Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

From a 70% chance to a 7% one – betting on BoJo as GE CON leader – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288

HYUFD said:

Final round

Forbes 23890
    Yousaf 26032

So hapless Yousaf wins 53% to 47% and the Sturgeon SNP establishment ensures victory for their candidate

Thought the SNP had more members.
    They do!

Turnout was only 70%.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Very, very close. If members had been able to change their votes after the further resignations might well have gone the other way.

But Useless it is.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    This is wonderful news for Scottish Labour, Yousaf has a -20% rating with Scots compared to -4% for Sarwar and -9% for Starmer.

Forbes was on -8%
    https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/tight-race-between-yousaf-and-forbes-among-snp-voters-while-sturgeons-ratings-are-up

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

Andy_JS said:

Yousaf wins by 52.1 to 47.9%.

Close enough for plenty of whining about a fix.

Probably with good cause.
    That is a cast iron, copper bottomed, suck it up losers sort of a victory number.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,125
    Driver said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

I didn't do a backstage analysis of the SNP leadership election because there wasn't enough info and I couldn't think of an informed pro-Hamza debater on PB ...

I felt a little out of touch because I couldn't remember the candidates' names, but at least I could remember it wasn't Hamza.
    Last week I was dealing with a customer called Hunza, and it was not easy to spell it right...
    I can only sympathise, if you found that task difficult.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Leon said:

That is the worst possible result for the Nats. A deeply uncharismatic new leader with an off putting demeanour, winning by a disputable and controversially narrow margin over a lovely young Christian lady, in an election envenomed with accusations of fixing, and fraud

SUPERB

Could be worse, could be Truss.
  • Options
    Is anyone actually listening to this speech?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    I think I said at the start if Humza didn't fuck up he'd get it.
    He didn't fuck up, ergo..
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,678
    Driver said:

It's always 52-48...

In Scotland 55:45..
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215
    edited March 2023
    HYUFD said:

This is wonderful news for Scottish Labour, Yousaf has a -20% rating with Scots compared to -4% for Sarwar and -9% for Starmer.

Forbes was on -8%
    https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/tight-race-between-yousaf-and-forbes-among-snp-voters-while-sturgeons-ratings-are-up

Forbes was, definitely, the greater long term threat to the Union. Yousaf will lose seats and support

What a stupid choice. Sturgeon is gonna be like Merkel, in retrospect she will appear much less capable than she appeared when in office. She has bequeathed a total mess
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848
    Where’s MalcolmG with the informed commentary.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited March 2023
    MikeL said:

I have it on the radio but however much I try to listen it goes in one ear and out of the other.

He really isn't great, is he?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,765
    Leon said:

That is the worst possible result for the Nats. A deeply uncharismatic new leader with an off putting demeanour, winning by a disputable and controversially narrow margin over a lovely young Christian lady, in an election envenomed with accusations of fixing, and fraud

SUPERB

And now we will see how effectively they can close ranks. Truss detonated an atom bomb in fissures of her party before there was a chance to close them, so what will Humza do to restore things - that he had a big lead amongst MSPs presumably helps as that is where the action will be, whereas Truss had a disadvantage there.
  • Options

Probably smashing plates in the kitchen and preparing to join Alba
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Start the Truss-o-meter. 49 days is the record to beat.

You won't be able to get a lettuce north of the border for love nor money now.

That's pretty much par for the course in Scotland, though.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,445
    Jonathan said:

Start the Truss-o-meter. 49 days is the record to beat.

Find a turnip, add some boogly eyes and point a webcam at it?
  • Options

Leon said:

A hahahah

Fucking catastrophe for the SNP

You could have prepared that statement earlier for either candidate.
    No, a convincing Forbes win would have retooled the SNP for a further push on indy, in a few years. She would have been divisive but she might well have been an excellent First Minister, governing Scotland a lot better than Sturgeon

But they went for The Useless

CHORTLE
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Leon said:

SUPERB

Good result for Lab, Con and anoraks. SNP fall into a bear trap they have dug themselves. Narrowly averting the chance to appoint a change making star of very high quality. But she got enough votes that it will soon be very obvious that they have made a mistake.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Being the anointed successor (by a tiny margin) if the prior regime get carted off to jail in chains may not play so well....
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Humza might surprise on the upside. Difficult on the downside.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Popcorn time for non-SNP supporters.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He wasn't already?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    No really much of a mandate is it...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,411
    kinabalu said:

Unpopular said:

FPT

MikeL said:

Betfair suggesting result has not leaked.

