Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Well done Gavin Williamson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866

If anyone’s interested in old postboxes, I’ve got a VR and an EVIIR on my route

Elizabeth the Seventh? Have I missed something?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,631

ydoethur said:

Kudos to Williamson. My wife, who is a great judge of character, met him once and said he was very nice and seemed on top of his brief.

Boris Johnson tried to get on top of his brief, but Lord Pannick said he was not that sort of chap. (it is a great name for a lawyer)
    There used to be a Glasgow law firm called Maclay, Murray and Spens, nicknamed Delay, Worry and Expense. There was a story doing the rounds at one time, that they refused to enter partnership with another well known Glasgow lawyer, Tom Risk, as being called Delay, Worry, Expense and Risk was a step too far.
    Wasn't there also (genuinely) one in the midlands called Doolittle and Dally?
    There was Wright Hassell....
    No was, still is a Wright Hassell.

My favourite (disbarred) solicitor, step forward Anal Sheikh.

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/court-enema-vexatious-litigant-anal-sheikh
    Did they bugger things up?
    Yes. Read that link.

Here’s a taster.

Among her numerous applications, in 2017 Sheikh sought the impeachment of Lord Phillips, Lord Justice Briggs, Lord Justice Henderson and Sir Terence Etherton for conspiracy to commit identity theft.

Sheikh accused Lord Philips of apparently giving a number of conspirators (including Burges Salmon, The Law Society and The Bank of Ireland) access to empty courtrooms where Lord Justice Briggs “impersonated a judge and staged enactments of trials.

He put on his judicial robes and wig, used the empty courtrooms and bribed court [sic] to stand around to pretend that a hearing was taking place, which it was not.”

Sheikh described Briggs' involvement in this "fraudulent instrument" as "the greatest risk ever known in the history of the civilised world".

She said "that is not a statement of hyperbole".
    I agree with her.

'Hyperbole' doesn't begin to do it justice...
  • If anyone’s interested in old postboxes, I’ve got a VR and an EVIIR on my route

A couple of Edwards!
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

Mr Simpson-to-be.

Several Edwards have been retrospectively classified as female under the GRR in Scotland, notably Edward II, V, VI and VIII.

Plus Charles is getting in touch with his feminine side because everyone keeps talking about the Queen. And his mother's name made sense.

So that brings us up to the VII.
    Carnyx said:

Mr Simpson-to-be.
    That was Edward VIII. Edward VII was 1901-10 and would just have shagged her.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

ydoethur said:

Kudos to Williamson. My wife, who is a great judge of character, met him once and said he was very nice and seemed on top of his brief.

Boris Johnson tried to get on top of his brief, but Lord Pannick said he was not that sort of chap. (it is a great name for a lawyer)
    There used to be a Glasgow law firm called Maclay, Murray and Spens, nicknamed Delay, Worry and Expense. There was a story doing the rounds at one time, that they refused to enter partnership with another well known Glasgow lawyer, Tom Risk, as being called Delay, Worry, Expense and Risk was a step too far.

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/court-enema-vexatious-litigant-anal-sheikh
    Did they bugger things up?
    Yes. Read that link.

Here’s a taster.

Among her numerous applications, in 2017 Sheikh sought the impeachment of Lord Phillips, Lord Justice Briggs, Lord Justice Henderson and Sir Terence Etherton for conspiracy to commit identity theft.

Sheikh accused Lord Philips of apparently giving a number of conspirators (including Burges Salmon, The Law Society and The Bank of Ireland) access to empty courtrooms where Lord Justice Briggs “impersonated a judge and staged enactments of trials.

He put on his judicial robes and wig, used the empty courtrooms and bribed court [sic] to stand around to pretend that a hearing was taking place, which it was not.”

Sheikh described Briggs' involvement in this "fraudulent instrument" as "the greatest risk ever known in the history of the civilised world".

She said "that is not a statement of hyperbole".
    The conspiracy clearly stretches a long way.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866

Bozo's briefs are far too often to be found round his ankles.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,519
    edited March 2023

Yes, the Nazi King, the divorcée, and the Singapore Grip.

