Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Cuckoo? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,573

LOL

Who are the Tories “focus grouping”. Unless they’ve given up and trying to shore up their core vote. Extremely core
    Intrigued by the 23% who think the Braverman plan will make the boat situation worse. I'm not sure they're wrong, but I'm intrigued at the logic.
    According to the government's own data, 209 migrants were detected crossing the Channel yesterday (17/3/23). No idea how many were undetected.

So it doesn't look as if the legislation introduced earlier this month is having much of a deterrent impact yet, especially given the intention to apply the legislation retrospectively from 7/3 once it has gone through Parliament.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

For the best part of a century, Switzerland’s financial USP was discretion, carefully protected by banking secrecy laws. Or, more bluntly, Swiss banks were where you hid your money, few questions asked. That ended as a result of US fury on discovering how UBS and others had helped US taxpayers evade tax. So the new USP became expertise: put your money in Switzerland not to hide it but because Swiss bankers know how to manage it well.

Shows how behand the times I am. Where do people now go to hide their money? I guess they just invent incrediblty complex and opaque corproate structures to move things about or something.

Even for some enthusiastic capitalists I can see the final paragraph striking a chord. Big global institutions, when they go wrong, seem to go really wrong.

British dependencies.
    Makes me proud to be British.
    If we can hold on to nothing else but our ability to wash dirty money and loot cultural artifacts, then that is still something.
    And preserve slavers' statues from having baths, too. Edit: as opposed to dodgy money.
    Perhaps we could combine the two? Protect statues of George Washington for cash?
    Not aware that Mr Washington was a slaver, as opposed to Mr Jefferson?
    https://www.mountvernon.org/george-washington/slavery/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pro_Rata said:

Off topic (which I will read), but continuing to buzz in my bonnet

MEN voodoo poll, but a 📌 this big should stick. Should Transpennine Express be stripped of their franchise?:

Yes - 92%
    No - 6%

Who are the 6%?!

Edit - reminds me of the time the TES ran a voodoo poll on how much confidence teachers had in the DfE. In over 3000 responses, not a single one had complete confidence in the DfE. Only a handful (about 30) had even some confidence in it.
    Pro Trans rights people make up that 6%.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

For the best part of a century, Switzerland’s financial USP was discretion, carefully protected by banking secrecy laws. Or, more bluntly, Swiss banks were where you hid your money, few questions asked. That ended as a result of US fury on discovering how UBS and others had helped US taxpayers evade tax. So the new USP became expertise: put your money in Switzerland not to hide it but because Swiss bankers know how to manage it well.

Shows how behand the times I am. Where do people now go to hide their money? I guess they just invent incrediblty complex and opaque corproate structures to move things about or something.

Even for some enthusiastic capitalists I can see the final paragraph striking a chord. Big global institutions, when they go wrong, seem to go really wrong.

British dependencies.
    If we can hold on to nothing else but our ability to wash dirty money and loot cultural artifacts, then that is still something.
    And preserve slavers' statues from having baths, too.
    The important stuff, exactly.
    Oh yes, and dogs' names in histories of RAF heroism of the most self-sacrificial kind (somehow the most important bit of all, though I can't see why).
    You could argue that 617 kept the concept of precision attack alive. Which in turn led to the Pathfinders, and to the Oboe Mosquito system.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,573
    Sean_F said:

There is also speculation this weekend that Johnson may be using his resignation honours list to reward those who have helped him through the inquiry – an allegation his team rejects as “completely untrue”. The Observer has been told that several figures who have featured in the inquiry also appeared in the draft version of Johnson’s honours list.

