Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LAB’s VAT on private education plan set to be big issue – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,721

murali_s said:

Private schools should be banned - period!

And, I went to one.

SKS needs to go further.

Cant agree with that. If people have the money and want to spend it on schooling their kids, something the state does for free, let them. Same for healthcare. And driving rather than public transport.
    No problem with them paying, but they should pay VAT on it.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

Just coming on here to say RIP Christine McVie!

She never got the recognition she deserved as composer of Fleetwood Mac’s most melodic hits, and as an impeccable singer of white girl soul.

Heard her play the 02 with the Mac in 2013. Amazing voice.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858
    edited November 2022

I mentioned Christine McVie the other, because she played on that Martha Velez album

I'm pretty sure she was on this song from 69, so pre-Fleetwood Mac

It Takes a Lot to Laugh It Takes a Train to Cry
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc1eI9I4kMo

Check it out @Gardenwalker

Why the hell is Michelle Mone in the HoL when we could have had Christine McVie FFS?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,481

Sleazy, broken Rishi Sunak on the slide:

https://conservativehome.com/2022/11/30/our-cabinet-league-table/

(and so is Heremy Junt)

Is that scored by a panel of Conservative members?
    No, it's scored by a panel of Duran Duran members.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Mortimer said:

She never got the recognition she deserved as composer of Fleetwood Mac’s most melodic hits, and as an impeccable singer of white girl soul.

My dad and I were at that one too! Was an amazing experience even if it was the O2.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,549
    Mortimer said:

murali_s said:

And, I went to one.

SKS needs to go further.

Another class warfare merchant.

Really handy this policy - it has showed just who can be ignored on public policy.
    Gosh, there's a lot of lists in circulation today.
    Please add me to yours.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    murali_s said:

And, I went to one.

SKS needs to go further.

Big thumbs up, Murali_S!

SKS's office is probably taking a lot of calls from survivors of those places who want to urge him - and help him - to go further.

The defenders of the existence of such places aren't used to having light shone on what they consider to be their personal affairs, or what they have assumed all their lives that they are "entitled" to. Every year there is a large quantity of filth swept under the carpet...
  • Options

(and so is Heremy Junt)

Well, they are Notorious.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,708
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

I've always rather liked the Channel Islands. Might have to move there permanently if proposals like this start to kick in as well as huge increases to my tax bill.

I'm actually half considering what I never thought I would and to move to the Middle East with my family for 10 years.
    Qatar is lovely it seems, if you aren't gay or a migrant labourer.
    Great football stadia, as well.
    Less woke bookshops too.
    Outrageous sentiment to express. Utterly abominable.

'*Fewer* woke bookshops', please.
    I’m pretty sure the ones they have are less woke, too.
  • Options

Does anyone know why Adidas should never, ever, ever make a shoe called the Adihit?

A - The founder of Adidas was called Adolf Dasler
  • Options

I mentioned Christine McVie the other, because she played on that Martha Velez album

Why the hell is Michelle Mone in the HoL when we could have had Christine McVie FFS?
    She decided to go her own way.
  • Options
    Being potentially able to rig VAT rules to disadvantage one particular segment of education services is a benefit of Brexit. No way Labour could have got that past a legal challenge in the European court.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Saw her in 2015 at Leeds. Still had the most incredible voice. One of the very best. Really sad tonight.

RIP.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

One of the issues I find with this debate is those of us who have been privately educated explain all the public good that is done by private education:

- scholarships ** Education **
    - outreach ** Education **
    - donation of equipment/time/space to local state schools and other voluntary orgs ** Education/Community **
    - building of facilities that can be used by community ** So, community **
    - custodianship of historic buildings ** s/of/of their attractive brochure-worthy/ **
    - freeing up spaces in state schools ** I guess **
    - training of staff who may go into state sector ** Or might not **

And yet those who want to tear anything that isn't state provision down just ignore us.

Not ignore, very much wonder why it is VAT-free and charitable. Some vague maybe/maybe-not and CoE-esque 'look at our pretty buildings' isn't really cutting it for me. If we give VAT/tax breaks to everyone and everything that may or may not go on to work in the state sector or lives in a Victorian or Edwardian building then that would level the ground a little.
    Education isn't a charitable endeavour these days?

God, the state of left wing thinking.
    God, the state of right wing thinking.

