Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LAB’s VAT on private education plan set to be big issue – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited December 2022 in General
LAB’s VAT on private education plan set to be big issue – politicalbetting.com

Intriguing idea that removing VAT exemptions from private schools would be “class war.” Not a term I think is necessarily helpful but since it’s been brought up, here’s an alternative take on class war in modern Britain. pic.twitter.com/MWAXcTYWyK

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Is this LAB's tax on aspiration?
  • Options

Yes.
  • Options
    So many people owe the Duke and Duchess of Sussex an apology.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,512
    Copied from FPT, but definitely on topic::Sometimes scandals can be revealing, generally. When the news of the Varsity Blues broke in the United States, I was astounded by the sums some parents had spent to get the their kids into the "right" universities. It couldn't be for the learning I thought, since the amounts spent could have hired private tutors with PhDs.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varsity_Blues_scandal

It seemed to me that there were two things going on: first, that parents were competing with other parents, second that parents were trying to make sure their kids met the right people, for business contacts, and for marriage.

(I don't know whether those thoughts apply to schools in he UK.)
  • Options
    This policy from Starmer is going to make me campaign and knock up the voters for the Tories at the next general election.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,436
    edited November 2022
    The last thread was bad enough, dominated by this issue. My own view on the politics of it is that Rishi's a bit posh but so was Boris and so was Cameron and everyone knew it, so I'm not convinced this is the election winner Labour thinks it is.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731

I’ll go one better than that, I’ll buy his book.

I might even read it.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Totally disagree with the premise:

'The judiciary, for instance, should surely reflect society much better.'

No. It doesn't need to reflect society. It needs to be qualified and respected; utterly impartial.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Maybe not "class war", but the politics of envy? Hell, yes.

Starmer started with the state money that Sunak’s old school, Winchester, receives.

I asked this question of Jonathan on the last thread and never got a response: what state money does Winchester receive?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    ping said:

I might even read it.
    I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,744
    I would abolish private schools and bring back grammar schools.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,005

This policy from Starmer is going to make me campaign and knock up the voters for the Tories at the next general election.

Why? Because it makes private education unaffordable for even you?
  • Options
    ping said:

I might even read it.
    Another reason they fled.

Police investigated “many very real and disgusting” threats against the Duchess of Sussex while she was living in Britain, the Met’s former counter terror chief, has disclosed.

Asked in an interview if the threats against the duchess were credible, Neil Basu replied: “Absolutely, and if you’d seen the stuff that was written and you were receiving it . . . the kind of rhetoric that’s online, if you don’t know what I know, you would feel under threat all of the time.”

He said that there had been threats to Meghan more than once, adding: “We had teams investigating it. People have been prosecuted for those threats.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/meghan-was-under-constant-threat-says-former-police-chief-neil-basu-l6cv3htr6
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    I remember when the Monday Club used to campaign to make school fees tax deductible.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    FPT
    Mortimer said:

DJ41 said:

Many Oxford and Cambridge graduates will jump to defend the college system even though they have never previously heard anybody criticise it in their entire lives. They just "know" it's good. It must be good, innit? As for the charity status of elite private schools, it's only from a patrician point of view that it makes sense to believe that institutions for the training of an elite are charitably serving the public interest.

This explains the point well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqoGcC4S5jk#t=65s

A famous Bursar of King's College Cambridge called John Maynard Keynes wrote in his "General Theory" that there are dangerous human proclivities that can be made to flow into comparatively harmless channels by the existence of opportunities for amassing private wealth, proclivities that would otherwise find their outlet in cruelty and the reckless pursuit of personal power and authority.

It's the same old idea - the white man's burden - it's in the best interest of the ruled to be ruled over by those who rule over them. Because if the rulers can't rule the way they want, then they'll get really nasty, and you wouldn't want that.

Hundreds of thousands of Communist officials proving his point wave hello
    Slaveowners in the Americas? King Leopold II of Belgium? Do you think they weren't motivated by money?
  • Options

"Blair, Cameron, Johnson, Sunak, TSE - we public schoolboys have to stick together!"
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,059

The last thread was bad enough, dominated by this issue. My own view on the politics of it is that Rishi's a bit posh but so was Boris and so was Cameron and everyone knew it, so I'm not convinced this is the election winner Labour thinks it is.

