Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How first past the post helped the SNP at GE2019 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    edited February 2023

BREAK: Constitution Secretary Angus Robertson NOT standing to succeed Nicola Sturgeon as Scotland’s First Minister.

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1627604739360804864?s=20

Who does that reasonably leave? Forbes Vs Yousaf?
    Robertson I suspect backs Forbes.

The SNP arguably then gets the most rightwing main party leader in the UK.

Forbes is anti abortion, a member of an anti homosexual marriage church and anti Sturgeon's gender recognition bill and reported in the weekend press to be ready to dump the deal Sturgeon did with the Greens to shift to a more low tax, pro business, low spend agenda
  • Options
    glw said:

Looking forward to Russia announcing just how much they really, really don't care that Biden is visiting Kyiv.

And it's not as if Putin didn't show how much he himself wished to go to Kyiv.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I hope somebody in The Kremlin has told the military that there should be no attacks on Kyiv today.

The probably just text the Russians with Putin's current coordinates.
  • Options

Joe Biden and Zelensky strolling round Kyiv as air raid sirens blast out 💪

https://twitter.com/chrisdyork/status/1627607312255881216?s=46&t=ZqaDazZXNczMAFl0Z7XawA

Gotta say thats a pretty bold and somewhat provocative move.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Also.

https://ukdaily.news/the-tory-grandees-stark-warning-to-boris-johnsons-allies-about-the-brexit-revolt-352883.html
    ...The row comes as a new query for The Independent found that a majority of the public believes Mr Johnson could step down as MP, while twice as many voters want him to remain silent than those who want him to say more on political matters.

The Savanta ComRes poll found that 44 per cent of voters would like to hear less from Mr Johnson, while just 21 per cent would like to hear more from him. About 54 per cent of the public think the former Tory PM should leave Parliament, while 36 per cent want him to remain an MP.

The same poll revealed even greater fatigue towards Liz Truss. About 55 percent of voters want to hear less from Liz Truss and 65 percent want her to step down as MP.

The Savanta ComRes survey of 2,201 adults was conducted between February 10th and 12th...

Do we really need a poll to tell us that most people want Johnson to stfu?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,330
    glw said:

I hope somebody in The Kremlin has told the military that there should be no attacks on Kyiv today.

The probably just text the Russians with Putin's current coordinates.
    Let's hope they have them correct, then.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,838
    edited February 2023
    I thought the famous story of George W turning up in Iraq, to celebrate Thankgiving with the troops in 2003, was quite the tale. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bushs-secret-mission-to-iraq/

There’s going to one hell of a story to tell, about how Biden just turned up in the middle of Kiev.

A lot of people will be way outside their comfort zone at the moment!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,109
    dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Data nearly 5 years old, but nevertheless a thought-provoking map:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

Good to see we now live in the 6th most pro monarchy constituency in the UK. So we are now living with the top 1% of UK monarchy supporters
    Might help explain why you think Francoism is the way forward.
    No, Spain was a republic under Franco.

He just agreed to restore constitutional monarchy before he died
    That’s completely wrong. Spain was from 1947 until 1975 a Kingdom without a king- similar to the way Horthy was Regent of the Kingdom of Hungary in the absence of a recognised monarch. On 26 July 1947, Spain was declared a kingdom, but no monarch was designated until 1969 Franco when made Juan Carlos of Bourbon his official heir-apparent. With the death of Franco on 20 November 1975, Juan Carlos became the King of Spain.
    Franco was head of state of Spain from 1936 to 1975.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Franco

So as I said Spain was a republic under Franco until the monarchy was restored in 1975.

You cannot have a Kingdom without a monarch of royal blood as head of state by definition

I can quote Wikipedia too, in fact I did in the post you reply to.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francoist_Spain

Franco declared the state a Kingdom in 1947. He was effectively Regent.