Is that the level of debate and engagement your private education gifted us? It's no wonder you need charity.
    So do you think education is a charitable endeavour, or not?
    It is only charity if it goes to someone who otherwise couldn't get educated, otherwise it is a paid for service.

And yet, as you said, private therapeutic care isn't VATable.

Physician, heal thy own sector before preaching about others.
    I think VAT on private medical services, with the money raised going to the NHS would be another good policy for Labour.
    Christ, I'm definitely moving if they do that.
    Where to?
    Anywhere there aspiration is supported rather than scorned.
    Aspiration my arse. Private education is all about protecting and perpetuating privileges down the generations.
    No it is about choice which the left want to remove as far as possible, including nationalising most business and industry if they were allowed the chance
    Please enlighten me as to how my parents had that choice when it came to my education.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053

Anyway, will of the people, innit?

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/should-uk-private-schoold-be-exempt-from-tax

(To be fair to oldsters, not much generational profile. That might change if the Mail carries on being cross, but so far the opinions are pretty stable across age groups.)

The death penalty for murderers and terrorists is also often the will of the people, so what, we are a representative not direct democracy.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

My dad and I were at that one too! Was an amazing experience even if it was the O2.
    Electric wasn't it.

One of the last times they (Stevie, Lindsey, Christine, Mick) all played together I think.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,738
    edited November 2022
    RIP Christine McVie. She wrote this and performed lead vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF1R0hc5Q2I
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

One of the issues I find with this debate is those of us who have been privately educated explain all the public good that is done by private education:

- donation of equipment/time/space to local state schools and other voluntary orgs ** Education/Community **
    - custodianship of historic buildings ** s/of/of their attractive brochure-worthy/ **

And yet those who want to tear anything that isn't state provision down just ignore us.

Not ignore, very much wonder why it is VAT-free and charitable. Some vague maybe/maybe-not and CoE-esque 'look at our pretty buildings' isn't really cutting it for me. If we give VAT/tax breaks to everyone and everything that may or may not go on to work in the state sector or lives in a Victorian or Edwardian building then that would level the ground a little.

Is that the level of debate and engagement your private education gifted us? It's no wonder you need charity.
    It is only charity if it goes to someone who otherwise couldn't get educated, otherwise it is a paid for service.

I think VAT on private medical services, with the money raised going to the NHS would be another good policy for Labour.
    Where to?
    Aspiration my arse. Private education is all about protecting and perpetuating privileges down the generations.
    No it is about choice which the left want to remove as far as possible, including nationalising most business and industry if they were allowed the chance
    Please enlighten me as to how my parents had that choice when it came to my education.
    Not everyone can afford to shop at Harrods and Fortnum and Mason either, doesn't mean we shut them down or nationalise them.

Not everyone can afford to buy a Ferrari, doesn't mean we ban Ferraris.

And if you had got a bursary you may have got a place, even Eton now offers full fee awards
    https://www.etoncollege.com/admissions/scholarships-and-awards/orwell-award/
  • Options
    murali_s said:

And, I went to one.

SKS needs to go further.

If you had gone to a better one you might have learned how to construct and expound a reasoned case in support of your contention.
  • Options

I mentioned Christine McVie the other day, because she played on that Martha Velez album

Thanks. For some reason I can’t get into Martha Veléz. On paper I should, but I doesn’t come together.

Back to McVie, on paper she has a crap voice, ie West Midlands, and pretty much straight delivery. Yet real soul, somehow. Such a mystery.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,719
    HYUFD said:

Anyway, will of the people, innit?

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/should-uk-private-schoold-be-exempt-from-tax

(To be fair to oldsters, not much generational profile. That might change if the Mail carries on being cross, but so far the opinions are pretty stable across age groups.)

The death penalty for murderers and terrorists is also often the will of the people, so what, we are a representative not direct democracy.

Which is why when Labour win a majority in 2024 they will be perfectly entitled to put VAT on school fees.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

Where to?
    Not everyone can afford to shop at Harrods and Fortnum and Mason either, doesn't mean we shut them down or nationalise them.

And if you had got a bursary you may have got a place, even Eton now offers full fee awards
    Yes, people who can afford posh stuff can buy it.

But most folk don't have that "choice".

• Options

Being potentially able to rig VAT rules to disadvantage one particular segment of education services is a benefit of Brexit. No way Labour could have got that past a legal challenge in the European court.

What is this rigging of which you speak? (Well, post.)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

Where to?

