Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Finally at the 15th attempt a House Speaker is elected – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Foxy said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

The right (both in the us and U.K.) now resemble the fractured, ideological left of the 1970s. The Republican people’s front vs. The people’s front of the republic. It’s a total mess.

Given the fractured ideological left of 2015 to 2020 in the UK rather pot kettle
    The right is worse somehow. On the left this sort of nonsense has always been a thing and is priced in, the right have picked up the infection.

It’s almost as if they have decided to forfeit conservatism in pursuit of factional ideological purity.
    Even if it doesn't work for 2024, the calm efficiency with which Labour have ditched Corbyn, his works and his acolytes after the 2019 fiasco is blooming impressive.

It's not obvious that, if they go down to a famous defeat, the Conservatives will have the people or the will to do the same.
    Labour have spent 13 years in opposition after they lost power in 2010 getting progressively more leftwing ever since Blair left via Brown, then Ed Miliband and culminating in Corbyn.

The idea they should be applauded for finally electing the relatively centrist Starmer after 4 general election defeats in a row is absurd!
    Maybe applaud is the wrong word, but given just how far they went (not even so much on ideology itself, but in unsuitable leadership), with the full backing of the party members, the swift turnaround is rather impressive, even considering circumstances with their opponents will have helped.

Will the Tories be able to turn things around like that as swiftly? It's not necessarily promising.
    The Tories haven't even lost a general election yet, let alone 4 general elections in a row like Labour when they elected Starmer in 2020.
    Be careful what you wish for…

By the time the Pensioners’ Party returns to power, you might well be a pensioner yourself. By which time they won’t be quite so obsessed with protecting pensioners at everyone else’s expense, as they are now.
    The Tories won all voters over 39 in 2019, not just pensioners. Indeed Blair actually won pensioners in 1997, hence his landslide, pensioners vote more than the young do, Labour dismiss them at their peril
    Nevertheless, spending our nation’s finances on giving non-productive pensioners a 10% rise, then telling nurses that there isn’t money to give them more than 4% when inflation is 10% plus, and there is a dramatic shortage of nurses, and there’s a huge backlog of people waiting for medical treatment, isn’t a sensible way to run the country.
    It was a 10% rise in the state pension only, those who rely just on the state pension have an income less than minimum wage (the minimum wage and other benefits also rose by 10%).

The average nurse has an income at least 3 times the average pensioner on just a state pension. As I have said before I don't have a problem with a 6% rise for nurses in line with the average income rise but no more
    I sort of half agree and half disagree with both you and Ian on this one. I agree with the higher pensioners rise for the reason you give at least until the state pension is at a more reasonable level for those that have to rely on it. I would like the rest of us see it taxed away a bit more.

Re the nurses I would also normally agree as we don't want to start pay rise driven inflation, BUT if we have a shortage of nurses doesn't market forces dictate we should pay them more. Isn't that what a good conservative would do and we don't want the NHS collapsing (as it appears to be doing).
    Also. Pay rises can't drive inflation if they are below inflation.
    No one is expecting, not even nurses themselves, an above inflation pay rise.
    The only examples of possible inflationary pay rises I can think of are in the private sector.
    The RCN wants a 19% pay rise
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/nurses-will-strike-again-next-year-nhs/
    The RCN leader said yesterday they would settle for 10%, which is below inflation.

https://www.independentnurse.co.uk/news/rcn-says-it-could-accept-10-pay-rise/249368/

So they are showing some signs of compromise which is a good sign.

The govt would really be doing themselves a big favour sorting out the Nurses pay award.
    Good to see realism kicking in, though it's up to the government to respond.

Where's the line though? Just nurses? Nurses and junior doctors? What about teachers? (There was a 30k starting salary in the 2019 Conservative manifesto, which has rather been overtaken by events).

Everyone except train drivers?
    Economists have been calling the governments position economically illiterate, negotiating and settling with the public sector WONT prolong the inflation pain. It’s been a stupid political error by the Sunak government. Fall in incomes is by far the bigger threat to Tory seats than inflation.

https://news.sky.com/story/rishi-sunak-says-public-sector-pay-rises-will-fuel-inflation-economists-say-they-wont-12779761

The Tories who made this decision to surpress incomes, and be known as income surpressers, are not just economically illiterate but politically Illiterate too. Put simply, they are idiots.

