Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Round-up – how punters see the next general election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I don't know what Foden has done or said to Gareth Waistcoast, but doesn't matter if he is England's most gifted and creative player against a team where you need that, bench warming duties again tonight.

To be fair to Southgate, Foden doesn't always get into the City team and Saka is at least as good as Mahrez.
    Foden form dipped after WC / he had an injury, but has past few weeks been absolutely brilliant. At the same time, Phillips is in the starting lineup, who has played about 20s for Man City in past 18 months....while England is also playing Rice / Bellingham to cover the defensive part of the midfield.

Its consistent with Southgate, he picked everybody but Foden in the WC to start with, despite Foden having an amazing season for Man City.
    Saka’s not been too shabby either and I guess there’s only room for him or Foden in Southgate’s formation.

Phillips is a good example of why the minimum number of homegrown or English players rule needs scrapping. City only signed him because he’s English and he helps get their numbers up.

Saka obviously starts. But there is no Mount or Sterling, and Grealish is in. They should play Foden in the Mount role, or instead of Grealish.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,823
    It's because of this:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/ex-labour-councillor-wants-sir-8271019#amp-readmore-target

There was a council vote brought to abolish the directly elected city mayor by some dissident councillors to try to get rid of Sir Peter Soulsby. They lost, and have been de-selected in consequence.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139

Ah, seems it’s working now. Thanks to @TheScreamingEagles @LostPassword @bondegezou and @Carnyx for helping liberate me from the spam trap!

Did you make a comment about Radiohead?
    Almost as bad. I might have mentioned She Who Must Not Be Named once or twice
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446

carnforth said:

These people are laughable, but I almost agree with them about La Poste starting an online bank called "Ma French Bank". Imagine if the post office here opened "My banque anglais" here.

We have Pret A Manger, although I suppose that's mitigated by everyone mispronouncing the first word.
    Also Cafe Rouge.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551

carnforth said:

These people are laughable, but I almost agree with them about La Poste starting an online bank called "Ma French Bank". Imagine if the post office here opened "My banque anglais" here.

We have Pret A Manger, although I suppose that's mitigated by everyone mispronouncing the first word.
    They're not mispronouncing it.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

carnforth said:

Also Cafe Rouge.
    Cafe Rouge is so bad, it makes Pret look "authentic".....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

carnforth said:

Also Cafe Rouge.
    Cafe Rouge is so bad, it makes Pret look "authentic".....
    They've been sending out increasingly desperate promotions over the last few months. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up offering to pay people to eat there.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nobody signed Babar Azam, are the people running the Hundred teams mental?

Extraordinary.
    Insane. You can make a very good case that he's the best batsmen in the world at the moment, all formats.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,313
    I know Johnson is an absolute arse, but I stumbled on a batch of twitter nonsense claiming he didn’t actually have covid, and that even if he did it was mild and not needing hospital care.
    He clearly wasn’t ventilated, but I can readily believe an overweight, unfit mid fifties male with no protection became seriously enough ill to require oxygen.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited March 2023
    Heart on England
    Money on Italy

It’s gonna be a dull draw, isn’t it?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited March 2023

I know Johnson is an absolute arse, but I stumbled on a batch of twitter nonsense claiming he didn’t actually have covid, and that even if he did it was mild and not needing hospital care.
    He clearly wasn’t ventilated, but I can readily believe an overweight, unfit mid fifties male with no protection became seriously enough ill to require oxygen.

I was told it was that serious that the palace asked the cabinet to have a successor to Boris Johnson ready.

We have no 25th amendment nor a line of succession.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    We've already lost the battle of the national anthems
    (game in Napoli)
  • Options
    I love the Italian national anthem.
  • Options
    ping said:

Heart on England
    Money on Italy

It’s gonna be a dull draw, isn’t it?