Well, he wants to give his father a knighthood for his championing of women’s’ rights.
    Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think violence against women is funny.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    edited March 2023
    Foxy said:

LOL

Who are the Tories “focus grouping”. Unless they’ve given up and trying to shore up their core vote. Extremely core
    Intrigued by the 23% who think the Braverman plan will make the boat situation worse. I'm not sure they're wrong, but I'm intrigued at the logic.
    I suppose the permanent detention of tens of thousands in hotels, without hearing cases or allowing them to work might be a recipie for trouble.
    Next 5000 illegals from boats offer them british citizenship fasttracked if the sign an NDA which means they will lose that citizenship and be deported if they help make youtube videos of border services executing them on the spot....push the video's on youtube and if countries complain just shrug.....immigrants will see them and stop coming
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893
    edited March 2023

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

British dependencies.
    And preserve slavers' statues from having baths, too. Edit: as opposed to dodgy money.
    Perhaps we could combine the two? Protect statues of George Washington for cash?
    Many thanks - had not been familiar with this.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

British dependencies.
    And preserve slavers' statues from having baths, too.
    The important stuff, exactly.
    Oh yes, and dogs' names in histories of RAF heroism of the most self-sacrificial kind (somehow the most important bit of all, though I can't see why).
    You could argue that 617 kept the concept of precision attack alive. Which in turn led to the Pathfinders, and to the Oboe Mosquito system.
    Oh,. absolutely. And also the casualty rate from the Dams raid itself was ferocious.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

British dependencies.
    Talking about mount(ains)...

I find mountains very funny, do you know why? Because they are hill-areas.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,746
    edited March 2023
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

LOL

I suppose the permanent detention of tens of thousands in hotels, without hearing cases or allowing them to work might be a recipie for trouble.
    Next 5000 illegals from boats offer them british citizenship fasttracked if the sign an NDA which means they will lose that citizenship and be deported if they help make youtube videos of border services executing them on the spot....push the video's on youtube and if countries complain just shrug.....immigrants will see them and stop coming
    I know it’s a joke, but it points to one of the intractable cultural gulfs within British society. Those who care about our reputation abroad and those who don’t. Those who were embarrassed at our hooligans in the 80s and 90s and those who though they were funny.

Not a value judgment. There are merits to be argued for both positions. But nevertheless a real cleavage.

A lot of the 2016 vote and subsequent commons battles within both major parties can probably be traced back to this divide.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

British dependencies.

That pun was at best rocky.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,409

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

British dependencies.

Do they give you the Matter-Horn?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,790
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

British dependencies.

It's a fair Kop.
  • Options
    Does anyone else have a job that’s training for their holidays?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

Sean_F said:

There is also speculation this weekend that Johnson may be using his resignation honours list to reward those who have helped him through the inquiry – an allegation his team rejects as “completely untrue”. The Observer has been told that several figures who have featured in the inquiry also appeared in the draft version of Johnson’s honours list.

Well, he wants to give his father a knighthood for his championing of women’s’ rights.
    Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think violence against women is funny.
    Nor do I.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

British dependencies.

It's a fair Kop.
    One has to take the cnocs, reading such puns on PB.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

British dependencies.

It's a fair Kop.
    One has to take the cnocs, reading such puns on PB.
    It Alps to have a dictionary handy at times.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

British dependencies.

Can't you guys let it ever rest?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

WillG said:

kle4 said:

British dependencies.

Can't you guys let it ever rest?
    Do you think it's oK 2?
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,518
    edited March 2023
    First, welcome back, Cyclefree.

And let me add a little detail to your discussion: In that wonderfully funny* book, "The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight", Breslin describes the Mafia narcotics operations of a Brooklyn boss as depending on Swiss banks:
    "It takes large amounts of cash in small bills to pay for a shipment of heroin or cocaine which could earn hundreds of thousands of dollars. If Bacala feels a shipment is worth it, he sends Moe Fein on a plane to Lucerne, Switzerland, to withdraw the money from Bacala's numbered accounts. The accounts total over eleven million dollars. In Switzerland, Fein meets someone from the Corsican drug factory organization."

Money changes hands, narcotics soon flow through Montreal into New York, where they are sold on the street.

So, it wasn't just tax evaders who used Switzerland.

(* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gang_That_Couldn't_Shoot_Straight_(novel)
    Wonderfully funny if you don't mind a bunch of low-level gangsters getting killed. Or the odd result of the movie made, loosely, on the book. It made Joey Gallo, on whom the novel is based, a celebrity, which pleased him, in spite of the fact that the book depicts him as an incompetent thug.)
  • Options
    Astonishing rant from Conte

Surely he must be sacked in the morning !!!!!!