So in their heart of hearts most leftwingers would ban it if they got the chance
  • Options

What is this rigging of which you speak? (Well, post.)
    Apparently planning to remove the exemption on some educational services but not others. University tuition fees and local authority vocational courses, for example, would I assume still be exempt.
  • Options
    This is where I remind everyone that I used to go to Eton...

...to use their squash courts after work.

• Options

(and so is Heremy Junt)

No need for sarcasm, it was a genuine question. I'm not a frequent visitor to ConservativeHome and there was no immediate and obvious explanation of the make-up of the panel on the linked page.
  • Options

A community good - in addition to their educational purpose - maybe they should get some sort of special status for that, eh?
  • Options
    Stachoos, contd.

Dismantling the portrait sculpture of Russian poet Pushkin in Odesa
    https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1598066843696173057

Russian imperialist poet, alongside whom Kipling appears positively liberal.
  • Options

(and so is Heremy Junt)

No need for sarcasm, it was a genuine question. I'm not a frequent visitor to ConservativeHome and there was no immediate and obvious explanation of the make-up of the panel on the linked page.
    ConHome followers are not always members, but their polls do have pretty good alignment with the membership on things like leadership contests.
  • Options

Bit of a dull choice when they have racquets, real tennis and fives courts.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

Where to?

So in their heart of hearts most leftwingers would ban it if they got the chance
    I just want some honesty from the wealthy and well-connected who take advantage of these institutions to lock in privilege for their offspring.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    Labour moving the culture war debate away from ‘what is a woman’ to ‘private schools shouldn’t get tax breaks’ is a pretty smart move by anyone’s measure. Take the initiative while your enemy is disorganised. If they are of choleric temperament - irritate them.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    For those who may be interested and who didn't already know: Dillibe Onyeama's famous (and excellent) autobiographical book, "N***** at Eton", has been republished under a new title, "A Black Boy at Eton". It's currently in bookshops.

The story is that the headmaster apologised to him - about half a century after he had left the school and after it had tried to stop his book coming out - and told him he wasn't banned any more ... as if after he'd left he'd ever wanted to visit them anyway. He then said he was prepared to visit to accept their apology in person, so long as they paid his fare. As far as I know, he hasn't actually visited yet. He should have insisted on keeping the original title, but presumably the publisher wanted to avoid giving people ideas and fuelling anyone's anger by making it more lucid. But perhaps he needs the money. Anyway it's a great book. (I've only read the original. The latest effort may possibly be different in other ways than just the title.)

Hey HYUFD, maybe someone will soon write "Chav-Faced Full-Fee Award Recipient at Charterhouse"? :smile:
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Stachoos, contd.

Dismantling the portrait sculpture of Russian poet Pushkin in Odesa
    https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1598066843696173057

Russian imperialist poet, alongside whom Kipling appears positively liberal.

Though unusually amongst felled statues, he had an ancestor who was an African slave:

https://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/exeterlanguageandculture/2020/10/15/aleksandr-pushkins-black-history/
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

Don't blame me - there was only a squash club at work!

I wouldn't have minded a crack at real tennis.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Labour moving the culture war debate away from ‘what is a woman’ to ‘private schools shouldn’t get tax breaks’ is a pretty smart move by anyone’s measure. Take the initiative while your enemy is disorganised. If they are of choleric temperament - irritate them.

This is true, until they are in government and bump into the drawbacks.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

Where to?

Not everyone can afford cocaine either.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,549
    Mortimer said:

A community good - in addition to their educational purpose - maybe they should get some sort of special status for that, eh?
    I've lived adjacent to a large, famous private school for 12 years. They contribute absolutely nothing to the local community (apart from the kids spending some money in local shops), although they spend huge amounts on new buildings and facilities.

One day three years ago I was having a pint in my local and got chatting to the Chaplain at the school. Being an educationalist myself, we chatted about the school's place in the local community and its links with state schools. I pointed out that it was largely invisible, and made some suggestions as to how that could be changed. He listened politely, but nothing happened. I also wrote to the Headteacher on the same matter, but he didn't have the courtesy to reply. Anecdotal, I know, but I'm not persuaded that private schools, on the whole, benefit either the local community or the state sector.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

Where to?

We ban cocaine because it is so damaging to public health, both physical and psychological, not due to its price
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

Electric wasn't it.