Rishi Sunak’s horrendous record as chancellor, not being on the ball, missing so many things, like the billions of fraud on his watch, making idiot decisions like eat out to help out, has continued into number 10. The teams around him are not up to it. Cabinet meetings and business manager meetings under Sunak are mad hatters having a tea party.
    The main reason for high inflation is the sanctions and restricted food and energy supplies due to the Ukraine war.

Pushing up wages too high will just lead to an inflationary wage spiral and bigger deficit
    No it would just mean voters might think the Government care about them - the fact this Government seem to wish for people to just become poorer to the extent many have to use food banks means a lot of people won’t be voting Tory for many years to come.

Which is why the Tory’s now sit on 25% of votes while Labour seem comfortably in the 40%s
    Absolutely spot on Eek. How come it takes me paragraphs to say what you said in two sentences.

This horrendous mistake by the Sunak government makes the Tories look like they don’t care about incomes. The inflation problem is about to devour itself, somehow the Tories have made themselves look unnecessarily intransigent and unbothered by suppressed incomes, going into the next general election and as you wisely point out those following.

They have lost voters these last few weeks they are not getting back in generations.

Starmer doesn’t even need a vision, big idea or even a manifesto now the Sunak government have cocked this up.

And here’s the kicker - Boris would not have made these mistakes, his politics would not have made this humungoose mistake. A whole load of other mistakes maybe, but not this one. Nor would Lady Thatcher and her governments have ignored the fall in household incomes in the same way Sunak and Hunt have painted themselves as the enemy of household incomes.
    Johnson was noted for his blatant U turns, even when they left the minister on the daily round looking like a prat. A mendacious, lazy clown, but one with very attuned electoral antennae.
    I wonder how Johnson and Sunak would have resolved their creative difference?
    Bung the cost on the Heath/Social Care levy?
  • franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    Where would one want to be through the year; I cannot understand the obsession with rushing around

My choices:
    January - The Reform Club, Pall Mall
    February - The Reform Club, Pall Mall
    March - The Reform Club, Pall Mall
    April - The Reform Club, Pall Mall
    May, June, July, August, September, October, November - ditto
    December - Eilat for some winter sunshine and to avoid Christmas
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,169

Foxy said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

The right (both in the us and U.K.) now resemble the fractured, ideological left of the 1970s. The Republican people’s front vs. The people’s front of the republic. It’s a total mess.

Given the fractured ideological left of 2015 to 2020 in the UK rather pot kettle
    The right is worse somehow. On the left this sort of nonsense has always been a thing and is priced in, the right have picked up the infection.

It’s almost as if they have decided to forfeit conservatism in pursuit of factional ideological purity.
    Even if it doesn't work for 2024, the calm efficiency with which Labour have ditched Corbyn, his works and his acolytes after the 2019 fiasco is blooming impressive.

It's not obvious that, if they go down to a famous defeat, the Conservatives will have the people or the will to do the same.
    Labour have spent 13 years in opposition after they lost power in 2010 getting progressively more leftwing ever since Blair left via Brown, then Ed Miliband and culminating in Corbyn.

The idea they should be applauded for finally electing the relatively centrist Starmer after 4 general election defeats in a row is absurd!
    Maybe applaud is the wrong word, but given just how far they went (not even so much on ideology itself, but in unsuitable leadership), with the full backing of the party members, the swift turnaround is rather impressive, even considering circumstances with their opponents will have helped.

Will the Tories be able to turn things around like that as swiftly? It's not necessarily promising.
    The Tories haven't even lost a general election yet, let alone 4 general elections in a row like Labour when they elected Starmer in 2020.