Bounced around a bit just before 1pm but now settled at:

Yousaf 1.34
    Forbes 3.45

An extremely reliable source has told me the result of SNP leadership contest and the winner is

I was waiting until the leader was announced before congratulating Sir Keir Starmer on winning the SNP Leadership Election. I'm going to have to find a new joke... Oh wait, I found one, it's the new leader of the SNP!

Edit: That felt really harsh, actually. If I'd had a vote it would have gone to Humza (he can't be that bad!), though some of Forbes' ideas do intrigue me and I think she'd be a safe pair of hands - can't get past the gay (and other) stuff though.
    Wait a goddam minute, I thought Forbes was the favoured candidate of New New Labour?
    I guess the great PB tradition of X or Y are both bad for the EssEnnPee is alive and well (won't bother with the laughable concept of Z Regan).
    Speaking for Labour, and setting aside the independence question (on which I'm neutral), I don't think we care who wins. The key thing is that Sturgeon has gone. She was a formidable opponent, and her departure improves Labour's chances of making progress in Scotland, I think.
    Although according to Hyufd Kate Forbes is a Scottish Ann Widdecombe in which case that has to help Labour.
    Alternatively, she will
    kle4 said:

Sickening to think the GOP still has it defenders.

A jail in Washington has become the latest focal point of the US culture wars after a congressional delegation led by the Republican extremist Marjorie Taylor Greene visited defendants charged in 2021’s deadly January 6 insurrection at the US Capitol and championed them as “political prisoners”

Greene high-fived the detainees and shook their hands, according to the Associated Press. As the tour group was leaving, the defendants chanted “Let’s go Brandon!”, an offensive phrase denigrating Democratic president Joe Biden.

Greene was joined by fellow far-right Republican members of the House oversight committee during a two-hour tour of the DC jail on Friday. The group included extremist Colorado congresswoman Lauren Boebert, who embraced Micki Witthoeft, the mother of Ashli Babbitt, the woman shot dead by police as she participated in the Capitol riot, NBC News reported.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/27/marjorie-taylor-greene-led-delegation-to-visit-capitol-attack-defendants-in-jail

If the main parties cannot even agree that mobs storming the legislature is a bad thing then the democracy is in a rough old place.

Maybe they could contemplate a bit of the old loyal opposition approach.
    {Milo and Clodius have entered the chat}
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    No attacks on Labour or SKS from Youseless
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    What was the transfer situation? I assume he must have gotten some from Regan supporters, but how many could be fun.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Am I the only one thinking this ends up in court, with the SNP staff forced to turn over all their papers?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    So all the Conservatives, SNP and Scottish Labour all have a British Asian male leader now, Starmer the only white male leader of the 2 main parties in the UK, England and Scotland
  • Options
    Test:

Without rewinding - what can you remember of what he said (other than thanking family)?
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Chris said:

Driver said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

I didn't do a backstage analysis of the SNP leadership election because there wasn't enough info and I couldn't think of an informed pro-Hamza debater on PB ...

I felt a little out of touch because I couldn't remember the candidates' names, but at least I could remember it wasn't Hamza.
    Last week I was dealing with a customer called Hunza, and it was not easy to spell it right...
    Well, difficult in the sense of every time I had to type the word I had to remind myself to use the n not the m, because auto-pilot.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,462
    kle4 said:

Well that’s a result that will satisfy no-one.

Apart from Starmer..

But it's not the most chaotic result possible - the winner has the majority support of the elected representatives after all, rather than a close win for someone who was (seemingly) disliked by most of them.
    I agree
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

SUPERB

And now we will see how effectively they can close ranks. Truss detonated an atom bomb in fissures of her party before there was a chance to close them, so what will Humza do to restore things - that he had a big lead amongst MSPs presumably helps as that is where the action will be, whereas Truss had a disadvantage there.
    Yes, I can’t see him having any immediate problems because he has more of a base among MSPs…

However if polls start looking bad…
  • Options

MikeL said:

I have it on the radio but however much I try to listen it goes in one ear and out of the other.

