Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Round-up – how punters see the next general election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

Dmitry Medvedev says that Ukraine is part of Russia and the border is an artificial invention...

isn't that the whole casus belli?

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    Oh and while I’m ranting, the likes of Shearer, Jenas, and Wright are at least capable of being coherent and using complete sentences. Why they ever ring people like Joey Barton is beyond me.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    Phil said:

geoffw said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

These people are laughable, but I almost agree with them about La Poste starting an online bank called "Ma French Bank". Imagine if the post office here opened "My banque anglais" here.

We have Pret A Manger, although I suppose that's mitigated by everyone mispronouncing the first word.
    It's not pronounced "pret"? This is messing with my mind.
    A native french speaker won’t sound the t on the end of pret. (Also, it’s prêt à manger but the accents would just confuse I guess.)
    He/she would before the vowel

I think that varies these days - for an older generation you’re right though & it’s certainly the way I was taught.
    Why do you think it varies these days?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Italy are wearing the wrong shade of blue.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Dmitry Medvedev says that Ukraine is part of Russia and the border is an artificial invention...

I am sure their new bestie China concurs that many borders are artificial inventions. The ones in Siberia for example.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    DavidL said:
    About blooming time. See what happens when people start discussing things?
  • Options
    The rot has set in.
    It was inevitable.
  • Options
    Oh no! Italy pull one back!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Medvedev must have at least tripled his vodka intake recently. Threatening the ICC with a hypersonic missile sounds like somebody who is horribly rattled by his prospects.

Heh.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I know Johnson is an absolute arse, but I stumbled on a batch of twitter nonsense claiming he didn’t actually have covid, and that even if he did it was mild and not needing hospital care.
    He clearly wasn’t ventilated, but I can readily believe an overweight, unfit mid fifties male with no protection became seriously enough ill to require oxygen.

I was told it was that serious that the palace asked the cabinet to have a successor to Boris Johnson ready.

Presumably would have been Rabb?

Lord JohnO of PB would now be on the red leather benches and looking truly magisterial clad in ermine :D
    It isn't automatically the DPM. Indeed, I believe the Coalition Agreement was explicit that Clegg would step in when Cameron was unavailable for planned reasons but NOT if he was incapacitated.

It's not like the US where there is anything automatic about it, and indeed there often is no DPM.
    Sort of feels like maybe we should have a clear and defind plan for that regardless of whether the PM's ill in hospital or not, to account for the unlikely but possible situations of hit by bus/asteroid/Captain Trips/nuclear war/alien invasion/woke AI robot uprising.
    There is something to be said for flexibility. At the moment, if Sunak fell under the proverbial, it would not be ideal for Raab as DPM to step in given there is an inquiry into his behaviour reporting imminently. Probably Hunt would do it in the interim by acclaim, and that would be a better, more stabilising position.

Similarly, whilst I can't immediately recall a terrible VP who has had to step up, there are a couple who haven't. Spiro Agnew and Dan Quayle spring to mind as people who might have been problematic.
    Oh, I understand the flexibility point. Just, you'd hope that in some sort of "designated survivor" style incident we're not relying on the people who'd make the decision on who should be the replacement to also not be out of commission themselves. Presumably there is sufficient continuity of government to make that obvious, in which case presumably the one-off instance of replacing the PM at very short notice is also itself part of that understood process and not overly reliant on that sometimes peculiarly vague notion of "parliamentary convention".
    In a Guy Fawkes scenario, we have a permanent Civil Service to run things while elections are organised. It's not ideal - clearly it's not ideal if a dirty bomb takes out Parliament - but I'm not sure having the junior fisheries minister hide in a bunker so there is someone to sign papers for six weeks is either necessary or useful for a mid sized power.
  • Options
    I see Iran played Russia today. Iran should be thrown out of FIFA and AFC.
  • Options
    Maguire showing why he is way down the pecking order at Man Utd
  • Options

Half-time 2-0

England = Labour
    Italy = Tories

:lol:

Labour polling just took a big dip.....
  • Options

Medvedev must have at least tripled his vodka intake recently. Threatening the ICC with a hypersonic missile sounds like somebody who is horribly rattled by his prospects.

