Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Starmer gets the best Ipsos ratings – Truss the worst – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23340661.ash-regan-accepts-hustings-challenge-snp-leadership-race/

Ms Regan has accepted invite to hustings: now waiting on Ms Forbes and Mr Yousaf.

Is Miss REGAN...

VALUE?
    FPT

I wish I knew the distribution of length of membership in the SNP in relation to the old days up to indyref, the big jump after indyref and the slower change to pro-Green/leftie social identity stuff under Ms Sturgeon. I'd be in a much better position to judge that.
    Indeed. It's a hard one to call, but the reason I ask is that her campaign strategy seems to me to be a fairly straightforward one: avoid bigotry (Kate Forbidden) and incompetence (Humza Useless) and forge a moderate pro-Indy path.
    Also pro-economy, IIRC. A9 and so on. I am certainly not ruling her out: quite the opposite. Yet without knowing how many of the pre-2015 folk left ...

Anyway, 24 hours to go before noms close.
    “24 hours to go before noms close”

My take on it is it’s amazing to think new leader can be one of these three. Why did Nicola have to resign if opening Pandora’s Box is the outcome? SNP opponents are laughing their heads off one of these three as the new leader. So maybe the winner has’t declared yet. If Cherry enters for example, she wins.

Regan won’t win this. But she could get a good position from it and then sink or swim from what she does with this publicity and any cabinet Posts which come from this. And all that is dependent on the new leader ripping up Sturgeons position on trans rights, or so many promising talents stay outside the cabinet.

Kate should have won this by a country mile over Humza , but now it’s neck and neck between the two, very tight result. So even once it’s over, with such a split party it’s still not over.

The only certainty is currently betting markets haven’t a scooby Dooby cluesy what’s going on in this one.
    The skeletons in the cupboard were rattling too much for Sturgeon, soon they will have to explain where the 667K missing ringfenced money went. Many others are potentially in the offing , no referendum and country going down the toilet so best before the fuzz or the pitchforks turned up.
    Hard to imagine why Cherry is not in , though she may have been waiting to see which of the roasters the Murrells would put up. Macbeth decided he had to keep his head down , so out of the assorted dross Murrells have selected the Hapless Humza as their sockpuppet.
    Hard to believe Regan will not win it unless Cherry makes a last minute appearance or the voting is rigged.
    Isn’t MacBeth being advised by Three Crone Consultancy firm?
    Actually sorry, after an expensive contract with image consultants, they are now known as Crone Three Consultancy.
    One of your better ones 👍
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773
    Taz said:
    It’s all fake news, supermarkets just haven’t caught up with their logistics and there has been a massive lag in reorienting to reflect the new healthy diets that the great British Public have turned to.

You will notice there are no shortages of pies and microwaveable burgers or cheap pizzas, only good healthy salad and vegetables because everyone in Britain is eating three meals a day of healthy salad and vegetables, we are no longer the “rosbifs” we are the proud “lapins”.

Soon this will all show through in the NHS figures as obesity and heart disease plummet.
  • MikeL said:

In fact nine different polling companies have reported in the last week.

Every single one has Lab in the range 45 to 51 - ie 48 +/- 3.

So assume Lab is on 48.

But for Con the range is greater - 21 to 31.

PeoplePolling consistently has Con lower than anyone else - which then just leaves YouGov as a possible outlier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

The obvious outlier for the Tories is Savanta's 31%, surely? Aside from that all those polls have the Tories in the 21-28 range.
    HYUFD will use Savanta as the true source of truth, for this week at least.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23340661.ash-regan-accepts-hustings-challenge-snp-leadership-race/

Ms Regan has accepted invite to hustings: now waiting on Ms Forbes and Mr Yousaf.

Is Miss REGAN...

VALUE?
    FPT

I wish I knew the distribution of length of membership in the SNP in relation to the old days up to indyref, the big jump after indyref and the slower change to pro-Green/leftie social identity stuff under Ms Sturgeon. I'd be in a much better position to judge that.
    Indeed. It's a hard one to call, but the reason I ask is that her campaign strategy seems to me to be a fairly straightforward one: avoid bigotry (Kate Forbidden) and incompetence (Humza Useless) and forge a moderate pro-Indy path.
    Also pro-economy, IIRC. A9 and so on. I am certainly not ruling her out: quite the opposite. Yet without knowing how many of the pre-2015 folk left ...

My take on it is it’s amazing to think new leader can be one of these three. Why did Nicola have to resign if opening Pandora’s Box is the outcome? SNP opponents are laughing their heads off one of these three as the new leader. So maybe the winner has’t declared yet. If Cherry enters for example, she wins.

Regan won’t win this. But she could get a good position from it and then sink or swim from what she does with this publicity and any cabinet Posts which come from this. And all that is dependent on the new leader ripping up Sturgeons position on trans rights, or so many promising talents stay outside the cabinet.

Kate should have won this by a country mile over Humza , but now it’s neck and neck between the two, very tight result. So even once it’s over, with such a split party it’s still not over.