'Conte lets rip at Tottenham | 'I see selfish players - I don't see a team''

http://www.skysports.com/share/12837453
  • Options
    Speaking of tax evasion, this search string will produce some interesting results: "tax evasion + Apple, Inc."
  • Options
    Actually I'm moving the awesome pun thread to tomorrow afternoon.
  • Options
    ReedReed Posts: 152
    Think too many people have been on the drink tonite.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,900
    MikeL said:

LATEST
    @OpiniumResearch
    /
    @ObserverUK
    poll

No budget bounce for the Conservatives as Labour’s lead holds at 15 points. (Changes are vs. last week rather than our last published Observer poll)

Con 29% (nc)
    Lab 44% (nc)
    Lib Dems 8% (nc)
    Green 6% (+1)
    ReformUK 7% (-1)

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch

Con + Reform on 36% combined is a reassuring result for the right-of-centre parties.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Nothing to see here…..

EXC: Senior execs at @Circ_Scotland, the firm in charge of Scotland’s under-fire deposit return scheme, are receiving £670,000 a year in salaries & fees, confidential documents leaked to @TheScotsman show. Its CEO, David Harris, has a salary of £300k. scotsman.com/business/depos…

https://twitter.com/martynmcl/status/1637151843913441280

I've no problem with that as long as it is received entirely in the form of empty glass bottles and cans.
  • Options
    The Sunday Mail have dusted off the SNP dirt file, might be good for a laugh tomorrow

https://twitter.com/CraigoRobertson/status/1637201937173995521
  • Options
    Reed said:

kle4 said:

Speaking of things which are cuckoo, whilst Youtube do what it likes it may be the first time I've thought Bridgen had a point in having a grievance. For one thing, the speech was probably a laugh riot of idiocy and many people are now denied that through the main platform.

@YouTube have taken down the speech I gave in Parliament today. I am an elected member of the UK Parliament. The speech was given in the Chamber of the House of Commons and responded to by a Government Minister, what chance has anyone else got of putting their views on YouTube?
    https://twitter.com/ABridgen/status/1636824545330905117

They can read it in Hansard if they are that bothered. Letting a bunch of grifters make money on it is no bueno.
    The speech has been reinstated on youtube now.
    Like I said grifters want to make money out of it. Its a tricky one when someone is making such obviously dangerous and insincere comments. He is clearly a disgrace to himself let alone anyone else. Right down there with Piers Corbyn. I know people those folks led by the nose to an early grave and I don't have much sympathy for their whining. However, I don't think Bridgen is actually advocating violence or bloodshed (unlike many of his supporters) so it is probably best not to block his comments. Sometimes you just have to hold your nose and wave them through
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501
    OK, pb brains trust: I'm in the midst of, for want of a better word, a loft conversion. Two new bedrooms and an office upstairs. I need to start thinking about lighting. Too many light fittings appear to be there to looked at, rather than to cast the room in an appealing light. The default is pendants, but they cast a horrible light. The secondary default is spots, which are fine, but don't enthuse me (and also aren't great for insulation). I'm thinking perhaps wall lights of some sort, but that's as far as I've got. Any experts (whether self-appointed or otherwise) on interior illumination here?
  • Options
    TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

LOL

I know it’s a joke, but it points to one of the intractable cultural gulfs within British society. Those who care about our reputation abroad and those who don’t. Those who were embarrassed at our hooligans in the 80s and 90s and those who though they were funny.

Not a value judgment. There are merits to be argued for both positions. But nevertheless a real cleavage.

A lot of the 2016 vote and subsequent commons battles within both major parties can probably be traced back to this divide.
    Actually it wasn't a joke and frankly who cares about the UK's reputation abroad.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,774
    Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

LOL

Actually it wasn't a joke and frankly who cares about the UK's reputation abroad.
    I do
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Cookie said:

OK, pb brains trust: I'm in the midst of, for want of a better word, a loft conversion. Two new bedrooms and an office upstairs. I need to start thinking about lighting. Too many light fittings appear to be there to looked at, rather than to cast the room in an appealing light. The default is pendants, but they cast a horrible light. The secondary default is spots, which are fine, but don't enthuse me (and also aren't great for insulation). I'm thinking perhaps wall lights of some sort, but that's as far as I've got. Any experts (whether self-appointed or otherwise) on interior illumination here?

