Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

An update on the Tory commitment to a high wage economy – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    I wouldn't be very worried about this England side if I were France.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Driver said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

Tories v. Nurses

That’s one sided.

4% is just silly. They are going to have to give way on this to at least 6%, probably 7%. They would honestly be better doing it now with better grace.
    I have been told - whether truthfully or not I do not know - that almost all trusts charge nurses around £200 a month for parking. Plus, that after the first 3,000 miles the mileage rate for community nurses drops from a reasonable 56p per mile to a derisory 25p per mile.

If true, a very very easy win would be to ban trusts from charging staff for parking while they're on shift and upping the mileage rate. The former would increase take home pay by around 15% in the case of any nurse with a car which outside London, Birmingham and Manchester is I would assume the vast majority of them.
    HMRC mileage rates are 45p up to 10k and 25p after that.

Even now fuel in most normal cars is less than 25p per mile (my diesel Corsa is around 15p).
    A diesel Corsa is not a normal car!
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    WillG said:

EPG said:

We integrated computers and the Internet into Western labour markets over the last 40 years. Going from no computer to computer to online is bigger than no chatbot to chatbot. It didn't lead to 50% unemployment or a lack of need for migration.

Firstly, I am not sure that's true. There are many more hours of work activity that can be replaced by chatboxes than computers.

Secondly, it's not just chatboxes. It's automation on a vast scale, from driving to email response to predictive maintenance.

Thirdly, computers still needed a user for each one, whereas now the next wave is machine to machine interfacing.

Fourthly, we are not saying 50% unemployment. We are saying 50% of the population seeing stagnant or declining living standards. Which we are already seeing. It will just get a lot worse.
    If we looked at a 50s office, we might have assumed that contemporary networked computers could have laid everyone else off. Computers and their users are looking after the things that used to be in dozens of workers' books or heads. But that means you can do things with the other workers. Admittedly, in recent years, a lot of those things have been ultra-low-growth tasks in regulatory compliance and lawsuit deterrence.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    DavidL said:

Ok. Bored now.

Yes.

This game is boring.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Kyle Walker doesn't look fit at all, Mbappe will absolutely rinse him.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356

If Sadio Mane was playing in this match England would be out.

Only Mbappe & Dembele to deal with if we get through this match.....
    If.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Goal !!!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,373
    edited December 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Naught but Stateside propaganda!
  • Options
    Magnificent from Jordan Henderson.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Nice.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,806
    Senegal don't really deserve to be 1-0 down.
  • Options
    Bellingham showing some class.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Goalie should have got that.
  • Options
    1-0!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    A France without Pogba, Kante and Benzema.
    Bloody good job I reckon.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    It’s coming home…
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Ok. Bored now.

Yes.

This game is boring.
    Thank you....
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 600

Any other pb-ers been to Senegal? Really nice folk there, I found.

I've been. I actualy preferred The Gambia as I found people friendlier there.
  • Options
    Kane, you are shite....
  • Options

Kane, you are shite....

You can see why he's never won a trophy.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Driver said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

Tories v. Nurses

That’s one sided.

4% is just silly. They are going to have to give way on this to at least 6%, probably 7%. They would honestly be better doing it now with better grace.
    I have been told - whether truthfully or not I do not know - that almost all trusts charge nurses around £200 a month for parking. Plus, that after the first 3,000 miles the mileage rate for community nurses drops from a reasonable 56p per mile to a derisory 25p per mile.

If true, a very very easy win would be to ban trusts from charging staff for parking while they're on shift and upping the mileage rate. The former would increase take home pay by around 15% in the case of any nurse with a car which outside London, Birmingham and Manchester is I would assume the vast majority of them.

Even now fuel in most normal cars is less than 25p per mile (my diesel Corsa is around 15p).
    Only two more popular models than the Corsa. Admittedly the petrol version is less fuel efficient, but not so much that it would be pushing 25p/mile. And that would be true of most normal size cars. Gas-guzzling people carriers might be a different matter, but outside of that I can't see anyone is out of pocket at 25p/mile.
  • Options
    SandraMc said:

Any other pb-ers been to Senegal? Really nice folk there, I found.

I've been. I actualy preferred The Gambia as I found people friendlier there.
    People in Guinea Bissau were great too. Poor as all hell though.

Had a great evening in a bar there teaching the locals "bottoms up"....

And there was one tribal group who used to wear a distinctive red bobble hat!
  • Options
    Betfair have FINALLY paid out on the House!