The only certainty is currently betting markets haven’t a scooby Dooby cluesy what’s going on in this one.
    The skeletons in the cupboard were rattling too much for Sturgeon, soon they will have to explain where the 667K missing ringfenced money went. Many others are potentially in the offing , no referendum and country going down the toilet so best before the fuzz or the pitchforks turned up.
    Hard to imagine why Cherry is not in , though she may have been waiting to see which of the roasters the Murrells would put up. Macbeth decided he had to keep his head down , so out of the assorted dross Murrells have selected the Hapless Humza as their sockpuppet.
    Hard to believe Regan will not win it unless Cherry makes a last minute appearance or the voting is rigged.
    Actually sorry, after an expensive contract with image consultants, they are now known as Crone Three Consultancy.
    I thought one had broken away to form Lone Crone Consultancy?
  • Taz said:
    Contrary to some of the reaction on social media, Brexit has a minimal role to play in the immediate shortage, according to experts.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,268
    Weird that the Great Brexit Tomato Famine is also hitting Germany

• DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Is Miss REGAN...

VALUE?
    FPT

I thought one had broken away to form Lone Crone Consultancy?
    Nice, worth an honourable mention 👍
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Driver said:

Driver said:

MikeL said:

In fact nine different polling companies have reported in the last week.

Every single one has Lab in the range 45 to 51 - ie 48 +/- 3.

So assume Lab is on 48.

But for Con the range is greater - 21 to 31.

PeoplePolling consistently has Con lower than anyone else - which then just leaves YouGov as a possible outlier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

The obvious outlier for the Tories is Savanta's 31%, surely? Aside from that all those polls have the Tories in the 21-28 range.
    The thing which really interest me is that of the nine firms, five have no track record at all of GB VI polling before the current parliament as far as I can tell.

The four to have had their methodologies tested by a general election are Savanta (31-45), Opinium (28-44) Deltapoll (28-50) and YouGov (22-50).

Now, perhaps the new firms are right and the established firms except YouGov are wrong. I'm not sure I'd be risking too much money based on it, though.
    The new firms figures are pretty much spread across the same range as the established pollsters though.
    Not really.

PP 21-48, R&W 24-51, Omnisis 25-48, Techne 27-48.

Which is the ninth firm? Wikipedia only lists these eight.
    The 9th firm is Kantar - see Wiki list which is up to date bar today's YouGov.

Note: The Wiki graph is very much not up to date - numerous polls still to be added.

• AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618

Leon said:

Americans are noticing that Britain seems to have food shortages.

https://twitter.com/umairh/status/1628807357542158336?s=46&t=SnetLk3SGA3w3YsMwRKJBQ

Life expectancy in the USA: 76.4 years

Life expectancy in the UK: 80.7 years
    Good hamburgers tho.
    Actually the burgers are better here

• pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited February 2023
    This government is on life support;

“Eating turnips could help ease vegetable shortage, suggests Therese Coffey”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64745258

Out of ideas. Jobs awarded not on the basis of skill or competence, but ideology, loyalty and/or pragmatic necessity.

They’ve lost the media, the public.

Smart people want nothing to do with the government, trust has evaporated and comms descend into farce.

Even when they have a reasonable point to make, they’re mocked.

They need to be put out of their misery.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047

Taz said:
    Actually this seems to broadly tally with Rochdale Pioneer’s view.

Navigating extra Brexit-imposed cost and bureaucracy of getting the fresh fruit and vegetables across the Channel is clearly proving too costly for some producers, which is why tomatoes are reaching supermarkets in France, Belgium or the Netherlands but not Britain.

TLDR, it’s not because Brexit, but it’s happening in the UK and not the rest of the EU (bar Ireland) because of Brexit.
    They should just bring some Albanians on board and ship them over with the tomatoes, bureaucracy avoided.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    edited February 2023
    ping said:

Out of ideas. Jobs awarded not on the basis of skill or competence, but ideology, loyalty and/or pragmatic necessity.

Smart people want nothing to do with the government, trust has evaporated and comms descend into farce.

What is wrong with British turnips? There is a war on in Europe, extreme weather in Spain and North Africa, we voted to leave the EU, we need to grow and eat more of our own food

Leon said:

Americans are noticing that Britain seems to have food shortages.

https://twitter.com/umairh/status/1628807357542158336?s=46&t=SnetLk3SGA3w3YsMwRKJBQ

Life expectancy in the USA: 76.4 years

Life expectancy in the UK: 80.7 years
    Good hamburgers tho.
    Actually the burgers are better here

I’ve actually eaten America’s best burger (2015). You’ll find it in Tupelo, Miss

It’s very very good

And on that positive note, night night PB
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,534
    The 28% who give the fat oaf a favourable rating should seek help .
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

What is wrong with British turnips? There is a war on in Europe, extreme weather in Spain and North Africa, we voted to leave the EU, we need to grow and eat more of our own food
    With respect, Hyufd, I think even you would have approached the comms of this in a more strategic manner.