By the time the Pensioners’ Party returns to power, you might well be a pensioner yourself. By which time they won’t be quite so obsessed with protecting pensioners at everyone else’s expense, as they are now.
    The Tories won all voters over 39 in 2019, not just pensioners. Indeed Blair actually won pensioners in 1997, hence his landslide, pensioners vote more than the young do, Labour dismiss them at their peril
    Nevertheless, spending our nation’s finances on giving non-productive pensioners a 10% rise, then telling nurses that there isn’t money to give them more than 4% when inflation is 10% plus, and there is a dramatic shortage of nurses, and there’s a huge backlog of people waiting for medical treatment, isn’t a sensible way to run the country.
    It was a 10% rise in the state pension only, those who rely just on the state pension have an income less than minimum wage (the minimum wage and other benefits also rose by 10%).

The average nurse has an income at least 3 times the average pensioner on just a state pension. As I have said before I don't have a problem with a 6% rise for nurses in line with the average income rise but no more
    I sort of half agree and half disagree with both you and Ian on this one. I agree with the higher pensioners rise for the reason you give at least until the state pension is at a more reasonable level for those that have to rely on it. I would like the rest of us see it taxed away a bit more.

Re the nurses I would also normally agree as we don't want to start pay rise driven inflation, BUT if we have a shortage of nurses doesn't market forces dictate we should pay them more. Isn't that what a good conservative would do and we don't want the NHS collapsing (as it appears to be doing).
    The only examples of possible inflationary pay rises I can think of are in the private sector.
    The RCN leader said yesterday they would settle for 10%, which is below inflation.

https://www.independentnurse.co.uk/news/rcn-says-it-could-accept-10-pay-rise/249368/

The govt would really be doing themselves a big favour sorting out the Nurses pay award.

Where's the line though? Just nurses? Nurses and junior doctors? What about teachers? (There was a 30k starting salary in the 2019 Conservative manifesto, which has rather been overtaken by events).

Economists have been calling the governments position economically illiterate, negotiating and settling with the public sector WONT prolong the inflation pain. It’s been a stupid political error by the Sunak government. Fall in incomes is by far the bigger threat to Tory seats than inflation.

https://news.sky.com/story/rishi-sunak-says-public-sector-pay-rises-will-fuel-inflation-economists-say-they-wont-12779761

The Tories who made this decision to surpress incomes, and be known as income surpressers, are not just economically illiterate but politically Illiterate too. Put simply, they are idiots.

Rishi Sunak’s horrendous record as chancellor, not being on the ball, missing so many things, like the billions of fraud on his watch, making idiot decisions like eat out to help out, has continued into number 10. The teams around him are not up to it. Cabinet meetings and business manager meetings under Sunak are mad hatters having a tea party.
    The main reason for high inflation is the sanctions and restricted food and energy supplies due to the Ukraine war.

Pushing up wages too high will just lead to an inflationary wage spiral and bigger deficit
    No it would just mean voters might think the Government care about them - the fact this Government seem to wish for people to just become poorer to the extent many have to use food banks means a lot of people won’t be voting Tory for many years to come.

Which is why the Tory’s now sit on 25% of votes while Labour seem comfortably in the 40%s
    Absolutely spot on Eek. How come it takes me paragraphs to say what you said in two sentences.

This horrendous mistake by the Sunak government makes the Tories look like they don’t care about incomes. The inflation problem is about to devour itself, somehow the Tories have made themselves look unnecessarily intransigent and unbothered by suppressed incomes, going into the next general election and as you wisely point out those following.

They have lost voters these last few weeks they are not getting back in generations.

Starmer doesn’t even need a vision, big idea or even a manifesto now the Sunak government have cocked this up.

