Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Cuckoo? – politicalbetting.com

13»

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222
    geoffw said:

Nice to see Cyclefree opining back here, and much to agree with too. Also with the invention of a new punctuation style: the " ?—? " combo. What should it be called? The provisional interrogative perhaps?

Nothing to do with me. Blame Vanilla.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

SNP leadership round 87

Nicola Sturgeon’s sister has just said she would rather vote Tory than for Kate Forbes or Ash Regan

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1637184432418217984

One of the replies: "Me too. At least Tories are honest about what they are."
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

Good to see Cyclefree back.

Groucho Marx said he wouldn't want to join any club that would have him as a member. Why would UBS want to buy Credit Suisse? What is in it for them? One thinks back to Victor Blank and Lloyds deciding to buy HBOS without doing due diligence. Surely the most calamitous acquisition in British corporate history.

Buy the wreckage cheap. Tear it down for parts. Junk the rest….
    But they've taken on all the liabilities.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    Can’t help thinking that Deutsch Bank must be looking at Credit Suisse getting all this attention and wondering when it will be their turn.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,793

Foxy said:

Anyone in more important news, Gary Lineker is back on Match Of The Day.

Looking forward to all the expert analysis on how he did after his period on the sidelines. A little rusty, short of match practice? Like he'd never been away?

Not him tonight, Mark Chapman tonight.

So much worse tonight than with Gary, said literally no one.
    I think Gary and Co were doing the FA Cup MOTD earlier.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    IDS reselected as Conservative candidate for Chingford and Woodford Green

https://twitter.com/MPIainDS/status/1637058882848579584?s=20
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    #SNPMeltdown is trending now—but, weeks ago, The Clever People were saying that Sunak's use of Section 35 was falling into Sturgeon's trap and bringing the demise of the Union closer. Here's Pippa Crerar, telling us that Kemi Badenoch was a man's "puppet" in the Tory War On Woke.

https://twitter.com/DamCou/status/1637165318081527808?s=20
  • Options
    Interestingly, many people (correctly) pointing out that Yes Scotland and the SNP had to be legally completely independent, to comply with Electoral Commission rules. @Ross_Greer might regret revealing the CEO of the SNP organised a pay rise for him at Yes Scotland…

https://twitter.com/staylorish/status/1637189966064222209?s=20
  • Options
    In completely unrelated news…

The chief financial officer of Ferguson Marine has left the nationalised shipyard

https://twitter.com/heraldscotland/status/1637121691754332160?s=20
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,235
    DavidL said:

Can’t help thinking that Deutsch Bank must be looking at Credit Suisse getting all this attention and wondering when it will be their turn.

A shotgun wedding between Deutsche and Commerzbank was suggested about five years ago when Deutsche was having its little crisis.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082
    Pagan2 said:

Andy_JS said:

How dare YouTube block a speech made by an elected member of the House of Commons in the chamber of the house, regardless of whether or not what he was saying was nonsense.

Its a private company they can choose what they allow on their site. How dare Bridgen demand he is shown in all his ignominy or any other fuckwit like him
    Private companies that have a social role have restrictions on what they can do - eg utilities can’t cut off power or water for non payment.

Social Meade’s should have restrictions about how they get involved in the democratic process
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Malc’s much derided source:

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

Only 4-9?

It's often the stupidest things that bring down political careers.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412

Only 4-9?

So *that's* why Nicola resigned...
  • Options
    Looks like the Yousaf allegations/story have made it into print:

• Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,216

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

EFC 2-1 to be relegated.
    10 games to play. Fewer than most of our rivals. 6 against the top 9.
    Of the other 4 only 1 is at home. Bournemouth on the final day.
    I reckon that is value.

5.2 for Leicester to go down looks value to me (though I got on at longer odds). We are 17th and playing poorly, with a manager whose teams always fade at the end of a season.

Yes, we equalised today, but it was our only shot on target of the game.
    I wonder about Palace?
    They don't seem to be getting any points at all.
    It is desperately close between the bottom 9.
    I'm officially worried about the Hammers' chances this season :(
    You will stay up. Just.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    Interesting new story on the Iranian hostage crisis which did for Carter’s reelection chances.
    Stunning story by @peterbakernyt about powerful Texas politicians who went to the Middle East in 1980 on a secret mission orchestrated by one of them: to get Iran to hold onto US hostages to help swing election to Reagan, who was running against Carter.
    https://twitter.com/ewong/status/1637182740406599681
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

#SNPMeltdown is trending now—but, weeks ago, The Clever People were saying that Sunak's use of Section 35 was falling into Sturgeon's trap and bringing the demise of the Union closer. Here's Pippa Crerar, telling us that Kemi Badenoch was a man's "puppet" in the Tory War On Woke.

