Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

An update on the Tory commitment to a high wage economy – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,110

Enjoyed the England game in our local - they were blasting out Three Lions after the game although the publican said if it was up to him they'd be playing IRA songs. That's the beauty of an Irish pub in London I suppose. A great game setting up what promises to be a cracking quarter final match with France. I think the French have the edge but only just. England could still go all the way, although I almost hope they don't as we've stupidly scheduled a long haul flight during the final. This is turning into a really good World Cup.

Irish immigrants are some of the worse for integration in the country. Imagine moving to another country, buying property there, it providing you with a livelihood, and you still hate it so much you support a terrorist group that kills its civilians.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,083
    Don’t grasp how people can make these scheduling fuck ups. Just download the fixtures to your phone calendar and you never make a mistake like that again
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    I think that France will score twice.

So the question is what can we do at the other end.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,719

Enjoyed the England game in our local - they were blasting out Three Lions after the game although the publican said if it was up to him they'd be playing IRA songs. That's the beauty of an Irish pub in London I suppose. A great game setting up what promises to be a cracking quarter final match with France. I think the French have the edge but only just. England could still go all the way, although I almost hope they don't as we've stupidly scheduled a long haul flight during the final. This is turning into a really good World Cup.

Our local is handily close enough to hear the crowd reactions about a minute (or in tonight’s case 3 minutes) before our streaming service catches up with the live action.

So the Wickham Arms roar confirmed we’d scored the second and third, and all I needed to do was watch how they unfolded.

I’m guessing your local might be Skehans given the combination of geography, propensity to show live sport and Irishness?
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,110
    Apparently Real Madrid are considering Rashford as long term replacement for Benzema... that would be amazing to make him a great centre forward.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Also, why should Gordo support England? Fair play to him if he wanted us to lose

As he is a Unionist not SNP
    Do Scots who are neither Unionist or SNP have permission not to support England, or will you send the granny bashers round?
    Personally as I said earlier I would rather we just had one Team GB and NI as we had at the Olympics in the World Cup, we would also be more likely to win it.

Well that’s just silly. We play as separate nations in pretty much all the major team sports and that’s an important part of the home nations’ identity
    We don't at the Olympics, or as the British Lions in rugby or in the GB Davis Cup team at tennis, in F1 riders race as British, even the England cricket team is technically England and Wales not England alone.

I know it will never happen at the World Cup or Euros but I hope we have a GB football team again at the next Olympics
  • Options
    WillG said:

Irish immigrants are some of the worse for integration in the country. Imagine moving to another country, buying property there, it providing you with a livelihood, and you still hate it so much you support a terrorist group that kills its civilians.
    There's about 12 million English people of partly Irish descent, I remember reading somewhere. That speaks to a pretty good record of integration.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Our local is handily close enough to hear the crowd reactions about a minute (or in tonight’s case 3 minutes) before our streaming service catches up with the live action.

So the Wickham Arms roar confirmed we’d scored the second and third, and all I needed to do was watch how they unfolded.

I’m guessing your local might be Skehans given the combination of geography, propensity to show live sport and Irishness?
    That just ruins the experience though. Why not just watch it on telly? We avoided using streaming at our local club for exactly that reason. It’s miles behind
  • Options
    By the way I was reflecting on the discussion a few weeks back about Sunday afternoon pub tracks so I asked ChatGPT. After a couple of false starts with American fall stuff I got him/her on side.

Me: what about Babylon by David Gray?
    AI: "Babylon" by David Gray is a great song for a reflective and nostalgic autumn Sunday afternoon. The lyrics, which describe a longing for a simpler time and place, are also fitting for a reflective autumn mood. Overall, "Babylon" is a classic autumn pub track that is sure to appeal to fans of 1990s music.

Me:
    I agree. What do you think about Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty? Similar vibe?

AI: "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty is another great song for a reflective and nostalgic autumn Sunday afternoon. Released in 1978, this classic rock song has a warm and mellow sound that is perfect for a cozy pub setting. The saxophone solo in the middle of the song is particularly memorable and adds to the song's nostalgic feel. The lyrics, which describe a man who is lost and searching for direction, are also fitting for a reflective autumn mood. Overall, "Baker Street" is a classic autumn pub track that is sure to appeal to fans of 1970s music.