That's us both out of the Cub Scouts for having a crap Royal, sorry National, Scrapbook.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    Emerald said:

malcolmg said:

Emerald said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

A few folk left raging doubtless.

Istr at least one PBer who had professional contact with Robison found her pleasant and on top of her brief, but what would he know?

Reward for helping Humza get his job?

Robison introduced the GRR bill…..
    I knew I could depend on you for the GRR angle.
    She is a duffer among duffers as well, one of Sturgeon's besties surprise surprise.
    If Yousaf wanted to try to unite the SNP, he would have appointed Forbes as his deputy.
    No way that arse would appoint her, he is a vindictive nasty git and will give her a crap job hoping she will fail, likely health that he has already wrecked.
    do you know him personally?
    I have seen the results of his efforts over the years and a 10 year old could have done no worse.
    Interesting. We now have a man of south asian descent as scottish first minster, a man of indian descent as PM and a man of south asian descent as mayor of london.
    I think it was @TSE that pointed out we could have an Indian and a Pakistani deciding on the partition of Great Britain. (They are both firstly British of course)
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    Kate Forbes to leave Scottish government.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533
    Sounds like Humza Yousaf offered Kate Forbes a new role and she's turned it down. Off to the back benches.
    ohnotnow said:

Sounds like Humza Yousaf offered Kate Forbes a new role and she's turned it down. Off to the back benches.

The losers in these sorts of contests probably want to retain an at least equivalent level role, for face saving purposes, and she was in a position he really needed to have a key ally in, so seems inevitable.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    SNP still disintegrating by looks of it .
    There's a rumour that Lord Macbeth and Lady are heading for the divorce courts.
  • Carnyx said:

That's us both out of the Cub Scouts for having a crap Royal, sorry National, Scrapbook.
    In my defence I’ve spent the afternoon. getting an earful from my mother. It’s your fault.

She’s upset that we’ve got an Indian heritage PM and Pakistani heritage FM, and that I didn’t become a doctor.

I told her I could have become a politician but the scandals would have been too much for her.
  • dixiedean said:

Yousaf will rue the day he fired Forbes.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    @KieranPAndrews
    NEW: Kate Forbes has rejected a job in Humza Yousaf's government and will go to the backbenches

The Times understands she was offered the rural affairs portfolio
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    Emerald said:

malcolmg said:

Emerald said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Istr at least one PBer who had professional contact with Robison found her pleasant and on top of her brief, but what would he know?

She is a duffer among duffers as well, one of Sturgeon's besties surprise surprise.
    If Yousaf wanted to try to unite the SNP, he would have appointed Forbes as his deputy.
    No way that arse would appoint her, he is a vindictive nasty git and will give her a crap job hoping she will fail, likely health that he has already wrecked.
    I have seen the results of his efforts over the years and a 10 year old could have done no worse.
    Interesting. We now have a man of south asian descent as scottish first minster, a man of indian descent as PM and a man of south asian descent as mayor of london.
    Plus a woman of South Asian descent as Enoch Powell impersonator?

Speaking as a wokish American, truly impressive achievement, by UK South Asians AND the rest of you UKers.

Britons (especially Little Englanders?) may tend to exaggerate (just a wee bit?) contemporary British worldwide influence, leadership & prestige.

But the ethnic (if not so much cultural) diversity of UK elected political leadership today, is an area where I think you UNDERESTIMATE.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    Omnium said:

Emerald said:

malcolmg said:

Emerald said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I think it was @TSE that pointed out we could have an Indian and a Pakistani deciding on the partition of Great Britain. (They are both firstly British of course)
    Well, a Scottish separatist would not accept a British political identity, so not exactly.
  • If anyone’s interested in old postboxes, I’ve got a VR and an EVIIR on my route

In St Albans we have a EVIIIR

Not as old, but much rarer!

We've got a GR in town as well, but I've not emptied that one yet

dixiedean said:

Yousaf will rue the day he fired Forbes.
    Well, it certainly makes that claim he would unite the party look less plausible.

Mind you it was Ian Blackford said it.
  • Omnium said:

Emerald said:

malcolmg said:

Emerald said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Ahem, I used the word heritage.

