Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is it Scötterdämmerung for the SNP? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.
    Can't have Southampton winning. Will put the bottom nine within 4 points!

Second red card of the season, so a 4 game ban, right?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,326

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Gary Lineker was never ever sent off!
    Until Friday.
    Too much is attached to his record though, Pete.

He wasn't an especially clean or honest player, but he is smart. I know how he got away with it. I played at a decent amateur level until I was 35 and only got booked once. Yet I was, by common consent, a dirty player. How did I get away with it?

Never argued with referees. Too smart. :)
    Although I am a Baggie, my neighbour was a BlueNose. They were in the second division and Villa in the third, so aged around 10 or 12 we would be dropped off at St Andrews and my friend's dad would head off to Villa Park. I went to see a game, but have never had anything but disdain for the Blues, but I remember seeing Trevor Francis as a 16 year old apprentice, and. I could tell he was a cut above. Trev had an exemplary record and was also heading for a career clean sheet until quite late in his career, a bought foul from Billy Sharp saw red.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    TOPPING said:

Can someone please explain to me the new/different ball thing.

TIA

That took a bit of working out, but you can’t take a ‘quick’ lineout with a new ball. If you take a new ball there has to be a ‘formal’ lineout. Presumably to prevent home-team ballboys asssisting in quick line outs.

It does seem rather harsh not to let the try stand though, given that it was scored by the other team.

A good first half of rugby, from the point of view of a neutral observer.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

We are all Ireland today.

Piss off
    Heh.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Gina Miller
    @thatginamiller
    ·
    3h
    I'm hearing Richard Sharp will resign by the end of the day

What would Gina Miller know?
    Tories definitely gone to defense from offense

Sharps position is untenable in an independent State Broadcaster
    Again, you are implying that it ever has been defensible. It hasn't.

The reason I'm making an issue of this is because if he doesn't resign after being accused of corruption, why should he resign for being a fool?
    I'm tempted to say "this organisation does not tolerate failure", as if I'm in a loving pastiche of a Bond movie, but we all know that the organisation running the UK is incredibly tolerant of failure.
    SPECTRE must have a considerable tolerance for failure. Their success rates rival those of DfE schemes.

Now I’m having a vision of Max Von Sydow announcing a plan to reorganise A-levels.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Gina Miller
    @thatginamiller
    ·
    3h

Independent?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    Brilliant first half
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,899
    Brilliant game of Rugby
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Gina Miller
    @thatginamiller
    ·
    3h

The reason I'm making an issue of this is because if he doesn't resign after being accused of corruption, why should he resign for being a fool?
    I'm tempted to say "this organisation does not tolerate failure", as if I'm in a loving pastiche of a Bond movie, but we all know that the organisation running the UK is incredibly tolerant of failure.
    SPECTRE must have a considerable tolerance for failure. Their success rates rival those of DfE schemes.

Now I’m having a vision of Max Von Sydow announcing a plan to reorganise A-levels.
    Couldn't possibly do worse than Spielman did.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

DougSeal said:

Gina Miller
    @thatginamiller
    ·
    3h

Independent?
    It's an oxymoron. Either it's independent or it's a state broadcaster...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

TIA

That took a bit of working out, but you can’t take a ‘quick’ lineout with a new ball. If you take a new ball there has to be a ‘formal’ lineout. Presumably to prevent home-team ballboys asssisting in quick line outs.

It does seem rather harsh not to let the try stand though, given that it was scored by the other team.

A good first half of rugby, from the point of view of a neutral observer.
    Ah that makes perfect sense thanks and yes a bit harsh given that it was a Scotland infraction.
  • Options
    Kate Forbes, the nationalist MSP bidding to be Scotland’s youngest ever first minister, has signalled it could be years before a fresh independence vote is held because the case for it is not yet persuasive enough.

She told the Guardian in an interview that the Scottish National party had to put much greater emphasis on slowly persuading unionists to support independence, by first using Holyrood’s existing economic powers to prove Scotland can flourish.

Forbes, the Scottish government’s finance secretary, said it would be counterproductive to follow Nicola Sturgeon’s strategy of repeatedly setting target dates for a second independence referendum.