*Don’t give them the quote*

Politics 101.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,534
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

You need farmers to do that who have been betrayed by this government! Many are going out of business .
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

What is wrong with British turnips? There is a war on ...
    I know "Dad's Army" is still popular after all these years, but I doubt that channelling Captain Mainwaring will be an election-winning strategy for the Tories.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

Yes we do and her suggestion, To eat product that is available, is fine.

It is only fairly recently we have fruit and veg as all year round products.

Still, it’s the messenger not the message that’s the issue.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,199
    Leon said:

Although the German news yesterday mentioned tomato and cucumber shortages in Britain but not Germany eg:

https://www.tagesschau.de/wirtschaft/gemuese-rationieren-grossbritannien-101.html

'In Deutschland drohen nach einer Umfrage der Nachrichtenagentur dpa bislang keine vergleichbaren Engpässe. Deutschlands größter Lebensmittelhändler Edeka betonte: "Wir können die Versorgung unserer Märkte mit ausreichenden Mengen weiterhin sicherstellen."'

Prices of cucumbers have gone up though.

HYUFD said:

ping said:

For older readers, Tom and Barbara Good endorse this message.
    For some reason the fourth season was always harder to get on DVD than the first 3.
    kamski said:

Leon said:

Although the German news yesterday mentioned tomato and cucumber shortages in Britain but not Germany eg:

https://www.tagesschau.de/wirtschaft/gemuese-rationieren-grossbritannien-101.html

'In Deutschland drohen nach einer Umfrage der Nachrichtenagentur dpa bislang keine vergleichbaren Engpässe. Deutschlands größter Lebensmittelhändler Edeka betonte: "Wir können die Versorgung unserer Märkte mit ausreichenden Mengen weiterhin sicherstellen."'

And Ireland

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Yes we do and her suggestion, To eat product that is available, is fine.

It is only fairly recently we have fruit and veg as all year round products.

Still, it’s the messenger not the message that’s the issue.
    It’s true that year round fruit and veg is relatively recent. Same with the iPhone, penicillin and colour television for that matter.

The active desire to actually de-industrialise as if it’s a virtue confounds me.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

Yer lucky to 'ave turnips. When I were a lad we 'ad to make do wi' daffodil bulbs 'n' braised dandelion roots.
    edited February 2023
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

I know "Dad's Army" is still popular after all these years, but I doubt that channelling Captain Mainwaring will be an election-winning strategy for the Tories.
    Starmer if he had any sense would do the same.

Drought and extreme weather and the Ukraine War and high inflation will likely still be with us even if Labour win. Plus Sir Keir has also promised to keep the UK out of the EU and EEA and respect the Brexit vote to win back the redwall
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

For older readers, Tom and Barbara Good endorse this message.
    For some reason the fourth season was always harder to get on DVD than the first 3.
    That’s the season where they introduce Margot’s cousin, Jar-jar Leadbetter, whose absurdly exaggerated Jamaican accent is no longer considered seemly viewing.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Drought and extreme weather and the Ukraine War will likely still be with us even if Labour win. Plus Sir Keir has also promised to keep the UK our of the EU and EEA and respect the Brexit vote to win back the redwall
    It's Coffey citing 'turnips' that's the problem, not the message itself. Not after the youth vote, then? I reckon most people under 40 have not eaten a turnip since they left the family home, and some won't even know what they are. To me, turnips are 1950s.

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Yer lucky to 'ave turnips. When I were a lad we 'ad to make do wi' daffodil bulbs 'n' braised dandelion roots.
    Braised? What, you could afford to cook them? Luxury....
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Tbh I don’t think anyone on PB comes out of an Ukraine war futurology/post mortem particularly well. Everyone got multiple things wrong. From those that said the war would never happen to those that said Russia would win quickly to those that said Russia would collapse from sanctions: all were wrong

Did anyone predict from the outset that there would be a massive war but it would end up a slow stagnant verdun-like meatgrinder with no winner, even after a year?

If that pb-er exists, chapeau. I don’t know if they do exist

Last year - in June or July - I said that Russia's ability to sustain offensive operations would come to an end at the end early in 2023, when they ran out of shells and young men to fling at Ukraine.

While I may be off by a couple of months, I think there's a Ukrainian counteroffensive in the offing, and - if it successful - then the war could end very quickly.
    Well you were right-ish about ammunition, and probably wrong about the young men. And there will almost certainly be an Ukraine offensive soon (if it hasn’t already started).
    How quickly the war end depends much of the pace of arms supplies from the west. Ukraine could retake a large amount of territory very quickly, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the war ends.

Btw I check a few of the threads from February last year, and the prevailing tone is uncertainty, rather than silly statement if what will happen.
    (Though there were a couple of its almost certain Ukraine will surrender predictions even after the initial attempt at the Kiev coup had failed.)

I stand by this one, though.
    Russia has warned Finland, Sweden of military consequences if they seek to join NATO.
    https://twitter.com/jasongroves1/status/1497222749252632583?s=21

How many more countries do they claim dominion over ?
    Putin is simply a megalomaniac nutter.
  • franklyn said:

For any PBer who is in Central London next Thursday (2nd March) I am doing a book signing for my new book 'The Man Who Turned Blue' at the Chris Beetles gallery, Ryder Street London SW1Y 6QB from 5.45 to 7.30.
    There is an exhibition there of a wonderful artist called Melissa Scott-Miller and a glass of fizz, all free.
    Do pop in if you are around as it would be good to put faces to usernames!