And here’s the kicker - Boris would not have made these mistakes, his politics would not have made this humungoose mistake. A whole load of other mistakes maybe, but not this one. Nor would Lady Thatcher and her governments have ignored the fall in household incomes in the same way Sunak and Hunt have painted themselves as the enemy of household incomes.
    Johnson was noted for his blatant U turns, even when they left the minister on the daily round looking like a prat. A mendacious, lazy clown, but one with very attuned electoral antennae.
    I wonder how Johnson and Sunak would have resolved their creative difference?
    Bung the cost on the Heath/Social Care levy?
    Repealing employee NI and increasing the headline income tax rate by 10% would do the trick.
    TimS said:

franklyn said:

Where would one want to be through the year; I cannot understand the obsession with rushing around

My choices:

If you spend that much time at the reform club shouldn’t you by rights be setting off in September with your manservant to see if you can circumnavigate the globe in 80 days?
    It was the 150th Anniversary of the publication of Jules Verne's book this year, and the club had a splendid exhibition, and a wonderful dinner to celebrate.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    My first interview after graduating in 1966 was at the the Reform Club.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited January 2023
    I know its total anecdata, and probably selection bias on my behalf, but I've started to see quite a few items in the supermarkets that had rocketed in price have reached a peak and now actually begun to fall back a bit (outside of any special offers). Still higher than before the surge, but at least the trend on them feels slightly more positive.

How much that's borne out on average is a bigger question -probably plenty of items I'm not buying still going up steeply - but interesting to note.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884

I know its total anecdata, and probably selection bias on my behalf, but I've started to see quite a few items in the supermarkets that had rocketed in price have reached a peak and now actually begun to fall back a bit (outside of any special offers). Still higher than before the surge, but at least the trend on them feels slightly more positive.

How much that's borne out on average is a bigger question -probably plenty of items I'm not buying still going up steeply - but interesting to note.

One pint of milk in our Campus CO-OP went from about 70p before Christmas to £1.11 this week.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    franklyn said:

TimS said:

franklyn said:

My choices:

If you spend that much time at the reform club shouldn’t you by rights be setting off in September with your manservant to see if you can circumnavigate the globe in 80 days?
    It was the 150th Anniversary of the publication of Jules Verne's book this year, and the club had a splendid exhibition, and a wonderful dinner to celebrate.
    I would hope so with annual membership fees of £1500 a year

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/03/revolt-reform-club-chief-changes
    For any of you who enjoyed my award winning book Lifeline, my new book 'The Man Who Turned Blue' has just been published.
    It is an optimistic book, intended to produce a smile in these miserable times. Available in paperback or Kindle, the details are here.
    www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BQN93H7Q?ref=em_1p_0_ti&ref_=pe_2443661_764344961
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,804
    franklyn said:

My choices:

Not stopping by the Madras Club in Chennai for some Mulligatawny soup?

One pint of milk in our Campus CO-OP went from about 70p before Christmas to £1.11 this week.
    Massive supersized tub of Lurpak in Lidl today for £5.75

And “soft fruity red wine” for cooking in tomorrows gravy, £3.25.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,025
    TimS said:

Dairy seems to have had the biggest price spikes.

I'm not quite sure of the economics behind this, presumably feed for cattle, heating/lighting in winter etc and wage inflation.

TimS said:

I'm not quite sure of the economics behind this, presumably feed for cattle, heating/lighting in winter etc and wage inflation.
    Believe me the Lurpak is down. That sized tub was £7 last year.

I think some products are flatlining or declining now.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    TimS said:

TimS said:

So many people on diets and veganuary that stock becomes surplus may be part of it too.
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

So many people on diets and veganuary that stock becomes surplus may be part of it too.
    That might reflect the circles in which you mix.

I know nobody doing veganuary; I do know a few doing dry January.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,003
    TimS said:

franklyn said:

My choices:

I can't imagine anything worse than spending most of the year in some overly stuffy old building in an overcrowded dingy city, surrounded by crusty snobbish types, with English weather.

I don't know where my ideal place would be, but the right mix of amenities nearby with low population density, subtropical weather and friendly easy-going people.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,769

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

I was thinking the other day where would I live if I could choose anywhere, with no ties from job or family and friends. I decided I’d want variety. A different place each month. Short haul. Something like:

January canaries
    February Alpujarras
    March Alps
    April burgundy
    May Scottish highlands
    June London
    July Stockholm archipelago
    August Galicia
    September Crete
    October Georgia
    November Morocco
    December Bavaria

January: Bangkok
    February: Maldives
    March: Basque and Catalan Pyrenees
    April: Languedoc
    May: Dolomites
    June: northern Russia
    July: London and Scotland
    August: Austria/Switzerland
    September: Pelion Greece
    October: Japan
    November: Louisiana
    December: London and Luxor
    You are a one man AGW wave, all on your own.
    I would be perfectly happy to live in Britain all the time, albeit with a bit of a winter sun break somewhere sunny for a few weeks. I don't want to live out of suitcase.

