Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Storm(y) in a D cup for Donald Trump – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,717
edited April 2023 in General
Storm(y) in a D cup for Donald Trump – politicalbetting.com

First post-indictment poll has Trump gaining nearly 20 points of ground over DeSantis relative to YouGov’s last survey of the race two week’s ago https://t.co/Q0p9l0Vvjz pic.twitter.com/MWulp7gkvk

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    Riddle me this PB:

Everyones best guess is that the Dems think by prosecuting Trump in NYC in 2023 it'll ensure he'll become the GOP candidate in 2024 and Biden will beat him in the Creepy Donald Vs Sleepy Joe 2024 V2 general election 24.

But what happens if Biden dies between now and Nov 24? Given he is very, very, very old and very obviously senile it could happen right?

In which case it could finish up Donald Vs Kamala by default, yes? But then what the hell would happen???

As it's Wrestlemania weekend... In the words of Jake "The Snake" Roberts from one of his greatest WWF promos in the 80s... Oh what a wicked web you weave if at first you labour to deceive...🕸🕸🕸

It seems to me the Dems are playing for very high stakes now and this could very easily backfire...
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,649
    edited April 2023
    GIN1138 said:

Riddle me this PB:

Everyones best guess is that the Dems think by prosecuting Trump in NYC in 2023 it'll ensure he'll become the GOP candidate in 2024 and Biden will beat him in the Creepy Donald Vs Sleepy Joe 2024 V2 general election 24.

But what happens if Biden dies between now and Nov 24? Given he is very, very, very old and very obviously senile it could happen right?

In which case it could finish up Donald Vs Kamala by default, yes? But then what the hell would happen???

As it's Wrestlemania weekend... In the words of Jake "The Snake" Roberts from one of his greatest WWF promos in the 80s... Oh what a wicked web you weave if at first you labour to deceive...🕸🕸🕸

It seems to me the Dems are playing for very high stakes now and this could very easily backfire...

Biden is not much older than Trump and is not "very obviously senile". Of course, this does not mean he is immortal. But in any case, I doubt there is any overarching Democrat conspiracy along the lines you suggest.

Joe Biden is 2/5 to be the next Democrat candidate which is basically the price on his mortality. To win the election itself, 9/4 Biden, 11/4 Trump, 4/1 DeSantis and 33/1 Harris. Winning party is 4/5 Republican, 5/4 Democrat.

ETA prices taken from Oddschecker; I've not checked for price boosts, or looked at the exchanges.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,824
    The WSJ has removed the paywall from all the articles of their reporter arrested in Russia “as a spy” (sic)

https://www.wsj.com/news/author/evan-gershkovich
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,320
    edited April 2023

GIN1138 said:

Riddle me this PB:

Biden is not much older than Trump and is not "very obviously senile". Of course, this does not mean he is immortal. But in any case, I doubt there is any overarching Democrat conspiracy along the lines you suggest.

Joe Biden is 2/5 to be the next Democrat candidate which is basically the price on his mortality. To win the election itself, 9/4 Biden, 11/4 Trump, 4/1 DeSantis and 33/1 Harris. Winning party is 4/5 Republican, 5/4 Democrat.

ETA prices taken from Oddschecker; I've not checked for price boosts, or looked at the exchanges.
    The above odds suggest Biden has a 43% chance of winning the GE if he is the Dem candidate.

Doesn't that seem a bit low - ie an incumbent would normally have a greater than 50% chance in a GE (ie once it's known they are their party's candidate).
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,997
    Trump has raised $4m in the past week.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/04/01/donald-trump-campaign-donations-indictment/

He’s going to own the events of next week too - expect his team to be selling t-shirts of his mugshot, with “Trump 2024” emblazoned underneath, within hours.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

Riddle me this PB:

The above odds suggest Biden has a 43% chance of winning the GE if he is the Dem candidate.

Doesn't that seem a bit low - ie an incumbent would normally have a greater than 50% chance in a GE (ie once it's known they are their party's candidate).
    I don't think that is quite correct. You can get 5/4 against the Democrats (any Democrat) winning the White House which is about 44%. It might be that the price for Biden to win (although we do not yet know he will be on the ticket) at 9/4 is out of line.