Your reply is intellectually shallow. Plenty of Kingdoms have kings without “royal blood” -

-England when William I (Norman Duke) took over;
    -Sweden when Bernadotte (French General) took over;
    -various Bonapartist kingdoms (brothers of French General)
    - the ancient Roman Kingdom the kings were elected by the Roman assemblies;
    - in Ireland succession was determined by an elective system based on patrilineal relationship known as tanistry;
    - the King of Bohemia was elected by the Estates of Lands of the Bohemian Crown;
    - The Holy Roman Empire was elective

I could go on…

Still, this is all wasted, because you’re never wrong are you?
    He could declare it but it was not a Kingdon, Franco had no royal blood and the King was not Head of State so he was not regent either. He was dictator.

William I had royal blood, he was Edward the Confessor's cousin once removed. The Holy Roman Emperors had royal blood, either Spanish or German.

The Roman and Bonapartist Emperors were more heads of Empires than Kings with royal blood.

The Kings of Bohemia were still hereditary
    Ok I'm now going to pontificate on something I know nothing about, but that doesn't stop many on PB.

How do you define Royal Blood? Because of the wonders of the power of two we are all descendents of Royals, multiple times over. Sadly most of us can't prove it, but it is still true.
    When you become King there’s some sort of mitochlorian empowers you with The Force. Or something.
    You jest.
    But isn't that basically what anointment is?
    Taking that to its logical extreme Charles isn’t King yet and Edward VIII never was. Nor are the European monarchs in countries where they don’t do anointment anymore. HYUFD says it’s all about “blood”.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

Good to see we now live in the 6th most pro monarchy constituency in the UK. So we are now living with the top 1% of UK monarchy supporters

That’s completely wrong. Spain was from 1947 until 1975 a Kingdom without a king- similar to the way Horthy was Regent of the Kingdom of Hungary in the absence of a recognised monarch. On 26 July 1947, Spain was declared a kingdom, but no monarch was designated until 1969 Franco when made Juan Carlos of Bourbon his official heir-apparent. With the death of Franco on 20 November 1975, Juan Carlos became the King of Spain.

So as I said Spain was a republic under Franco until the monarchy was restored in 1975.

You cannot have a Kingdom without a monarch of royal blood as head of state by definition

Your reply is intellectually shallow. Plenty of Kingdoms have kings without “royal blood” -

- in Ireland succession was determined by an elective system based on patrilineal relationship known as tanistry;
    - the King of Bohemia was elected by the Estates of Lands of the Bohemian Crown;

I could go on…

He could declare it but it was not a Kingdon, Franco had no royal blood and the King was not Head of State so he was not regent either. He was dictator.

William I had royal blood, he was Edward the Confessor's cousin once removed. The Holy Roman Emperors had royal blood, either Spanish or German.

The Roman and Bonapartist Emperors were more heads of Empires than Kings with royal blood.

Ok I'm now going to pontificate on something I know nothing about, but that doesn't stop many on PB.

How do you define Royal Blood? Because of the wonders of the power of two we are all descendents of Royals, multiple times over. Sadly most of us can't prove it, but it is still true.
    In terms of the monarch the next closest relative, normally the eldest son, if no eldest son the eldest daughter. If the monarch died childless normally a first or second cousin
    So Saudi and the Gulf monarchies are not Kingdoms?
    King Salman of Saudi Arabia is son of the first King of Saudi Arabia
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,878

Joe Biden and Zelensky strolling round Kyiv as air raid sirens blast out 💪

https://twitter.com/chrisdyork/status/1627607312255881216?s=46&t=ZqaDazZXNczMAFl0Z7XawA

Gotta say thats a pretty bold and somewhat provocative move.
    Biden taking the spirit of Scotland's Right to Roam to a new extreme.

I'm going to have to raise my game.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

When you become King there’s some sort of mitochlorian empowers you with The Force. Or something.
    You jest.
    Taking that to its logical extreme Charles isn’t King yet and Edward VIII never was. Nor are the European monarchs in countries where they don’t do anointment anymore. HYUFD says it’s all about “blood”.
    Yes, all the European monarchies are hereditary
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

In terms of the monarch the next closest relative, normally the eldest son, if no eldest son the eldest daughter. If the monarch died childless normally a first or second cousin
    25th son
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

You jest.
    In one of his Discworld novels, Terry Pratchett explains that monarchy is the one thing that travels faster than light.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Another Carter anecdote; he was a President who actually understood what ivermectin was used for.

https://mobile.twitter.com/matthewherper/status/1627419555927666688
    I'd like to share a little story about Jimmy Carter, starting with a reporter's keepsake.

