Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters don’t think Corbyn will be an MP after the next election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,320
    Carnyx said:

Lovely that these lads have been rendered speechless* by this multicultural moment.

*if fucking only.

Crivvens, help ma boab, the comments are quite something on that tweet.
    It’s ironic that Ibrox Park, the spiritual home of Scotland’s racists and sectarian bigots, is within his constituency.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,556

Ibrox Park, the spiritual home of Scotland’s racists and sectarian bigots

Surely only half of them...
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,603
    edited March 2023
    Speaking of Corbyn, I have sometimes thought that his atttitudes toward the US were so bigoted that he wouldn't even use common defenses of bigots, such as "some of my best friends . . ".

But I wouldn't describe his views as racist. Nor do I think Donald the Loser's views can be described as racist -- but for different reasons.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,289
    Who on earth is advising Humza Yousaf because demoting the crisis laden Transport brief from a Cabinet position sends out a message that is not an electoral winner right across the whole of Scotland?! Crisis, what crisis?!

The National - Humza Yousaf challenged after 'ditching transport from Cabinet'
    https://www.thenational.scot/news/23421877.humza-yousaf-challenged-ditching-transport-cabinet/

"Michael Matheson was previously responsible for energy policy and transport before he was appointed Health Secretary on Wednesday.

It leaves the Cabinet without one person solely responsible for transport – despite ongoing and high-profile issues with the dualling of the A9 and CalMac ferries among others."
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,443
    Omnium said:

On the most recent footage I've seen of him he looks pretty frail - although that to some extent could always have been said of him. I don't think he's likely to do anything really. However the Mayoral race is the obvious target if he does - far more so than his Islingnton seat.

Corbyn became frail somewhere between nearly winning in 2017 and getting stuffed in 2019. Look at photos in the latter election and it is almost as if he has had a stroke. I do think this partly explains Labour's poor performance as he can no longer make eye contact with the camera (and hence the viewer) and seems grumpy rather than concerned.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,382
    Andy_JS said:

"Elon Musk and experts say AI development should be paused immediately

The letter, signed by more than 1,000 people, warned of potential risks to society and civilisation by human-competitive AI systems in the form of economic and political disruptions."

https://news.sky.com/story/elon-musk-and-others-sign-open-letter-calling-for-pause-on-ai-development-12845039

Of course it needs strong regulation, just like many other things.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,622
    Pretty impressive stuff all round.

‘Astonishing’ molecular syringe ferries proteins into human cells
    Technique borrowed from nature, and honed using artificial intelligence, could spur the development of better drug-delivery systems.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-00922-4
  • Options
    Twitter
    Andrew Neil@afneil
    Whitehall full of rumours tonight that Britain on brink of joining Indo-Pacific trade pact, which accounts for 13% world GDP and 15% global trade. Includes Mexico, Canada, Japan, Malaysia + 7 other countries. A $10 trillion market.
    https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1641181628570501120
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    Andrew Neil@afneil
    Whitehall full of rumours tonight that Britain on brink of joining Indo-Pacific trade pact, which accounts for 13% world GDP and 15% global trade. Includes Mexico, Canada, Japan, Malaysia + 7 other countries. A $10 trillion market.

Whoopee. Shame we are on the edge of Europe.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,787
    kamski said:

Andy_JS said:

The letter, signed by more than 1,000 people, warned of potential risks to society and civilisation by human-competitive AI systems in the form of economic and political disruptions."

https://news.sky.com/story/elon-musk-and-others-sign-open-letter-calling-for-pause-on-ai-development-12845039

It probably won't get it though.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,216

fitalass said:

Twitter
    Andrew Neil@afneil

Why is it a shame? It's an ideal position to be a global hub.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Technique borrowed from nature, and honed using artificial intelligence, could spur the development of better drug-delivery systems.