Basically, we have:
    Biden 9/4 or 31%
    Trump 11/4 or 27%
    DeDantis 4/1 or 20%

But that leaves 22% unaccounted for, so another Democrat or another Republican.

Many commentators have a rock, paper, scissors model: Biden beats Trump, Trump beats DeSantis, DeSantis beats Biden. I'm afraid it is all too complicated for this bear of little brain.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,991
    GIN1138 said:

Riddle me this PB:

That is to assume that decisions to prusecute criminals are purely political and within control if the national party.

As far as state prosecutions are concerned, that simply wrong. And even at the Federal level, where clearly the administration has far more influence on policy, the current administration maintains far more distance between its executive and legal functions than did its predecessor.

You riddle is based on a false premise.

• Options
    The Dutch shunt is complaining that Lewis Hamilton pushed him wide.

I think I may damage a rib laughing.
  • Options
    On Transgender Day of Visibility, we want you to know that we see you just as you are:

Made in the image of God and deserving of dignity, respect, and support.

We'll never stop working to create a world where you won't have to be brave just to be yourself.

https://mobile.twitter.com/POTUS/status/1641798763390943232
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,669
    edited April 2023
    While Sunak is expected to have a few days of peace and quiet over the Easter weekend, any relief is likely to be short-lived. According to senior Whitehall sources, Adam Tolley KC, the barrister leading the probe into bullying allegations against Dominic Raab, is expected to have concluded his report into the controversy by mid-April.

A copy is expected to be one of the first items to land on Sunak’s desk when parliament resumes on April 17. That may force a new reshuffle, though the PM’s closest aides deny rumours that he is plotting wider changes to get his election team in place.

Sunak also needs to appoint a replacement for Michelle Donelan as secretary of state for science when she goes on maternity leave. Julia Lopez, a minister in Donelan’s department, is also pregnant and expected to take maternity leave.

After months of delay, Boris Johnson’s resignation honours list is also expected to follow soon after. It is understood that Sunak is not likely to reject or cut Johnson or Truss’s resignation honours lists, which some people have called for as a way of signalling that his is a cleaner administration.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-building-storms-that-threaten-to-blow-buoyant-rishi-sunak-off-course-2fbfkd90w
  • Options
    Russell leads Australian GP.
    Safety car.
  • Options
    Verstappen whining again.
  • Options
    This race is going to be worth getting up early.
  • Options
    Safety again...
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Ballsy call by Russell.

Or the team just screwed him ?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Going to be an interesting restart - the Red Bull looks quicker than the Merc.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Ballsy call by Russell.

Or the team just screwed him ?

Entirely dependent on if there's another safety car.

OOOOH RED FLAG.

Russell screwed.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Yes, Russell totally screwed.

And Mercedes' chances of a win.
    They can't double team Verstappen now.

Would have been a decent gamble has it remained a safety.

The red flag call is pretty questionable, too.
  • Options
    Red flag ruins Russell’s day.
  • Options
    For anyone who got up really early, or lives in a better time zone, the F2 race this morning was brilliant. It’ll likely be replayed later today.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    .‘Unfit for purpose’: Ofsted could face legal challenge from school leaders
    As anger mounts over headteacher’s suicide, group bids for judicial review into inconsistencies of rulings by watchdog
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/apr/02/unfit-for-purpose-ofsted-could-face-legal-challenge-from-school-leaders

With this kind of crap happening, challenging Ofsted is essential.

...Price Grimshaw is fiercely critical of the focus in the current Ofsted inspectionguidelines on what children say in discussion with inspectors. She says many children are nervous when talking to adults they don’t know, and in some cases questions have been “leading or even unreasonable”.

She described an inspection she saw where the inspector pulled out two nervous children with special educational needs to talk about a history lesson. Price Grimshaw and the teachers warned the inspector that these children might struggle with questions, but “she didn’t seem to care”.