“It’s not possible to say and I won’t give you a timescale,” Forbes said when asked what her target date was.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/12/snps-kate-forbes-signals-scottish-independence-vote-could-be-years-away
  • Options
    The way a government treats refugees is very instructive because it shows you how they would treat the rest of us if they thought they could get away with it. - Tony Benn
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Gina Miller
    @thatginamiller
    ·
    3h

Okay, next question. How is SKS to blame?
    He is not but his first instinct was to pick the wrong side before changing sides
    You are making that up BJO. Yvette was unwise early on, as was white van lady. If Starmer waited to see how the wind blew he is smarter than I thought. Jezza would have gone in studs up, before finding the Council of Deputies view on the affair.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Our world cup chances already were mininal and nil, and minimal just left town. I went down to the local club and found them as gloomy as me. Losing at Twickenham to Scotland was bad enough, but having your arse handed back on a plate by France was too much.

I am now an Ireland supporter, joining my in-laws to celebrate Paddy's day, and I look forward to another Irish celebration later this year.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Gina Miller
    @thatginamiller
    ·
    3h

{a scale model of a comprehensive rises out of the floor}

“Man has climbed Mount Everest, gone to the bottom of the ocean. He's fired rockets at the Moon, split the atom, achieved miracles in every field of human endeavour... EXCEPT EDUCATION!”
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,065

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

He wasn't an especially clean or honest player, but he is smart. I know how he got away with it. I played at a decent amateur level until I was 35 and only got booked once. Yet I was, by common consent, a dirty player. How did I get away with it?

Despite my non-footie fan status, I'd like to add something here. *Years* ago (perhaps decades), I heard a conversation between Vinnie Jones and Gary Lineker (probably on R5L). Jones was complaining about Lineker's 'clean' status, and that he'd get booked for things that Lineker had done. Lineker's response was that he had occasionally made mistakes, but as he was known as a 'clean' player, refs would let it slide. Whereas Jones, a notorious hard nut, would get booked.

I'm guessing pre-existing reputation also matters.

I *think* I'm remembering that correctly... The things I'd listen to whilst out walking.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Gina Miller
    @thatginamiller
    ·
    3h

With Mr Cummings as Odd Job?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

Despite my non-footie fan status, I'd like to add something here. *Years* ago (perhaps decades), I heard a conversation between Vinnie Jones and Gary Lineker (probably on R5L). Jones was complaining about Lineker's 'clean' status, and that he'd get booked for things that Lineker had done. Lineker's response was that he had occasionally made mistakes, but as he was known as a 'clean' player, refs would let it slide. Whereas Jones, a notorious hard nut, would get booked.

I *think* I'm remembering that correctly... The things I'd listen to whilst out walking.
    I think you’re about to get BobbyJobbed
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Gina Miller
    @thatginamiller
    ·
    3h

{a scale model of a comprehensive rises out of the floor}
    "What is this? A comprehensive school for ANTS?!"
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,912
    edited March 2023

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

How many times did Lineker actually tackle someone? Once a game?
  • Options
    I've just seen the result! Dave Cameron's side just got a draw

Anyway, MoTD is not lost forever, Matt LeTiss' is up for it.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

People said the same of Colin Cowdrey - that he walked, when he was out in a county match and it wouldn't matter much, so umpires would think if he didn't walk in say, an Ashes test he wasn't out.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,065

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

How many times did Lineker actually tackle someone? Once a game?
    Well, he's very keen to tackle the government now, so perhaps he thinks he's making up for it. ;)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Gina Miller
    @thatginamiller
    ·
    3h

He's 50% of the way there, but there he's stuck. Nobody will give him a job.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446

Hopefully we'll avoid relegation :blush:
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

Ah so maybe some refs conform with that silly right-wing cliche about the left - they assume good people can't do bad things.
  • Options

Hopefully we'll avoid relegation :blush:
    Surely safe mid-table, oh right, I see...
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

It has the ring of truth, JJ.

Remember that we are talking about ancient history here. I was a good full-back, but my weakness was lack of pace. It was important to try and slow the winger up if I could. Most referees would allow me a couple of bites before they even spoke to me. Some would let it go all game. I'm not especially proud of this, but it's just how it was then.

I wouldn't last five minutes these days.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

Remember that we are talking about ancient history here. I was a good full-back, but my weakness was lack of pace. It was important to try and slow the winger up if I could. Most referees would allow me a couple of bites before they even spoke to me. Some would let it go all game. I'm not especially proud of this, but it's just how it was then.

In 2000 (I think) they got David Elleray to re-referee the 1970 FA Cup under current rules.