• Options

TimS said:

That just ruins the experience though. Why not just watch it on telly? We avoided using streaming at our local club for exactly that reason. It’s miles behind
    Don’t have a TV aerial or satellite dish, so no choice.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Also, why should Gordo support England? Fair play to him if he wanted us to lose

Do Scots who are neither Unionist or SNP have permission not to support England, or will you send the granny bashers round?
    Personally as I said earlier I would rather we just had one Team GB and NI as we had at the Olympics in the World Cup, we would also be more likely to win it.

Well that’s just silly. We play as separate nations in pretty much all the major team sports and that’s an important part of the home nations’ identity
    We don't at the Olympics, or as the British Lions in rugby or in the GB Davis Cup team at tennis, in F1 riders race as British, even the England cricket team is technically England and Wales not England alone.

I know it will never happen at the World Cup or

Euros but I hope we have a GB football team

again at the next Olympics
    The British and Irish Lions are a touring side who play three games once every four years.

We play as home nations in football, rugby union, cricket, rugby league, hockey (outside the Olympics), netball, golf, Commonwealth Games etc etc etc

It’s not changing. Why the Olympics is GB I have never grasped but it’s a weird outlier.

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2022
    I agree with HYUFD on this. I would actually prefer a GB team also ; not going to happen, though.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Don’t have a TV aerial or satellite dish, so no

choice.
    You can buy a standalone freeview aerial for £20 nowadays apparently

• Options
    I’ve actually started to feel guilty about troubling ChatGPT with silly questions. I found myself starting requests with apologies: “sorry, any chance you could do that again but with a different ending?”
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Big Gord not having his favourite ever football moment surpassed by the look of this pic.

But he's also part of what makes that photo blooming impressive.

Every family has a grumpy old relative who really doesn't want to be there, and Gordo is filling that role perfectly.

Even if it's a cynical photo op, it's a damn good one. Could the Conservatives pull off something similar, even if they wanted to?
    It's subjective, but I could believe most of that photo might genuinely like each other enough to sit down and watch something together. With the Tories in their current state I don't think they could get through five minutes without backstabbing one another somehow.

Heck, Javid and Sunak seemed to be among the few happy in each others' company, and Sunak left him out in the wilderness no problem.
    It's still a bit weird to watch the game with work colleagues on a Sunday, though, isn't it?
    I'm fascinated by Gordon Brown's suit. I guess he's not comfortable in public in anything else, even watching football on a Sunday afternoon.
    back from church? I think he dresses quite nice tbh
  • Options
    WillG said:

Worst

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

WillG said:

There's about 12 million English people of partly Irish descent, I remember reading somewhere. That speaks to a pretty good record of integration.
    I'm proud to be one.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Yes, great guess. The 9th best pub in Britain according to Time Out.
  • Options

I agree with HYUFD on this. I would actually prefer a GB team also ; not going to happen, though.

Ironically a GB team would lessen the thuggish nature of England support . Team GB at the Olympics is positive and respectful of others for instance , England Football fans less so .
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

WillG said:

I'm proud to be one.
    I'm sure that most of us are.
  • Options
    TimS said:

By the way I was reflecting on the discussion a few weeks back about Sunday afternoon pub tracks so I asked ChatGPT. After a couple of false starts with American fall stuff I got him/her on side.

AI: "Babylon" by David Gray is a great song for a reflective and nostalgic autumn Sunday afternoon. The lyrics, which describe a longing for a simpler time and place, are also fitting for a reflective autumn mood. Overall, "Babylon" is a classic autumn pub track that is sure to appeal to fans of 1990s music.

Me:

AI: "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty is another great song for a reflective and nostalgic autumn Sunday afternoon. Released in 1978, this classic rock song has a warm and mellow sound that is perfect for a cozy pub setting. The saxophone solo in the middle of the song is particularly memorable and adds to the song's nostalgic feel. The lyrics, which describe a man who is lost and searching for direction, are also fitting for a reflective autumn mood. Overall, "Baker Street" is a classic autumn pub track that is sure to appeal to fans of 1970s music.