Honed using AI, you say. Presumably before Elon Musk's moratorium.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,039
    Anecdata:
    Talking to a bunch of mums tonight. (They are so much more revealing of personal details than dads. To be honest, I preferred it when we were talking about Janet's upcoming trip to Scarborough. You'd like Janet. She's a hairdresser. Lancashire accent. Her stories have the meandering non-sequiturs of a Peter Kay sketch. Anyway.) The subject moved onto kids with special educational needs, a subject all five of us in the conversation had some experience of. All corroborated my localised experience that SEN are suddenly much, much more common, especially in years 1/2/3. It's not just a case of more diagnoses; the number of damaged kids coming through post-lockdown is off the scale compared to what they've seen previously. A school on Rochdale was cited at which the majority of year 1 kids are non-verbal; some are still not toilet trained.
    As well as a hugely damaged cohort - which is poor news when they grow to adulthood - we are going to see a lot of teachers leaving the profession. The pressures they are under are huge.
  • Options

fitalass said:

Twitter
    Andrew Neil@afneil

Why is it a shame? It's an ideal position to be a global hub.
    No, it really isn't, not in any usual sense of the word hub. We can't even be a hub between Ireland and France thanks to Brexit paperwork and Boris's Irish Sea border.
  • Options
    EmeraldEmerald Posts: 55
    Cookie said:

Anecdata:
    Talking to a bunch of mums tonight. (They are so much more revealing of personal details than dads. To be honest, I preferred it when we were talking about Janet's upcoming trip to Scarborough. You'd like Janet. She's a hairdresser. Lancashire accent. Her stories have the meandering non-sequiturs of a Peter Kay sketch. Anyway.) The subject moved onto kids with special educational needs, a subject all five of us in the conversation had some experience of. All corroborated my localised experience that SEN are suddenly much, much more common, especially in years 1/2/3. It's not just a case of more diagnoses; the number of damaged kids coming through post-lockdown is off the scale compared to what they've seen previously. A school on Rochdale was cited at which the majority of year 1 kids are non-verbal; some are still not toilet trained.
    As well as a hugely damaged cohort - which is poor news when they grow to adulthood - we are going to see a lot of teachers leaving the profession. The pressures they are under are huge.

Well dont expect us to feel sorry for teachers. They wanted the schools closed and a paid holiday.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Anecdata:

Yeah but Year 1 children would not have been "at school" during lockdown, and won't have been vaccinated, so there must be something else going on. Might this be a new form of long covid in infants?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,314
    tlg86 said:

Blimey…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-65086107

One of Scotland's main police control rooms used a fake system to manipulate response time targets for eight years, according to documents seen by the BBC.

Well that'll inspire the public's confidence in their police force.

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,096
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Lovely that these lads have been rendered speechless* by this multicultural moment.

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:
    27 March, 2023 at 2:57 pm
    and the cops say : nothing to see here, move along …

I mean, it could work out. I, for one, salute our new islamic overlord, FM is too paltry a title, make him Caliph

now all he has to do is :

declare the UNION to be absolutely HARAM

make the ENGLISH all KUFFARS

and make the YES Movement a NATIONAL JIHAD

and … we’re fucking done.

If it had to be a muslim, I would have preferred IMRAN KHAN – he has been trying to clean up Pakistan, rid it of the globalist scum and spooks, but it’s clear he is going to get shot, maybe very soon; at least our cricket team would improve.

– you have to go with the flow.'
    https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-hollow-crown/
    There are still a lot of racists in our countries. Perhaps only a few percent, but could be the difference for Sunak too.
    There was a clear movement from Conservative to ReFuk when Sunak took over.
    Yes, I noticed that too.
    Here are the EMA shares over the last 18 months. ReformUK is purple,
    There was a surge when Sunak took over but it is slowly receding.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

kamski said:

Andy_JS said:

Because lawmakers have been captured by those who just want to make a profit.

But a start would be to make AI legally liable for information or advice they give out.

Then there should be a law that requires AI, and other software like social media, to make sure that what they do is in the best interests of the welfare of the users. Don't see Musk asking for that.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,643
    Just seen Raab said Paul O'Grady would have had no time for wokery.
    No words.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Honed using AI, you say. Presumably before Elon Musk's moratorium.
    Google's alphafold for predicting protein structures. Been around for a while.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,390
    Andy_JS said:

Emerald said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

I mean, it could work out. I, for one, salute our new islamic overlord, FM is too paltry a title, make him Caliph

If it had to be a muslim, I would have preferred IMRAN KHAN – he has been trying to clean up Pakistan, rid it of the globalist scum and spooks, but it’s clear he is going to get shot, maybe very soon; at least our cricket team would improve.

