Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Views of Brexit – the age and gender splits – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,501
    Foxy said:

once again England meet an elite team and lose -

Except this time they were really good, and on balance of things, really should have won. This wasn't 90s England, hoofing it around though, was it.
    well they lost again to an elite team .They did not deserve to win anyway- got 2 penalties did not look like scoring in open play
    Loris did a couple of great saves. Pickford did at least one too.
    He did; no slow loris, that one.
  • Options
    Anyhow we stayed in longer than Germany, and that’s the only thing that matters, right?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,298
    edited December 2022
    TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ok, now is the traditional time to unleash the conspiracy theories.

My main one is that France defended well and England failed to capitalise on their pressure, especially with a missed penalty.
    Missed the start, are England still taking the knee?
    No doubt Woke has destroyed the fighting spirit of ar lads will be one theory..
    I very much doubt that will be anyone’s theory.
    Weren't you here when England lost on penalties to Italy? That was very much a theory proposed by at least one multi monikered PBer.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    TimS said:

Taz said:

a gallant loser is just a loser.

Our bipolar attitude to England football makes its predictable appearance every 2 years. England can be only terrible or world beating,

The truth is England is a good team, probably not the best, the top 8 of the world is roughly par and a decent result, and if you compare our recent record with other good teams like Belgium, Netherlands, Argentina, Uruguay, Portugal and various others it’s not out of line with form.
    There is far too prevailing an attitude that anything short of winning the tournament is a failure.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,025
    Yeah. I think we are firmly in the top five in the world now.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    France v Argentina in the final. A tough one. Probably support France.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    edited December 2022
    In my adult lifetime I've seen England win the cricket and rugby world cups, The Ashes after 18 years.

I've seen Liverpool win Champions Leagues, the Premier League, FA Cup, Rumbelows Cup, the UEFA Cup, and the Club World Cup.

I've seen Damon Hill and Sir Lewis Hamilton win F1 titles.

As a sporting experience I've been lucky, England not winning the soccer world cup in my lifetime isn't the end of the world for me.
  • Options

Only saw the final five minutes or thereabouts, but though both England and France played well.

Not that I know squat about tactics, plays, performance but my impression was each side playing hard but tired, at a high but hardly perfect level. Except maybe the French goal tender.

And really warmed to Harry Maguire. Despite NOT knowing he existed before just now.

Don’t worry; focusing on the TV for five whole minutes without an ad break was good going.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited December 2022
    France now 2.2 to lift the cup.

If they beat Morocco, they’ll be narrow favs vs Argentina, or heavily odds on vs Croatia.

Odds look about right to me.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,453

In my adult lifetime I've seen England win the cricket and rugby world cups, The Ashes after 18 years.

I've seen Liverpool win Champions Leagues, the Premier League, FA Cup, Rumbelows Cup, the UEFA Cup, and the Clube World Cup.

As a sporting experience I've been lucky, England not winning the soccer world cup in my lifetime isn't the end of the world for me.

But have you ever met a nice South African?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,215
    Dear @RishiSunak, looking forward to the game tonight. If Les Bleus win (they will!), you’ll wish us luck in the semi-final… right?
    https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/1601605011251032064
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I've seen Liverpool win Champions Leagues, the Premier League, FA Cup, Rumbelows Cup, the UEFA Cup, and the Clube World Cup.

Brilliant song.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Only when I stuck a deckchair up my nose.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,028

The magnificent GB performance in Rio is probably the greatest in my lifetime. That and Stockport County getting promoted back into the league last season.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    Curse of ITV....

The best England have ever played in World Cup football in my lifetime....it was ITV that dunnit....
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,028
    DavidL said:

Against all common sense and rational thought, I have a soft spot for Argentina.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited December 2022
    Ghedebrav said:

The magnificent GB performance in Rio is probably the greatest in my lifetime. That and Stockport County getting promoted back into the league last season.
    my top five sporting experiences only feature two English and one hosted by them-
    Usain Bolt 100m world record
    Tiger Woods holing on the 16th at Augusta (the famous 90 degree turn into the hole)
    Ronnie O sullivan quickest 147
    England winning the world cup cricket (50 over)
    Anything at Cheltenham

