Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

SNP leadership – latest betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,747

Do have to howl with laughter at the HS2 fiasco. What they have just announced:

1 OOC to Euston delayed, Heartlands delta to Handsacre (WCML) delayed
    2 Which leaves Birmingham Curzon Street to London OOC as the initial phase
    3 OOC Interchange isn't designed to operate as a terminus, either from a trains or passenger perspective. As its already under construction it will need to be redesigned
    4 The Elizabeth line cannot cope with HS2 traffic dumped onto it, which will mean a restriction on the number of HS2 trains run
    5 Infrastructure was designed for 240mph, already announced a max speed of 225mph, but energy costs soar exponentially at the top end. With the need to cap capacity watch them opt initially for a slower train. Think 140mph EMUs like on HS1

A line from Birmingham No Connection to London Do Not Alight Here. With a small number of services trundling 100mph slower than the vastly over-specced infrastructure can cope with.

Global Britain at its finest. Bravo, Tories, Bravo.

It is so bad there needs to be a public inquiry and maybe prosecutions. But I do not believe Labour have the cullions to do that, they are knee deep in this river of shit, as well

And WTAF are they now going to do with Euston? They’ve chopped down all the trees and dug up half of NW1 and there is an enormous big hole in the ground waiting for a railway which will, now, never arrive

What do they do with it? Sell it all off for flats? Leave it to rot?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572

Is Scottish politics undergoing a major shift?

➡️Labour seen more favourably (+10) than SNP (-1)
    ➡️SCon vote holding up in polls
    ➡️SNP vote dropping to 39% (-6)(GE)
    ➡️ScotGov performance net negative on all voter priorities
    ➡️Starmer has positive approval among 2019 SNP voters

https://twitter.com/deanmthomson/status/1633834095917797379

That is HYUFD level straw clutching. At the next GE the SNP are going to smash Starmer Labour out of the park.
    Well, at least we know it’s going to be “Starmer Labour”!

Who will be leading the SNP?

On a more serious note, in Scotland it’s Sarwar Labour.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

Chris said:

Not sure if this has been done yet, but this week's YouGov poll was published by The Times Red Box this morning:
    Labour 45 (-2)
    Tory 23 (-2)
    LibDem 10 (-)
    Greens 7 (+1)
    Reform 7 (+2)
    SNP 4 (-)
    No polling dates were provided, but the previous week's (referenced in brackets) was 28th February and 1st March, so it's likely this one was conducted on Tuesday and Wednesday. If so, no Tory small boat bounce as yet.

Maybe a small boat bounce for Farage. Wouldn't that be funny?
    Funny, but not that crazy.

Braverman's announcement reminds us all that there is still a small boat problem. And since her solution doesn't involve sharks with laser beams being released in the Channel, it's insufficiently red meat for the hardcore ten percent who are into that sort of thing.
    The small boats are good for the Cons because it puts Migration & Strong Borders on the political agenda and this is a strong issue for the Right electorally.

The small boats are bad for the Cons because they've been long in government and despite the rhetoric are not solving the problem.

It's a matter of which of these is more true. I'd hope the second one but I'm really not sure.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571

Leon said:

Is Suella Braverman to the left of the public on asylum and migration?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11839153/Luxury-spa-hotel-closed-guests-used-house-250-asylum-seekers.html

A luxury spa hotel in a rural Leicestershire village has closed to guests and cancelled existing bookings so it can provide accommodation for 250 asylum seekers.

The Best Western Premier Yew Lodge Hotel in Kegworth - which includes a Marco Pierre White New York Italian restaurant - stopped taking reservations two weeks ago after bosses signed an 'exclusive use contract' with the Home Office to house refugees.

Mother-of-two Elisabeth Shepherd, 53, said locals were given 'no notice' about their arrival, and said that people were 'frightened, including myself'.

She said: 'A lot of the villagers use the resources at the hotel such as the gym, pool and restaurant and now we've haven't got anything here to use and will have to turn elsewhere for these facilities.

'People found out about the asylum seekers moving into the hotel because their gym memberships were instantly cancelled.'

In what fucking universe is a Best Western a luxury hotel?
    You’re wrong. Best Western is a weird franchise, it’s generally mid mid market - good quality 3 stars - but it can vary wildly. And some properties are definitely in the luxe bracket, if not quite Claridges

Here’s a 5 star Best Western in Vietnam. Not a great booking.com rating but most Brits would call it luxury, for sure

https://www.booking.com/Share-y0MY5G

I’ve stayed in a Best Western in Naples which has THE best view of the Bay - one of the most famous views in the world
    I’m staying in Claridge’s for three nights this summer.

I’ll do a review of the Best Western in Kegworth afterwards.
    Hope work on the mega-basement will have finished by then....

(Last time I stayed in Claridges I was with Terence Stamp, Angelica Huston and Lauren Becall. Just to annoy malcy....)
    That's an impressive foursome. Didn't know Claridges put up with that sort of thing?
  • Options
    Driver said:

ping said:

Looking like hs2 is going to end up as a very expensive railway from Birmingham/Solihull to Ealing and probably not much more.

We wouldn’t have bothered with it at all, had that been the plan ~15 years ago, would we?

It’s a failure of our politics.

A failure of 'our politics' or of Tory government?
    Given that it's exactly the same failures as Crossrail and Thameslink 2000, it's not a party political problem.
    Its both. Whilst we have proven over decades that this country is shit at infrastructure projects, there has to be blame for the people in office for the specifics. Every project has its own specific fuckwittery on top of the general incompetence and HS2 has it in spades. Since the original 2009 proposal we have seen an explosion in costs as all kinds of absurd factors are loaded onto the contractors. Hard to look past the DfT and the Treasury and the Tory MPs who have relentlessly campaigned against this.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I presume we’ve done this?