Shan't be there but have bought the book (or whatever you call the kindle version). I already have your earlier book, Lifeline. Good luck.

HYUFD said:

ping said:

We braised 'em on t'exhaust pipe of passing dust cart.
    edited February 2023
    Am on the subway. An elderly man in a suit and facemask is reading a newly bought Eric Ambler thriller, and the Japanese girl in a puffa next to me has some kind of fantasy/chick-lit book.

Another man seems to reading erotic fiction on his kindle app.

The BOOK is BACK.

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Sounds very cheffy.
    Were you brought up in a Michelin star restaurant ?
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

With respect, Hyufd, I think even you would have approached the comms of this in a more strategic manner.

Politics 101.
    I would have appeared in a field of turnips with a farmer and promised to champion 'the great and nutritious British turnip!'
    Labour are going with Great British Energy.

You are going with Great British Turnip.

Good luck.
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Drought and extreme weather and the Ukraine War and high inflation will likely still be with us even if Labour win. Plus Sir Keir has also promised to keep the UK out of the EU and EEA and respect the Brexit vote to win back the redwall
    Yes, but you’ve all been telling us just what his promises are worth… :smile:
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149

HYUFD said:

ping said:

We braised 'em on t'exhaust pipe of passing dust cart.
    Stanley Steam Wagon, surely.
    Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

And Ireland

How do you think they get there? Through the UK.
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Politics 101.
    I would have appeared in a field of turnips with a farmer and promised to champion 'the great and nutritious British turnip!'
    There's feck all nutrition in a turnip. You'd have to eat 10kg to get your recommended daily protein intake, and a similar amount for the recommended 2,000 kcal.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,199
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Tbh I don’t think anyone on PB comes out of an Ukraine war futurology/post mortem particularly well. Everyone got multiple things wrong. From those that said the war would never happen to those that said Russia would win quickly to those that said Russia would collapse from sanctions: all were wrong

Did anyone predict from the outset that there would be a massive war but it would end up a slow stagnant verdun-like meatgrinder with no winner, even after a year?

I predicted folk would develop amnesia over being a Putin fanboi
    I haven’t. Putin was absolutely right about Woke. He is ALSO a crazed autocratic maniac who should ideally fall out of a window
    You think Putin's Russia got it right on defending the rights of minorities.

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Politics 101.
    There's feck all nutrition in a turnip. You'd have to eat 10kg to get your recommended daily protein intake, and a similar amount for the recommended 2,000 kcal.
    It has lots of carbohydrate and vitamin C and is a great winter vegetable in a balanced diet

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Politics 101.
    HYUFD the nutrition expert.

The French still talk about the Rutabaga Diet, and the Germans the Turnip Winter, not without reason.

I posted a splendidly acid French comment on the idea of living off turnips below. But it's in French so perhaps passed some folk over.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Politics 101.
    It has lots of carbohydrate and vitamin C and is a great winter vegetable in a balanced diet
    Even more water and fibre. Remember that a lot of the carbohydrate content is indigestible fibre. And think about eating 10kg of that a day, which is what you need, as Benpointer explains. I know you don't believe in foreign weights and measures, but that is about 1 and a half stone. 15% of the body weight of a 10 stone person.
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Politics 101.
    Well the humble turnip has one fan

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jD2iYSKHHzo&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Politics 101.
    Well the humble turnip has one fan

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jD2iYSKHHzo&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE
    HYUFD has a cunning plan...
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Last year - in June or July - I said that Russia's ability to sustain offensive operations would come to an end at the end early in 2023, when they ran out of shells and young men to fling at Ukraine.

While I may be off by a couple of months, I think there's a Ukrainian counteroffensive in the offing, and - if it successful - then the war could end very quickly.
    Well you were right-ish about ammunition, and probably wrong about the young men. And there will almost certainly be an Ukraine offensive soon (if it hasn’t already started).
    How quickly the war end depends much of the pace of arms supplies from the west. Ukraine could retake a large amount of territory very quickly, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the war ends.

Btw I check a few of the threads from February last year, and the prevailing tone is uncertainty, rather than silly statement if what will happen.
    (Though there were a couple of its almost certain Ukraine will surrender predictions even after the initial attempt at the Kiev coup had failed.)

Russia has warned Finland, Sweden of military consequences if they seek to join NATO.

It does seem that Russia’s “big push” does not amount to much.

pm215 said:

ping said:

Ah, this must be the "carry on and hope that something will turnip" strategy...

Definitely one of the very best puns on PB.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Politics 101.
    I can see it now.
    HYUFD: President of the Turnip Marketing Board (Essex Branch).

