Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

All Trussed up and nowhere to go – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,412
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Sometimes it's like a glorified Neighbourhood Watch scheme on here.

Busybodies peering out of their net curtains in their expensive houses, on the look out for wokeness, violent foreigners, disgraceful TV ads with minorities in them, grubby eco-terrorists, and all other manner of badness. And then reporting them to the PB community so that we can all 'tut' in disapproval. Shame.

Who has called the ads disgraceful? It’s an observation.
    Yes I know, and it's an observation that, if I recall correctly, has been repeated quite frequently over a period of time by you (and others). I'm guess I'm just curious as to why this particular aspect of media analysis is so beguiling to you and others, when there's lots of other, and more interesting, stuff to analyse in media representations.
    Not to mention far more pressing problems with workers in full time employment unable to cover the very basics of living costs.
    You may be interested - depressed, maybe - to hear that Staffordshire CC are unable to recruit sufficient TAs to provide the statutory minimum hours needed for the students in the county.

They have had to issue an edict saying that no individual support will be offered, only for small groups.

Most unfortunately for them, they did not realise the father of one of the children affected was a leading equalities lawyer.

They are now in deep, deep shit and trying to work out how to buy him off before it gets to court.

But - whatever the outcome - the fact remains they still can't recruit enough TAs. Just like you can't.

And it's easy to see why. The pay's shit, the conditions are terrible and the management is shocking.
    Yeah. Across our 2 units (connected by a small ante room) we've had only 3 of the usual 5 staff for 2 weeks, because of illness. Itself at least 2 short. We've had virtually no supply TA support, and that we have has been almost worse than useless. The TA's simply pick and choose what they do.
    It's spiralled. I was bitten and punched on Thursday. The kid wrecked the classroom.
    On Friday my colleague was badly assaulted by a kid who was after another kid. They eventually fell over a table so I was able to grab assaultee and carry him out of the room. I am legally not allowed to do that. If he has a mark and makes a complaint I could be sacked and banned from teaching.
    He tried to get at him once, but then was just returned to his classroom and allowed to walk out and have another go.
    The little room between the Units we've been using as an isolation room has had a lock placed on it, because "it is essential for management meetings".
    Every evening we flag up "causes for concern".
    Every morning they happen as foretold.
    I'm too busy being woke and enjoying a gold
    plated pension and loads of holidays to notice.
    I don't do this for the money. I do this for the possibility that I may be helping kids who have a really difficult situation to have a slightly better life.
    But I'm actually thinking participating may be hindering. The only solution may just be not to play. Until we all refuse.
    Perhaps an argument to restore corporal punishment in the classroom
    Ah, “Beatings will continue until moral improves”.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,769

kle4 said:

Just had a real life experience with a unprompted racist taxi driver going on about the immigrants, like in the stories. Feels like a rite of passage.

Were they Albanian?
    Sadly just a bog standard home grown white English racist. They didn't use the words great replacement but I got the gist.
  • Options
    Professional footballers in Scotland are to be banned from heading the ball in training the day before and the day after a game.

Clubs are also being told to limit exercises that involve repetitive heading to one session per week.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-63767548
  • Options
    If in doubt, re-re-re-re-announce an army of loft laggers...

An extra £1bn will be spent to insulate the UK's least energy efficient homes, the business secretary has said. Grant Shapps said the new funding was part of a strategy of working towards an "an energy independent future" for the UK and would save those who benefitted around £310 a year.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63776183
  • Options

The thing I find offensive here is that the activity and language of the Wellcome Museum is the precise opposite of the empancipatory, liberal values of the Enlightenment.

Instead of engaging, it seeks to exclude.
    Instead of accessibility, it’s literally closing.
    Instead of education, the idea is to shame.

My issue with the general “Tory” campaign against woke is that it doesn’t position itself in liberal values either. It’s just knockabout stuff to eke out coverage in the Mail.

We need a proper liberal critique of “woke”.

Well said. The reactionary overreaction of some on the right, for example, do not disguise that there are some really nonsense or even worrying examples and trends out there.