Had the Tories not invoked Section 35, the SNP would still be riding high.

Even at the time, the argument made no sense. The SNP had to find an issue on which public opinion was on their side, rather than one where it was hostile.
    I confess my assumption was that, while the policy was not popular (certainly not as popular as the SNP act as though it is) nor as obvious and logical an option as the Scottish Parliament (not just the SNP) believes it to be, that such an invocation would place a significant number of opponents of the issue onto their side by virtue of it being a unique and political intrustion into Scottish affairs, even if there was a wider issue pretext to act.

The legal slapdown being pretty justified as it turns out did not alter my opinion on that front, as it still seemed the case being lost would have been a typical grievance to complain about in the usual fashion as the SNP played for time about what to do next.

I do appear to have been quite wrong about that, though I am congenitally incapable of retaining optimism on the Union front for very long so an in fact more anxious wondering how the SNP will, somehow, emerge from this chaos all the stronger.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,235
    edited March 2023
    James Cleverley in Khazakstan. Cool photos, or shades of Liz Truss? You decide...

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,519
    Sean_F said:

Even at the time, the argument made no sense. The SNP had to find an issue on which public opinion was on their side, rather than one where it was hostile.
    That isn't quite true. The deposit return scheme is/was a total disaster, as is/was the ban on alcohol advertising that would have banned distilleries from providing souvenir whisky tasting glasses and the like. People have been noticing.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    carnforth said:

James Cleverley in Khazakstan. Cool photos, or shades of Liz Truss? You decide...

Nothing wrong with Foreign Secretary's getting involved in a bit of dress up. It may even sometimes be a concession to the hosts to do something stupid they suggest with 'No, really, this is part of our cultural heritage, give it a go...haha' comments. You just don't want to go too overboard with it.

That's a sweet robe, so I think Cleverley passes on this occasion.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I was really hoping for something truly creative in this 'response to those saying no one is above the law with regard to Trump's potential impending arrest', but it turns out the answer is, to summarise, 'On it's face it is true...but I wish it were not and in practice they should be above the law', since it's basically saying a former President would need to be caught red handed committing murder to justify arrest. That even jailable offenses need a pass.

https://twitter.com/InezFeltscher/status/1637119461525159940/photo/2

Truly what the American Dream is all about - get powerful enough and you should be able to commit crime with impunity as punishment is political. I mean, I know the rich and powerful get away with stuff all over the world, but we're not supposed to admit it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,907
    edited March 2023
    Capitalism has a problem when big companies are often bailed out when things go wrong, they take the profits when things are going nicely, but ordinary people have to take it on the chin when things go wrong for them.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014

Only 4-9?

Bit disappointing. Unless it's a series which is unfolding all week...
    The papers need to get as much published as they can before it all goes sub judice.
  • Options
    Now free to read, my @scotonsunday column on how the SNP's meltdown is now a crisis in Scotland's democracy. It's time for the current leadership contest to be scrapped and a new one - with no party control over the process - to be established:

https://twitter.com/euanmccolm/status/1637182897336512515
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    carnforth said:

The Standing at the Back Dressed Cleverley and Looking Cleverley Party.
  • Options
    And so the Nicola Sturgeon years end with neither a bang or a whimper but with one pitiful desk-clearing after another. Peter Murrell, Sturgeon’s husband and the chief executive of the SNP, has announced his resignation. It comes after Murray Foote, the party’s chief spin doctor, walked on Friday. He had been rubbishing media reports that the party’s membership rolls had shrunk by 30,000 since 2021…..

The New SNP project is now in danger. If Yousaf’s main rival Kate Forbes wins the leadership contest, Sturgeon will be politely but firmly retired and the party refocused on voters’ priorities, competent governance, and building a credible case for independence. If Forbes wins, there will be a lot more desk-clearing to come.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-new-snp-project-is-now-in-danger/
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426

Westie said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

It might be a flop in the same way some people got super excited by how 'few' people showed up for the Queue, as though hundreds of thousands of people doing it was not still an awful lot considering what the activity was, or how people sometimes denigrate this or that protest as having only 100k or 500k or whatever, out of 70m people, ignoring that, again, that is a lot of people to take time out to do it.