These are the notes President Carter handed me after I met him at a $MRK event to celebrate the company's collaboration with the Carter Center to end river blindness. A thread...
    ...In 1987 Merck's CEO, Roy Vagelos, came to visit Carter with an offer.

Merck's Mectizan (ivermectin) could treat river blindness, a serious parasitic condition. If Carter could get the drug where it needed to be, Merck would donate it. Here's a picture of the two of them...

Note the date. Reagan was President at the time.

When I was first teaching US politics, ten years ago, I said my personal view was that Carter was a very poor president, admittedly partly due to bad luck. I also said that since 1980 he had probably done more good than any other single human being on the planet.

Nothing I have seen or heard since has led me to change my views on either point.
    I've re-assessed my view of his presidency up quite a bit in the last few decades.
    I think he had a decidedly mixed record (agreed that's to an extent a matter of circumstance), but I don't think it "very poor".

His biggest fault was failing to get re-elected.
    Well, perhaps.

He was very much a victim of circumstances.

But:

The foreign policy initiatives - Camp David, Salt II, China - were not fruitless, but they didn't achieve what he hoped for. Meanwhile funding the mujahideen and Eagle Claw were undoubtedly disasters.

Domestically, he was unable to sort out the economic problems. OK, so that was partly due to the oil shock, but that's what he would be judged on. Reagan's slogan 'a recession is when your neighbour loses his job. A depression is when you lose yours. A recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his,' was not the less devastating for being somewhat unfair...
    The alternate case:

Much of what you've heard about Carter and Reagan is wrong
    https://noahpinion.substack.com/p/much-of-what-youve-heard-about-carter
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Also.

https://ukdaily.news/the-tory-grandees-stark-warning-to-boris-johnsons-allies-about-the-brexit-revolt-352883.html
    ...The row comes as a new query for The Independent found that a majority of the public believes Mr Johnson could step down as MP, while twice as many voters want him to remain silent than those who want him to say more on political matters.

The Savanta ComRes poll found that 44 per cent of voters would like to hear less from Mr Johnson, while just 21 per cent would like to hear more from him. About 54 per cent of the public think the former Tory PM should leave Parliament, while 36 per cent want him to remain an MP.

The same poll revealed even greater fatigue towards Liz Truss. About 55 percent of voters want to hear less from Liz Truss and 65 percent want her to step down as MP.

The Savanta ComRes survey of 2,201 adults was conducted between February 10th and 12th...

Do we really need a poll to tell us that most people want Johnson to stfu?
    No, but perhaps he does.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,135
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

On that note: TIL (from Wikipedia) that *no* medieval-or-later monarchy had absolute primogeniture until 1980. They were all either patri- or (occasionally) matri-lineal primogeniture as per HYUFD's outline, there.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

25th son
    The first King of Saudi Arabia's eldest son succeeded him as the second King, Saud, after his elder brother had been killed.

So all were sons of the King, not even cousins
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

You jest.
    Really? The Vatican hereditary? Huge if true. Also, if so, there’s an old guy in Bavaria who is the legitimate monarch of the U.K. and we need to tell him to get back here ASAP. And what that French bunch are doing masquerading as the legitimate Royal Family of Sweden I’ve NO idea.
  • Options
    Ukrainian official told me: Biden arrived in Kyiv this morning and met with Zelensky and several senior ministers. The visit will end soon. A statement on new U.S. assistance to Ukraine is expected later today

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1627610298629730304?s=20
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

BREAK: Constitution Secretary Angus Robertson NOT standing to succeed Nicola Sturgeon as Scotland’s First Minister.

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1627604739360804864?s=20

Who does that reasonably leave? Forbes Vs Yousaf?
    Robertson I suspect backs Forbes.
    If he did, I doubt he'd have made the remark about as the father of two very young children "now is not the time."