There are still a lot of racists in our countries. Perhaps only a few percent, but could be the difference for Sunak too.
    Because of political correctness difficult to tell how many racists there are. But I would estimate about 10% of the electorate with a further 20-30% uncomfortable with forced diversity without necessarily being racist. The sort of people who may mention in passing "Im a bit uncomfortable with all the heads of Govt of ethnic origin at present".
    There are probably fewer racists in the UK than any other country in the world (using percentages).
    "Every other country in the world is worse than us" (at non-racism)
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Anecdata:

Year 1 kids have always had a large proportion non-toilet trained. And quite a few non-verbal. That's what Makaton is for.
    I blame the parents tbh.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,761

Cookie said:

Anecdata:

Yeah but Year 1 children would not have been "at school" during lockdown, and won't have been vaccinated, so there must be something else going on. Might this be a new form of long covid in infants?
    Perhaps having to spend more time with mum and dad pre school really fucks you up.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Emerald said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

Because of political correctness difficult to tell how many racists there are. But I would estimate about 10% of the electorate with a further 20-30% uncomfortable with forced diversity without necessarily being racist. The sort of people who may mention in passing "Im a bit uncomfortable with all the heads of Govt of ethnic origin at present".
    There are probably fewer racists in the UK than any other country in the world (using percentages).
    Really. Fewer than in Sweden or Norway or Canada. Doubtful.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Cookie said:

Anecdata:

Perhaps having to spend more time with mum and dad pre school really fucks you up.
    Perhaps a great many parents actually have no idea what they are doing and having access to a Sure Start may have helped?
    Just a thought.
  • Options
    Humza Yousaf suffers fountain pen malfunction as he is sworn in as Scotland's first minister
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOdwe6Usp7M
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,057
    dixiedean said:

No words.

That Paul O'Grady is seen as a national treasure shows how far we have come as a society since the 1980s. I don't think Maggie would have liked him.

I do find drag as a subculture rather odd, with more than a whiff of misogyny about it. I preferred POG as himself rather than as his creation.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Anecdata:

Well they would have lost all the playdates and socialising with their friends plus confronting a sea of masks whenever out of the house.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,979
    edited March 2023

fitalass said:

Twitter
    Andrew Neil@afneil

Yup. Looks like it was a good idea to leave the world's largest and most successful free trade organisation so that we could join up with that.

Not sure what it does to our sovereignity, but hey, you can't have everything.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

No words.

That Paul O'Grady is seen as a national treasure shows how far we have come as a society since the 1980s. I don't think Maggie would have liked him.

I do find drag as a subculture rather odd, with more than a whiff of misogyny about it. I preferred POG as himself rather than as his creation.
    Very much agreed. It seems something from another time. But it's a sign of how far we've come. He (?) put it down in 2004.
    Because he was so woke.
    Not because he wasn't.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,234
    Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

There was a clear movement from Conservative to ReFuk when Sunak took over.
    Yes, I noticed that too.
    Here are the EMA shares over the last 18 months. ReformUK is purple,
    There was a surge when Sunak took over but it is slowly receding.

That must be because Sunak is becoming less Indian.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

No words.

Your second paragraph contradicts your first a little. It's hard to imagine an equivalent to Lily Savage hosting totally mainstream prime time TV shows these days.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

No words.

There has long been a showbiz tradition of cross-dressing. The pantomime dame is a bloke in drag and the principal boy is played by a woman. Music hall had its own male impersonators, like Vesta Tilley (whose husband was a Conservative MP). All that has changed is the name, so we now have drag queens and kings.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,630

Humza Yousaf's hubris is truly a delight to watch in real-time.

We forget due to recent events but usually new leaders can get away with hubris. Very embarrassing if another fell foul.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

No words.

Very much agreed. It seems something from another time. But it's a sign of how far we've come. He (?) put it down in 2004.
    Because he was so woke.
    Not because he wasn't.
    His reasons for retiring the character don't seem to have had anything to do with wokeness, although he did suggest that we'd be too politically correct for her now:

https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/03/29/paul-o-grady-lily-savage-retirement-reason/

“People say to me, “Would you do Lily again?” And I say, “Good God no, I wouldn’t last five minutes”, he told The Sun in 2021.

“It’s just the things that she comes out with. It’s a different time now.

“They probably wouldn’t like the inference that she was a lady of the night — she’d have to say she was a sex worker or just, “Worked in hospitality”.”
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

The genie is out of the bottle.

I for one welcome the rule of our robot overlords.
    Must...resist...person of interest quotes about AI.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

No words.

