Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Round-up – how punters see the next general election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    edited March 2023

Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:

Underwhelming England performance in the second half. Saka and Bellingham both add something special to the team, both have an ability to make things happen. Pity that the defence is so lacklustre and leaden footed.

What do you expect with Maguire playing
    Anyone would think we had lost the match, reading the garbage on PB. In fact, we have just beaten Italy in Naples with ten men.

Funny old world.
    Yes, grinding out an away win in a tough place to go. Nothing to complain about.
    The last time we won away to Italy was 62 years ago apparently. I assume that was with all eleven blokes on the pitch too.
    Shaw was sent off in the 80th minute but their second half performance was poor even when he was on the pitch
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,134

dr_spyn said:

Underwhelming England performance in the second half. Saka and Bellingham both add something special to the team, both have an ability to make things happen. Pity that the defence is so lacklustre and leaden footed.

An odd analysis given we played 15 minutes of football with ten men
    Perfectly accurate analysis of the second half
    The analysis desperately lacks context.

You are not going to have everything your own way in Naples against the European champions. And the last 15 minutes of the game was played with ten men,
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    Ronaldo went on to 120 international goals tonight. Does put Kane’s 54 into some sort of perspective.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    Maguire does not inspire confidence. Slow lumbering poor passer of the ball and as a result gave Italy a goal. Why he is in the team is beyond my understanding of football which admittedly isnt stellar
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,046
    Foxy said:

It's because of this:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/ex-labour-councillor-wants-sir-8271019#amp-readmore-target

There was a council vote brought to abolish the directly elected city mayor by some dissident councillors to try to get rid of Sir Peter Soulsby. They lost, and have been de-selected in consequence.
    And are trying to say it is racism. Classy.
  • Options

Dmitry Medvedev says that Ukraine is part of Russia and the border is an artificial invention...

What a philosopher he is, pondering about the artificiality of all borders. Except those of Russia of course.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,323

dr_spyn said:

You are not going to have everything your own way in Naples against the European champions. And the last 15 minutes of the game was played with ten men,
    I read the above comments and assumed without hesitation that England had been soundly beaten. Imagine my surprise when...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796
    edited March 2023

dr_spyn said:

Anyone would think we had lost the match, reading the garbage on PB. In fact, we have just beaten Italy in Naples with ten men.

Funny old world.
    I have been into football since 1953 and recognise a bad player when I see one, and as a Man Utd supporter since that time I can tell you that Maguire is a liability to the England side as we saw tonight
    I can't really see what Maguire did wrong tonight. He may not be deserving of his place in the England team but he was pretty solid today imo. We lost the midfield after the break, Phillips and Rice looked tired.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Cookie said:

Phil said:

geoffw said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

These people are laughable, but I almost agree with them about La Poste starting an online bank called "Ma French Bank". Imagine if the post office here opened "My banque anglais" here.

We have Pret A Manger, although I suppose that's mitigated by everyone mispronouncing the first word.
    It's not pronounced "pret"? This is messing with my mind.
    A native french speaker won’t sound the t on the end of pret. (Also, it’s prêt à manger but the accents would just confuse I guess.)
    He/she would before the vowel

I think that varies these days - for an older generation you’re right though & it’s certainly the way I was taught.
    Why do you think it varies these days?
    On French pronunciation: I am at the outer limits of my expertise here, but it is my understanding/limited experience that while Parisian (sp?) French - which is the French we were taught in schools - is, to English ears, willfully awkward in its pronunciation, in the south, words are pronounced a lot more how an Anglophone might expect - i.e. words are largely pronounced in their entireity.

Bloody difficult language for an English speaker, French.
    Nowhere near as difficult as German. At least the nouns and verbs are in the right place even if the adjectives aren’t.
    German pronounciation is however very much easier than French. Also, although the grammar is painful and difficult, you'll find most Germans don't worry much about it and use the same kind of approximations we would. It's only in formal speech that you have to worry about cases and word order.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    In Gareth we trust!
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

I read the above comments and assumed without hesitation that England had been soundly beaten. Imagine my surprise when...
    Indeed. Peak PB.