He's on team "continuity Sturgeon".
  • Options
    “Joseph Biden, welcome to Kyiv! Your visit is an extremely important show of support to all Ukrainians” - Zelensky

https://twitter.com/myroslavapetsa/status/1627611324111880192?s=20
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

You jest.
    Really? The Vatican hereditary? Huge if true. Also, if so, there’s an old guy in Bavaria who is the legitimate monarch of the U.K. and we need to tell him to get back here ASAP. And what that French bunch are doing masquerading as the legitimate Royal Family of Sweden I’ve NO idea.
    Don't forget... it is ordained by GOD that the next KING is whomsoever has the ROYAL BLOOD. You can prove you have the ROYAL BLOOD by any number of mechanisms, including tactical murder, or the invitation of a cabal of powerful local thugs.
  • Options
    With Robertson pulling out Kate Forbes has become the bookies' favourite. She is expected to declare later today.

http://data.spectator.co.uk

https://twitter.com/Simmons__/status/1627613086394851330?s=20
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,127
    Good for sleepy Joe.
    … and not just electorally.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

How about GGGG.....Grandson because if so I qualify and not only qualify, but do so many, many, many times over (due to unaware (or maybe aware) incest between relatives who are so distantly related they are unaware they are related).

The thing is you do as well.

Tell you what, we can toss for it or share being king.

I know I am being silly and I know for the UK we have the Sophia of Hanover thing which stops me and I presume you as well, but it does mean we both have royal blood.

A quick bit of maths calculating how many GGGGG grandparents you have soon exceeds the population of the planet.
  • Options
    Scottish Sun:

BREAKING: Holyrood Finance Secretary Kate Forbes WILL stand to replace Nicola Sturgeon - as bookies' favourite Angus Robertson rules himself out

https://twitter.com/ChrisMusson/status/1627609284832907264?s=20
  • Options
    The significance of @POTUS visit to Kyiv today is huge. The last time the US presidents visited Ukraine was in 2008. Biden's presence is a massive show of the US support to Ukraine. First photos show him paying respects at the Wall of remembrance of 🇺🇦 soldiers killed by Russia
    https://mobile.twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1627610806899683328
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,520
    Hang on a minute, this must be fake news.

I'd read on here that Biden was too old to construct a coherent sentence, let alone travel all the way to Kyiv.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

Scottish Sun:

BREAKING: Holyrood Finance Secretary Kate Forbes WILL stand to replace Nicola Sturgeon - as bookies' favourite Angus Robertson rules himself out

Forbes v Yousaf then - that's quite a clear choice.
  • Options
    This footage shows the moment US President Joe Biden met Ukraine's Volodymyr Zelenskyy in Kyiv during an unexpected visit to the country.

Follow the latest here: https://trib.al/N9xqPyD

📺 Sky 501, Virgin 602, Freeview 233 and YouTube

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1627615365722255361?s=20
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

Regan's there too

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,099
    geoffw said:

kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

Regan's there too

I suspect she would be the Ron choice.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,215
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

I thought Kings acquire Royal Blood by getting the job.

Gods Anointed prove the point, by getting anointed.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,050
    Sandpit said:
    Well done Biden. The symbolism is immense.

So far he’s done a decent job.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

Regan's there too

I suspect she would be the Ron choice.
    That's a leary comment

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Well *someone* is making a show of going through the middle of Kiev.
    22 vehicles, look to be all on Ukranian plates.
    https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1627605388722929665

It’s Joe Biden.