No, he’s Useless.
  • Options
    Scotland, overwhelmingly white, now has a First Minister (bar accidents) and what is essentially an Opposition Leader, who are both from Pakistani Muslim backgrounds.

Fascinating.
  • Options

I think I said at the start if Humza didn't fuck up he'd get it.
    He didn't fuck up, ergo..

Party which was happy with its former leader picks the candidate most associated with that leader and a continuity approach.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,310
    Driver said:

It's always 52-48...

It's like the golden ratio.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

SUPERB

Good result for Lab, Con and anoraks. SNP fall into a bear trap they have dug themselves. Narrowly averting the chance to appoint a change making star of very high quality. But she got enough votes that it will soon be very obvious that they have made a mistake.

Forbes with 48% of SNP members also got a higher share than the 43% Sunak got of Conservative members last year
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Am I the only one thinking this ends up in court, with the SNP staff forced to turn over all their papers?

Which one of the losers would contemplate it?
  • Options
    Yousef is no Truss.
    PB Tories over reaching again.
  • Options
    He's not very good is he. Stumbling over his words and repeating himself
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

SUPERB

But she might have blown her one big chance. Will she even want to stay in a party when so many MPs and MSPs consider her heartfelt religious views to be "simply unacceptable"

The Nats will now sink into a brutal internal war, with a dickhead as a leader. HAHAHAHAHAH
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Forbes was on -8%

Forbes was, definitely, the greater long term threat to the Union. Yousaf will lose seats and support

What a stupid choice. Sturgeon is gonna be like Merkel, in retrospect she will appear much less capable than she appeared when in office. She has bequeathed a total mess
    That’s a great comparison. Her whole legacy is about to unravel itself.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,453
    edited March 2023
    kle4 said:

What was the transfer situation? I assume he must have gotten some from Regan supporters, but how many could be fun.

Ms Forbes got 3,331 of Ms Regan's second preferences, Mr Yousaf got 1,696 of those second preferences

Around 500 didn't transfer

https://twitter.com/conor_matchett/status/1640341241291239425?s=46
  • Options

Yousef is no Truss.

No, he hasn't got Truss' brains
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,266
    edited March 2023
    Leon said:

SUPERB

I think a 52-48 win by Forbes on second preferences, where she was behind on first preferences, would have been worse for the SNP.

A lot of the younger SNP members and supporters would have found it very hard to rally behind Forbes, and she didn't have strong support amongst MSPs either.

Yousaf is definitely the, "don't rock the boat," candidate, so a dramatic Truss-style implosion is least likely.
  • Options

Being the anointed successor (by a tiny margin) if the prior regime get carted off to jail in chains may not play so well....

Humza is left of centre so votes will not haemorrhage to SLab. Forbes is right of Attila the Hun, the lefties would have left in droves.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited March 2023
    kle4 said:

Yousaf got 1,696 transfers; Forbes 3,321. That leaves about 500 who presumably didn't use second pref.

That's not a bad second pref rate for Yousaf. I'm always very sceptical about claims that X will be the overwhelming recipient of second prefs. Normally, even when the second pref seems obvious, more people than expected don't do the obvious.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    MikeL said:

Only 50,000 voted - pretty poor.

that is probly close to 100% of real members
  • Options
    I'm reminded of the quote on war about you should do what your opponent least wants you to do. It seems the SNP have not heeded this. They have done exactly what their opponents wanted them to do. Just as the Tories did with Truss last Autumn. The Tories took less than 2 months to correct it. Let's see what happens now.
  • Options

Yousef is no Truss.

He isn’t that good.
  • Options
    Leon said:

SUPERB

Hmm - "deeply uncharismatic" versus "lovely young Christian lady". Why don't you say what you mean?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    DavidL said:

MikeL said:

No, he’s Useless.
    Yousless as a name is going to stick.
  • Options
    Ash Regan looks seriously annoyed.
  • Options

Yousef is no Truss.

