Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

All Trussed up and nowhere to go – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/11/26/jesus-could-have-transgender-claims-cambridge-dean/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

Out-Wellcoming the Wellcome, the Dean of Trinity thinks Christ was trans, on the basis of some second rate renaissance painters being a bit shy of depicting his willy.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

The museum sector has been quietly and completely captured by the Woke. It is a stealthy takeover

Here is the Twitter profile of one of the most senior people in the sector

"Director @museumsassoc chair @our_MOH, trustee @thackraymuseum @museum_forum
    Passionate about equality & anti-racism, Leeds lass & feminist"

https://twitter.com/Sharonheal/status/1596826865205129216?s=20&t=lNY-6717r1Hh9Nwmr_euYg

Her opinion of Wellcome closing its core exhibition?

"A thoughtful, ethical & brave approach to rethinking what a museum is from ⁦
    @ExploreWellcome
    ⁩ 👏👏👏"

They are APPLAUDING it

A friend of mine is a pretty senior guy in the widget manufacturing world. He's recently been for a couple of interviews, and apparently the main theme of the questioning is not how he'll get tip top widgets produced, but rather how he'll ensure woke stuff. Can you give examples as to how you've promoted equality? What would be your strategy to ensure minorities are represented in your team? It's no longer good enough to be entirely fair and unbiased, you now have to demonstrate that you've somehow fought a war against perhaps yours and others views to ensure this.
    That's different. It's basic legal and personnel stuff, not woke, tbf.

For all I know they thought his widgets were great but wanted to probe in other areas.

When the basic legal and personnel stuff becomes the most important issue though it has to be a concern.
  • Options

Even GPT-3, no GPT-2, perhaps even GPT-1 could have written a better passage of prose to explain how Marx was right and everybody else was a racist for that exhibit.....

Mind you, Marx was a white man who provided the theory used to justify a large number of genocides. Including quite a number of non-white people.

Shouldn’t he be cancelled?
    Well he was also antisemite, but that also gets glossed over, while other individuals who after digging through millions of words they wrote, we have found one or two iffy sentences have to get canned.
    Which brings us to another interesting effect of editing the past of annoying things (statues and exhibits)

Racist writers tend not to be consistently and 100% racist all the time. Case in point - Kipling. I have, somewhere, a complete works if I purchased in a second hand bookshop. His poetry and prose all mingled together.

In one story, he describes the inner thoughts and ideas of a poor Indian orphan girl with devastating humanity.

Practically over the page is an essay he wrote about going on patrol with the police in an Indian city. When they come across an English woman married to an Indian, his rant reads exactly like an article in Der Sturmer - all about race defilement.

The essay is no longer published. I have encountered people who don’t believe Kipling was racist because they have never read anything racist by him.
    People in the past were just as complex as we are today, and no less full of contradictions.

It is a crime to suppress our access to first-hand sources of their knowledge and understanding, and we are perfectly capable of judging right from wrong for ourselves.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,412

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

The Wellcome gets worse

“Taken by a friend at the Wellcome Collection. This is real.”

https://twitter.com/s8mb/status/1596880839711002630?s=46&t=OTxOvpdbAL3PiHIc5HsPrA

It’s quite open now. They want to tear down our culture and history. They admit it

Somebody obviously used the arty bollocks gibberish generator -

https://www.artybollocks.com/generator.html
    Now you’ve highlighted that, @Leon is going to find a new generator for his posts!
    The temptation to write an equivalent for various flavours of politics is very strong.

Middle Class Mastercard Marxism is obvious, since it consists vomiting a pool of indigested fragments of nonsense onto the guilty* page.

Fuckwit Performative Environmentalism as well.

Brexit could also be an interesting vein to mine….. hmmmmm

*the page is white. Pure white. Therefore is obviously guilty of something
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The Wellcome gets worse

https://twitter.com/s8mb/status/1596880839711002630?s=46&t=OTxOvpdbAL3PiHIc5HsPrA

It’s quite open now. They want to tear down our culture and history. They admit it

I have to admit that made me laugh.

It's funny that for all the hostility to privileged cis white men throughout history they seem to make an exception for Karl Marx. Or just Marx if you prefer.
    Naturally the man who wants to dismantle white infrastructure is a fellow of an Oxford college, and white:

I quite like the irony of an archaeologist saying "time's up"

Yep, "time's up, who needs all this old shit?"
    That placard reads like a parody, like something from Private Eye.

Every sentence is a keeper.

If Wellcome think that the very idea of museums is exploitatively “re-centering the white cis-male body” they shouldn’t stop at one collection but simply close the doors full stop.

