Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is it Scötterdämmerung for the SNP? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.
    Can't have Southampton winning. Will put the bottom nine within 4 points!

Gary Lineker was never ever sent off!
    Until Friday.
    Too much is attached to his record though, Pete.

He wasn't an especially clean or honest player, but he is smart. I know how he got away with it. I played at a decent amateur level until I was 35 and only got booked once. Yet I was, by common consent, a dirty player. How did I get away with it?

Never argued with referees. Too smart. :)
    Despite my non-footie fan status, I'd like to add something here. *Years* ago (perhaps decades), I heard a conversation between Vinnie Jones and Gary Lineker (probably on R5L). Jones was complaining about Lineker's 'clean' status, and that he'd get booked for things that Lineker had done. Lineker's response was that he had occasionally made mistakes, but as he was known as a 'clean' player, refs would let it slide. Whereas Jones, a notorious hard nut, would get booked.

I'm guessing pre-existing reputation also matters.

I *think* I'm remembering that correctly... The things I'd listen to whilst out walking.
    Ah so maybe some refs conform with that silly right-wing cliche about the left - they assume good people can't do bad things.
    That cliche is actually the basis of most mythology and a lot of culture. Consider the Iliad - being brave meant you were good.
    Oh yes it has truth but people with left wing views aren't extra especially prone to it. Its attribution to the modern left was probably first dreamt up by some pundit in the drivelpipe and it was one of those that took off. There's little one can do once this happens.
    They are fairly prone to it, which is why people on the left often act as apologists for brutal dictators. Remember the protestor who defended President Assad because "he's a doctor, for heaven's sake"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D3c-MHr87w
    Same on the right. Look at how Donald Trump could do no wrong for so many people even though he spent most of his time doing exactly that. It really isn't a special left wing characteristic.
    Assad surely must be harshly judged - as WG says, he's a doctor (medical), and his wife grew up in Acton. If Trump had grown up in Acton he'd be a better man than he is.
    An interesting what-if. My sense fwiw is Trump would still be bad news even with an Acton upbringing.
    He'd never have gotten away with his hair in West London. Maybe in the East. (These matters are W vs E rather than the usual London N vs S)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    Pagan2 said:

I have been thinking about immigration, I wonder whether the pro immigration people aren't really contributing to keeping places shit holes....not totally sold on the idea but here is some thought

1) Some places are shitholes and need people to stand up and say no
    2) When places are shitholes many prefer emigrating to living in a shit hole or standing up....understandably its a safer option
    3) Most of those managing to emigrate will be the middle class
    4) Most revolutions are driven by the middle class ultimately

So the theory, migration and allowing it weakens the middle class in shit hole countries that need reform thus making it less likely they will get changed

Not totally sold, a theory I am pondering so throwing it out to see what people think

To me this smacks of overstraining to supply anti-immigration sentiment with a cod-benign motivation.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

@Independent
    reports that the "BBC fears it cannot sack Gary Lineker or force him to follow social media rules on impartiality because of ambiguities in his contract"

And would likely lose any legal claim.

If that's the advice they have forcing him off air was even dumber. At least if regular rules applied it'd be technically right just ineffective.
  • Options

I can't believe I've had to find this out on twitter rather than PB..

@AllieRenison

Some judging pandemonium going on at #crufts2023 on Channel 4

https://twitter.com/AllieRenison/status/1634970039702147074

Did the mutts go on strike, in support of Gary Lineker? Woke has gone (or gotten) to the dogs!
    I have no idea!

I'm pretty disappointed that the PB Crufts Correspondent hasn't told us..
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368

@Independent
    reports that the "BBC fears it cannot sack Gary Lineker or force him to follow social media rules on impartiality because of ambiguities in his contract"

But when his contract ends you tell him to fuck right off.
  • Options

@Independent

Isn't it easier to end a contract that doesn't involve employment?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,313

It's time to stop being an England Rugby fan and start being an England Cricket fan.

Why? I support my sides through the good and the bad times. Supporting Swindon, Bath and Hampshire means a lot of lows, which makes the highs better.
    This England rugby team is a shadow of the side that thrashed NZ in 2019 in the WC semi. Yet France we’re astonishingly good yesterday, as good as that England performance 4 years ago. They would have beaten anyone, let alone a weak England side who have lost their way.
    Back in 2003 the England team were described in NZ as White Orcs on steroids. They are hobbits at the moment.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,326
    edited March 2023

MOTD2 only 15 mins tonight

Just as well Liverpool v Man U was last week.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,085

Kate Forbes, the nationalist MSP bidding to be Scotland’s youngest ever first minister, has signalled it could be years before a fresh independence vote is held because the case for it is not yet persuasive enough.