I wonder how he got the Secret Service to agree to that.
    Simple - he's the President.
    Sensible to brief beforehand that he had no intention of visiting.
    When the Secret Service told Bush II, after 9/11 that he "couldn't go" to either New York of Washington - that was a moment for telling them "Me President. You not."
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,581
    Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

mwadams said:

"In the end we're all primarily individuals" and dinner parties with Oxfordshire Tories! Are you secretly a Thatcherite 5th Columnist? :smile:

Very deep cover. I once kissed a Tory, too. What horrors await?
    I’ve not just kissed a Tory, I once crashed a OUCA event and ended up having one of the filthiest liaisons of my life. If she was anything to go by, younger Conservatives have some deep issues to work through.
    I once kissed a Tory MP -- she wasn't at the time either a Tory or an MP. She was a radical student. She changed....
    Correlation or causation ?
    Infection? On the flatworm maze running principle?
  • Options
    White House statement:

• Options
    mwadams said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

You jest.
    Don't forget... it is ordained by GOD that the next KING is whomsoever has the ROYAL BLOOD. You can prove you have the ROYAL BLOOD by any number of mechanisms, including tactical murder, or the invitation of a cabal of powerful local thugs.
    And including DKs and DNVs in your supporters.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044

TOPPING said:

mwadams said:

"In the end we're all primarily individuals" and dinner parties with Oxfordshire Tories! Are you secretly a Thatcherite 5th Columnist? :smile:

All the "high" (not in that way) Tories, I know despise Boris and, showing that England is always England, despise equally the as they might term them "Hyacinth Buckets" who support the Conservative Party.
    Just catching up on the Damian Green deselection.

Is the Conservative Party deliberately self-destructing?
    I doubt they are that smart but can't claim any expert knowledge.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

It’s Joe Biden.

When the Secret Service told Bush II, after 9/11 that he "couldn't go" to either New York of Washington - that was a moment for telling them "Me President. You not."
    George VI and Elizabeth came to London in the midst of the blitz.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    Joe Biden.
    Always underestimated.
    It's his greatest strength.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

You jest.
    If it's blood it can't be the DNA, mitochondrial or otherwise, unless it's in the white cells. Or some infective virus.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

It’s Joe Biden.

Buck House not part of London? Huge if true.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

You jest.
    "Treason never prospers..."
  • Options
    mwadams said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

You jest.
    Virtually every British King or Queen has been either the son or daughter or a first or second cousin of the previous monarch
  • Options

TOPPING said:

mwadams said:

All the "high" (not in that way) Tories, I know despise Boris and, showing that England is always England, despise equally the as they might term them "Hyacinth Buckets" who support the Conservative Party.

Presumably this is down to the same type of Party Members who helped instal Johnson and then Truss?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571
    HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

You jest.
    Virtually every British King or Queen has been either the son or daughter or a first or second cousin of the previous monarch
    But you were talking about Royals all over the world.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

You jest.
    The Pope isn't a monarch, he is head of the global Roman Catholic Church and in the line of Apostolic succession from St Peter and thus the disciples of Jesus.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    NY Times reporting that Biden flew in to Warsaw, landed in the middle of the night then took a train to Kiev. Only two journalists went with him.
  • Options

👍 Biden

Yep. A huge message to Putin - we are not divided. And a huge message to his GOP critics - I am in charge and know what I am doing.
  • Options

White House statement:

Biden is a bit late to the 'trip to Kyiv' game
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    edited February 2023

I'd read on here that Biden was too old to construct a coherent sentence, let alone travel all the way to Kyiv.

Yeah, but not as far as Moscow, like his illustrious predecessor.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

If Forbes wins, Scotland will have a more rightwing FM than the UK PM and Welsh FM.

Scotland will have the most rightwing leader in the UK of any home nations government
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,099

Yeah not as far as Moscow, like his illustrious predecessor.
    I don't think Hitler was POTUS.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,213
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

You jest.
    The Pope isn't a monarch, he is head of the global Roman Catholic Church and in the line of Apostolic succession from St Peter and thus the disciples of Jesus.
    He still shouldn't s**t in the woods...
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

You jest.
    You appear to confuse English with British but, nevertheless, William I, Henry VII and George I were none of those things. The first two got the gig by right of conquest, the last because an Act of Parliament excluded dozens of better claimants for being Catholic. That’s nothing to do with “blood”. If Parliament amended the Act of Succession tomorrow to make me King Douglas I that would make me, a mere seal, rightfully monarch.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

geoffw said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

It’s Joe Biden.

