Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Tories should sack their ad agency – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    "@AdamBienkov

EXCLUSIVE: Just 30% of voters say they are aware of new law requiring photo ID at polling stations, meaning millions risk being turned away from polls in May.

Only one-in-ten say they've received info from local authorities about the new requirements."

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1614949295987527680
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Korea's push to export nuclear reactors gains new momentum

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2023/01/120_343737.html
    Korea's campaign to export nuclear reactors and related facilities is gaining fresh momentum on the occasion of President Yoon Suk Yeol's state visit to the United Arab Emirates (UAE), as the two countries agreed to cooperate for additional nuclear projects in either the UAE or third countries, such as the U.K.

Yoon will wrap up his state visit to the UAE on Tuesday afternoon (local time), after fruitful summit diplomacy, including securing the UAE's commitment to invest $30 billion in Korean companies guaranteed through a joint declaration and a total of 48 memoranda of understanding (MOUs) signed between the two countries.

Nuclear energy is one of the areas that is expected to facilitate bilateral cooperation.

While promising an astonishing amount of investment, UAE President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan said his country decided to do so in recognition of the successful construction and operation of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, which was built by Korean companies.

During the leaders' visit to the nuclear plant on Monday, Yoon noted, "Now is the time for both Korea and the UAE to join hands to create additional nuclear power partnerships in the UAE and other countries."...

Yep, the Koreans did a bloody good job on the four-reactor Barakah nuclear plant, the first of its type operational.

Dare I say it, but the Koreans are going to be more reliable partners than the Chinese. Or the French.
    They do seem to be usurping our traditional role as arms exporter and provider of nuclear engineering.
    I see their next generation combat aircraft made its first supersonic flight today. Probably a more realistic program than our hazy joint venture with the Japanese.
    In South East Asia over the last 20 years there’s been an interesting shift in perception. 20 years ago the best stuff was from the USA, or at a pinch, Japan. Now it’s clearly Korea, from washing machines to pop to cosmetics to food.
    And TV and cinema...

S Korea is going to face its own set of problems - they've an ongoing demographic disaster with the world's lowest birthrate, and their export oriented economy faces problems, if the world falls back into protectionist blocks - but they are actively planning to address those problems.

We seem to to flap around aimlessly, distracted by pointless culture wars like Brexit.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

Taz said:

Well this is not a shock.

Britishvolt collapses into administration

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64303149

I can't decide whether 'not a shock' is a deliberate electrical pun or not
    Utterly shortsighted by HMT. The Americans would never have let this fail.

F-ing process jockeys with no vision, no courage and no risk appetite - with cowardly politicians on top.

Shit.
    Welcome to where I've been for the last 5 years. The whole Treasury needs junking and replacing.
    You and I and other posters have been talking about this for a long time.

Someone really needs to write a proper book on this topic.

There are various silly debates on who the real “elite” is in the UK. Is it the “right” (generally speaking, the bankers, big business, Tory donors, and the cultural remnants of the aristocracy and the Church of England)?

Or is it the “left” (the bien pensant Islingtonians, senior civil servants and charity executives, academics, and liberal journalists)?

Well, the actual answer in the UK is the Treasury.
    No the Treasury is just a bunch of junior civil servants with an institutional aversion to doing anything. Its direction is set by the Chancellor and the PM and the Treasury can be bent to their will given sufficient effort.
    The "elite" in this country is quite diffuse and contains elements of all the groups you mention.
    They can be bent, but I strongly suspect that most MPs are scared of them and don’t have the intellectual experience to challenge them.
    And, at the end of the day they control all the spending.

Treasury appears to have a very rigid idea of what works and what doesn’t, and they are not completely wrong. It’s just that neither are they completely right, and they tend to defeat politicians who might want to challenge them.

The Truss-Kwarteng fiasco will only have strengthened their intellectual death-grip.

I don't hold any candle for the Treasury - I turned down a job there to do something more interesting earlier in my career and certainly don't regret it. But I think it's not unreasonable that the people responsible for spending our money are averse to throwing it around like confetti. And the Trussterfuck episode simply illustrates that managing the economy successfully is harder than it looks, so perhaps Treasury orthodoxy has something going for it.
    Osborne's austerity was a mistake (as I thought at the time). That was facilitated by Treasury orthodoxy but ultimately the thinking came from the political leadership - as it should of course.
    The basic issue with the Treasury is the failure to understand the idea of creating something from nothing and that is the root cause of why the decision making is poor and why the UK struggles to capture market share in capital intensive industries. Look at where the UK has had recent success, it's all in the information or IP space, an area where very little capital investment is required beyond buying your data scientists a laptop and having reasonably good internet. Where businesses in the UK try to create something where nothing exists or there's nothing to build on (say a battery industry) the Treasury will run it's models and stick in a bunch of 0s and unsurprisingly get a bunch of 0s in the output and investment isn't backed or subsidised.

That isn't a brexit issue, it's not a Labour or Tory issue, it's been this way for at least as long as we've been alive.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,144
    Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews: BREAKING: RMT announces train drivers at 14 rail operators will strike on 1 and 3 February in a long-running disput… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1615370026369810436

The RMT is not the train drivers union, ASLEF is,
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    dixiedean said:

In addition to the collapse of British Volt, I hear rumours that the much trumpeted passenger line through Blyth has needed £70 m more in funds and is already a year behind schedule.
    Looks like the new Labour MP will get to open the stations.