Carnyx said:

In my defence I’ve spent the afternoon. getting an earful from my mother. It’s your fault.

She’s upset that we’ve got an Indian heritage PM and Pakistani heritage FM, and that I didn’t become a doctor.

I told her I could have become a politician but the scandals would have been too much for her.
    Not my fault. I didn't vote for him as FM. The MSPs did.

Carnyx said:

Presumably "trousering" NOT as in stuffing your pockets, but rather problems with zippers?
    edited March 2023

The fabulous Kidderminster Estate agents...

Dolittle & Dalley

www.doolittle-dalley.co.uk
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Then they own whatever happens next...

Omnium said:

Emerald said:

malcolmg said:

Emerald said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Ahem, I used the word heritage.

You did indeed. A much more comfortable phrasing.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,699
    edited March 2023
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

If you voted for him for SNP leader, you did so in the full knowledge that if he won he would be elected FM immediately thereafter. As I explained to you beforehand and you preposterously denied.
    Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews
    NEW: Kate Forbes has rejected a job in Humza Yousaf's government and will go to the backbenches

His typical thick nasty vindictive self to the end.
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I’m blaming Scot Nattery in its totality.

See I made a huge mistake today.

My mum thinks I’ve only ever been co-respondent once in divorce hearings.

Stupidly I confessed to the real number, which is three.

I was danger of getting sent to my room.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    "Kate Forbes: Defeated SNP leadership candidate leaves government"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-65105951
    Driver said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

If you voted for him for SNP leader, you did so in the full knowledge that he would be elected FM immediately thereafter. As I explained to you beforehand and you preposterously denied.
    Can only hope Carnyx was more intelligent than to vote for that roaster.

Wow, that must be rare, by definition.

UNLESS Mrs Simpson had a "sweetheart" no-bid contract with GPO for say 10,000 of these?
    malcolmg said:

Driver said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

If you voted for him for SNP leader, you did so in the full knowledge that he would be elected FM immediately thereafter. As I explained to you beforehand and you preposterously denied.
    Oh, I'm intelligent. I am certainly more intelligent than those who believe, given the numbers and the SGs, that the FM after Ms S would automatically be SNP. For a start, with that very close margin ...
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,005
    Andy_JS said:

"Kate Forbes: Defeated SNP leadership candidate leaves government"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-65105951

Offered her a massive demotion. He must have known she would turn it down. Queen over the water now. SNP definitely split down the middle now.
  • EmeraldEmerald Posts: 55
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

i take it you are not a fan. How did he rise so far so fast then.
    Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

You could not make it up
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Driver said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Oh, I'm intelligent. I am certainly more intelligent than those who believe, given the numbers and the SGs, that the FM after Ms S would automatically be SNP. For a start, with that very close margin ...
    I mean, who was proved right?

UNLESS Mrs Simpson had a "sweetheart" no-bid contract with GPO for say 10,000 of these?
    There are a few dozen about, noting that there were a fair number of new housing estates being completed in the 1930s, so not that surprising a fair few finished on Eddie's brief watch and had a postbox installed.
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

What an idiot Yousaf was there, she has 48% of SNP members behind her and is more popular with Scots overall than he is, he should have at least offered her Deputy FM or Finance.

Now Forbes and her supporters will be plotting against him from day 1
    Hard to offer her DFM when she's spent the past few weeks saying he's useless.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Mr Simpson-to-be.
    That was Edward VIII. Edward VII was 1901-10 and would just have shagged her.
    Edward VII has some similarities to Charles III, was Prince of Wales for most of his life, only becoming King in his 60s after the very long reign of his mother. He had a relatively short 9 year reign but proved to be a more successful monarch than many had predicted he would be
    Emerald said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

He was in the cabal came straight from Uni and best pals with Sturgeon, nasty and useless. They are doomed now for sure.
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

What an idiot Yousaf was there, she has 48% of SNP members behind her and is more popular with Scots overall than he is, he should have at least offered her Deputy FM or Finance.

I think that suits him though. Infighting rather than doing anything.
    Driver said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Driver said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

That's like seeing one coin toss and fall heads and assuming it will always fall heads.