Imagine being working class - both repulsed and intrigued by Bentham’s skin, naturally - and hoping to learn more about Bentham and how his skin got there.

You’d come way shrugging, wondering why you wasted your bus fare.
    Yes, it is an agenda to close every single museum (and university, and art gallery, etc). Or turn them into conversation spaces for Black poets to express their angst
    That's not what behind it. And they aren't going to close every university.

It's similar to the "Aryanising" of German institutions and culture in the 1930s. All officials and all institutions must keep to the message. In most cases the officials obey without question. If they're senior enough, they mustn't just keep to it: they must push it and make sure that others push it too. It doesn't matter whether they believe in it. Much of the time it contradicts itself anyway. Get them only to believe in power. That doesn't take long to achieve. They were already ¾ of the way there.

Sometimes it's preferable to choose absolute garbage to feed to people when there's a choice between absolute garbage and stuff that's only semi-garbage, for reasons that from a behavioural engineering POV - aka mind control - should be clear.

It's also similar to Stalinism in the USSR where there would be e.g. gatherings of officials where someone would spout some absolute sh*t about "workers' power" and everyone would clap and cheer, sometimes for 15 or 20 minutes, and they'd only stop when the leaders stopped, because if they stopped first they might get sent to a labour camp.

"They thought they were free", as Milton Mayer put it.
    "similar to Aryanising and Stalinism" what is, specifically?
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited November 2022

DJ41 said:

Vandals caught on camera in Oxford?

Or people who live and work somewhere dare to take action against a measure that the authorities opposed on them?

That's not vandalism.

Perhaps turning the whole street into a prison is the solution.

Meanwhile, on the very same day, the British media gleefully report popular protests against lockdown in faraway China, mostly framing them as protests against the "zero covid policy".

I suppose the real question for you is:

Would you rather live in Oxford or China?
    That question has no relevance to my life whatsoever.

I will follow this story because I'm interested in whether the people will be tracked down and prosecuted.

It's wrong to call this vandalism. Criminal damage, yes. Vandalism is done for kicks.
  • Options

I have a bad cold and had a weird fever dream featuring Leon last night. First he was berating me on Bloomberg, lots of random capitalisation. Then we met in person. I don't remember exactly what occurred but I think it featured a lot of drinking and shouting on his part. Very strange.

You had sex?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

The museum sector has been quietly and completely captured by the Woke. It is a stealthy takeover

https://twitter.com/Sharonheal/status/1596826865205129216?s=20&t=lNY-6717r1Hh9Nwmr_euYg

@ExploreWellcome
    ⁩ 👏👏👏"

They are APPLAUDING it

Grow up.
    You don't really have interesting or original thoughts, do you?
    There is nothing remotely interesting or original about a ranty old man who is losing the ability to change with the times.
    There is a reason the only friend you have is a dog
    Well, that's neither interesting nor original. You really are a hollowed-out shadow of your former self.
  • Options

Leon said:

The Wellcome gets worse

It's funny that for all the hostility to privileged cis white men throughout history they seem to make an exception for Karl Marx. Or just Marx if you prefer.
    Naturally the man who wants to dismantle white infrastructure is a fellow of an Oxford college, and white:

They always are.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848
    edited November 2022
    kamski said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

@ExploreWellcome
    ⁩ 👏👏👏"

They are APPLAUDING it

Grow up.
    There is nothing remotely interesting or original about a ranty old man who is losing the ability to change with the times.
    Actually Leon is quite right about this particular instance, even if I demur on many of his other Twitter-inspired diatribes.

Just read what Wellcome have said, it’s bonkers.
    I just read it, seems a bit provocative (no doubt intentionally in order to raise their profile), but what is specifically bonkers?
    It makes a series of questionable, sententious assertions about how problematic everything is (the objects, the founder, possibly the act of curation itself), before concluding that the only moral choice is to close down the very collection at the heart of the Museum.

Along with that gibberish on the Bentham placard, it’s unadulterated newspeak.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,218
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

@ExploreWellcome
    ⁩ 👏👏👏"

They are APPLAUDING it

Grow up.
    Well, that's neither interesting nor original. You really are a hollowed-out shadow of your former self.
    I hear the dog is going off you, a bit, TBH
  • Options

Leon said:

The Wellcome gets worse

They always are.
    “No women or people of colour were harmed, involved, consulted or interested in our performance”

It is this kind of thing which makes you understand Malcom X on the subject of white… helpful people.
  • Options

On topic Liz Truss has stated that she intends to remain an MP. If you are betting against you are betting on illness or on her losing her seat (hint: she will not do the latter)