British Volt deserved to go down - they didn't seem to have the skills required to actually create a large battery factory. Which is why they couldn't raise the money.

Given the battery shortage at the moment, this means that they really looked unattractive to investors.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955

Which members of the Royal Family make a positive contribution to the country? Only the Prince and Princess of Wales have a majority of the British public saying they do. All except Harry, Meghan and Andrew have seen their numbers improve since 2020, however.

https://twitter.com/JoeTwyman/status/1615346825963372544

What is explanation for apparent rise in appreciation (if that's really the word?) for Prince Edward and Zara T?
    They very kindly haven't impinged on the consciousness?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,614
    Nicola Sturgeon today pleaded ignorance about concerns re interaction between Equality Act and Holyrood gender reforms

Unsure how this squares with @EHRC raising exactly these concerns to Scot Gov in September.
    https://twitter.com/ChrisMusson/status/1615370791998353409
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

Taz said:

F-ing process jockeys with no vision, no courage and no risk appetite - with cowardly politicians on top.

Shit.
    Welcome to where I've been for the last 5 years. The whole Treasury needs junking and replacing.

There are various silly debates on who the real “elite” is in the UK. Is it the “right” (generally speaking, the bankers, big business, Tory donors, and the cultural remnants of the aristocracy and the Church of England)?

Or is it the “left” (the bien pensant Islingtonians, senior civil servants and charity executives, academics, and liberal journalists)?

No the Treasury is just a bunch of junior civil servants with an institutional aversion to doing anything. Its direction is set by the Chancellor and the PM and the Treasury can be bent to their will given sufficient effort.
    The "elite" in this country is quite diffuse and contains elements of all the groups you mention.
    They can be bent, but I strongly suspect that most MPs are scared of them and don’t have the intellectual experience to challenge them.

Treasury appears to have a very rigid idea of what works and what doesn’t, and they are not completely wrong. It’s just that neither are they completely right, and they tend to defeat politicians who might want to challenge them.

The Truss-Kwarteng fiasco will only have strengthened their intellectual death-grip.

I don't hold any candle for the Treasury - I turned down a job there to do something more interesting earlier in my career and certainly don't regret it. But I think it's not unreasonable that the people responsible for spending our money are averse to throwing it around like confetti. And the Trussterfuck episode simply illustrates that managing the economy successfully is harder than it looks, so perhaps Treasury orthodoxy has something going for it.
    Osborne's austerity was a mistake (as I thought at the time). That was facilitated by Treasury orthodoxy but ultimately the thinking came from the political leadership - as it should of course.
    The basic issue with the Treasury is the failure to understand the idea of creating something from nothing and that is the root cause of why the decision making is poor and why the UK struggles to capture market share in capital intensive industries. Look at where the UK has had recent success, it's all in the information or IP space, an area where very little capital investment is required beyond buying your data scientists a laptop and having reasonably good internet. Where businesses in the UK try to create something where nothing exists or there's nothing to build on (say a battery industry) the Treasury will run it's models and stick in a bunch of 0s and unsurprisingly get a bunch of 0s in the output and investment isn't backed or subsidised.

That isn't a brexit issue, it's not a Labour or Tory issue, it's been this way for at least as long as we've been alive.
    And I would add that, while this seemed smart in the 80s against the legacy of picking winners etc, the economic evidence increasingly suggests that governments do actually need to invest in infrastructure and R&D if they want to provide the conditions for private business to do its thing.

That’s not necessarily splurging on British Volt (I don’t know anything of them, just using as an example), but rather enabling the next British Volt to find easy access to a skilled workforce and the intellectual externalities associated with research.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Korea's campaign to export nuclear reactors and related facilities is gaining fresh momentum on the occasion of President Yoon Suk Yeol's state visit to the United Arab Emirates (UAE), as the two countries agreed to cooperate for additional nuclear projects in either the UAE or third countries, such as the U.K.

Yoon will wrap up his state visit to the UAE on Tuesday afternoon (local time), after fruitful summit diplomacy, including securing the UAE's commitment to invest $30 billion in Korean companies guaranteed through a joint declaration and a total of 48 memoranda of understanding (MOUs) signed between the two countries.

Nuclear energy is one of the areas that is expected to facilitate bilateral cooperation.

While promising an astonishing amount of investment, UAE President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan said his country decided to do so in recognition of the successful construction and operation of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, which was built by Korean companies.

During the leaders' visit to the nuclear plant on Monday, Yoon noted, "Now is the time for both Korea and the UAE to join hands to create additional nuclear power partnerships in the UAE and other countries."...

Yep, the Koreans did a bloody good job on the four-reactor Barakah nuclear plant, the first of its type operational.

Dare I say it, but the Koreans are going to be more reliable partners than the Chinese. Or the French.
    They do seem to be usurping our traditional role as arms exporter and provider of nuclear engineering.
    I see their next generation combat aircraft made its first supersonic flight today. Probably a more realistic program than our hazy joint venture with the Japanese.
    In South East Asia over the last 20 years there’s been an interesting shift in perception. 20 years ago the best stuff was from the USA, or at a pinch, Japan. Now it’s clearly Korea, from washing machines to pop to cosmetics to food.
    I am reading “How Asia Works”, which I think was an FT Best Books winner last year.

Quite fascinating, in that it suggests the key behind Korea’s success was breaking up land ownership to create small landholders in (I think) the 1950s.