“She said: ‘So girls, tell me five things about the Romans,’” Price Grimshaw recalled. “One girl started shaking and the other couldn’t say anything. She claimed this was evidence that the teaching in the lesson wasn’t working.”...

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,561
    The feedback on the home counties campaign trail so far is certainly unnerving Tory MPs. Although some doors are no longer slammed in their faces, as they were under Boris Johnson, in many places lifelong Conservatives have a weary resignation that they are about to jump ship.

One mortgage-squeezed resident in Kent said that they’d “never been as angry” as when they’d read a report that Liz Truss intended to give peerages to those who served in her calamitous 49-day reign.

Even in leafy Sevenoaks, one Tory councillor is so worried they have embarked on an unprecedented “chicken run” from a usually solid Tory ward to stand in an area that they feel is even more safe.
  • Options
    Great stuff from Russell.
    Looks the real deal.
  • Options
    Red Bull just too fast.
    The car looks almost like a different formula.

Explains the Mercedes gamble.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,389
    Is Stormy only a D cup.. I feel disappointed.
  • Options
    Is George Russell driving for Ferrari today?
  • Options
    Virtual safety car when it’s Max in the lead.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It's just the correct call for a pitlane closure.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Michael Masi is at the race this weekend.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,320
    edited April 2023

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

Riddle me this PB:

I don't think that is quite correct. You can get 5/4 against the Democrats (any Democrat) winning the White House which is about 44%. It might be that the price for Biden to win (although we do not yet know he will be on the ticket) at 9/4 is out of line.

Basically, we have:
    Biden 9/4 or 31%
    Trump 11/4 or 27%
    DeDantis 4/1 or 20%

But that leaves 22% unaccounted for, so another Democrat or another Republican.

Many commentators have a rock, paper, scissors model: Biden beats Trump, Trump beats DeSantis, DeSantis beats Biden. I'm afraid it is all too complicated for this bear of little brain.
    Thanks - but my post was correct.

Biden is 2/5 for nomination = 71.4%.

And as we both said he is 9/4 for President = 30.8%

Implies 30.8/71.4 = 43% chance of winning if nominated - which as I said feels low.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yeah I noticed that one, he now runs the V8 Supercars which was a support race. No idea who the **** gave him an F1 paddock pass though.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yeah I noticed that one, he now runs the V8 Supercars which was a support race. No idea who the **** gave him an F1 paddock pass though.
    Red Bull?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Red Bull?
    At least his new job keeps him away from F1 for 51 weeks of the year!
  • Options
    Verstappen just driving away without really trying.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited April 2023
    FPT
    GIN1138 said:

Riddle me this PB:

Sorry, whose best guess is that? I really don't think there's that much deep political strategery behind these prosecutions.

The Manhattan DA is prosecuting because Trump seems to have committed crimes and probably because he thinks it's good for his personal political stature to prosecute them. Likewise the Fulton County (Georgia) DA, if they're bringing charges.

The document cover-up case is happening because they had to make the case just to get the documents back, and the crimes were then very flagrant and obvious and there's no way anyone would not get prosecuted for them once the investigation had got to that point.

The January 6th investigations are happening because the crimes are very serious. If the Biden thought the likely result was to his own serious electoral disadvantage then it's possible he'd have leaned on the AG not to bring them or made sure he appointed an AG who'd squish them, but it's very hard to predict the electoral consequences, especially since the administration has no control of the Manhattan and Georgia cases.

PS When you repost something you posted From the Previous Thread it's helpful to put "FPT" to save time for people who already read it the first time.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,065
    edited April 2023
    GIN1138 said:

Riddle me this PB:

Didn't some Excel wanker on here work out that his actuarial chance of dying before the next election is something like 6%? And, even though his brain is a piece of shit, Biden is not a fat fuck and will have the best medical care in the world so it's probably significantly less than that.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,513
    Where’s this awesome pun in the headline we were promised?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,904
    Dura_Ace said:

GIN1138 said:

Riddle me this PB:

Didn't some Excel wanker on here work out that his actuarial chance of dying before the next election is something like 6%? And, even though his brain is a piece of shit, Biden is not a fat fuck and will have the best medical care in the world so it's probably significantly less than that.
    I don't think Biden is "obviously senile" anymore than when that was said 3 years ago. He has been quite an astute president. I remember all the slurs and falsehoods about Hillary Clinton's health in 2016, yet she seems in fine fettle 8 years later.

