Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LAB’s VAT on private education plan set to be big issue – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,352
    edited November 2022

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

So many people owe the Duke and Duchess of Sussex an apology.

This was not a member of the royal family but a very elderly lady in waiting who made an error but said a question many of her generation would have asked.

The Palace correctly asked her to retire
    Recollections may vary.
    "a question" is seemingly a bit of an understatement.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/30/buckingham-palace-aide-resigns-black-guest-traumatised-by-repeated-questioning
    It’s a bit shit, but she’s 83 ffs. Some old people are not fully up to speed with modern Britain. Cut her some slack.
    i didnae realise she is 83. That's RIDIC

Some old biddy has a somewhat outdated view of the world. OMFG BURN HER
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,816
    edited November 2022
    pillsbury said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Chris said:

MaxPB said:

Is this LAB's tax on aspiration?

Yes, but they've realised that the country is no longer aspirational so this is a vote winner.
    Or perhaps that defending tax breaks for the top 6% of the population is a vote loser?
    Tony Blair wisely pointed out that there's many times more voters who aspire to be part of the 6% than are in it. That was true in 1997 when the UK was still an aspiration nation, now it isn't.
    Worth pausing to think why that's so.

In large part, it's the fatalism that comes from the observation that, unless you are in the elite of the elite, some of the trappings of a middle class life (you know, like buying a decent home by your own efforts) are probably beyond you.

Many of the kind of people who used to educate their children independently- the doctor, the provincial solicitor, the bank manager, the headmaster (perhaps guiltily) wouldn't dream of doing so now, because they wouldn't have the spare cash to do so.

Such schools don't help themselves by being so expensive, especially when a lot of that expense is gloss and facilities. There's a suburban independent primary a short walk from me charging £11k a year. That's a lot of aspiration.
    My theory is that the rot set in with Big Bang (not that Big Bang, although there is a case to say it was all downhill from there).

Previously, bankers had been like doctors, lawyers, headmasters, etc - earning a decent salary sure but nothing outrageous. Big Bang and the arrival of the American investment banks changed all that. They imported global (often US and expensive) talent, and elevated banking salaries for them and previous British stockbrokers to the stratosphere. With that came a huge effect on house prices in prime London and thereby all of London for one; and competition for many other goods and services of which education was a primary one.

Not sure how trickle down any of it was but it marked the divide between Wall Street and Main Street that continues to cause problems today.
    That makes a lot of sense. Those professional people are still doing pretty well, but a salary of £75,000 pa or so doesn't allow you to pay £20,000 a year on school fees, out of after-tax income, without cutting back on everything else.
    Where are these 20k a year bargains to be had?
    Quite easily - within day school range I believe. Just means you have to provide accommodation 100% of the year, nanny, governess, etc. ditto.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

This was not a member of the royal family but a very elderly lady in waiting who made an error but said a question many of her generation would have asked.

Recollections may vary.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/30/buckingham-palace-aide-resigns-black-guest-traumatised-by-repeated-questioning
    It’s a bit shit, but she’s 83 ffs. Some old people are not fully up to speed with modern Britain. Cut her some slack.

I am shocked to see you condoning racism.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Recollections may vary.

She's been Woman of the Bedchamber since she was 21
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Top jobs attract people who went to top schools. No surprise there.

The aim should be to expand access to such schools which the scholarships and bursaries charitable status helps fund does

The priority ought to be to improve the schools that 93% of people go to.
    I think when I last checked about 12-15% went to a private school at some stage between the ages of 5-18.

It's 7% of overall numbers at any one time.
  • Options
    Just compiling a list of PBers likely to make a half arsed defence of Lady brazen old racist Hussey.
    Petronellas I'll call them.

• Options
    I think most people think of Eton or Winchester when they think of private school. A very handful of public schools at the top, which are already phenomenally expensive.

They forget the far larger number of independent educational charities who exist on a shoestring, and don't make a penny - charging just enough to cover their costs whilst offering as many bursaries and scholarships as they can.