She told the Guardian in an interview that the Scottish National party had to put much greater emphasis on slowly persuading unionists to support independence, by first using Holyrood’s existing economic powers to prove Scotland can flourish.

Forbes, the Scottish government’s finance secretary, said it would be counterproductive to follow Nicola Sturgeon’s strategy of repeatedly setting target dates for a second independence referendum.

“It’s not possible to say and I won’t give you a timescale,” Forbes said when asked what her target date was.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/12/snps-kate-forbes-signals-scottish-independence-vote-could-be-years-away

“Youngest ever” isn’t that significant given there have only been 6…

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014

@Independent

Yes. Depends on how it is written of course and many contracts have notice periods similar to employment (this is one of the things HMRC looks at regarding IR35. Genuine contractors usually have a zero notice period on both sides meaning that either the contractor or the contracting party can terminate the contract with no notice period.)

I would be surprised if there is much of a notice period in the contract, especially as Lineker is currently embroiled in the whole disguised employment legal case
  • Options
    Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Great game and Ireland won comfortably

It was a cracking game. Let’s face it. Ireland are going to destroy England next week.
    Seems likely, unless England can find a way to compete at the breakdown and in contact. Very much second best yesterday.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

Casemiro sent off.
    Can't have Southampton winning. Will put the bottom nine within 4 points!

Gary Lineker was never ever sent off!
    Until Friday.
    Too much is attached to his record though, Pete.

He wasn't an especially clean or honest player, but he is smart. I know how he got away with it. I played at a decent amateur level until I was 35 and only got booked once. Yet I was, by common consent, a dirty player. How did I get away with it?

Never argued with referees. Too smart. :)
    Despite my non-footie fan status, I'd like to add something here. *Years* ago (perhaps decades), I heard a conversation between Vinnie Jones and Gary Lineker (probably on R5L). Jones was complaining about Lineker's 'clean' status, and that he'd get booked for things that Lineker had done. Lineker's response was that he had occasionally made mistakes, but as he was known as a 'clean' player, refs would let it slide. Whereas Jones, a notorious hard nut, would get booked.

I'm guessing pre-existing reputation also matters.

I *think* I'm remembering that correctly... The things I'd listen to whilst out walking.
    Ah so maybe some refs conform with that silly right-wing cliche about the left - they assume good people can't do bad things.
    That cliche is actually the basis of most mythology and a lot of culture. Consider the Iliad - being brave meant you were good.
    Oh yes it has truth but people with left wing views aren't extra especially prone to it. Its attribution to the modern left was probably first dreamt up by some pundit in the drivelpipe and it was one of those that took off. There's little one can do once this happens.
    They are fairly prone to it, which is why people on the left often act as apologists for brutal dictators. Remember the protestor who defended President Assad because "he's a doctor, for heaven's sake"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D3c-MHr87w
    Same on the right. Look at how Donald Trump could do no wrong for so many people even though he spent most of his time doing exactly that. It really isn't a special left wing characteristic.
    Assad surely must be harshly judged - as WG says, he's a doctor (medical), and his wife grew up in Acton. If Trump had grown up in Acton he'd be a better man than he is.
    An interesting what-if. My sense fwiw is Trump would still be bad news even with an Acton upbringing.
    Trelleck Tower to become Trump Tower?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796

@Independent

Not really a fan of free speech then Squareroot?
  • Options

@AllieRenison

Tweet deleted.
    You've been cancelled. You are Gary Lineker and I claim my BBC License fee.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    edited March 2023
    Nigelb said:

I've some sympathy for the small tech companies whose money is tied up in SVB, but none for these guys.
    If you've that much cash to deposit, you can afford people to manage it properly.

Roku Says $487 Million of Its Cash, or 26%, Was Held in Failed Silicon Valley Bank
    https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/roku-svb-failed-silicon-valley-bank-cash-1235549817/

They’ll get 80-90% of it back, eventually. SVB’s losses on it’s loan book aren’t /that/ bad.

Honestly, it sounds like their risk management has been a lot better than other small-medium sized tech SV tech firms. Their cash on hand was at least split across multiple banks, so they can still make payroll.

