues at Dover will be happening next year in the 4-6 weeks before that election.... might be best to go for an autumn date.
  • Options
    ping said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

MaxPB said:

I feel rather sorry for people with intersex conditions. They’re a tiny proportion of the population - and only a small proportion of trans people (and many don’t even identify as trans). The politicised debate puts them in a really difficult position.
    ping said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

MaxPB said:

I feel rather sorry for people with intersex conditions. They’re a tiny proportion of the population - and only a small proportion of trans people (and many don’t even identify as trans). The politicised debate puts them in a really difficult position.
    Totally agree and it is idiots like that and other government sponsored charities etc that are causing all the trouble and making it dangerous for minority groups.
  • Options
    ping said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

MaxPB said:

I feel rather sorry for people with intersex conditions. They’re a tiny proportion of the population - and only a small proportion of trans people (and many don’t even identify as trans). The politicised debate puts them in a really difficult and stressful position.
    No, its the transphobes and genitalia obsessives who make their life a misery.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,403
    edited April 2023

By geography alone Lincolnshire is a little out of the way. The Kent, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk coastline would make way more sense. Anyway the doughty burghers of Islington would have no rights to stay at the Miners' Welfare Holiday Camp, having never been miners (is the Miners' Welfare still there by the way?).

And with all due respects I would be surprised if you are the sort of guy who frequents the Lumley Road Co-op to procure your flagon of White Lightening to lubricate the tonsils while consuming your pie and chips. Of course I may be completely wrong.
This discussion has been closed.