Hopefully Raab will be a brief footnote in political history very shortly.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

Anecdata:

Year 1 kids have always had a large proportion non-toilet trained. And quite a few non-verbal. That's what Makaton is for.
    I blame the parents tbh.
    When my wife started as a year 1 primary teacher, it was not uncommon for traveller women to arrive at the school gates on the first day of the school year to leave their children who had not been registered with the school. A lot were still in nappies and obviously too young - the mothers basically wanted childcare. The headteacher would welcome the mothers with an invitation to come inside and sit in reception while he rang social services to check whether he should accept the children. They left pronto with their kids.
  • Options

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

No words.

There has long been a showbiz tradition of cross-dressing. The pantomime dame is a bloke in drag and the principal boy is played by a woman. Music hall had its own male impersonators, like Vesta Tilley (whose husband was a Conservative MP). All that has changed is the name, so we now have drag queens and kings.
    There is more to drag than cross dressing in theatre, though perhaps it originates there. Drag is a hyper-sexualised parody of women, and generally sexually explicit, even predatory.

The male Gay community is not homogenous, and has its own misogynism, and drag is a part of that.

You may gather I am not a fan.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,096
    kamski said:

Andy_JS said:

kamski said:

Andy_JS said:

But a start would be to make AI legally liable for information or advice they give out.

Then there should be a law that requires AI, and other software like social media, to make sure that what they do is in the best interests of the welfare of the users. Don't see Musk asking for that.
    Should we make humans legally liable for information or advice they give out? Or make sure they act in the best interests of others? If not why for AI?
    I think the concern about AI is that we will become totally dependent on it. But how about electricity or the Internet?
  • Options

vino said:

I thought 51.89% of the voters were racist according to the Remainers on here

Which ‘Remainer’ said that?
    I believe 99% of racists voted leave is the usual view.
    I know at least one who didn't, for what its worth. (Not much)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Emerald said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

There was a survey on this a few years ago in the EU.
    They asked people of african/caribbean descent their personal experience of racism, as in verbal racist abuse.
    UK came 2nd best (i.e. 2nd fewest % racist experiences) of the 28(27?) countries. Malta was top, slightly better than the UK.
    The figures from Finland and Slovakia were shocking.
  • Options
    This RUSI report is pretty interesting (long read, though).

Preliminary Lessons from Russia’s
    Unconventional Operations During the Russo-
    Ukrainian War, February 2022–February 2023 Jack Watling, Oleksandr V Danylyuk and Nick Reynolds
    https://static.rusi.org/202303-SR-Unconventional-Operations-Russo-Ukrainian-War-web-final.pdf.pdf

The mixture of incompetence and sheer evil (it's clear widespread 'liquidations' were planned alongside the original assault, along with systematised torture) is remarkable.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,649
    Cookie said:

Anecdata:

No no no. That just makes you an old fart saying “Things ain’t wot they used to be” and moaning about The Yoof - according to much of PB
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,649
    Emerald said:

The great Humza Yousaf

After having an affair Yousef blamed his wife for not being a good enough Muslim. When there was no place at a nursery for his daughter, he arranged a sting operation that attempted to prove that the nursery was racist. "What sort of person does this?"

https://twitter.com/HousewifePolish/status/1641034656165289987?s=20

He might actually be worse than Truss
  • Options
    This ought to get lawyers excited.
    A real life case in prospect, turning on the application of the rule against perpetuities.

The day before Florida lawmakers voted to create a new board overseeing Disney, the Disney-aligned old board passed an agreement basically neutering the new one, to be in effect until 21 years after the death of the last survivor of King Charles (?!?)
    https://mobile.twitter.com/PoliticsReid/status/1641178185109831680

The British royalty angle is just the cherry on top.
  • Options
    Here's a prediction for the future.

I wonder how long it'll be before second-hand bookshops become targets for woke-ists, because they're places where you can buy old copies of books that haven't been "updated" with the latest language. For example, if you want to buy a copy of a Roald Dahl book that definitely hasn't been altered, a second-hand bookshop will be the place to go.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I wonder how long it'll be before second-hand bookshops become targets for woke-ists, because they're places where you can buy old copies of books that haven't been "updated" with the latest language. For example, if you want to buy a copy of a Roald Dahl book that definitely hasn't been altered, a second-hand bookshop will be the place to go.