It’s the idiots who left all their cash in SVB as their sole source of banking & are bleating about government bailouts online who I have no time for. It’s all “disrupt everything!” when they get to make money, but “where’s my bailout?” when they mess up their risk management. Not a good look.
  • Options

@Independent

Couldn't be clearer. He's a fan of freely telling Gary to fuck off!
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809
    Whether you think Brexit is good or bad, it really has been shit for our car industry.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/12/china-byd-blames-brexit-as-it-rules-out-uk-for-first-european-car-plant
  • Options
    Taz said:

It's time to stop being an England Rugby fan and start being an England Cricket fan.

There’s a test match v Ireland this year. We may win that. We will be battered next week
    Yeah we should destroy Ireland in the Test.

I am feeling positive about the Ashes too. Rugby is a lost cause for us.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385

Kate Forbes, the nationalist MSP bidding to be Scotland’s youngest ever first minister, has signalled it could be years before a fresh independence vote is held because the case for it is not yet persuasive enough.

She told the Guardian in an interview that the Scottish National party had to put much greater emphasis on slowly persuading unionists to support independence, by first using Holyrood’s existing economic powers to prove Scotland can flourish.

Forbes, the Scottish government’s finance secretary, said it would be counterproductive to follow Nicola Sturgeon’s strategy of repeatedly setting target dates for a second independence referendum.

“It’s not possible to say and I won’t give you a timescale,” Forbes said when asked what her target date was.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/12/snps-kate-forbes-signals-scottish-independence-vote-could-be-years-away

Missed Mary's record for the youngest Scottish leader as well..
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,799
    edited March 2023
    Pagan2 said:

I have been thinking about immigration, I wonder whether the pro immigration people aren't really contributing to keeping places shit holes....not totally sold on the idea but here is some thought

2) When places are shitholes many prefer emigrating to living in a shit hole or standing up....understandably its a safer option

So the theory, migration and allowing it weakens the middle class in shit hole countries that need reform thus making it less likely they will get changed

Not totally sold, a theory I am pondering so throwing it out to see what people think

I would think that much emigration is just driven by people fleeing some kind of political insecurity, ie you have fallen out the powers that be. Then there is also just poverty and lack of opportunity to better yourself.

The point that I have made about this subject is that if you are 'pro immigration' you need to define a limit, and also a test for which cases are ok to let in. The problem is that globally, there is a near unlimited amount of people that would fall in to the description I have set out above, so there is always going to be a moral dilemma, it is naive to think otherwise.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,571

@Independent

In 2025. By which time, he may want to retire anyway, whatever the Chancellor may prefer
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,177
    CatMan said:

Whether you think Brexit is good or bad, it really has been shit for our car industry.

i am totally shocked by that.

At the time of the vote it seemed like Brexit would be bad news for the British car industry, but the PB brain trust assured us no such thing could possibly come to pass.

How could they get this one so wrong?
  • Options
    Probably not the announcement the Beeb were hoping to make today...

@BethRigby
    UPDATE: Senior BBC source tells me rumours that Richard Sharp about to resign as chair are “untrue” #Lineker
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,301

Taz said:

There’s a test match v Ireland this year. We may win that. We will be battered next week
    Yeah we should destroy Ireland in the Test.

I am feeling positive about the Ashes too. Rugby is a lost cause for us.
    We’ve rejuvenated test cricket. It’s brilliant.

We will come back in rugby May take a few years. I remember Ireland and Scotland teams that were embarrassing. Now they are good.
  • Options
    Osborne hits out at Tory rhetoric on immigration

BBC director-general flies home for crisis talks with presenter
  • Options
    BBC needs major reform under Labour to keep it away from the government
  • Options
    George is wise, George is right.

George Osborne has backed Gary Lineker in his row with the BBC and criticised former colleagues’ rhetoric around asylum policy.

The former chancellor also spoke up for Tim Davie, the BBC director-general, who has flown back from the US to try to end the dispute, but described the whole situation as a “bit of a mess”.

Davie was in Washington DC but travelled overnight to resolve a crisis that has severely disrupted the corporation’s sports coverage over the weekend. He is back in the UK with BBC insiders hopeful that a resolution can be found in which Lineker returns to TV screens next weekend.

Osborne, speaking to The Andrew Neil Show on Channel 4, said: “Personally I think some of the language used on immigration by some Conservatives – not all – is not acceptable. I have a lot of sympathy for Tim Davie, the director-general, who’s trying to maintain impartiality for the BBC in a partisan age. But it’s all ended up in a bit of a mess.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/richard-sharp-bbc-crisis-fuels-calls-for-chairman-to-quit-8n6x9dlcz
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

@Independent

It rather depends on what is in the contract!