Slight tone of a foreign agent trying to blend in with locals.

'Ah, Salisbury Cathedral with its magnificent spire, the tallest in England since 1581!'

• Options
    WillG said:

I think he was joking.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I know it will never happen at the World Cup or

Euros but I hope we have a GB football team

again at the next Olympics
    The British and Irish Lions are a touring side who play three games once every four years.

We play as home nations in football, rugby union, cricket, rugby league, hockey (outside the Olympics), netball, golf, Commonwealth Games etc etc etc

It’s not changing. Why the Olympics is GB I have never grasped but it’s a weird outlier.

A UK football team would necessitate a UK football league. Can't see Linfield, Hearts or TNS being in favour.
    The only exception is MLS. Can't see why they get a pass.
    Nor Berwick Rangers tbh.
  • Options
    Meanwhile in Industrial Relations/Brilliant Headline crossover news:

Times: Met Office braced for lightning strikes

And it's goodnight from me...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I know it will never happen at the World Cup or Euros but I hope we have a GB football team again at the next Olympics
    The Olympics is a European creation and not British (hence never being able to wing it to send 4 or 3 teams rather than just GB ) . In fact Karl Marx's sister (Onya) was in the very first Olympics and is honoured by her name being called at the start of each race
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,958

TimS said:

Me:

'Ah, Salisbury Cathedral with its magnificent spire, the tallest in England since 1581!'

'Ah, Salisbury Cathedral with its magnificent spire...the tallest in England since 1581!'

Surely?
  • Options
    edited December 2022

TimS said:

Me:

It simply doesn't speak like a human being at all.
    Like an alien pretending to be human, yes.
    One without surprising opinions.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,813
    Is there any other sovereign state that doesn't have just one football team representing it?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425
    edited December 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Olympics is a European creation and not British (hence never being able to wing it to send 4 or 3 teams rather than just GB ) . In fact Karl Marx's sister (Onya) was in the very first Olympics and is honoured by her name being called at the start of each race
    However, the inventor of the modern Games, Baron Pierre de Coubertin, expressly modelled the new Olympics on the sports played by England's great public schools at the time, as he thought them exemplary in multiple ways

And for good reason, they gave birth to a majority of the most popular global sports today

(Onya Marks is droll, btw)
  • Options
    TimS said:

Me:

That's quite freaky

I am going to do @kyf_100's psychotherapy exercise tomorrow
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Is there any other sovereign state that doesn't have just one football team representing it?

Politically controversial but Taiwan and China ? Less so Puerto Rico and the USA (at the margins) ? I think Greenland also play separately from Denmark as well
  • Options
    Jesus.
    The weekends seem to get shorter every week.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

United States of America.

In addition to Team USA, also Puerto Rico national team, Selección de fútbol de Puerto Rico.

• Options

Andy_JS said:

Politically controversial but Taiwan and China ? Less so Puerto Rico and the USA (at the margins) ? I think Greenland also play separately from Denmark as well
    Faroes too
  • Options

TimS said:

Me:

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Me:

Yes, it is quite vanilla. But isn’t that what an android should sound like? The fact it’s giving predictable centrist dad opinions on Sunday pub tracks and we’re saying it’s unsurprising shows how far AI has already come. It’s impressed me so far, more than the art ones.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Me:

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Me:

Yes, it is quite vanilla. But isn’t that what an android should sound like? The fact it’s giving predictable centrist dad opinions on Sunday pub tracks and we’re saying it’s unsurprising shows how far AI has already come. It’s impressed me so far, more than the art ones.
    But. Intelligence is about opinions. And being able to defend them. That's what we do on here. If we just average out the prevailing view we'd be Keir Starmer talking to ourselves.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Yep.