Uplighters do give rather more subtle lighting, though probably want something stronger over the desk.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Cyclefree said:

This is a shortened version of longer article, considering some other aspects of this issue, which you can find here, if interested - https://medium.com/@cyclefree2/cuckoo-be1c97265e6b.

Good to see you back.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

LOL

I do
    Why? China has a bad rep, same with russia, the us, how the fuck does it effect you.

The EU sends migrants to slave labour factories in LIbya they dont seem to care about rep

If we get a rep for summarily executing illegals (even though we actually arent) and illegals stop coming well thats one in the plus column as far as I can see.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Not an expert but we have gone for extensive use of wall-lights which direct the light up to the ceiling in out last couple of houses. That way you get a well-lit room without the glare of direct lights.
  • Options

Reed said:

kle4 said:

Speaking of things which are cuckoo, whilst Youtube do what it likes it may be the first time I've thought Bridgen had a point in having a grievance. For one thing, the speech was probably a laugh riot of idiocy and many people are now denied that through the main platform.

@YouTube have taken down the speech I gave in Parliament today. I am an elected member of the UK Parliament. The speech was given in the Chamber of the House of Commons and responded to by a Government Minister, what chance has anyone else got of putting their views on YouTube?

They can read it in Hansard if they are that bothered. Letting a bunch of grifters make money on it is no bueno.
    Like I said grifters want to make money out of it. Its a tricky one when someone is making such obviously dangerous and insincere comments. He is clearly a disgrace to himself let alone anyone else. Right down there with Piers Corbyn. I know people those folks led by the nose to an early grave and I don't have much sympathy for their whining. However, I don't think Bridgen is actually advocating violence or bloodshed (unlike many of his supporters) so it is probably best not to block his comments. Sometimes you just have to hold your nose and wave them through
    Mind you there is this from Bridgen

I can confirm that during my visit to Washington DC last Christmas/ New Year I was informed that the US DoD were responsible for both the virus and the vaccines. Fort Detrick was named. Also a facility in Canada. (1/2)

10:19 AM · Mar 12, 2023

·

1.4M

Views

By the end of the month I expect to see the start of criminal proceedings against the many politicians and officials who are responsible around the world. (2/2)

·

Views

https://twitter.com/ABridgen/status/1634861570957225984?s=20
  • Options
    How dare YouTube block a speech made by an elected member of the House of Commons in the chamber of the house, regardless of whether or not what he was saying was nonsense.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

How dare YouTube block a speech made by an elected member of the House of Commons in the chamber of the house, regardless of whether or not what he was saying was nonsense.

Its a private company they can choose what they allow on their site. How dare Bridgen demand he is shown in all his ignominy or any other fuckwit like him
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

LOL

I do
    Why? China has a bad rep, same with russia, the us, how the fuck does it effect you.

The EU sends migrants to slave labour factories in LIbya they dont seem to care about rep

If we get a rep for summarily executing illegals (even though we actually arent) and illegals stop coming well thats one in the plus column as far as I can see.
    Whether it directly affects me is neither here nor there. I care about the reputation of the country because I still believe we can be an influence for good in the world.

The idea of summarily executing anybody is totally abhorrent to me. Pretending to do so is both abhorrent and frankly ridiculous - if it were to be believed (it wouldn't) we'd be a pariah state; since it would be seen through very easily we'd just look totally stupid.

Have you been drinking?
  • Options

Cookie said:

Not an expert but we have gone for extensive use of wall-lights which direct the light up to the ceiling in out last couple of houses. That way you get a well-lit room without the glare of direct lights.
    My only bit of expertise on this is one sentence gleaned second hand from someone who IS an expert in interior lighting, reported by an architect: that the way you perceive the light in a room is by the light on the walls. Uplighters (or up and down lighters, if such a thing exists) would probably do the trick here.
    And like Foxy says, something rather brighter where there is a desk.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Its a private company they can choose what they allow on their site. How dare Bridgen demand he is shown in all his ignominy or any other fuckwit like him
    A Bridgen too far.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

LOL

I do

Whether it directly affects me is neither here nor there. I care about the reputation of the country because I still believe we can be an influence for good in the world.