Heh.
    You have to remember that all senior Russian officials are expending 50% of their mental energy keeping away from those dangerous high windows.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,933
    This is 100x better than anything the late, lamented (tramadol) Leon came out with:

https://twitter.com/MegaHeid/status/1638508112905641985?t=d2woMIrWCBFiKQnqCek0Qw&s=19
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,313

Nothing less than we deserve. Dominant

biggles said:

geoffw said:

There should be an option to switch off the idiot commentators and keep the crowd noise.

I found MoTD without commentators or pundits to be a major improvement. Only missed the theme tune.
    Bore off
    Tbf the ITV commentary team are a bit pants
    "England are on top and I think that's why they're winning...."
    If they're going to keep going with the female analysts or commentators, they need to find some decent ones

TMS gave us Alison Mitchell; I think she's superb
    I don’t have issues with female analysts except for one thing - playing top level womens football does not automatically grant insight into the mens game (and give versa). The womens game is gaining popularity, but their is no comparison between the womens premier league and the mens.
    But you also don’t need to have played the game to be a great analyst, and certainly not to be a great commentator.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292

Maguire showing why he is way down the pecking order at Man Utd

With the best two centre backs in Serie A available for England but not even in the squad.....
  • Options

biggles said:

geoffw said:

There should be an option to switch off the idiot commentators and keep the crowd noise.

I found MoTD without commentators or pundits to be a major improvement. Only missed the theme tune.
    Bore off
    C4 and yes they are but it was the PB Tory Lineker reference that grated more
    Why? I have no beef with him, and think he is within his rights to post, stupid, deliberately provocative twitter posts. I do object to how much tax payers money he is paid for a few hours a week.* There are many excellent up and coming presenters who deserve a shot for a 10th money. Why not try the Have I Got News approach? Rotating presenters?

*The licence fee is a tax, no question. It’s a tax on watching telly.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    boulay said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

These people are laughable, but I almost agree with them about La Poste starting an online bank called "Ma French Bank". Imagine if the post office here opened "My banque anglais" here.

We have Pret A Manger, although I suppose that's mitigated by everyone mispronouncing the first word.
    A native french speaker won’t sound the t on the end of pret. (Also, it’s prêt à manger but the accents would just confuse I guess.)
    That’s not correct. The “t” is pronounced by native French speakers.
    Not in the word 'pret' but in 'pret a porter' the 't' is pronounced. I don't know why
  • Options
    edited March 2023

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off
    If they're going to keep going with the female analysts or commentators, they need to find some decent ones

I don’t have issues with female analysts except for one thing - playing top level womens football does not automatically grant insight into the mens game (and give versa). The womens game is gaining popularity, but their is no comparison between the womens premier league and the mens.
    But you also don’t need to have played the game to be a great analyst, and certainly not to be a great commentator.
    We see this with men, they might have been internationals, but they become detached from the modern game and their analysis is just bollocks. One of the best football analytic bods is female, Sarah Rudd, never a high level player.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    What a lovely pink heart. Now tell us why you voted down the amendment to stop rapists being housed in women’s jails,
    @HumzaYousaf
    #IslaBryson #KatieDolatowski #ParisGreen

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1638942365338710020?s=20
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Also, which border isn’t an artificial construction? On that idea I’m claiming Frome for Wiltshire…
  • Options

geoffw said:

Also, which border isn’t an artificial construction? On that idea I’m claiming Frome for Wiltshire…
    The Tamar. The good Lord knew to keep those heathens from Devon out.
  • Options

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off

It is kind of weird that we only get ex-player analysts on the TV, rather than any actual expert analysts
  • Options

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off

It is kind of weird that we only get ex-player analysts on the TV, rather than any actual expert analysts
    Its like covid press conferences ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 2023

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off

This is where Channel 4 did so much for cricket. The Simon Hughes analyst role, as well as proper jargon busting. All led by Richie - the best there was. He never spoke too much or stated the obvious.
  • Options
    If you think CH4 commentary is bad, i am having to watch the soccerball on FS1 from the US....they have claimed Maguire and now Walker have been booked twice....
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off