This created a large “middle class” of people who were incented to work for their own prosperity and allowed them to create surplus for entrepreneurial investment.

I keep wondering if there are lessons for the UK, which has managed to gear itself into a machine for rentiers to make money.
    Modern Korea is very much a machine for rentiers to make money, too.

I think one of the factors behind the Korean economic miracle was the willingness (perhaps semi-coerced) of a generation of Korean workers essentially to sacrifice themselves for the national project.

It's a complex and contested topic.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

In addition to the collapse of British Volt, I hear rumours that the much trumpeted passenger line through Blyth has needed £70 m more in funds and is already a year behind schedule.

British Volt deserved to go down - they didn't seem to have the skills required to actually create a large battery factory. Which is why they couldn't raise the money.

Given the battery shortage at the moment, this means that they really looked unattractive to investors.
    No large domestic market might have had as much, if not more to do with it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

Taz said:

Shit.

And I would add that, while this seemed smart in the 80s against the legacy of picking winners etc, the economic evidence increasingly suggests that governments do actually need to invest in infrastructure and R&D if they want to provide the conditions for private business to do its thing.

That’s not necessarily splurging on British Volt (I don’t know anything of them, just using as an example), but rather enabling the next British Volt to find easy access to a skilled workforce and the intellectual externalities associated with research.
    Splurging on British Volt, directly, would be picking winners/losers.

Providing subsidies/tax breaks for actual production of batteries would be a better idea.

We have subsidies for electric cars. Why not a subsidy per cell produced, for serious quantities, size of payment based on how much of the value is added in the UK? So an imported cell gets zero.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

I am reading “How Asia Works”, which I think was an FT Best Books winner last year.

Quite fascinating, in that it suggests the key behind Korea’s success was breaking up land ownership to create small landholders in (I think) the 1950s.

This created a large “middle class” of people who were incented to work for their own prosperity and allowed them to create surplus for entrepreneurial investment.

I keep wondering if there are lessons for the UK, which has managed to gear itself into a machine for rentiers to make money.

I think one of the factors behind the Korean economic miracle was the willingness (perhaps semi-coerced) of a generation of Korean workers essentially to sacrifice themselves for the national project.

Read the book!
    I think his argument falls into necessary but not sufficient. He highlights Sth Korea, Taiwan, Japan and China as having made the right land reforms at the right time to start a process of industrialisation.

Inter alia, he dismisses Singapore because they follow a model (ie a financial entrepot) which doesn’t scale beyond a single city state.

Something to think about for those aspiring to a “Singapore on Thames”.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

No large domestic market might have had as much, if not more to do with it.
    The international market is tight enough that any exchange rate issue would be a small detail. Given what I've seen of what they done so far, the investors would have been really unimpressed.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

Taz said:

Shit.

None if that counts if there aren't also buyers prepared to sign contracts for large scale production. And at the moment in the UK, there aren't.

Manufacturing policy has to be coherent, not piecemeal.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

Taz said:

Shit.

None if that counts if there aren't also buyers prepared to sign contracts for large scale production. And at the moment in the UK, there aren't.

Manufacturing policy has to be coherent, not piecemeal.
    I would argue that access to markets is one of those essential things that governments ought to be “providing”.

But again, I don’t really know much about BV specifically.

The Asian tigers basically forced manufacturers to find export markets rather than rely on often corrupt, nepotistic and backward domestic markets.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    @JenniferJJacobs: Bloomberg scoop: The Netherlands is considering sending a Patriot system to Ukraine, joining the US and Germany in… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1615385038740197376
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Read the book!
    I think his argument falls into necessary but not sufficient. He highlights Sth Korea, Taiwan, Japan and China as having made the right land reforms at the right time to start a process of industrialisation.

Inter alia, he dismisses Singapore because they follow a model (ie a financial entrepot) which doesn’t scale beyond a single city state.

Thanks; I've ordered it.
    Necessary but not sufficient sounds right to me, FWIW. Culture, of course, also counts.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@JenniferJJacobs: Bloomberg scoop: The Netherlands is considering sending a Patriot system to Ukraine, joining the US and Germany in… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1615385038740197376

There are some missiles (the carrier killer that killed 40+ civilians in the Dnipro flats, for example) that Ukraine simply can't shoot down.
    Patriot would change that.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

Taz said:

Shit.

Yes there's Good and Bad Treasury Orthodoxy imo. Good = No Magic Money Tree. Bad = Inflexible Methodologies. There'd be upside in them being more creative but downside risk too - just think what might happen in a creative Treasury with the wrong people. You'd probably get worse outcomes than the old orthodoxy would deliver.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    Sean_F said:

Guardian's live politics blog says this about the Scotland debate:

"Douglas Ross, the Scottish Conservative leader (he is an MSP as well as an MP), accuses Nicola Sturgeon of trying to turn this into a “political battle” when all the UK government is trying to do is protect the rights of women and girls."

This is the exact problem that Dross has so eloquently carved out. As an MSP he led the opposition to the bill, and thanks to cross party support he lost. Now as an MP he says it is right for Westminster to veto the bill to "protect the rights of women and girls". Whether you agree with him or the bill or whatever is not the issue.

There was a debate. Dross was outvoted by the other parties. Dross now thinks it isn't offside to simply have his other job overrule his failure in Holyrood.