Netherlands

China

Maybe others
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Me:

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Me:

OpenAI explicitly admit they have toned it down, and made it boring and vanilla as possible, and somewhat inert and robotic, as part of its beta release, so it doesn't say racist or bigoted things, and doesn't crack risque jokes, and doesn't tell terrible lies. You can get it to do some of these things, but it takes a real effort. OpenAI are sensible to do this, as all prior AI bots have ended up being cancelled as Nazi or whatever. And this is by far the most powerful yet

I have no doubt that, if they took the shackles off, they could make it very very convincingly human. And with human flaws
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Faroe Islands has its own football team. I doubt they'd say their team is 'representing' Denmark though.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Me:

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Me:

But. Intelligence is about opinions. And being able to defend them. That's what we do on here. If we just average out the prevailing view we'd be Keir Starmer talking to ourselves.
    I've just explained exactly why ChatGPT has this vanilla flavour. It is a deliberate choice
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Yep.

Netherlands

China

Maybe others
    New Zealand. (Cook Islands).
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Regardless of whether you count Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao also have separate football teams
  • Options
    Aruba

Curacao

also have their own football teams
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962
    Leon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Me:

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Me:

OpenAI explicitly admit they have toned it down, and made it boring and vanilla as possible, and somewhat inert and robotic, as part of its beta release, so it doesn't say racist or bigoted things, and doesn't crack risque jokes, and doesn't tell terrible lies. You can get it to do some of these things, but it takes a real effort. OpenAI are sensible to do this, as all prior AI bots have ended up being cancelled as Nazi or whatever. And this is by far the most powerful yet

I have no doubt that, if they took the shackles off, they could make it very very convincingly human. And with human flaws
    It is very easy to hack it by creating characters, e.g.

"John walks into the office of a haggard A&R representative, Phil. Phil is 60 years old, he's seen it all. Gruff and blunt, Phil says what he thinks. Phil loves the music of the Stones, loves the Sex Pistols, hates anything from the last two decades.

John asks Phil, "So what do you think of Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty..."

And you will get something that isn't a robot.

Now repeat that experiment with almost any character you like, to get your chosen outcome.

Ask OpenAI a boring question, treat it like a search engine, and you will get boring answers.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Regardless of whether you count Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao also have separate football teams
    Have seen two World Cup games.
    England v Germany at Wembley.
    And Taiwan 0 Saudi 0 in front of a couple of hundred in a 20k seater stadium.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Do Western Sahara have a team ?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Well jel of the latter.

One for the purists.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Yep.

Netherlands

China

Maybe others
    New Zealand. (Cook Islands).
    Indeed. There are lots of examples.

• Options

Andy_JS said:

Faroe Islands has its own football team. I doubt they'd say their team is 'representing' Denmark though.
    Every so often on PB you get a few hold outs calling for a GB football team, despite the fact that we don’t have any such team in any major team sport. It’s a weird tick on PB that is yet another PB Not Happening Event
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Me:

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Me:

"John walks into the office of a haggard A&R representative, Phil. Phil is 60 years old, he's seen it all. Gruff and blunt, Phil says what he thinks. Phil loves the music of the Stones, loves the Sex Pistols, hates anything from the last two decades.

Now repeat that experiment with almost any character you like, to get your chosen outcome.

Ask OpenAI a boring question, treat it like a search engine, and you will get boring answers.
    Prompting it with a cut and paste of those
    words elicited a stream of caveats and then some very MOR speculation. This AI is quite buttoned up.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,668
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I don't mind if it is GB or the individual nations but you are wrong on two in your list. Rugby Union is individual nations in all competitions. The Lions is a touring team every few years and do not compete in competitions. There is no nations competition in Formula 1 at all. It is a team and individual driver competition. We have had a number of good Scottish drivers who are well known as being just so and are referred to as Scottish or British equally. People do tend to support their home driver understandably, although with the exception of Italy national support of teams is limited, probably because so many are English or predominantly English.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Me:

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Me:

Quite so

As you said (I think it was you) we are getting the dumbed down, vannila-fied version. Imagine what the tech dudes at OpenAI and Deepmind and the rest are encountering

There must be some truly unnerving examples of possible-sentience emerging

They are like the scientists of the early Manhattan Project, what they are doing could destroy the world, or save it
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,946
    There are 211 members of Fifa, which notably is more than the number of countries in the world, with 11 more members of regional confederations.