Dozens and dozens of those will close, reducing the diversity and depth of educational provision in the sector as a whole. Those displaced and forced to go state will use house prices and private tutoring to maintain their advantage.

IMHO the policy is indefensible.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,350

O/T

Can someone recommend a fuel poverty to donate to?

My father has received his £500 allowance today and wants to see it put to some good for those who really need it.

Donate it to a food bank?
    Good idea, or https://www.trusselltrust.org/ ?

An artist did a picture of me for a "where are they now" story in the Commons House magazine, and offered me the original if I'd give £10 to a food bank - when I agreed, she donated her fee to Trussell as well.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Recollections may vary.

Ngozi Fulani is a thick trouble maker. I am mildly drunk, in St Andrews, on St Andrews Day, wearing a kilt. Several people have asked me in the course of the day where I am "really from." I have not felt offended by this. I read this story in reverse, as entitled Guardian black aristocracy picking on the white and elderly.
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Recollections may vary.

I am shocked to see you condoning racism.
    My late Auntie Iris sometimes used the N word

A kinder, sweeter lady you cannot imagine. Loving and warm. When I was upset by my fractured family she would feed me freshly made saffron buns in her house in the Cornish wilds, or hand me some coins to go down to the Carnkie sweet shop for a Curly Wurly

She kept me sane. I loved her dearly. As did everyone else. Yet she used the N word simply because she grew up in a very very different time. I do not judge her by the mores of 2022 (some of which are utterly farcical)

If you disagree I am afraid I will have to slay you in a duel

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,481

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Recollections may vary.

Ironically, she was probably trying to make some sort of connection - wanting the opportunity to yarn on about her own time in Africa or Jamaica etc. I don't know many aristocrats, but I feel predigree and background is very important to them. I think some aristocrats would be more approving of someone saying that they come from a Zulu tribe than saying that they came from Hackney. The former is exotic; the latter is merely coarse and pedestrian. That's probably why she pressed on despite it being a mounting disaster.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    kle4 said:

These are the numbers from the poll I posted earlier

They must be music to Starmer and the labour party who I believe are in a near certain position to win in 24

SNP: 32 (-16)
    LAB: 19 (+18)
    LDM: 5 (+1)
    CON: 3 (-3)

Frankly I think the Tories would take that result for Scotland right now. Theresa May was a real highpoint for them (not necessarily on her personal merit).
    The % figures are

Scottish National Party 41% (-4)
    Labour 31% (+12)
    Conservative 16% (-9)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (-2)
    Other 5% (+4)

It's a Scotland-only poll (Redfield), not a subsample.

EDIT: sorry, I see the figures already quoted downthread.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,023
    pillsbury said:

rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

I had no idea that private schools were VAT exempt. Seems ridiculous. I suspect many are similarly in the dark.

Let them pay VAT.

But, it’s not something I’m going lose sleep over either way, there are bigger issues out there.

Yup. It's not first order for me but it doesn't seem a sensible use of resources providing this tax break for the rich when the public finances are under such pressure.
    How many more state school places will need to be funded and will that cost more than is raised in VAT? The answer is probably yes so this policy will mean higher taxes elsewhere, spending cuts, or (the mostly likely option) reduced funding per pupil in state schooling.

It's one of those sugar rush policies for the left, it feels good while you hammer the rich but the end result is everyone ends up worse off.
    I would be surprised if this led to a significant drop in the numbers privately educated. I think much more likely that a) private schools will partly eat the cost change b) parents will spend more c) parents will shift down to cheaper private schools.
    Difficult to eat costs when you are a non-profit. There's Eton and perhaps two other schools that could do it out of endowments.
    MGS, Westminster and Winchester all have decent endowments, and St Paul's (both of them) are probably OK too.

But you are right that it is a short list indeed.
  • Options
    FA confirm in a statement that Ben White has “left England’s training base in Al Wakrah and returned home for personal reasons. He is not expected to return to the squad for the remainder of the tournament.