One of the last times they (Stevie, Lindsey, Christine, Mick) all played together I think.
    Hey why leave out poor old John! After all he was 'Mac'
  • Options

pillsbury said:

I'm told that proficiency at RT is the easiest way into the MCC. Much to some cricketers' chagrin....
  • Options
    If VAT was payable now, would anyone be suggesting exempting private school fees?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I've lived adjacent to a large, famous private school for 12 years. They contribute absolutely nothing to the local community (apart from the kids spending some money in local shops), although they spend huge amounts on new buildings and facilities.

One day three years ago I was having a pint in my local and got chatting to the Chaplain at the school. Being an educationalist myself, we chatted about the school's place in the local community and its links with state schools. I pointed out that it was largely invisible, and made some suggestions as to how that could be changed. He listened politely, but nothing happened. I also wrote to the Headteacher on the same matter, but he didn't have the courtesy to reply. Anecdotal, I know, but I'm not persuaded that private schools, on the whole, benefit either the local community or the state sector.
    Most share pools, athletics tracks, theatres etc with state schools and the local community now.

Some now also sponsor academies, as my old school does with a Medway academy
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

For those who may be interested and who didn't already know: Dillibe Onyeama's famous (and excellent) autobiographical book, "N***** at Eton", has been republished under a new title, "A Black Boy at Eton". It's currently in bookshops.

The story is that the headmaster apologised to him - about half a century after he had left the school and after it had tried to stop his book coming out - and told him he wasn't banned any more ... as if after he'd left he'd ever wanted to visit them anyway. He then said he was prepared to visit to accept their apology in person, so long as they paid his fare. As far as I know, he hasn't actually visited yet. He should have insisted on keeping the original title, but presumably the publisher wanted to avoid giving people ideas and fuelling anyone's anger by making it more lucid. But perhaps he needs the money. Anyway it's a great book. (I've only read the original. The latest effort may possibly be different in other ways than just the title.)

Hey HYUFD, maybe someone will soon write "Chav-Faced Full-Fee Award Recipient at Charterhouse"? :smile:

A great example of meritocracy I am sure
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

Where to?

We ban cocaine because it is so damaging to public health, both physical and psychological, not due to its price
    And yet it’s an equally (in)valid comparator.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,347

Ghedebrav said:

There's a pretty good chance this ends up like fox-hunting isn't there? Banned in theory, but in practice still able to go ahead. I expect there'd be some definition of charitable purpose - perhaps charitable status would be retained if the school could demonstrate that the value of the charitable activity exceeded that of the tax break? Just think of the forms to fill in!

A lot of sound and fury, passions roused, but little ultimately changed.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987

Mortimer said:

We don't have any private schools round here.
    So they aren't adding anything to the community.
    Nor do they provide "choice".
    My school is so underfunded it is positively dangerous.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

Where to?

Living in a barracks for most of the year when you're a child damages the mental health too.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

It’ll be the least of their problems!
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Mortimer said:

On the other hand the very posh Uppingham school has a nice swimming pool which Mrs Foxy likes!

Uppingham School is crazily posh and traditional with boarding more or less mandatory, as are Saturday sports. They do good summer schools in Art, Music and Drama which my boys did some summers.

Their School ethos is rather positive and rounded and unlike other nearby private schools, the kids and teachers are rarely arseholes.

• Options

Mortimer said:

The standing joke at Oundle is that the school is rather unusual because there's a town in it.
  • Options

If VAT was payable now, would anyone be suggesting exempting private school fees?

Given that lots of people propose a voucher system, where parents are given a voucher equal to the value of state spending per pupil on education, that they can then use to part-fund private education, then, yes, I think it is very likely that exempting private school fees from VAT would be a policy proposed by many.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,352
    Andy_JS said:

WTF is that video?!

On the other hand, what a talent. The Golden Age closes.....
  • Options

Leon said:

My late Auntie Iris sometimes used the N word

A kinder, sweeter lady you cannot imagine. Loving and warm. When I was upset by my fractured family she would feed me freshly made saffron buns in her house in the Cornish wilds, or hand me some coins to go down to the Carnkie sweet shop for a Curly Wurly

She kept me sane. I loved her dearly. As did everyone else. Yet she used the N word simply because she grew up in a very very different time. I do not judge her by the mores of 2022 (some of which are utterly farcical)

If you disagree I am afraid I will have to slay you in a duel

We had a local Tory councillor who used it too (the woodpile phrase)
    I recall in the early eighties being astonished (along with the rest of my British colleagues) that an American manager took offence at that phrase. We thought it a harmless idiom.
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

Where to?