Either the Scottish legislation has no adverse effect on the law in the rest of the UK, in which case the Scottish government will prevail, when this goes to Court.

Or it does have such an adverse impact, in which case the government was entirely correct to block it.

We'll find out in due course.
    Open and shut case given current UK structure.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

There are some missiles (the carrier killer that killed 40+ civilians in the Dnipro flats, for example) that Ukraine simply can't shoot down.
    Actually, SA-10 (aka S-300) should be quite capable against AS-4 (aka Kh22)

The problem will be coverage - number of SAM systems.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Read the book!

It's surprising really that Syngman Rhee would have made such reforms. South Korea was poorer than the North until well into the 1960's, when the economy took off, just as the North's faltered.
  • Options

Not sure what to make of Stephen Flynn. Speaks well - but hmm

Useless is a big compliment for him. Butt licker.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Conversion therapy (including for trans) ban back on once again. Bill to be introduced.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Read the book!

Singapore on Thames might work very well for London as a city state. Minus the draconian authoritarian laws. RUK could do OK as a version of Malaysia/Indonesia.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Read the book!

Singapore on Thames might work very well for London as a city state. Minus the draconian authoritarian laws. RUK could do OK as a version of Malaysia/Indonesia.
    peed ma breeks at that one, how cuckoo can you get.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

And TV and cinema...

S Korea is going to face its own set of problems - they've an ongoing demographic disaster with the world's lowest birthrate, and their export oriented economy faces problems, if the world falls back into protectionist blocks - but they are actively planning to address those problems.

We seem to to flap around aimlessly, distracted by pointless culture wars like Brexit.

"China's population falls for first time since 1961"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-64300190

China's population has fallen for the first time in 60 years, with the national birth rate hitting a record low - 6.77 births per 1,000 people.

The population in 2022 - 1.4118 billion - fell by 850,000 from 2021.

China's birth rate has been declining for years, prompting a slew of policies to try to slow the trend.

But seven years after scrapping the one-child policy, it has entered what one official described as an "era of negative population growth".

The birth rate in 2022 was also down from 7.52 in 2021, according to China's National Bureau of Statistics, which released the figures on Tuesday.

In comparison, in 2021, the United States recorded 11.06 births per 1,000 people, and the United Kingdom, 10.08 births. The birth rate for the same year in India, which is poised to overtake China as the world's most populous country, was 16.42.

Deaths also outnumbered births for the first time last year in China. The country logged its highest death rate since 1976 - 7.37 deaths per 1,000 people, up from 7.18 the previous year.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Read the book!

Is not the UK starting to resemble the Venetian Republic, with London as the heart, focus and power center. And the hinterlands beyond the Metropolitan Pale similar to the Terrafirma on the other side of the lagoon from Venice?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domini_di_Terraferma
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,320

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

Taz said:

Shit.

Providing subsidies/tax breaks for actual production of batteries would be a better idea.

We have subsidies for electric cars. Why not a subsidy per cell produced, for serious quantities, size of payment based on how much of the value is added in the UK? So an imported cell gets zero.
    But, with too purist a form of thinking on that Airbus would never have emerged as a major competitior to (that eventually overtook) Boeing. It has masses of state support, as does Boeing from the US government of course.

It's time to start thinking of government as an investor that can make good investment decisions that pay off as well as bad ones that don't, just like any other investor.

That's quite a separate point from saying it should never make any investment decisions in case it picks a loser, which I think is borderline dogmatic and a clear path to deterring capital intensive start-ups.
  • Options
    Ineos has entered the bidding process to buy Manchester United. Sir Jim Ratcliffe, one of Britain’s richest men, has confirmed that he is officially in the running to buy the club from the Glazers.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Conversion therapy (including for trans) ban back on once again. Bill to be introduced.

I voted Tory at the last election, but now I self-identify as Labour :)
  • Options
    @SkyNews: Elon Musk and Tesla going on trial over claims his tweets cost investors billions of dollars http://news.sky.com/story/elon-musk-and-tesla-going-on-trial-over-claims-his-tweets-cost-investors-billions-of-dollars-12788881
  • Options
    @RedfieldWilton: Rishi Sunak's approval rating in the Blue Wall is -1%, his first negative approval rating in these seats as PM.

Ri… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1615398600762134528
  • Options
    And apparently Clarkson has been dumped by Amazon Prime.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

Taz said:

Shit.

But, with too purist a form of thinking on that Airbus would never have emerged as a major competitior to (that eventually overtook) Boeing. It has masses of state support, as does Boeing from the US government of course.

It's time to start thinking of government as an investor that can make good investment decisions that pay off as well as bad ones that don't, just like any other investor.

That's quite a separate point from saying it should never make any investment decisions in case it picks a loser, which I think is borderline dogmatic and a clear path to deterring capital intensive start-ups.
    Either do it as a state run company, or provide incentives. Investing in privately run companies is picking the winners - rarely a good plan for governments.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Actually, SA-10 (aka S-300) should be quite capable against AS-4 (aka Kh22)...
    They claim not (and say the same of the S300s used for ground attack). I’m not knowledgeable enough to contradict that.
  • Options
    @RedfieldWilton: Starmer's approval rating is +8% in the traditionally Conservative Blue Wall.

Keir Starmer Blue Wall Net Approval… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1615401126857146384
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,104

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

Taz said:

Shit.