There's this yearning sometimes that takes even genuine points way too far. I'm a monarchist and it'd never even occur to me to watch it in a public place, no thank you. I'd be astonished if even 5% do.

I'll probably record it so I can watch it on fast forward. I'm more worried it won't be extravagant and silly enough because they are worried about how it looks during cost of living crisis, and the sense of privilege. Fact is you cannot hold a coronation without looking out of touch and a bit silly, so just go for it. Just think how Spanish republicans missed out on things to make fun of because their King just got handed a sash by his dad.

Even the King of Spain goes in a grand parade to his inauguration accompanied by cavalry (as indeed does the President of Italy to his)
    To be honest an old horse drawn golden coach is the antithesis of being in touch

It may well be a very embarrassing event and certainly not a help in endearing the monarchy to the country
    You are utterly wrong.
    Since the late Queen the direction of travel, if you excuse the pun, is ever downwards in the polling
    No it isn't. 18 Commonwealth realms became republics or got their own head of state in the late Queen's reign. There are only 15 Commonwealth realms left so even if they all ended the monarchy neither Charles nor William would have lost as many as the late Queen did. Elizabeth II did a good job but she she did undoubtedly leave the monarchy globally smaller than she inherited from her father.

In the UK around 2/3 still back retaining the monarchy
    I back retaining the monarchy but expect there will be a continuous drip of support over the coming years as we are already seeing
    We currently have King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla, this should be peak time for republicans, if they can't even get close to a majority now they have zero chance once William and Kate take over, especially given the alternative of President Blair or President Johnson
    There would never be a president Blair or President Johnson.

A president Rowling - or similar - would win any ballot. cf; Ireland.

On every measure, J K Rowling would be a better head of state.

Say it ain’t so?
    No, there almost certainly would be a President Blair or President Johnson. We are a P5 permanent UN Security Council member and member of the G7 and G20 not a small country like Ireland but equivalent to the US and France and would likely have a powerful directly elected President like them if we were a republic.

Even if we only had a ceremonial President elected by Parliament it would more likely be President Hague or President Ed Miliband than President Rowling (who is hated now by trans activists anyway). Even the current Irish President is an ex Labour politician
    There is no obligation on UNSC member republics to have shitty executive presidencies, even if all four of them do. A country which has a hereditary monarchy, an even shittier arrangement, need not limit itself to climbing only one level up inside the sewage pipe. A British republic could have a presidency similar to the German one. The "you don't want a politician as head of state" bullshit was how the monarch managed to win the 1999 referendum in Australia, despite having a large republican majority. Nothing wrong with a President Miliband or Hague or Rowling. Bring it on. Better than some old bastard who wants to get biblically anointed and seems to think he's the king of kings and the head of all religions. The monarchy is making the country a fucking laughing stock.

The award for the biggest pile of shite on here today has a winner.
    Mustn't diss the king, eh?

Good luck with running with the line that it's better for Britain to keep the monarchy because otherwise there'd be a former politician as president, and he may well have had his former career in a party you don't like, and he'd definitely be an executive president because Britain is a permanent member of the UN Security Council, and something about transsexuals. The Blair-Putin-transvestite argument, with a dollop of standing on your head and imagining there's a constitution even though no-one has ever read it.

Run with the above load of balls during a referendum or even a mere debate on the monarchy and you will be creamed.

It matters not a whit who a non-executive president would be.

Hague, Miliband, Abbott, Rowling - yes, even Blair, Brown, TMay, Johnson, or Bercow - all would be fine. (Realistically, Izzard wouldn't get it.) He or she would be non-executive. They wouldn't be able to do kingy shit as Emperor Bokassa did. In the event that he were executive, that would at least be an improvement on monarchy because the person wouldn't have got the job because of the family he came from - an idea which I realise is equivalent to a fartathon in church from the monarchist POV. Just remember, once a referendum has said NO to the monarchy, to vote in the following referendum for a non-executive presidency rather than an executive one, if that's what you think would be better. Or for full loony effect, go nuts, draw a cock and balls on the ballot paper and write the words "God save the King".