We ask that the player’s privacy is respected at this moment in time.”

https://twitter.com/JamesOlley/status/1598024440327340032
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,211

Just compiling a list of PBers likely to make a half arsed defence of Lady brazen old racist Hussey.

Put me on the list. I think we should cut old people some slack. When she was born there were hardly any people of colour native to the U.K. (despite much revisionist history). Yes she has been unintentionally rude, but I’m sure that was not her intention.
    Once again we have intolerance of people not conforming to the current social
    mores, without any consideration of peoples age and experiences.
    This reminds me of an older person being castigated for calling someone coloured rather than off colour. An older term that is now frowned on. But I don’t recall the government edict on usage.
    We see this with the drift in terminology. We are now onto the global south. What next?
  • Options

The last thread was bad enough, dominated by this issue. My own view on the politics of it is that Rishi's a bit posh but so was Boris and so was Cameron and everyone knew it, so I'm not convinced this is the election winner Labour thinks it is.

I'm not sure that the perception of Sunak as a privileged oik had really sunk in yet, but I don't think that that is Starmer's main motivation for the policy.

The main electoral benefit to Labour is fiscal. It basically allows Labour to invest £1.7bn to turn around state education, without anyone being able to easily question where the money is coming from. And if the Conservatives do try to challenge the fiscal arithmetic, it'll just be another opportunity for Labour to dismiss their claims and bang on about what they think is going to be a highly popular policy.

There's also an internal niche benefit to Starmer. In any world of rational behaviour, it would totally silence his far left critics, those who seem obsessed with discrediting Starmer and who seem much less concerned to win the next GE. Well it won't silence them, but they'll just end up looking like the utter factional marginalised numpties that they are.

I doubt it will raise any money for the exchequer.

Each private school parent is effectively donating their place - and the funding that goes with it - to someone else, and paying private on top.

The state makes a net loss on each parent who decides to quit. And a 20% increase in costs, and closures of dozens of marginal independent schools, will certainly lead to a lot moving - as well as less employment for teachers as well.

It will make private education more elite, not less.
  • Options

Colour me unsurprised that you, a member of the Scotnazi Hall Monitor Woke Gestapo, are "compiling a little list"
  • Options

Yeur name vill alzo go on ze list!!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,036
    So many ‘only from the PB Tories, only on PB’ moments tonight I can only wonder if @tim is watching with a wry smile from afar
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Recollections may vary.

Ngozi Fulani is a thick trouble maker. I am mildly drunk, in St Andrews, on St Andrews Day, wearing a kilt. Several people have asked me in the course of the day where I am "really from." I have not felt offended by this. I read this story in reverse, as entitled Guardian black aristocracy picking on the white and elderly.
    Why "entitled"? I believe the correct terminology in this context is "uppity".
    Wonder what my home town has done to deserve your presence.
  • Options

Put me on the list. I think we should cut old people some slack. When she was born there were hardly any people of colour native to the U.K. (despite much revisionist history). Yes she has been unintentionally rude, but I’m sure that was not her intention.
    This reminds me of an older person being castigated for calling someone coloured rather than off colour. An older term that is now frowned on. But I don’t recall the government edict on usage.
    We see this with the drift in terminology. We are now onto the global south. What next?
    I believe it is now Global Majority, as Global South is deemed geographist

I do like "People Off Colour" tho
  • Options

FA confirm in a statement that Ben White has “left England’s training base in Al Wakrah and returned home for personal reasons. He is not expected to return to the squad for the remainder of the tournament.

We ask that the player’s privacy is respected at this moment in time.”

https://twitter.com/JamesOlley/status/1598024440327340032

That’s quite odd. He was reported as having an illness/bug but it seems that there could be more to it. It sounds rather ominous and one hopes he is okay.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Recollections may vary.

I don't think we should hound an old lady, but I also don't think that her behaviour would have passed as good manners even 50 years ago (regardless of the racism issue). It's never been appropriate to cross-question people at a social occasion when they don't seem to want to respond, least of all in the Palace.