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368

dr_spyn said:

Funny old world.
    I have been into football since 1953 and recognise a bad player when I see one, and as a Man Utd supporter since that time I can tell you that Maguire is a liability to the England side as we saw tonight
    I can't really see what Maguire did wrong tonight. He may not be deserving of his place in the England team but he was pretty solid today imo. We lost the midfield after the break, Phillips and Rice looked tired.
    If you call giving away a goal a solid performance.....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,823
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

It's because of this:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/ex-labour-councillor-wants-sir-8271019#amp-readmore-target

There was a council vote brought to abolish the directly elected city mayor by some dissident councillors to try to get rid of Sir Peter Soulsby. They lost, and have been de-selected in consequence.
    And are trying to say it is racism. Classy.
    More about cliques that are not particularly nationally relevant. Soulsbyites vs Vazites is perhaps not too far off.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    edited March 2023

dr_spyn said:

Funny old world.
    His yellow card tackle led to Italy's goal and he got away with another error in defence shortly after
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    TimS said:

Cookie said:

Phil said:

geoffw said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

These people are laughable, but I almost agree with them about La Poste starting an online bank called "Ma French Bank". Imagine if the post office here opened "My banque anglais" here.

We have Pret A Manger, although I suppose that's mitigated by everyone mispronouncing the first word.
    It's not pronounced "pret"? This is messing with my mind.
    A native french speaker won’t sound the t on the end of pret. (Also, it’s prêt à manger but the accents would just confuse I guess.)
    He/she would before the vowel

I think that varies these days - for an older generation you’re right though & it’s certainly the way I was taught.
    Why do you think it varies these days?
    On French pronunciation: I am at the outer limits of my expertise here, but it is my understanding/limited experience that while Parisian (sp?) French - which is the French we were taught in schools - is, to English ears, willfully awkward in its pronunciation, in the south, words are pronounced a lot more how an Anglophone might expect - i.e. words are largely pronounced in their entireity.

Bloody difficult language for an English speaker, French.
    Nowhere near as difficult as German. At least the nouns and verbs are in the right place even if the adjectives aren’t.
    You're in good company:

The Awful German Language

Mark Twain

https://faculty.georgetown.edu/jod/texts/twain.german.html
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,138
    kle4 said:

Dmitry Medvedev says that Ukraine is part of Russia and the border is an artificial invention...

What a philosopher he is, pondering about the artificiality of all borders. Except those of Russia of course.
    I suspect he agrees that Russia's borders are artificial and therefore Russia should extend to cover the whole of Eurasia.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387

dr_spyn said:

Funny old world.
    Southgate once again very poor at managing his resources from the bench. He really can’t see what is needed to change a game that is not going well.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

isn't that the whole casus belli?

They came up with so many different ones it is hard to keep track. It's certainly one of the more persistent pretexts.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446

kle4 said:

I suspect he agrees that Russia's borders are artificial and therefore Russia should extend to cover the whole of Eurasia.
    A Little Respect!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

dr_spyn said:

Funny old world.
    Southgate once again very poor at managing his resources from the bench. He really can’t see what is needed to change a game that is not going well.
    True.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Funny old world.
    His yellow card tackle led to Italy's goal and he got away with another error in defence shortly after
    The referee waved play on. It's not like the tackle led to a free-kick that Italy scored, or that Maguire gave the ball away.

England including Maguire defended well for the last 15 minutes under a lot of pressure. In the past they'd have inevitably lost the lead. 2-1 away to Italy is a great result.
  • Options
    Hmmm...

Maybe my idea of taking Mrs P away for a romantic few days in Paris in April wasn't such a great plan.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/23/workers-block-paris-airport-terminal-pension-protests-continue-france
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Funny old world.
    The referee waved play on. It's not like the tackle led to a free-kick that Italy scored, or that Maguire gave the ball away.