I was ome of those of us who anticipated a Yousaf lead but a Forbes catchip on the Regan vote.
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Driver said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

He really does live up to his name, nobody could be more useless.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

What odds Yousaf never gets the chance to fight a Holyrood election?

edited March 2023
    ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

John Major made Heseltine, his leadership rival in 1990, DPM and stayed PM for 7 years
  • EmeraldEmerald Posts: 55
    malcolmg said:

Emerald said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

He was in the cabal came straight from Uni and best pals with Sturgeon, nasty and useless. They are doomed now for sure.
    I was thinking too hes a muslim and Sunaks a hindu. Muslims and hindus have a history of not liking each other.

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

What odds Yousaf never gets the chance to fight a Holyrood election?

odds on and plummetting I would suspect. The seat warmers at Westminster will be bricking it as they are first for the chop.
    Carnyx said:

Driver said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Driver said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

That's like seeing one coin toss and fall heads and assuming it will always fall heads.

I was ome of those of us who anticipated a Yousaf lead but a Forbes catchip on the Regan vote.
    Lol. Even after being proved wrong you won't admit it.

I predicted that (a) the new SNP leader would get all or nearly all SNP votes; and (b) the other parties would not coalesce around a single candidate; and therefore the new SNP leader would be the new FM.

All true, albeit nowhere near the toss of a coin in odds!
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Driver said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

He really does live up to his name, nobody could be more useless.
    As Ohnotnow says, a bit difficult to give her a job when she's been saying precisely that. But there is inevitably an added edge to a Glaswegian offering a Highlander the rural affairs job.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,023
    edited March 2023
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

You could not make it up
    It is simply a decision of someone who is unfit for the post and will prompt an internal civil war
    Humza to follow Sturgeon's tried and tested plan

Driver said:

Carnyx said:

Driver said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Driver said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Lol. Even after being proved wrong you won't admit it.

I predicted that (a) the new SNP leader would get all or nearly all SNP votes; and (b) the other parties would not coalesce around a single candidate; and therefore the new SNP leader would be the new FM.

All true, albeit nowhere near the toss of a coin in odds!
    You were right about that bit - but only once we knew who won the party leadership. That was the much more critical one, opening up other options. Minority, sure, but not trivial.
    Condolences to SeanT and his various aliases.
  • HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

John Major made Heseltine, his leadership rival in 1990, DPM and stayed PM for 7 years
    That was a very genteel contest once Thatcher dropped out, though. Heseltine was standing to ditch Thatcher - part of his difficulty was that he didn't really have a quarrel with Major or Hurd, and his best chance was her fighting on. Also makes a difference that there weren't public hustings.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,467

There are a few dozen about, noting that there were a fair number of new housing estates being completed in the 1930s, so not that surprising a fair few finished on Eddie's brief watch and had a postbox installed.
    An old acquaintance of mine used to go around the country 'collecting' the various styles of phone box. He also created his own ?Stogumber? telephone exchange.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    William Hill is one of the main items on the BBC 6 O'clock news.

HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

That was a very genteel contest once Thatcher dropped out, though. Heseltine was standing to ditch Thatcher - part of his difficulty was that he didn't really have a quarrel with Major or Hurd, and his best chance was her fighting on. Also makes a difference that there weren't public hustings.
    I'm not sure that Heseltine ever had much support. I recall (possibly wrongly) that Portillo had a far greater backing.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Scott_xP said:
    I liked this comment: "But, he adds, AI has one fundamental problem: “Hallucination. It just makes stuff up. Which can be a problem if you’ve asked it to plan a seven-day itinerary.”"
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,139
    edited March 2023
    It does look like he's sewn up the trance vote on Scotland... to coin s phrase.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

kamski said:

Driver said:

Nigelb said:

Surprising honesty from Republican congressman.

REPORTER: "Do you think there's any role for congress to play in reaction [to the Tennessee shooting]?"

BURCHETT: "I don't see any real role that we could do other than mess things up."

https://mobile.twitter.com/brenonade/status/1640514060532711429

Not really. Entirely consistent with Republican dogma that has sought to discredit the government, state agencies, etc, at every turn, as part of their ideology of small government.