This is where Channel 4 did so much for cricket. The Simon Hughes analyst role, as well as proper jargon busting. All led by Richie - the best there was. He never spoke too much or stated the obvious.
    Without CH4 getting the cricket, no hawkeye, no snicko....
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/23/ofsted-schools-teachers-inspection

For @dixiedean and @ydoethur :

'All of which begs a broader question about what exactly Ofsted is for. Should inspectors be hawks, swooping suddenly to catch schools out, or collaborators focused on helping teachers improve? Could that answer vary depending on whether we’re talking about safeguarding or, say, children’s personal development?'
  • Options

biggles said:

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off

Arguably then Ch4 are responsible for VAR…
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    biggles said:

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off

Hughes and Benaud were both ex-players, though. Most commentators always have been.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,774
    biggles said:

geoffw said:

The Tamar. The good Lord knew to keep those heathens from Devon out.
    Proper natural borders of the world: Pyrenees, Channel, Rhine, Watford Gap etc.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505

Phil said:

geoffw said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

I think that varies these days - for an older generation you’re right though & it’s certainly the way I was taught.
    On French pronunciation: I am at the outer limits of my expertise here, but it is my understanding/limited experience that while Parisian (sp?) French - which is the French we were taught in schools - is, to English ears, willfully awkward in its pronunciation, in the south, words are pronounced a lot more how an Anglophone might expect - i.e. words are largely pronounced in their entireity.

Bloody difficult language for an English speaker, French.
  • Options

biggles said:

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off

Yup. Growing up, all we had was keys being jammed in to the pitch.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

I know Johnson is an absolute arse, but I stumbled on a batch of twitter nonsense claiming he didn’t actually have covid, and that even if he did it was mild and not needing hospital care.
    He clearly wasn’t ventilated, but I can readily believe an overweight, unfit mid fifties male with no protection became seriously enough ill to require oxygen.

I was posting about this last night. Bad Al Campbell was responsible for peddling this nonsense to a wide audience after he replied to someone on Twitter.

Barbara Chambers. Proud to be a blob.
    @wokinglass
    ·
    Mar 21
    Does anyone actually believe that Johnson nearly died of COVID?

ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    15h
    Replying to
    @wokinglass
    No.
    It up there with Boris is hiding the bodies stuff.
    I can just about believe that he would not have been transferred to hospital quite that quickly nor to Intensive Care quite that early if he had not been the prime minister. But Campbell really is being a tit.
    According to Alistair Campbell, he was a victim of the Iraq War. And had a really, really tough time over it.
  • Options

biggles said:

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off

Arguably then Ch4 are responsible for VAR…
    No that is 100% on football authorities managing to come up with the worst possible system, unlike cricket & tennis who operate it in the basis of a challenge aystem.
  • Options
    Driver said:

biggles said:

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off

Hughes and Benaud were both ex-players, though. Most commentators always have been.
    They were. But Bernard in particular did a full set of training with the BBC. And Hughes really found an analytical niche in the game. Often these days they just stick an old ex-player (or current player) on and let them speak utter crap.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,774
    Cookie said:

Phil said:

geoffw said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

On French pronunciation: I am at the outer limits of my expertise here, but it is my understanding/limited experience that while Parisian (sp?) French - which is the French we were taught in schools - is, to English ears, willfully awkward in its pronunciation, in the south, words are pronounced a lot more how an Anglophone might expect - i.e. words are largely pronounced in their entireity.

Nowhere near as difficult as German. At least the nouns and verbs are in the right place even if the adjectives aren’t.
  • Options
    Shaw off
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Driver said:

biggles said:

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off

Sky now have the cricviz analyst guys on the payroll. They might not appear on screen, but they provide a huge amount of the talking points for the "talent" & have a presence in thr commentary box.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    edited March 2023
    Bordeaux Town Hall, over 2 centuries old, set on fire by protestors in France protesting over Macron's government's plan to raise the retirement age to 64

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65057249
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Phil said:

geoffw said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liaison_(French)

"Pret a manger" would be pronounced with the "t".
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    edited March 2023
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/23/ofsted-schools-teachers-inspection

For @dixiedean and @ydoethur :

'All of which begs a broader question about what exactly Ofsted is for. Should inspectors be hawks, swooping suddenly to catch schools out, or collaborators focused on helping teachers improve? Could that answer vary depending on whether we’re talking about safeguarding or, say, children’s personal development?'