The idea of summarily executing anybody is totally abhorrent to me. Pretending to do so is both abhorrent and frankly ridiculous - if it were to be believed (it wouldn't) we'd be a pariah state; since it would be seen through very easily we'd just look totally stupid.

Have you been drinking?
    The point was we weren't summarily executing people, we were giving ourselves the rep for it. Personally if it saves lives because illegals stop drowning because they stop crossing in small boats because they fear a bullet in the back of the head if they land then yes reputation can go hang if it saves even 1 life. Its about as valuable a whores used knickers

If reputation is more important then you are hyacinth bucket and I claim my 5 pounds
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,291
    Reed said:

Reed said:

kle4 said:

Mind you there is this from Bridgen

I can confirm that during my visit to Washington DC last Christmas/ New Year I was informed that the US DoD were responsible for both the virus and the vaccines. Fort Detrick was named. Also a facility in Canada. (1/2)

·

1.4M

Views

By the end of the month I expect to see the start of criminal proceedings against the many politicians and officials who are responsible around the world. (2/2)

·

Views

https://twitter.com/ABridgen/status/1634861570957225984?s=20
    FFS. ‘Informed’ by whom? There are a ton of fuckwits out there who believe any old shit, rather than the truth about vaccines.
    No question, some people were injured and some died as a result of the covid vaccination. But vastly more lives were saved. If you don’t agree please show your evidence, and not just twitter posts.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,547
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

LOL

I do

You've highlighted the hard-nosed reason national reputation matters.

Russia struggles to sell stuff abroad because almost everyone hates the Russian government. (Sorry, trollskis, but it's true.)

The lack of trust people have in the Chinese government has a similar effect; the world buys lots of Chinese stuff because it's cheap, and their attempts to move into higher-value stuff (say electronics) look like being hampered by the poor rep the Chinese state has.

Now you can sell anything if it's cheap enough, sure. But that feeds back into the fundamentally rubbish lives workers in those countries have. Similarly, the broadly positive view the world has of the British- that we're basically decent and honest and law-abiding makes the UK a place where people are willing to do business and we all profit from that.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Ben - when you say 'extensive' - would you use in a bedroom, and if so how many in a large-ish double bedroom?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,143
    Cookie said:

As others have said, uplighters are nice.

An office in the eaves in summer, especially if you have computers and printers in it that get warm, might benefit from one of these though

https://www.theceilingfancompany.co.uk/fans-with-lights/mayfair-white-with-light-111825
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

LOL

I do

Have you been drinking?
    The point was we weren't summarily executing people, we were giving ourselves the rep for it. Personally if it saves lives because illegals stop drowning because they stop cr

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

LOL

I do

Russia struggles to sell stuff abroad because almost everyone hates the Russian government. (Sorry, trollskis, but it's true.)

The lack of trust people have in the Chinese government has a similar effect; the world buys lots of Chinese stuff because it's cheap, and their attempts to move into higher-value stuff (say electronics) look like being hampered by the poor rep the Chinese state has.

Now you can sell anything if it's cheap enough, sure. But that feeds back into the fundamentally rubbish lives workers in those countries have. Similarly, the broadly positive view the world has of the British- that we're basically decent and honest and law-abiding makes the UK a place where people are willing to do business and we all profit from that.
    People like you are always saying though we don't produce any goods people want so no harm then
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Uplighters do give rather more subtle lighting, though probably want something stronger over the desk.
    That's true. We managed to get one of these Artemide Tizio 35's some years ago in a clearance sale for a snip, it's excellent but pricy when undiscounted.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Andy_JS said:

Right to free speech does not mean right to a platform.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

My only bit of expertise on this is one sentence gleaned second hand from someone who IS an expert in interior lighting, reported by an architect: that the way you perceive the light in a room is by the light on the walls. Uplighters (or up and down lighters, if such a thing exists) would probably do the trick here.
    They do. I have them in my sunroom.