Buck House not part of London? Huge if true.
    I don't think they were in the palace after it was bombed. My father who was an ARP warden met them in their famous walkabout after the bombing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phlGssTZ3xk

• Options
    edited February 2023
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

You jest.
    But you were talking about Royals all over the world.
    Holds true for the remaining monarchies globally too.

The monarch is almost always the son or daughter or occasionally the grandchild or brother or sister or first or second cousin of the previous monarch
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

NY Times reporting that Biden flew in to Warsaw, landed in the middle of the night then took a train to Kiev. Only two journalists went with him.

Getting a train journey like that past the Secret Service must have have been interesting. There's a reason they prefer the President to travel by Airforce One.
  • Options

White House statement:

All part of the globalist conspiracy against Jeremy Corbyn. We all know that America is evil, and that NATO is the oppressor here. Time for Jeremy to do another speech about how misunderstood Russia is so that the trots can call Starmer an imperialist stooge or something.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

If Forbes wins, Scotland will have a more rightwing FM than the UK PM and Welsh FM.

Scotland will have the most rightwing leader in the UK of any home nations government
    That's twice today, goody. Please just say it once more and we cxan all relax for the day.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

No. When you / Labour obsessives try and categorise everyone on your own spectrum it always fails. The SNP aren't about to swing to the political right in the way you describe. They already have polices across the spectrum, but suggesting her government would try and out-shame your lot is laughable.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    geoffw said:

kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

Regan's there too

So what’s MacBeth up to @Malc? What have the three crones said to him?

It has to be Ash Regan for the SNP now. Photogenic. Human. Speaks brilliantly. Quick u turn on Trans policy. Skullsplitter Forbes would lose the coalition especially those that came to detest “red Tories” they have built the last 10 years.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

You KEEP assuming that Forbes views on public policy are the same as her church's. What is the evidence?

Do you assume the same about Humza Yousaf?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

mwadams said:

Presumably this is down to the same type of Party Members who helped instal Johnson and then Truss?
    Pretty much. The inescapable problem with FPTP is that it does create very safe "donkey with a rosette" seats where party activists can choose pretty much whoever they like and be pretty sure that they will be in the next Parliament.

And, good people as many activists are, their understanding of the big political picture has always been limited. Indeed, many shouldn't be trusted with a decision more demanding than the colour scheme for the party leaflets.

Oh, for the days when Central Office could manage the candidates process with the elan and ruthless efficiency of a magician telling you to pick a card, any card you like...
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

You jest.
    You appear to confuse English with British but, nevertheless, William I, Henry VII and George I were none of those things. The first two got the gig by right of conquest, the last because an Act of Parliament excluded dozens of better claimants for being Catholic. That’s nothing to do with “blood”. If Parliament amended the Act of Succession tomorrow to make me King Douglas I that would make me, a mere seal, rightfully monarch.
    William 1 was Edward the Confessor's second cousin. George 1 was Queen Anne's second cousin too.

Even Henry VII was the 5th cousin of Richard III. So even our most distantly related successor was still a cousin of the previous monarch and far closer related than most of us are to the current King
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

You KEEP assuming that Forbes views on public policy are the same as her church's. What is the evidence?

HYUFD didn't about Boris Johnson, as I recall.
  • Options

geoffw said:

kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

Regan's there too

So what’s MacBeth up to @Malc? What have the three crones said to him?

It has to be Ash Regan for the SNP now. Photogenic. Human. Speaks brilliantly. Quick u turn on Trans policy. Skullsplitter Forbes would lose the coalition especially those that came to detest “red Tories” they have built the last 10 years.
    Wouldn't she be called a TERF now... watch the fireworks on that one.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

You jest.
    Indeed - there is always some kind of "bloodline" justification (even when it is "cousins" - the weasel word that covers any arbitrary relationship) - but those cases are almost always accompanied by some kind of threat of assassination, murder, civil war (e.g. William I, Stephen, Henry VII, William III), or some tortuous pseudo-legal settlement to deal with long standing conflict (e.g. Henry II, George I).
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Getting a train journey like that past the Secret Service must have have been interesting. There's a reason they prefer the President to travel by Airforce One.
    There will definitely be a good story to tell about this one. An awful lot of protocol would have been torn up, in order to make it happen. A real skeleton crew of security, with no vehicles, going by train into a foreign country that’s under attack.