The 10 year free pass for outstanding schools was an insane idea. Not only could they coast, but they then have an SLT and staff who pretty much have no experience of the process.
    Smacks of the attitude that the rich need incentivising with more money by paying less tax. While the poor need less money by sanctioning benefits.
  • Options
    Roger said:

boulay said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

Not in the word 'pret' but in 'pret a porter' the 't' is pronounced. I don't know why
  • Options
    Southgate really really doesn't like Foden....
  • Options

Cookie said:

Phil said:

geoffw said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

Sunil, may I introduce you to Roger? Roger lives in France and needs a tutor to communicate with the natives.

• Options
    geoffw said:

Cookie said:

Phil said:

geoffw said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

Sunil, may I introduce you to Roger? Roger lives in France and needs a tutor to communicate with the natives.

Really? I find it better to ignore them. Great country. Great wine. Great food. And then there’s the French.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

geoffw said:

If you buy Russian "logic" there are about a dozen countries that were previously part of the Russian Empire or Soviet Union, with little or no full independence prior to that, that were taken over by Russia or the Bolsheviks that are "artificial". So dopey Dmitry is explaining why Ukraine has to win, because Russia will not stop at Ukraine.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,824

Foxy said:

It's because of this:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/ex-labour-councillor-wants-sir-8271019#amp-readmore-target

There was a council vote brought to abolish the directly elected city mayor by some dissident councillors to try to get rid of Sir Peter Soulsby. They lost, and have been de-selected in consequence.
    15 of the 29 BAME Labour Councillors deselected only 4 of the 22 white Labour Counciliors deselected.

A Labour spokesperson said diversity will be maintained or improved

Presumably a Party with a Heirarchy of racism thinks all brown people are the same anyway!!
    I don't think the fracas is primarily about either race or about post Corbynism. It seems to be about the fallout from the North Evington by election, in the seat where Caudia Webbe is currently the MP, post Keith Vaz, but won't be the Labour candidate at the GE..

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/oct/14/huge-swing-tories-local-byelection-leicester-area-unrest-north-evington

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    10 Saudi Arabian judges face the death penalty for being too soft on women's rights campaigners

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11895019/Ten-Saudi-Arabian-judges-face-death-penalty-soft-womens-rights-activists.html
  • Options
    glw said:

geoffw said:

If you buy Russian "logic" there are about a dozen countries that were previously part of the Russian Empire or Soviet Union, with little or no full independence prior to that, that were taken over by Russia or the Bolsheviks that are "artificial". So dopey Dmitry is explaining why Ukraine has to win, because Russia will not stop at Ukraine.
    That said, perhaps we should listen to him. Because on his logic we could take a fair chunk of France for our own. 🤔
  • Options
    Horse_BHorse_B Posts: 106
    Very canny move from Sir Keir to get his pension story off the front-pages and back onto Sunak and his richness.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,700
    Roger said:

boulay said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

Beause of the vowel after it
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Cookie said:

Phil said:

geoffw said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

I got GCSE A-grades in both French AND German :sunglasses:

(um, this was before all the A* silliness!)
  • Options
    glw said:

geoffw said:

{examines map of Angevin Empire}

Irredentism, you say?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551
    Phil said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

Are you one of those folk who make "coup de grace" rhyme with "mardi gras"?
    I did say a native french speaker ... my french is terrible. I do try and pronounce croissant correctly though.
    They would sound the 't', because when you run a word ending with a consonant into one beginning with a vowel, you sound the consonant. So you would not say 'pray a manger' you would say 'pret a manger'.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    Evening all :)

Plenty to be confused about re: the thread header. We don't know currently how Scotland will play out - were Labour to pick up 20-25 seats as a result of a fall in the SNP vote it would make the journey to a majority that much easier (in 1997 Labour won 56 seats in Scotland so would have won a clear majority anyway but that turned a Johnson-like 2019 majority into a landslide in excess of the 1983 Thatcher win).