Look for exterior lights as they offer that feature.
  • Options

Only if I'm holidaying on that island from Lord of the Flies.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

I think it does if he said it in the House if Commons.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    edited March 2023

Astonishing rant from Conte

Surely he must be sacked in the morning !!!!!!

'Conte lets rip at Tottenham | 'I see selfish players - I don't see a team''

http://www.skysports.com/share/12837453

Tottenham always choke at critical moments. 3 -1 up away from home, ...to only draw is appalling. Always chose the other team in critical fixtures involving Spurs....its paid off in the past....no reason why not in the future....
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Or your bog standard comprehensive as that island is more often called

• Options
    Reed said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes but you are wrong
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Id like to buy my own island at some point. Keep out the riff raff.
  • Options
    Reed said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

It’ll be in that massively read journal of record, Hansard… That’s as far as I’d like to see it. He is so far down the rabbit hole only his feet are showing. I wonder if he tries to ask scientists who disagree with what he is propounding (most of them). Almost certainly not.
  • Options
    Reed said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

In the H of C.
    Not on YouTube.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Ben - when you say 'extensive' - would you use in a bedroom, and if so how many in a large-ish double bedroom?
    Yes we have one each side of the bed in our bedroom, separately switched. They are up and down lighters - the downlight is useful for reading, the uplight gives a nice soft light in the whole room. (We do get a bit of a glare off the ceiling mirror over the bed but hey-ho*.)

We also have some ceiling-hung spots to shine into the wardrobe - useful on dark mornings when you're trying to fine the right colour shirt etc. but we use those only occasionally.

*Ok that's a joke.
  • Options
    Reed said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Id like to buy my own island at some point. Keep out the riff raff.
    If you do it will be your right to say "No putin you can keep on knocking but you can' t come in"
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

I certainly don't work in a "bog standard Comprehensive".
    Standards of behaviour and education are stratospheric in them compared to what they were.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,779
    As I recall, Credit Suisse hired an American Chief Risk Officer, who had no risk experience and was tasked with finding "business opportunities". That worked as well you would expect.

I suspect UBS might be interested in Credit Suisse's private banking business - the clients and relationship managers - but not the organisation, and certainly not the investment bank.
  • Options
    EFC 2-1 to be relegated.
    10 games to play. Fewer than most of our rivals. 6 against the top 9.
    Of the other 4 only 1 is at home. Bournemouth on the final day.
    I reckon that is value.
  • Options
    Presumably that bell-end Bridgen will not be reselected as the Tory candidate for North West Leicestershire since he does not have the Troy whip (even though he's still a member of the Conservative party)?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,779

LOL

They could be reading "small boats issue" as overall asylum policy, not just numbers of small boats.

The lack of legal asylum routes certainly does increase the number of small boat crossings however.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

That's true. We managed to get one of these Artemide Tizio 35's some years ago in a clearance sale for a snip, it's excellent but pricy when undiscounted.

That has sat on our big table since 1980.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

EFC 2-1 to be relegated.
    I reckon that is value.

5.2 for Leicester to go down looks value to me (though I got on at longer odds). We are 17th and playing poorly, with a manager whose teams always fade at the end of a season.

Yes, we equalised today, but it was our only shot on target of the game.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

LOL

I do

Have you been drinking?
    The point was we weren't summarily executing people, we were giving ourselves the rep for it. Personally if it saves lives because illegals stop drowning because they stop cr

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

LOL

I do

People like you are always saying though we don't produce any goods people want so no harm then
    This is an interesting discussion. I think I’m on to something here. You really don’t care how we are seen abroad, and I think there are many people who think like you. Millions perhaps.

I do. Why? Not for hard nosed reasons. Probably somewhere deep down in my inner psyche. Something imbued in me by my parents. Wanting to be liked. Seen as an all round good egg. Not wanting to cause unnecessary offence. Some prefer to be liked than feared. Others, the reverse.