Monarchy has about five minutes left. It won't survive the first Carolean cockup. This is the guy who accepted millions of euros in cash in bags from a Qatari prince, but he's clean, clean, oh so clean, and he does a lot of work for charity, just like Jimmy Savile.

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

Now free to read, my @scotonsunday column on how the SNP's meltdown is now a crisis in Scotland's democracy. It's time for the current leadership contest to be scrapped and a new one - with no party control over the process - to be established:

There is not enough popcorn to cover this complete SNP implosion in the midst of a leadership contest, but its also been fascinating to watch the more honest shocked reaction of the Scottish newspapers journalists vs Scottish TV news journalists on social media while the UK media are yet again still behind the curve..
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563

Breaking: RBS in talks to acquire the SNP

Barclays have announced that £5 (Scotts!) is too much and dropped out
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Capitalism has a problem when big companies are often bailed out when things go wrong, they take the profits when things are going nicely, but ordinary people have to take it on the chin when things go wrong for them.

It depends how it is done.

Note that the pure capitalistic approach - let it all fall down - was one of the things that governments regulated early on. Hence the modern concepts of bankruptcy.

I am a fan of Small Enough To Fail.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Andy_JS said:

How dare YouTube block a speech made by an elected member of the House of Commons in the chamber of the house, regardless of whether or not what he was saying was nonsense.

Its a private company they can choose what they allow on their site. How dare Bridgen demand he is shown in all his ignominy or any other fuckwit like him
    Private companies that have a social role have restrictions on what they can do - eg utilities can’t cut off power or water for non payment.

Social Meade’s should have restrictions about how they get involved in the democratic process
    Social Meade is an excellent idea. A horn of Meade for every poore man in the Kingdom!

As for Social Media regulation like that - welcome to the culture wars. It is perfectly clear that everyone is in favour of free speech for themselves and their friends.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nah.

They would be nationalised by the German government first. With the support of every party, except the Fascists Part Deux.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,514
    Pagan2 said:

Andy_JS said:

We might note that Youtube martyr Bridgen chose not to mention the availability of his speech via ParliamentLive TV or Hansard or Twitter, where he also tweeted: I don’t care if the MSM cancel me.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Interesting new story on the Iranian hostage crisis which did for Carter’s reelection chances.
    Stunning story by @peterbakernyt about powerful Texas politicians who went to the Middle East in 1980 on a secret mission orchestrated by one of them: to get Iran to hold onto US hostages to help swing election to Reagan, who was running against Carter.

October Surprise Part XXXXXXXIVXXXX
  • Options

Good to see Cyclefree back.

Groucho Marx said he wouldn't want to join any club that would have him as a member. Why would UBS want to buy Credit Suisse? What is in it for them? One thinks back to Victor Blank and Lloyds deciding to buy HBOS without doing due diligence. Surely the most calamitous acquisition in British corporate history.

Buy the wreckage cheap. Tear it down for parts. Junk the rest….
    But they've taken on all the liabilities.
    At a certain price that might be a good idea. If they've paid more than a tenner......
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

Nice to see Cyclefree opining back here, and much to agree with too. Also with the invention of a new punctuation style: the " ?—? " combo. What should it be called? The provisional interrogative perhaps?

Nothing to do with me. Blame Vanilla.
    Mis-conversion of bold or italics?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,637
    fitalass said:

There is not enough popcorn to cover this complete SNP implosion in the midst of a leadership contest, but its also been fascinating to watch the more honest shocked reaction of the Scottish newspapers journalists vs Scottish TV news journalists on social media while the UK media are yet again still behind the curve..
    For the CEO of SNP, who also happens to be First Husband of the SNP First Minister and Queen Fish, tells lies to SNP Press Officer to pass on to media as fact, is a story that could have come from the pen of Robbbie Penn Warren.

Nicola Sturgeon is an advanced social progressive. BUT doing Huey Long in drag?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Hasn't this been public knowledge since circa 1980? That GOP operatives delayed the Iran hostage release in order to get Reagan elected. Whether he needed this help is less clear.
  • Options
    There IS a God!

March Madness, NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament, East Regional, Madison Square Garden, New York, NY:

Duke 51, Tennessee 65

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    edited March 2023
    Sue=Ellan!!!!!!!!!!!

