Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hopefully, we’ll see some Lineker polling this weekend – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,223
    edited March 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Anyone know the details on why Silicon Valley Bank collapsed? (Apart from not having enough money).

Per ChatGPT, via twitter:

Edit: not the full truth, obviously.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

DougSeal said:

By 47% to 34% the public do not think it is ever appropriate to compare government policy to actions by the Nazis

Yougov

That’s okay because it was the Government’s words, not actions, Lineker was so comparing. Which is why the public support him on this issue against the Tories, whose rhetoric has also been described as Nazi-like by Holocaust survivors. Who they also tried to ban as a result.
    So you think that Lineker has been equating the government's words to gas chambers and starvation ghettoes ?

Which would be even sillier of him than equating the government's words to the words of Hitler etc - assuming that Lineker has even read Mein Kampf etc, which I very much doubt.
    A few Mein Kampf references to Jews:

The Jewish doctrine of Marxism rejects the aristocratic principle of Nature and replaces the eternal privilege of power and strength by the mass of numbers and their dead weight. Thus it denies the value of personality in man, contests the significance of nationality and race, and thereby withdraws from humanity the premise of its existence and its culture. As a foundation of the universe, this doctrine would bring about the end of any order intellectually conceivable to man. And as, in this greatest of all recognizable organisms, the result of an application of such a law could only be chaos, on earth it could only be destruction for the inhabitants of this planet.

If, with the help of his Marxist creed, the Jew is victorious over the other peoples of the world, his crown will be the funeral wreath of humanity and this planet will, as it did thousands of years ago, move through the ether devoid of men.

Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord [p. 60].

...To what an extent the whole existence of this people is based on a continuous lie is shown incomparably by the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, so infinitely hated by the Jews. They are based on a forgery, the Frankfurter Zeitung moans and screams once every week: the best proof that they are authentic... For once this book has become the common property of a people, the Jewish menace may be considered as broken

Here he stops at nothing, and in his vileness he becomes so gigantic that no one need be surprised if among our people the personification of the devil as the symbol of all evil assumes the living shape of the Jew.

https://www.yadvashem.org/docs/extracts-from-mein-kampf.html

I'm not up to date on what Sunak and Braverman's thoughts are on illegal immigrants but I suspect there's not much correlation with Hitler.
    It took me all of five minutes to google Hitler's thoughts about Jews, come to the conclusion that they bare no resemblance to government thoughts about illegal immigrants and then copy them into a comment here.

Dos anyone think Lineker bothered to do any such checking ?

I'll also suggest that anyone spouting off about Nazi Germany is very likely publicising their ignorance about both the present and the past.
    Whereas Sugar Photoshoping Corbyn in Nazi Uniform in a car with Hitler?

No suspension.

Why Richard
    I remember Corbyn saying that he was present but not involved.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996
    geoffw said:

Barnesian said:

Turns out if you do MOTD with no presenters, pundits nor commentators then it's total crap.

It really is. Sterile.
    Andy_JS said:

Don't know what football programme this is on BBC1 at the moment, but it's quite relaxing.

Yes I have it on with the sound off.
    I haven't a clue what is happening.
    It is as relaxing as watching tropical fish in an aquarium.
    It reminds me of the old interludes - the potter and so on.
    You should try with the sound on.

OK Sound on.
    Lots of cheering and roaring. I still haven't a clue what is happening.
    But less relaxing. I prefer it with the sound off.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,704

This was the day the culture war was lost.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the Right.
  • Options

SNAP POLL: Britons say BBC was wrong to suspend Gary Lineker

All Britons: 27% right / 53% wrong
    Con voters: 51% / 36%
    Lab voters: 10% / 75%

Whomp whomp

Its a bit more complicated than that.....

Most Britons...
    1. Think the BBC are in the wrong over suspending Lineker;
    2. Don't think it's acceptable to compare gov policy with that of the Nazis;
    3. Support sports correspondents promoting their own politics on their own personal channels;
    4. Like Stopping The Boats™

https://twitter.com/BNHWalker/status/1634682526835908610?s=20
    I did comment earlier that that seems to be an accurate analysis of public opinion
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Andy_JS said:

Anyone know the details on why Silicon Valley Bank collapsed? (Apart from not having enough money).

Is that actually correct?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Sounds of the 90's on Radio 2 is attractive. We even won an FA Cup too.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited March 2023
    Barnesian said:

geoffw said:

Barnesian said:

Turns out if you do MOTD with no presenters, pundits nor commentators then it's total crap.

It really is. Sterile.
    Andy_JS said:

Don't know what football programme this is on BBC1 at the moment, but it's quite relaxing.