But it is certainly true that a contractors tend to have many fewer protections. With that said, during the Y2K scrum in the UK, I saw people who had contracts that guaranteed them pay through to the end of January 2000, and where the contractor would essentially be paid under all circumstances.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

during the Y2K scrum in the UK, I saw people who had contracts that guaranteed them pay through to the end of January 2000, and where the contractor would essentially be paid under all circumstances.

Unless of course the World had indeed ended at midnight...
  • Options

I've just seen the result! Dave Cameron's side just got a draw

Anyway, MoTD is not lost forever, Matt LeTiss' is up for it.

Would this be the same Matt Le Tissier who said that Covid patients struggling for breath were all actors?

I mention this, because it would be odd to say "what you say on social media matters if you are Lineker, but not if you are Matt Le Tissier".
  • Options

@Independent

In 2025. By which time, he may want to retire anyway, whatever the Chancellor may prefer
    He might be Labour MP for Uxbridge, or Richmond by then.
  • Options
    John Harris superb in the Guardian:
    ‘20 years on, memories of the Iraq war may have faded, but it shaped the diminished UK we know today’

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/12/iraq-war-diminished-uk-2003-public-trust-government
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800
    edited March 2023

Humza Yousaf considering shamelessly stealing Ash Regan’s policy of Holyrood snap election. Has he seen SNP internal polling? None of his opponents will…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-64931626
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

This reform will probably consist of shoving Tory stooges out of the way and replacing them with figures from charities or the arts who are overwhelmingly sympathetic to metropolitan left-liberal concerns. The management will just end up bent one way rather than the other.
  • Options
    @KevinASchofield
    1m
    Former immigration minister Caroline Nokes becomes the first Tory MP (I think) to say they won’t vote for the Illegal Migration Bill.

Says it risks criminalizing pregnant women, children and families.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,823

@Independent

Do you think the BBC would want to piss off their new Labour overlords by doing that?

More likely we see the end of the Tory stooges first.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby
    UPDATE: Senior BBC source tells me rumours that Richard Sharp about to resign as chair are “untrue” #Lineker

Will probably need to be dragged kicking and screaming from his cushy number, just like he who was responsible for putting him there.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Nigelb said:

I've some sympathy for the small tech companies whose money is tied up in SVB, but none for these guys.
    If you've that much cash to deposit, you can afford people to manage it properly.

Roku Says $487 Million of Its Cash, or 26%, Was Held in Failed Silicon Valley Bank
    https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/roku-svb-failed-silicon-valley-bank-cash-1235549817/

They’ll get 80-90% of it back, eventually. SVB’s losses on it’s loan book aren’t /that/ bad.

Honestly, it sounds like their risk management has been a lot better than other small-medium sized tech SV tech firms. Their cash on hand was at least split across multiple banks, so they can still make payroll.

It’s the idiots who left all their cash in SVB as their sole source of banking & are bleating about government bailouts online who I have no time for. It’s all “disrupt everything!” when they get to make money, but “where’s my bailout?” when they mess up their risk management. Not a good look.
    I suspect they'll get 90-95% of it back, and it is entirely possible that it will be 100%. (Don't forget the loan book is only about $70bn, and most of that is deposited in SVB bank accounts.)

There are plenty of bits of SVB that are profitable. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a large US bank (perhaps Goldman) pick it up while wiping out all the shareholders and junior creditors.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

This reform will probably consist of shoving Tory stooges out of the way and replacing them with figures from charities or the arts who are overwhelmingly sympathetic to metropolitan left-liberal concerns. The management will just end up bent one way rather than the other.
    Well, the Tories would only have themselves to blame if that happens.

Sauce for the goose and all.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,571
    Foxy said:

pigeon said:

Well, the Tories would only have themselves to blame if that happens.

Sauce for the goose and all.
    There's a genuine problem for the Conservatives here. Hardly any working-age people support them, hardly any graduates support them.

Where can Conservay-minded quangocrats come from? (Hence people like Richard Sharp, or Toby Young.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I've just seen the result! Dave Cameron's side just got a draw

Anyway, MoTD is not lost forever, Matt LeTiss' is up for it.

Would this be the same Matt Le Tissier who said that Covid patients struggling for breath were all actors?

I mention this, because it would be odd to say "what you say on social media matters if you are Lineker, but not if you are Matt Le Tissier".
    I may be wrong but I believe Le Tiss' called out Ian Wright on GeeBeebies.