EXCLUSIVE POLL: Kate Forbes is in the lead as the public’s choice to replace Nicola Sturgeon as first minister of Scotland - with Humza Yousaf and Forbes neck-and-neck among SNP voters.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1633778510056521730?s=20

Any word on Members not voters?
    Yousaf 31%, Forbes 25%, Regan 11% with SNP members. So Regan's preferences still key as to whether the SNP get Liz Forbes or Rishi Yousaf
    https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2023/03/win-snp-leadership-election
    That’s a week old poll. Perhaps SNP members pay attention to what voters think…
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Chris said:

Not sure if this has been done yet, but this week's YouGov poll was published by The Times Red Box this morning:
    Labour 45 (-2)
    Tory 23 (-2)
    LibDem 10 (-)
    Greens 7 (+1)
    Reform 7 (+2)
    SNP 4 (-)
    No polling dates were provided, but the previous week's (referenced in brackets) was 28th February and 1st March, so it's likely this one was conducted on Tuesday and Wednesday. If so, no Tory small boat bounce as yet.

Maybe a small boat bounce for Farage. Wouldn't that be funny?
    Funny, but not that crazy.

Braverman's announcement reminds us all that there is still a small boat problem. And since her solution doesn't involve sharks with laser beams being released in the Channel, it's insufficiently red meat for the hardcore ten percent who are into that sort of thing.
    The small boats are good for the Cons because it puts Migration & Strong Borders on the political agenda and this is a strong issue for the Right electorally.

The small boats are bad for the Cons because they've been long in government and despite the rhetoric are not solving the problem.

It's a matter of which of these is more true. I'd hope the second one but I'm really not sure.
    it’s the second. I wish they had the backbone to actually sort the boats, but they don’t. It’s the second, and their spineless mendacity will soon be exposed. No one believes them. They are FUCKED
  • Options
    Driver said:

ping said:

Looking like hs2 is going to end up as a very expensive railway from Birmingham/Solihull to Ealing and probably not much more.

We wouldn’t have bothered with it at all, had that been the plan ~15 years ago, would we?

Given that it's exactly the same failures as Crossrail and Thameslink 2000, it's not a party political problem.
    And Heathrow.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

State pension, minimum wage and benefits all up 10% under this government
    Which is why I won't be voting for them.

Benefits up, taxes up, pay for those who don't work up, pay for those who do work down.

If that's the Tories idea of Government, we might as well have Labour in office.
    Yes, bring back the Workhouse, as a true classical Liberal you no doubt would have approved, it was after all the Whigs in the 19th century who brought in the workhouses to replace the previous system of poor relief not the Tories.

In reality those on minimum wage are also getting a 10% rise along with those on benefits and the state pension ie the poorest in society and even then only in line with inflation
    The people in the workhouse didn't have the vote.

Their modern successors do. And they are old enough to vote Tory.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,155

That is HYUFD level straw clutching. At the next GE the SNP are going to smash Starmer Labour out of the park.
    All this hatred towards SKS because he's not dumb enough to say he'll immediately overturn Brexit once in No10 and give the Tories a lifeline.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    kjh said:

Leon said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11839153/Luxury-spa-hotel-closed-guests-used-house-250-asylum-seekers.html

A luxury spa hotel in a rural Leicestershire village has closed to guests and cancelled existing bookings so it can provide accommodation for 250 asylum seekers.

The Best Western Premier Yew Lodge Hotel in Kegworth - which includes a Marco Pierre White New York Italian restaurant - stopped taking reservations two weeks ago after bosses signed an 'exclusive use contract' with the Home Office to house refugees.

Mother-of-two Elisabeth Shepherd, 53, said locals were given 'no notice' about their arrival, and said that people were 'frightened, including myself'.

She said: 'A lot of the villagers use the resources at the hotel such as the gym, pool and restaurant and now we've haven't got anything here to use and will have to turn elsewhere for these facilities.

'People found out about the asylum seekers moving into the hotel because their gym memberships were instantly cancelled.'

You’re wrong. Best Western is a weird franchise, it’s generally mid mid market - good quality 3 stars - but it can vary wildly. And some properties are definitely in the luxe bracket, if not quite Claridges

Here’s a 5 star Best Western in Vietnam. Not a great booking.com rating but most Brits would call it luxury, for sure

I’ve stayed in a Best Western in Naples which has THE best view of the Bay - one of the most famous views in the world

(Last time I stayed in Claridges I was with Terence Stamp, Angelica Huston and Lauren Becall. Just to annoy malcy....)
    That's an impressive foursome. Didn't know Claridges put up with that sort of thing?
    Only for me...
  • Options
    Leon said:

3 OOC Interchange isn't designed to operate as a terminus, either from a trains or passenger perspective. As its already under construction it will need to be redesigned
    4 The Elizabeth line cannot cope with HS2 traffic dumped onto it, which will mean a restriction on the number of HS2 trains run
    5 Infrastructure was designed for 240mph, already announced a max speed of 225mph, but energy costs soar exponentially at the top end. With the need to cap capacity watch them opt initially for a slower train. Think 140mph EMUs like on HS1

A line from Birmingham No Connection to London Do Not Alight Here. With a small number of services trundling 100mph slower than the vastly over-specced infrastructure can cope with.

It is so bad there needs to be a public inquiry and maybe prosecutions. But I do not believe Labour have the cullions to do that, they are knee deep in this river of shit, as well

And WTAF are they now going to do with Euston? They’ve chopped down all the trees and dug up half of NW1 and there is an enormous big hole in the ground waiting for a railway which will, now, never arrive

Rot. London had bomb sites for decades after the war awaiting redevelopment. That ugly scar through Camden will now sit there as protected development land. Can't be made pretty as £cost. Can't be completed as £cost. Can't be sold off because one say there will be lemon-soaked paper napkins.

Sorry Leon, your government have catastrofucked your local environment and now expect you vote for them in thanks.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043

Hang on a minute. You started it, "Starmer has positive approval among 2019 SNP voters".
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Driver said:

ping said:

And Heathrow.
    It’s much worse than any of those. This is epochal, and it affects all of the country
  • Options

kle4 said:

EXCLUSIVE POLL: Kate Forbes is in the lead as the public’s choice to replace Nicola Sturgeon as first minister of Scotland - with Humza Yousaf and Forbes neck-and-neck among SNP voters.

Members are notoriously difficult to poll, the nearest proxy is voters:

The race is too close to call between Yousaf and Forbes when looking at the views of SNP voters from the last Scottish Parliament election.