I have a copy of Nigger Of The Narcissus on my bookshelf. What do you think its black market price might be?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,272
    Nigelb said:

A real life case in prospect, turning on the application of the rule against perpetuities.

The day before Florida lawmakers voted to create a new board overseeing Disney, the Disney-aligned old board passed an agreement basically neutering the new one, to be in effect until 21 years after the death of the last survivor of King Charles (?!?)

That’s got to be ultra vires by the old board. In any event the legislature should be able to overrule. Very aggressive by Disney
  • Options
    kle4 said:

vino said:

Presumably some racists voted remain because they worked out that by preventing immigration from European countries we would naturally be encouraging immigration from Africa and Asia.

Not all racists are stupid.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

That’s got to be ultra vires by the old board. In any event the legislature should be able to overrule. Very aggressive by Disney
    What more could the state do it wasnt already?
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426

Andy_JS said:

Emerald said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

*if fucking only.

'Confused says:

There was a survey on this a few years ago in the EU.
    They asked people of african/caribbean descent their personal experience of racism, as in verbal racist abuse.
    UK came 2nd best (i.e. 2nd fewest % racist experiences) of the 28(27?) countries. Malta was top, slightly better than the UK.
    The figures from Finland and Slovakia were shocking.
    Britain being better than many other countries on the racism scale doesn't mean there isn't a huge problem with racism here. There is.

According to this map, the black population in Slovakia is proportionally about 1/200 of the black population in Britain:

https://brilliantmaps.com/european-black-population-by-country/

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,419

kle4 said:

vino said:

Presumably some racists voted remain because they worked out that by preventing immigration from European countries we would naturally be encouraging immigration from Africa and Asia.

Or he could have decided that the EU was the perfect structure to be in place for the advent of the Fourth Reich. Adolf Hitler: no little-Englander or little-Germaner was he!
  • Options
    edited March 2023

kle4 said:

vino said:

Or he could have decided that the EU was the perfect structure to be in place for the advent of the Fourth Reich. Adolf Hitler: no little-Englander or little-Germaner was he!
    Perhaps there was a part of "optout from ever closer union" that he [*] didn't understand.

* kle4's acquaintance, that is; not Hitler.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I have a copy of Nigger Of The Narcissus on my bookshelf. What do you think its black market price might be?
    Dunno but what are the odds you've just triggered someone's work system to block pb?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018

Cookie said:

Anecdata:

Many would have been at Nursery.

I have a godson whose parents were both Docs, so at work throughout and he was at Nursery. He is fab, hugely advanced and not at all affected by the pandemic.

A big of a contrast to kids of other friends and family, who were at home throughout.

Locking down society to save some oldies is really looking like a bad call on so many levels, now.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Andy_JS said:

I have a copy of [redacted] Of The Narcissus on my bookshelf. What do you think its black market price might be?
    I can't comment on the Conrad, but if people want to have a serious discussion in which the word "woke" is avoided they might want to consider Dillibe Onyeama's account of his years as a schoolboy at Eton, which was recently released under a new title. Great book. He should have told them they could shove their apology. The change of title reduces the anti-racist force of the book.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,419
    Andy_JS said:

I actually think the Roald Dahl bowdlerization will be dropped (when the owners think no one is looking) sooner rather than later. What I found telling was how few people on the Left even bothered to defend it. For once this really was a case of Wokeism/political correctness gone made.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,486
    From January 2022:

She laid out how the prices of “value” product ranges in supermarkets had soared over the last decade – rice in her local supermarket had increased in price from 45p for a kilogram bag last year, to £1 for 500g, a 344% increase – and how the number of value products has shrunk.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/jan/26/terry-pratchett-jack-monroe-vimes-boots-poverty-index

Bought a kg of rice from Tesco today for 45p.
  • Options
    "The BBC Projected National Share (PNS) of the local election vote 2022 is Con 30, Lab 35, LD 19, Others 16.
    By Stephen Fisher, 6th May 2022"

https://electionsetc.com/2022/05/06/local-elections-projected-national-share-pns-of-the-vote-2022/
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,185

Nigelb said:

"very aggressive by Disney"!
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Dunno but what are the odds you've just triggered someone's work system to block pb?
    Odds on, I should think.

And presumably the term 'black market' has now been cancelled? Perhaps someone can educate me as to the correct formulation.
  • Options
    In th US, you can also buy used books from Amazon, and other on-line sources.