England including Maguire defended well for the last 15 minutes under a lot of pressure. In the

past they'd have inevitably lost the lead. 2-1 away to Italy is a great result.
    Indeed. Some utterly crackers posts tonight.

(@davidl excepted - it’s true we didn’t use our bench well)

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370

In the north we pronounce Pret a Manger as "Greggs".

Greggs?! Luxury. Pound Bakery is what you have in the proper north.
  • Options

The Modi story reminds me of a classic Soviet/Russian joke. Here's a current version:

A Russian gets drunk and begins marching around the Kremlin shouting, "Putin is a madman! Putin is a madman!"

He is arrested immediately, given a quick trial, and receives a sentence of eleven years.

Why eleven? One year for insulting the president of Russia, ten years for revealing a state secret.

(The first version I heard -- many decades ago -- made Khrushchev the target of the drunk.)

Whilst we have some political injokes we do appear to lack the sheer volume of classic Soviet jokes
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    biggles said:

You can afford pounds? Round ere bakeries don't charge more'n 50p cos that's all we can afford!
  • Options

No Percy Ingles??
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

biggles said:

You can afford pounds? Round ere bakeries don't charge more'n 50p cos that's all we can afford!
    50p?! Round here you don't see anything above a groat, people are so poor....
  • Options

Your endless salt of the earth northerner schtick is wearing
  • Options

ydoethur said:

biggles said:

Bullshit, you live in Winchcombe. The only people who can"t afford fecking Waitrose are the ones who follow my tips at the cricket.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

ydoethur said:

biggles said:

We have to get up at half past two to STOCK the bakeries. And we pay the bakery owner a groat for ‘t privilege.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,899
  • Options

Eddie Waring?
  • Options
    Are you saying you don't support the rule of law?

I appreciate your hero Johnson ignores it but even so...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    kle4 said:

I think we should discuss the Ukraine/Republic Of China border.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    These sound like pretty toxic negotiations.

https://www.reddit.com/r/JuniorDoctorsUK/comments/11zhdox/update_bma_negotiations_2232023/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

So the Juniors are out on strike again 11-15 April, the week of the Easter holidays. That is going to be a problem, with a lot of leave booked.
  • Options

Calling out other peoples' schticks and tracking of use of bog standard english language cliches is not a schtick I take it?
  • Options

I support the bloke about to get his skull caved in by Thatchers bully boys
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Hmmm...

Maybe my idea of taking Mrs P away for a romantic few days in Paris in April wasn't such a great plan.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/23/workers-block-paris-airport-terminal-pension-protests-continue-france

I dunno, dinner by (flaming) torchlight?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

biggles said:

You have a groat! Luuuuuuuxury!

{rips lid off a double case of Chateau de Chasselier}

When I was a lad….
  • Options
    You do make it a bit easy sometimes. If you want to say Starmer is too authoritarian or too 'establishment', fine, but a quote about the rule of law being important? It's not magically transformed into something else by a picture, the words themselves remain unobjectionable, whoever he chose to quote.

Many political statements are so anodyne they could not be reasonably be disagreed with by anyone (I believe in this country, I care about young people etc), and one about the rule of law is up there.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    edited March 2023
    Do you think it doesn't piss off other long time Labour supporters that huge numbers of them support hanging Brexit flogging in schools Rwanda for foreigners and are more immigrrant hating than the Tories?

Unfortunately those are the bulk of the Red Wallers that Labour need to win back to get in. I hate it that Starmer has to go against all his instincts to appeal to the likes of you but that's the way the cookie crumbles if we want to get rid of the Tories.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,316
    Nothing on the big story?
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-65048602

'Indian opposition leader Rahul Gandhi has been sentenced to two years in prison in a criminal defamation case.

The Congress MP was convicted by the court in Gujarat state for 2019 comments about Prime Minister Narendra Modi's surname at an election rally.'

• Options

Pretty sure Keir Starmer would not support people getting their skulls caved in if you asked him. What has he said to make you think otherwise? No, supporting the rule of law is not the answer.
  • Options
    You are completely, weirdly, obsessed with Sir Keir Starmer. It really is an unedifying spectacle.