Maradona Stadium :lol:
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Also, lets remember the narrative at the time. Boris was trying to appear Churchillian, he was posting those videos every day, stiff upper lip and all that, bravely fighting the covid while still remaining at work....then being rushed into hospital kinda of burst that particular bubble pretty quick. It was obvious that it was actually real and serious. Also, post COVID, he was absolute mess for months...and I don't mean in the Boris manufactured ruffled hair way, he did those press conferences and seemed totally out of it most of the time, forgetting names of people or what has just been said 2 seconds ago. Where as we know the manfactured Boris is the I am going to distract you with waffle, not errrh well errhhh Brian, Bob, Tom, Dave, man from the video, what was your question again.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,313

I was told it was that serious that the palace asked the cabinet to have a successor to Boris Johnson ready.
    Good contingency planning for sure. I’m pretty sure he was on oxygen and closely monitored. I know people believe a lot of shit* but this one’s so ridiculous.

*Sone believe that Radiohead were an award winning, talented musical combo. I mean really.
  • Options

Good contingency planning for sure. I’m pretty sure he was on oxygen and closely monitored. I know people believe a lot of shit* but this one’s so ridiculous.

*Sone believe that Radiohead were an award winning, talented musical combo. I mean really.
    Wasn't contingency planning, we were close to having an incapacitated PM.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    God Save The King from hearing it played so badly.

Remains to be seen if Phillips lasts the 90 mins, a surprising selection of the Man City reserve.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920

I was posting about this last night. Bad Al Campbell was responsible for peddling this nonsense to a wide audience after he replied to someone on Twitter.

Barbara Chambers. Proud to be a blob.
    @wokinglass
    ·
    Mar 21
    Does anyone actually believe that Johnson nearly died of COVID?

ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    15h
    Replying to
    @wokinglass
    No.
  • Options
    There should be an option to switch off the idiot commentators and keep the crowd noise.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I was posting about this last night. Bad Al Campbell was responsible for peddling this nonsense to a wide audience after he replied to someone on Twitter.

@wokinglass
    ·
    Mar 21

ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    15h
    Replying to
    @wokinglass
    No.
    It up there with Boris is hiding the bodies stuff.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,899
    Foxy said:

It's because of this:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/ex-labour-councillor-wants-sir-8271019#amp-readmore-target

There was a council vote brought to abolish the directly elected city mayor by some dissident councillors to try to get rid of Sir Peter Soulsby. They lost, and have been de-selected in consequence.
    15 of the 29 BAME Labour Councillors deselected only 4 of the 22 white Labour Counciliors deselected.

A Labour spokesperson said diversity will be maintained or improved

Presumably a Party with a Heirarchy of racism thinks all brown people are the same anyway!!
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Presumably would have been Rabb?

Lord JohnO of PB would now be on the red leather benches and looking truly magisterial clad in ermine :D
  • Options

Russia's budget deficit just exceeded what was planned for all YEAR 2023 in less than THREE months! This is a combined effect of growing budget expenses and declining energy revenues.

I'm sure Elvira Nabiullina will print the all the rubles VVP needs.

• Options
    Nearly!!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Lord JohnO of PB would now be on the red leather benches and looking truly magisterial clad in ermine :D
    Think so.
  • Options
    Scored this time! Rice.
  • Options

Russia's budget deficit just exceeded what was planned for all YEAR 2023 in less than THREE months! This is a combined effect of growing budget expenses and declining energy revenues.

I'm sure Xi will be more than happy to bankroll them... for the right price...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

I particularly enjoyed "liking" your post.
  • Options
    Disgraceful, this is what I'd expect from Scottish football fans.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/england-fan-flag-maradona-italy-naples-b2307019.html
  • Options

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/england-fan-flag-maradona-italy-naples-b2307019.html

Don't worry, surely Diego's giving God a hand.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Guy on the right seems to be somewhat embarrassed to be in the vicinity of the photo.

Can't think why.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993

Guy on the right seems to be somewhat embarrassed to be in the vicinity of the photo.

Can't think why.
    Chap with the flag is going to get stabbed by some ultras then we will see him in The Sun with a sad face on complaining about violent Italian thugs attacking him whilst he was minding his own business. What a prick.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333

He was seriously ill but did not nearly die - this is my sense of it.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

It isn't automatically the DPM. Indeed, I believe the Coalition Agreement was explicit that Clegg would step in when Cameron was unavailable for planned reasons but NOT if he was incapacitated.

It's not like the US where there is anything automatic about it, and indeed there often is no DPM.
  • Options
     The Azzurri being run ragged.