Sunak is the richest person ever to be prime minster. In the past Britons have tended not to mind very much about their political leaders being wealthy. (We are still ruled by a King, after all; egalitarian, we’re not.) But they do expect their prime ministers to be in touch, and to know what people are experiencing. In this exchange Starmer turned Sunak being privileged into a riff about him being clueless, and it worked.

Starmer ended with a spiel about Sunak being weak. (“Every week he gets pushed around and every week he gets weaker”). Sunak has his own weak jibe in response. (“Too weak to confirm no one on the picket line.”) This sounds like an argument about character. In reality, a leader’s “strength” or “weakness” is probably 80% a consequence of political context (how much space they have available to act), and at most only 20% a matter of personal authority and leadership virility. But the public at large won’t take much convincing that Sunak is weak, given everything that is happening in his party and in the country at large (see 9.21am), and so this is an easy hit for Labour.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/nov/30/rishi-sunak-keir-starmer-pmqs-latest-live-news-uk-politics?page=with:block-63874d448f08ec68b6015133#block-63874d448f08ec68b6015133
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,334
    edited November 2022

The last thread was bad enough, dominated by this issue. My own view on the politics of it, is that Rishi's a bit posh but so was Boris and so was Cameron and everyone knew it, so I'm not convinced this is the election winner Labour thinks it is.

It is anti aspirations and outside of the Etons of this world there are many private schools who contribute to their community with use of their facilities and of course bursaries

Ending charity status is likely to see the loss of these advantages and also children leaving and adding to the state sector

I expect in this climate it will help Labour but you only need to see just how many Labour mps were privately educated themselves or their children to realise the hypocrisy in this policy
  • Options
    eek said:

No, it's still affordable for me, it's a shit policy that will hit some people and force them to put them their kids in the state sector where it will means teachers will have to do even more with less.

As a saver, I saved up for my kids education a decade ago, not everyone is in such a lucky position.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,361
    Add Vat to council tax for those in full time education paid for by the state
  • Options
    Denmark finishing bottom of the group is a bit of a shocker.
  • Options
    Hurrah.

Savers can access the highest interest rate in almost a decade from Thursday, following the launch of a new “best buy” account paying 7pc.

First Direct has announced it will double the rate on its regular saver from 3.5pc to 7pc on Thursday December 1. It will replace Monmouthshire Building Society, which offers an account paying 5.5pc, as the market-leading provider.

This is the highest rate since January 2013, according to the analyst Moneyfacts.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/savings/top-savings-rate-hits-10-year-high-7pc/
  • Options
    VAR has just taken back my France/Tunisia draw winnings!

My tactic this World Cup has been to bet against the team most physically tired in the last half hour or so, and the Tunisians were out on their feet so I backed the draw (ie France to equalize).
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,473

Yes.
    I think it was back in the 80s that Lab last proposed this.
    I think the "tax on aspiration" argument was used back then, with some success.
    That said, private schooling was, I think, a bit less exclusive back then. I think it's a lot less affordable now, and there are fewer ways into it apart from having very very rich parents.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Well done Tunisia.

And the Aussies for progressing, even if they did crush Tunisian dreams in the process.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,855
    Nigelb said:

Tory members think Sunak one of worst-performing members of cabinet, survey suggests
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/nov/30/rishi-sunak-keir-starmer-pmqs-latest-live-news-uk-politics

They didn't want him, and even if they then accepted it was necessary for him to replace Truss, given other options, they do so begrudgingly.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,043
    I had no idea that private schools were VAT exempt. Seems ridiculous. I suspect many are similarly in the dark.

Let them pay VAT.

But, it’s not something I’m going lose sleep over either way, there are bigger issues out there.
  • Options

Hurrah.

Savers can access the highest interest rate in almost a decade from Thursday, following the launch of a new “best buy” account paying 7pc.

First Direct has announced it will double the rate on its regular saver from 3.5pc to 7pc on Thursday December 1. It will replace Monmouthshire Building Society, which offers an account paying 5.5pc, as the market-leading provider.

This is the highest rate since January 2013, according to the analyst Moneyfacts.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/savings/top-savings-rate-hits-10-year-high-7pc/

Huzzah for the savers!
  • Options
    'Yes' leads by 4 points.