That said, I'm not sure the fuss is helpful to anyone.
  • Options
    Di hated Lady Hussey too, so she's obvs a wrongun
  • Options

I wonder if @Theuniondivvie is actually and literally COMPILING A LIST

I see weird tiny crabbed handwriting, a well-thumbed John Menzies school notebook, and this elderly pink Scottish face furiously hunched over his "list" as the electricity meter runs out. Again
  • Options

Off colour?
  • Options

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Recollections may vary.

Having privileged access to a mouthpiece through which she can advertise her own importance to the world. 83 year olds are 83, why not just tell the confused old dear the answer to her question, first go?

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    edited November 2022

Not excusing Lady Hussey's behaviour but she is over 83 so would have remembered when Windrush first arrived. That may have been a question typical of her generation then even if unacceptable now.

My late grandmother was Sir Marmaduke Hussey's secretary for a time
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

The last thread was bad enough, dominated by this issue. My own view on the politics of it is that Rishi's a bit posh but so was Boris and so was Cameron and everyone knew it, so I'm not convinced this is the election winner Labour thinks it is.

I'm not sure that the perception of Sunak as a privileged oik had really sunk in yet, but I don't think that that is Starmer's main motivation for the policy.

The main electoral benefit to Labour is fiscal. It basically allows Labour to invest £1.7bn to turn around state education, without anyone being able to easily question where the money is coming from. And if the Conservatives do try to challenge the fiscal arithmetic, it'll just be another opportunity for Labour to dismiss their claims and bang on about what they think is going to be a highly popular policy.

There's also an internal niche benefit to Starmer. In any world of rational behaviour, it would totally silence his far left critics, those who seem obsessed with discrediting Starmer and who seem much less concerned to win the next GE. Well it won't silence them, but they'll just end up looking like the utter factional marginalised numpties that they are.

Each private school parent is effectively donating their place - and the funding that goes with it - to someone else, and paying private on top.

The state makes a net loss on each parent who decides to quit. And a 20% increase in costs, and closures of dozens of marginal independent schools, will certainly lead to a lot moving - as well as less employment for teachers as well.

It doesn't matter if kids suffer, Labour will have hit the "rich".
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I had no idea that private schools were VAT exempt. Seems ridiculous. I suspect many are similarly in the dark.

Let them pay VAT.

But, it’s not something I’m going lose sleep over either way, there are bigger issues out there.

Yup. It's not first order for me but it doesn't seem a sensible use of resources providing this tax break for the rich when the public finances are under such pressure.
    How many more state school places will need to be funded and will that cost more than is raised in VAT? The answer is probably yes so this policy will mean higher taxes elsewhere, spending cuts, or (the mostly likely option) reduced funding per pupil in state schooling.

It's one of those sugar rush policies for the left, it feels good while you hammer the rich but the end result is everyone ends up worse off.
    I think it is highly implausible that the number of pupils displaced into public education will be large enough to make the net benefit negative. Back of the envelope: suppose there was a 10% reduction in private school pupils. With x private school pupils initially and fees of y that means VAT revenues of 0.18xy. Since state school spending is I think about half per pupil what is spent privately that means extra spending of 0.05xy. So 0.13xy net revenue. If there were a 20% switch from private to state then your revenue would be 0.16xy with extra spending of 0.1xy, so net revenue of 0.06xy. You would need almost 30% to switch for net revenue to be negative, I think. That seems implausible for a 20% cost increase.
    All back of the envelope of course (eg net VAT revenues would be lower because the school could claim for VAT spent on equipment, but on the other hand spending displaced from private school fees would also be taxed) but I think it suggests that you'd need an implausibly large displacement effect for this policy to be net negative for the public finances.
    Of course these calculations may be defective, in which case I will blame my comprehensive education!
    But you aren't taking enough attrition into account, private schools will have to raise fees to make up for the revenue shortfalls so it won't be a simple 20% increase, it will be much higher.
    That means even more VAT revenue. Do you honestly think that there will be a 30% drop in numbers at private school?
    They can't afford the drop. Either they close down or increase the intake of rich Chinese students (who, insult to injury, presumably get the VAT back).
    The VAT back thing was removed by Hunt in his mini budget.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Colour me unsurprised that you, a member of the Scotnazi Hall Monitor Woke Gestapo, are "compiling a little list"
    My first inclination was to cut the old dear some slack. My wife can give you a long list of clueless old people making these kind of dumb comments, I'm sure that any person of colour in this country can do the same. But the account of the conversation that I heard did rather point to a relentless, even hostile, line of questioning. It wasn't a single, poorly thought out, comment. It's just sad that someone should be born in this country and live here their whole life for decades and still have to face this kind of ignorant crap.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I expect a government u turn as they'll screw kids but protect pensioners.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,741
    Any predictions for tonight's matches?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Not excusing Lady Hussey's behaviour but she is over 83 so would have remembered when Windrush first arrived. That may have been a question typical of her generation then even if unacceptable now.