There will be enough people searching for older versions of these books, so that I expect, for example, some old Dr. Seuss books will jump in price, and perhaps already have.

(Full disclosure: I do, from time to time, buy books to protest. Years ago, for example, I bought multiple copies of "The Myth of Heterosexual AIDS". More recently, I bought Robert Galbraith's "Troubled Blood", when J. K. Rowling was first being picked on. And just last year, I bought "When Harry Became Sally", mostly because Amazon has decided not to sell it.

And I even read them, somtimes.)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,672
    Corbyn stands, wins - and Starmer is 1 short of a majority.

File under #WouldBeFunnyAsAllFuck.....
  • Options

There will be enough people searching for older versions of these books, so that I expect, for example, some old Dr. Seuss books will jump in price, and perhaps already have.

(Full disclosure: I do, from time to time, buy books to protest. Years ago, for example, I bought multiple copies of "The Myth of Heterosexual AIDS". More recently, I bought Robert Galbraith's "Troubled Blood", when J. K. Rowling was first being picked on. And just last year, I bought "When Harry Became Sally", mostly because Amazon has decided not to sell it.

Do second-hand bookshops exist in the US? I assume they do, but don't actually know.
  • Options
    Move over Hawaii:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,784

Not wanting to jump down a rabbit hole here, but the incredible prevalence of AIDS in Africa rather suggests that either (a) homosexuality is rampant in Africa, or (b) there are plenty of heterosexuals who get AIDS through unprotected sex.
  • Options
    Andy_JS asked: "Do second-hand bookshops exist in the US? I assume they do, but don't actually know."

Yes, many, including this chain: https://www.hpb.com/home?&size=25&#product-panel-home
    Which claims to have 150 million books.

COVID was tough on them, and they now pay less when they buy, and charge more when they sell. But one can still find bargains.

And here's one of the big on-line sellers: https://www.abebooks.com (It's a subsidiary of Amazon since 2008.)

(The US Post Office gives books (and other "media") special low rates, so shipping books, even across the continent, is surprisingly cheap.)

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,672
    Andy_JS said:

Do second-hand bookshops exist in the US? I assume they do, but don't actually know.
    They must do. Where else do the books for book-burnings come from?

Not from home....
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,503

Andy_JS said:

I actually think the Roald Dahl bowdlerization will be dropped (when the owners think no one is looking) sooner rather than later. What I found telling was how few people on the Left even bothered to defend it. For once this really was a case of Wokeism/political correctness gone made.
    I was struck that they hired outside consultants to do the work. Guaranteed to be activist nonsense. They have huge numbers of talented editors working in-house. Bet they would have taken a lighter touch approach.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,301
    edited March 2023
    Mortimer said:

Cookie said:

Anecdata:

Many would have been at Nursery.

I have a godson whose parents were both Docs, so at work throughout and he was at Nursery. He is fab, hugely advanced and not at all affected by the pandemic.

A big of a contrast to kids of other friends and family, who were at home throughout.

Locking down society to save some oldies is really looking like a bad call on so many levels, now.
    Our lo is at nursery every morning. The downside is a bug brought back every 5 minutes but the social benefits should be well worth it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 - When Michael Fumento's "The Myth of Heterosexual AIDS" was published (1990), most of the data came from the United States. And most of the known cases were people who had acquired the disease either through needle sharing, or homosexual intercourse.

But our news folks and book sellers were not eager to share that information with us, fearing anti-homosexual bigots. It's been a while, so the details are hazy, but some medical folks found almost zero bookstores in all of Washington state that were selling Fumento's book.

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,185

Andy_JS asked: "Do second-hand bookshops exist in the US? I assume they do, but don't actually know."

Yes, many, including this chain: https://www.hpb.com/home?&size=25&#product-panel-home
    Which claims to have 150 million books.

COVID was tough on them, and they now pay less when they buy, and charge more when they sell. But one can still find bargains.

And here's one of the big on-line sellers: https://www.abebooks.com (It's a subsidiary of Amazon since 2008.)

(The US Post Office gives books (and other "media") special low rates, so shipping books, even across the continent, is surprisingly cheap.)

Was a VERY regular customer of Half Price Books, starting back in the 1980s when I first encountered one of their BIG books stores, filled with wide variety of quality used books and remainders.