The 2020 election was a strange one due to covid, and he will need to campaign more actively this time. That will be gruelling physically. Age seems less of an issue in American politics than it is here.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Australia, judging by most of the comments.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,888
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Australia, judging by most of the comments.
    Never mind that, it’s the Tour of Flanders today…
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    3-lap sprint race, with everyone on new softs and a standing start. This could get tasty!
  • Options
    One of the best Grand Prix ever.
  • Options
    Good morning

Just switched on TV and it looks like carnage in Australia
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Sandpit said:

3-lap sprint race, with everyone on new softs and a standing start. This could get tasty!

I wasn’t wrong!

The order of the last grid, will be the finishing order.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Time to get the rulebook out ... again lol
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

Good morning

What is happening, we have the race recorded?
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Good morning

Chaos with rule books being poured over
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Time to get the rulebook out ... again lol

The rules here should be very simple. Red flag came out on lap 57 of 58. They can’t restart the race as there’s no laps left, so they count back two laps to the end of lap 55. The final grid order should be the finishing order.
  • Options
    Trending on Twitter #BringBackMasi :D
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

fitalass said:

Good morning

Chaos with rule books being poured over
    Typical, oh for the early days of the 1990s when fitaloon got me interested in following the F1 season, so much more exciting then.
  • Options
    Apparently they’re going to restart. They’re making this up as they go along. Total clusterf... You can’t just extend the race distance.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

They had to drop the 'V8' after GM wanted to run the turbo V6 Importadores. Then GM quit all RHD markets anyway. I don't know what the plan is next season when the Camaro goes out of production. It'll just be the Mustang Cup at that point.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Apparently they’re going to restart. They’re making this up as they go along. Total clusterf... You can’t just extend the race distance.

LOL, this gets funnier. They’re going to do a parade lap to the flag. 🏁
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

LOL, this gets funnier. They’re going to do a parade lap to the flag. 🏁
    Maybe it's just Masi's presence required to create multiple clusterfuncjs ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,019
    Good morning, everyone.

Astonished they went for a rolling restart. After red flag 3 I had a shower and logged on just to see how they'd settled on the order (ie at the grid of the standing restart or the order at the red flag).

Ridiculous.
  • Options
    .does that penalty put the Hulk on the podium ??!!
  • Options
    Sainz 5s penalty for causing the collision on the lap that never happened, so Ferrari are almost certainly going to exercise their right of review and we’ll not have a final result for hours.
  • Options
    Sainz absolutely furious.
    "Tell them they can't"
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    edited April 2023
    Excuse my ignorance but what criminal charge has Trump been charged with? He had sexual relations with Stormy Daniels which he denies. It doesn't seem to be rape, even if it's bad taste on her part. She attempted ro sell the story but had no takers, and he supposedly paid her hush-money.

Who loses? A victimless crime. He deserves to lose the money for his studidity, and as far as I can see, no blackmail was involved, so she's committed no crime.

The whole thing may be a crime against morality, but greed and adultery haven't been criminalised. Nor has political incompetence.
  • Options
    "Nonononononononono..."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,207
    The indictment may well have increased Trump's chances of winning the GOP nomination but Biden still leads in the general election as the poll shows. If Trump were convicted more Independents would then likely shift towards Biden
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,207
    edited April 2023
    IanB2 said:

The feedback on the home counties campaign trail so far is certainly unnerving Tory MPs. Although some doors are no longer slammed in their faces, as they were under Boris Johnson, in many places lifelong Conservatives have a weary resignation that they are about to jump ship.

One mortgage-squeezed resident in Kent said that they’d “never been as angry” as when they’d read a report that Liz Truss intended to give peerages to those who served in her calamitous 49-day reign.