OK Sound on.
    If nothing else it shows how thin the actual content of the programme is. It needs that level of padding and fluff else it's not even a very good Youtube highlights reel video.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Barnesian said:

geoffw said:

Barnesian said:

It really is. Sterile.
    Andy_JS said:

OK Sound on.
    If you haven't a clue then you've never been to a football match and probably don't follow the sport.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    edited March 2023

DougSeal said:

By 47% to 34% the public do not think it is ever appropriate to compare government policy to actions by the Nazis

Yougov

That’s okay because it was the Government’s words, not actions, Lineker was so comparing. Which is why the public support him on this issue against the Tories, whose rhetoric has also been described as Nazi-like by Holocaust survivors. Who they also tried to ban as a result.
    So you think that Lineker has been equating the government's words to gas chambers and starvation ghettoes ?

Which would be even sillier of him than equating the government's words to the words of Hitler etc - assuming that Lineker has even read Mein Kampf etc, which I very much doubt.

The Jewish doctrine of Marxism rejects the aristocratic principle of Nature and replaces the eternal privilege of power and strength by the mass of numbers and their dead weight. Thus it denies the value of personality in man, contests the significance of nationality and race, and thereby withdraws from humanity the premise of its existence and its culture. As a foundation of the universe, this doctrine would bring about the end of any order intellectually conceivable to man. And as, in this greatest of all recognizable organisms, the result of an application of such a law could only be chaos, on earth it could only be destruction for the inhabitants of this planet.

If, with the help of his Marxist creed, the Jew is victorious over the other peoples of the world, his crown will be the funeral wreath of humanity and this planet will, as it did thousands of years ago, move through the ether devoid of men.

Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord [p. 60].

...To what an extent the whole existence of this people is based on a continuous lie is shown incomparably by the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, so infinitely hated by the Jews. They are based on a forgery, the Frankfurter Zeitung moans and screams once every week: the best proof that they are authentic... For once this book has become the common property of a people, the Jewish menace may be considered as broken

Here he stops at nothing, and in his vileness he becomes so gigantic that no one need be surprised if among our people the personification of the devil as the symbol of all evil assumes the living shape of the Jew.

I'm not up to date on what Sunak and Braverman's thoughts are on illegal immigrants but I suspect there's not much correlation with Hitler.
    It took me all of five minutes to google Hitler's thoughts about Jews, come to the conclusion that they bare no resemblance to government thoughts about illegal immigrants and then copy them into a comment here.

I'll also suggest that anyone spouting off about Nazi Germany is very likely publicising their ignorance about both the present and the past.
    For obvious reasons, I doubt Nazi Germany was a big target for inward migration, so we must imagine what their language about such migrants might have been. I'm also yet to see any quotations from Lineker, or any PBers supporting him, of the actual language from Braverman or other Ministers that that he finds redolent of 1930's Germany. So his comments seem essentially to be condemning the Government for language that he imagines them using, which he finds similar to language he imagines the Nazis using.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

It's no surprise that the public is in support of 'stopping the small boats'. I mean, even lefties like me think that it isn't good at all to have so many people crossing the sea in that way - there must be a better way. So yes, I want to stop the 'small boats'.

What's important is a) whether the policy introduced last week will actually work, and b) what does a sensible and humane asylum seeker/refugee policy look like?

Here's the problem:

Large parts of the world are either failed or unpleasant states.

These failed / unpleasant states have populations which are large and growing rapidly.

These populations also have views which aren't aligned to those of the western world.

But a significant part of the people with non-western views from failed / unpleasant states wish to move to the western world because the western world is richer than they can ever hope to be.

And if all these people are allowed to move to the western world then the western world will turn into a failed / unpleasant state.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    It’s a pretty good discussion of a bank run, for an AI that’s never seen a bank run before.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714

This was the day the culture war was lost.

Maybe it's just hardened attitudes on both sides.
  • Options
    RobD said:

carnforth said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm not qualified to comment. But I understand they had a huge influx of deposits in 2021 and so needed to invest them. They bought various interest-bearing instruments, planning to hold them to maturity. So any losses were not crystallised on the balance sheet. But then they needed to sell some. So the losses were crystallised (losses becuase interest rates went up so the instruments were worth less). So now they needed to raise money to shore up the balance sheet. This looked desparate, and the run started...
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,654
    Andy_JS said:

Yes, tech startups were struggling because of general macro economic conditions and inflation, and were withdrawing more cash than normal. SVB put out a bond issue to raise more cash: majorly undersubscribed. Then issued a notice to the market stating they need to raise more cash. Customers panic, run on the back, spreads to the UK subsidiary and we have classic bank insolvency.

SVP turns out to have had almost zero protective capital in the US. UK sub had more in line with regulatory requirement but when you get a run you get a run.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171

Sandpit said:

It’s a pretty good discussion of a bank run, for an AI that’s never seen a bank run before.

Well the AI bot was asked to explain it as for a five year old. That's what it's done.

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,544

It's no surprise that the public is in support of 'stopping the small boats'. I mean, even lefties like me think that it isn't good at all to have so many people crossing the sea in that way - there must be a better way. So yes, I want to stop the 'small boats'.

What's important is a) whether the policy introduced last week will actually work, and b) what does a sensible and humane asylum seeker/refugee policy look like?