They closed all their stores in Seattle before the pandemic. Ostensibly because of rising rents but really due to passage of municipal minimum wage law.

As for prices they pay for used books, they have ALWAYS been low-ballers. Say this based on my own experiences.

For example, just over a decade ago had to sell off much of a large book collection (due to moving). Which I did, beginning with used book stores where I could get top dollar for ones they wanted. Kept working my way down, with the average price naturally dropping.

Last stop was Half Price Books, drove the dross over to the (then) Capitol Hill store, a good van load. They offered me around $150 for about half of this final lot (I'd garnered ten times that from other book-mongers) and zilch for the rest, but would take 'em off my hands.

Which was the OTHER reason I went their last!
  • Options
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    Lol…..

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Gov. Ron DeSantis’ handpicked board overseeing Disney World’s government services is gearing up for a potential legal battle over a 30-year development agreement they say effectively renders them powerless to manage the entertainment giant’s future growth in Central Florida.…..

This essentially makes Disney the government,” board member Ron Peri said. “This board loses, for practical purposes, the majority of its ability to do anything beyond maintain the roads and maintain basic infrastructure.”

Among other things, a “declaration of restrictive covenants” spells out that the district is barred from using the Disney name without the corporation’s approval or “fanciful characters such as Mickey Mouse.”

That declaration is valid until “21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, king of England,” if it is deemed to violate rules against perpetuity, according to the document.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-disney-new-reedy-creek-board-powerless-20230329-qalagcs4wjfe3iwkpzjsz2v4qm-story.html

Disney may not have been quite as clever as they think they are because while England has a King his title isn’t “King of England”.
  • Options
    Interesting thread:

Britain has become, comparatively, a pace-setter for ethnic & faith diversity in national politics, including national leadership roles as a "new normal" to an unusual extent.

Why & how did this happen? Could we learn anything about drivers of change, in politics and beyond?

….Australia massively underperforms its level of diversity compared to Canada/UK. The UK strongly outperforms main west European societies with comparable aggregate bme aggregate scores (France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium) for reasons of history and identity.

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1641188562681970690?s=20

So much for “racist Little Britain”…
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

kamski said:

Andy_JS said:

kamski said:

Andy_JS said:

Should we make humans legally liable for information or advice they give out? Or make sure they act in the best interests of others? If not why for AI?
    I think the concern about AI is that we will become totally dependent on it. But how about electricity or the Internet?
    It depends, we do have regulations for people acting in a professional capacity - ie in order to make money. And we have laws for publishers.
    And massive industries like the medical industry are regulated on the basis of not harming punters.
    If AI is as big a deal as some of its promoters are claiming, then of course any sane society would be regulating it. It shows how successfully the Profit-is-God fanatics have brainwashed people that this is even questioned.
  • Options
    The UK has been quietly adopting a lot of really great policies that the US should copy

https://twitter.com/AlecStapp/status/1641109786870652929?s=20
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Not wanting to jump down a rabbit hole here, but the incredible prevalence of AIDS in Africa rather suggests that either (a) homosexuality is rampant in Africa, or (b) there are plenty of heterosexuals who get AIDS through unprotected sex.
    I'm more impressed by the eccentricity of Jim's protest than his literary taste.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Barnesian said:

kamski said:

Andy_JS said:

kamski said:

Andy_JS said:

It depends, we do have regulations for people acting in a professional capacity - ie in order to make money. And we have laws for publishers.
    And massive industries like the medical industry are regulated on the basis of not harming punters.
    If AI is as big a deal as some of its promoters are claiming, then of course any sane society would be regulating it. It shows how successfully the Profit-is-God fanatics have brainwashed people that this is even questioned.
    The EU seems to be trying to do so fairly heavily; the US not very much. There's unlikely to be a rush by developers to move to Europe.
    And as Leon points out, it will be full steam ahead in China anyway, unless Xi panics (by which time it would likely be too late anyway).

Note that the response to one of the first developers to raise an alarm was to fire him.
    Now everyone's discussing it openly, but it's not slowed anything down.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,430

I wonder how long he will last....
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,272

Nigelb said:

"very aggressive by Disney"!
    De Santis is no angel either…

But legislature is about to abolish/replace an oversight board

Immediately before that happens old board signs a long term contract giving the party they are responsible for overseeing guaranteed long term rights?