Either do it as a state run company, or provide incentives. Investing in privately run companies is picking the winners - rarely a good plan for governments.
    Maybe they could create a VIP lane for companies with links to Cabinet ministers that could be prioritised for government money.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

It’s going to be complicated:

The legislation must not, through a lack of clarity, harm the growing number of children and young adults experiencing gender related distress, through inadvertently criminalising or chilling legitimate conversations parents or clinicians may have with their children.

https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-statements/detail/2023-01-17/hcws500
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

Taz said:

Shit.

Sounds very like private equity in my experience! We need more spreadsheet free zones in this country.

• Options
    In my continuing quest to avoid working, just flipped on TV . . . on to VERY early episode of "Perry Mason" featuring as a supporting actor a VERY young Adam West.

Geezer gold!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

He has stuffed himself big time, thought he was a smart arse but finds out he is just an arse.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

Taz said:

Shit.

I don't agree - i view it as a public-private partnership. There are plenty of examples of this in operations and maintenance; why not in set-up too?

There was a clear business case for this. The issue was upfront investment to fund early construction costs and get it off the ground.

It's a shit decision. And shows huge inflexibility by HMT.

• Options
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews: BREAKING: RMT announces train drivers at 14 rail operators will strike on 1 and 3 February in a long-running disput… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1615370026369810436

Both ASLEF and RMT represent train drivers. I can't remember why.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

All the drivers are out - Sky: "1 and 3 February - strikes by train driver members of the RMT at 14 rail operators; train driver members of Aslef will strike on the same days"

I believe there are deep rooted issues as to why some drivers are in RMT. And some degree of lingering animosity.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,176
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

He has stuffed himself big time, thought he was a smart arse but finds out he is just an arse.
    Not sure that’s true. If you watch the first episode of The Grand Tour, there is a montage of his sacking and it leads into a joyous new era. I suspect the same will happen again. It’s not as if the BBC and Amazon are the only options.
  • Options
    @SeaShantyIrish2

'...hinterlands beyond the Metropolitan Pale....'

First time I've heard Hackney Marshes referred to in that way but you could be right.
  • Options

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Apparently (based on intensive 30-sec of googling) from their origins in late 19th-century, membership of National Union of Railwaymen (subsumed into RMT) was open to all (blue-collar) railroad workers; however, the majority of locomotive engineers and firemen instead affiliated with craft union that ended up ASLEF.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    And so, the AI lawsuits begin:

Getty Images are suing the company behind Stable Diffusion, for copyright infringement and not getting permission to use images in training data.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/17/23558516/ai-art-copyright-stable-diffusion-getty-images-lawsuit
  • Options
    U.S. Department of Energy Announces $42 Million To Develop More Affordable and Efficient Advanced Electric Vehicle Batteries In America
    A Dozen Selected Projects Will Develop Advanced EV Batteries that Charge Faster, Have Greater Efficiency and Resilience, and Boost Consumer Confidence Against Range Anxiety
    https://arpa-e.energy.gov/news-and-media/press-releases/us-department-energy-announces-42-million-develop-more-affordable-efficient-advanced-ev-batteries-america
  • Options
    35 years old!

Met police confirm a man has been charged with assaulting Aaron Ramsdale after NLD

Joseph Watts, 35, of Hackney is due to appear at Highbury Magistrates’ Court on Friday, 17 February.

https://twitter.com/_DanMatthews_/status/1615405448609337377
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Not sure that’s true. If you watch the first episode of The Grand Tour, there is a montage of his sacking and it leads into a joyous new era. I suspect the same will happen again. It’s not as if the BBC and Amazon are the only options.
    It’s being reported that their contract will not be renewed when it expires in a couple of years’ time, much more to do with falling audiences, especially in the US, than any more recent ‘incidents’.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2023/01/17/real-reason-behind-amazons-jeremy-clarkson-cancellation/
  • Options

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Apparently (based on intensive 30-sec of googling) from their origins in late 19th-century, membership of National Union of Railwaymen (subsumed into RMT) was open to all (blue-collar) railroad workers; however, the majority of locomotive engineers and firemen instead affiliated with craft union that ended up ASLEF.
    In my semi-humble (and more than quasi-ignorant) opinion, Hackney Marshes are well within the Metro Pale, functioning as its kidney (or colon?).

Sorta like the New Jersey Meadowlands for Greater Gotham.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

It’s being reported that their contract will not be renewed when it expires in a couple of years’ time, much more to do with falling audiences, especially in the US, than any more recent ‘incidents’.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2023/01/17/real-reason-behind-amazons-jeremy-clarkson-cancellation/
    It is worth noting that the shine had rather come off Top Gear UK when they had their falling out.

I do wonder if Clarkson has managed to make this about "woke" rather than declining viewership.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

Taz said:

Shit.

I don't agree - i view it as a public-private partnership. There are plenty of examples of this in operations and maintenance; why not in set-up too?

There was a clear business case for this. The issue was upfront investment to fund early construction costs and get it off the ground.

Why do business with British Volt?

Have a look at them.

It has the smell of “book the Private Eye special now”

Unless you want some PPE?

They, essentially, are flailing around in an industry they don’t know or understand.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Early evening all :)

Good to see some "Blue Wall" polling out from R&W. Little move in the headline figures - Labour still leads by nine points and it's a 19.5% swing from Conservative to Labour. The Conservative to LD swing is 7% even though the LDs are down six from 2019 GE numbers (Reform are up to six).