First three , out of this world brilliance imo , fourth - so tense , fifth - well who can really beat Cheltenham as a live sporting experience

Tiger woods shot !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJEysanOT7w
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

Saka Motm for me there

Greizmann was immense tonight.
    If you are quick you can get 50/1 Griezmann for Golden Ball with Betway. I've had a nibble. 12.5 with BF.
  • Options
    What went wrong for Harry with that second penalty (other than the fact he missed it?) Overconfidence? The nagging feeling that you're due a miss?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

This sounds like quite a story.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    I’ve cashed out my stake on France, leaving a simple risk free bet. I think 2.2 looks about right, so I should probably fully cash out at fair value, but something is stopping me.

Anyone have any opinion on the 2.2? (~46% chance)

A back or a lay or fair value?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,159
    😞

I don’t know which is worse.

England going out (grim, we had our chance) or reading this shit on PB:

England IS a good team; SOCCER World Cup.

Only on PB.

🤮
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,335

Ghedebrav said:

my top five sporting experiences only feature two English and one hosted by them-
    Tiger Woods holing on the 16th at Augusta (the famous 90 degree turn into the hole)
    Anything at Cheltenham

First three , out of this world brilliance imo , fourth - so tense , fifth - well who can really beat Cheltenham as a live sporting experience
    Rugby World Cup win 2003 (despite atrocious reffing of the scrum).
    The ashes 2005
    The ashes 2010-11
    Cricket 50 over World Cup win
    Swindon winning League 2 with a 5-0 hammering of Port Vale in 2012
  • Options
    ping said:

I’ve cashed out my stake on France, leaving a simple risk free bet. I think 2.2 looks about right, so I should probably fully cash out at fair value, but something is stopping me.

Anyone have any opinion on the 2.2?

I'm sticking with my France 7.2 bet. However, if pushed I'd be laying them at 2.2 rather than buying them at 2.18.

I rarely "cash out".

I think the odds underestimate both Croatia and Morocco, especially the former.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,367
    Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Is there football on tonight? Who’s playing?

Christ, when will this hell end.

There are plenty of people out there who care nothing for football.
    Those people are weirdos and should be stripped of British citizenship.

If an England v France match doesn’t gird your loins then you are a Lib Dem Remoaner.
    Football is the most boring vapid bilge on the planet in my opinion. I doubt you can realistically dub me either a lib dem or remoaner
    You like computer games don't you.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,673
    edited December 2022
    IanB2 said:

Only saw the final five minutes or thereabouts, but though both England and France played well.

Not that I know squat about tactics, plays, performance but my impression was each side playing hard but tired, at a high but hardly perfect level. Except maybe the French goal tender.

And really warmed to Harry Maguire. Despite NOT knowing he existed before just now.

Don’t worry; focusing on the TV for five whole minutes without an ad break was good going.
    Viewed it via free, over-the-air broadcast by local Fox affiliate, through the grace and favor of Rupert Murdoch.
  • Options

😞

I don’t know which is worse.

England going out (grim, we had our chance) or reading this shit on PB:

England IS a good team; SOCCER World Cup.

Only on PB.

🤮

Just soccer it to 'em.
  • Options

Brilliant song.
    Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

Against all common sense and rational thought, I have a soft spot for Argentina.
    I don’t. But Messi, ah he is a different story.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

ping said:

Anyone have any opinion on the 2.2?

I'm sticking with my France 7.2 bet. However, if pushed I'd be laying them at 2.2 rather than buying them at 2.18.

I rarely "cash out".

I think the odds underestimate both Croatia and Morocco, especially the former.
    Cheers.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Curse of ITV....

The best England have ever played in World Cup football in my lifetime....it was ITV that dunnit....

The curse of ITV is bullshit and really annoying to read about over and again on PB. We won last week on ITV and also won a semifinal on ITV.

We lost tonight because we didn’t impress our advantage when we had it.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

Anything at Cheltenham

The ashes 2005
    The ashes 2010-11
    For me

1) Liverpool 4 - 0 Barcelona

2) The miracle of Istanbul

3) 2019 cricket world cup final

4) 2003 Rugby world cup final

Joint 5) Sir Lewis Hamilton's first F1 title/2005 Ashes
  • Options
    ping said:

its not a criticism and you can do what you like with your own money obviously but if you bet why cash out (and hence not have a bet ) going into the semi finals - isnt the whole point of betting to make it more exciting ? (not bail out before the end)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,745

What went wrong for Harry with that second penalty (other than the fact he missed it?) Overconfidence? The nagging feeling that you're due a miss?