It’s perhaps one of those horseshoe theories which explain why the Etonians and the Red wall get along so unaccountably well together. A contentment with being feared and respected, rather than liked. Something shared by many Russians, US Republicans and - unlike his centrist brethren - Emmanuel Macron.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

EFC 2-1 to be relegated.
    I reckon that is value.

5.2 for Leicester to go down looks value to me (though I got on at longer odds). We are 17th and playing poorly, with a manager whose teams always fade at the end of a season.

I wonder about Palace?
    They don't seem to be getting any points at all.
    It is desperately close between the bottom 9.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,981
    TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

LOL

I do

Have you been drinking?

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

LOL

I do

This is an interesting discussion. I think I’m on to something here. You really don’t care how we are seen abroad, and I think there are many people who think like you. Millions perhaps.

I do. Why? Not for hard nosed reasons. Probably somewhere deep down in my inner psyche. Something imbued in me by my parents. Wanting to be liked. Seen as an all round good egg. Not wanting to cause unnecessary offence. Some prefer to be liked than feared. Others, the reverse.

It’s perhaps one of those horseshoe theories which explain why the Etonians and the Red wall get along so unaccountably well together. A contentment with being feared and respected, rather than liked. Something shared by many Russians, US Republicans and - unlike his centrist brethren - Emmanuel Macron.
    I think the danger is when people overreact to things. They see a comedy show in Germany making fun of the UK over Boris and flip their shit over it, that sort of thing.

I want the UK to be positively thought of. But I think absent truly extreme Trumpian cases the reputation of a country and its citizens doesn't shift all that much, and certainly does not have the diplomatic effect some people think it does - deals get struck with dictators and authoritarian regimes all the time, if you avoid Putinesque exploits people's views might fluctuate a bit but any significant change, say on seeing your country as more prosperous, more liberal etc, will take many many years.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

LOL

There isn't any logic to it. The 23% are people who detest the policy and replying like this is their way of expressing it.
  • Options
    Reed said:

No nude to be reed!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

EFC 2-1 to be relegated.
    I reckon that is value.

I wonder about Palace?
    Our next game is away at Palace, so should fix that for them!

Any of the bottom 9 could go down.

Our last match is West Ham at home. It could come down to that.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,143
    Reed said:

Is it not after the lagershed in St Petersburg?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Good to see Cyclefree back.

Groucho Marx said he wouldn't want to join any club that would have him as a member. Why would UBS want to buy Credit Suisse? What is in it for them? One thinks back to Victor Blank and Lloyds deciding to buy HBOS without doing due diligence. Surely the most calamitous acquisition in British corporate history.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Andy_JS said:

LOL

There isn't any logic to it. The 23% are people who detest the policy, and replying in this way is their way of expressing it.
    Similar vibes with the people saying the budget this week would make them worse off. There were no tax or spending announcements that would make any significant group of people worse off. It was a budget of fiscal loosening. But a portion of people would always say the worst possible thing about a government they hate.

(Not to say I thought the budget was great by the way, It was, in my appraisal, not screamingly bad).
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,981
    Reed said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Not so - should tiktok be forced to host House of Commons debates for example? Itunes putting up podcasts of it?

I think the decision was a stupid one, even though Bridgen is a deeply stupid man based on his words and actions, but Parliament makes footage available and he provided another way of accessing it. The power of a big company to control the debate because of the dominance of their platforms is something to be concerned about, but if they are not required to provide something, how can they be forced to do so?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Left-wing writer Nick Cohen decides that wokeism does in fact exist.

"Nick Cohen
    @NickCohen4
    "The wokeism that dare not speak its name"
    Long read from me on how, despite all the claims to the contrary, a distinct progressive ideology came out of the US and why its illiberalism will undermine it."

https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/1637045971581370374

"Two ideas can be true simultaneously. A new and distinct “woke” ideology developed after 2010 in American academia, and boorish right-wingers use “woke” to mean “whatever I don’t like”.

https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/1637047538913013760
  • Options
    TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

LOL

There isn't any logic to it. The 23% are people who detest the policy, and replying in this way is their way of expressing it.
    Similar vibes with the people saying the budget this week would make them worse off. There were no tax or spending announcements that would make any significant group of people worse off. It was a budget of fiscal loosening. But a portion of people would always say the worst possible thing about a government they hate.