Here's the problem:

These failed / unpleasant states have populations which are large and growing rapidly.

These populations also have views which aren't aligned to those of the western world.

But a significant part of the people with non-western views from failed / unpleasant states wish to move to the western world because the western world is richer than they can ever hope to be.

And if all these people are allowed to move to the western world then the western world will turn into a failed / unpleasant state.
    Nothing particularly new there. Has been the case all my long life. We used to deal with it much better.
  • Options
    Well I'm off to bed.
    It'll be less surreal tomorrow. Or not.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667
    carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm not qualified to comment. But I understand they had a huge influx of deposits in 2021 and so needed to invest them. They bought various interest-bearing instruments, planning to hold them to maturity. So any losses were not crystallised on the balance sheet. But then they needed to sell some. So the losses were crystallised (losses becuase interest rates went up so the instruments were worth less). So now they needed to raise money to shore up the balance sheet. This looked desparate, and the run started...
    Seems about right.
    This is a pretty good article describing it in some detail.
    https://www.netinterest.co/p/the-demise-of-silicon-valley-bank
  • Options
    25 years since Eminem met Dre.
    Feel old?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    GBnews had their own version of MOTD:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8WX6YL9JnLw
    (Go back to 10pm)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    TimS said:

DougSeal said:

Yougov

As a number of people have pointed out the current government’s language doesn’t bear much resemblance to 1930s Germany, it’s much more like 1930s Britain. To say we were lukewarm about receiving Jewish refugees from Germany that decade would be kind.
    Even as late as 1938 this was the Daily Mails position:

• Options
    carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

Andy_JS said:

Sorry, I was referring to the bit about mortgage backed securities. Sounds like a rehash of 2008, so it would be surprising.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172

DougSeal said:

Yougov

Hitler was the only one using language in Germany in the 1930s? Golly, he really was der Führer.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

Yougov

As a number of people have pointed out the current government’s language doesn’t bear much resemblance to 1930s Germany, it’s much more like 1930s Britain. To say we were lukewarm about receiving Jewish refugees from Germany that decade would be kind.

Would be better to see an editorial from the DM at the time. This article is mostly a factual report of things others have said and done. Except, of course, for "a problem to which the daily mail has repeatedly pointed" -- which implies campaigning on their part.
  • Options
    I support stopping the small boats.

But I don't support Rishi's useless policy to actually do it.

So I can see why the idea of stopping the boats is popular - but I am far less convinced the Government's approach to it is.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 647

Whomp whomp

Oh where is @Leon to tell us that Lineker is wrong, Wrighty is wrong, Shearer is wrong, and everyone who supports them is wrong?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,962

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Just looked in my old work email account. I’ve had invites to five law firm briefings about the SVB collapse sent today. That’s not a great sign!

Tempted to sell my financials when they open. They could drop sharply when the USA opens.
    I wouldn't. I've heard no panic at all amongst my contacts.

If there is one I will be buying on Monday.
    I think the market quite toppy at the moment. A lot of companies will be squeezed by the cost of borrowing. I moved last week to a more defensive position with more in cash. I am inclined to make that more defensive still on Monday.
    I refer the honourable gentleman to the comments I made yesterday about SVB.

Don't panic, I'm working on it [The SVB fallout]

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4330951/#Comment_4330951

Honestly if it wasn't for insider trading rules the fact Caesar's wife must be above suspicion I'd be buying lots of bank shares right now.

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4330959/#Comment_4330959

It’s true, though, that banks in the US are sitting on some very hefty unrealised losses on their HTM bonds. That’s not a problem if they have strong balance sheets, but I’d guess there are a number of regional banks anxious about their corporate depositors deciding their cash would be safer in govt bonds.

Other runs might not be impossible ?
    I think most of you know my job involves stress testing the financial institution I work for (and the wider industry.)

As worst case scenarios go this isn't in the top 20 and we can survive most of the scenarios.

I think a nuclear exchange in Ukraine and/or a Chinese invasion of Taiwan is what might bugger things up.
    Out of interest, you are a senior risk/analysis employee at your bank being a solicitor. I’m trying to work out which major bank is HQ’d in Manchester rather than London that has such senior people outside the metropolis these days - used to be Brown Shipley in the regions but really good surprise that banking is not overly centralised to London.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

DougSeal said:

Yougov

Or one could mention such jolly SA marching songs as “When Jewish blood spurts from the knife/then things go twice as well!”

Like you, I really haven’t heard anything similar from this government.

• Options

Here's the problem:

Nothing particularly new there. Has been the case all my long life. We used to deal with it much better.
    The problem is steadily growing as third world populations grow and the despair of living in a failed state for generation after generation increases.

Its easy to see why someone from Iraq or Afghanistan or Somalia wants to migrate to the western world.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,949
    dixiedean said:

25 years since Eminem met Dre.
    Feel old?