Can we get the old Big John back at some point? I look forward to that day in hope if not expectation.
  • Options
    If anyonje is curious what my schtick is, it's 'the guy who is always right, even when he isn't'.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Nothing on the big story?
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-65048602

'Indian opposition leader Rahul Gandhi has been sentenced to two years in prison in a criminal defamation case.

The Congress MP was convicted by the court in Gujarat state for 2019 comments about Prime Minister Narendra Modi's surname at an election rally.'

"Speaking at a rally in Karnataka state in April 2019, Mr Gandhi had said: "Why do all these thieves have Modi as their surname? Nirav Modi, Lalit Modi, Narendra Modi."

"Nirav Modi is a fugitive Indian diamond tycoon while Lalit Modi is a former chief of the Indian Premier League who has been banned for life by the country's cricket board. Mr Gandhi argues that he made the comment to highlight corruption and it was not directed against any community."

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,584

Hmmm...

Who are you going to take instead? Mrs P won't be best pleased.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pretty sure Keir Starmer would not support people getting their skulls caved in if you asked him. What has he said to make you think otherwise? No, supporting the rule of law is not the answer.
    To pull a Godwin, Hitler was right when he said Communism was a menace to Europe.

That doesn't mean I think his actions to try to stop it, leaving his actions in many other fields, were justified or effective.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The Modi story reminds me of a classic Soviet/Russian joke. Here's a current version:

A Russian gets drunk and begins marching around the Kremlin shouting, "Putin is a madman! Putin is a madman!"

He is arrested immediately, given a quick trial, and receives a sentence of eleven years.

Why eleven? One year for insulting the president of Russia, ten years for revealing a state secret.

(The first version I heard -- many decades ago -- made Khrushchev the target of the drunk.)

Whilst we have some political injokes we do appear to lack the sheer volume of classic Soviet jokes
    East German joke

Why do the Border Guards always have two soldiers with a dog?

The dog does the thinking and and two soldiers are there to supervise the dangerous intellectual
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713

I'll opine on the balsamic glaze if you prefer.
  • Options

I wish you'd direct your ire towards the Tories then rather than voting for them.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/JuniorDoctorsUK/comments/11zhdox/update_bma_negotiations_2232023/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

So the Juniors are out on strike again 11-15 April, the week of the Easter holidays. That is going to be a problem, with a lot of leave booked.

You do have to wonder which idiot thought releasing that would help, and there is some nonsense in there I could pick apart. But it also does feel like DH is behind the curve with them on actually engaging. I presume the plan is to divide and conquer and say “why won’t they just accept the deal the nurses did” but that isn’t a strategy to stop people dying.
  • Options

Just try to enjoy food of all kinds instead of fretting about whether it suits your flat-cap fussy eater image
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If anyonje is curious what my schtick is, it's 'the guy who is always right, even when he isn't'.

Sorry, that’s taken.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pretty sure Keir Starmer would not support people getting their skulls caved in if you asked him
    IMO He would if he thought a few more people would vote for him to be PM if he was pro skull caving in
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,085

If we are doing Russian jokes, did you hear about Khrushchev and Nixon’s race around the Kremlin? Nixon won.

The next morning Pravda reported that in a race among world leaders, Khrushchev came second while the American President was next to last.

• Options

kle4 said:

Pretty sure Keir Starmer would not support people getting their skulls caved in if you asked him
    IMO He would if he thought a few more people would vote for him to be PM if he was pro skull caving in
    Historically speaking being a Tory Leader is a good way of becoming PM, he could put his name forward the next time the Tories look to do a switcharoo?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Historically speaking being a Tory Leader is a good way of becoming PM, he could put his name forward the next time the Tories look to do a switcharoo?
    Didn't work too well for Corbyn,although he was pretending to be Labour at the time.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Just try to enjoy food of all kinds instead of fretting about whether it suits your flat-cap fussy eater image
    I think it's brown sauce for flat caps, not balsamic.
  • Options

If we are doing Russian jokes, did you hear about Khrushchev and Nixon’s race around the Kremlin? Nixon won.