In that sense it is dishonest because there is plenty that Congress could do on gun control, if it so chose, that would improve the situation without messing it up.
    Not really, since they have to deal with the Second Amendment, and a Supreme Court that interprets it literally.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Not sure how you interpret that literally. It's gibberish.
    The original (ha ha) intent was -

"A well regulated Militia" - the militia was the volunteer army created by getting everyone to down tools and get their guns.

"being necessary to the security of a free State" - there was a deep belief that the militia with their rifled hunting guns had seen off the British professionals. This was a myth. It took George Washington a lot of effort to train the army to be... professional.

"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" - it was believed that if you had a bunch of hardy frontiersmen, with their trusty long rifles, all able to shoot the corners of an ace of spades at a zillion yards, from hunting all the time... well, then you wouldn't need a standing army.
    Fpt

Of course a government of slave owners would be quite keen on the right to keep and bear arms, what with having to protect/control their living chattels.
    The supporting views behind the 2A varied. A major one was not having a standing army - which was held to be immoral. The myth of the Minuteman was borne out of this hatred of a standing army, which in turn was seen as the feature of tyranny.

A lot of the opposition to slavery was around the idea of slave catching patrols and having a standing paramilitary force checking papers etc.
    I had no idea "Minuteman" (I've looked it up now) referred to an early US militia. I've always associated the word with the ICBM.
    Similarly the Copperhead:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M712_Copperhead

Also, during the Civil War, a citizen in the North who opposed the war and advocated restoration of the Union through negotiated settlement with the South.
    And of course a venomous snake.
    Copperhead Road is one of the best country songs of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSbuawoNpvQ&ab_channel=SteveEarle-Topic
    Agreed. Absolutely brilliant. Not sure I have ever really considered it a country song though.
    Carnyx said:

Driver said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Driver said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Which happened, just that HY (Scottish) was too far ahead in 1st preferences.

In part because SNP "leadership" actively suppressed bad news re: membership? As part of the hurry-up-and-vote, fix-is-already-in "process" for electing . . . him?
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,661
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Suspect that after a few years we'll be hard pressed to find anyone who did vote for him - except the MSPs of course.

HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

Perhaps yet he won by such a narrow lead he needed to offer Forbes more than just rural affairs when she was already Finance Secretary. The last leadership election winner to so snub her former rivals was one Liz Truss who packed her Cabinet almost entirely with loyalists. We all know how that turned out for her!
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/27/humza-yousaf-snp-work-prevent-coalition-support-splintering

'Yousaf also neutralises the perennial Tory attack advert that depicts the Labour leader in the SNP’s pocket, as he lacks the profile of either of his predecessors.'

A point made bu one of us yesterday ...
    Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

I'm not sure that Heseltine ever had much support. I recall (possibly wrongly) that Portillo had a far greater backing.
    Portillo didn't stand for the leadership until 2001 and wasn't even considered a contender until 1995.

1990 was Major v Heseltine v Hurd once Thatcher dropped out
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,586
    Andy_JS said:

Not surprised let somebody sign up and lose £23,000 in 20 mins

FFS how is that even possible

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Suspect that after a few years we'll be hard pressed to find anyone who did vote for him - except the MSPs of course.
    I don't think we have any left-end SNP folk on this site, anyway. They'd be too busy fighting with Carlotta on the identity stuff.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,277
    HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

Heseltine only became DPM in 1995.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,661
    Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

What did for Hezza were polls that showed Major was just as popular with the public as him. Otherwise I think he might have edged it.
    Is it possible, that Humza Yousef just might surprise . . . to coin a phrase . . . on the upside???

(Am ducking for cover under my desk!!!)
    HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

Portillo didn't stand for the leadership until 2001 and wasn't even considered a contender until 1995.

1990 was Major v Heseltine v Hurd once Thatcher dropped out
    Sure. I was thinking of the general picture of Tory aspirants.

Is it possible, that Humza Yousef just might surprise . . . to coin a phrase . . . on the upside???

He has.