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Drought and extreme weather and the Ukraine War will likely still be with us even if Labour win. Plus Sir Keir has also promised to keep the UK our of the EU and EEA and respect the Brexit vote to win back the redwall
    It's Coffey citing 'turnips' that's the problem, not the message itself. Not after the youth vote, then? I reckon most people under 40 have not eaten a turnip since they left the family home, and some won't even know what they are. To me, turnips are 1950s.
    2020s to Malky and me ... but yes, you have to know what to do with them, and what to eat with them.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    At least we can rebrand the "five a day" fruit and veg thing to five a week.

This message was endorsed by the UK Fruit and Veg Council.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Leon said:

Ireland too. https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0221/1357956-grocery-ireland/

Government minister on the news recently encouraging everyone to buy seasonal Irish produce, like kale. A bit of kale is okay, but the problem with kale as a plant is that it grows too well. If you have a couple of kale plants in your garden you will find that you have to eat kale almost all the time over the winter, when it's cold and wet and you don't want to be bothering with going in to the garden to cut more fresh leafy greens from your indefatigable plant. Kale is almost as bad as courgette in this regard. Quite how vegetable growers manage to con city shoppers in to actually paying for courgettes is a mystery. Anyone who has successfully grown one of the damned plants will quickly get tot he point of paying people to take the things away.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Politics 101.
    No, it's 5% carbohydrate, of which nearly half is indigestible fibre (bizarrely, probably its best quality).
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

I’m as sad as everyone about John Motson’s passing but lead story on the BBC website…? Really?

One of their own.
    Wasn’t he a film star in the 1970s? I’ve seen at least one sexy movie with him in.
    You're confusing him with Harry Carpenter, I think.
    Wow thank you! No, it’s not what I was thinking of. The one I was thinking of was about football.

But, looking up Harry Carpenter I found The Magic Christian Carpenter appeared on, a wacky 60s film I didn’t know about before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE2zTnOJ94I

I’m going to watch this later tonight. I love wacky 60s films. 🫡

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Politics 101.
    I can see it now.
    HYUFD: President of the Turnip Marketing Board (Essex Branch).
    Essex swede field, complete with poshoTory types hunting peasants:

https://www.artimage.org.uk/30379/alfred-munnings/shoot-in-a-swede-field--1901
  • pm215 said:

ping said:

Brexit would have planned out better if we could have persuaded the Swedes to join us.
  • HYUFD said:

ping said:

"What's wrong with turnips" says nobody who has ever eaten turnips.
  • Taz said:
    Contrary to some of the reaction on social media, Brexit has a minimal role to play in the immediate shortage, according to experts.
    Yet if you’d read a few paragraphs more:

‘Navigating extra Brexit-imposed cost and bureaucracy of getting the fresh fruit and vegetables across the Channel is clearly proving too costly for some producers, which is why tomatoes are reaching supermarkets in France, Belgium or the Netherlands but not Britain.’

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Politics 101.
    No, it's 5% carbohydrate, of which nearly half is indigestible fibre (bizarrely, probably its best quality).
    The rest is 95% DK.

pm215 said:

ping said:

Brexit would have planned out better if we could have persuaded the Swedes to join us.
    Brexit has thoroughly rutabuggered the UK.
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

And Ireland

How do you think they get there? Through the UK.
    Lots of new ferry routes direct from Ireland to the continent. An extra ferry is coming to the Rosslare - Cherbourg route this year, there's a completely new Rosslare - Dunkerque route, and there's also a ferry direct from Rosslare to northern Spain somewhere, which would bring Spanish salad vegetables direct tot Ireland, if there were any available, had the weather not been so bad in Spain.
  • Turnips are absolutely minging.

There's only ever been one good turnip in the history of humanity.

The turnip shaped like a thingy.

Turnips are like sprouts and parsnips. I think they’re only fit for livestock, but some people adore them.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    Evening all :)

I'm more of a swede man than turnips given the choice but I imagine having a British Conservative politician saying "let's all eat swedes" could be open to misinterpretation.

There's a point here - in the distant fog-addled vestiges of my memory, when I was a young Stodge and we used to tread carefully for fear of disturbing the local dragon when going to the shops, the fact was you didn't see the range of fruit and vegetables all year round we take for granted.

Indeed, one might argue importing strawberries from Spain or the Canaries is questionable given the environmental impact of cargo planes taking all this produce here, there and everywhere. Is the environmental degradation worth being able to enjoy strawberries in January? Clearly, the consumer is happy but is that the point?

There's also probably a point about supermarkets supporting British agriculture and market gardens as well.

Back to more interesting things and glancing at the Kantar data tables, the 65+ sub sample splits 41% Conservative, 36% Labour which is still a 21% swing to Labour from the Conservatives (Redfield & Wilton, with its higher headline Labour number, had the swing at 22%).

The swing among 2016 LEAVE voters is 24% by the way.

The one thing holding up the Conservative VI is the greater share of the 2019 vote staying loyal (in the mid 60s) which is much higher than Redfield & Wilton (47% if memory serves).

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Politics 101.
    Though the fibre has horrendous effects. The Parisians did not like being forced to live on turnip. The anti-Tory campaigners will have a field dat if they discover the wartime views of the Parisians, and the starvation winter of the Germans in the Great War.