Not as old as I felt being behind some students who's conversation was along the lines of :

"You really need to listen to this!"
    :: plays some music on their phone ::
    "Whoah!"
    "I know!"
    "What's the band's name?!?!?!"
    "Dire Straits!!!"
  • Options

I support stopping the small boats.

But I don't support Rishi's useless policy to actually do it.

So I can see why the idea of stopping the boats is popular - but I am far less convinced the Government's approach to it is.

What's your approach? If the opposition had an alternative which looked more plausible, it would help...
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713

My wife who is very knowledgeable about the period did say that it was obvious to any proper student of history ((which she thinks everyone is, and never understands why Stacey her hairdresser can't explain the Prison Act 1835 in extreme detail)) that Lineker surely didn't mean what he typed. Surely Lineker had studied the period in question and she couldn't understand why Lineker would draw parallels between the two periods in time.

She briefly considered joining Twitter to quiz him on the subject - I did try (and fail) to explain to her that Lineker had not done any research at all on 1930s Germany and was just spouting off, but she refused to accept that he'd done less than a PHD on the period because of course no one would comment on the period otherwise.......

Anyway..............
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

Andy_JS said:

Seems about right.
    This is a pretty good article describing it in some detail.
    https://www.netinterest.co/p/the-demise-of-silicon-valley-bank
    Thanks for sharing, an interesting read.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

Yougov

Britain is of course not unique here. Rich countries that are a log way from the trouble people flee from have long taken an I’m alright Jack attitude to refugees.

Thing is, we all want to “stop the boats” because people making dangerous journeys on dinghies across the channel is a horrible thing. We just have different views on how to do so.

And that would be fine, but this government have decided to play base - and dangerous - playground politics with a serious issue, more interested in making political capital and creating traps for Labour than actually solving the problem. The fact they made up a branded podium and launched a series of ludicrous banner ads shows precisely how seriously they take the issue. It’s at a similar level of depth as “24 hours to save the NHS”.

It’s a shame. Sunak showed last week that he is capable, when he puts his mind to it, of formulating sensible policy on cross border issues. The shadow of Boris hangs too heavy still.
  • Options
    RobD said:

carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

Andy_JS said:

Sorry, I was referring to the bit about mortgage backed securities. Sounds like a rehash of 2008, so it would be surprising.
    "Banks need to do something with customer deposits and SVB decided to put the bulk of the money into bonds, mostly federal agency mortgage-backed securities. These carry minimal credit risk but can have sizable interest-rate risk.

SVB’s mistake was investing in longer-term mortgage securities with more than 10 years to maturity, rather than shorter-maturity Treasuries or mortgage issues maturing in less than five years. This led to an asset/liability mismatch."

So, not sub-prime mortgages pace 2008, but safe mortgages - just with valuations prone to interest rate changes.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251

DougSeal said:

Yougov

No suspension.

Why Richard
    I recall there was a fair amount of 'Germany 1930s' talk from Corbyn critics when the Labour antisemitism story was raging.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

Andy_JS said:

"Banks need to do something with customer deposits and SVB decided to put the bulk of the money into bonds, mostly federal agency mortgage-backed securities. These carry minimal credit risk but can have sizable interest-rate risk.

SVB’s mistake was investing in longer-term mortgage securities with more than 10 years to maturity, rather than shorter-maturity Treasuries or mortgage issues maturing in less than five years. This led to an asset/liability mismatch."

So, not sub-prime mortgages pace 2008, but safe mortgages - just with valuations prone to interest rate changes.
    Thanks. I had only read some superficial reporting on it. The link Nigel posted was very informative.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

DougSeal said:

Yougov

Surely yo could ave taken an other 30 seconds to record accurately what Lineker said?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    TimS said:

It’s a shame. Sunak showed last week that he is capable, when he puts his mind to it, of formulating sensible policy on cross border issues. The shadow of Boris hangs too heavy still.

If Tony Blair and Alastair Campbell were in Downing Street, what do you think their policy would be?
  • Options
  • Options
    carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

RobD said:

carnforth said:

Andy_JS said:

None of that would have mattered had depositors not started pulling out unexpectedly large amounts of cash in the last few weeks. So I would say the mortgage back securities investments weakened the balance sheet and caused the solvency problem, but the liquidity trigger was cash withdrawals.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

DougSeal said:

Yougov

Hitler was the only one using language in Germany in the 1930s? Golly, he really was der Führer.
    Reminder of what Lineker actually said:

There is no huge influx. We take far fewer refugees than other major European countries. This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s, and I’m out of order?

And here's a thread that supports Lineker's assertion.

https://twitter.com/TanjaBueltmann/status/1633445311103262721?s=20

Note that Lineker did not mention the Nazis, Hitler or the Holocaust, or say the government is acting like the Nazis. He simply said there are similarities in the language used by the government and that used in 1930s Germany.

Some will think that he's wrong but he's entitled to his opinion.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DougSeal said:

Yougov

Or one could mention such jolly SA marching songs as “When Jewish blood spurts from the knife/then things go twice as well!”