Scotland Independence Referendum Voting Intention (26-27 November):

Yes, for Independence: 49% (+5)
    No, against Independence: 45% (-2)
    Don't Know: 5% (-4)

Changes +/- 18 September 2021

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1597999017367343104
  • Options
    Big shifts in Redfield and Wilton's Scotland poll - SNP have a 10 point lead:

Scottish National Party 41% (-4)
    Labour 31% (+12)
    Conservative 16% (-9)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (+2)
    Green 2% (+1)
    Reform 2% (new)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes with GE2019.

https://twitter.com/cjayanetti/status/1597999979745812481
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

eek said:

No, it's still affordable for me, it's a shit policy that will hit some people and force them to put them their kids in the state sector where it will means teachers will have to do even more with less.
    Blimey. God forbid these people should be "forced" to put their kids through the same experience the bulk of the population has to endure. You should think about the implications of what you are saying.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,024

I would like to apologize to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

Unfortunately, I haven't wronged them in any way, so I shan't be able to.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,024
    Sean_F said:

ping said:

I might even read it.
    I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.
    You prefer the audiobook, huh?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    We experimented with a comprehensive educated PM recently. We shall not be repeating that experiment any time soon.
  • Options

As ever it's about cumulative effect of events on a party's brand. In previous years it wouldn't have resonated. Now? Any old crap will both be believed, and interpreted in the most negative way for the Tories.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989
    Anyone get an Australia Tunisia double?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Yes.
    I think it was back in the 80s that Lab last proposed this.
    I think the "tax on aspiration" argument was used back then, with some success.
    That said, private schooling was, I think, a bit less exclusive back then. I think it's a lot less affordable now, and there are fewer ways into it apart from having very very rich parents.
    The latter point, of course, being in part because Blair abolished Assisted Places.
  • Options

Hurrah.

Max investment 35p a month or thereabouts
  • Options

This is an attempt at parody, presumably.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,352

'Yes' leads by 4 points.

Scotland Independence Referendum Voting Intention (26-27 November):

Yes, for Independence: 49% (+5)
    No, against Independence: 45% (-2)
    Don't Know: 5% (-4)

Changes +/- 18 September 2021

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1597999017367343104

Scots not taking our World Cup qualification very well
  • Options

Labour 31% (+12)
    Conservative 16% (-9)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (+2)
    Green 2% (+1)
    Reform 2% (new)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes with GE2019.

LAB coming back into it in Scotland. They really need around 15 to 20 seats there to get the overall majority.

Not happening for CON in Scotland. Might hold the two borders seats and that's it.
  • Options

Labour 31% (+12)
    Conservative 16% (-9)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (+2)
    Green 2% (+1)
    Reform 2% (new)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes with GE2019.

Probably a more significant poll than the independence ref intention. A 5% swing from the SNP to SLAB would see them draw level.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
    Mortimer said:

No. It doesn't need to reflect society. It needs to be qualified and respected; utterly impartial.

Diversity can have first order effects and second order ones. As you say, in the case of justice, we don't want first order ones: it should not matter which judge presides over a case. But the second order effect of judges spending time at work with colleagues from a variety of backgrounds has value.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Sunak is the richest person ever to be prime minster. In the past Britons have tended not to mind very much about their political leaders being wealthy. (We are still ruled by a King, after all; egalitarian, we’re not.) But they do expect their prime ministers to be in touch, and to know what people are experiencing. In this exchange Starmer turned Sunak being privileged into a riff about him being clueless, and it worked.

Starmer ended with a spiel about Sunak being weak. (“Every week he gets pushed around and every week he gets weaker”). Sunak has his own weak jibe in response. (“Too weak to confirm no one on the picket line.”) This sounds like an argument about character. In reality, a leader’s “strength” or “weakness” is probably 80% a consequence of political context (how much space they have available to act), and at most only 20% a matter of personal authority and leadership virility. But the public at large won’t take much convincing that Sunak is weak, given everything that is happening in his party and in the country at large (see 9.21am), and so this is an easy hit for Labour.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/nov/30/rishi-sunak-keir-starmer-pmqs-latest-live-news-uk-politics?page=with:block-63874d448f08ec68b6015133#block-63874d448f08ec68b6015133
    First, the reference to being ruled by a King is such a non sequiter - plenty of non egalitarian societies not ruled by kings after all.

And I'm not sure we do expect our PMs to be in touch or know what people are experiencing. I think so long as we think they will improve our situation, regardless of how well they know what people are experiencing, people don't care.