Living in a barracks for most of the year when you're a child damages the mental health too.
    Not your physical health and for many it toughens them up for later life as well as encouraging self reliance
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

On the other hand the very posh Uppingham school has a nice swimming pool which Mrs Foxy likes!

Uppingham School is crazily posh and traditional with boarding more or less mandatory, as are Saturday sports. They do good summer schools in Art, Music and Drama which my boys did some summers.

Their School ethos is rather positive and rounded and unlike other nearby private schools, the kids and teachers are rarely arseholes.

I've played cricket at Sherborne, Milton Abbas, Claysmore, Millfield and Eton. Quiz tournaments at Bryanston. Debated at Radley. As a state school student in various teams and extra curricular activities. They were always gracious hosts. We were put up without a question or a cost at several.

My old prep school had one of the few swimming pools in the area - it was always booked out for parties, local groups, etc. We were pretty much forced to do charitable volunteering of one sort or another.

This seems to be the norm - Northern Al's more the exception.
  • Options

Leon said:

My late Auntie Iris sometimes used the N word

A kinder, sweeter lady you cannot imagine. Loving and warm. When I was upset by my fractured family she would feed me freshly made saffron buns in her house in the Cornish wilds, or hand me some coins to go down to the Carnkie sweet shop for a Curly Wurly

She kept me sane. I loved her dearly. As did everyone else. Yet she used the N word simply because she grew up in a very very different time. I do not judge her by the mores of 2022 (some of which are utterly farcical)

If you disagree I am afraid I will have to slay you in a duel

We had a local Tory councillor who used it too (the woodpile phrase)
    I recall in the early eighties being astonished (along with the rest of my British colleagues) that an American manager took offence at that phrase. We thought it a harmless idiom.
    My grandma had a cat called the n-word when she was little. Despite being a product of her time and circumstances she still somehow managed to learn and understand that it was an extremely nasty term.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    The suggestion that taking away a state subsidy for the wealthy is somehow anti-aspirational is one of the more interesting arguments for a middle class perk I've heard tonight.
  • Options
    Watching these great talents from the Golden Age of Pop Music (1955-2005, as agreed by PB) I get a sense of what it must have been like in Italy, watching Raphael, Michelangelo and Da Vinci (and Donatello and Botticelli and all the rest) drop off the perch

Standing in the piazza in Firenze you'd have said "Heh, no worries, we've got more on the way"... except they weren't on the way. That was it. The Renaissance. The High Renaissance, indeed

After 300 years of continual artistic improvement and endless new talent, suddenly there was a great falling off, and people started listening to rap and drill. Or buying Mannerist paintings by Parmigianino while pretending they were as good as Piero della Francesca

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957
    mwadams said:

The suggestion that taking away a state subsidy for the wealthy is somehow anti-aspirational is one of the more interesting arguments for a middle class perk I've heard tonight.

By taking their kids out of the state education system and paying for their education while still paying taxes, "the wealthy" are actually subsidising the state education system - in effect, paying twice.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

The vehement suggestion that education isn't a public good because 'they're posh innit' isn't exactly a shining example of the promise of state education...
  • Options
    mwadams said:

It is more a subsidy for cheap private schools and bursaries for less well off private school pupils, not the super rich
  • Options
    Great obituary for Christine McVie from Neil McCormick in the Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/christine-mcvie-brought-sweetness-optimism-fleetwood-mac/
  • Options
    Leon said:

Watching these great talents from the Golden Age of Pop Music (1955-2005, as agreed by PB) I get a sense of what it must have been like in Italy, watching Raphael, Michelangelo and Da Vinci (and Donatello and Botticelli and all the rest) drop off the perch

Standing in the piazza in Firenze you'd have said "Heh, no worries, we've got more on the way"... except they weren't on the way. That was it. The Renaissance. The High Renaissance, indeed

After 300 years of continual artistic improvement and endless new talent, suddenly there was a great falling off, and people started listening to rap and drill. Or buying Mannerist paintings by Parmigianino while pretending they were as good as Piero della Francesca

Rap was mainstream twenty years before the end of your golden age.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Rap was OK at the beginning (Grandmaster Flash) and interesting without ever being noble or profound, now it is dreck

Mannerism is actually a pretty good analogy
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

mwadams said:

By taking their kids out of the state education system and paying for their education while still paying taxes, "the wealthy" are actually subsidising the state education system - in effect, paying twice.
    I've got nothing against private education and setting up viable businesses to supply the considerable demand for it. I just don't understand why those businesses should get a subsidy? Surely market forces should prevail?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

Where to?