Even in leafy Sevenoaks, one Tory councillor is so worried they have embarked on an unprecedented “chicken run” from a usually solid Tory ward to stand in an area that they feel is even more safe.

As I posted yesterday the only safe Tory wards at the moment are in rural wards, which is where if there is a chicken run incumbents will be trying to move to.

Much as for Labour the only safe areas in 2019 were in the inner cities or some university towns
  • Options
    Not a great day for the rulebook tinkers.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Excuse my ignorance but what criminal charge Trump has been charged with? He had sexual relations with Stormy Daniels which he denies. It doesn't seem to be rape, even if it's bad taste on her part. She attempted ro sell the story but had no takers, and he sopposedly paid her hush-money.

Who loses? A victimless crime. He deserves to lose the money for his studidity, and as far as I can see, no blackmail was involved, so she's committed no crime.

The whole thing may be a crine against morality, but greed and adultery haven't been criminalised. Nor has political incompetence.

The payment.
    If you remember, Cohen went to prison for it.

Explainer here (for about fourth time).
    https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2023/03/30/trump-indictment-legal-faqs-00089864
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Excuse my ignorance but what criminal charge has Trump been charged with? He had sexual relations with Stormy Daniels which he denies. It doesn't seem to be rape, even if it's bad taste on her part. She attempted ro sell the story but had no takers, and he supposedly paid her hush-money.

The whole thing may be a crime against morality, but greed and adultery haven't been criminalised. Nor has political incompetence.

He didn't declare the spending properly

He's being Caponed

• Options
    CD13 said:

Last I heard, we've still not had the full details but it looks like any charges will revolve around the paper trail for the hush money paid via his lawyer. Did Trump claim it against tax, as a business expense, or as a campaign expense? Any of those could be criminal.
  • Options

CD13 said:

He's being Caponed

Verb
    capon (third-person singular simple present capons, present participle caponing, simple past and past participle caponed)

(transitive) To castrate; to make a capon of.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/capon#Verb

About time too
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr b,

Thanks, that explained a lot. American politics is a real swamp at times. How different, how very different from ... or maybe not.
  • Options

CD13 said:

He's being Caponed

Verb
    capon (third-person singular simple present capons, present participle caponing, simple past and past participle caponed)

About time too
    If he'd been castrated, he wouldn't have been in this mess...

Talking of messes, that race was a bit of a shambles,

Also, can we make TSE Max Verstappen's mechanic, or this season will be bloody boring in terms of race winners.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

CD13 said:

Last I heard, we've still not had the full details but it looks like any charges will revolve around the paper trail for the hush money paid via his lawyer. Did Trump claim it against tax, as a business expense, or as a campaign expense? Any of those could be criminal.
    Trump’s lawyer says that he, the lawyer, paid off Stormy himself, of his own volition, that Trump knew nothing about it, and wasn’t recharged the expense. Which seems rather unusual behaviour from a lawyer.

So the argument is basically that the lawyer paid off whores all the time for Trump, and didn’t realise that during the campaign he couldn’t pay off this whore on Trump’s behalf, so had to eat the expense himself.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

CD13 said:

Trump’s lawyer says that he, the lawyer, paid off Stormy himself, of his own volition, that Trump knew nothing about it, and wasn’t recharged the expense. Which seems rather unusual behaviour from a lawyer.
    Since there appear to be already papers proving Trump did know about it, that in itself may become a problem for them.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

CD13 said:

He's being Caponed

Verb

About time too
    Capone-d.

You can call me Al.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    I'd been wondering what Liz Truss had been doing since leaving Number 10.

Seems she got herself a job as race director at F1.....
  • Options
    'Option C: Make Shit Up' is a good summary.

Why don't they have a rule that a red flag in the last five laps you count back two laps and take those standings? They used to, although as I recall that once caused chaos when Fisichella thought he'd won, then was demoted, then got promoted back when they realised they'd miscounted...
  • Options

CD13 said:

He's being Caponed

Verb

About time too
    Capone-d.