The next morning Pravda reported that in a race among world leaders, Khrushchev came second while the American President was next to last.

There is no Pravda in Izvestia. And no Izvestia in Pravda.
  • Options

Why are there two newspapers in Russia?

There is no news in Pravda and no truth in Izvestia.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Funny old world.

England including Maguire defended well for the last 15 minutes under a lot of pressure. In the past they'd have inevitably lost the lead. 2-1 away to Italy is a great result.
    Sky's player ratings confirm my comments on Maguire losing the ball for the goal

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12840977/italy-1-2-england-player-ratings-as-harry-kane-declan-rice-and-john-stones-help-three-lions-claim-victory
  • Options
    Foxy said:

They refused to even discuss anything less than a 35% increase. That’s not serious
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713

While there is a Pret on every street in That London, there is a Greggs on every street in The Toon.

That is what I was alluding to.

Back in the halcyon days when we could claim for lunch on expenses, I would use the Pret at King's Cross when visiting London.

• Options

I wish you'd direct your ire towards the Tories then rather than voting for them.
    How many time do you have to be told I have never voted Tory and wont be voting for either of the Tory Parties next time either.

People seem to think getting rid of the Tories is a goal in itself if you replace them with a Party with virtually identical policies and a bloke in the pay of former Tory Donors makes no odds AFAICS
  • Options

Foxy said:

They refused to even discuss anything less than a 35% increase. That’s not serious
    Or that 35% thing could be a complete lie?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    TERF

Sir Keir Starmer will lose the general election campaign "on day one" unless he shifts his position on transgender rights, party strategists have warned.

Advisers have been telling the Labour leader since late 2021 to "deal with" the issue and explain to voters that "self-ID is not going to happen".

Sir Keir's position has evolved in recent days. At an event in Stoke-on-Trent on Thursday, he said: "I think that if we reflect on what's happened in Scotland, the lesson I take from that is that if you're going to make reforms, you have to carry the public with you.

"And I think that's a very important message, and I think that's why it's clear that in Scotland there should be a reset of the situation."

This contrasts with a commitment two years ago to introduce "self-declaration for trans people".

https://news.sky.com/story/keir-starmer-will-lose-election-campaign-on-day-one-over-his-trans-rights-position-labour-strategists-warn-12841099
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,138

There is no Pravda in Izvestia. And no Izvestia in Pravda.
    A local traffic patrol pulled over a suspicious car driving around in Mariupol a few nights ago. When the officer got back to the station he said he had to let them off because it was someone far too important.

"Who was it?" asked his colleague.

"Well I couldn't see clearly... but his driver was Putin!"
  • Options

Foxy said:

Or that 35% thing could be a complete lie?
    Tell that to the Beeb

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65052816.amp

• Options
    edited March 2023

TERF

Sir Keir Starmer will lose the general election campaign "on day one" unless he shifts his position on transgender rights, party strategists have warned.

Advisers have been telling the Labour leader since late 2021 to "deal with" the issue and explain to voters that "self-ID is not going to happen".

Sir Keir's position has evolved in recent days. At an event in Stoke-on-Trent on Thursday, he said: "I think that if we reflect on what's happened in Scotland, the lesson I take from that is that if you're going to make reforms, you have to carry the public with you.

"And I think that's a very important message, and I think that's why it's clear that in Scotland there should be a reset of the situation."

This contrasts with a commitment two years ago to introduce "self-declaration for trans people".

https://news.sky.com/story/keir-starmer-will-lose-election-campaign-on-day-one-over-his-trans-rights-position-labour-strategists-warn-12841099

I think if Labour were deemed to have a position like that of the SNP (as it is perceived at least), then it would hurt them (lacking the advantage of Indy support the SNP have), but it's a bit dramatic and pessimistic to think it would so overpower the view of everything else that it would scupper their chances.

But he certainly does not want to take the chance it seems.