The Rich and Aspirational Elitists buying their children life chances through our fee paying Public Schools is just fucking unjustifiable..unforgiveable, shameful and just fucking depressing....

Until this changes, sadly nothing changes....so, a good start with VAT
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DJ41 said:

HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

Where to?

Not your physical health and for many it toughens them up for later life as well as encouraging self reliance
    Balls

I and the public know
    What all schoolchildren learn
    Those to whom evil is done
    Do evil in return
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Rap was OK at the beginning (Grandmaster Flash) and interesting without ever being noble or profound, now it is dreck

The extent of your wrongness may be beyond the capacity of modern science to measure.

But yeah, rap ‘was OK’.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    mwadams said:

kyf_100 said:

mwadams said:

I've got nothing against private education and setting up viable businesses to supply the considerable demand for it. I just don't understand why those businesses should get a subsidy? Surely market forces should prevail?
    Do you think plane travel, train travel, bus travel and private health procedures should also incur 20% VAT?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

I saw a chart that suggested that the number of key changes in top 10 hits basically collapsed circa 2005 and never recovered.

Some possible statistical evidence for your thesis, then.

I’m which case the analogy is not mannerism but perhaps “the international style” in architecture.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

It is more a subsidy for cheap private schools and bursaries for less well off private school pupils, not the super rich
    I agree. It is why I chose the word "wealthy". Most of my friends who send their kids into the private sector are wealthy, but not what I'd call rich. (i.e. substantial combined income, but not asset rich).
  • Options
    mwadams said:

kyf_100 said:

mwadams said:

What subsidy?
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

Where to?

The Rich and Aspirational Elitists buying their children life chances through our fee paying Public Schools is just fucking unjustifiable..unforgiveable, shameful and just fucking depressing....

Another class warfarist, it seems.
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

mwadams said:

kyf_100 said:

mwadams said:

What subsidy?
    Via e.g. tax exemptions which are not normal for service industries, charitable status etc.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,027
    mwadams said:

kyf_100 said:

mwadams said:

Agreed. It’s a pretty modest proposal - as I said upthread, I doubt many people were even aware private schooling was zero-rated for VAT. Seems silly.

• Options
    One Brexit dividend is that we probably still get to enjoy Twitter…

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1598014468172152841
    The EU has warned Elon Musk that Twitter could be banned in Europe unless the billionaire abides by its strict rules on content moderation
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    mwadams said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

I agree. It is why I chose the word "wealthy". Most of my friends who send their kids into the private sector are wealthy, but not what I'd call rich. (i.e. substantial combined income, but not asset rich).
    Thats an interesting use of the words.

I'd say wealth implied more generational capacity. Rich is more new money....

My folks are neither. Through their hard work, and sacrifices, to pay for my higher quality prep education they've actually given me social mobility. Ended up at an Oxford college (soz @DJ41), and set up a business that exports (helping BoP), employs, pays taxes and allows me a better life.
  • Options

pillsbury said:

You obviously weren't aspirational enough though.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

mwadams said:

kyf_100 said:

mwadams said:

Do you think plane travel, train travel, bus travel and private health procedures should also incur 20% VAT?
    Yes for private health. I’m amazed it wasn’t already subject to VAT.

Yes for air travel (stupid subsidy for a polluting form of transit).

Zero rate bus and train to encourage their use over other modes.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

mwadams said:

kyf_100 said:

mwadams said:

Plane travel and private health procedures, on balance, yes.

Bus and train travel, no - they really are a public good (and there is no state provision)

The private health care would be different if there was no public provision. But that's a different argument.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DJ41 said:

A great example of meritocracy I am sure
    Argh, you've brought that word into the discussion! In the book in which he coined it, "The Rise of the Meritocracy, 1870-2033", Michael Young wrote (briefly) of the psychological damage inflicted at English boarding schools and how it afflicts some survivors throughout their entire lives.
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

Where to?