33% say that Humza Yousaf would make the best First Minister while 32% say the same of Kate Forbes. Ash Regan takes third place with 10%.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1633778782917087238?s=20

As a hypothesis, given SNP voters are more pro Humza than gen pop, it’s possible members are more pro-Humzah too - especially given the weight of the SNP machine being thrown behind him.

Edit - a poll a week ago suggests this is the case:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/23362228.first-poll-snp-members-puts-yousaf-narrowly-ahead-forbes/
    I'm still suspicious about that, as the sample can't be acCurate. Cui bono?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Yousaf 31%, Forbes 25%, Regan 11% with SNP members. So Regan's preferences still key as to whether the SNP get Liz Forbes or Rishi Yousaf
    And they will largely break for Forbes??
    Need to break heavily to get her over the line.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,354
    Leon said:

Presumably they can't do anything else with the land, in case the missing link gets built eventually. Maybe a nice car wash or something.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

... and of uncertain reliability.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,826

Driver said:

ping said:

Its both. Whilst we have proven over decades that this country is shit at infrastructure projects, there has to be blame for the people in office for the specifics. Every project has its own specific fuckwittery on top of the general incompetence and HS2 has it in spades. Since the original 2009 proposal we have seen an explosion in costs as all kinds of absurd factors are loaded onto the contractors. Hard to look past the DfT and the Treasury and the Tory MPs who have relentlessly campaigned against this.
    We used to be able to infrastructure just fine.....then we allowed civil servants to get involved and then it all went to shit because they can't resist meddling frankly is what I put it down to.....anecdote from being involved in more than one civil service inspired project where the original spec bid on was constantly tampered with even down to wanting changes on the day we were due to making a milestone release. We always got the impression it was down to people using the projects as various people using it as a proxy for internal manoeuvres rather than having any rational reason for the changes
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

Leon said:

At the price I'd have thought you'd have a room to yourself at the very least.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503

Driver said:

ping said:

To be fair most countries are shit at infrastructure. Look at the Berlin Airport, or the too big Spanish trains.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

dixiedean said:

Selebian said:

dixiedean said:

Selebian said:

malcolmg said:

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23373936.redfield-wilton-poll-needs-tightening-up-errors-expert-says/

"Redfield & Wilton Strategies – whose poll on Wednesday gave No a nine-point lead over Yes – was called out for consistently spelling both the Scottish Health Secretary and Scottish Secretary’s name wrongly, among other issues.

Pollster Mark McGeoghegan said the firm also failed to include a Yes/No crossbreak in the tables. This would normally allow a glimpse into perceptions among people who voted for or against independence in 2014, but is missing from the Redfield & Wilton polling.

McGeoghegan further criticised the listing of the term “transgenderism” as a political issue. He said that such loaded language should not be used in polling."

Dunno who Mr McG is, myself, I must admit

All becomes clear.

Mark McGeoghegan | My Journey from #NoToYes.

Mark is a pollster and strategic communications researcher in Glasgow. He voted No in 2014, but since 2016 has been a member of the Scottish National Party and campaigner for Scottish independence.

Interesting the Nat Onal didn't find time to mention his extracurricular activities when explaining his credentials, but I'm glad to learn that spelling 'Alister' 'Alistair' creates a nine point lead for 'No'. Mind you, I can see why Mr McG is so concerned about spelling when he's got a name that sounds like someone plunging a sink.
    Racist today, are we? It's pronounced very easily, in fact.
    'Very easily'? I always thought it was more like 'McGeegan' :wink:
    Put this pointy hat on your head and go sit on the stool in the corner
    :disappointed: Ok, poor attempt at phonetic spelling from me, to be fair. It's more like "McGeoghegan", isn't it? :wink:

I do actually know a Scot with this surname - friend's husband; I'm assuming he pronounces it right and McGeegan doesn't quite capture it, to be sure (but is pretty much how she, English, says it)
    Knew a guy at Uni surnamed Geogehan.(no Mc).
    He pronounced it "Gaygun". But his family were Irish not Scots.
    Yep, that's probably closer to what I've heard, but with the 'gun' (or 'gan') bit quite short, no emphasis.

But if it's Irish (which does make sense when you think about it) then maybe his pronunciation is not authentic either.

ETA: Like this guy (who is in fact the guy we were originally discussing, probably, given he describes himself as a polling expert) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBNnf8LE7uw
    Yeah. That's pretty spot on his pronunciation of it.
    Is it? Without going all blue dress, gold dress, it sounded to me like the chap in the video had an extra syllable, more like "Mc gay again" said very quickly.
    My friend's pronunciation. Not the bloke in the video.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Leon said:

Rot. London had bomb sites for decades after the war awaiting redevelopment. That ugly scar through Camden will now sit there as protected development land. Can't be made pretty as £cost. Can't be completed as £cost. Can't be sold off because one say there will be lemon-soaked paper napkins.

Sorry Leon, your government have catastrofucked your local environment and now expect you vote for them in thanks.
    Lol

Luckily it’s not that close to me, but if I was down near Somers Town or whatever, I’d be starting a riot

This is also Starmer’s constituency. Presumably he will say something shortly, and have decisions to make when PM. His voters will not be happy if half of his constituency is literally a big gaping hole
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200

"Elizabeth line could be be extended into Essex and Kent under ambitious new proposals"

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/elizabeth-line-could-be-be-extended-into-essex-and-kent-under-ambitious-new-proposals/ar-AA18moYa?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=eb31db9121b34be99f472bdc17cdf715&ei=18
  • Options

Leon said:

Presumably they can't do anything else with the land, in case the missing link gets built eventually. Maybe a nice car wash or something.
    A giant transgender clinic and surgical centre would be another option.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Driver said:

ping said:

To be fair most countries are shit at infrastructure. Look at the Berlin Airport, or the too big Spanish trains.
    Also, this stuff is harder than it looks (most things are).

But the quibbling and cheese-paring, which always costs more in the end... That's a very British disease.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216
    Pagan2 said:

ping said:

Selebian said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64863448

I guess the govt will have to u-turn over whatsapp but if not I wonder if it may have an impact on turnout of younger voters.