I think he showed 8 red cards and 20 yellow cards.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Gina Miller
    @thatginamiller
    ·
    3h

Not even Mrs Cummings?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Gina Miller
    @thatginamiller
    ·
    3h

Not even Mrs Cummings?
    I don't know whether he's blown that too.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

Ah so maybe some refs conform with that silly right-wing cliche about the left - they assume good people can't do bad things.
    That cliche is actually the basis of most mythology and a lot of culture. Consider the Iliad - being brave meant you were good.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    edited March 2023
    stjohn said:

Off topic.

I put up this clue up here yesterday. No one bit.

Key message is less convenience food (8)

Here it is again in today's Sunday Times. I've been trying to win their clue writing contest for years. Finally done it. Fame at last! 😁

ChatGPT thinks the answer is ESSENTIA for very convoluted reasons.

I think it is TAKEAWAY

Excellent clue.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Gina Miller
    @thatginamiller
    ·
    3h

Not even Mrs Cummings?
    Must be hard
  • Options
    Good game of rugby :)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Gina Miller
    @thatginamiller
    ·
    3h

Not even Mrs Cummings?
    Must be hard
    Well, his career was a flop.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Gina Miller
    @thatginamiller
    ·
    3h

Susanna Reid says he would have to beat off a lot of men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn25VyP2p6c
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

Just imagine how many abandoned matches a Don Revie Leeds would feature on today's terms. Mind you West Brom under Johnny Giles and Nobby Stiles had a reputation. One wasn't sure whether it was deliberate or as a result of ponderously slow tackling by ponderously slow players like Paddy Mulligan
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Is it Scotterdaemerung? Probably not. But it makes fo ra more interesting ride than usual.

People should read Wings Over Scotland though, purely for entertainment value if nothing else - he's always so angry about everything it is quite amusing.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,301

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Gina Miller
    @thatginamiller
    ·
    3h

Susanna Reid says he would have to beat off a lot of men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn25VyP2p6c
    It’s an old gag

https://youtu.be/QvffxxhoBIk
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Gina Miller
    @thatginamiller
    ·
    3h

That it is a possibility, and so if she is wrong she can say the people who told her are wrong, and if she is right she looks prescient.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,658
    On Topic - Answer to TSE's burning question = No.

Why? Because (according to my pet theory) Scottish National Party has dropped in polling, to benefit of Labour, mainly due to the current leadership vacuum & election (or visa versa?)

Note that Labour's dramatic slide from popularity & then power in Scotland, began after the death of Donald Dewar, who IIRC was regarded as a strong leader, in contrast to his SLAB successors.

Further note that rise of SNP was achieved under two strong leaders, the King Fish and then the Queen Fish.

Far from Caledonia, would appear that the current gaggle of hopefuls to replace Nicola Sturgeon are more in the minnow category, with proviso that Little Fish can sometimes grow into Big Fish. PROVIDED they do NOT get et by some other hungry fishy swimming the same troubled waters.
  • Options
    Ireland!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

stjohn said:

Off topic.

Here it is again in today's Sunday Times. I've been trying to win their clue writing contest for years. Finally done it. Fame at last! 😁

I think it is TAKEAWAY

Excellent clue.
    Are you suggesting, that our beloved PBer "stjohn" is in (virtual) reality, a bot?!?

Personally loath to believe it . . . however it WOULD explain a lot . . .
  • Options

The way a government treats refugees is very instructive because it shows you how they would treat the rest of us if they thought they could get away with it. - Tony Benn

I don't think that is actually true, since they treat refugees (and prisoners, amongst others) roughly because they think it will be popular with the rest of us, it's not out of a desire to treat people shittily most of the time. But the first part about the way we treat the vulnerable being instructive is certainly true.
  • Options
    Poor Scotland. One day it'll be there year again.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    TOPPING said:

TIA

Is this about cricket ?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

TIA

Is this about cricket ?
    Quick lineout related
  • Options
    PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT - Note that, in the United States, those parts of the country that observe Day Light Savings time, began observing it this morning, when 2pm was magically transformed into 3pm.

Or, was we say, we SPRANG FORWARD.

As a consequence, UK time is now +4 hours ahead of New York (EDT) and +7 ahead of Seattle (PDT).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_in_the_United_States
  • Options
    edited March 2023

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

That cliche is actually the basis of most mythology and a lot of culture. Consider the Iliad - being brave meant you were good.
    Oh yes it has truth but people with left wing views aren't extra especially prone to it. Its attribution to the modern left was probably first dreamt up by some pundit in the drivelpipe and it was one of those that took off. There's little one can do once this happens.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I expect the SNP to ride this out ok unless they shock everyone and pick Regan as leader. To me she looks lightweight and tbh not capable of doing the job. In a word, Trussy.