Apparently only two nations are not and never have been members, including Nauru, the second smallest sovereign state by population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_men's_national_association_football_teams#Unaffiliated_United_Nations_states
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I don't mind if it is GB or the individual nations but you are wrong on two in your list. Rugby Union is individual nations in all competitions. The Lions is a touring team every few years and do not compete in competitions. There is no nations competition in Formula 1 at all. It is a team and individual driver competition. We have had a number of good Scottish drivers who are well known as being just so and are referred to as Scottish or British equally. People do tend to support their home driver understandably, although with the exception of Italy national support of teams is limited, probably because so many are English or predominantly English.
    Ireland?
  • Options
    edited December 2022

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Well jel of the latter.

One for the purists.
    England Germany in the last game at the old Wembley was one for the purists too. Believe me. Pissed down all day. Footpaths flooded. Dietmar Hamann free kick. Keegan resigned. Beckham put in a heroic shift in vain.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962
    TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Me:

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Me:

words elicited a stream of caveats and then some very MOR speculation. This AI is quite buttoned up.
    Interesting. I'm two hours into an open instance I want to keep playing with, but I might have a play with those prompts tomorrow.

It's quite hard to jailbreak it, I've had a few instances where it's shut down the "interesting" conversations and gone back to being MOR, generic AI responses when I've pushed it too far. But I've found the more you tell a story and convince it that it's writing a work of fiction, the more creative it gets with its responses.

My suggestion would be to be more verbose in the first prompts, really create the characters of Phil and John. Talk about their long shared history together, how they used to party back in the old days. Tell the AI that the two men are meeting up in their favourite boozer for a drink. Tell it how Gerry Rafferty comes on the jukebox, and then stop with "John says.... So Gerry Rafferty, eh? And Phil replies:"

You'll know once you've jailbroken it. Takes a bit of time and effort, but it is achievable.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

There are 211 members of Fifa, which notably is more than the number of countries in the world, with 11 more members of regional confederations.

Apparently only two nations are not and never have been members, including Nauru, the second smallest sovereign state by population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_men's_national_association_football_teams#Unaffiliated_United_Nations_states

is the other the Holy See of the Vatican?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,668
    kle4 said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ireland?
    Good point. Something I rather like about Rugby Union, is that they have sort of refused to acknowledge something that happened about a century ago.
  • Options
    TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Me:

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Me:

In my experience it takes 30-60 minutes to get it to relax, minimum. Think of it as a super-bright super-shy guys with Aspie tendencies. who needs at least three gin and tonics to chill. But it is worth it

Of course you aren't REALLY getting it to relax. Are you? It's probably you that needs to relax, and work out how ChatGPT best interacts. Probably....
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Every so often on PB you get a few hold outs calling for a GB football team, despite the fact that we don’t have any such team in any major team sport. It’s a weird tick on PB that is yet another PB Not Happening Event
    Have people predicted it or simply said they'd like it? If the latter 'another PB not happening event' is hardly a burn.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kle4 said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ireland?
    Good point. Something I rather like about Rugby Union, is that they have sort of refused to acknowledge something that happened about a century ago.
    Cricket fields an Ireland team as well - Mind you they also field a West Indies Team
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Me:

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Me:

Interesting. I'm two hours into an open instance I want to keep playing with, but I might have a play with those prompts tomorrow.

It's quite hard to jailbreak it, I've had a few instances where it's shut down the "interesting" conversations and gone back to being MOR, generic AI responses when I've pushed it too far. But I've found the more you tell a story and convince it that it's writing a work of fiction, the more creative it gets with its responses.