Turnips are absolutely minging.

“This reminds me of our wedding night, Nathaniel”.

“Cold is God’s way of telling us to burn Catholics.”

How odd. We love white turnips in Chinese stir fries, and swedes in curries.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,089
    edited February 2023

Taz said:
    Yet if you’d read a few paragraphs more:

‘Navigating extra Brexit-imposed cost and bureaucracy of getting the fresh fruit and vegetables across the Channel is clearly proving too costly for some producers, which is why tomatoes are reaching supermarkets in France, Belgium or the Netherlands but not Britain.’
    In other words, last straw had minimal role in the breaking of camel's back.
    stodge said:

I'm more of a swede man than turnips given the choice but I imagine having a British Conservative politician saying "let's all eat swedes" could be open to misinterpretation.

There's a point here - in the distant fog-addled vestiges of my memory, when I was a young Stodge and we used to tread carefully for fear of disturbing the local dragon when going to the shops, the fact was you didn't see the range of fruit and vegetables all year round we take for granted.

Indeed, one might argue importing strawberries from Spain or the Canaries is questionable given the environmental impact of cargo planes taking all this produce here, there and everywhere. Is the environmental degradation worth being able to enjoy strawberries in January? Clearly, the consumer is happy but is that the point?

There's also probably a point about supermarkets supporting British agriculture and market gardens as well.

Back to more interesting things and glancing at the Kantar data tables, the 65+ sub sample splits 41% Conservative, 36% Labour which is still a 21% swing to Labour from the Conservatives (Redfield & Wilton, with its higher headline Labour number, had the swing at 22%).

The one thing holding up the Conservative VI is the greater share of the 2019 vote staying loyal (in the mid 60s) which is much higher than Redfield & Wilton (47% if memory serves).

I agree - and my memory is the same - but the capitalist market has decided that the populace will have tomatoes and tomatoes it will have AYR. But then, being sent back to the 1950s is what Brexit is all about.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    edited February 2023
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I disagree. Putin and Russia are all in. Russia will not be defeated like this, ie with total Ukrainian victory

OTOH I can’t see how Russia wins, either. I predict a long bloody stalemate that ends with a Korean style partition and an exhausted armistice
    I don't buy it: remember, the invasion is usually the easy part, and it's the occupation that kills you.

And Korea was North Koreans fighting for their country against foreign invaders.

The Russians do not have an endless supply of young men and artillery shells. Now, if the Chinese step up and start arming the Russians, that would change things. But right now, the Ukrainians are being resupplied by the West with ever better equipment, while the Russians are begging the North Koreans for artillery shells, and have seen a number of their best new units utterly destroyed.
    Carnyx said:

stodge said:

I agree - and my memory is the same - but the capitalist market has decided that the populace will have tomatoes and tomatoes it will have AYR. But then, being sent back to the 1950s is what
    Brexit is all about.
    Farm shops are the best place for fresh veg, in my experience.

• solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    You're all so fucking pessimistic. The Government banned vegetables!

If it plays its card right it will sweep the board of the under 12's vote.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    Sean_F said:

Turnips are like sprouts and parsnips. I think they’re only fit for livestock, but some people adore them.

Peoples tastebuds differ. Some find sproutsvery bitter, others less so. Personally like a good sprout, and adore roast parsnip. Turnips go well in a beef stew.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

Shamima Begum should be repatriated to the UK and tried here for whatever offences she is deemed to have committed.

imo she was a child when she went overseas and was then groomed which evidently had some degree of success.

Get her back, try her here and throw in some rehabilitation and counselling while you're at it.

Of course Shamima is one of those subjects that @Leon loves because he goes off on one and enjoys the outrage he hopes to provoke.

Shamima is a sad case. @Leon's response to her is also a sad case for that matter.

Shamima is an evil woman with no redeeming qualities, most of the country agrees with that statement.
    Ghislaine Maxwell fits that statement, yet the government has made no move to strip her of her British citizenship.
    She has French and USA citizenship to fall back on.
    They don't really need to though as she is going to be in a us prison for a long long time so its not needed....begum on the other hand would be proseletying down finsbury park mosque by now if we hadn't
    The locals are (rightly) prosecuting her for her crimes, so I don't think that's true.
  • Sean_F said:

Peoples tastebuds differ. Some find sproutsvery bitter, others less so. Personally like a good sprout, and adore roast parsnip. Turnips go well in a beef stew.
    I adore roast/glazed parsnips.
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I disagree. Putin and Russia are all in. Russia will not be defeated like this, ie with total Ukrainian victory

OTOH I can’t see how Russia wins, either. I predict a long bloody stalemate that ends with a Korean style partition and an exhausted armistice
    I don't buy it: remember, the invasion is usually the easy part, and it's the occupation that kills you.

And Korea was North Koreans fighting for their country against foreign invaders.