Usually he goes from his plane, to his helicopter, to his car, which travels in his convoy - with everything under the control of the Secret Service, following weeks of planning and logistics. It’s been an insanely complex operation to move the President anywhere, since Kennedy and then Reagan were shot.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

Boris Johnson worships at the church of Boris Johnson.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

mwadams said:

Pretty much. The inescapable problem with FPTP is that it does create very safe "donkey with a rosette" seats where party activists can choose pretty much whoever they like and be pretty sure that they will be in the next Parliament.

And, good people as many activists are, their understanding of the big political picture has always been limited. Indeed, many shouldn't be trusted with a decision more demanding than the colour scheme for the party leaflets.

Oh, for the days when Central Office could manage the candidates process with the elan and ruthless efficiency of a magician telling you to pick a card, any card you like...
    You're suggesting that party activists should be allowed to pick the colour scheme for leaflets?

"The Horror.... The Horror...."
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

You jest.

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

No. When you / Labour obsessives try and categorise everyone on your own spectrum it always fails. The SNP aren't about to swing to the political right in the way you describe. They already have polices across the spectrum, but suggesting her government would try and out-shame your lot is laughable.
    A Forbes leadership would be very good for the Scottish Greens as it would likely push the middle-class, progressive wing of the SNP over the edge.

What makes Scottish politics a lot more interesting now potentially is that you have two major dividing lines, not one - Nationalist v Unionist, Progressive v Non-Progressive
  • Options

TOPPING said:

mwadams said:

You're suggesting that party activists should be allowed to pick the colour scheme for leaflets?

"The Horror.... The Horror...."
    I don't think *anyone* can have been suggesting that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

Forbes is anti abortion unlike Sunak and belongs to an anti homosexual marriage church unlike Sunak.

Forbes is also arguably more pro tax cuts than Sunak too
  • Options
    Finance secretary Kate Forbes has announced she will run for the SNP leadership following Nicola Sturgeon's resignation last week.

Ms Forbes is to cut short her maternity leave to take part in the contest to replace Ms Sturgeon as first minister.

Health Secretary Humza Yousaf and former minister Ash Regan have already confirmed they will stand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-64702474
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

I don't recall Boris or Yousaf addressing an anti abortion meeting like Forbes

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16280747.snp-rising-star-kate-forbes-made-pro-life-call-brian-souter-prayer-breakfast-event/
  • Options
    'Vladimir Putin', and 'Traitor Trump' currently trending.
    Along with Bernard Cribbins.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

On the other hand.
    It's a move so unlikely that it couldn't have been anticipated.
    The sort of intelligence, that if it leaked, would most likely be instantly dismissed as fanciful black ops.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,897
    Biden making the big speech in Kyiv is positive for my Biden heavy 2024 book I think.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

You jest.

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

A Forbes leadership would be very good for the Scottish Greens as it would likely push the middle-class, progressive wing of the SNP over the edge.

What makes Scottish politics a lot more interesting now potentially is that you have two major dividing lines, not one - Nationalist v Unionist, Progressive v Non-Progressive
    A very similar thing happened in Quebec.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

'Vladimir Putin', and 'Traitor Trump' currently trending.
    Along with Bernard Cribbins.

If only for the same reason as Bernard Cribbins.....
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

You jest.

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

tbf it has always been like that - it's just that the two aren't independent. The Argand Diagram of policy shows that well. Left wingers tend to be more devolutionist at least. The right wingers have always beem much more likely to be Unionist, and conversely their mutial unionism has led to an assimilation: Slab are generally more right wing than the SNP because they're trying for the Tory vote. See Ian Murray.

Buit the correlation isn't perfect of course.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

The legitimate point here is that while the major religions are all broad churches (!), various sub groups within them have well defined views. Which are of interest and concern the voters.

Being a Christian, Jew, Muslim or Hindu isn't an issue.