It's actually quite an interesting question whether there is a widely acceptable form of words to ask someone from an ethnic minority what place their ancestors came from.
  • Options

Off colour?
    Damn auto correct…
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,741

I hope you never say the wrong thing when you're 83 years old.
  • Options

List so far:

Petrodamus (+6 or 7 previous incompetently constructed personas)
    Petrotubbs
    Pillsonella (+1), given a partial pass for relentless contrarianism
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Recollections may vary.

Having privileged access to a mouthpiece through which she can advertise her own importance to the world. 83 year olds are 83, why not just tell the confused old dear the answer to her question, first go?

She did answer the question first go. The old lady didn't like the answer and wouldn't shut up about it.
  • Options

"She often asked..." Patently demented, then, so deserves everything she gets on the grounds of age, mental frailty and skin colour.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

HYUFD said:

It's actually quite an interesting question whether there is a widely acceptable form of words to ask someone from an ethnic minority what place their ancestors came from.
    As a British woman of colour, where did your ancestors originate from?
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Recollections may vary.

I don't think we should hound an old lady, but I also don't think that her behaviour would have passed as good manners even 50 years ago (regardless of the racism issue). It's never been appropriate to cross-question people at a social occasion when they don't seem to want to respond, least of all in the Palace.

That said, I'm not sure the fuss is helpful to anyone.
    I don't know, it's given us something to argue about.
  • Options
    Leon said:

A kinder, sweeter lady you cannot imagine. Loving and warm. When I was upset by my fractured family she would feed me freshly made saffron buns in her house in the Cornish wilds, or hand me some coins to go down to the Carnkie sweet shop for a Curly Wurly

She kept me sane. I loved her dearly. As did everyone else. Yet she used the N word simply because she grew up in a very very different time. I do not judge her by the mores of 2022 (some of which are utterly farcical)

I don't disagree - it's obviously not great, but unless accompanied by prejudice and nastiness it's not the end of the world. We had a local Tory councillor who used it too (the woodpile phrase) - the party suspended him for a while, then let him back in. It was clear that he was an old man confusedly using an outdated metaphor and none of us in the other parties tried to make anything of it. A local black friend says that frankly he feels it's not a big deal in itself - he worries about companies that discreetly discriminate, police who stop black people with no evidence of wrong-doing, etc. not about slips of the tongue.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Top jobs attract people who went to top schools. No surprise there.

The aim should be to expand access to such schools which the scholarships and bursaries charitable status helps fund does

The priority ought to be to improve the schools that 93% of people go to.
    I think when I last checked about 12-15% went to a private school at some stage between the ages of 5-18.