Lineker's thought process might have been:

1) I don't like the government
    2) I am good therefore the government is bad
    3) The government is bad therefore the government are Nazis
    4) The Nazis murdered Jews therefore the government must want to do something similar
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,233

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...
    3. Support sports correspondents promoting their own politics on their own personal channels;

You are hinting that the poll is incompatible with your reality. It may be, although:

2. Is a deliberate misinformed analysis of what Lineker wrote.
    4. I would like to stop the boats too, but for different reasons to Braverman.

• Options
    TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, tech startups were struggling because of general macro economic conditions and inflation, and were withdrawing more cash than normal. SVB put out a bond issue to raise more cash: majorly undersubscribed. Then issued a notice to the market stating they need to raise more cash. Customers panic, run on the back, spreads to the UK subsidiary and we have classic bank insolvency.

SVP turns out to have had almost zero protective capital in the US. UK sub had more in line with regulatory requirement but when you get a run you get a run.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Roger said:

DougSeal said:

Yougov

Surely yo could ave taken an other 30 seconds to record accurately what Lineker said?
    Any Oscar thoughts?

I think Everything Everywhere All At Once nailed on for best film and Director.

I though Babylon might be worth a punt for best costume.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/dinosofos/status/1634689700404314114

Why does everything GB News do, turn out like this?
  • Options
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667

Sean_F said:

DougSeal said:

Yougov

Lineker's thought process might have been:

1) I don't like the government
    2) I am good therefore the government is bad
    3) The government is bad therefore the government are Nazis
    4) The Nazis murdered Jews therefore the government must want to do something similar
    And yours, what’s the worst construction I can put on Lineker’s behaviour if I completely ignore what he actually said, and engage in some fact free mind reading ?
  • Options

TimS said:

If Tony Blair and Alastair Campbell were in Downing Street, what do you think their policy would be?
    As a Lib Dem member, I fear it would have been excessively authoritarian too. The language would probably have been a couple of notches down the scale.

It’s sad that very few of our politicians are able to take a properly internationalist view of intractable issues like migration and refugee movements. That so few politicians are able to start from the perspective of compassion and work from there. Most European countries are no better, so it’s not really the fault of the British tabloids. It’s human / ape nature - in-group and out-group. Suspicion of the outsider, particularly if they arrive by unorthodox means.

Lineker has been very consistent on this issue and has put his money where his mouth is.
  • Options

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...

You are hinting that the poll is incompatible with your reality. It may be, although:

2. Is a deliberate misinformed analysis of what Lineker wrote.
    4. I would like to stop the boats too, but for different reasons to Braverman.

surely not, it has to be the poll which is the most positive for the Tories, duh Pete!!!
  • Options
    Once again, here is Gary's actual Tweet:

• Options

Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 45% (-2)
    CON: 29% (=)
    LDM: 10% (+2)
    REF: 4% (-1)
    SNP: 3% (=)
    GRN: 3% (=)

Via @Survation, On 2-3 March,
    Changes w/ 10-16 February.

The Rishi boat bounce continues

That poll was taken before the announcement of the boat bill
    ...and before the Lineker debacle.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Yougov

There is no huge influx. We take far fewer refugees than other major European countries. This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s, and I’m out of order?

Note that Lineker did not mention the Nazis, Hitler or the Holocaust, or say the government is acting like the Nazis. He simply said there are similarities in the language used.

Attempting to suggest that a Germany 1930s reference doesn't allude to Hitler and his gang is beyond feeble.

Of course Lineker could always clarify his comment by saying he was actually referring to the German communist party or Field Marshal Hindenberg.

But he wasn't was he.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...

I did comment earlier that that seems to be an accurate analysis of public opinion
    With the exception of the stopping the boats bit which I didn't comment on, that is pretty much exactly what I said last night. Everyone is wrong.

The Government for their specific recent policy announcements regarding the boat people.
    Lineker for comparing these policies to the Nazis
    The BBC for punishing Lineker for making this comparison.

However we can now add some people who are right.

All those people who have spoken up and refused to back the BBC in their idiotic actions. Including all those refusing to appear today - some of whom are, quite possibly, putting their careers on the line over this.

• Options
    edited March 2023

Wrong too, the fans did chant the old Gary Lineker song several times.

The bit on MOTD was the Leicester Fans enquiring of Wesley Fofana why he was such a c**t. I wouldn't have thought that would normally get past the editor.
  • Options

The first statement is disputable as there has been a huge increase in irregular arrivals over the Channel in the past few years.
  • Options
    This was the head of the CNBC Investing Club yesterday:

"Jim Cramer
    @jimcramer

Watch SIVB common. It is climbing despite endless bear raids....

12:18 PM · Mar 10, 2023
    ·363.5K Views"

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/1634166854091456514
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

This was the head of the CNBC Investing Club yesterday:

"Jim Cramer
    @jimcramer

Watch SIVB common. It is climbing despite endless bear raids....