Fucking whoppee. Only took them a month.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,110
    EPG said:

WillG said:

EPG said:

We integrated computers and the Internet into Western labour markets over the last 40 years. Going from no computer to computer to online is bigger than no chatbot to chatbot. It didn't lead to 50% unemployment or a lack of need for migration.

Firstly, I am not sure that's true. There are many more hours of work activity that can be replaced by chatboxes than computers.

Secondly, it's not just chatboxes. It's automation on a vast scale, from driving to email response to predictive maintenance.

Thirdly, computers still needed a user for each one, whereas now the next wave is machine to machine interfacing.

Fourthly, we are not saying 50% unemployment. We are saying 50% of the population seeing stagnant or declining living standards. Which we are already seeing. It will just get a lot worse.
    If we looked at a 50s office, we might have assumed that contemporary networked computers could have laid everyone else off. Computers and their users are looking after the things that used to be in dozens of workers' books or heads. But that means you can do things with the other workers. Admittedly, in recent years, a lot of those things have been ultra-low-growth tasks in regulatory compliance and lawsuit deterrence.
    But that is the issue. Computers just replaced the first 10-15% of basic tasks. Low skill workers could move on to more of the other 85%. Now we are going to get to the 80th or 90th percentile of those basic tasks. This automation is on top of the previous automation. Low skill workers are squeezed into smaller and smaller chunks of activity. The "other things" that can be done are high skilled management work, integrating systems etc. Many people won't be up to it.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    ydoethur said:

Driver said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

Tories v. Nurses

That’s one sided.

Mileage isn't just for fuel though. There are a lot more costs associated with a car than just the fuel.
  • Options
    What happens if the majority of people decide they don't like what AI is offering?
  • Options
    Another goal !!!
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Is that you, Michael Palin?
  • Options

Kane, you are shite....

Hee hee....
  • Options
    Boom! Exquisite counter attack!
  • Options
    Big big time to score!!
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Kane, you are shite....

Big thank you to you, too.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    We're much better than 'one man band' France.
  • Options
    PBers strike again.....
  • Options

Is that you, Michael Palin?
    I used his close protection guy in Algeria. Some great stories....
  • Options
    Great team goal that.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Driver said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

Tories v. Nurses

That’s one sided.

Mileage isn't just for fuel though. There are a lot more costs associated with a car than just the fuel.
    This is true, but quite a lot of those costs are, if not fixed, not directly proportional to mileage.

Hence the threshold at 10k miles.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The trick is to win whilst your playing poorly.
  • Options

Betfair have FINALLY paid out on the House!

Fucking whoppee. Only took them a month.

Which, in fairness, given the speed the Americans count the votes, is not bad at all.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    edited December 2022
    Lol. Once England get one goal, seems that we tend to do much better
  • Options
    Kane is Able!
  • Options

Kane, you are shite....

Has Leon hacked your account? 2-0!
  • Options
    That first half has to be the greatest bit of larceny against Africans by the Brits since the Empire.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

Great team goal that.

Yes, MM played a blinder.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Well.
    That was one of the least dominant 2-0 halves I've ever seen.
    Bellingham was immense.
  • Options
    My wife came in to see what was going on in the game, and I was just talking about the prospect of extra time when England won the ball back...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,272

For Gareth and the boys…

bad taste I would say
    If you consider that bad taste then you really are an innocent.

You should see some of the memes on my phone.
    I am sure they are bad taste as well. Just because your memes maybe are more in bad taste does not mean this is not=
    Let me introduce you to Poe's Law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law
    Is that similar to Tinky Winkys law and Dipsys law ?
  • Options

That first half has to be the greatest bit of larceny against Africans by the Brits since the Empire.

Benin bronzes had nothing on it.....
  • Options

Lol. Once England get one goal, seems that we tend to do much better

Oh, yeah, and the Iran game was the perfect example. We struggle to break down teams that are playing for 0-0 from kickoff. Break through once and everything changes.
  • Options
    Driver said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

Tories v. Nurses

That’s one sided.

It covers wear and tear too.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Taz said:

For Gareth and the boys…

bad taste I would say
    If you consider that bad taste then you really are an innocent.

You should see some of the memes on my phone.
    I am sure they are bad taste as well. Just because your memes maybe are more in bad taste does not mean this is not=
    Let me introduce you to Poe's Law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law
    Is that similar to Tinky Winkys law and Dipsys law ?
    Nah, it's just La-La!
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,110
    kinabalu said:

Giroud, Mbappe, Dembele, Griezman...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The trick is to win whilst your playing poorly.

It's our only hope!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749
    edited December 2022
    Andy_JS said:

What happens if the majority of people decide they don't like what AI is offering?