If there's no Whatsapp, how will they even find out there's an election on? :open_mouth:

(Yes, I know - Whatsapp is probably only for old - over 30 - people, right?)
    Does anybody have a solution to the actual problem, though. All I hear is lofty principles and denial of the problem.

We can’t have the most sickening abuse content being openly - and securely - shared. We owe it to the victims to stop it, surely?

And we can’t have the government reading everyone’s private communications.

What is the solution?
    It is a solution that is worse that the problem tbh. The politicians have been told often enough that you put everyone at risk by weakening encryption however they, and the civil service have their eye on the holy grail....full data on everyone. Whats the betting that important people will get exemptions to have proper encryption
    There is no solution.

What we are seeing is clash of the legalistic mindset - “all information required must be available to the court at its request” with the laws of mathematics.

“ Well the laws of Australia prevail in Australia, I can assure you of that. The laws of mathematics are very commendable, but the only law that applies in Australia is the law of Australia,"

The politicians I have spoken to on this over the years simply do not accept that unbreakable end to end encryption is inevitable - this is across parties.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

Selebian said:

I guess the govt will have to u-turn over whatsapp but if not I wonder if it may have an impact on turnout of younger voters.

If there's no Whatsapp, how will they even find out there's an election on? :open_mouth:

Does anybody have a solution to the actual problem, though. All I hear is lofty principles and denial of the problem.

We can’t have the most sickening abuse content being openly - and securely - shared. We owe it to the victims to stop it, surely?

What is the solution?
    It is a solution that is worse that the problem tbh. The politicians have been told often enough that you put everyone at risk by weakening encryption however they, and the civil service have their eye on the holy grail....full data on everyone. Whats the betting that important people will get exemptions to have proper encryption
    There is no solution.

What we are seeing is clash of the legalistic mindset - “all information required must be available to the court at its request” with the laws of mathematics.

“ Well the laws of Australia prevail in Australia, I can assure you of that. The laws of mathematics are very commendable, but the only law that applies in Australia is the law of Australia,"

The politicians I have spoken to on this over the years simply do not accept that unbreakable end to end encryption is inevitable - this is across parties.
    Because politicians sadly think anything they don't understand must be easy and assume when people are saying it's not possible they must be lying because its what they would do
  • Options

Cookie said:

Leon said:

I once stayed in a Best Western in Bath, on expenses. It was very nice indeed, and far more upmarket than I would have stayed in were I paying for it myself. If not luxury, it caters for at worst the top 10% of society, probably the top 5%.
    Though I suspect Best Western Kegworth caters primarily for customers of East Midlands Airport.
    That type of hotel can play a surprisingly important role in the local community because people rely on the amenities.
    Stayed at a place in Cornwall. From talking to some people it turned out that a condition of building it was offering access to the pool and gun to locals at a reasonable rate. It was the only swimming pool (indoors) for miles.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954

All this hatred towards SKS because he's not dumb enough to say he'll immediately overturn Brexit once in No10 and give the Tories a lifeline.
    Are you saying those people saying SKS is being economical with the actualité over his real EU intentions are correct?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

... and of uncertain reliability.
    Yep - as I wrote, polls of members - of any party - are jolly difficult.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Foxy said:

Driver said:

ping said:

None of the Spanish trains were actually built. The error was in the designs and that was picked up before any manufacturing began.

• Options

Hang on a minute. You started it, "Starmer has positive approval among 2019 SNP voters".
    Against whose SNP?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited March 2023

Leon said:

Has been completed.

Recently JohnO and myself had lunch there.

Last time I stayed in Claridge's it led to a divorce, not mine.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Not to mention the 33% dk/would not say.
    Not sure what the standard turnout for party leader elections is. Anyone know what it was for the Trussterfuck?
  • Options
    Looking unlikely right now, but imagine we have a hung parliament where the SNP hold the balance of power. Kate Forbes is leader of the SNP, whose economic and social views suggest she would very likely be a Tory voter had she been born south of the border.
    Labour refuses to accede to her demands for indyref2, but Rishi actually approaches Forbes and says he'd agree to if the SNP propped him up.
    Is it possible at all she would say yes and prop the Tories up?
  • Options

Are you saying those people saying SKS is being economical with the actualité over his real EU intentions are correct?
    I don't think you can overturn Brexit in a single term. It needs to be demonstrably shown it's shit no matter who is running the show.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Alba getting more unpopular?

Favourability of Political Parties in Scotland:

LAB: +10% (+3)
    SNP: -1% (-13)
    LDM: -13% (-1)
    GRN: -17% (-6)
    CON: -34% (+4)
    REF: -34% (=)
    ALBA: -47% (-8)

Via @RedfieldWilton
    , On 2-5 March,
    Changes w/ 26-27 November 2022.

https://twitter.com/electpoliticsuk/status/1633532296920719361
  • Options

I don't think you can overturn Brexit in a single term. It needs to be demonstrably shown it's shit no matter who is running the show.
    1st term - alignment
    2nd term - increased agreements
    3rd term - rejoin
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

LEADERSHIP candidates Kate Forbes and Ash Regan both called out “serial hustings attendees” at Wednesday night's event.

The pair were joined by their other rival Humza Yousaf at Johnstone Town Hall as they bid to win the hearts of SNP members.

But they were both quick to point out that they recognised a few faces in the room from previous hustings, which sparked some backlash online with members struggling to secure seats at the eight in-person events.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23373968.watch-kate-forbes-ash-regan-call-serial-hustings-attendees/

Guaranteed all the insiders will have multiple tickets
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Via @RedfieldWilton
    , On 2-5 March,

Forbes does rather nick their platform.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Driver said:

ping said:

This is heading for £100bn

I can’t think of any equivalent calamity at home or abroad. And it is still a fucking great mess

It was never needed, it was always pointless, we are a small country geographically, we don’t need 250mph trains and if we need more capacity (do we???) build that some other way

Spend £10bn on the Northern Powerhouse, that DOES make sense

This government needs to be exterminated, not just defeated. Send them into Hell, for the rest of enduring time
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Berlin airport is open. And is fab. The Spanish trains haven't been built, and will have their design altered. Even the Spanish AVE network which saw completed earthworks and bridges but no tracks has now been completed.