Enough of that. I thought my Dave quip about the W. Ham v Villa draw was hilarious. Sadly no one agreed.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@KevinASchofield
    1m
    Former immigration minister Caroline Nokes becomes the first Tory MP (I think) to say they won’t vote for the Illegal Migration Bill.

Says it risks criminalizing pregnant women, children and families.

She'll be deselected. Too sane for this version of the Tories.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,673

@Independent

Why would you want to do that? You might not like him, but those in the know consider him to be the best at his job and value for money. Unless it is you are against free speech or hypocritically are happy for othe BBC presenters to comment on twitter, but not Lineker. Are you proposing firing Andrew Neil for instance?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

Full backing of the board vibe
  • Options
    pigeon said:

That would be slightly better though wouldn't it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913

@AllieRenison

Did the mutts go on strike, in support of Gary Lineker? Woke has gone (or gotten) to the dogs!
    I have no idea!

Some gorgeous gundogs - especially the Red and White Setter.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,658
    Have the Tories largely shredded their own "War of Woke" by the Wack way they've engineered (or so it appears) perhaps the most famous example of Cancel Culture, since proto-wokeists beheaded Charles I of blessed memory?

Clearly not among true-blue believers, though seems they've dented even their morale & confidence somewhat. Anti-woke still a rallying cry for rallying the base, esp. parts flaking off toward Reform.

However, with swing-voters, whose votes are up for grabs between Conservatives and a LESS right-wing option, the story, reckon it's a different story.

About time for someone with the PM's and CUP's interest(s) at heart, to start giving direction to stop digging, and start re-filling the hole the Tories have dug for themselves.

Maybe George Osborne's statement is part of that?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

@Independent

Not really - try cancelling your mobile phone contract early..
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

I don't think it would be any better. Being bent in either direction is equally deleterious to the viability of the institution.

Avoiding becoming the puppet, perceived or actual, of political concerns is actually achievable. These spats don't keep afflicting ITV.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    edited March 2023

@Independent

Yes. Depends on how it is written of course and many contracts have notice periods similar to employment (this is one of the things HMRC looks at regarding IR35. Genuine contractors usually have a zero notice period on both sides meaning that either the contractor or the contracting party can terminate the contract with no notice period.)

I would be surprised if there is much of a notice period in the contract, especially as Lineker is currently embroiled in the whole disguised employment legal case
    He works via a partnership but claims to be directly employed by the bbc https://www.contractorweekly.com/tax-a-ir35-news/linekers-ir35-bill-appealed/

which rather surprised HMRC because IR35 requires a limited company to be involved. From what I gather the court case is going to be a joy to read when the judgement is released
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    edited March 2023

You mean to keep it away from a labour government which I agree

I also agee, It should be totally non political and not dependent on a licence fee from the public
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

@AllieRenison

I have no idea!

Some gorgeous gundogs - especially the Red and White Setter.
    Crufts always seems to love Wire Fox Terriers. I thought the Lagotto gorgeous. Not seen the Toy or Utility yet though.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

@Independent

He might be Labour MP for Uxbridge, or Richmond by then.
    He'd make a good LibDem MP.
  • Options

@Independent

Not under current BBC guidlines. He can work for the BBC and abide by its impartiality rules or he can leave. Up to him. He knew the rules when he took the job.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    edited March 2023

@AllieRenison

I have no idea!

I am on the ferry, hurrying to get home for the big finale, sorry

Those tweets and the account that made them are deleted now
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    eek said:

@Independent

Not really - try cancelling your mobile phone contract early..
    Or complaining when your contact is ending and tyey donh warn you and they increase your bill by 30pc
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,301
    pigeon said:

So, effectively, like the BBC under new labour.
  • Options

@Independent

Not under current BBC guidlines. He can work for the BBC and abide by its impartiality rules or he can leave. Up to him. He knew the rules when he took the job.
    Yes, but the rules do specifically permit him to comment on Social Media about politics etc:

https://twitter.com/andybell2000/status/1634208929428254728?t=jfEgwtYEV40HWoTlXQHdtQ&s=19
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

You mean privatisation?
  • Options
    kjh said:

@Independent

Why would you want to do that? You might not like him, but those in the know consider him to be the best at his job and value for money. Unless it is you are against free speech or hypocritically are happy for othe BBC presenters to comment on twitter, but not Lineker. Are you proposing firing Andrew Neil for instance?
    Value for money at 1.3 million.. jeez
  • Options
    pigeon said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

I don't think it would be any better. Being bent in either direction is equally deleterious to the viability of the institution.