Meanwhile, talking about mixed language sayings, the logo on the Italian dugout says "The impossibile is nothing"
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Meanwhile, talking about mixed language sayings, the logo on the Italian dugout says "The impossibile is nothing"

It’s an Adidas slogan and they make the Italy kit.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

It isn't automatically the DPM. Indeed, I believe the Coalition Agreement was explicit that Clegg would step in when Cameron was unavailable for planned reasons but NOT if he was incapacitated.

It's not like the US where there is anything automatic about it, and indeed there often is no DPM.
    Sort of feels like maybe we should have a clear and defind plan for that regardless of whether the PM's ill in hospital or not, to account for the unlikely but possible situations of hit by bus/asteroid/Captain Trips/nuclear war/alien invasion/woke AI robot uprising.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,248

Foxy said:

It's because of this:

15 of the 29 BAME Labour Councillors deselected only 4 of the 22 white Labour Counciliors deselected.

A Labour spokesperson said diversity will be maintained or improved

Presumably a Party with a Heirarchy of racism thinks all brown people are the same anyway!!
    Well, your own late lamented Mr Johnson famously and disgracefully described Muslim women as all looking like letterboxes, so I’d be careful in the stones you throw.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I agree. It's quite plausible that they took a slightly more precautionary approach than they would have with Joe Bloggs (see also Trump being hospitalised). But I get why they'd do that for a Head of Government, and don't think there was anything remotely dodgy about it.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    boulay said:

geoffw said:

Yebbut the Adidas slogan doesn't mix up the spelling - impossible/impossibile

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Penalty to Inghilterra!
  • Options
    geoffw said:

boulay said:

geoffw said:

My apologies - eyesight was crap and didn’t read your post correctly.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Kane! 2-0

54th goal for England, all-time record!
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    edited March 2023
  • Options
    Nothing less than we deserve. Dominant
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    geoffw said:

There should be an option to switch off the idiot commentators and keep the crowd noise.

I found MoTD without commentators or pundits to be a major improvement. Only missed the theme tune.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    Got a feeling this crowd could turn quite soon.
  • Options
    biggles said:

geoffw said:

I found MoTD without commentators or pundits to be a major improvement. Only missed the theme tune.
    Bore off
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,960

We have no 25th amendment nor a line of succession.
    I was asked to be the default fall-back for my line manager during the 1st lockdown. We are all heroes.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

GIN1138 said:

Sort of feels like maybe we should have a clear and defind plan for that regardless of whether the PM's ill in hospital or not, to account for the unlikely but possible situations of hit by bus/asteroid/Captain Trips/nuclear war/alien invasion/woke AI robot uprising.
    We do. It’s called “the Cabinet tells the Palace and they get a call”. No drama whatsoever.

For Cameron? Hague.
    May? Lillington.
    Boris? Raab it seems.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,238
    edited March 2023

GIN1138 said:

@wokinglass
    ·
    Mar 21

ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    15h
    Replying to
    @wokinglass
    No.
    I can just about believe that he would not have been transferred to hospital quite that quickly nor to Intensive Care quite that early if he had not been the prime minister. But Campbell really is being a tit.
  • Options
    Half-time 2-0

England = Labour
    Italy = Tories

:lol:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

kinabalu said:

I agree. It's quite plausible that they took a slightly more precautionary approach than they would have with Joe Bloggs (see also Trump being hospitalised). But I get why they'd do that for a Head of Government, and don't think there was anything remotely dodgy about it.
    It's not like there isn't plenty to have a go at Boris about, but the paranoid turbo-charged Boris hate is ridiculous.
  • Options
    We looked excellent first half. Hope we don’t go into our shell in the second period
  • Options

Half-time 2-0

England = Labour
    Italy = Tories

:lol:

Does that mean England are going to lose in the 93rd minute?
  • Options
    carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

@wokinglass
    ·
    Mar 21

ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    15h
    Replying to
    @wokinglass
    No.
    I can just about believe that he would not have been transferred to hospital quite that quickly nor to Intensive Care quite that early if he had not been the prime minister. But Campbell really is being a tit.
    Too much claret masquerading as Burnley

• Options

GIN1138 said:

There is something to be said for flexibility. At the moment, if Sunak fell under the proverbial, it would not be ideal for Raab as DPM to step in given there is an inquiry into his behaviour reporting imminently. Probably Hunt would do it in the interim by acclaim, and that would be a better, more stabilising position.