On the assumption that Lloris would dive the right way he had to make sure it was out of reach. The top corner is the perfect place for a penalty, but skying it is the risk, which is my so many penalties are hit low.

If I were a coach I'd get the penalty takers to just keep practicing top corner, top corner, top corner until they have a 95% success rate. Otherwise you don't take a spot kick.
  • Options

Pundits view was that as he chose the same place as the first, he tried to hit it harder in case Loris went that way, leant back and missed.
    He’s a superb penalty taker, and I think it would be hard to stop him taking the second one after he’d scored the first, but there is a case for having someone else take it. We wouldn’t be saying this if he’d scored, of course.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

I do too. Legacy of my adoration of Maradona, who really was the GOAT.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

There's no law saying you can't just, y'know, watch it and enjoy good football* without taking sides.

*I am told there is such a thing, although personally I find it boring.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

He was a fucking cheat and druggie.

He is not the GOAT.
  • Options

ping said:

its not a criticism and you can do what you like with your own money obviously but if you bet why cash out (and hence not have a bet ) going into the semi finals - isnt the whole point of betting to make it more exciting ? (not bail out before the end)
    Putting excitement aside, one should be betting on books which are close to 100%.

Say you place a bet on a 99% book and your bet is looking good. "Cashing Out" is really just a separate contrary bet and if the book is under 100% you are, in effect, paying twice.
  • Options

Pundits view was that as he chose the same place as the first, he tried to hit it harder in case Loris went that way, leant back and missed.
    He’s a superb penalty taker, and I think it would be hard to stop him taking the second one after he’d scored the first, but there is a case for having someone else take it. We wouldn’t be saying this if he’d scored, of course.
    I knew he’d miss it and said so in front of all my friends and family. I also said he shouldn’t try to beat Lloris that way and blast it straight down the middle. If only he could have heard me.

I’m gutted. We had our chance tonight and didn’t take it.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

He is not the GOAT.
    Flawed human being, but the greatest footballer of all time!
  • Options
    edited December 2022

ping said:

No. I mean people bet for all sorts of reasons, and that’s fine by me. But I bet to make money.

98% of punters lose money, long term.

2% win, long term. And they do that by understanding/developing edges, aiming for +ev on each bet.

When the odds on something I’ve bet on recalibrate and I no longer think the outcome is more likely than the new odds, I’ll cashout. (Warning - when I say cashout, it’s shorthand for laying a back bet on betfair, or vice versa. I almost never use bookies “cashouts” as they cream off an overround).
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

He is not the GOAT.
    i think Messi and Ronaldo were better imo
  • Options
    M45M45 Posts: 216
    edited December 2022
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Brilliant song.
    Is it?

There's 54 countries in Africa. Substitute any other one, and think how it sounds. Then stop yourself saying Yebbut it's not racist, because it's only about *white* South Africans. Then do a bit of research on Winnie "necklace" Mandela, and how curiously reluctant dear old Mandible or whatever he was called was to get rid of her, after the evidence of her political methods became indisputable.
  • Options

I knew he’d miss it and said so in front of all my friends and family. I also said he shouldn’t try to beat Lloris that way and blast it straight down the middle. If only he could have heard me.

The only crumb of comfort I’m taking from tonight is that at least we didn’t go out on penalties.

Except we kinda did…

But generally if we have to go out, I much prefer to lose in normal play.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Two cracking semi-finals await. And there have been four belting quarters too - loads of drama.

I’ve seen England go out of tournaments all my life. Sometimes it’s embarrassing and frustrating. Sometimes you shrug it off and say ‘ah well’. We’re a second tier nation, albeit at the high end, and with a fair wind a tournament isn’t inconceivable, but not especially likely. I just want to see them play well, with skill and heart. I don’t have too many complaints here.