Avoiding becoming the puppet, perceived or actual, of political concerns is actually achievable. These spats don't keep afflicting ITV.
    What I mean is having a left liberal cultural outlook is better than being terrified of offending an authoritarian government (Labour or Conservative). And there's no chance of any other cultural outlook at the BBC without a massive drop in quality - since creatives tend to dress that way.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,921

@Independent

Gary L really seems to have upset our resident Colonel Blimp
  • Options

You mean privatisation?
    Certainly end the licence fee = any BBC employees can say what they like.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551

Have the Tories largely shredded their own "War of Woke" by the Wack way they've engineered (or so it appears) perhaps the most famous example of Cancel Culture, since proto-wokeists beheaded Charles I of blessed memory?

Clearly not among true-blue believers, though seems they've dented even their morale & confidence somewhat. Anti-woke still a rallying cry for rallying the base, esp. parts flaking off toward Reform.

However, with swing-voters, whose votes are up for grabs between Conservatives and a LESS right-wing option, the story, reckon it's a different story.

About time for someone with the PM's and CUP's interest(s) at heart, to start giving direction to stop digging, and start re-filling the hole the Tories have dug for themselves.

I recognise you won't have any sympathies politically with this, but as I have said, there are aspects of the kerfuffle that feel to me like a staged media event to reverse the current migration bill. 'Take the proles' football away and they will soon turn away from the migrant bill'.

Every piece of legislative progress than diverges us from the EU, puts us on a secure footing as an independent country in control of our borders, or can lead to economic growth in a post-EU context, is being dropped, quietly or noisily, by the Sunak Government.

Osborne's commentary within that context reminds me of that slithery man in the Lord of the Rings who was advising the King of the Horse Riders.
  • Options

You mean privatisation?
    Sky and ITV manage under Ofcoms code
  • Options

You mean privatisation?
    Exactly. If I am not paying for Lineker he can say what he likes.
  • Options

I recognise you won't have any sympathies politically with this, but as I have said, there are aspects of the kerfuffle that feel to me like a staged media event to reverse the current migration bill. 'Take the proles' football away and they will soon turn away from the migrant bill'.

Every piece of legislative progress than diverges us from the EU, puts us on a secure footing as an independent country in control of our borders, or can lead to economic growth in a post-EU context, is being dropped, quietly or noisily, by the Sunak Government.

Osborne's commentary within that context reminds me of that slithery man in the Lord of the Rings who was advising the King of the Horse Riders.
    Isn't that, er, a bit like reusing the foil from the Christmas turkey?

Simply screwing up is a more likely explanation.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SNAP POLL: Britons say BBC was wrong to suspend Gary Lineker

All Britons: 27% right / 53% wrong
    Con voters: 51% / 36%
    Lab voters: 10% / 75%

Whomp whomp

Its a bit more complicated than that.....

Most Britons...
    1. Think the BBC are in the wrong over suspending Lineker;
    2. Don't think it's acceptable to compare gov policy with that of the Nazis;
    3. Support sports correspondents promoting their own politics on their own personal channels;
    4. Like Stopping The Boats™

https://twitter.com/BNHWalker/status/1634682526835908610?s=20
    I did comment earlier that that seems to be an accurate analysis of public opinion
    With the exception of the stopping the boats bit which I didn't comment on, that is pretty much exactly what I said last night. Everyone is wrong.

The Government for their specific recent policy announcements regarding the boat people.
    Lineker for comparing these policies to the Nazis
    The BBC for punishing Lineker for making this comparison.

However we can now add some people who are right.

All those people who have spoken up and refused to back the BBC in their idiotic actions. Including all those refusing to appear today - some of whom are, quite possibly, putting their careers on the line over this.

Except Lineker did not compare these policies to the Nazis. He compared the language used to that of Germany in the 1930s.
    Which was an equally stupid comment. But that is not the point. People should be allowed to make stupid comments without fear of their personal comments being used to push them out of their jobs.
    With one caveat: if their comment made it impossible for them to be seen to be doing their job in an impartial way, then it would be cause for dismissal / breach of contract.

If Lineker was the BBC's main political correspondent, or presented the Nine O'Clock News, then he would be demonstrating a lack of ability to be impartial.

If Lineker was a judge, and Tweeted that all Scousers were criminals, that would similarly call into question his ability to do his job without prejudice.

But he's not. He's a sports presenter. He is therefore free to tweet his support for homeopathy, or his views on phrenology, or indeed his support (or opposition) to the current government.