12:18 PM · Mar 10, 2023
    ·363.5K Views"

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/1634166854091456514

Jim Cramer ROFL. It is ASTONISHING he still has a job despite being wrong so, so, so many times
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

Yougov

No suspension.

Why Richard
    I recall there was a fair amount of 'Germany 1930s' talk from Corbyn critics when the Labour antisemitism story was raging.
    Not to mention ‘Soviet Union 1922-1955’ chat.
  • Options
    Well we've all had a pleasant evening with Dusty on BBC2. "I only want to be with you on now". **** Lineker, **** MoTD.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 647

Was that an actual GBNews sports item? It seemed.... spoofy?
  • Options
    That is simply brilliant!
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713

Here's the problem:

I very much agree with your analysis. To my mind, the population in a failed/unpleasant state have two options.

The first is to do exactly what you have described, namely to leave said failed state and try and get to a better place to live.
    As you correctly say however, if they ALL did this, and ALL succeeded then yes, the western countries they were coming to would themselves turn into failed states due to (even if nothing else) there simply being far too many people in these countries and the local infrastructure not being able to cope anymore.

The second path, which is far harder to get people to do, is for the local people in the failed state to think, "You know what? I'm sick to death of living in a shit hole. But rather than move, I'll try and make our country a better place to live. Reduce corruption, introduce democracy, and start proper improvement programmes in our country."

In theory, if everyone who wanted to leave instead decided to do the second, I certainly think they'd be in with a shout of succeeding. Unfortunately for them:
    1. The local rulers don't want them to succeed and are quite prepared to use force of arms to stop any changes being made.
    2. Organising this by the local people is going to be virtually impossible.
    3. I strongly suspect that the western world itself quite likes these places to be shit holes as it makes it easier to exploit them for resources anyway (and therefore, they'll support the local warlords/rulers in the guise of 'state aid' which said rulers immediately spend on themselves/building their army up).

Am I terribly far off the mark?
  • Options

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...

With the exception of the stopping the boats bit which I didn't comment on, that is pretty much exactly what I said last night. Everyone is wrong.

The Government for their specific recent policy announcements regarding the boat people.

All those people who have spoken up and refused to back the BBC in their idiotic actions. Including all those refusing to appear today - some of whom are, quite possibly, putting their careers on the line over this.

Except Lineker did not compare these policies to the Nazis. He compared the language used to that of Germany in the 1930s.
  • Options

Was that an actual GBNews sports item? It seemed.... spoofy?
    No it really was.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The first statement is disputable as there has been a huge increase in irregular arrivals over the Channel in the past few years.
    Oh behave Rob, you are splitting hairs. Anyway the naughty bit is what comes next, although it isn't naughty at all.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Yougov

Note that Lineker did not mention the Nazis, Hitler or the Holocaust, or say the government is acting like the Nazis. He simply said there are similarities in the language used.

Attempting to suggest that a Germany 1930s reference doesn't allude to Hitler and his gang is beyond feeble.

Of course Lineker could always clarify his comment by saying he was actually referring to the German communist party or Field Marshal Hindenberg.

But he wasn't was he.
    Now all Lineker had to do was say something like:

"This is an issue I feel strongly about and which I think the government has the wrong policy. Now because I feel so passionately on this issue I didn't take the care I should have in my choice of words. So I will now take the opportunity to withdraw the reference to 30s Germany as, of course, I do not think the government are Nazis. But I will restate my opposition to the government's policy on this issue."

And he comes out all morally superior and untouchable.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Yougov

Note that Lineker did not mention the Nazis, Hitler or the Holocaust, or say the government is acting like the Nazis. He simply said there are similarities in the language used by the government and that used in 1930s Germany.

He doesn’t say used in Germany but used by Germany, so he was clearly talking about the Nazi government.
  • Options

Here's the problem:

I very much agree with your analysis. To my mind, the population in a failed/unpleasant state have two options.

The first is to do exactly what you have described, namely to leave said failed state and try and get to a better place to live.
    As you correctly say however, if they ALL did this, and ALL succeeded then yes, the western countries they were coming to would themselves turn into failed states due to (even if nothing else) there simply being far too many people in these countries and the local infrastructure not being able to cope anymore.

The second path, which is far harder to get people to do, is for the local people in the failed state to think, "You know what? I'm sick to death of living in a shit hole. But rather than move, I'll try and make our country a better place to live. Reduce corruption, introduce democracy, and start proper improvement programmes in our country."

In theory, if everyone who wanted to leave instead decided to do the second, I certainly think they'd be in with a shout of succeeding. Unfortunately for them:
    1. The local rulers don't want them to succeed and are quite prepared to use force of arms to stop any changes being made.
    2. Organising this by the local people is going to be virtually impossible.
    3. I strongly suspect that the western world itself quite likes these places to be shit holes as it makes it easier to exploit them for resources anyway (and therefore, they'll support the local warlords/rulers in the guise of 'state aid' which said rulers immediately spend on themselves/building their army up).