This is a good team under a good manager. I'd have been pretty confident of winning the tournament if we'd have got through that. Almost rather France had outclassed us. Being on the wrong side of a 50/50 feels more of a downer oddly. Feels as agonisingly close as 2018.
  • Options
    ping said:

ping said:

No. I mean people bet for all sorts of reasons, and that’s fine by me. But I bet to make money.

2% win, long term. And they do that by understanding/developing edges, aiming for +ev on each bet.

When the odds on something I’ve bet on recalibrate and I no longer think the outcome is more likely than the new odds, I’ll cashout. (Warning - when I say cash out, it’s shorthand for laying a back bet on betfair, or vice versa. I almost never use bookies cashouts, as they cream off an overround).
    fair enough but so many people "cash out" before the end which to me negates the point of betting in the first place for most people - ie some skin in the game - to the end
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

He is not the GOAT.
    2nd to Messi but Messi needs this WC to end the debate.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Ghedebrav said:

Two cracking semi-finals await. And there have been four belting quarters too - loads of drama.

I’ve seen England go out of tournaments all my life. Sometimes it’s embarrassing and frustrating. Sometimes you shrug it off and say ‘ah well’. We’re a second tier nation, albeit at the high end, and with a fair wind a tournament isn’t inconceivable, but not especially likely. I just want to see them play well, with skill and heart. I don’t have too many complaints here.

This is a good team under a good manager. I'd have been pretty confident of winning the tournament if we'd have got through that. Almost rather France had outclassed us. Being on the wrong side of a 50/50 feels more of a downer oddly. Feels as agonisingly close as 2018.
    2018 we had the chance in the first half to put the game to bed, and we didn’t. After that we faded, Croatia grew into it, and sadly deserved their win.
    Tonight we struggled a bit to get going first half, gave up a goal. Then second half we grew into it, got the equaliser and were looking more likely until the second French goal. Then we blew the big chance.
    I don’t know how it would have gone if we’d got to 2-2, but at least we were going for it.
  • Options
    M45M45 Posts: 216
    ping said:

ping said:

When the odds on something I’ve bet on recalibrate and I no longer think the outcome is more likely than the new odds, I’ll cashout. (Warning - when I say cash out, it’s shorthand for laying a back bet on betfair, or vice versa. I almost never use bookies “cashouts” as they cream off an overround).
    isam, a seriously sharp punter sadly no longer with us, disclosed his long term records and made 2% over time. You can get 4% in a deposit account... If I kept records I would probably stop betting altogether. I just lose affordably by limiting myself to £10 stakes. I am £22 up on this WC, with a huge free bet assist (there have been games where I have backed all 3 results).

Bad day today, on Portugal and the draw, and France and the draw.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

He is not the GOAT.
    Not even close. Just two considerations:

1) They played in great teams. Maradona didn’t. He took a mediocre Argentina side to victory in 1986, and drove Napoli, a team who’d never won anything, and were heading for relegation when he joined, to twice winning what was then the top league in the world.

2) He had none of the protection from referees that is now afforded to top players.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

He is not the GOAT.
    He's a Sheffield United reject.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,595

In a split second, out of the corner of his eye, Kane saw Lloris going the right way. So he instantly decided he needed to hit it harder and higher. He succeeded, but.....
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

He is not the GOAT.

1) They played in great teams. Maradona didn’t. He took a mediocre Argentina side to victory in 1986, and drove Napoli, a team who’d never won anything, and were heading for relegation when he joined, to twice winning what was then the top league in the world.

2) He had none of the protection from referees that is now afforded to top players.
    i beg to differ -
  • Options

The only crumb of comfort I’m taking from tonight is that at least we didn’t go out on penalties.

Except we kinda did…

But generally if we have to go out, I much prefer to lose in normal play.
    I won plenty of money and would have won much more if we’d lost on pens!

• Options
    Despite all the hype, I thought Foden rather went missing tonight. Nothing like the impact of Saka.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,820

Ghedebrav said:

Anything at Cheltenham

The ashes 2005
    The ashes 2010-11
    For me

2003 Rugby World Cup final drop kick remains the best national sporting moment of my lifetime.
  • Options

In a split second, out of the corner of his eye, Kane saw Lloris going the right way. So he instantly decided he needed to hit it harder and higher. He succeeded, but.....
    yes that makes the difference between good penalty takers and GOAT penalty takers (who can adjust in a split split second to still score - ie messi or Le Tissier )
  • Options

He didn't do what Messi did yesterday. 1st pen top right corner. 2nd pen he intuits the goalie thinks the same is coming, Messi shapes as if he's doing it, but instead strokes it along the deck the other way. Ball in net. Goalie in a heap in the other corner.