If you only believe in free speech for people whose views you agree with, you don't really support free speech.
    The highest paid BBC employee can say/tweet whatever he likes?

That's a strange rule for a state broadcaster

What if he did want to foment rebellion?
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 648
    I hope that, whichever party gets to appoint the next chair and DG at the BBC, they realise it might be best to appoint somebody non-political, and with experience of running a broadcasting organisation.

My sister-in-law currently runs S4C, so she might be available...
  • Options
    darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

I would think that much emigration is just driven by people fleeing some kind of political insecurity, ie you have fallen out the powers that be. Then there is also just poverty and lack of opportunity to better yourself.

The point that I have made about this subject is that if you are 'pro immigration' you need to define a limit, and also a test for which cases are ok to let in. The problem is that globally, there is a near unlimited amount of people that would fall in to the description I have set out above, so there is always going to be a moral dilemma, it is naive to think otherwise.
    Yes, in some of those "shithole" countries if you stand up and say so you'll be killed or locked up. Hence why you might prefer to leave if you can.
  • Options

Yes, of course, the political classes are some giant conspiracy.

Of course, it does rather raise the question of why the Remain camp in the referendum was quite so extraordinarily incompetent. But, don't worry, I'm sure you can think of a couple of good (albeit absurd) explanations.

Quick question for you: who exactly is in on this plan? Presumably, the government would need to be, because otherwise they might have very sensibly ignored his ridiculous comments.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...
    3. Support sports correspondents promoting their own politics on their own personal channels;

I did comment earlier that that seems to be an accurate analysis of public opinion
    With the exception of the stopping the boats bit which I didn't comment on, that is pretty much exactly what I said last night. Everyone is wrong.

The Government for their specific recent policy announcements regarding the boat people.

All those people who have spoken up and refused to back the BBC in their idiotic actions. Including all those refusing to appear today - some of whom are, quite possibly, putting their careers on the line over this.

Except Lineker did not compare these policies to the Nazis. He compared the language used to that of Germany in the 1930s.
    Which was an equally stupid comment. But that is not the point. People should be allowed to make stupid comments without fear of their personal comments being used to push them out of their jobs.
    With one caveat: if their comment made it impossible for them to be seen to be doing their job in an impartial way, then it would be cause for dismissal / breach of contract.

If Lineker was the BBC's main political correspondent, or presented the Nine O'Clock News, then he would be demonstrating a lack of ability to be impartial.

If Lineker was a judge, and Tweeted that all Scousers were criminals, that would similarly call into question his ability to do his job without prejudice.

But he's not. He's a sports presenter. He is therefore free to tweet his support for homeopathy, or his views on phrenology, or indeed his support (or opposition) to the current government.

If you only believe in free speech for people whose views you agree with, you don't really support free speech.

He isn't free to say what he likes. He's acting within his contract.

*always check the contract and the wording*
  • Options

I hope that, whichever party gets to appoint the next chair and DG at the BBC, they realise it might be best to appoint somebody non-political, and with experience of running a broadcasting organisation.

I am prepared to serve as Chairman or Director-General of the BBC.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...

Rebellion - i.e. armed uprising - would fail the criminality test, surely.

Now, what if he were to come out and say "black people are subhuman". Well, I think that would fail the ability to do his job impartially. Plus, I suspect, millions of people would stop watching MOTD in protest.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited March 2023
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,283
    edited March 2023
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...

So he doesn't have freedom of speech (except on football, where he says fuck all), whereas the post I was responding to suggested he does/should?
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 648

800k and the job's yours.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    kinabalu said:

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Yes, in some of those "shithole" countries if you stand up and say so you'll be killed or locked up. Hence why you might prefer to leave if you can.
    You could make a fair case for asylum for the entire Chinese & Russia populations.

I think I may need to investigate another extension on my house.
  • Options

You mean privatisation?
    They couldn't. You have hate speech laws, the concept of bringing your employer into disrepute, or maybe you just say something that in one way or another makes you untenable in your role.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...

So he doesn't have freedom of speech (except on football, where he says fuck all), whereas the post I was responding to suggested he does/should?
    He doesn't have freedom of speech in the areas dictated by his contract. aka football. Elsewhere, not a problem.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    "More than half of water bills in England help fund leading Chinese investment firms."

Think on that the next time you pay your water bill.

https://twitter.com/feargal_sharkey/status/1634844443974201344?s=46
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

You mean privatisation?
    They couldn't. You have hate speech laws, the concept of bringing your employer into disrepute, or maybe you just say something that in one way or another makes you untenable in your role.
    Well obviously, but maybe I didn’t add all the clauses and exceptions because that obvious?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...