Then we have the polling which teases and/or frustrates. You apparently can have 20% and 35% Conservative poll ratings at the same time - well, you can, it depends who you ask, how you weight the responses etc.

Yes of course the Conservatives have recovered under Sunk, no question - the last R&W under Truss was 54-21 and last Monday's poll was 47-26 so that's a 6% swing to the Conservatives - the last Deltapoll was 51-25 and it's now 45-35 so that's an 8% swing. The last Savanta was 51-25 now it's 45-31 so 6% swing again.

A consistent recovery across the pollsters despite the outliers but a long way for the Conservatives to go to dig themselves out of the hole into which they dug themselves (largely).
  • Options
    Brings back the old days - boot it up the field for a clearance
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    edited March 2023
    I led Teaching and Learning for an Adult Learning Inspectorate inspection.
    I was micromanaged and worked like a whole dog shelter for a year to ensure every piece of work was evidenced, every scheme of work impeccable and every lesson plan typed up in the same format.
    Management worked me like I've never been worked before.
    Course we passed T+L.
    But failed Management and Leadership. Because they assumed they were doing a grand job and couldn't be arsed doing the work they made me do.
    So we failed and had to do it all again a year later.
    But. It always struck me. If the teaching and learning is fine, why does the rest outweigh it? That the budget, HR, record keeping and other stuff (not Health+Safety and Safeguarding obvs, but they raised no issues on that score) really isn't that important if folk are learning?
    What is the point of the institution?
    A question this country dismally fails to ever ask.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,933

Or Ramsdale and White, part of the league-topping defence.
  • Options
    Saka 7/1 for player of the year. He’s been exceptional and deserves it more than that goal hanger.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,715
    FPT (yeah, yeah, I had to do some work - so sue me)
    biggles said:

kinabalu said:

No. Chartered Accountants are cool and interesting people.

You have an accidental full stop in the middle of that sentence. 😉
    I think you'll find Chartered Accountants are really interesting and cool actually.
    I mean, I'm just about to file a Confirmation Statement, and then I might consider whether amortising goodwill over 20 years is really in breach of FRS102.....

oh wait.....
  • Options
    Dion (I think) just gave us a report of light-hearted appeals for handball from the Italians

I think he meant half-hearted
  • Options
    biggles said:

glw said:

geoffw said:

That said, perhaps we should listen to him. Because on his logic we could take a fair chunk of France for our own. 🤔
    Careful, the Romans will get both us and France.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Eabhal said:

Or Ramsdale and White, part of the league-topping defence.
    Well White going nuclear on the assistant manager might harm your chances of being picked. But yes, Ramsdale is consistently very good (and by all accounts the ultimate professional), but dinosaur arms gets picked regardless.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 725

Phil said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

I did say a native french speaker ... my french is terrible. I do try and pronounce croissant correctly though.
    They would sound the 't', because when you run a word ending with a consonant into one beginning with a vowel, you sound the consonant. So you would not say 'pray a manger' you would say 'pret a manger'.
    Yes, the same as you would pronounce the S in mes amis.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,283
    edited March 2023
    NeilVW said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

Or maybe the t in peut-être
  • Options
    That is a huge win. Very reminiscent of the Euros final, very much a game of two halves, but this time we just had enough to hold on.
  • Options
    England win 2-1 (first win against Italy in Italy since 1961)

England = Labour
    Italy = Tories

• Options
    NeilVW said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

Well Poirot certainly does…
  • Options
    "Poor Italy" says my wife. She's always had a soft spot for Italians.
  • Options
    Driver said:

That is a huge win. Very reminiscent of the Euros final, very much a game of two halves, but this time we just had enough to hold on.