But that was Messi.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,329
    Driver said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

Our bipolar attitude to England football makes its predictable appearance every 2 years. England can be only terrible or world beating,

The truth is England is a good team, probably not the best, the top 8 of the world is roughly par and a decent result, and if you compare our recent record with other good teams like Belgium, Netherlands, Argentina, Uruguay, Portugal and various others it’s not out of line with form.
    There is far too prevailing an attitude that anything short of winning the tournament is a failure.
    It's ok to narrowly go out to a good French team in the quarter finals. But it continues England's unfortunate record of never getting past a top team in the knockout stages of a major tournament on foreign soil.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Anything at Cheltenham

The ashes 2005
    The ashes 2010-11
    For me

2003 Rugby World Cup final drop kick remains the best national sporting moment of my lifetime.
    And should never have happened. The English scrum was (legally) destroying the Aussies yet somehow the ref pinged them about five times, and so the game went to extra time. The rest is history. Tbf it was probably worth it for that moment. I bought my mum an alarm clock radio that played the commentary to wake you up. Classic.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    M45 said:

ping said:

ping said:

When the odds on something I’ve bet on recalibrate and I no longer think the outcome is more likely than the new odds, I’ll cashout. (Warning - when I say cash out, it’s shorthand for laying a back bet on betfair, or vice versa. I almost never use bookies “cashouts” as they cream off an overround).
    isam, a seriously sharp punter sadly no longer with us, disclosed his long term records and made 2% over time. You can get 4% in a deposit account... If I kept records I would probably stop betting altogether. I just lose affordably by limiting myself to £10 stakes. I am £22 up on this WC, with a huge free bet assist (there have been games where I have backed all 3 results).

Bad day today, on Portugal and the draw, and France and the draw.
    If that’s average 2% edge on each bet, assuming he can get decent sized stakes on - and find that kind of edge regularly - eg, on one or more matches every weekend, he’ll make a hell of a lot more than the 4% annual interest in a savings account.

Enough to make a living.

His problem is the same problem all of us successful punters have… finding bookies prepared to take a decent sized bet and/or avoiding betfair’s premium charge on long term winning punters.

Bad luck on your bets today. On reflection, the draw probably was a value bet in both games, even if you lost both.
  • Options

yes that makes the difference between good penalty takers and GOAT penalty takers (who can adjust in a split split second to still score - ie messi or Le Tissier )
    The best penalty takers send the keeper the wrong way. Power's not that important. Eg Mario Balotelli.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    kamski said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

It's ok to narrowly go out to a good French team in the quarter finals. But it continues England's unfortunate record of never getting past a top team in the knockout stages of a major tournament on foreign soil.
    We beat Germany in the last World Cup in the knockout stages
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,847

ydoethur said:

Careless, that.
  • Options

kamski said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

Euros, at home…
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited December 2022
    Driver said:

TimS said:

V sad.

I still don’t understand this attitude. It seems oddly parochial in the 21st century.
    What you need to understand is that Dickson is an outright Anglophobe - a true racist.
    People think the SNP's campaign is electorally-focused only, aimed at winning the crucial extra few percent of Scottish voteshare that they need. But I suspect that's only Prong 1 of their public relations, targeted at one particular market segment.

Prong 2 isn't targeted at the electorate at all, or even at business. It's targeted at the commanding heights of the British state (including Scots there - why not?), and the idea is to stimulate them into having the feeling that it would be better to be rid of the sight of Scotland altogether, forever.

It's always possible to annoy a person past their limit, until they just tell you to f*** off.

Matthew Hancock did us a favour with his Michelle Mone revelations. He may also have done us a favour by revealing that Nicola Sturgeon couldn't be trusted to keep her trap shut about what she'd heard in Cobra meetings. For the time being there are some topics that she has to be invited to meetings about. But if Scotland became independent, British cabinet ministers and senior civil servants would hardly ever have to meet her again - or any similar scumbag figure from north of the border who prefers to put Party interests, and regional admini$trative interests, ahead of British national security.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577
    Gareth Southgate, and Rishi Sunak, letters on my desk tomorrow please.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    kamski said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

Only because that is defined ridiculously tightly so it doesn't mean anything.