Now, what if he were to come out and say "black people are subhuman". Well, I think that would fail the ability to do his job impartially. Plus, I suspect, millions of people would stop watching MOTD in protest.
    People with legal freedom of speech can be legally obliged to shut the fuck up because of their employment contracts

Lineker should be one of those

Until he goes commercial

He needs to be a real capitalist before he can act like his underlying communist
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    rcs1000 said:

Of course, it does rather raise the question of why the Remain camp in the referendum was quite so extraordinarily incompetent. But, don't worry, I'm sure you can think of a couple of good (albeit absurd) explanations.

Quick question for you: who exactly is in on this plan? Presumably, the government would need to be, because otherwise they might have very sensibly ignored his ridiculous comments.
    I call this the Gamelin Hypothesis

1) Maurice Gustave Gamelin was actually Graf von Schwabing in disguise.

Or

2) Maurice Gustave Gamelin and the rest of the French general staff were staggeringly incompetent.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...

People with legal freedom of speech can be legally obliged to shut the fuck up because of their employment contracts

Lineker should be one of those

Until he goes commercial

He needs to be a real capitalist before he can act like his underlying communist
    Did Gary Lineker once shit in your living room or something?

You sound utterly deranged when you talk about him.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...

He doesn't have freedom of speech in the areas dictated by his contract. aka football. Elsewhere, not a problem.
    No limit to what the idiot can say outside of football?

Without being fired?
  • Options

You as Chairman, me as DG?

Winner of the first punning contest gets to interview Boris Johnson.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I call this the Gamelin Hypothesis

1) Maurice Gustave Gamelin was actually Graf von Schwabing in disguise.

Or

2) Maurice Gustave Gamelin and the rest of the French general staff were staggeringly incompetent.
    He can't have been von Schwabing. Schwabing was put in the front line.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

You as Chairman, me as DG?

Winner of the first punning contest gets to interview Boris Johnson.
    Works for me.

As Director-General I would be the editor-in-chief of the BBC, I would send edicts insisting every story on the website, television, and radio had to include at least one pun.
  • Options
    @BlancheLivermore

You've made a defamatory comment about Gary Lineker, not acceptable.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    edited March 2023
    Full ratings info re Match of the Day.

"Truncated, 20’ version of #MatchOfTheDay with no #GaryLineker, none of the regular panellists & no match commentary watched by 2.6million viewers, 2nd biggest audience of the day on BBC1. (For comparison, previous 2 editions watched by 2.1m & 2m, much longer programmes of course)"

https://twitter.com/LiamHamilton16/status/1634860919225479169

"Last night's Match of the Day was watched by 2.58m TV viewers on BBC One. Up nearly half a million on last Saturday's figure of 2.09 million according to BARB overnights

It's the show's biggest audience since 5th November 2022 when 2.63m watched"

https://mobile.twitter.com/lizo_mzimba/status/1634854980824997888

There were claims on here yesterday that it had been rating significantly higher than the above numbers - they were not correct.

And worth bearing those numbers in mind re whether the story justifies such prominence on BBC News (and discussion of Lineker's BBC salary!). It is no longer a high rating programme.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,248

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...

No limit to what the idiot can say outside of football?

Without being fired?
    Clearly he can’t say anything because, for example, saying certain things is criminal.

Your obsessive hate of Lineker adds you to the weird list of monomanias on here, after BJO’s irrational loathing of SKS, and Stuart Dickson’s creepy hate of the English.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Eagles,

Emma Lousie Jones looks a good replacement for Lineker. He's neither use nor ornament. She's certainly ornament. And it's time we had a female in the interests of diversity.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

You mean privatisation?
    Well obviously, but maybe I didn’t add all the clauses and exceptions because that obvious?
    OK - but there are plenty of exceptions.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,799

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

You could make a fair case for asylum for the entire Chinese & Russia populations.

I think I may need to investigate another extension on my house.
    I've never understood why we were granting refuge to men fleeing Ukraine, presumably with the goal of avoiding compulsory military service, whilst denying the same to people from Russia, who were in a similar position; whilst supposedly backing the Ukrainian army. Anyone able to explain how this is a good idea?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,248
    The idea that two posters in one weekend might be banned for defaming…Gary Lineker…was not on my 2023 bingo.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

The idea that two posters in one weekend might be banned for defaming…Gary Lineker…was not on my 2023 bingo.

Who was the other one?
This discussion has been closed.