Second goal (that we didn’t get in 2019) crucial.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I was micromanaged and worked like a whole dog shelter for a year to ensure every piece of work was evidenced, every scheme of work impeccable and every lesson plan typed up in the same format.
    Course we passed T+L.
    But failed Management and Leadership. Because they assumed they were doing a grand job and couldn't be arsed doing the work they made me do.
    But. It always struck me. If the teaching and learning is fine, why does the rest outweigh it? That the budget, HR, record keeping and other stuff (not Health+Safety and Safeguarding obvs, but they raised no issues on that score) really isn't that important if folk are learning?

Much the same happens in food safety inspections. You can't get above a 3 if you don't have all your paperwork with i's dotted and t's crossed - and it's difficult to get below a 3 if you do.
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

Well, the first one but not the second.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
    Amazing rearguard action by us with ten men. Have it!!
  • Options

England win 2-1 (first win against Italy in Italy since 1961)

England = Labour
    Italy = Tories

Scraped a narrow win having looked dominant at half time, lost discipline in the second half and nearly threw it away?
  • Options

carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

I was posting about this last night. Bad Al Campbell was responsible for peddling this nonsense to a wide audience after he replied to someone on Twitter.

@wokinglass
    ·
    Mar 21

ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    15h
    Replying to
    @wokinglass
    No.
    I can just about believe that he would not have been transferred to hospital quite that quickly nor to Intensive Care quite that early if he had not been the prime minister. But Campbell really is being a tit.
    According to Alistair Campbell, he was a victim of the Iraq War. And had a really, really tough time over it.
    Not as bad a victim as the dead Iraqis, who had a really really rough time as a result of our going to war on the basis of his dodgy dossier.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796
    According to the BBC feed:

Tonight's results
    Group C
    Italy 1-2 England
    North Macedonia 2-1 Italy

Bit of a poor night for Italy, losing two games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/64995743
  • Options
    geoffw said:

"Poor Italy" says my wife. She's always had a soft spot for Italians.

My granddaughter is not happy

She starts an internship from Leeds University with a top firm of Milan lawyers as a translater in August and is into all things Italy
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Underwhelming England performance in the second half. Saka and Bellingham both add something special to the team, both have an ability to make things happen. Pity that the defence is so lacklustre and leaden footed.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Cookie said:

Phil said:

geoffw said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

Nowhere near as difficult as German. At least the nouns and verbs are in the right place even if the adjectives aren’t.
    I found German somewhat less hard than French.

I half-remember reading something a couple of decades ago that - very generally - speaking German came easier to northerners and men; French to southerners and women.

My oldest daughter arbitrarily chose French over Spanish at the age of 11 two years ago; my middle daughter now making the same choice is going the other way. She is dyslexic, and my understanding is that dyslexics tend to find French much more difficult than Spanish. I think this is because Spanish is much more phonetic. (To be fair, French is reasonably phonetic too, but to different phonetic rules.)
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Driver said:

dixiedean said:

Course we passed T+L.

Much the same happens in food safety inspections. You can't get above a 3 if you don't have all your paperwork with i's dotted and t's crossed - and it's difficult to get below a 3 if you do.
    Yes, the CQC is like that too.

Some years ago our dept was inspected, and there were major issues. Our SMT put me up to meet them as they knew I would be honest, and we were already taking remedial action.

The CQC just wanted to talk about irrelevant stuff about SOPs and protocols, and didn't make comment on the gaping hole in our clinical governance that had created the clinical risk. So far as I could tell they didn't even notice it.
  • Options

Tonight's results
    Group C
    Italy 1-2 England

No wonder they lost.
  • Options

carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

@wokinglass
    ·
    Mar 21

ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    15h
    Replying to
    @wokinglass
    No.
    Not as bad a victim as the dead Iraqis, who had a really really rough time as a result of our going to war on the basis of his dodgy dossier.

Campbell is a shit. He very much started the era of spin with the micro managing of the media. I have no doubt at all that the dossier was indeed sexed up, and the fight about it took the life of a very decent man. Campbell shows no recourse about that. He should be ashamed.
    I suspect he doubts Johnson’s covid because faking it is the kind of stunt he would consider.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Underwhelming England performance in the second half. Saka and Bellingham both add something special to the team, both have an ability to make things happen. Pity that the defence is so lacklustre and leaden footed.