Welcome back sir
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    I've never used Twitter.
    Why is it so important to folk? I don't give a toss cos I don't use it.
    Maybe like private education?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

mwadams said:

The vehement suggestion that education isn't a public good because 'they're posh innit' isn't exactly a shining example of the promise of state education...
    Does your case rest on the idea that your opponents would suggest for one moment that education isn't a public good?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

mwadams said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

My folks are neither. Through their hard work, and sacrifices, to pay for my higher quality prep education they've actually given me social mobility.
    By Nancy Mitford’s rules, ‘wealthy’ is decidedly ‘non-U’. You’ve revealed *yourself* as new money.

• Options
    edited November 2022

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

I saw a chart that suggested that the number of key changes in top 10 hits basically collapsed circa 2005 and never recovered.

Some possible statistical evidence for your thesis, then.

I’m which case the analogy is not mannerism but perhaps “the international style” in architecture.
    I've been researching this for a Knapper's Gazette article, and it is absolutely true. Music hasn't merely declined anecdotally, you can measure it. It has got less complex, with fewer key changes and more simplistic melodies, and lyrics have also got simpler, and also more crude and brutal (lyrical terms are more likely to be centred around hate and violence rather than love and joy, for instance)

It's a damn shame, but it is the case

We have gone from the exquisite cadences and human happiness of Aretha Franklin and Say A Little Prayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8y0onSG3kg

to this utter fucking shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC8NmE3H-zs

• Options
    Mortimer said:

mwadams said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

My folks are neither. Through their hard work, and sacrifices, to pay for my higher quality prep education they've actually given me social mobility. Ended up at an Oxford college (soz @DJ41), and set up a business that exports (helping BoP), employs, pays taxes and allows me a better life.
    I have the disadvantage of a state education and Cambridge.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Rap reached its peak in a little-known post-modernist performance in 2016. Those who were there were there, everyone else will just have to try to imagine it from this briefest of clips (at 1'33")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXOQabEVP9s&ab_channel=MayfieldFestival
  • Options
    When I saw the vote was 371-16, I assumed the 16 were all colleagues from John Nicolson’s own party. That’s true, they were, but that’s only a third of the parliamentary SNP. Two-thirds of his party colleagues abstained. Shows how, er, well-loved he must be.

https://twitter.com/simonjedge/status/1597985409732337664
  • Options
    No to VAT on charitable enterprises.
    Which covers most private schools.

Having said that charitable private schools might need their own code which forces them to be provide more info on their charitable activities (typically bursaries).
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Mortimer said:

mwadams said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

At least neither of us went to Hull, eh?
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Mortimer said:

mwadams said:

kyf_100 said:

mwadams said:

Bus and train travel, no - they really are a public good (and there is no state provision)

The private health care would be different if there was no public provision. But that's a different argument.
    Plane travel already has its own unique tax.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Mortimer said:

mwadams said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

My folks are neither. Through their hard work, and sacrifices, to pay for my higher quality prep education they've actually given me social mobility.
    By Nancy Mitford’s rules, ‘wealthy’ is decidedly ‘non-U’. You’ve revealed *yourself* as new money.

Oh entirely. My folks didn't have much dosh at all. What they had, they dedicated to my education. I'm incredibly grateful for it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,090
    Andy_JS said:

RIP. I posted this live version of that song just a couple of weeks ago. Pop perfection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB9Y2LHIT24
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Mortimer said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

ohnotnow said:

Mortimer said:

Where to?

Another class warfarist, it seems.
    Better to fight the class system than defend it.
  • Options
    Physicists Create a Wormhole Using a Quantum Computer

The unprecedented experiment explores the possibility that space-time somehow emerges from quantum information, even as the work’s interpretation remains disputed.
    https://www.quantamagazine.org/physicists-create-a-wormhole-using-a-quantum-computer-20221130/
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

mwadams said:

Mortimer said:

mwadams said:

HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

At least neither of us went to Hull, eh?
    That made me inhale my Lemsip. (It's a raucous night at Mwadams Towers.)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

mwadams said:

Mortimer said:

mwadams said:

kyf_100 said:

mwadams said:

Plane travel already has its own unique tax.
    But, unlike other forms of transport, its fuel is untaxed.

The failure to agree on a global tax on aviation fuel is a pretty clear sign that international negotiations on reducing carbon dioxide emissions to reduce global warming have achieved little in three decades.
This discussion has been closed.