It's 7% of overall numbers at any one time.
    Plus plenty of elite private schools in Singapore which tops the PISA rankings

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raffles_Institution
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You can't really throw that into an informal conversation; it reads like a census form.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You can't really throw that into an informal conversation; it reads like a census form.
    I think PC enough though based on my EDI training
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I think the usual posho form is 'where are your people from' which can cover anything from Dorset to Burundi. I might even give the silly old fool the benefit of the doubt if the conversation as reported didn't boil down to 'stop pretending to be British, where are you REALLY from?' over and over.
  • Options

That assumes zero price elasticity of demand for private education.

The reality is that raising the cost of private education by 20% is going to reduce demand for it. Now, we can argue about what the right elasticity is, but let's just assume that it's 1. So, a 20% increase in prices leads to a 20% decrease in demand.

This means that (a) the total tax take is going to be £1.4bn, not £1.7bn, and (b) the government will be picking up the tab for educating those kids where the parents can no longer afford private school fees.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Death and taxes rolled into one with a tax on aspiration

breathing
    Oooohhhh...

I love that spoiler thing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Serious (and I really mean serious) advice: do not try that one out in real life.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It's a good reminder that any party can pursue stupid policies, just for the optics.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Doesn't that just illustrate what a stupid question it is? Of all the things to ask, why that? Why not eg what are you here for? What does your organisation do? And take it from there.
    I wonder whether perhaps it does illustrate the thick posho mindset that the only thing that matters is who your family are not what you've done with your life.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Leon said:

Colour me surprised that you just made me laugh out loud!

• Options
    pillsbury said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Serious (and I really mean serious) advice: do not try that one out in real life.
    I'm majorly surprised that HYUFD is a British woman of colour tbh.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It's a good reminder that any party can pursue stupid policies, just for the optics.
    I don't know if you saw my earlier analysis, which suggested that it was unlikely that the policy would be revenue negative. So it doesn't seem like a stupid policy.
    Also, going to a state school doesn't equate to suffering.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think I'd say 'Do you have African/Asian (delete as applicable) heritage?'. I think they would then say 'No, Caribbean' etc.
  • Options

The fall of crypto billionaire Sam Bankman-Fried has been painted as a big blow to the Democratic party, whose candidates were major beneficiaries of his largesse. But in a new interview, Bankman-Fried has claimed he gave equally large amounts of money to Republicans.

“I donated to both parties. I donated about the same amount to both parties,” Bankman-Fried told the crypto commentator and citizen journalist Tiffany Fong.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/30/ftx-billionaire-sam-bankman-fried-dark-money-republicans

Because we should all believe everything Bankman-Fried says...
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    I'd rather see more thought around the entitlement to charitable status. How is it earned and lost?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I think the usual posho form is 'where are your people from' which can cover anything from Dorset to Burundi. I might even give the silly old fool the benefit of the doubt if the conversation as reported didn't boil down to 'stop pretending to be British, where are you REALLY from?' over and over.
    Interesting.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Recollections may vary.

Must have been tricky with Philip being the highest Peer in the land
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,552
    Perhaps private schools could absorb the cost of VAT without raising fees. They could, for example, have slightly larger class sizes, or spend less on expensive refurbishments and extra-curricular activities, or use more TAs and fewer qualified teachers.

After all, that's what state schools have to do all the time.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The reality is that raising the cost of private education by 20% is going to reduce demand for it. Now, we can argue about what the right elasticity is, but let's just assume that it's 1. So, a 20% increase in prices leads to a 20% decrease in demand.

This means that (a) the total tax take is going to be £1.4bn, not £1.7bn, and (b) the government will be picking up the tab for educating those kids where the parents can no longer afford private school fees.
    As noted earlier in the thread, even an implausibly large 20% reduction in the numbers of privately educated would still mean more money net of the additional costs to the state sector, back of the envelope.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

MaxPB said:

I don't know if you saw my earlier analysis, which suggested that it was unlikely that the policy

would be revenue negative. So it doesn't seem

like a stupid policy.

Also, going to a state school doesn't equate to

suffering.
    I think I’ve read “forced” into state schooling at least twice this evening.