You can call me Al.
    So twentieth century. These days it's ChatGTP4.5.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

CD13 said:

Particularly as Cohen paid for it by extending the mortgage on his house...

The dream scenario for DJT is that New York have to extradite him from Florida. RDS will either have to allow it and incur the wrath of MAGAWorld or supplicate himself and try to block it.
  • Options
    Suggestion that Max was out of position at the last standing restart.

https://thumbsnap.com/Z2s8yMGn

Is anyone offering odds that the four men currently on the podium, will all end up with the the trophies with which they’re being presented?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,186
    ydoethur said:

CD13 said:

He's being Caponed

Verb

About time too
    Capone-d.

You can call me Al.
    So twentieth century. These days it's ChatGTP4.5.
    Blanche gets the awesome pun award as far as I am concerned

• Options
    Mr. Sandpit, if there are two disqualifications/penalties my Perez bet might, absolutely undeservedly, come off :p
  • Options

CD13 said:

We don't know for sure what the charges are: Having sex with a porn star is legal in the US, as is paying her not to talk about it. They're thought to include campaign finance violations (because he allegedly disguised the payment as a company legal expense) and tax evasion (for related reasons). John Edwards was prosecuted for similar reasons, but was found not guilty of most of the charges, IIUC because the prosecution couldn't prove he made the payoffs for political reasons rather than just as to protect his personal reputation.

We should get to see the indictment on Tuesday US time, when he's formally charged. Until we do be skeptical of people who claim to know whether the case is strong or weak.
    The other thing to bear in mind is that multiple inditements aren’t necessarily a sign of a strong case - DAs sometimes pile them on to encourage a plea bargain to avoid defending on multiple fronts and encourage a concession on a minor charge. Much as it’s pretty useless thank goodness for the CPS.
  • Options
    Interesting quotes from Kate Forbes in the Sunday Times saying that she wanted to keep the Finance job, that the ScotGov briefing about wanting to spend more time with her family was untrue, and that she didn't want rural affairs because she disagreed with government policy. Wow.

https://twitter.com/dhothersall/status/1642433894044643328?s=20
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,389

Interesting quotes from Kate Forbes in the Sunday Times saying that she wanted to keep the Finance job, that the ScotGov briefing about wanting to spend more time with her family was untrue, and that she didn't want rural affairs because she disagreed with government policy. Wow.

It's going to be fun watching it all unfold. Useless will be like Major having to deal with his "bastards" ...but its all of his own making.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    Sandpit said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/04/01/donald-trump-campaign-donations-indictment/

He’s going to own the events of next week too - expect his team to be selling t-shirts of his mugshot, with “Trump 2024” emblazoned underneath, within hours.

His 'rivals' are fooling themselves that they can rally behind him over indictments and then credibly try to argue against supporting his as the candidate. Intellectually it might make sense to them but the voters will just be baffled.
  • Options

Well of course a sudden desire to spending more time with her family was untrue. She'd just barely lost a contest to be leader, had she won she'd have had far less time for family.
  • Options

CD13 said:

We don't know for sure what the charges are: Having sex with a porn star is legal in the US, as is paying her not to talk about it. They're thought to include campaign finance violations (because he allegedly disguised the payment as a company legal expense) and tax evasion (for related reasons). John Edwards was prosecuted for similar reasons, but was found not guilty of most of the charges, IIUC because the prosecution couldn't prove he made the payoffs for political reasons rather than just as to protect his personal reputation.