You would have thought PBers would know not to misunderestimate a chap of Pakistani heritage.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    "Putin and Xi’s plot to control the internet will leave the West in the dust
    Britain’s creaking framework risks being left behind by the leaders’ technology pact
    Andrew Orlowski" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/03/27/britains-creaking-internet-framework-risks-left-behind-china/
  • Options

You all fawned over Johnson when he did that.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

HYUFD said:

Final round

Forbes 23890
    Yousaf 26032

So hapless Yousaf wins 53% to 47% and the Sturgeon SNP establishment ensures victory for their candidate

Thought the SNP had more members.
    They do!

Turnout was only 70%.
    Surprisingly low really. Makes you wonder how many of the other 20k actually have a pulse.
  • Options
    Can I just thank all the right wing Unionists, almost all of whom don't have a vote in Scotland let alone in the leadership election, for their slobbering over Kate and hating on Humza. It was all most persuasive.
  • Options

Yousef is no Truss.

No, Truss is in a league of her own, in terms of bad choices

But Yousaf is still a very poor choice. The love child of IDS and Ed Miliband
  • Options
    @Theuniondivvie

Can you let me know in a couple of sentences what this result means pls.

TIA
  • Options

Your memory is poor.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Chris said:

Driver said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

Well, difficult in the sense of every time I had to type the word I had to remind myself to use the n not the m, because auto-pilot.
    What a tough time you must have had. As I said, I can only sympathise.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yousef is no Truss.

IDS?

Personally I would say Justin Trudeau and Andy Burnham (2015 grade).
  • Options
    I'm getting advice from Scottish insiders that Yousaf is genuinely thick, and likely to be a disastrous leader. This is from someone who really knows

Splendid
  • Options

kle4 said:

Ms Forbes got 3,331 of Ms Regan's second preferences, Mr Yousaf got 1,696 of those second preferences

So Reganites smashing it for Kate was bollox then.
  • Options

Your memory is poor.
    It is, but in this case how come?
  • Options

Rigged from the start, process shortened to make it difficult for the other candidates, full party apparatus supporting Uselss , skullduggery till the end and disaster for Scotland. Will also make it harder to get the evidence for court cases released for sure.

Leon said:

SUPERB

I think a 52-48 win by Forbes on second preferences, where she was behind on first preferences, would have been worse for the SNP.

A lot of the younger SNP members and supporters would have found it very hard to rally behind Forbes, and she didn't have strong support amongst MSPs either.

Yousaf is definitely the, "don't rock the boat," candidate, so a dramatic Truss-style implosion is least likely.
    Unfortunately it is The Titanic so rocking was not the problem.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

Scotland, overwhelmingly white, now has a First Minister (bar accidents) and what is essentially an Opposition Leader, who are both from Pakistani Muslim backgrounds.

Fascinating.

And the UK has a PM called Sunak. Farage et al must be doing his/their nut
  • Options
    Leon said:

I'm getting advice from Scottish insiders that Yousaf is genuinely thick, and likely to be a disastrous leader. This is from someone who really knows

Splendid

Scottish *Albanian* insiders by any chance?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yousef is no Truss.

No, he hasn't got Truss' brains
    Who has got them now? I'd heard it was going to be the Ashmolean but they'd had difficulty sourcing a small enough glass cabinet.
  • Options
    John Curtice on BBC. Yousaf has to offer offer Forbes some position. What happens if she doesn't take it? Queen over the water.
  • Options

Understatement of the century.
  • Options

Leon said:

Yousef is no Truss.

IDS?

Personally I would say Justin Trudeau and Andy Burnham (2015 grade).
    Are you on drugs??

I don't particularly like Justin Trudeau, and loathe much of his Woke politics, but I can see he has charisma and charm, if you're in the mood. And he is a proven winner

I don't see any of this in Yousaf, at all

A truly daft comparison
  • Options

kle4 said:

Looks like it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Regan preferences went 2:1 to Forbes
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Chris said:

Driver said:

Chris said:

Driver said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

What a tough time you must have had. As I said, I can only sympathise.
    Dear me, what on earth is your problem?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

I cringed
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783
    kle4 said:

60% Forbes to 30% Yousaf, Forbes needed 80% to swing the result - MSM virtually ignoring Regan didn’t help.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

They will have been shredded by now as normal
  • Options
    All new leaders usually get a boost, Yousaf should get one.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Splendid

But who knows? Maybe they're just influenced by the fact he isn't "lovely", "young" or "Christian"? And not even white, come to think of it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You halfwit I have been in Alba since day 1
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,266

kle4 said:

Nearly 2:1 is pretty strong for an internal party election, but people always underestimate the spread of preference transfers.
  • Options

All new leaders usually get a boost, Yousaf should get one.