Am I terribly far off the mark?
    3 is very close to the truth. It is the essence of the neo-colonialist mentality.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Here's the problem:

The problem is steadily growing as third world populations grow and the despair of living in a failed state for generation after generation increases.

Its easy to see why someone from Iraq or Afghanistan or Somalia wants to migrate to the western world.
    They are called the Global South for some reason (which seems a bit harsh on Australia and New Zealand and maybe Chile). And everybody knows that all their problems are because of European colonialism and the slave trade, which is obviously which they are so desperate to move to our racist and failing societies.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...

Except Lineker did not compare these policies to the Nazis. He compared the language used to that of Germany in the 1930s.
    Yes, but you are never going to convince people on the Internet by using facts!
    Well they have the facts they just want to believe the Tories are good.

There's an overlap between those who think Lineker was wrong and those that support the Tories. They like cancel culture when they shut down opinions they don't like.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    How did they remove it from his brain in the first place?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Yougov

But he wasn't was he.

"This is an issue I feel strongly about and which I think the government has the wrong policy. Now because I feel so passionately on this issue I didn't take the care I should have in my choice of words. So I will now take the opportunity to withdraw the reference to 30s Germany as, of course, I do not think the government are Nazis. But I will restate my opposition to the government's policy on this issue."

I don't think he's going to roll back like that. A lot of people have been very keen to say how he was absolutely right, and with that behind you it's not easy to pull back even a little.
  • Options
    The next few decades will see demographic ageing and decline on an unprecedented scale in about 3/4 of the world. The western countries that embrace immigration (or get it anyway, like the USA) will be the ones that survive.

The UK is one of the most open and welcoming societies for migrants on the world. It really is, all the surveys say so. Our population will continue relatively dynamic while many others in more mono-ethnic states stagnate.

So we have a lot going for us. I don’t for a moment believe the country is a racist hellhole. But we have a government that’s decided its best chance of squeezing a few percentage points in the polls is to go all in on culture war, and that is dangerous and irresponsible.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    "Silicon Valley Bank chief pressed Congress to weaken risk regulations
    CEO Greg Becker personally led the bank’s half-million-dollar push to reduce scrutiny of his institution – and lawmakers obliged"

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/11/silicon-valley-bank-weaken-risk-regulations-svb
  • Options
    @Roger

Are you doing your Oscars analysis or have you walked out in solidarity with Lineker?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Yougov

But he wasn't was he.

But what's the point of him doing that? He's still breaking the BBC's rule, so still banned by them.

(I can see it might be a route to allow the BBC to climb down gracefully however, so it might not be a bad suggestion.)
  • Options
    TimS said:

The next few decades will see demographic ageing and decline on an unprecedented scale in about 3/4 of the world. The western countries that embrace immigration (or get it anyway, like the USA) will be the ones that survive.

The UK is one of the most open and welcoming societies for migrants on the world. It really is, all the surveys say so. Our population will continue relatively dynamic while many others in more mono-ethnic states stagnate.

So we have a lot going for us. I don’t for a moment believe the country is a racist hellhole. But we have a government that’s decided its best chance of squeezing a few percentage points in the polls is to go all in on culture war, and that is dangerous and irresponsible.

Stagnation and not surviving are very different outcomes.

Right now the country in Europe with the most consistently strong economic growth is Poland and they don’t exactly adopt the approach you recommend.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...

Not sure that's that big of a distinction to be honest. 'An immeasurably cruel policy' as he put it (and many would agree), directed at the most vulnerable, in language akin to that of 1930s, that is Nazi, Germany.

I mean, he compared the government to Nazis whether he explicitly said the policy was Nazi like or if he said the language used was Nazi like.

I think it fails the 'would X be defended if Y said it?' test. "You are talking about your incredibly cruel policy in language a Nazi would use" might not technically be saying the policy is Naziesque, but its not as though no Nazi comparison has been made.

Much as people are right that if Lineker had praised the policy he would likely not have been punished, I think it is a bit ridiculous to claim by technicality he was not being pretty clear about Nazi comparisons.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Here's the problem:

This has been the case for a long time, if not always. The question is why is the problem worse now. I think the internet, social media and smartphones are probably one of the main reasons, because when you can see in perfect sound and picture what life is like in western countries it's a lot different to just watching it occasionally on a grainy film in a cinema or on an old TV where you can hardly make anything out, which is what people in undeveloped countries would have seen until about 10/15 years ago.
    It’s also because people in poor countries are getting richer so can afford to pay people smugglers. Poor people stay where they are by poverty. Rich people stay where they are by choice.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    Carnyx said:

Slightly surprised it's being taken that seriously by anyone. It's a monastic cesspit lid from local stone as shown by petrological work, not the Lia Fail of mediaeval desciption.

I know it's from Wikipedia, but there are some compelling arguments that it actually is the genuine article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westminster_Stone_theory

"The Westminster Stone theory is not accepted by many historians, or those responsible for the care of the Stone. There are many strong arguments against the theory.