My general position isthat people are confused on the details of most issues, or ambivalent let's say, so they certainly don't want to discriminate against any groups and are dismissive of those who bang on about it all the time, but also just don't buy that some bureaucratic hurdles is an outrage or discriminatory (and the perception is activists thinks it is).
  • Options

TERF

The tide is turning. At the risk of mixing metaphors, I hope the pendulum doesn't swing too far the other way but some of the nonsense expounded by extreme trans-rights campaigners is clearly not going not going to get implemented, nor should it.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Barclay refused to make any offer at all. The BMA position is an opening position.
  • Options

TERF

The tide is turning. At the risk of mixing metaphors, I hope the pendulum doesn't swing too far the other way but some of the nonsense expounded by extreme trans-rights campaigners is clearly not going not going to get implemented, nor should it.
    Swinging too far is a fair enough concern, and certainly the fear of that happening has beeen propounded to encourage movement in the other direction, but strange as it feels to say I think the public has more common sense on this than political operators. People who lapse into tropes implying all trans people are sexual predators or the like get short shrift, just as when you look at some of those extreme trans-right campaigners proposals or statements they are often dismissed as should not be implemented - but then again that's only because others stepped in!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Barclay refused to make any offer at all. The BMA position is an opening position.
    According to the BBC they were offered a structure of a pay rise from April and a one off base payment

If someone’s open position is ridiculous sometimes the right thing is not to counter
  • Options
    Could I pitch this as an idea for SKS's next PPB!

https://mobile.twitter.com/sue_lees/status/1639019420784771073/photo/1
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TERF

Swinging too far is a fair enough concern, and certainly the fear of that happening has beeen propounded to encourage movement in the other direction, but strange as it feels to say I think the public has more common sense on this than political operators. People who lapse into tropes implying all trans people are sexual predators or the like get short shrift, just as when you look at some of those extreme trans-right campaigners proposals or statements they are often dismissed as should not be implemented - but then again that's only because others stepped in!
    Organisations that tweet nonsense like this?

It is so disappointing to see World Athletics announce a unilateral ban on trans women in track and field events.

Their own statement recognises that there are no trans women competing at an international level and that they have no specific evidence to justify the ban.

We stand with trans people who now have the door closed on their chance to compete in athletic sports at an international level.

https://twitter.com/stonewalluk/status/1638966233608642560?s=20

There is no "ban" on trans women. Only the requirement that they compete with their peers who they went through puberty with.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

According to the BBC they were offered a structure of a pay rise from April and a one off base payment

If someone’s open position is ridiculous sometimes the right thing is not to counter
    No, that is the offer to the nurses and other AFC staff. No offer has been made for medical staff at all.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907

How many time do you have to be told I have never voted Tory and wont be voting for either of the Tory Parties next time either.

People seem to think getting rid of the Tories is a goal in itself if you replace them with a Party with virtually identical policies and a bloke in the pay of former Tory Donors makes no odds AFAICS
    Boris fan boy attempts reverse ferret but fails.
  • Options

TERF

There is concern among some in the LGB community that the trans rights extremists are risking the rights LGB people have won - in particular among Lesbians, let alone damaging the acceptance that trans people deserve.

The authoritarian "no debate" crowd have done plenty of harm as it is.

In the UK we're fortunate that the debate has been entered by people across the political spectrum, many from the left. The US is much less fortunate in that its largely been left to the right to run with while Democrats repeat fatuous mantras and lionise grifters like Dylan Mulvaney.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I do have some sympathy with this view - I see it a bit like the purported CSI effect where people expect a lot more than can reasonably be or need be provided to make a case. Fan though I am of lawyers, not every procedural event or proceeding needs to be a pseudo courtroom trial. This affair is really political more than anything else, and there is a place for politics.

Lawyers don't make everything clearer or fairer.