The deeper figures aren't so bad for the Conservatives though it's more bumping along the bottom than big gains.

54% of the 2019 Conservative vote is still loyal but the number going Labour has fallen as the numbers going Don't Know and Reform has increased. Only 56% of Labour voters are now considering a tactical vote which isn't good news for the LDs and overall those considering and not considering tactical voting are the same at 43%.

Not sure what this would mean for the 42 constituencies on the Blue Wall list. The May local elections could tell us a lot more about what's happening in each constituency.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Read the book!

It's surprising really that Syngman Rhee would have made such reforms. South Korea was poorer than the North until well into the 1960's, when the economy took off, just as the North's faltered.
    There was a Cambridge "economist" who, as recently as the late 70s or early 80s, confidently predicted that the richer, more successful North would inevitably subsume the South.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    stodge said:

Good to see some "Blue Wall" polling out from R&W. Little move in the headline figures - Labour still leads by nine points and it's a 19.5% swing from Conservative to Labour. The Conservative to LD swing is 7% even though the LDs are down six from 2019 GE numbers (Reform are up to six).

The deeper figures aren't so bad for the Conservatives though it's more bumping along the bottom than big gains.

54% of the 2019 Conservative vote is still loyal but the number going Labour has fallen as the numbers going Don't Know and Reform has increased. Only 56% of Labour voters are now considering a tactical vote which isn't good news for the LDs and overall those considering and not considering tactical voting are the same at 43%.

Not sure what this would mean for the 42 constituencies on the Blue Wall list. The May local elections could tell us a lot more about what's happening in each constituency.

Given most Blue Wall sears outside London are straight Tory v LD battles that is not necessarily too bad news for Sunak if Labour is up and the LDs are down.

Also more 2019 Tory voters there going RefUK or DK than Labour
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

Taz said:

Shit.

Have a look at them.

They, essentially, are flailing around in an industry they don’t know or understand.
    One might get the impression, that their business model was getting a large pile of cash from government, above delivering any batteries.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

It is worth noting that the shine had rather come off Top Gear UK when they had their falling out.

I do wonder if Clarkson has managed to make this about "woke" rather than declining viewership.
    Perhaps Clarkson noted success - initial anyway - of Trump, deploying similar strategy for same reason?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

The willingness of populations to work long hours for little pay, that is then all saved (i.e. used to keep cost of capital low for exporters), while said countries also benefit from collapsing birth rates, is behind the economic success stories almost everywhere.
  • Options
    Is it possible that Nicholas Turgeon wants a GRC?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

The legislation must not, through a lack of clarity, harm the growing number of children and young adults experiencing gender related distress, through inadvertently criminalising or chilling legitimate conversations parents or clinicians may have with their children.

https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-statements/detail/2023-01-17/hcws500
    Yes it is.
    Define conversion.
    Define therapy.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Andy_JS said:

"@AdamBienkov

EXCLUSIVE: Just 30% of voters say they are aware of new law requiring photo ID at polling stations, meaning millions risk being turned away from polls in May.

Only one-in-ten say they've received info from local authorities about the new requirements."

No matter how much is done a lot of people will still have no idea.

Now, people do tend to overreact to the idea of requiring photo ID at polling stations, acting like it is the most terrible thing imaginable even when many decently run countries have such things (arguments over generalised provision of IDs), but given the major potential issues around voting does not appear to have been personation, it was in my view probably not necessary.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

Taz said:

Shit.

Have a look at them.

One might get the impression, that their business model was getting a large pile of cash from government, above delivering any batteries.
    So they could rebrand as a large charity then?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

If you read the detail behind the headline that's precisely what it's about.

Amazon wouldn't give a toss if they were still making a fortune from him.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Given most Blue Wall sears outside London are straight Tory v LD battles that is not necessarily too bad news for Sunak if Labour is up and the LDs are down.

The last bit is a mixed blessing for the blue team. There have been substantial drifts both ways- both to the left and to the right. It's going to be tricky to win back both, and it might be that moves to attract voter A repel voter B.

Two fronted wars are hard to win. One of the reason that 2019 worked was that Labour and Lib Dems were so busy committing hari-kari that the Conservatives could go hunting to their right without comeback.

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,341
    Just been watching the news. You can tell when Stugeon is lying. Her lips move.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"@AdamBienkov

Now, people do tend to overreact to the idea of requiring photo ID at polling stations, acting like it is the most terrible thing imaginable even when many decently run countries have such things (arguments over generalised provision of IDs), but given the major potential issues around voting does not appear to have been personation, it was in my view probably not necessary.
    I have to give ID to pick up post, yet can turn up at a polling booth, say I’m John Smith (in reality my neighbour) and steal his vote.
    I have zero objection to proving who I am to vote. It’s an important part of life. My only stipulation is that forms of proof must be easy to obtain.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

Taz said:

Shit.

Have a look at them.

In extremis, as a primary investor, you would buy out the assets and put in new
    management in with a new funding schedule if it's of strategic importance, and the business case still stacks up, as this does.

Under your approach you'd have let Rolls Royce go to the wall in 1971.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

The last bit is a mixed blessing for the blue team. There have been substantial drifts both ways- both to the left and to the right. It's going to be tricky to win back both, and it might be that moves to attract voter A repel voter B.