Lolz etc

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think I'd say 'Do you have African/Asian (delete as applicable) heritage?'. I think they would then say 'No, Caribbean' etc.
    Depends how far you go back, ultimately we are all Africans. And then further back we lived in trees hiding from dinosaurs. And before that we were part of the Cambrian Explosion (no @ydoethur not that one) and didn’t yet have backbones. And before that we were flat diner plate sized blobs.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Doesn't that just illustrate what a stupid question it is? Of all the things to ask, why that? Why not eg what are you here for? What does your organisation do? And take it from there.
    I wonder whether perhaps it does illustrate the thick posho mindset that the only thing that matters is who your family are not what you've done with your life.
    Not really, I wasn't suggesting that it should be the only question one asks a new acquaintance, or even in the top 10, but equally in a conversation I don't think any polite enquiry should be taboo.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Interesting.
    Back in the good old days, you’d meet someone, give them your name and they’d ask if you were from the Wiltshire Tubbs, or the Yorkshire branch.
  • Options
    Get Michael White on the list

MichaelWhite
    @michaelwhite
    Of course, she almost certainly thought she was sticking to small talk. Where are you from ? A kinder person might have helped her out and answered what she was obviously asking. But she played her instead

https://twitter.com/michaelwhite/status/1598033595708633089
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,468

List so far:

Petrodamus (+6 or 7 previous incompetently constructed personas)
    Petrotubbs
    Pillsonella (+1), given a partial pass for relentless contrarianism
    From a brief and possibly incomplete understanding of the story, you can add me to the list of peole who think an 83 year old lady is not fair game for a pile-on for not being utterly 2022.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,347
    I like nothing more than to bore on at people about the scant details I know about the family history, and would only be too delighted for an opportunity to exchange such information, but then I've never had someone tell me to "go home" and I can see why it could be a different experience for those who have.

Which is a shame, because it means I daren't ask anyone if there's any risk of causing offence. Sometimes someone will volunteer some information so you have an opportunity to ask related questions with much less risk.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I've been asked "Where are you from?" when I was in a pub in Liverpool, "Rainhill," I said, an L35 postcode.

"No," he said (I'd never seen him before). "Where are you really from?"

It was curiosity only - Scousers are like that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not really, I wasn't suggesting that it should be the only question one asks a new acquaintance, or even in the top 10, but equally in a conversation I don't think any polite enquiry should be taboo.
    It's not polite to ask someone where they're from and then refuse to believe the answer they give you.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I believe it is now Global Majority, as Global South is deemed geographist

I do like "People Off Colour" tho
    "South" is now a pejorative term?!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,848

Leon said:

I don't disagree - it's obviously not great, but unless accompanied by prejudice and nastiness it's not the end of the world. We had a local Tory councillor who used it too (the woodpile phrase) - the party suspended him for a while, then let him back in. It was clear that he was an old man confusedly using an outdated metaphor and none of us in the other parties tried to make anything of it. A local black friend says that frankly he feels it's not a big deal in itself - he worries about companies that discreetly discriminate, police who stop black people with no evidence of wrong-doing, etc. not about slips of the tongue.
    Hostile intent does matter, as you say. Use of an offensive term may be wrong but excusable - coloured person/person of colour is an easy one for someone to get confused about innocently, whereas other terms it is and always was obvious and less forebearance should be given - since ignorance or carelessness deserves a different reaction to hostility, even if that hostility might be politely worded. Not all sins are equal.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,347

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Potentially it opens up a rich seam of family legend, anecdote and myth. A much more interesting set of topics than a simple family lineage.

Why else are the ancestry shows and websites so popular?
  • Options
    Would Lady Hussey likely have visited every country in the Commonwealth?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Depends how far you go back, ultimately we are all Africans. And then further back we lived in trees hiding from dinosaurs. And before that we were part of the Cambrian Explosion (no @ydoethur not that one) and didn’t yet have backbones. And before that we were flat diner plate sized blobs.
    My blobs were more refined and dignified than other people's, of that I am sure.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Cookie,

It can be in parts of the North of England.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

As noted earlier in the thread, even an implausibly large 20% reduction in the numbers of privately educated would still mean more money net of the additional costs to the state sector, back of the envelope.
    I agree it is almost certainly revenue positive for the government.