I'm sorry Dave I can't do anything about that.
  • Options
    Good goals, bad play. I have to be honest that Brazil, Argentina and France have all looked better than the half I've just seen. England can be better though.
  • Options
    Driver said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

Tories v. Nurses

That’s one sided.

It covers wear and tear too.

Magnificent from Jordan Henderson.

Bellingham made that goal.
  • Options

Kane, you are shite....

Hee hee....
    Rogerdamus would be proud.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,095
    ping said:

I think the tories have lost interest in governing.

the day they made BoZo leader...
  • Options

Good goals, bad play. I have to be honest that Brazil, Argentina and France have all looked better than the half I've just seen. England can be better though.

Argentina have looked pretty dire for long periods. France's defence is just as bad as England's.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

ping said:

Who then won the largest Tory majority since thatcher 🤔
  • Options
    WillG said:

kinabalu said:

Giroud, Mbappe, Dembele, Griezman...
    Yeah, France may be depleted but jeez.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,114
    Scott_xP said:

ping said:

But you told us that under him, we were regarded as the second safest sovereign in the G7…
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    If the Tories really still think the pensioners are their "client vote", I think they're in for a nasty shock.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749

Kane is Able!

Been waiting 3.5 games to post that gem Sunil?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

I disagree. That first goal was very good. There wasn’t a lot Senegal could do about it. England had some shaky moments in that half, but they have the ability to open teams up. France will be very difficult, but they can beat them.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Leon said:

WillG said:

EPG said:

If the 'chatboxes' are accurate, yes. But what happens when they're wrong? If we're @rsing around on the Internet, they're fine. But what happens when we ask them for advice that is (ahem) dangerous?

Take the recipes that Leon was masturbating over earlier (and there's an unpleasant image). Say the AI decided that uncooked kidney beans would be a good part of the recipe?

There are many other examples where an AI *might* provide a good starting point: but you may well need a knowledgeable human in the loop to check that it is right five-nines. Which is exactly the problem autonomous cars have.
    You just don’t get it. You haven’t got the brain for it and you hate change. Meh
    LOL. No. I don't hate change. That's why I worked in tech - and area that is about constant change.

I'll repeat what I've said before: the threat from AI does not come from AI itself. It comes from idiots believing that AI is more capable than it really is, and therefore putting it in charge of things that really matter.

"Computer says yes."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,098
    Chris said:

If the Tories really still think the pensioners are their "client vote", I think they're in for a nasty shock.

They are still
  • Options

Argentina have looked pretty dire for long periods. France's defence is just as bad as England's.
    Yes, but Mbappe. France win.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

If the 'chatboxes' are accurate, yes. But what happens when they're wrong? If we're @rsing around on the Internet, they're fine. But what happens when we ask them for advice that is (ahem) dangerous?

How is that any different from human beings who give out wrong advice all the time? If the error rate by computers is lower they will replace human beings.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,098
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nurses probably deserve more than a 4% payrise but if they get significantly more than the 6% average UK payrise this year then the average taxpayer will be paying them for a bigger rise than they get.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/933075/wage-growth-in-the-uk/

An above inflation payrise and we risk an inflationary wage spiral adding to the inflation pressures from the sanctions and supply restrictions from the Russian Ukrainian war

Why do you hate public servants?

You are reading from Zahawi's hymnsheet. As someone with political ambitions it is not the look you think it is.
    It is not hating public servants to suggest they shouldn’t get more than the 6% average pay rise.

A Tory government is certainly not going to tax private sector workers and pensioners more to give public sector workers a bigger pay rise than they get, especially when most public sector workers vote Labour

It only taxes private sector workers to give pensioners a bigger rise than they get...
    Pensioners reward for voting overwhelmingly Conservative, indeed more so than private sector workers.

Just as Labour taxes private sector workers more to fund its public sector client vote

• Options
    DavidL said:

Yes, but Mbappe. France win.
    Eleven a side. This isn't basketball.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,742
    dixiedean said:

Well.
    Bellingham was immense.

The best player on the pitch. Great move going to Germany, did wonders for his game. Much better than sitting on the bench here.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

ping said:

And had zero interest in governing with it
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Well.
    Bellingham was immense.

The best player on the pitch. Great move going to Germany, did wonders for his game. Much better than sitting on the bench here.
    Although he was always on the field for Birmingham City to be fair. They retired the number 22 after him even though he left at 17.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2022
    Very direct, a lot of long balls from England. Almost like 90's England of a few years' ago ; but Southgate has it in him to get them playing in a more cultured style again ; I suppose he thinks that's what's needed here.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

ping said:

And had zero interest in governing with it
    Well COVID came along.