If Edward I did not remove the true stone, yet claimed to have done so, the Scots' easiest refutation of his claims would be to produce the True Stone. However, there is no record of them doing so.
    Hiding the stone might have been a sensible precaution while the English remained a threat, but it was never produced once the threat was removed.
    Despite its importance as a symbol of Kingship, the stone was not used for subsequent coronations, which it surely would have if still in Scottish possession.
    Legends and theories abound, but no proof has been found to indicate there is another stone.
    If there was warning enough of Edward's intention to remove the Stone, why were the other regalia, documents and Black Rood not hidden also?
    A number of English knights attended the coronation of King John of Scotland only a few years earlier, and would have seen the true stone, but none of them told Edward that his stone was a fake.
    On studying the Stone in 1996, after its return to Scotland, nine periods of workmanship were identified on the Stone's faces, as well as recognisable erosion between the features, which proves it is an ancient artefact.[8]
    Edward had followers from the Scottish nobility who would also have been able to verify the stone's authenticity."

• Options
    kle4 said:

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...

Not sure that's that big of a distinction to be honest. 'An immeasurably cruel policy' as he put it (and many would agree), directed at the most vulnerable, in language akin to that of 1930s, that is Nazi, Germany.

I mean, he compared the government to Nazis whether he explicitly said the policy was Nazi like or if he said the language used was Nazi like.

I think it fails the 'would X be defended if Y said it?' test. "You are talking about your incredibly cruel policy in language a Nazi would use" might not technically be saying the policy is Naziesque, but its not as though no Nazi comparison has been made.
    Most people know that if you're going to draw a Nazi analogy you'd better be sure. A little bit sort of like the Nazis doesn't really cut it.
  • Options

Been out most of day

Just seen BBC interviewer: "If Gary Lineker had said to Suella Braverman, 'I support your migrant policy. I back it. It is brilliant.' Would you have removed him from air for that?"

BBC Director General Tim Davie: "I'm not going to get into hypotheticals..."

Killer Question well done BBC interviewer

Not so fast. That smart f*****'s P45 is in the post as we speak.
  • Options

Been out most of day

Just seen BBC interviewer: "If Gary Lineker had said to Suella Braverman, 'I support your migrant policy. I back it. It is brilliant.' Would you have removed him from air for that?"

As someone speculated earlier, it might be fun if a prominent figure sincerely did tweet that out of solidarity (being clear they are indeed sincere), so they too can be punished (though of course repeat offending might not be in play).
  • Options

TimS said:

Right now the country in Europe with the most consistently strong economic growth is Poland and they don’t exactly adopt the approach you recommend.
    They’ve taken on more Ukrainian refugees than any other country.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

An emergency, rather than a policy though.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880

Been out most of day

Not so fast. That smart f*****'s P45 is in the post as we speak.
    Naomi Iqbal suspended

Not really
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...

Which politician of 1930s Germany do you think Lineker was alluding to? Since Hitler became chancellor in January 1933 do you think he meant Hindenburg?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...

Much as people are right that if Lineker had praised the policy he would likely not have been punished, I think it is a bit ridiculous to claim by technicality he was not being pretty clear about Nazi comparisons.
    Disagree. The Nazi crimes did not start with concentration camps, they started with dehumanising people and limiting their legal rights. It's the latter that the language used in this week's immigration announcement has similarity with.

The point is made well in this thread.

• Options
    carnforth said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

An emergency, rather than a policy though.
    That’s how refugee policy is supposed to work. People flee war and persecution, and other countries welcome them.

But I think you’d be hard pressed to say Polish economic success is down to having a tight migration policy. Look at the GDP stats for the last few years and - Ireland aside - all the top performers are in Central Europe. Why? Because they are going through their long overdue economic transition and catching up with Western Europe, thanks to joining the EU. Even dysfunctional Hungary is up there along with Estonia, Slovakia and others.

But once they get there they face the same problem as the rest of us, same as Japan and Korea, same as China, sane - but for migration - as the USA. A declining economically active population and growing economically dependent elderly population. I don’t think the world’s economists have caught up with the demographers on this yet.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,612

DougSeal said:

Yougov

But he wasn't was he.

Now all Lineker had to do was say . . . exactly what he wanted to say, and DID actually say, as opposed to the bumpf YOU keep fantasizing he should have said . . . and managed in the process, to provoke the British Freaking Government into committing a total unnecessary and counterproductive OWN GOAL.

Deviously clever stratagem: light a match . . . then wait for HMG to try extinguishing it with a bucket of rocket fuel . . .
  • Options

Whomp whomp

Most Britons...

Which politician of 1930s Germany do you think Lineker was alluding to? Since Hitler became chancellor in January 1933 do you think he meant Hindenburg?
    I don't think he was alluding to any politician. He was rightly stating the the language used had similarities with that used in Germany in the 1930s.

It's the government that should be deeply embarrassed about that, not Lineker.
This discussion has been closed.