Here? Even when Labour take office, the CBA for the Euston leg will say don't do it. Without Euston a connection to the WCML makes no sense as OOC can't cope. Its a joke.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

At the price I'd have thought you'd have a room to yourself at the very least.
    Mark, who would want to stay in that ponces dump, Give me a Best Western any day.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Via @RedfieldWilton
    , On 2-5 March,

But, but, but….

@Mexicanpete said:
    At the next GE the SNP are going to smash Starmer Labour out of the park.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol

Luckily it’s not that close to me, but if I was down near Somers Town or whatever, I’d be starting a riot

This is also Starmer’s constituency. Presumably he will say something shortly, and have decisions to make when PM. His voters will not be happy if half of his constituency is literally a big gaping hole
    Air rights are worth £lots. How about Starmer privatising the Euston link construction in exchange for allowing the developer to build endless blocks on top of it. Its going to take something like that. Because if you just look at OOC to Euston by itself you can't make the case for building it.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

Selebian said:

What is the solution?
    There is no solution.

Because politicians sadly think anything they don't understand must be easy and assume when people are saying it's not possible they must be lying because its what they would do
    More that there is a certain mindset.

I worked with a lawyer once. Who claimed

- that since testing can’t cover every possible branch of complex code, that all developers are incompetent
    - Accused me of insolence when I pointed out that a certain problem was actual The Travelling Salesman problem. And hence had no guaranteed perfect solution.

Essentially he thought that reality should do as it’s told.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937

Looking unlikely right now, but imagine we have a hung parliament where the SNP hold the balance of power. Kate Forbes is leader of the SNP, whose economic and social views suggest she would very likely be a Tory voter had she been born south of the border.
    Labour refuses to accede to her demands for indyref2, but Rishi actually approaches Forbes and says he'd agree to if the SNP propped him up.

She might but Forbes is more rightwing than Sunak so she increases the chances of a Labour majority or at least enough seats to just need the LDs for a majority not the SNP. She would likely lose seats to Scottish Labour but gain most of the remaining SCon seats
  • Options
    kle4 said:

1st term - alignment
    3rd term - rejoin
    The other important thing is "run things in a way that rejoin is a plausible option when we're ready to make that decision". Which will be about a decade from here.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Driver said:

ping said:

Berlin airport is open. And is fab. The Spanish trains haven't been built, and will have their design altered. Even the Spanish AVE network which saw completed earthworks and bridges but no tracks has now been completed.

Here? Even when Labour take office, the CBA for the Euston leg will say don't do it. Without Euston a connection to the WCML makes no sense as OOC can't cope. Its a joke.
    What are the chances Starmer kills it off completely?

He can say they will use the work done to increase present capacity. He can say they will recoup losses by selling land compulsorily purchased. He can say “I will build the Northern Power Line instead” and please his Red Wall

He can’t say NOTHING because that great big festering hole at Euston is literally his constituency. His office probably faces it
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

We used to be able to infrastructure just fine.....then we allowed civil servants to get involved and then it all went to shit because they can't resist meddling frankly is what I put it down to.....anecdote from being involved in more than one civil service inspired project where the original spec bid on was constantly tampered with even down to wanting changes on the day we were due to making a milestone release. We always got the impression it was down to people using the projects as various people using it as a proxy for internal manoeuvres rather than having any rational reason for the changes
    We've suffered from fuckwittery for ages. The number of part built ends randomly road schemes which are still randomly ended decades later. Rail upgrades done on the cheap to save money now that cost far more in remedial work later. The shithousery around Heathrow vs Fatwick vs Boris Island where nothing gets built. Road or metro schemes of any description in places like Leeds.

What makes this one so acutely funny is that now we are part way through the business case for it has *genuinely* changed thanks to Covid. A redesign / rethink is perfectly sensible, but instead we will end up with an unusable stub fit for nothing. All the cost and more besides, none of the benefits,
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Rejoin needs a whole lot more than people thinking the current situation is shit.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Driver said:

ping said:

We've suffered from fuckwittery for ages. The number of part built ends randomly road schemes which are still randomly ended decades later. Rail upgrades done on the cheap to save money now that cost far more in remedial work later. The shithousery around Heathrow vs Fatwick vs Boris Island where nothing gets built. Road or metro schemes of any description in places like Leeds.

What makes this one so acutely funny is that now we are part way through the business case for it has *genuinely* changed thanks to Covid. A redesign / rethink is perfectly sensible, but instead we will end up with an unusable stub fit for nothing. All the cost and more besides, none of the benefits,
    That’s why I wonder if Starmer will kill it
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

Selebian said:

What is the solution?
    There is no solution.

- that since testing can’t cover every possible branch of complex code, that all developers are incompetent
    - Accused me of insolence when I pointed out that a certain problem was actual The Travelling Salesman problem. And hence had no guaranteed perfect solution.

And most politicians are lawyers
  • Options

kle4 said:

Via @RedfieldWilton
    , On 2-5 March,

But, but, but….

@Mexicanpete said:
    Well they'll probably still have loads more seats than Labour in Scotland. But it pretty encouraging.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Labour 45 (-2)
    Tory 23 (-2)
    LibDem 10 (-)
    Greens 7 (+1)
    Reform 7 (+2)
    SNP 4 (-)

Anyone expecting a 'Small Boat Bounce' takes an even dimmer view of the Great British public than I do. Braverman looks and sounds like a souped up Patel. The most unpopular member of an unpopulat government. Are people really attracted to those who seem to enjoy pulling the wings off flies?
  • Options

kle4 said:

1st term - alignment
    3rd term - rejoin
    The other important thing is "run things in a way that rejoin is a plausible option when we're ready to make that decision". Which will be about a decade from here.
    The EU need to be sure whatever a SKS government asked for wouldn't get overturned five years later under, say, PM Kemi Badenoch. This basically rules out membership of the customs union or single market in Labour's first term. The EU have to be sure that even the Tory party was at least open minded about re-joining before it would feel safe enough to enter into accession talks with the UK.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Not sure what the standard turnout for party leader elections is. Anyone know what it was for the Trussterfuck?
    Hi TUD. Am I allowed to ask who you favour?

• Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Driver said:

ping said:

He can say they will use the work done to increase present capacity. He can say they will recoup losses by selling land compulsorily purchased. He can say “I will build the Northern Power Line instead” and please his Red Wall

He can’t say NOTHING because that great big festering hole at Euston is literally his constituency. His office probably faces it
    The business case has changed. Less business travel, more leisure travel. Despite anecdotage about empty trains the data shows that lack of capacity remains a problem, it's just that the types of flow and the timings are different. We also need to keep trying to transfer more and more freight off the roads which again is difficult because of capacity.

What I would do is hardball negotiation with the contractors. If we scrap the thing completely as you suggest then contractor consortia will end up losing a lot of cash. At the same time, what they are building isn't what we need.

So, pause the whole thing and:
    1. Reengineer to a slower top speed. 200mph not 240mph.
    2. Remove the contractual bullshit about how the contractor is responsible for a theoretical derailment in 2075. So much of the costs explosion has been from this. Build the infrastructure fit for purpose, not nuke-proof
    3. Tie in the faffy bits like the Euston leg into redevelopment - the infrastructure runs underneath, developers make £lots and thus charge less

And so on. And if the consortia object to the changing of their contracts, threaten them with scrapping the whole thing and not meeting our contractual obligations. They'll say "nobody will ever build infrastructure again" and perhaps they won't. So have BuildCo do it as the rest of Europe do.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

SNP would never take action that led to a Tory government.

Oh, wait... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_vote_of_no_confidence_in_the_Callaghan_ministry#Vote
  • Options

kle4 said:

Via @RedfieldWilton
    , On 2-5 March,

But, but, but….

@Mexicanpete said:
    I think folk are failing to get Mexicanpete’s particular brand of mordant schtick..
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

Selebian said:

What is the solution?
    There is no solution.

This piece from 2019 (pre GE) claims the number of lawyers is decreasing, though still high obviously. More political bag carriers and fewer legal people I guess, so not really an improvement.

There is a long and logical tradition of kinship between lawyers and the legislature: the houses of parliament have on occasion been led by lawyers (David Lloyd George, Tony Blair) and are regularly topped up with lawyers: the current cohort of MPs from the general election in 2017 has an 11% lawyer intake, the second largest group after business (14%) outside politics. Those MPs are well known to us: Geoffrey Cox QC, Chuka Umunna, Dominic Grieve QC, Lucy Frazer QC, Keir Starmer QC, Helen Grant and so on and on.

But this percentage is down on the steady 15% lawyer-parliamentarians that has been the norm ever since the 1970s.

https://www.legalcheek.com/2019/07/law-and-politics-is-the-romance-finally-over/

However, solicitors vs barristers have been increasing it seems

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7483/CBP-7483.pdf
  • Options
    Roger said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Hi TUD. Am I allowed to ask who you favour?

Not Regan is my one certainty so far.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Labour 45 (-2)
    Tory 23 (-2)
    LibDem 10 (-)
    Greens 7 (+1)
    Reform 7 (+2)
    SNP 4 (-)

Anyone expecting a 'Small Boat Bounce' takes an even dimmer view of the Great British public than I do. Braverman looks and sounds like a souped up Patel. The most unpopular member of an unpopulat government. Are people really attracted to those who seem to enjoy pulling the wings off flies?
    Seems 50% support Sunak on boats

Britain Elects

On banning migrants who come to the UK in small boats from ever re-entering the UK

Support: 50%
    Oppose: 36%

via
    @YouGov
  • Options

No. Nobody wiould trust the Tories after last time.
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Driver said:

ping said:

The business case has changed. Less business travel, more leisure travel. Despite anecdotage about empty trains the data shows that lack of capacity remains a problem, it's just that the types of flow and the timings are different. We also need to keep trying to transfer more and more freight off the roads which again is difficult because of capacity.

What I would do is hardball negotiation with the contractors. If we scrap the thing completely as you suggest then contractor consortia will end up losing a lot of cash. At the same time, what they are building isn't what we need.

So, pause the whole thing and:
    1. Reengineer to a slower top speed. 200mph not 240mph.
    2. Remove the contractual bullshit about how the contractor is responsible for a theoretical derailment in 2075. So much of the costs explosion has been from this. Build the infrastructure fit for purpose, not nuke-proof
    3. Tie in the faffy bits like the Euston leg into redevelopment - the infrastructure runs underneath, developers make £lots and thus charge less

And so on. And if the consortia object to the changing of their contracts, threaten them with scrapping the whole thing and not meeting our contractual obligations. They'll say "nobody will ever build infrastructure again" and perhaps they won't. So have BuildCo do it as the rest of Europe do.
    Interesting. Starmer will have to say something and soon. He’s got angry Camden voters to answer, directly
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Carnyx said:

Resulting in more ammunition for the "the SNP don't actually want another referendum" crowd...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Yousaf now has 46 SNP MSPs and MPs backing him to just 12 for Forbes. Currently he seems to have a plurality of SNP members backing him but not a majority. So if Forbes did get a shock win thanks to Regan's preferences then the SNP would have the same problem the Tories had with Truss and IDS and Labour had with Corbyn.

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1633574730589515779?t=hx5if6iCvZaLQPCMeTSfRg&s=19

A party leader backed by the party's members but not its representatives in Parliament

Difference is that Ms Truss was not at all popular with the actual voters.
    That was never tested.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Evening all :)

YouGov are currently polling weekly for the Times - the last poll had fieldwork of 28 Feb - 1 Mar so it's probable this was Tuesday and yesterday.

It's a GB poll with a sample of round 2,000 and the sub-samples are always interesting though not to be taken too seriously.
  • Options

Oh, wait... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_vote_of_no_confidence_in_the_Callaghan_ministry#Vote
    Disappointing to see PBers still can't understand thje nature of causality, never mind the actual history of the time.