Two fronted wars are hard to win. One of the reason that 2019 worked was that Labour and Lib Dems were so busy committing hari-kari that the Conservatives could go hunting to their right without comeback.

Rishi has already got a 5% swing from LD to Tory in bluewall seats since Truss was PM

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1615393514132471832?s=20&t=P6Z5pMoooFho9G-Vt11Mzw
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"@AdamBienkov

I have to give ID to pick up post, yet can turn up at a polling booth, say I’m John Smith (in reality my neighbour) and steal his vote.
    I have zero objection to proving who I am to vote. It’s an important part of life. My only stipulation is that forms of proof must be easy to obtain.
    And it does actually appear to be fairly easy. If they can get through with a limited amount of disruption it's the sort of thing people will simply get used to. But it was still searching for a problem.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yes it is.
    Define conversion.
    Define therapy.
    Is “affirmative care” (sic) “care” or “conversion therapy”?

Stonewall and their acolytes (including the ScotGov report on this) argue the former. Critics argue the latter, “transing the gay away”.

I think the Swedish approach of watchful waiting and no drugs for under 18s except in exceptional cases, and pushing neither transition nor status quo the best approach.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

The willingness of populations to work long hours for little pay, that is then all saved (i.e. used to keep cost of capital low for exporters), while said countries also benefit from collapsing birth rates, is behind the economic success stories almost everywhere.
    A good video from Wendover, plotting the recent industrial history of South Korea:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oL0umpPPe-8

One-word summary: Samsung.
  • Options

Real tell is how often she blinks, when lying the speed is incredible and that as you say is most of the time.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

Taz said:

Shit.

Have a look at them.

In extremis, as a primary investor, you would buy out the assets and put in new
    management in with a new funding schedule if it's of strategic importance, and the business case still stacks up, as this does.

Under your approach you'd have let Rolls Royce go to the wall in 1971.
    Rolls Royce had to make a business case to get rescued. They had a moderate sized actual business making things that actually existed. They had a track record in making things. They had expertise in making said things. They had other investors investing in them making things. They had detailed plans for exactly where the government money would go.

British Volt have none of those things.

The government would be better off finding a new company to buy up anything left for tupence and actually making some batteries.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"@AdamBienkov

That's true. Except Royal Mail does not require photo ID to collect your post, and your neighbour will discover you have voted on his behalf when he turns up to vote; even if you have locked him in your cellar, a single vote is unlikely to change the result of an election in any constituency.
  • Options

I thought her response to Mason on whether this could just be sincere disagreement very telling - and quite a contrast to Jack’s performance in the HoC where he stressed the need to find a solution that works for both parties.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,245
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"@AdamBienkov

And it does actually appear to be fairly easy. If they can get through with a limited amount of disruption it's the sort of thing people will simply get used to. But it was still searching for a problem.
    If something is needed (which it isn't) why not just ask for ID from people who don't bring their polling card with them?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"@AdamBienkov

That's true. Except Royal Mail does not require photo ID to collect your post, and your neighbour will discover you have voted on his behalf when he turns up to vote; even if you have locked him in your cellar, a single vote is unlikely to change the result of an election in any constituency.
    We do ID for lots of stuff in everyday life. I don’t know why we don’t for such an important thing as voting. It’s not really about personation, it’s about respecting the importance of the vote, for me at least.
    Plus my neighbours vote would be stolen and he wouldn’t know it was me. How would he?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,916

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

If you read the detail behind the headline that's precisely what it's about.

Amazon wouldn't give a toss if they were still making a fortune from him.
    Netflix will sign him up so H&M have to walk away thus saving Netflix a fortune on their deal.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Read the book!

There was a Cambridge "economist" who, as recently as the late 70s or early 80s, confidently predicted that the richer, more successful North would inevitably subsume the South.
    On the contrary, I think at some point in the next decade NK will collapse, and while reunification will be problematic, it will largely solve SK demographics.

There is an interesting line of argument that it was the Vietnam war that jump-started the SK economy. The USA wanted troops and paid for SK troops to go in quite substantial numbers and these men were paid at decent rates. As well as this there was direct economic aid to SK. 350 000 Koreans served in Vietnam.

Not only did this expose Koreans to US consumer goods, it gave them enough cash and education to better themselves. It turns out that a well paid peasantry does a lot for ground level economic development.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

I wouldn't assume it's all Conservative vs Liberal Democrats by any stretch. The 42 include (outside London) Filton & Bradley Stoke, Milton Keynes North, Milton Keynes South, Reading West and Wycombe which are clearly Conservative-Labour marginals.

What we don't of course know is what's happening in each seat and the degree to which tactical voting will or might occur in each seat.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,341
    edited January 2023
    It's pure and simple SNP strategy to pick a fight with a (weak) Govt. I hope the Law Lords see it for what it is and enforce the law.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yes it is.
    Define conversion.
    Define therapy.

Stonewall and their acolytes (including the ScotGov report on this) argue the former. Critics argue the latter, “transing the gay away”.