For a start, for it to be true you have to exclude Belgium in 1990, who were ranked above England.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635
    TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Anything at Cheltenham

The ashes 2005
    The ashes 2010-11
    For me

2005 Ashes series.

Botham's match. 1981.

• Options
    Harry and the team gave it everything but it wasn’t to be. They can hold their heads high tonight.

Best of luck to France in the next round.

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1601700741324103682
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

The best penalty takers send the keeper the wrong way. Power's not that important. Eg Mario Balotelli.
    The best penalty takers can consistently put it in the top corner and don't care what the keeper does.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577
    DJ41 said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

V sad.

I still don’t understand this attitude. It seems oddly parochial in the 21st century.
    What you need to understand is that Dickson is an outright Anglophobe - a true racist.
    People think the SNP's campaign is electorally-focused only, aimed at winning the crucial extra few percent of Scottish voteshare that they need. But I suspect that's only Prong 1 of their public relations, targeted at one particular market segment.

Prong 2 isn't targeted at the electorate at all, or even at business. It's targeted at the commanding heights of the British state (including Scots there - why not?), and the idea is to stimulate them into having the feeling that it would be better to be rid of the sight of Scotland altogether, forever.

It's always possible to annoy a person past their limit, until they just tell you to f*** off.

Matthew Hancock did us a favour with his Michelle Mone revelations. He may also have done us a favour by revealing that Nicola Sturgeon couldn't be trusted to keep her trap shut about what she'd heard in Cobra meetings. For the time being there are some topics that she has to be invited to meetings about. But if Scotland became independent, British cabinet ministers and senior civil servants would hardly ever have to meet her again - or any similar scumbag figure from north of the border who prefers to put Party interests, and regional admini$trative interests, ahead of British national security.

Sticola Nurgeon doing the 110 metre hurdles to announce things first whilst Boris was still rehearsing his speech and checking his tie for ketchup is hardly some sort of great revelation, we could all watch it happening.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,847

Ghedebrav said:

Anything at Cheltenham

The ashes 2005
    The ashes 2010-11
    For me

2005 was the peak.
    F1 and the Ashes.
  • Options

kamski said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

Euros, at home…
    Yes, true. Apologies

• Options
    edited December 2022

Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

He is not the GOAT.

Show me a goal scored by either of the other two to compare with the (less famous) other goal against England and the similar one against Belgium.
    Dribble, balance, strength, finish.
    All with one foot.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Anything at Cheltenham

The ashes 2005
    The ashes 2010-11
    For me

2005 Ashes series.

Botham's match. 1981.

I was at Headingley 1981, and it remains my favourite sporting moment, even beating Leeds Utd's many great days.
    Yes, it was Botham's match, but also Willis's - Australia needed a mere 130 to win after Botham's heroics; all out 111: Willis 8 for 43.
  • Options
    BozzaBozza Posts: 37
    Scott_xP said:

Harry and the team gave it everything but it wasn’t to be. They can hold their heads high tonight.

Rishi misses out on the World Cup spoils, but the Conservative Prime Minister for the 2024 Euros could get a nice little Brucie bonus for the subsequent General Election.
  • Options
    Hope Morocco win 👍
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792

DJ41 said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

V sad.

Sticola Nurgeon doing the 110 metre hurdles to announce things first whilst Boris was still rehearsing his speech and checking his tie for ketchup is hardly some sort of great revelation, we could all watch it happening.
    It wasn't only the leaking, although that's bad enough. It was also what she did at the meetings. "She just wants to look and sound tough, then blame us when her policies don't work." (Hancock.) Mask-wearing in schools.

I believe Hancock on this. She was undermining the work of the committee in a way that if she was a minister of the British government would have led to her exit from office the same day. Next time it could be on something even more serious than Covid.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

But Rishi, can they hold their heads as high as Harry's second penalty?
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

He is not the GOAT.

Yes that Napoli time stands as a big plus for him in any goat debate.