Even were Benpointer's interprtetation correct, you have to remember that Labour had massively reneged on thje referendum promise by counting the dead as No and imposing a minimum for Yes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

She might but Forbes is more rightwing than Sunak so she increases the chances of a Labour majority or at least enough seats to just need the LDs for a majority not the SNP. She would likely lose seats to Scottish Labour but gain most of the remaining SCon seats
    Is she a TORY even? Does she meet your criteria?
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,063

kle4 said:

1st term - alignment
    3rd term - rejoin
    The EU need to be sure whatever a SKS government asked for wouldn't get overturned five years later under, say, PM Kemi Badenoch. This basically rules out membership of the customs union or single market in Labour's first term. The EU have to be sure that even the Tory party was at least open minded about re-joining before it would feel safe enough to enter into accession talks with the UK.
    Does it really make sense for a SKS government to pull out of the CPTPP, likely signed by then, with a dozen countries for slightly more access to the EU? Especially if the new NI agreement shows regulatory divergence can work?
  • Options

Roger said:

Labour 45 (-2)
    Tory 23 (-2)
    LibDem 10 (-)
    Greens 7 (+1)
    Reform 7 (+2)
    SNP 4 (-)

Seems 50% support Sunak on boats

Britain Elects

On banning migrants who come to the UK in small boats from ever re-entering the UK

Support: 50%
    Oppose: 36%

via
    @YouGov
    I don't think many people deny that there is public support for doing very harsh things on this issue. It makes sense politically to try to go after that vote, even if overpromising could bite him severely in the arse. It's a question of whether it a) is lawful, b) reasonable, even as an extreme measure, c) would even work.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

No. Doesn't believe in the UK. I'd have thought it was a rather big hint.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129
    Driver said:

Rejoin needs a whole lot more than people thinking the current situation is shit.
    Indeed. It needs at least 10-15 years for relations between the EU and the UK to calm down and stabilise (far from a certain prospect in itself, given the potential for a further spat over Northern Ireland, the boat people problem, or any number of other things.) Then it needs a stable majority of something like 2:1 in public opinion for re-entry, in the knowledge that the UK would be almost certain to end up as a bigger net contributor to the EU budget than before, would have to accept FoM again and would also be expected to join the Euro. It also requires unequivocal backing from all the main political parties - which means that the tiny rump of elderly Tory members have an effective veto over the entire process.

I'm not saying that the UK will never go back, but it would be a major surprise if it happened this side of 2050.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Yousaf now has 46 SNP MSPs and MPs backing him to just 12 for Forbes. Currently he seems to have a plurality of SNP members backing him but not a majority. So if Forbes did get a shock win thanks to Regan's preferences then the SNP would have the same problem the Tories had with Truss and IDS and Labour had with Corbyn.

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1633574730589515779?t=hx5if6iCvZaLQPCMeTSfRg&s=19

A party leader backed by the party's members but not its representatives in Parliament

That was never tested.
    What on earth do you think the result would have been aftwer the Kamikwazi Budget?!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

'Cos that always works.

HS2 construction to be delayed to save money
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64901985

I expect the net economic benefits of HS2 in my lifetime to be nil. Or worse.

Just. Kill. It.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Seems to be as she has not said she wants a republic unlike Yousaf, she has also not said she would back disestablishing the Church of England nor back scrapping the remaining hereditary peers in the Lords.

Forbes is also more of a tax cutter than Rishi and Hunt it seems and more socially conservative, opposing homosexual marriage and abortion. She even opposes women priests. On those issues she is right of both me and Rishi
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

A Forbes led SNP would be the more rightwing element of a Sunak led minority government
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,227
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

A Forbes led SNP would be the more rightwing element of a Sunak led minority government
    I'm just looking forward to the Labour ads showing a tiny Sunak in Forbes's pocket
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

Selebian said:

What is the solution?
    There is no solution.

Was it you calling it "the travelling salesman problem" that caused an atmosphere?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

I'm just looking forward to the Labour ads showing a tiny Sunak in Forbes's pocket
    They won't have to mess about too much with the scales.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Disappointing to see PBers still can't understand thje nature of causality, never mind the actual history of the time.

Even were Benpointer's interprtetation correct, you have to remember that Labour had massively reneged on thje referendum promise by counting the dead as No and imposing a minimum for Yes.
    I was teasing. I don't actually blame the SNP for letting Thatcher in: There was going to have to be an election within 6 months anyway; it was not certain that the Tories would win; the Liberals (remember them?) also voted No Confidence.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,839
    This is brilliant: a 45 minute discussion on current affairs between Jon Stewart and Ian Hislop.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pbOiXmMnyw4

Well worth watching, even if you don’t agree with their perspectives.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

Selebian said:

What is the solution?
    There is no solution.

This piece from 2019 (pre GE) claims the number of lawyers is decreasing, though still high obviously. More political bag carriers and fewer legal people I guess, so not really an improvement.

There is a long and logical tradition of kinship between lawyers and the legislature: the houses of parliament have on occasion been led by lawyers (David Lloyd George, Tony Blair) and are regularly topped up with lawyers: the current cohort of MPs from the general election in 2017 has an 11% lawyer intake, the second largest group after business (14%) outside politics. Those MPs are well known to us: Geoffrey Cox QC, Chuka Umunna, Dominic Grieve QC, Lucy Frazer QC, Keir Starmer QC, Helen Grant and so on and on.

But this percentage is down on the steady 15% lawyer-parliamentarians that has been the norm ever since the 1970s.

https://www.legalcheek.com/2019/07/law-and-politics-is-the-romance-finally-over/

However, solicitors vs barristers have been increasing it seems

Exactly, there are more ex SPADs and political reserchers and councillors amongst MPs now than lawyers.

Less than 10% of newly elected MPs in 2019 were lawyers, over a third in all parties and over half in Labour and the SNP were councillors though. 9.3% of Tories and 9.5% of Labour and more than that of SNP and LDs were political researchers or SPADs.