With that said...

It is worth noting that Central Government (which receives VAT) benefits, while local government (which funds schools) does not.
  • Options
    For some people their heritage is very important and they will volunteer it, but there's not much point in enquiring if they do not. I have asked people about their names, which might count as a micro aggression, but names of a less than common type don't guarantee someone is of a particular heritage, so I think it is fair game. If you've never seen the names Ruaridh or Prydderch you might well be curious at their provenance.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I've been asked "Where are you from?" when I was in a pub in Liverpool, "Rainhill," I said, an L35 postcode.

Yeah, like people in the West of Scotland are fascinated with your educational background.
    "And which school did you go to?"
  • Options
    "Ngozi Fulani. That's a really interesting name. Do you mind if I ask where it originates from?"

Is that polite?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    pillsbury said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not without someone filming it at any rate.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It's not polite to ask someone where they're from and then refuse to believe the answer they give you.
    I agree - I think it's quite clear from my post that I was using this incident as a jumping off point to a general question about language, rather than obliquely defending Lady Sarah.
  • Options

"Ngozi Fulani. That's a really interesting name. Do you mind if I ask where it originates from?"

Is that polite?

I think so, since it isn't saying the name is odd or weird or presuming the holder comes from a particular place.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I had a similar experience in a club in Liverpool: a cheerfully drunk scouse girl in front of me in the cloakroom queue overheard my accent and asked where I was from. "Stockport". I said. "Oh my God, there's no way you're from Stockport. Where are you realy from." Baffling.

A girlfriend of mine faced a similar line of conversation once. She was born in Newcastle, parents from South Shields, had lived in Durham most of her life. Not a strong northeastern accent, but recognisable as such to an outsider. In her local pub in Durham, she ordered a bottle of Newcastle Brown at the bar, to be regaled by the adjacent customer with "I bet they don't have that where you're from." Doubly baffling, since not only was where she was from "here", but Newcastle Brown was, in those days, available in almosr every pub in the country (and maybe still is for al I know).
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aren't all humans of African heritage?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I agree it is almost certainly revenue positive for the government.

With that said...

It is worth noting that Central Government (which receives VAT) benefits, while local government (which funds schools) does not.
    Local government is funded directly for schools by central government according to pupil numbers. And central government funds academies and free schools directly.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,723

HYUFD said:

At a social event at the Palace, why would anyone need to ask? There are many other things to talk about including the supposed theme of the reception.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    Bonkers penalty decision
  • Options
    VAR is a joke.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,981
    Justice done.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332
    Another absurd VAR decision. Justice done.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited November 2022
    As outrageous a penalty decision as Maradona's hand of God.

Did not deserve to score. Maybe God had a hand in it.....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

At a social event at the Palace, why would anyone need to ask? There are many other things to talk about including the supposed theme of the reception.
    People at the Palace might be interested in Commonwealth connections
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,723

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

People at the Palace might be interested in Commonwealth connections
    Then they should accept her first answer, from Lambeth or whatever, if they feel the need to ask at all.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

The poor old dear is well out of it. I'd rather die than spend five minutes at a creepfest like that. If the guests weren't so besotted with their own importance they'd come to the same conclusion.
  • Options
    Christine McVie has died.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Cookie,

It can be in parts of the North of England.

There are different parts of 'the North'? I thought it was a homogenous mass of incomprehensible troglodytes.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

MaxPB said:

I don't know if you saw my earlier analysis, which suggested that it was unlikely that the policy would be revenue negative. So it doesn't seem like a stupid policy.
    Also, going to a state school doesn't equate to suffering.
    That 10% attrition rate is too low because some smaller private schools will just close.
This discussion has been closed.