However, the basic point that Sunak appears weak to the public, because his position and the context is weak regardless of his personal quality, I think is true.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Yes, but they've realised that the country is no longer aspirational so this is a vote winner.
  • Options

Labour 31% (+12)
    Conservative 16% (-9)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (+2)
    Green 2% (+1)
    Reform 2% (new)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes with GE2019.

Probably a more significant poll than the independence ref intention. A 5% swing from the SNP to SLAB would see them draw level.
    It is quite bizarre that the SNP have seen a notable fall while YES has seen a notable rise

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,043
    Chris said:

In the case of that particular poster, quite possibly not
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Anyone who thinks that private schools are a meaningful driver of achievement in life has a fundamental misunderstanding of human nature.

They are a symptom, not a cause: the cause is aspirational wealthy parents being prepared to do almost anything to ensure that their offspring has either the same chances in life that they did, or significantly better ones.

The only ways to "fix" the "inequality" that results in, are to either confiscate all their money, or ban them from caring about their children, or forcing all parents to care as much. None of which are close to viable.

Make private schools more expensive by removing tax breaks, and most parents affected will find some way to cope (and the schools will pare back their scholarship programmes to help meet them halfway). Ban them outright and the parents will find other ways to use their money to achieve the same general goals (after school clubs, tutors, etc).

Sure, you can make the argument in pure economic terms that the Treasury would rather have cash now than the potential benefits of the scholarship programme drifting through in future. But any politician who genuinely thinks this will affect inequality is someone who should not be allowed within a million miles of elected office.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Anyone get an Australia Tunisia double?

Nah too busy spending my Iran winning Group B winnings trying to work out where Argentina will finish tonight.
  • Options

Hurrah.

It's worth a whole £136 per year as it's a regular saver account.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    tlg86 said:

We experimented with a comprehensive educated PM recently. We shall not be repeating that experiment any time soon.

It was the Etonite chancellor who really fucked up.

It’s the lack of contrition that is a consequence of his public school education. I think Truss, deep down, knows she really fucked up.

The public school prick doesn’t think he’s done anything wrong. On reflection, I’m fairly ambivalent about the taxation of these schools. It’s the culture that needs to change. Not a couple of token poor kids on scholarships, or opening up the swimming pool to the plebs on sunday evenings, or whatever.

Real culture change. Us normal people, with normal educations, understand that actions have consequences. The pricks that these institutions churn out, don’t.

• Options
    kle4 said:

As ever it's about cumulative effect of events on a party's brand. In previous years it wouldn't have resonated. Now? Any old crap will both be believed, and interpreted in the most negative way for the Tories.
    Actually, I think the main political benefit is that it distracts Conservatives from their real weaknesses, in the real world, with the cost of living crisis and so on, but also in parliament where Rishi is cos-playing Boris, both with sub-optimal Cabinet appointments but also with the same approach to PMQs: do not attempt to engage with the question but take a wild swing with any old nonsense. The public can see how their lives are, and MPs can see through the rest. If Rishi continues like this (or like Boris) into the summer, I can see yet another leadership election.
  • Options
    What does this mean for language schools and adult learning? If those are also no longer exempted for VAT as private funded places of learning it will lead to turmoil among those markets.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yes, but they've realised that the country is no longer aspirational so this is a vote winner.
    Or perhaps that defending tax breaks for the top 6% of the population is a vote loser?
  • Options

I had no idea that private schools were VAT exempt. Seems ridiculous. I suspect many are similarly in the dark.

Let them pay VAT.

But, it’s not something I’m going lose sleep over either way, there are bigger issues out there.

Yup. It's not first order for me but it doesn't seem a sensible use of resources providing this tax break for the rich when the public finances are under such pressure.
  • Options
    The country has nearly run out of prison places, the government confirmed today as it made an emergency request to use police cells for the first time in 14 years.

Damian Hinds, the prisons minister, blamed the crisis on a “sudden increase” in the prison population as a result of the barristers’ strike over the summer.

The drop in trials led to a spike in the number of offenders being held in prison on remand, which was already abnormally high owing to the courts backlog caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-runs-out-prison-cells-space-emergency-government-9p75b68v0
  • Options
    Chris said:

MaxPB said:

Or perhaps that defending tax breaks for the top 6% of the population is a vote loser?
    Tony Blair wisely pointed out that there's many times more voters who aspire to be part of the 6% than are in it. That was true in 1997 when the UK was still an aspiration nation, now it isn't.
  • Options

Let them pay VAT.