In another word, Swinsony.
    Hmm, ok, sort of, but I'm going to stick to mine. Lightweight and with the constant mulish certainty of always being right when always palpably wrong. A towering ineffectual.

Trussy.
    Truss managed to do one thing right, she shocked us out of our complacency and managed national decline by pointing at the very real issue that the UK is becoming a low growth zone.
    She certainly shocked us, I'll give you that!

But has her tenure left us wised-up and energized, thus better placed to achieve higher sustainable growth? Rather the opposite, I fear.
    Well it's forced Hunt into full expensing of investment against corporation tax. That move has been rejected by the treasury as "too expensive" and lefties as "corporate welfare" for as long as I can remember. That he's being forced to implement it is a victory for Truss IMO and it will push up business investment and GDP by a pretty decent amount.

If the measure comes on Wednesday it will represent a significant change to the UK business environment. Previously we've had measly £250k capital allowances or the narrow super deduction. Full expensing opens up the firehose of cash companies have been sitting on.

What I'd love to see on top is a £50bn energy and industrial security fund for matched investment in economic resilience.
    That could be a good policy if the net impact is genuinely productive investment rather than tax fiddling and corporate profits boosted at the expense of the exchequer - hope so and let's see. But putting a big pro-Truss angle on it seems rather generous. A bit like those 'Corbyn won the argument' takes that used to go around in my circles to cushion the pain.
    There's a lot more chance of that working than there is for cutting corporation tax.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    Barnesian said:

stjohn said:

Off topic.

I think it is TAKEAWAY

Excellent clue.
    @stjohn
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I expect the SNP to ride this out ok unless they shock everyone and pick Regan as leader. To me she looks lightweight and tbh not capable of doing the job. In a word, Trussy.

In another word, Swinsony.
    Hmm, ok, sort of, but I'm going to stick to mine. Lightweight and with the constant mulish certainty of always being right when always palpably wrong. A towering ineffectual.

Trussy.
    Truss managed to do one thing right, she shocked us out of our complacency and managed national decline by pointing at the very real issue that the UK is becoming a low growth zone.
    She certainly shocked us, I'll give you that!

But has her tenure left us wised-up and energized, thus better placed to achieve higher sustainable growth? Rather the opposite, I fear.
    Well it's forced Hunt into full expensing of investment against corporation tax. That move has been rejected by the treasury as "too expensive" and lefties as "corporate welfare" for as long as I can remember. That he's being forced to implement it is a victory for Truss IMO and it will push up business investment and GDP by a pretty decent amount.

If the measure comes on Wednesday it will represent a significant change to the UK business environment. Previously we've had measly £250k capital allowances or the narrow super deduction. Full expensing opens up the firehose of cash companies have been sitting on.

What I'd love to see on top is a £50bn energy and industrial security fund for matched investment in economic resilience.
    That could be a good policy if the net impact is genuinely productive investment rather than tax fiddling and corporate profits boosted at the expense of the exchequer - hope so and let's see. But putting a big pro-Truss angle on it seems rather generous. A bit like those 'Corbyn won the argument' takes that used to go around in my circles to cushion the pain.
    There's a lot more chance of that working than there is for cutting corporation tax.
    For sure. But I don't really see it as a Truss achievement.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Is it Scotterdaemerung? Probably not. But it makes fo ra more interesting ride than usual.

People should read Wings Over Scotland though, purely for entertainment value if nothing else - he's always so angry about everything it is quite amusing.

Rarely wrong on SNPand Scottish matters though. Not quite so good on some other things.
  • Options
    In a previous PB post, serious questions were raised concerning Redfield & Wilton poll of Scottish voters. With another PBer suggesting that R&W was perhaps akin to Trafalgar. in some somewhat less than positive ways.

Has R&W yet made any kind of response? Considering that PB is (allegedly) "The Web's Premier Resource for Political Betting".
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

TIA

Is this about cricket ?
    Quick lineout related
    That's an elongated ellipsoid.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

Oh yes it has truth but people with left wing views aren't extra especially prone to it. Its attribution to the modern left was probably first dreamt up by some pundit in the drivelpipe and it was one of those that took off. There's little one can do once this happens.
    They are fairly prone to it, which is why people on the left often act as apologists for brutal dictators. Remember the protestor who defended President Assad because "he's a doctor, for heaven's sake"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D3c-MHr87w
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

Just imagine how many abandoned matches a Don Revie Leeds would feature on today's terms. Mind you West Brom under Johnny Giles and Nobby Stiles had a reputation. One wasn't sure whether it was deliberate or as a result of ponderously slow tackling by ponderously slow players like Paddy Mulligan
    In the case of Leeds, definitely deliberate. Likewise Nobby Stiles.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I've some sympathy for the small tech companies whose money is tied up in SVB, but none for these guys.
    If you've that much cash to deposit, you can afford people to manage it properly.