We should get to see the indictment on Tuesday US time, when he's formally charged. Until we do be skeptical of people who claim to know whether the case is strong or weak.
    The other thing to bear in mind is that multiple inditements aren’t necessarily a sign of a strong case - DAs sometimes pile them on to encourage a plea bargain to avoid defending on multiple fronts and encourage a concession on a minor charge. Much as it’s pretty useless thank goodness for the CPS.
    Yup. Also the indictments tend to seem pretty impressive when you read them, so it may all seem very slam-dunk until we see the Trump team's response.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

CD13 said:

This NY case from what has been reported does seem less strong, but its fair to note that reporting has limits and we cannot really know, though at least a grand jury hopefully means it's not super weak. The documents case seems fairly strong (and his resistance to cooperation bizarre), and the Georgia stuff seems like it definitely should be acrime, though if it requires proving intent his chaotic foolishness may yet shield him.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,311
    edited April 2023
    Apparently this is not a parody John Redwood account, its an actual tweet... https://twitter.com/johnredwood/status/1642403656111669248?s=20

It is so utterly stupid it is actually funny, in a "I´d like to burn the Tory Party to the ground, plough their fields with salt and slaughter their first born" kind of way - and the voters will quite likely feel the same way.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

His 'rivals' are fooling themselves that they can rally behind him over indictments and then credibly try to argue against supporting his as the candidate. Intellectually it might make sense to them but the voters will just be baffled.
    Is there anyone in the race going with the traditional "criticize your opponent" strategy yet?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,056
    edited April 2023
    Cicero said:

Apparently this is not a parody John Redwood account, its an actual tweet... https://twitter.com/johnredwood/status/1642403656111669248?s=20

It is so utterly stupid it is actually funny, in a "I´d like to burn the Tory Party to the ground, plough their fields with salt and slaughter their first born" kind of way - and the voters will quite likely feel the same way.

One of our village Tories on PB was going on about how people would flock to places such as Skegness instead of nast furrin resorts. Brexit benefit.
  • Options

CD13 said:

He's being Caponed

Watch him move seamlessly from no crime was committed to it's a stupid crime and not fair to charge him for it.

His supporters are already clear even serious crimes would not justify his being charged, even if he was guilty.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Is there anyone in the race going with the traditional "criticize your opponent" strategy yet?
    I dont think so, not even the no hope for publicity candidates.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

One of our village Tories on PB was going on about how people would flock to places such as Skegness instead of nast furrin resorts. Brexit benefit.
    Whether out of choice or affordability, millions of people do holiday in Britain, so opposition parties should be a bit wary of these attacks.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,648
    Lol complete unforced error from Starmer in the Sunday Times this morning with that stupid 99.9% comment. It has been received very poorly and will do nothing to reassure women that 5heir sex based rights won't be eroded by a Labour government.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,637
    Cicero said:

Redwood's problem is that he's clever enough that the state almost fits in his galaxy brain. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite, so the inconvenient bits have to be sawn off to fit. Seeing him flit between global buccaneering and something close to autarky is sad to watch.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

As I posted yesterday the only safe Tory wards at the moment are in rural wards, which is where if there is a chicken run incumbents will be trying to move to.

Much as for Labour the only safe areas in 2019 were in the inner cities or some university towns
    In at least one borough council ward here, a RefUK candidate has turned up and is distributing leaflets - it'll be interesting see (on Tuesday when all candidacies are published) if there are any more, and how they get on. We have one Borough Councillor who defected from the Tories to independent, IIRC because she objected to the removal of Liz Truss. Not sure if she's standing for re-election.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,648

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Whether out of choice or affordability, millions of people do holiday in Britain, so opposition parties should be a bit wary of these attacks.
    Yes, Labour need to be careful that they aren't pitching themselves as "too good" for a British holiday. It reopens the whole idea that Labour hate this country and can't wait to tell us that we're all racist because we don't hate it too.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Or alternatively, whether out of choice or affordability (British holiday accommodation is extremely expensive compared with France), millions of people go abroad and don’t like being told not to, so government should be a bit wary with these attacks.

I enjoyed the replies to Redwood. Very notable theme in there, which was sewage. Lib Dems have been hitting this hard in recent months. I think it could be a media theme of the summer this year.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Yes, it's a poor tweet in the sense that telling people they can holiday in the UK is not a solution to the problem of the delays, anymore than telling people they can shop online rather than pay parking charges, since however true people wanted to do the former, but it came across as over dramatic for a start. Like how it may be annoying and unnecessary to have to be in a slower passport queue, but still not as harrowing as people make it seem.
This discussion has been closed.