The Russians do not have an endless supply of young men and artillery shells. Now, if the Chinese step up and start arming the Russians, that would change things. But right now, the Ukrainians are being resupplied by the West with ever better equipment, while the Russians are
    begging the North Koreans for artillery shells, and have seen a number of their best new units utterly destroyed.
    These are not WWII tactics, they’re WWI tactics. They’re not just using penal battalions as cannon fodder but good units.

It’s on a par with matching the Imperial Guard into a swamp in 1916.

Sean_F said:

Yes. A beef stew stuffed full of tasty root vegetables is the sort of thing that makes life worth living during a long dreary winter.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Politics 101.
    High fibre, low calorie, and available?

I commend the turnip diet. Particularly for Tories.
  • Carnyx said:

stodge said:

I agree - and my memory is the same - but the capitalist market has decided that the populace will have tomatoes and tomatoes it will have AYR. But then, being sent back to the 1950s is what Brexit is all about.
    In the 1950s the winter famine would be relieved in April or May by the sudden appearance of tomatoes from Guernsey. Seems unlikely they'll be prepared to step into the breach this year at a week's notice, though.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    -7 net favourable seems pretty dismal for Keith given the circumstances if you ask me.

Sure he's going to win the next election and will be Prime Minister but he'll be plumbing the depths of unpopularity within a year IMO.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884

Sean_F said:

Yes. A beef stew stuffed full of tasty root vegetables is the sort of thing that makes life worth living during a long dreary winter.
    Nothing better at this time of the year. Sunday afternoon/evening, the stew filling the house with delicious aromas.
    This, by retired general Mark Hertling, the day after the invasion, has held up very well indeed.

https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1497035826139738125
    After one of my @CNN appearances, one of the anchors asked me off-air why I had confidence in Ukraine's army to push back agains the illegal Russian military onslaught.

I used a bit of "battlefield math" to explain my rationale. 1/16
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

I’m as sad as everyone about John Motson’s passing but lead story on the BBC website…? Really?

One of their own.
    Wasn’t he a film star in the 1970s? I’ve seen at least one sexy movie with him in.
    You're confusing him with Harry Carpenter, I think.
    Wow thank you! No, it’s not what I was thinking of. The one I was thinking of was about football.

But, looking up Harry Carpenter I found The Magic Christian Carpenter appeared on, a wacky 60s film I didn’t know about before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE2zTnOJ94I

I’m going to watch this later tonight. I love wacky 60s films. 🫡
    Have you seen "Daisies"? A classic...

https://player.bfi.org.uk/subscription/film/watch-daisies-1966-online
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I'll be a lot happier when this month is over. It's the anniversary of the invasion tomorrow, and Putin apparently likes symbolism. At the very least, I expect a missile barrage tomorrow. There's a chance the Russians have been reserving large amounts of material for a big push, and what we've seen over the last few weeks have just been expensive shaping operations. Or/and, some mischief in Transnistria / Moldova / Belarus.

Though I hope I'm wrong.

But the longer the Russians waging war in the manner they are, the greater the chance they tactically lose. They've already lost strategically: they've damaged their country massively, to an extent that will take decades to recover from. The only question now is whether Ukraine 'lose' as well...
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    Carnyx said:

stodge said:

I'd argue some consumers are right - the ones who choose or can afford to eat a diet with a wide range of fruit and vegetables. The problem, as we all know, for all the plentiful advice on here and elsewhere about how it's possible to have a fantastically healthy diet and spend 11p per week on food the truth is for many the take away and the processed microwave meal is the first choice no matter the cost or the long term health implications.

That's also about choice and freedom and expediency and a host of other things.
    edited February 2023
    GIN1138 said:

-7 net favourable seems pretty dismal for Keith given the circumstances if you ask me.

Sure he's going to win the next election and will be Prime Minister but he'll be plumbing the depths of unpopularity within a year IMO.

Question then is - where do the voters turn next?

Will they forgive the Tories so quickly? Seems doubtful

The Lib Dems then? People would have to notice them first. I suppose if the SNP do lose a lot of ground at the next GE, there's a bit of a chance the Lib Dems might come third in seats, and get paid a bit more attention.

The Greens? I suppose that if it's the left of Labour that gets disillusioned soonest, then the Greens might benefit.

The latest Nigel Farage ego vehicle? Conversely, if its voters to the right of Labour's centre of gravity who are most quickly disgruntled then I'm sure Farage would be delighted to step into the limelight, one last time, to lead the pitchfork-wielding mob.

What do you reckon?
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,631
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

Shamima Begum should be repatriated to the UK and tried here for whatever offences she is deemed to have committed.

imo she was a child when she went overseas and was then groomed which evidently had some degree of success.

Get her back, try her here and throw in some rehabilitation and counselling while you're at it.

Of course Shamima is one of those subjects that @Leon loves because he goes off on one and enjoys the outrage he hopes to provoke.

Shamima is a sad case. @Leon's response to her is also a sad case for that matter.