Roku Says $487 Million of Its Cash, or 26%, Was Held in Failed Silicon Valley Bank
    https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/roku-svb-failed-silicon-valley-bank-cash-1235549817/
  • Options
    edited March 2023

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

They are fairly prone to it, which is why people on the left often act as apologists for brutal dictators. Remember the protestor who defended President Assad because "he's a doctor, for heaven's sake"?

Same on the right. Look at how Donald Trump could do no wrong for so many people even though he spent most of his time doing exactly that. It really isn't a special left wing characteristic.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Not seen by the TV cameras, but a thumb up to the crowd from Garry Ringrose as he was stretchered off. Hopefully not seriously injured, and simply all the protocols being followed.
    https://twitter.com/Inphosports/status/1634960041471262720
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

stjohn said:

Off topic.

I think it is TAKEAWAY

Excellent clue.
    @stjohn
    Indeed, as shown by the obvious clue in the Sunday Times picture: Takeaway: key message is less convenient food
    Doh!

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Not seen by the TV cameras, but a thumb up to the crowd from Garry Ringrose as he was stretchered off. Hopefully not seriously injured, and simply all the protocols being followed.

It was shown on the BBC feed and the commentators commented on it.

Hope he’s okay
  • Options
    Great game and Ireland won comfortably
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

Same on the right. Look at how Donald Trump could do no wrong for so many people even though he spent most of his time doing exactly that. It really isn't a special left wing characteristic.
    Assad surely must be harshly judged - as WG says, he's a doctor (medical), and his wife grew up in Acton. If Trump had grown up in Acton he'd be a better man than he is.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

Tony Blair was certainly exasperated by the left-wing protesters who never seemed too bothered about the likes of Robert Mugabe.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    pigeon said:

We know how Westminster elections work in Scotland. The SNP spend the entire campaign bleating on about independence, and are guaranteed to walk away with most of the seats at the end of it because the Nationalist vote is united whereas the Unionist vote is split. And, whilst the Ruth Davidson-era Tories managed to pick up a dozen seats in 2017, they were disproportionately strong in the areas where support for independence was weakest, whereas most of Labour's prime targets are in Glasgow and surrounding areas where the inverse is true.

It hardly matters who is leading the SNP in this context. Zippy from Rainbow could win the next GE for the SNP. If Scottish Labour can make a dozen gains it will be doing very well indeed.

Zippy from Rainbow looks like seriously aspirational to be honest. At least he didn't spend his time taking lumps out of George.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

Just imagine how many abandoned matches a Don Revie Leeds would feature on today's terms. Mind you West Brom under Johnny Giles and Nobby Stiles had a reputation. One
    wasn't sure whether it was deliberate or as a result of ponderously slow tackling by ponderously slow players like Paddy Mulligan
    I watched the 1966 World Cup with my son a few years ago. It was a long 90 minutes. Nobby Stiles, Jack Charlton and Alan Ball. Three players that must all feature in the pantheon of dirty players. Jack was on fire that day. Some might call him "physical"...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796
    SCÖTTERDÄMMERUNG!

No comment I can post would improve upon that. Chapeau TSE
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

Just imagine how many abandoned matches a Don Revie Leeds would feature on today's terms. Mind you West Brom under Johnny Giles and Nobby Stiles had a reputation. One
    wasn't sure whether it was deliberate or as a result of ponderously slow tackling by ponderously slow players like Paddy Mulligan
    I watched the 1966 World Cup with my son a few years ago. It was a long 90 minutes. Nobby Stiles, Jack Charlton and Alan Ball. Three players that must all feature in the pantheon of dirty players. Jack was on fire that day. Some might call him "physical"...
    Wasn’t it 120 minutes, the ‘66 final?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,313
    Sandpit said:

https://twitter.com/Inphosports/status/1634960041471262720

It was seen by the cameras, and thus by me too…
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

120 minutes is always a long 90 minutes, just saying.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

That’s the Artist Defence - a slightly different thing.