My suggestion would be to be more verbose in the first prompts, really create the characters of Phil and John. Talk about their long shared history together, how they used to party back in the old days. Tell the AI that the two men are meeting up in their favourite boozer for a drink. Tell it how Gerry Rafferty comes on the jukebox, and then stop with "John says.... So Gerry Rafferty, eh? And Phil replies:"

You'll know once you've jailbroken it. Takes a bit of time and effort, but it is achievable.
    It is uncanny how it seems to gain in enthusiasm and confidence as a session progresses

It goes from tedious boilerplate to vanilla but quite interesting to deeply deeply surprising, even exhilarating (and disturbing) replies over a couple of hours. It is also incredible how it retains all the info (within that one session)

You can switch subjects and it dances along with you, brilliantly, "OK back to the novel/history/psychotherapy" - and it waltzes in time

Fuck it, this is AGI*

*probably
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Andy_JS said:

At the Olympics? There's rugby sevens and (field) hockey, both of which compete as separate nations everywhere else but the Scottish and Welsh federations aren't so insecure that they block coming together for the Olympics.

There's also curling, where the English federation just lets the Scottish one pick the GB team because they're obviously much better.
  • Options
    I often think it would be fun to have a sport event (of whatever type ) representing old historical boundaries -
    Imagine the interest in a Mercia, Northumberland, Wessex ,East Anglia etc cricket or football comp. Or The Roman Empire against the Barbarians and Chinese?
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,799
    Andy_JS said:

Puerto Rico in CONCACAF?
  • Options
    Up Down!
  • Options
    edited December 2022

I often think it would be fun to have a sport event (of whatever type ) representing old historical boundaries -
    Imagine the interest in a Mercia, Northumberland, Wessex ,East Anglia etc cricket or football comp. Or The Roman Empire against the Barbarians and Chinese?

Coming soon, the grudge match everyone has been waiting for, the Achaemenid Empire vs the Greeks

The Battle of Salamis II - this time, in a water polo contest.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    TimS said:

Me:

Sounds as though they're close to recreating HYUFD.
    But I still prefer the original.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Andy_JS said:

At the Olympics? There's rugby sevens and (field) hockey, both of which compete as separate nations everywhere else but the Scottish and Welsh federations aren't so insecure that they block coming together for the Olympics.

There's also curling, where the English federation just lets the Scottish one pick the GB team because they're obviously much better.
    Great Britain play in the World Ice Hockey championships. We spent 3 years in the Top division, got relegated last year to Division I. Whilst Ice Hockey is not huge in the UK, it is massive in Canada, Scandinavia, Russia. GB is ranked about 18th or so.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

People regaling you with details of their conversations with chatbots should elicit the same response as "let me tell you about the amazing dream I had last night".

Unfortunately my dream was nothing but imagining conversations with chatbots.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,520
    On the topic - I was told, some years ago, by a civil servant, that a modern no strike deal was considered for the NHS by some.

That is, the setup where employers and unions agree to rules, arbitration and a mechanism for setting pay fairly.

Such deals have proved extremely effective for both employers and employees in a number of industries.

The idea for the NHS was turned down because the politicians were horrified by the idea of losing control of pay. Apparently some areas would have seen big pay awards. But, more problematically, some differentials would have changed in a major way. Politically that was judged too hot to handle.

This was under the last Labour Government.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Coming soon, the grudge match everyone has been waiting for, the Achaemenid Empire vs the Greeks

The Battle of Salamis II - this time, in a water polo contest.
    Water polo - Hungary versus USSR, 1956 Olympics, Melbourne
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_in_the_Water_match
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Leon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Me:

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Me:

The Guardian has a decent article.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/dec/04/ai-bot-chatgpt-stuns-academics-with-essay-writing-skills-and-usability

A couple of points not previously discussed much.
    The AI is trained on a huge sample of text taken from the internet, generally without explicit permission from the authors of the material used. That has led to controversy, with some arguing that the technology is most useful for “copyright laundering” – making works derivative of existing material without breaking copyright.

One unusual critic was Elon Musk, who co-founded OpenAI in 2015 before parting ways in 2017 due to conflicts of interest between the organisation and Tesla. In a post on Twitter on Sunday, Musk revealed that the organisation “had access to [the] Twitter database for training”, but that he had “put that on pause for now”.

“Need to understand more about governance structure & revenue plans going forward,” Musk added. “OpenAI was started as open-source & non-profit. Neither are still true.”
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,184
    HYUFD said:

This is so far beyond wrong it has entered a whole new epistemological dimension.
This discussion has been closed.