(Not to say I thought the budget was great by the way, It was, in my appraisal, not screamingly bad).
    I think most people will be worse off from Hunts budget due to fiscal drag, but probably haven't spotted that yet.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

LOL

It's certainly made me worse off.
    Fiscal drag.
    That it wasn't mentioned in the Budget doesn't change that.
    Plus. Constant below inflation pay offers make me worse off.
    They aren't expressed either.
    Still makes me worse off.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

LOL

Fiscal drag.
    Fiscal drag... is a cross-dressing banker?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Reed said:

You have to allow people the chance to drown their sorrows.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

EFC 2-1 to be relegated.
    I reckon that is value.

I wonder about Palace?
    I'm officially worried about the Hammers' chances this season :(
  • Options
    Anyone in more important news, Gary Lineker is back on Match Of The Day.

Looking forward to all the expert analysis on how he did after his period on the sidelines. A little rusty, short of match practice? Like he'd never been away?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,974
    edited March 2023
    So the fat oafs defence is he’s too stupid to realize that the rules were being broken . So just parroted lines given to him by his advisors.

• Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    SNP leadership round 87

Nicola Sturgeon’s sister has just said she would rather vote Tory than for Kate Forbes or Ash Regan

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1637184432418217984

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370
    edited March 2023

Scott_xP said:

Reed said:

Indeed. There must be an island somewhere that Vladimir can capture for him. Ideally one without a standing army though.

Surely getting deep into 3 figures on PB before the ban hammer deserves that.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

I certainly don't work in a "bog standard Comprehensive".
    Standards of behaviour and education are stratospheric in them compared to what they were.
    “He consistently sets himself low standards. And fails the meet them.”
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,167

SNP leadership round 87

Nicola Sturgeon’s sister has just said she would rather vote Tory than for Kate Forbes or Ash Regan

The SNP look to be in as bad as if not worse state than Labour were at their lowest point under the Absolute Boy.
    If SLAB can't win at least 20 seats at the next election at this point then they're a bit shit.
  • Options

Looking forward to all the expert analysis on how he did after his period on the sidelines. A little rusty, short of match practice? Like he'd never been away?

Not him tonight, Mark Chapman tonight.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

LOL

Fiscal drag.
    Plus. Constant below inflation pay offers make me worse off.
    They aren't expressed either.
    Still makes me worse off.
    Fiscal drag should mean an answer of “the same”. It would happen if we didn’t have any budgets.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

That has sat on our big table since 1980.

Blimey, I didn't realise they had been around for so long. Still looks bang up to date to me.

We enjoy spotting them on the TV - usually in dramas, used to denote sophisticated good taste.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Reed said:

Indeed. There must be an island somewhere that Vladimir can capture for him. Ideally one without a standing army though.

Surely getting deep into 3 figures on PB before the ban hammer deserves that.
    Biggest advance Russia has made in weeks.

Thing like that might put a bit of stride in a chaps step…

https://imgur.com/HIcHo30
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,127

SNP leadership round 87

I am sure Douglas Ross and Rishi will gladly welcome her into the fold when, as looks increasingly likely, Kate Forbes is elected SNP leader
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Not him tonight, Mark Chapman tonight.

So much worse tonight than with Gary, said literally no one.
  • Options
    I was charmed by Gillian Sturgeon's "cast assumptions with no evidence", and spent more time than I should have trying to figure out what she meant. Perhaps "cast aspersions"?

(I can think of how one might -- and sometimes should -- cast away assumptions, as one sometimes should, but just casting them?)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Only 4-9?

• Options

Good to see Cyclefree back.

Groucho Marx said he wouldn't want to join any club that would have him as a member. Why would UBS want to buy Credit Suisse? What is in it for them? One thinks back to Victor Blank and Lloyds deciding to buy HBOS without doing due diligence. Surely the most calamitous acquisition in British corporate history.

Buy the wreckage cheap. Tear it down for parts. Junk the rest….
  • Options

Only 4-9?

Bit disappointing. Unless it's a series which is unfolding all week...
This discussion has been closed.