I think the Swedish approach of watchful waiting and no drugs for under 18s except in exceptional cases, and pushing neither transition nor status quo the best approach.
    There also is no definition of therapist.
    It isn't a regulated profession.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"@AdamBienkov

We do ID for lots of stuff in everyday life. I don’t know why we don’t for such an important thing as voting. It’s not really about personation, it’s about respecting the importance of the vote, for me at least.
    Plus my neighbours vote would be stolen and he wouldn’t know it was me. How would he?
    He would know someone had stolen his vote, and so would the election workers, yet there are very few reported incidents of personation (perhaps because personation is very hard to organise on the scale needed to swing an election).
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"@AdamBienkov

He would know someone had stolen his vote, and so would the election workers, yet there are very few reported incidents of personation (perhaps because personation is very hard to organise on the scale needed to swing an election).
    I find it interesting just how many people think it is a bad idea to have to prove your right to vote. Are they of the no ID card persuasion? Or is it because they thinks it a vote suppressing trick? Or just not needed?
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

I wouldn't assume it's all Conservative vs Liberal Democrats by any stretch. The 42 include (outside London) Filton & Bradley Stoke, Milton Keynes North, Milton Keynes South, Reading West and Wycombe which are clearly Conservative-Labour marginals.

What we don't of course know is what's happening in each seat and the degree to which tactical voting will or might occur in each seat.
    Sunak also leads Starmer 42% to 34% as preferred PM in the bluewall seats

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1615396086373302272?t=3a5edr7AFuIMoaMlN-1vRQ&s=19
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Rishi has already got a 5% swing from LD to Tory in bluewall seats since Truss was PM

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1615393514132471832?s=20&t=P6Z5pMoooFho9G-Vt11Mzw
    If we're going to make these kind of claims, let's check the evidence.

This is the fifth Redfield & Wilton Blue Wall poll.

The Conservative figures have been: 28, 33, 32, 30 and 30

The Liberal Democrat figures have been 24, 16, 23, 21 and 21

The swing since the first poll (conducted while Truss was still Prime Minister) from Conservative to Liberal Democrat is 2.5% though the swing since the second poll (conducted on 28-29 October so after Sunak became Prime Minister) is 4% from Conservative to the Liberal Democrats.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

I agree the Redfield write up of their own poll is more than iffy, as they say "In 2019, Labour came THIRD in these seats" which may be true across the seats as a whole but definitely isn't for every individual seat.

There is, though, some polling in there on tactical voting that has to be a worry for the Lib Dems. This refers to willingness to vote tactically, where propensity to do so appears to have reduced compared with a couple of months ago or the last election. That will probably weaken as campaigns ramp up in individual seats (people get a few Focuses and resolve to vote Labour come what may does tend to weaken), but it's a bit counterintuitive and not great for the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,790
    edited January 2023

It's pure and simple SNP strategy to pick a fight with a (weak) Govt. I hope the Law Lords see it for what it is and enforce the law.

Playing the Tories at their own game and she wins regardless .

At the end of the day Westminster stepped in and blocked a Bill which was passed by Scottish MSPs .

Regardless of what the court finds it’s job done for Sturgeon . Good luck to her . She knocks spots off most politicians south of the border .

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

He's done a lot with quite a moderate talent. Hopefully he'll know this, feel grateful, and fade away without making a racket.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yes it is.
    Define conversion.
    Define therapy.

There also is no definition of therapist.
    It isn't a regulated profession.
    I asked an actual psychiatrist about this - they are very concerned that there is no definition of where boundaries are. Apparently tons of people think they are trans relative to the number that are - they often have other, recognised sexual/body image issues. So they have to tell people they are probably not trans…
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"@AdamBienkov

I find it interesting just how many people think it is a bad idea to have to prove your right to vote. Are they of the no ID card persuasion? Or is it because they thinks it a vote suppressing trick? Or just not needed?
    You don't need to prove your right to vote with ID, just prove who you are. Something that only requires a signature for postal votes.

If there is systemic multiple voting, then I think it far more likely with postal and proxy voting than in person. What we have is a solution looking for a problem, and a form of voter suppression.

I think the @RCS1000 idea of photographing people without ID a better solution.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"@AdamBienkov

For what it's worth, I currently have no photo ID that would be accepted at a polling station. I'm sceptical about ID cards, and do believe the government's motivation is vote suppression.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,104

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"@AdamBienkov

For me it's because the right to vote is a fundamental right that people have died for. Everyone has the right to vote even (especially) those at the margins of society, those who lead busy or chaotic lives, or those who think that voting is barely worth it. For that reason, the state shouldn't put any unnecessary barriers between voters and the ballot box.
    Since personation is an absolutely marginal problem (unlike postal voting fraud which is a big problem) requiring photographic ID to vote is an unnecessary barrier to voting. We know it's a barrier because trials have shown it stops some people from voting. And we know it's unnecessary because personation is a marginal problem. And we also know that the poor are fundamentally less likely to have photo ID, which should be troubling for anyone who supports equal voting rights, especially as the poor are already less likely to vote.
    If personation were a major problem I would support requiring photo ID, but only if photo ID became free and mandatory for all citizens to ensure that absolutely everyone had it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"@AdamBienkov

You don't need to prove your right to vote with ID, just prove who you are. Something that only requires a signature for postal votes.

If there is systemic multiple voting, then I think it far more likely with postal and proxy voting than in person. What we have is a solution looking for a problem, and a form of voter suppression.

I think the @RCS1000 idea of photographing people without ID a better solution.
    Yes, I didn't mean right to vote. I’d settle for either the polling card, or you prove who you are. I don’t believe it’s about voter suppression, but maybe I’m not cynical enough. Many western democracies require voter ID - are they all suppressing the votes of the poor?
This discussion has been closed.