Yes, me too. I was pondering this challenge, and the best I've come up with is:
    Jan-Dec: Windermere.

I would, if money were no object, have several holidays a year - winter snow, Cornwall, Scotland, city break, exotic trip - but they'd be holidays, not relocations. I'm usually ready to come home after a week. (Though I can stretch a trip to the southwest out to a week and a half.)

Isle of Wight, London for brief periods, Norfolk, The Peak District, The South Hams, East Leicestershire, Scotland (winter excepted). There are lots of parts of the country that I could happily live.
    Oh, me too. Lake District, York, the Yorkshire Dales, Northumberland, Ilkley, North Lancashire, Sheffield, Cheshire, Edinburgh. But I wouldn't move around. I'd settle, get to know people, put down roots...
    Which, as it happens, is what I've done in Manchester. Which ranks pretty highly. And also happens to be where family and friends are. Things have worked out pretty well, all things considered.
    It's taken a few years but my wife has got me back on her turf in West Cork. The family here hasn't so much as put down roots, as laid down geological deposits. I don't have all the details yet, but part of the family has been on the same patch of land for at least one hundred and twenty years.

Given how bad the famine was in these parts it's
    possible that there's been some deliberate forgetting of the family history before that. Wouldn't want to ask too many questions about
    how the family survived and ended up with land when so many starved to death and emigrated.
    Whig economists like Trevelyan were not wrong about the need for land reform, emigration, and the consolidation of landholdings to provide a decent living for farmers.

What was awful was that they thought that mass starvation was a good way of achieving this.

• TimS said:

I was thinking the other day where would I live if I could choose anywhere, with no ties from job or family and friends. I decided I’d want variety. A different place each month. Short haul. Something like:

January canaries
    February Alpujarras
    March Alps
    April burgundy
    May Scottish highlands
    June London
    July Stockholm archipelago
    August Galicia
    September Crete
    October Georgia
    November Morocco
    December Bavaria

The Highlands in May is getting into the midge season. I think I would prefer late September or even October.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,769
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

You say ‘economists’ as if it’s a uniform view and it is not. There are many economists who do say high pay rises would help fuel, or sustain, inflation.

Indeed the bounce in the US markets Friday was partly down to a reduction in the rate of wage growth. Seen as helping to bring inflation under control.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-06/fed-seen-leaning-toward-smaller-hikes-after-wage-growth-cools
    In general, promising people reductions in real wages does not tend to enhance political popularity.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Just back from a gig, the one act I never thought would show up in the sandpit - Jimmy Carr!

Very very funny, go and see his tour if you get the chance. Absolutely nothing off limits, and crying with laughter for the first half an hour.

One PG joke you can tell your kids: “My pronouns are he, he, he, because I self-identify as a comedian!”

Foxy said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Neither for me either, though both are a thing.

About 500 000 sign up for veganuary, though who knows how many stick to it.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

I think you'd get far more at Lent.

January is an awful month to do it.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Quite separate from the actual merits of it or otherwise, veganuary is a horrible word.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704

Foxy said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Yeah, we are both doing dry January. Always do.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

I think you'd get far more at Lent.

January is an awful month to do it.
    Same with dry January. I understand the desire to cut back after the holiday excesses, but grey drizzly January with taxes and bills to pay, without a drink every now and then is a pretty poor prospect. Tough on pubs too.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

You know that 19% is a bargaining device. You do so because enough posters have told you on here.

You are either not too bright or disingenuous if you believe otherwise. I suspect the latter.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    Taz said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Yeah, we are both doing dry January. Always do.
    I am doing a cut down a little bit January
This discussion has been closed.