Nah.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,402
    Double shooting in Bluntisham, Cambridgeshire:

Cambridgeshire: Arrests after men shot dead in 'targeted' attacks
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-65121039
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

No words.

There is more to drag than cross dressing in theatre, though perhaps it originates there. Drag is a hyper-sexualised parody of women, and generally sexually explicit, even predatory.

The male Gay community is not homogenous, and has its own misogynism, and drag is a part of that.

Much of drag resembles the black and white minstrels.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Emerald said:

The great Humza Yousaf

After having an affair Yousef blamed his wife for not being a good enough Muslim. When there was no place at a nursery for his daughter, he arranged a sting operation that attempted to prove that the nursery was racist. "What sort of person does this?"

https://twitter.com/HousewifePolish/status/1641034656165289987?s=20

He might actually be worse than Truss
    Agent Yousaf will be great for the pro-Union cause.
  • Options

It will be interesting to see if a back benches of most of the talent will be as compliant as the previous tranche. Might finally get the committee system working properly…
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Maybe it would be simpler if all books were vetted by the government, prior to publication, so that offensive material does not get published.
  • Options
    More shambles in Rugby Union.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/mar/29/london-irish-insist-all-staff-will-be-paid-this-month-concern-finances-rugby-union

That 2 more clubs were on the brink has been common knowledge for a while.
  • Options

kle4 said:

vino said:

There was always an element in British and continental fascism that favoured European unification.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Andy_JS said:

Maybe it would be simpler if all books were vetted by the government, prior to publication, so that offensive material does not get published.
    There is already a pilot scheme, which is why we've not seen Boris's book on Shakespeare.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,804
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

No words.

" Drag is a hyper-sexualised parody of women"

Really?
  • Options

It will be interesting to see if a back benches of most of the talent will be as compliant as the previous tranche. Might finally get the committee system working properly…
    Well worth a read, Robin Mcalpine - 48 Hours later and… He nails it...
    https://robinmcalpine.org/48-hours-later-and/
  • Options

Move over Hawaii:

Tartare sauce with mushy peas?
    Come on.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Andy_JS said:

There is already a pilot scheme, which is why we've not seen Boris's book on Shakespeare.
    I doubt if that would be offensive. Just, lacking in any scholarly merit.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Move over Hawaii:

Tartare sauce with mushy peas?
    Come on.
    Guacamole.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The problem was more the naff way that the Dahl rewrite was done rather than the principle of it.

Works have long been altered to suit contemporary mores. The term "bowdlerisation" originates from the early 19th century editing of a version of Shakespeare to edit out the naughty bits. The schools edition of The Canterbury Tales I did for O level in the 1980s too. Agatha Christies "Ten little redacteds" has long been renamed as ""Then there were None" etc. Dahl himself changed the origin story of the Oompa Loompas.

Updating these works to modern tastes isn't itself a problem, but it does need to be done in tune with the authors style. There may be some right wing culture warriors gleefully reading to their children "Tintin in the Congo" *, but I don't thinknthat the worst thing that they will do to their children.

*as a TinTin fan, I do have a copy, and my boys have read it. We had an interesting discussion about colonialism and racist stereotypes as a result, but they were teenagers by then, and up to that sort of analysis while retaining their love of Tintin.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

The problem was more the naff way that the Dahl rewrite was done rather than the principle of it.

Works have long been altered to suit contemporary mores. The term "bowdlerisation" originates from the early 19th century editing of a version of Shakespeare to edit out the naughty bits. The schools edition of The Canterbury Tales I did for O level in the 1980s too. Agatha Christies "Ten little redacteds" has long been renamed as ""Then there were None" etc. Dahl himself changed the origin story of the Oompa Loompas.

Updating these works to modern tastes isn't itself a problem, but it does need to be done in tune with the authors style. There may be some right wing culture warriors gleefully reading to their children "Tintin in the Congo" *, but I don't thinknthat the worst thing that they will do to their children.

*as a TinTin fan, I do have a copy, and my boys have read it. We had an interesting discussion about colonialism and racist stereotypes as a result, but they were teenagers by then, and up to that sort of analysis while retaining their love of Tintin.
    Oh, we were mightily pissed off at school by moral guardians who wanted to expurgate the Miller’s Tale, the Three Musketeers, the Count of Monte Cristo, and the Porter scene from Macbeth.
This discussion has been closed.