Yup. It's not first order for me but it doesn't seem a sensible use of resources providing this tax break for the rich when the public finances are under such pressure.
    How many more state school places will need to be funded and will that cost more than is raised in VAT? The answer is probably yes so this policy will mean higher taxes elsewhere, spending cuts, or (the mostly likely option) reduced funding per pupil in state schooling.

It's one of those sugar rush policies for the left, it feels good while you hammer the rich but the end result is everyone ends up worse off.
  • Options
    Reckon Denmark replace Wales as most disappointing side in the competition.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Chris said:

MaxPB said:

Tony Blair wisely pointed out that there's many times more voters who aspire to be part of the 6% than are in it. That was true in 1997 when the UK was still an aspiration nation, now it isn't.
    I'm sure a lot of people still aspire to be rich. If fewer people think the rich should benefit from tax breaks at the expense of the rest, then good.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,719

eek said:

As a saver bloke whose family paid for a privileged education and bought him his first house, whose said privileged education gave him three times as much chance as a state educated child to become a lawyer, I saved up for my kids education a decade ago [so that I can perpetuate the inequality down the generations], not everyone is in such a lucky position [too right, pal!].
    Sorted your typos out for you.
  • Options
    I never aspired to send my children to private school.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Chris said:

MaxPB said:

Lockdown has turned us into a nation of hoodie-wearing stay-at-homes. Fearful and anxious. This feeds into a loss of aspiration, people prefer security and a nice cuppa, and they want the state to provide this

However, this is a worldwide phenomenon. See the Japanese and the Thais still 100% wearing masks OUTSIDE

Covid has made the world statist, even communist. Perhaps that was China's fiendish plan all along. Tho it doesn't seem to be panning out too well for them, either
  • Options

The country has nearly run out of prison places, the government confirmed today as it made an emergency request to use police cells for the first time in 14 years.

Damian Hinds, the prisons minister, blamed the crisis on a “sudden increase” in the prison population as a result of the barristers’ strike over the summer.

The drop in trials led to a spike in the number of offenders being held in prison on remand, which was already abnormally high owing to the courts backlog caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-runs-out-prison-cells-space-emergency-government-9p75b68v0

If you find yourself in such deep shit over a single brief strike, then clearly things were already very bad.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Let them pay VAT.

Hunt’s “painful” budget was ridiculously generous to the wealthy. Phasing in the CGT changes - and leaving the headline rate unchanged was absurd.
  • Options

eek said:

As a saver bloke whose family paid for a privileged education and bought him his first house, whose said privileged education gave him three times as much chance as a state educated child to become a lawyer, I saved up for my kids education a decade ago [so that I can perpetuate the inequality down the generations], not everyone is in such a lucky position [too right, pal!].
    Fake news. I bought my first house.

I was like 21, there was no way I was getting a mortgage straight out of university, so my mother persuaded my father to take out a mortgage with me on it as well.

Ok they helped with the deposit, and grandma and grandad Eagles helped with the furnishings and I paid them back.
  • Options
    Christmas party at The Ivy, Covent Garden. But I went to a Chrimbo party yesterday at La Fromagerie, Marylebone

Go or not go? Am a bit knacked
  • Options
    Leon said:

Labour 31% (+12)
    Conservative 16% (-9)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (+2)
    Green 2% (+1)
    Reform 2% (new)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes with GE2019.

It is quite bizarre that the SNP have seen a notable fall while YES has seen a notable rise

A 4% Yes lead is pretty poor given the circumstances... strongly suggests that Sturgeon would lose a referendum if it happened under Labour. Though she'd lose the 'plebiscite election' in any case based on those polling numbers.
    If Labour win the next election the union is probably safe until the 2030s.
  • Options
    Are private schools such a shrewd investment any more, with Oxbridge conspicuously 'outreaching' to inner-urban comprehensives? The days have long gone when a boy from a top public school could waltz in unopposed. Gender balance started the rot 40 years ago and diversity is the icing on the cake. As long as Oxbridge continue to get the geniuses (about 1% of the student body) they're not too bothered about the rest.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2022
    Excellent idea. Time to burn the Old School tie principle once and for all. Parent's who put their son's name down for Eton (often while waiting outside the maternity ward) are only ever doing to buy privilege or -even worse- for dynastic reasons.