One of the striking things with this whole episode is how legalised things became. An evidence session transformed into a hearing. Legal submissions from counsel were published. It was easy to forget that this was simply a parliamentary proceeding (if a rather unusual one)

https://twitter.com/AlexanderHorne1/status/1638907761151844355

I see this as, like Miller 2, Marcus Ball’s attempted private prosecution, and some of the GLP’s Covid cases, an instance of Boris Johnson as a prime ministerial lightning rod for lawfare - legal process with political consequences. I’m broadly resistant to this development 1/2

I think it leads both to some people over-valuing the clerisy of lawyers above political events and consequences, and to the extreme reaction that that provokes - the denigration of “enemies of the people”, “kangaroo courts” etc. Some people even veer between these opposites 2/2

https://twitter.com/BarbaraRich_law/status/1638952406250561552?cxt=HHwWoICxpfWh3b4tAAAA
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    Driver said:

malcolmg said:

Re: Scotland and Westminster, one thing that I noted re: yesterday's HoC vote on Windsor Framework, was that both Alba MPs were recorded as not voting.

Does anyone know why?

Of course, all parties had some no-shows, also independents as a group (or rather gaggle). But only Alba 100%.

Nothing to do with Scotland
    Nor is England's Sunday trading hours.
    Fanny baws, they affected Scotland at the time
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Indeed.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited March 2023
    Around 120 top legal professionals are set to sign a 'Declaration of Conscience' vowing to refuse their services in prosecuting protesters from eco-groups such as Just Stop Oil and Extinction Rebellion.

Amid accusations of virtue signalling, the group – who call themselves 'Lawyers are Responsible' – will also refuse to act on behalf of clients involved in oil and gas on the grounds that they are destroying the environment.

Prominent lawyers understood to be involved are Jolyon Maugham KC, founder of the Good Law Project, and Sir Geoffrey Bindman KC, chairman of the British Institute of Human Rights.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11896725/Fury-woke-barristers-refusing-prosecute-eco-warriors.html
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,990
    "Bordeaux town hall set on fire in France pension protests"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65057249
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited March 2023
    Andy_JS said:

It doesn't count as a proper protest in France unless shit gets burned down.
  • Options

Around 120 top legal professionals are set to sign a 'Declaration of Conscience' vowing to refuse their services in prosecuting protesters from eco-groups such as Just Stop Oil and Extinction Rebellion.

Amid accusations of virtue signalling, the group – who call themselves 'Lawyers are Responsible' – will also refuse to act on behalf of clients involved in oil and gas on the grounds that they are destroying the environment.

Prominent lawyers understood to be involved are Jolyon Maugham KC, founder of the Good Law Project, and Sir Geoffrey Bindman KC, chairman of the British Institute of Human Rights.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11896725/Fury-woke-barristers-refusing-prosecute-eco-warriors.html

As they are top lawyers I assume this declaration has some caveats in it rather than just in effect declaring anyone with that motive should have a blank cheque (I am presuming that in theory they would like every lawyer to agree to such a declaration).
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Average last 10 polls.

Lab 45.7%
    Con 28.3%

Includes the poll putting the Tories on 20%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

And the one putting the Blues on 35%?
    Yes.
  • Options

This potentially creating yet more legal to determine if they can do this and comply with the cab rank rule. Trebles all round is, I think, the phrase.
  • Options

This sounds like a really bad idea, because lawyers with the opposite opinions may start doing the same sort of thing.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    edited March 2023
    Andy_JS said:

A 250 year old building too, all as the French retirement age is rising to 64.

An absolute disgrace. I hope Macron orders the gendarmes to crush these rioters using all necessary force!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Andy_JS said:

This sounds like a really bad idea, because lawyers with the opposite opinions may start doing the same sort of thing.
    So much for justice being blind. They should all be disbarred.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

An absolute disgrace. I hope Macron orders the gendarmes to crush these rioters using all necessary force!
    No wonder they are desperate to escape across the channel.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,126
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Savages.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,126
    Jonathan said:

Don't attach him just because he is morally consistent.
  • Options
    I invest my pension in french municipal buildings, so I'm really annoyed.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

You see, there are the good lawyers who represent good people, and the bad lawyers who represent bad people (or prosecute good people).
This discussion has been closed.