Most new leaders are seen as an improvement over their predecessor. Is that the case here?
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

John Curtice on BBC. Yousaf has to offer offer Forbes some position. What happens if she doesn't take it? Queen over the water.

What’s the Scottish Government’s equivalent of Northern Ireland Secretary?
  • Options
    Useless faces a pretty existential question - what is the SNP for? He robustly defended the indefensible during the debates, where even catastrofucks like the ferry procurement was apparently something to be proud of.

You can't make the case for independence by being functionally shit as a government. OK, so they are *less* shit than the Westminster government but that is a pretty low bar.

The challenge for Dross, Anus and Alex English-Accent is to be relevant. Their opposition to independence has been their USP, and with Useless now in the FM chair it needs to be competence. Sturgeon looked and sounded competent even if it was just a veneer. He won't have that luxury...
  • Options

Can I just thank all the right wing Unionists, almost all of whom don't have a vote in Scotland let alone in the leadership election, for their slobbering over Kate and hating on Humza. It was all most persuasive.

I wonder if it was deliberate move, by the horrible Spectator Mob - to praise Forbes to the skies, and KEEP mentioning her religious views, so the progressive SNP members would reluctantly turn down the most obviously talented candidate, in favour of this Woke knob Yousaf

You've been stitched up and kippered by the nasty rightwing English intellgentsia
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    TOPPING said:

@Theuniondivvie

TIA

Smartarse response: Humza is now leader of the SNP. He's also very strong odds on to be next FM.

Less smartarse, he will really have to grow on the job (which unlike that weirdo Truss I think he may be capable of doing) or there'll be another leadership election after a bad result, eg the next UK GE.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722

Leon said:

SUPERB

Agree. The two front runners are flawed in their different ways. The one they chose is less divisive and therefore less of a direct threat to the party, which presumably the members care about.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,001
    They didn't really have much of a choice. Reg Ashton was remotely operated by Salmond using an app and Forbes was Vanilla ISIS with antediluvian cultural values. So it had to be the other one. Good luck to him because he's going to need it.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

@Theuniondivvie

TIA

Smart arse response: Humza is now leader of the SNP. He's also very strong odds on to be next FM.

Less smartarse, he will really have to grow on the job (which unlike that weirdo Truss I think he may be capable of doing) or there'll be another leadership election after a bad result, eg the next UK GE.
    Thanks but what does it mean for the independence aspirations of the SNP and the balance of Scottish politics?

What about a header, while we're at it?!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    Rather shocking that life expectancy for men in the US is just 73 according to the latest figures.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/01/why-american-men-die-younger-than-women-on-average-and-how-to-fix-it.html
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Some comments on Wings over Scotland after this result

'What a crock!

Bye-bye SNP, bye-bye…

Don’t let the door hit your ar$e on the way out of Scotland’s political scene.

Humbug Yousless… Ha-ha-ha! Good luck! You’ll fricking need it!'

'LIke I said today is the day the SNP died.'

'Today we witness the SNP demise as a party and Scotland independence movement dead and buried for good.'
    '
    …And so the longest suicide note in history is signed off by the SNP.'

'Well fuck me. What an absolute disaster.
    PLEASE ALBA, stand candidates in every constituency. Otherwise I’m going to have to spoil my ballot.'
    https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-hollow-crown/
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Splendid

Scottish *Albanian* insiders by any chance?
    If that's a pun on Alba and Albanian, it's very good!
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,505
    Have the Scottish Greens said anything yet?

Or will they keep quiet until negotiations are over?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

AlistairM said:

What’s the Scottish Government’s equivalent of Northern Ireland Secretary?
    Minister for Ferry Procurement.
  • Options

kle4 said:

So, Forbes needed around 90% of the transfers but got 66%. Good, but it always seemed a little unrealistic for her to get almost all the transfers in this situation.

At least the 500 or so non transfers didn't prove decisive, imagine the rage.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,993
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

You halfwit I have been in Alba since day 1
    Colour me surprised. NOT!
This discussion has been closed.