Similarly, whilst I can't immediately recall a terrible VP who has had to step up, there are a couple who haven't. Spiro Agnew and Dan Quayle spring to mind as people who might have been problematic.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,248
    Yeah, politics is cool and all that, but have you tried YouTube compilations of trucks getting stuck under low-clearance bridges?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off
    Tbf the ITV commentary team are a bit pants
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    edited March 2023

carnforth said:

It's not pronounced "pret"? This is messing with my mind.
    A native french speaker won’t sound the t on the end of pret. (Also, it’s prêt à manger but the accents would just confuse I guess.)
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

There is something to be said for flexibility. At the moment, if Sunak fell under the proverbial, it would not be ideal for Raab as DPM to step in given there is an inquiry into his behaviour reporting imminently. Probably Hunt would do it in the interim by acclaim, and that would be a better, more stabilising position.

Similarly, whilst I can't immediately recall a terrible VP who has had to step up, there are a couple who haven't. Spiro Agnew and Dan Quayle spring to mind as people who might have been problematic.
    Yup. Trust in the Cabinet to not be dicks. In those circumstances, they usually wouldn’t be. Worst case they’d insist on a proper contest in slower time but the best person in the moment would be obvious.
  • Options

We looked excellent first half. Hope we don’t go into our shell in the second period

Shame Jack didn't make it three..

That was a great chance right at the end
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

The current incumbant doesn't inspire much confidence

• Options
    Phil said:

carnforth said:

A native french speaker won’t sound the t on the end of pret. (Also, it’s prêt à manger but the accents would just confuse I guess.)
    That’s not correct. The “t” is pronounced by native French speakers.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Phil said:

carnforth said:

They surely would ahead of an à.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/prêt#Pronunciation
  • Options
    Phil said:

carnforth said:

He/she would before the vowel

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    boulay said:

geoffw said:

boulay said:

geoffw said:

My apologies - eyesight was crap and didn’t read your post correctly.
    When I saw 'the Adidas slogan' my brain immediately reverted to childhood i.e. "After Dinner I Did A Shit". If you were unwise enough at school to sport any item of kit labelled Adidas, people would choose to assume that's what you were trying to tell everyone.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

@wokinglass
    ·
    Mar 21

ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
    @campbellclaret
    ·
    15h
    Replying to
    @wokinglass
    No.
    It also worth remembering is we are being pedantic, before vaccines / Omicron, you got to the stage of needing oxygen, nobody really could predict if you were hours away from death or not. When people went downhill, it was rapid and unpredictable. There were infinite stories of people not going to hospital quick enough, or we will just put you on a bit of oxygen and they were dead by the morning.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

A so-called "liaison" :)
  • Options
    That was a fairly entertaining half of football in an international qualifier. A rare event.
  • Options

geoffw said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

very dangerous

• Options
    Phil said:

carnforth said:

Are you one of those folk who make "coup de grace" rhyme with "mardi gras"?
  • Options

geoffw said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

The can be dangeruese.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    All is forgiven, Gareth.
  • Options

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off
    They all are. For all tv stations. Like I say, it’s better when they aren’t there. They just state the obvious.

Some long form post match analysis from the likes of Neville is a bit more informative if you like that sort of thing.
  • Options

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off
    C4 and yes they are but it was the PB Tory Lineker reference that grated more
  • Options
    ping said:

All is forgiven, Gareth.

Let hope that Grealish miss turns out to be irrelevant.
  • Options

Shame Jack didn't make it three..