He's been in post for 30 hours and so far he hasn't blown up the party to the extent people are calling for him to resign.
    HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

It's been quite a while - but I don't remember Heseltine standing at a hustings with Major saying "You're useless mate. Absolutely useless."
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

WHY OH WHY ISN’T WOKE USELESS OFFERING THE SCOTCH ANN WIDDECOMB DFM?!

etc
  • I've just had a holiday idea

I wonder if I could get seven Welsh and/or Cornish bishops and/or monks to write letters to the top chaps at the seven Breton religious sites I'll be visiting

I could hand deliver them, brought through Brittany entirely on foot as part of my 'pilgrimage'

And wear my Royal Mail shirt as I do

Does anyone know any Welsh or Cornish bishops or monks?
    ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

It's been quite a while - but I don't remember Heseltine standing at a hustings with Major saying "You're useless mate. Absolutely useless."
    Major also had a 14% lead over Heseltine in the final round in 1990 in terms of Conservative MPs backing and would likely have won by even more with the members as Thatcher's anointed heir, Yousaf won by just 4% amongst SNP members

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_Conservative_Party_leadership_election

Pigs might Fly
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

etc
    I imagine it was a condition of the Greens staying onside.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

He had a lot of support when he was Not M Thatcher.
    As soon as there were other Not MT candidates much of it melted away.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

Why not? Truss did.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904

Malcolm is actually an expectation management bot run by the Murrells.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    DougSeal said:

Why not? Truss did.
    To match Liz Truss he'd have to inadvertently bring about the reunification of the British Isles.
  • Andy_JS said:

Not surprised let somebody sign up and lose £23,000 in 20 mins

FFS how is that even possible
    Have you seen Leon’s posts?

He’s PB’s best anti-tipster.

It was him who lost £23k in 20 mins.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    dixiedean said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

One interesting piece of trivia about that leadership election is that nobody at any stage got more votes than Thatcher.
    Have the USA really transferred a 5.9% share of their defence budget to Ukraine as military aid? Obviously they had transferred an awful lot, but given the size of their budget I'd have guessed a far lower percentage.

https://twitter.com/MollyMcKew/status/1640623424039944194/photo/1
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,677

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

etc
    This post will be fun to fish out when she's the new leader and you're finding reasons to defend her.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,677
    dixiedean said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

That's one reading of events. The other is that she wanted her supporters to transfer to Major and most of them did.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    Emerald said:

malcolmg said:

Emerald said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Enoch Powell’s ghost is howling!
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    Carnyx said:

I don't think we have any left-end SNP folk on this site, anyway. They'd be too busy fighting with Carlotta on the identity stuff.

Cough..

Apparently even quoting news verbatim means I’m obsessed with the identity stuff, so presumably I’m fighting CV by default. Bit of a David and Goliath scenario mind with my puny couple of dozen posts v. hunners on the subject.

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

etc
    This post will be fun to fish out when she's the new leader and you're finding reasons to defend her.
    What political party would find itself in such dire straits they ditch the leader they just appointed in order to bring in the losing candidate?

Ok, the Tories and the DUP, but happening three times?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

Perhaps even outperform Ms Truss!
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

I've just had a holiday idea

I wonder if I could get seven Welsh and/or Cornish bishops and/or monks to write letters to the top chaps at the seven Breton religious sites I'll be visiting

I could hand deliver them, brought through Brittany entirely on foot as part of my 'pilgrimage'

And wear my Royal Mail shirt as I do

Does anyone know any Welsh or Cornish bishops or monks?

You should visit Hampstead. I understand they have SeanIT, SeanIIT, SeanIIIT, SeanIVT, SeanVT, SeanVIT, SeanVIIT and SeanVIIIT postboxes.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,545
    ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@KieranPAndrews

And the aftermath of leadership elections has got a bit more gangster shootout since the days of Major and his cabinet of chums.

Truss and Bozza both exiled defeated rivals to the far extremities. So did May and even Starmer to a degree.

Speaks to me of parties not really knowing what they're for and using leadership elections to decide that. In the SNP's case, is it right-leaning old rural nationalists or left-leaning young urban nationalists.

If they can't live under the same roof, that's a problem for the independence cause. Because you need both (plus some more) to get above fifty percent.
This discussion has been closed.