Just saying 'it's a minority, sense will prevail' is not an answer. People will always see how far they can push things.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Just had a real life experience with a unprompted racist taxi driver going on about the immigrants, like in the stories. Feels like a rite of passage.

Were they Albanian?
    Did you do the correct thing - get his number and report him to the cab licensing people?
    No, I cowardly tried to ignore it and got out as soon as I could. Not my proudest moment.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Busybodies peering out of their net curtains in their expensive houses, on the look out for wokeness, violent foreigners, disgraceful TV ads with minorities in them, grubby eco-terrorists, and all other manner of badness. And then reporting them to the PB community so that we can all 'tut' in disapproval. Shame.

Yes I know, and it's an observation that, if I recall correctly, has been repeated quite frequently over a period of time by you (and others). I'm guess I'm just curious as to why this particular aspect of media analysis is so beguiling to you and others, when there's lots of other, and more interesting, stuff to analyse in media representations.
    Not to mention far more pressing problems with workers in full time employment unable to cover the very basics of living costs.
    You may be interested - depressed, maybe - to hear that Staffordshire CC are unable to recruit sufficient TAs to provide the statutory minimum hours needed for the students in the county.

They have had to issue an edict saying that no individual support will be offered, only for small groups.

Most unfortunately for them, they did not realise the father of one of the children affected was a leading equalities lawyer.

They are now in deep, deep shit and trying to work out how to buy him off before it gets to court.

But - whatever the outcome - the fact remains they still can't recruit enough TAs. Just like you can't.

And it's easy to see why. The pay's shit, the conditions are terrible and the management is shocking.
    Yeah. Across our 2 units (connected by a small ante room) we've had only 3 of the usual 5 staff for 2 weeks, because of illness. Itself at least 2 short. We've had virtually no supply TA support, and that we have has been almost worse than useless. The TA's simply pick and choose what they do.
    It's spiralled. I was bitten and punched on Thursday. The kid wrecked the classroom.
    On Friday my colleague was badly assaulted by a kid who was after another kid. They eventually fell over a table so I was able to grab assaultee and carry him out of the room. I am legally not allowed to do that. If he has a mark and makes a complaint I could be sacked and banned from teaching.
    He tried to get at him once, but then was just returned to his classroom and allowed to walk out and have another go.
    The little room between the Units we've been using as an isolation room has had a lock placed on it, because "it is essential for management meetings".
    Every evening we flag up "causes for concern".
    Every morning they happen as foretold.
    I'm too busy being woke and enjoying a gold
    plated pension and loads of holidays to notice.
    I don't do this for the money. I do this for the possibility that I may be helping kids who have a really difficult situation to have a slightly better life.
    But I'm actually thinking participating may be hindering. The only solution may just be not to play. Until we all refuse.
    Perhaps an argument to restore corporal punishment in the classroom
    You don't need corporal punishment to control kids. Being firmer on restraint techniques etc is not the same thing (since its unlikely those in need of physical restraint will respond to a punishment).

Hitting school children as a punishment (as opposed to protections for staff who may need to physically intervene) is the sort of thing only perverts and sadists should contemplate. It creeps me the f*ck out that teachers used to do it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    Isn't this wonderful? The first bit of news that's cheered me up for about 3 years at least.

"LIVE — China Covid protests spread to major cities"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-asia-63776816
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,412
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Were they Albanian?
    Did you do the correct thing - get his number and report him to the cab licensing people?
    No, I cowardly tried to ignore it and got out as soon as I could. Not my proudest moment.
    A direct confrontation only works in movies. Next time get the cab number and report. That is the system that is supposed to be in place.
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

If all children in a given cohort are affected how is it an equalities issue?
    Because it's not about comparing them to other children with SEND, it's about the support the law demands as a reasonable adjustment for it.

At the moment, it cannot be provided.
    If it can not be provided because of something outside the LEA’s power to resolve (lack of staff) then it’s - by definition - not a reasonable adjustment
    The law doesn’t work that way. Otherwise, nobody would ever provide any services on the grounds that ‘oops, it’s too hard, sorry guv.’
This discussion has been closed.