Messi for me but I wouldn't argue too hard against Maradona.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

DavidL said:

He is not the GOAT.
    Pele.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,686
    Bozza said:

Scott_xP said:

Rishi misses out on the World Cup spoils, but the Conservative Prime Minister for the 2024 Euros could get a nice little Brucie bonus for the subsequent General Election.
    Oh for goodness sake everything isn't about politics.
  • Options

kamski said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

Euros, at home…
    Yes, true. Apologies

Neve4 apologise, never explain.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,329
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

Humourless, insincere and cliche ridden. It's like he got Leon's boring AI thing to do it.
    One thing it might actually achieve is to force (allegedly) real humans to up their game if they don't want people to think they are just using a bot.
  • Options

kamski said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

Euros, at home…
    Yes, true. Apologies

I’ll do both. My mind is addled by beer and wine and the horrific sledgehammer of defeat. I’m completely gutted
  • Options

algarkirk said:

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Anything at Cheltenham

The ashes 2005
    The ashes 2010-11
    For me

2005 Ashes series.

Botham's match. 1981.

I was at Headingley 1981, and it remains my favourite sporting moment, even beating Leeds Utd's many great days.
    Yes, it was Botham's match, but also Willis's - Australia needed a mere 130 to win after Botham's heroics; all out 111: Willis 8 for 43.
    You lucky bugger! You and the other 300,000 who were there…

((Joke by the way, I am really jealous of people who saw that in the flesh).
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051

algarkirk said:

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Anything at Cheltenham

The ashes 2005
    The ashes 2010-11
    For me

2005 Ashes series.

Botham's match. 1981.

The six o clock news headlined that day with Englands win....

I was at Old Trafford two weeks later for Botham's imperious century...

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

Macron gets a semi, while Sunak is left feeling flaccid.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Anything at Cheltenham

The ashes 2005
    The ashes 2010-11
    For me

2005 Ashes series.

Botham's match. 1981.

I was at Headingley 2019.
  • Options

kamski said:

Driver said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

Euros, at home…
    Yes, true. Apologies

I’ll do both. My mind is addled by beer and wine and the horrific sledgehammer of defeat. I’m completely gutted
    I’m finding it ok because (a) never expected to get past the French and (b) we played pretty damn well tonight, second half at least.
    Plus £50 quid up on the night…
  • Options

algarkirk said:

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Anything at Cheltenham

The ashes 2005
    The ashes 2010-11
    For me

2005 Ashes series.

Botham's match. 1981.

Great. But I saw Boycott make his 100th 100 at Headingley v Aus in 1977.

That beats yours for pure peak glorious Yorkshireness, I think.
  • Options

Hope Morocco win 👍

• Options
    kjh said:

Bozza said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh for goodness sake everything isn't about politics.
    On the other hand. The recent, otherwise inexplicable Tory recovery could have been anticipation that we were going to win it all...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,842
    Maddison comes back without an injury or a minute on the pitch.

Can I go back to jeering Kane now?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Meanwhile, in other news…. Kwasi Kwarteng has admitted he and Liz Truss “got carried away” when they wrote the disastrous mini-budget that led to both of them leaving their jobs just weeks after they entered Downing Street.

“People got carried away, myself included,” Kwarteng told the Financial Times. “There was no tactical subtlety whatsoever. There was a brief moment and the people in charge, myself included, blew it.”
  • Options

algarkirk said:

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Anything at Cheltenham

The ashes 2005
    The ashes 2010-11
    For me

2005 Ashes series.

Botham's match. 1981.

I was at Headingley 2019.
    Leeds Rhinos v Bradford Bulls?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Anything at Cheltenham

The ashes 2005
    The ashes 2010-11
    For me

2005 Ashes series.

Botham's match. 1981.

Great. But I saw Boycott make his 100th 100 at Headingley v Aus in 1977.

That beats yours for pure peak glorious Yorkshireness, I think.
    Sorry mate, but for the sake of one-upmanship I was at that one as well. An on drive off Greg Chappell, I recall. While I give little away, suffice to say I was raised in Headingley and spent most of the first 20 years of my life there or thereabouts. I've even got Gary Sobers's signature to show for it. Boycott was too much of a miserable **** to offer his.
This discussion has been closed.