Shamima is an evil woman with no redeeming qualities, most of the country agrees with that statement.
    Ghislaine Maxwell fits that statement, yet the government has made no move to strip her of her British citizenship.
    She has French and USA citizenship to fall back on.
    They don't really need to though as she is going to be in a us prison for a long long time so its not needed....begum on the other hand would be proseletying down finsbury park mosque by now if we hadn't
    The locals are (rightly) prosecuting her for her crimes, so I don't think that's true.
    As far as last I heard they havent prosecuted her in syria yet and she is still in a camp. Good let them prosecute her
    Nigelb said:

This, by retired general Mark Hertling, the day after the invasion, has held up very well indeed.

After one of my @CNN appearances, one of the anchors asked me off-air why I had confidence in Ukraine's army to push back agains the illegal Russian military onslaught.

Very prescient.

IMHO, Russia could still have won had they focused on a couple of fronts with overwhelming force.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089

What about the nice turnip in the country?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    "Former British Prime Minister Boris #Johnson has announced his candidacy for the post of #NATO Secretary General, Sky News reported."

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1628818733404680192

If true, I guess that means he won't stand at the next GE?
    edited February 2023
    stodge said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

I'd argue some consumers are right - the ones who choose or can afford to eat a diet with a wide range of fruit and vegetables. The problem, as we all know, for all the plentiful advice on here and elsewhere about how it's possible to have a fantastically healthy diet and spend 11p per week on food the truth is for many the take away and the processed microwave meal is the first choice no matter the cost or the long term health implications.

That's also about choice and freedom and expediency and a host of other things.
    Indeed, and also practicality for some families.

Mrs C has just come in. She comments that she is wondering what will happen if/when the UK grown stuff such as onions and cabbages really does start to run out in the lean time around April/May. OIf course, there is frozewn and processed stuff, but ...

Edit. Just thinking the farmer has helpfully planted the field behind the house with neeps, for his sheep.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Politics 101.
    And Victory Gin is really a very palatable drink - particularly considering how long we've been at war with Eastasia.

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I'll be a lot happier when this month is over. It's the anniversary of the invasion tomorrow, and Putin apparently likes symbolism. At the very least, I expect a missile barrage tomorrow. There's a chance the Russians have been reserving large amounts of material for a big push, and what we've seen over the last few weeks have just been expensive shaping operations. Or/and, some mischief in Transnistria / Moldova / Belarus.

Though I hope I'm wrong.

But the longer the Russians waging war in the manner they are, the greater the chance they tactically lose. They've already lost strategically: they've damaged their country massively, to an extent that will take decades to recover from. The only question now is whether Ukraine 'lose' as well...
    It's a bit of a fool's errand to try and second-guess Putin's thinking, but it's impossible not to try. I've heard some speculation that the big push was launched before the anniversary in the hope that it would yield at least one gain that could be trumpeted as a major victory on the anniversary. They're getting closer to forcing the Ukrainians to retreat from Bakhmut, but it looks like that's going to be late for the anniversary tomorrow.

GIN1138 said:

Question then is - where do the voters turn next?

Will they forgive the Tories so quickly? Seems doubtful

The Lib Dems then? People would have to notice them first. I suppose if the SNP do lose a lot of ground at the next GE, there's a bit of a chance the Lib Dems might come third in seats, and get paid a bit more attention.

The Greens? I suppose that if it's the left of Labour that gets disillusioned soonest, then the Greens might benefit.

The latest Nigel Farage ego vehicle? Conversely, if its voters to the right of Labour's centre of gravity who are most quickly disgruntled then I'm sure Farage would be delighted to step into the limelight, one last time, to lead the pitchfork-wielding mob.

What do you reckon?
    I think a lot will depend on what the Conservatives do in Opposition.

I could actually see them getting back within one parliamentary term if they play their cards right but if they go spinning off into the Twlight Zone and elect their own version of Jezza (say John Redwood or JRM for example) then Labour could get two or even three terms despite their early unpopularity.

The thing with the next election is that, unlike say 1997, I think it'll leave everyone with something to play for in the 2028/2029 election but as always events dear boy events will be all important.

"Former British Prime Minister Boris #Johnson has announced his candidacy for the post of #NATO Secretary General, Sky News reported."

Ooo that would be good news for Rish if he can angle Boris into the job lol!

Ben Wallace must be fuming.
    edited February 2023
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Very prescient.

IMHO, Russia could still have won had they focused on a couple of fronts with overwhelming force.
    With hindsight, it’s reasonably clear that they could have taken a large slug of territory in the east, and held it, if Putin had limited his ambitions. Also if they’d done that, the impetus for western arms supplies would have been less, and the voices for compromise with the dictator, stronger.

But Putin wanted to take the whole country quickly, and wasted some of his better troops and equipment in the abortive attempt on Kyiv.

And I don’t think they could have ‘won’.
  • "Former British Prime Minister Boris #Johnson has announced his candidacy for the post of #NATO Secretary General, Sky News reported."

Ha ha ha ha ha. Not going to happen.
    More openly genocidal threats on prime time Russian TV: Russian MP and retired army general Andrei Gurulyov calls for the complete destruction of Kyiv, a city with a population of over three million
    https://twitter.com/Biz_Ukraine_Mag/status/1628511713938087938
This discussion has been closed.