The Tories picked Boris who was an election winner. You claimed they lost interest in governing by making him leader.

That’s not true given he won a thumping majority.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nurses probably deserve more than a 4% payrise but if they get significantly more than the 6% average UK payrise this year then the average taxpayer will be paying them for a bigger rise than they get.

An above inflation payrise and we risk an inflationary wage spiral adding to the inflation pressures from the sanctions and supply restrictions from the Russian Ukrainian war

You are reading from Zahawi's hymnsheet. As someone with political ambitions it is not the look you think it is.
    It is not hating public servants to suggest they shouldn’t get more than the 6% average pay rise.

A Tory government is certainly not going to tax private sector workers and pensioners more to give public sector workers a bigger pay rise than they get, especially when most public sector workers vote Labour

It only taxes private sector workers to give pensioners a bigger rise than they get...
    Pensioners reward for voting overwhelmingly Conservative, indeed more so than private sector workers.

Just as Labour taxes private sector workers more to fund its public sector client vote

Indeed.
    It would be nice if there were a party who would champion the interests of the private sector. I'd vote for it.
  • Options
    No doubt in my mind. Foden has the worst haircut in modern football. .
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.
    It would be nice if there were a party who would champion the interests of the private sector. I'd vote for it.
    It would be especially nice if there were a party out there that did not see democracy and taxation as a purely transactional arrangement.

Sadly, there never has been.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Well.
    Bellingham was immense.

Although he was always on the field for Birmingham City to be fair. They retired the number 22 after him even though he left at 17.
    Fair enough, but I don't think he would have developed as well as a player in the PL.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Well.
    Bellingham was immense.

Although he was always on the field for Birmingham City to be fair. They named a stand after him even though he left at 17.
    They retired his shirt number when he left. There is no Bellingham a stand there.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    The Senegalese crowd is great.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Well.
    Bellingham was immense.

Fair enough, but I don't think he would have developed as well as a player in the PL.
    No. He had the choice of Man United or Dortmund. His Dad saw what happened with Jaden Sancho.
    He'd have made the occasional League Cup appearance for United.
  • Options
    In amongst all the excitement, you may not have noticed that Harry Kane is one goal away from equalling Wayne Rooney's all-time goalscoring record for England.
  • Options
    Taz said:

The Tories picked Boris who was an election winner. You claimed they lost interest in governing by making him leader.

It is true.

He, as leader, had no interest in governing.

He wanted to be PM. He didn't want to do the job of PM.

What have they done with their "thumping" majority?

The only country in the World to impose economic sanctions on themselves, followed by economic meltdown and much higher taxes.

Oh, wait, they "took back control" of our borders, resulting in thousands more channel migrants.

They haven't a fucking clue how to govern. Perhaps because all of the Tories who knew how to do it were expelled.

By BoZo...

As I said.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879
    edited December 2022
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"taxes".

Do you have a time machine, or are you a member of one of those weird linguistic groups which has no past or present tense?

Whacking fib there. Been a huge fib for all of 12 years. Apart from minor twiddles in Wales.

Edit: this is a direct quote from your post, in case you edit it without admitting it. "Just as Labour taxes private sector workers more to fund its public sector client vote"
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Three
  • Options
    Three !
  • Options
    Are France worried yet?
  • Options
    Three.
    We look a good side when in front.
  • Options
    Brilliant from Foden.
  • Options
    Beautiful pass and Saka did so well to stay onside.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"taxes".

Do you have a time machine, or are you a member of one of those weird linguistic groups which has no past or present tense?

Whacking fib there. Been a huge fib for all of 12 years. Apart from minor twiddles in Wales.
    Well, previously they would have borrowed too.

Not an option now.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    England are very good.
  • Options
    Leon must have a bet on Senegal.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Taz said:

It is true.

He, as leader, had no interest in governing.

He wanted to be PM. He didn't want to do the job of PM.

What have they done with their "thumping" majority?

The only country in the World to impose economic sanctions on themselves, followed by economic meltdown and much higher taxes.

Oh, wait, they "took back control" of our borders, resulting in thousands more channel migrants.

They haven't a fucking clue how to govern. Perhaps because all of the Tories who knew how to do it were expelled.

By BoZo...

As I said.
    Nope. You claimed the Tories gave up on winning by picking Boris.

He won a thumping majority.

He won.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2022
    Certainly great goals ; the level of performance will have to be a lot better against France though.
  • Options
    We want 7, we want 7.....
This discussion has been closed.