Time to make it as difficult as possible

• Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Chris said:

MaxPB said:

Lockdown has turned us into a nation of hoodie-wearing stay-at-homes. Fearful and anxious. This feeds into a loss of aspiration, people prefer security and a nice cuppa, and they want the state to provide this

However, this is a worldwide phenomenon. See the Japanese and the Thais still 100% wearing masks OUTSIDE

Covid has made the world statist, even communist. Perhaps that was China's fiendish plan all along. Tho it doesn't seem to be panning out too well for them, either
    Yes, COVID has turned the country into a bit of a wet wipe. We have leaders who reflect that as well in Starmer and Rishi. Neither are particularly interesting or have new ideas to push us forwards as a society, just more of the same but with higher taxes and less fun.
  • Options
    VAT is meant to be a tax on luxuries.
    Why shouldn't it be applied to private education?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Roger said:

Excellent idea. Time to burn the Old School tie principle once and for all. Parent's who put their son's name down for Eton (often while waiting outside the maternity ward) are only ever doing to buy privilege or -even worse- for dynastic reasons.

Parents who want their children to succeed in life are just the absolute worst, aren't they?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

VAT is meant to be a tax on what? Loopiest claim ever made on PB.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Christmas party at The Ivy, Covent Garden. But I went to a Chrimbo party yesterday at La Fromagerie, Marylebone

At least they won't give you cheese.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Next to the flat where the murderer lived in Hitchcock's Frenzy. Sorry for spoilers. Yes, go. You can always duck out early and get a cab home if you are flagging.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
    Is everyone in favour of VAT on private schools also in favour of VAT on private medicine? If not, what do you see as the defining difference?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,845
    Chris said:

eek said:

Blimey. God forbid these people should be "forced" to put their kids through the same experience the bulk of the population has to endure. You should think about the implications of what you are saying.
    Or you should, the bulk of the population got the education I got it was shit how dare people be able to avoid it. The word you use "endure" is pretty telling
  • Options
    edited November 2022

eek said:

Fake news. I bought my first house.

I was like 21, there was no way I was getting a mortgage straight out of university, so my mother persuaded my father to take out a mortgage with me on it as well.

Ok they helped with the deposit, and grandma and grandad Eagles helped with the furnishings and I paid them back.
    Tbf, I don't doubt you're a clever, hard-working guy who would have succeeded with less help anyway.

It's the Tim-nice-but-dims who sailed through private school and Oxbridge with as little talent as the average supermarket shelf-stacker*, that really piss me off.

They take up, and screw-up, roles way beyond their capability because they've got the paper qualifications and/or the connections. And the country is the poorer because of it.

I saw lots of them in the finance industry.

Rant over ;-)

(*Unfair on shelf-stackers, to whom I apologise.)
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    MaxPB said:

Let them pay VAT.

How many more state school places will need to be funded and will that cost more than is raised in VAT? The answer is probably yes so this policy will mean higher taxes elsewhere, spending cuts, or (the mostly likely option) reduced funding per pupil in state schooling.

It's one of those sugar rush policies for the left, it feels good while you hammer the rich but the end result is everyone ends up worse off.
    I would be surprised if this led to a significant drop in the numbers privately educated. I think much more likely that a) private schools will partly eat the cost change b) parents will spend more c) parents will shift down to cheaper private schools.
  • Options
    Roger said:

But, Rog, take a look at your Slavic neighbours, the ones whose body parts are not in small plastic bags following aviation mishaps. Nomenklatura gonna nomenk, irrespective of whether their country has a private education option.

20% hike on fees gonna price 20% of indigenous punters out of the market, and the gap will be filled by Chinese and Russian hyper rich. Not in the country's interests.

• Options
    This may test Caroline Nokes “Trans Women are Women” to destruction:

Jamie Wallis, the MP who claimed before his trial for crashing a car while dressed as a woman (in which the judge said he was 'not credible') that he 'IDs' as a woman, and ran a 'sugar daddy' website, has been named a member of the UK parliament's Women and Equalities Committee

https://twitter.com/ripx4nutmeg/status/1597982021988384768

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935

Chris said:

In the case of that particular poster, quite possibly not
    A well named poster, as he knows the square root of
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Let them pay VAT.

It's the sort of policy that Blair used to hint at to throw Red Meat at the left wing members and then found more important things to legislate on.