What do you expect with Maguire playing
  • Options

Tonight's results
    Group C
    Italy 1-2 England

As much as I dislike them, it does seem rather unfair that they have to play twice on the same evening.

But thems the rules I guess.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Phil said:

geoffw said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

I found German somewhat less hard than French.

I half-remember reading something a couple of decades ago that - very generally - speaking German came easier to northerners and men; French to southerners and women.

My oldest daughter arbitrarily chose French over Spanish at the age of 11 two years ago; my middle daughter now making the same choice is going the other way. She is dyslexic, and my understanding is that dyslexics tend to find French much more difficult than Spanish. I think this is because Spanish is much more phonetic. (To be fair, French is reasonably phonetic too, but to different phonetic rules.)
    Spanish is quite helpful with the accents telling where non-standard emphasis is required.

• Options

carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

@wokinglass
    ·
    Mar 21

ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    15h
    Replying to
    @wokinglass
    No.

Campbell is a shit. He very much started the era of spin with the micro managing of the media. I have no doubt at all that the dossier was indeed sexed up, and the fight about it took the life of a very decent man. Campbell shows no recourse about that. He should be ashamed.
    I suspect he doubts Johnson’s covid because faking it is the kind of stunt he would consider.
    remorse

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

An odd analysis given we played 15 minutes of football with ten men
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Anyone would think we had lost the match, reading the garbage on PB. In fact, we have just beaten Italy in Naples with ten men.

Funny old world.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

@wokinglass
    ·
    Mar 21

ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    15h
    Replying to
    @wokinglass
    No.

remorse

Yes, sorry typo. Typing with one hand with 8 week old sleeping on other arm!
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Anyone would think we had lost the match, reading the garbage on PB. In fact, we have just beaten Italy in Naples with ten men.

Funny old world.
    Yes, grinding out an away win in a tough place to go. Nothing to complain about.
  • Options
    It will come as a surprise to no Englishman that the French are revolting.

They do make the London riots look amateurish.
  • Options

carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

@wokinglass
    ·
    Mar 21

ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    15h
    Replying to
    @wokinglass
    No.

I think it was a BBC series on the war, where he gave the impression that he’d endured more than the actual dead and maimed.

He banged on about depression (his) and drinking (his). There was no mention from him of others - apart from the scientist who’d committed suicide over WMD report. Who’d killer himself entirely to add to A. Campbell’s woes. The bastard, eh?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:

Funny old world.
    Yes, grinding out an away win in a tough place to go. Nothing to complain about.
    The last time we won away to Italy was 62 years ago apparently. I assume that was with all eleven blokes on the pitch too.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Foxy said:

Driver said:

dixiedean said:

Course we passed T+L.

Yes, the CQC is like that too.

Some years ago our dept was inspected, and there were major issues. Our SMT put me up to meet them as they knew I would be honest, and we were already taking remedial action.

The CQC just wanted to talk about irrelevant stuff about SOPs and protocols, and didn't make comment on the gaping hole in our clinical governance that had created the clinical risk. So far as I could tell they didn't even notice it.
    About 10 years ago the GPHC (pharmacy regulators) nearly refused to acredit our departments degree, despite our students being ranked the best in the country by the GPHC’s own exam, the pre-reg. The reason? They didn’t like how we were teaching the students, specifically the course wasn’t ‘integrated’ enough. Again, despite the students saying that although it took time, they saw the integration by the end of the course.
    Utter shitshow of wankers just wanting to impose the latest fad on how universities teach.
    And we caved in a rewrite the entire course…
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Funny old world.
    I have been into football since 1953 and recognise a bad player when I see one, and as a Man Utd supporter since that time I can tell you that Maguire is a liability to the England side as we saw tonight
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

Phil said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

Unless you're speaking Cockney
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

An odd analysis given we played 15 minutes of football with ten men
    Perfectly accurate analysis of the second half
This discussion has been closed.