Membership of various denominations within those religions is rightfully a matter of debate for political candidates.

If a putative political leader is a member of Opus Dei, for example, that would be a legitimate issue for many. Due to their clear, well articulated and devout beliefs on certain issues.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

On the other hand.
    It's a move so unlikely that it couldn't have been anticipated.
    The sort of intelligence, that if it leaked, would most likely be instantly dismissed as fanciful black ops.
    The date could.

A day of commemoration, reflection & prayer

20 Feb, 2014 marks the deadliest day of the Euromaidan protests: 48 protesters killed.

Overall, over 100 people lost their lives in the Euromaidan Revolution.

They became known as the “Heavenly Hundred”.

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1627588034077118465

But the briefing beforehand, that any visit was considered way too dangerous, was pretty widespread.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    If it's a three-way battle, its Forbes. If none are use nor ornament, go for the ornament.

Don't assume she'll blindly follow the Church teaching. As a Catholic, I'd be happy with a female Pope - as long as she's a looker.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,915
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Focaldata/UnHerd 2018

I could go on…

How about GGGG.....Grandson because if so I qualify and not only qualify, but do so many, many, many times over (due to unaware (or maybe aware) incest between relatives who are so distantly related they are unaware they are related).

The thing is you do as well.

Tell you what, we can toss for it or share being king.

I know I am being silly and I know for the UK we have the Sophia of Hanover thing which stops me and I presume you as well, but it does mean we both have royal blood.

A quick bit of maths calculating how many GGGGG grandparents you have soon exceeds the population of the planet.
    It’s quite amusing to read on some genealogical websites about people claiming descent from Alfred the great or similar. Adequate records, just don’t exist!
  • Options
    Kate Forbes will surely split the independence vote in two.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

Forbes is anti abortion unlike Sunak and belongs to an anti homosexual marriage church unlike Sunak.

Any chance she could head the UK Conservatives ? They could do with someone in charge who's an actual conservative.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,878
    Forbes opening shot is the Cuillin ridge in a Temperature Inversion. Strong start.

Then a big focus on children. Interesting.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,070
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

There will definitely be a good story to tell about this one. An awful lot of protocol would have been torn up, in order to make it happen. A real skeleton crew of security, with no vehicles, going by train into a foreign country that’s under attack.

Usually he goes from his plane, to his helicopter, to his car, which travels in his convoy - with everything under the control of the Secret Service, following weeks of planning and logistics. It’s been an insanely complex operation to move the President anywhere, since Kennedy and then Reagan were shot.
    I would be very surprised if there wasn't a significant US special forces presence in Ukraine for the duration of the visit, with further forces in Poland at a moment's notice to head in.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/_KateForbes/status/1627624249069371392

I am today launching my bid to become Scotland's next First Minister, with the vision, experience and competence to inspire voters across Scotland. #Forbes4FM
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Scottish Sun:

It is clear to me that Kate Forbes is the potential First Minister for Scotland that Brit Nat unionists most fear. I doubt that the nature of her religious affiliation will prove fatal (Ian Blackford is apparently a member of the same church) as I will be surprised if she does not have an acceptable response available e.g. she will not be imposing her religious views on anyone else and if a vote on abortion or whatever she will allow a free vote.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Biden making the big speech in Kyiv is positive for my Biden heavy 2024 book I think.

There is a natural bias on this site to take every event like this as a 'gotcha' moment for Biden / against Trump. Then, when we look in hindsight, it turns out it didn't really impact at all or went tits up (anyone talking about the document finds anymore?)

The simple fact is that, for all his supposedly amazing acts, Biden still has fairly substantial net negative ratings and - on average - net level with Trump in the PV.

• Options

Kate Forbes will surely split the independence vote in two.

She might do that, but she might also attract new supporters.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    edited February 2023
    I am today launching my bid to become Scotland's next First Minister, with the vision, experience and competence to inspire voters across Scotland. #Forbes4FM [VIDEO]
    https://twitter.com/_KateForbes/status/1627624249069371392?s=20

Slickly produced video - have either of the other candidates done anything similar?
This discussion has been closed.