#Cuckoo

Whoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited March 2023
    Nigelb said:

Thanks to my Mum (on Mothers Day) who invested in making sure that we got the Sunday Telegraph/Sunday Times every week the year before I sat my then in its infancy Modern Studies Scottish O'Grade. I aced my written essays that afternoon back in the early 80s. The question of what 'domestic issue' caused Carter to lose to Reagan came up, it was something that didn't come up on the curriculum, but it was never about US hostages in Iran, it was all about what was happening in Florida...
  • Options
    On-topic: @Cyclefree is wrong. The problem is not global banking but casino banking. Global banking merely exposes Swiss (and indeed British) banks to United States' jurisdiction. Global banking is why Swiss banks had to give up their secrets.

The problem is that banks can make more money by playing the markets than they can by traditional banking. Human nature and bankers' greed means that money deposited in ordinary bank accounts is used by banks' proprietary traders to borrow even more money to play on the international money markets. When this money is bet on red instead of black, or black instead of red, well, ordinary workers lose their jobs and banks are bailed out.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks to my Mum (on Mothers Day) who invested in making sure that we got the Sunday Telegraph/Sunday Times every week the year before I sat my then in its infancy Modern Studies Scottish O'Grade. I aced my written essays that afternoon back in the early 80s. The question of what 'domestic issue' caused Carter to lose to Reagan came up, it was something that didn't come up on the curriculum, but it was never about US hostages in Iran, it was all about what was happening in Florida...
    Mariel Boat Lift was just one of the last nails in Jimmy Carter's political coffin. In the end, the Sunshine State's (then) 17 electoral votes didn't mean diddly squat give that Reagan won 489 EVs versus Carter's 49.

The Iran hostage crisis was a much bigger deal re; 20. And NOT just because of October surprises, was the drip-drip-drip of over a year of "Day 378" or whatever day it was.
    '
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    kle4 said:

carnforth said:

Nothing wrong with Foreign Secretary's getting involved in a bit of dress up. It may even sometimes be a concession to the hosts to do something stupid they suggest with 'No, really, this is part of our cultural heritage, give it a go...haha' comments. You just don't want to go too overboard with it.

I wonder if he attended The Running of the Jew.
  • Options
    Well, that's alright then......touch n'go was it?

The First Minister has cleared Humza Yousaf of breaking the ministerial code during the SNP leadership contest.

The Health Secretary, who hopes to succeed Nicola Sturgeon next week as the party chief, was accused of breaking official rules by accessing government material to support his Bute House ambitions and rubbish his rival Ash Regan.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/nicola-sturgeon-cleared-humza-yousaf-29494001
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    Where is Stuart Dickson. We need him here to defend the crock of shit that is the the SNP.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

SNP leadership round 87

Nicola Sturgeon’s sister has just said she would rather vote Tory than for Kate Forbes or Ash Regan

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1637184432418217984

The SNP look to be in as bad as if not worse state than Labour were at their lowest point under the Absolute Boy.
    If SLAB can't win at least 20 seats at the next election at this point then they're a bit shit.
    They are real shit
  • Options

I was charmed by Gillian Sturgeon's "cast assumptions with no evidence", and spent more time than I should have trying to figure out what she meant. Perhaps "cast aspersions"?

(I can think of how one might -- and sometimes should -- cast away assumptions, as one sometimes should, but just casting them?)

She is not the brightest bulb in the room
  • Options

Sean_F said:

That isn't quite true. The deposit return scheme is/was a total disaster, as is/was the ban on alcohol advertising that would have banned distilleries from providing souvenir whisky tasting glasses and the like. People have been noticing.
    There were a bucket load to pick from
  • Options

Well, that's alright then......touch n'go was it?

The First Minister has cleared Humza Yousaf of breaking the ministerial code during the SNP leadership contest.

The Health Secretary, who hopes to succeed Nicola Sturgeon next week as the party chief, was accused of breaking official rules by accessing government material to support his Bute House ambitions and rubbish his rival Ash Regan.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/nicola-sturgeon-cleared-humza-yousaf-29494001

You could not make it up
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    kle4 said:

carnforth said:

It does kinda come with the job as a foreign minister, that you’ll get dragged into the rituals and customs of other countries, often not quite sure if they’re taking the p!ss out of their visitor. It suits a certain sort of more extrovert personality.
This discussion has been closed.