That was a great chance right at the end
    How did he miss??
  • Options

Phil said:

carnforth said:

Are you one of those folk who make "coup de grace" rhyme with "mardi gras"?
    I did say a native french speaker ... my french is terrible. I do try and pronounce croissant correctly though.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Oh, I understand the flexibility point. Just, you'd hope that in some sort of "designated survivor" style incident we're not relying on the people who'd make the decision on who should be the replacement to also not be out of commission themselves. Presumably there is sufficient continuity of government to make that obvious, in which case presumably the one-off instance of replacing the PM at very short notice is also itself part of that understood process and not overly reliant on that sometimes peculiarly vague notion of "parliamentary convention".
  • Options

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off
    Lineker's a PB Tory?!
  • Options

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off
    eh? Gary hasn't featured in this match

• Options

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off
    Is it? Mrs. P. just put it on I assumed it was ITV. I take it all back - the C4 team are a bit pants though.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off
    Eh? I made no reference to Lineker and in so far as I had a side in that debate I was on his?

Not everything is a political argument. Sometimes it’s about football and, in this case, disliking commentary….
  • Options
    geoffw said:

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off

Not quite true - he was number 4 on that list of top England goalscorers that popped-up.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    geoffw said:

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off

Yes and no. C4 briefly put up the table of England all-time scorers - Gary is fourth on 48.
  • Options

geoffw said:

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off

Not quite true - he was number 4 on that list of top England goalscorers that popped-up.
    Is that what bobajobby meant?

• Options
    geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

The current incumbant doesn't inspire much confidence

The current VP would be a perfectly capable President.

That doesn't mean she should or will get the nomination in future, or that she is a popular VP.

But Agnew was a spiv who was very fortunate not to do serious jail time, and Quayle had a very thin record (actually, I think even he would've been adequate as he didn't combine that with a massively high opinion of himself, but he'd have been worrying).

It should be noted that Harris's relative unpopularity derives from the fact she is good enough to be trusted to do stuff (as neither Agnew not Quayle were) but not good enough to be seen to knock it out of the park.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Phil said:

carnforth said:

I think that varies these days - for an older generation you’re right though & it’s certainly the way I was taught.
  • Options

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off
    "England are on top and I think that's why they're winning...."
  • Options
    edited March 2023

GIN1138 said:

Oh, I understand the flexibility point. Just, you'd hope that in some sort of "designated survivor" style incident we're not relying on the people who'd make the decision on who should be the replacement to also not be out of commission themselves. Presumably there is sufficient continuity of government to make that obvious, in which case presumably the one-off instance of replacing the PM at very short notice is also itself part of that understood process and not overly reliant on that sometimes peculiarly vague notion of "parliamentary convention".
    That’s a fair point: the Cabinet all being dead.

Well, I guess the residual grey suits in Parliament choose; and if they are all gone, the Monarch does on the advice of the most senior living civil servant. There had to be A Monarch even if the first 50 in line just died.

In the gap, I guess the civil service and military muddle through.
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off
    Eh? I made no reference to Lineker and in so far as I had a side in that debate I was on his?

Not everything is a political argument. Sometimes it’s about football and, in this case, disliking commentary….

Fair enough, and apologies if that is the case. There were a LOT of PB Tory posts at the time arguing that MOTD would be better without Lineker - so I’m probably oversensitive.
  • Options

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off
    "Football is a simple game: 22 men run after a ball for 90 minutes, and in the end, the Germans win."
    - G. Lineker, 1990.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

biggles said:

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off

Fair enough, and apologies if that is the case. There were a LOT of PB Tory posts at the time arguing that MOTD would be better without Lineker - so I’m probably oversensitive.
    No worries, I get that. For the record I also think he’s a great tv presenter and someone has to do some introduction to sport. It’s the punditry that bothers me as well as the commentary.

“They had a lot of joy down the right wing”. Yes, I was watching the sodding game.

“He was completely unmarked in the box and someone should do that”. Really? You don’t say.
  • Options

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off
    If they're going to keep going with the female analysts or commentators, they need to find some decent ones

TMS gave us Alison Mitchell; I think she's superb
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Dmitry Medvedev says that Ukraine is part of Russia and the border is an artificial invention...
  • Options

biggles said:

geoffw said:

Bore off
    "Football is a simple game: 22 men run after a ball for 90 minutes, and in the end, the Germans win."
    - G. Lineker, 1990.
    "If I had an argument with a player, we would sit down for 20 minutes, talk about it, and then decide I was right." Brian Clough
This discussion has been closed.