25% of new Conservative MPs worked in Business to just 8% who were lawyers
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Don't be silly. Forbes might be a social conservative but her SNP MPs are not in the main.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

Carnyx said:

I was teasing. I don't actually blame the SNP for letting Thatcher in: There was going to have to be an election within 6 months anyway; it was not certain that the Tories would win; the Liberals (remember them?) also voted No Confidence.
    But the SNP knew that a Tory win was in their strategic interest and lured first the LibDems, and then Labour, into calling for election at precisely the worst time.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Don't be silly. Forbes might be a social conservative but her SNP MPs are not in the main.
    Assuming most of them don't defect to the Scottish Greens if she becomes leader, unlike the Tories there is no mechanism for MSPs or MPs to remove an SNP leader without members support
  • Options
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

I'm just looking forward to the Labour ads showing a tiny* Sunak in Forbes's pocket
    *a lifesize Sunak in Forbes's pocket
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

The Tories existed even before the Act of Union, that simply means she isn't a Conservative and Unionist
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

I can’t believe they cut down all the trees at Euston

They were the only things that made the bleakness tolerable. They did it to “move a taxi rank” for HS2

Now look at it

Compared to the magnificence of St. Pancras, or Liverpool Street, you have to ask yourself, who turned Euston into something less appealing than a gents’ toilet in rural Turkey?
    The station it replaced was kind of horrible too (from photographs and accounts I've read, never saw it IRL obvs). Certainly no St Pancras, or even Kings Cross. Even the much lamented arch was just your basic Victorian grandiosity. I don't mind Euston once you're inside. Piazzas don't really work here though, we lack the weather or light for it. Better to have big light internal spaces or a park.
    “Basic Victorian Grandiosity” is about seven trillion times better than the shite we have now
    Most of the residents of Britain's cities would happily swap their houses/flats for the most basic of Victorian grandiosity.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

That was never tested.
    She had a net approval rating of -70, which was worse than even Corbyn at the very nadir of his popularity. There is just no way back from that.
  • Options
    C4 news SNP leadership debate now
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

But apart from that pesky matter he sounds like a fan. Course he could be trolling slightly. This is not to be ruled out.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

That was never tested.
    What on earth do you think the result would have been aftwer the Kamikwazi Budget?!
    She couldn't cope with the easy questions Fraser Nelson and Katy Balls threw at her in the Spectator interview. God knows how she would have coped on the campaign trail during a GE.
  • Options
    I have to admit this thought occurred to me when someone suggested the Tories taking on David Attenborough next as being a stupid idea (which it very much would be), due to comments he's made about the industrial revolution - whilst he may have thought through the implications of that, I do think it has an image problem which doesn't consider the good points.

Err not sure these two things are the same. The first counts as pure environmental degradation, the second was costly but had the upside of by far the biggest increase in human welfare in history.

Unfair to pick on this otherwise interesting post but it's a mistake that comes up surprisingly often. What do people think life would be like if we hadn't burnt fossil fuels? Like it is now, just no climate crisis?

https://twitter.com/mrianleslie/status/1633845495595671552/photo/1
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

I can’t believe they cut down all the trees at Euston

They were the only things that made the bleakness tolerable. They did it to “move a taxi rank” for HS2

Now look at it

Compared to the magnificence of St. Pancras, or Liverpool Street, you have to ask yourself, who turned Euston into something less appealing than a gents’ toilet in rural Turkey?
    The station it replaced was kind of horrible too (from photographs and accounts I've read, never saw it IRL obvs). Certainly no St Pancras, or even Kings Cross. Even the much lamented arch was just your basic Victorian grandiosity. I don't mind Euston once you're inside. Piazzas don't really work here though, we lack the weather or light for it. Better to have big light internal spaces or a park.
    “Basic Victorian Grandiosity” is about seven trillion times better than the shite we have now
    Maybe. Having heard a lot about the Euston arch and being naturally inclined towards Victoria railway stations I was surprised when I first saw a picture of it, at how ugly it was. And people complained about how dark and dingy the original Euston was. I quite like the main concourse at Euston, but being an East Coast guy it's not a station I've used often, mostly for the sleeper.
    Nearly all of that “ugliness” was pollution, however. By the 1950s the Euston Arch had endured 110 years of London smog and soot and it had never been cleaned. Like the Parthenon but dipped in ash

Here it is in its original Doric glory. Beautiful

Just looks heavy and out of proportion to its surroundings to me. Nothing especially interesting or imaginative about it either. I'm not a huge fan of this kind of neoclassical stuff - St Paul's perhaps the exception. Doesn't seem a huge loss to London.
    Chacun a son gout but

1. You’re an idiot

And

2. You’re wrong

And

3. Look what they replaced it with
    In any case, those were built to look bloody permanent. Real fuck-you "we're here to stay" stuff. Like the Oxford Canal offices, only on a much larger scale. Confidence in the new company.

Not some local pub where you got the tickets over the bar, as in some of the early days of railways.
    Quite so. Euston Arch said “Wow you’re going on a journey, it might go all the way to the Highlands of Scotland, welcome on board!”

It is architecture as theatre, as something that adds to the drama and excitement of life, as well as being agreeable to look at. The modern Euston says, “oh FFS, I guess you’re here to take another shitty train? - whatever, it probably goes to Northampton, who cares”
    Have we found a town beginning with N you like less than you do Newent?
    Will somebody make the case for Northampton?

Andybody?

Have to admit, I couldn't make a case for stopping there, even an hour. Unless it was to slow your ultimate arrival in Corby.
    Northampton is a load of cobblers.
    It's a bit of a boot.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,063
    pigeon said:

Driver said:

Indeed. It needs at least 10-15 years for relations between the EU and the UK to calm down and stabilise (far from a certain prospect in itself, given the potential for a further spat over Northern Ireland, the boat people problem, or any number of other things.) Then it needs a stable majority of something like 2:1 in public opinion for re-entry, in the knowledge that the UK would be almost certain to end up as a bigger net contributor to the EU budget than before, would have to accept FoM again and would also be expected to join the Euro. It also requires unequivocal backing from all the main political parties - which means that the tiny rump of elderly Tory members have an effective veto over the entire process.

I'm not saying that the UK will never go back, but it would be a major surprise if it happened this side of 2050.
    At which point the EU will be a mighty 9% of world GDP.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

The Tories existed even before the Act of Union, that simply means she isn't a Conservative and Unionist
    Which Act of Union? Don't go too far back or you'll end up implying only Sinn Fein are the real Tories.
  • Options
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

There's another kind of Sunak?
This discussion has been closed.