I suspect this could be the same.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    dixiedean said:

Not even luxuries. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/616728
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

Roger said:

But, Rog, take a look at your Slavic neighbours, the ones whose body parts are not in small plastic bags following aviation mishaps. Nomenklatura gonna nomenk, irrespective of whether their country has a private education option.

20% hike on fees gonna price 20% of indigenous punters out of the market, and the gap will be filled by Chinese and Russian hyper rich. Not in the country's interests.

Well, it would have been but give last weekend's announcement about restricting student numbers (and screwing up university finances at the same time) that option is no longer available.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,552
    All this talk of a "tax on aspiration" really does my head in. It's utter nonsense. Are people seriously suggesting that the 7% who have the privilege of private education are aspirational for their kids, but the remaining 93% aren't? Or that the 93% who don't go private are sitting around resenting the fact that they can't afford it?

So for what it's worth here's my "aspiration". That as a nation we choose to spend as much money as we can afford on a brilliant, high-quality state education system in which every single kid, whatever their background, can benefit from superb teaching and an excellent curriculum designed to maximise each student's achievements and help them to reach whatever role they aspire to.

That's real aspiration. And there isn't a touch of class envy in it.
  • Options
    Is tax on education a Brexit benefit?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Not even luxuries. https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/search-vat-rates/T/toilet-rolls.aspx
    That's (Southern) Ireland
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Not even luxuries. https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/search-vat-rates/T/toilet-rolls.aspx
    That's Ireland.
  • Options
    Rather than VAT on private education, just charge an addition 5% income tax to all those privately educated.
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

dixiedean said:

VAT is meant to be a tax on what? Loopiest claim ever made on PB.
    Well what is it then?
    The clue's in the name.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

That's Ireland.
    Haha yes - my bad!

Still true though

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/616728
  • Options

Leon said:

Next to the flat where the murderer lived in Hitchcock's Frenzy. Sorry for spoilers. Yes, go. You can always duck out early and get a cab home if you are flagging.
    You're right. I'm being a pussy. I spent the entirety of winter 2021 yearning for Xmas parties, when everything was shut, and now here I am lamenting that I have 2 in a row

It's the new Covid mentality again. STAY HOME. Pathetic
  • Options
    edited November 2022

All this talk of a "tax on aspiration" really does my head in. It's utter nonsense. Are people seriously suggesting that the 7% who have the privilege of private education are aspirational for their kids, but the remaining 93% aren't? Or that the 93% who don't go private are sitting around resenting the fact that they can't afford it?

So for what it's worth here's my "aspiration". That as a nation we choose to spend as much money as we can afford on a brilliant, high-quality state education system in which every single kid, whatever their background, can benefit from superb teaching and an excellent curriculum designed to maximise each student's achievements and help them to reach whatever role they aspire to.

That's real aspiration. And there isn't a touch of class envy in it.

Fine, what do you want to cut to pay for it, or which taxes will you raise, and don't give me small numbers, this needs £40bn of additional money there's no "tax on the rich" that would pay for it. I'm all for cutting other spending to do it, are you?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2022
    Mortimer said:

Don't the two go together? Everything about the judicial system is supposed to ensure that the scales are balanced evenly including being judged by a jury of 'your peers'. There have been too many historical examples where 'Your Peers' was defined incorrectly as 'Your Betters' Your Peers means your equals. People like you.
  • Options
    The government will earn a fuckload from VAT on Uni tuition fees
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,816
    Leon said:

Labour 31% (+12)
    Conservative 16% (-9)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (+2)
    Green 2% (+1)
    Reform 2% (new)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes with GE2019.

There are quite a few Slab voters who vote for indy as well. And of course there are the SG voters too, and also some folk such as Malky. SNP vote share isn't ever a neat drop onto pro-yes voting for that reason to begin with.
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

Roger said:

Would the Chinese and Russians be able to claim back the VAT, just like any other export?
  • Options
    Labour leader Keir Starmer’s net approval rating in Scotland stands at +11%, an impressive 30-point improvement on the rating of -19% he held in September 2021. 35% (+16) of Scottish voters approve of Starmer’s job performance, against 24% (-14) who disapprove. A still sizeable section of the respondents (35%, -3) neither approve nor disapprove of Starmer’s performance.

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/scottish-independence-referendum--westminster-voting-intention-26-27-november-2022/

This discussion has been closed.