See defenders of Ezra Pound - “He’s a poet”

Same for D'Annunzio

Dalí as well

I recall one excruciating article trying to ignore the actions of Karadžić on the grounds that he was a post and doctor. So must have good in him.

Or the excuse for Roman Polanski, put forward by Sigourney Weaver - “He’s an auteur.”
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

Wasn’t it 120 minutes, the ‘66 final?
    Yes it was, my mistake. It still felt an awful lot longer. The levels of fitness, the ball control (except for Sir Geoff!) the pace wasn't a patch on today
  • Options
    edited March 2023

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

Yes, but Sandpit beat you too it. My error. It still felt longer.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,177

Ireland!

Remember that next weekend...
  • Options
    It's time to stop being an England Rugby fan and start being an England Cricket fan.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    England could win next week now that I've changed sides. England's only hope? Liston lost to Cassius Clay (as he was then) against all the odds, but I can't see England doing it.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:
    Pissing off pro-refugers, free-speechers, football fans AND the blind - all in one go!

Tremendous "achievement" by HMG spin-meisters.

Especially considering, that when someone compares something to Nazis, it almost always backfires. But not THIS time.
  • Options
    @Independent
    reports that the "BBC fears it cannot sack Gary Lineker or force him to follow social media rules on impartiality because of ambiguities in his contract"

And would likely lose any legal claim.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

It's time to stop being an England Rugby fan and start being an England Cricket fan.

Ireland v England next weekend is going to be a good one.

Paddy’s weekend, one team looking for the Slam and the other needing to bounce back from a terrible performance yesterday.

I’m not known for needing much of an excuse to spend six hours in the pub, but the last day of the 6N is always one of the sporting highlights of the year.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

Yes, but Sandpit beat you too it. My error. It still felt longer.
    So he did.

Despite the scoreline, the drama and what was at stake, long stretches of the game were very poor. The pace of the game was very slow, not helped by the lush Wembley turf and lower levels of fitness. Also, was that old leather ball heavier? It certainly looks it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913

Carnyx said:
    Pissing off pro-refugers, free-speechers, football fans AND the blind - all in one go!

Tremendous "achievement" by HMG spin-meisters.

Especially considering, that when someone compares something to Nazis, it almost always backfires. But not THIS time.
    And add nature- and Attenborough-lovers as well, for the second course.
  • Options
    I can't believe I've had to find this out on twitter rather than PB..

@AllieRenison

Some judging pandemonium going on at #crufts2023 on Channel 4

https://twitter.com/AllieRenison/status/1634970039702147074
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    Scott_xP said:

Ireland!

Remember that next weekend...
    I was going to support England against Ireland until I saw that.

Said no Scotland fan ever.
  • Options
    From the Irish Independent’s rugby correspondent:

https://twitter.com/CianTracey1/status/1634968918694723589

Garry Ringrose is up and talking in the medical room.

Great to hear.”
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    I have been thinking about immigration, I wonder whether the pro immigration people aren't really contributing to keeping places shit holes....not totally sold on the idea but here is some thought

1) Some places are shitholes and need people to stand up and say no
    2) When places are shitholes many prefer emigrating to living in a shit hole or standing up....understandably its a safer option
    3) Most of those managing to emigrate will be the middle class
    4) Most revolutions are driven by the middle class ultimately

So the theory, migration and allowing it weakens the middle class in shit hole countries that need reform thus making it less likely they will get changed

Not totally sold, a theory I am pondering so throwing it out to see what people think
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Great game and Ireland won comfortably

It was a cracking game. Let’s face it. Ireland are going to destroy England next week.
  • Options
    MOTD2 only 15 mins tonight
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

From the Irish Independent’s rugby correspondent:

https://twitter.com/CianTracey1/status/1634968918694723589

Garry Ringrose is up and talking in the medical room.

Great to hear.”

Great news. 👍
  • Options

MOTD2 only 15 mins tonight

Man U v Saints highlights could fill that
  • Options

@AllieRenison

Tweet deleted.
  • Options

There’s a test match v Ireland this year. We may win that. We will be battered next week
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.

Until Friday.

Assad surely must be harshly judged - as WG says, he's a doctor (medical), and his wife grew up in Acton. If Trump had grown up in Acton he'd be a better man than he is.
    An interesting what-if. My sense fwiw is Trump would still be bad news even with an Acton upbringing.
  • Options

@AllieRenison

Did the mutts go on strike, in support of Gary Lineker? Woke has gone (or gotten) to the dogs!
This discussion has been closed.