The pricing suggests shes trying to get a job in every Tesco store that will let her in.
  • Options
    Any chance Truss might get invited back into the Shadow Cabinet by LOTO Badenoch (or whoever else would succeed Sunak if the Tories lose the next GE)? Hague, IDS, and Ed Miliband all managed to eventually get back onto the frontbench after 'failed' tenures as leaders of their respective parties. Though I suppose the magnitude of Truss' failure was greater than theirs's.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,541

Leon said:

The Wellcome gets worse

They always are.
    Not really. Melanie Keen is black.
  • Options

Any chance Truss might get invited back into the Shadow Cabinet by LOTO Badenoch (or whoever else would succeed Sunak if the Tories lose the next GE)? Hague, IDS, and Ed Miliband all managed to eventually get back onto the frontbench after 'failed' tenures as leaders of their respective parties. Though I suppose the magnitude of Truss' failure was greater than theirs's.

None.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Leon - only a few days till Sight and Sound's decennial film poll is revealed. Let's hope the critics have moved towards greater representation.
  • Options
    More on the idiocy of the Wellcome

"They describe Henry Wellcome as "a man with enormous wealth, power and privilege." His father was a poor farmer. He was born in a freaking log cabin. He built his company from scratch, studied other cultures his whole life, and left his company shares to charity. What an a@@hole"

https://twitter.com/PetraStPete/status/1596899658755981312?s=20&t=-51NA_RUJzfjXtdWWOkGFw

And this is true. Wiki:

"Wellcome was born in a frontier log cabin in what would later become Almond, Wisconsin, to Rev. S. C. Wellcome, an itinerant missionary who travelled and preached in a covered wagon, and Mary Curtis Wellcome"

In his will, Wellcome vested the entire share capital of his company in individual trustees, who were charged with spending the income to further human and animal health. The Wellcome Trust is now one of the world's largest private biomedical charities"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Wellcome

This is the terrible privileged billionaire white man who is so evil his medical collection must be dismantled, and hidden from the world, by the curators of the museum he still funds, via his legacy
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    edited November 2022
    Anyone get on a Costa Rica, Morocco, Canada treble today?
  • Options

The thing I find offensive here is that the activity and language of the Wellcome Museum is the precise opposite of the empancipatory, liberal values of the Enlightenment.

Instead of engaging, it seeks to exclude.
    Instead of accessibility, it’s literally closing.
    Instead of education, the idea is to shame.

My issue with the general “Tory” campaign against woke is that it doesn’t position itself in liberal values either. It’s just knockabout stuff to eke out coverage in the Mail.

We need a proper liberal critique of “woke”.

Quite so.

Unfortunately, few on the Left share your intelligence.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,541
    dixiedean said:

It's a strange old World Cup, isn't it? More surprising results than I can ever recall. Of the major teams only France, Spain and, to a lesser extent, Brazil, have looked really good.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2022
    Leon said:

More on the idiocy of the Wellcome

"They describe Henry Wellcome as "a man with enormous wealth, power and privilege." His father was a poor farmer. He was born in a freaking log cabin. He built his company from scratch, studied other cultures his whole life, and left his company shares to charity. What an a@@hole"

https://twitter.com/PetraStPete/status/1596899658755981312?s=20&t=-51NA_RUJzfjXtdWWOkGFw

And this is true. Wiki:

"Wellcome was born in a frontier log cabin in what would later become Almond, Wisconsin, to Rev. S. C. Wellcome, an itinerant missionary who travelled and preached in a covered wagon, and Mary Curtis Wellcome"

In his will, Wellcome vested the entire share capital of his company in individual trustees, who were charged with spending the income to further human and animal health. The Wellcome Trust is now one of the world's largest private biomedical charities"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Wellcome

This is the terrible privileged billionaire white man who is so evil his medical collection must be dismantled, and hidden from the world, by the curators of the museum he still funds, via his legacy

Its because like the eco-fascists, their primary driver isn't the environment (or trying best to educate about nuanced and balanced history)....the useful idiots provide them with cover.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

dixiedean said:

It's a strange old World Cup, isn't it? More surprising results than I can ever recall. Of the major teams only France, Spain and, to a lesser extent, Brazil, have looked really good.
    Neymar out for at least the next two games for Brazil, should be interesting to see what impact having the great sulk not playing.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,452
    edited November 2022
    Omnium said:

None.
    Seconded.

Hague, IDS and MiliEd failed by being leaders of the opposition who didn't get enough votes.

Truss's failure was her entire vision blowing up spectacularly before it even happened.

She's not coming back from that.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,139
    dixiedean said:

No but I’m on Wales to win by 4 or more goals. Should make me feel a bit better.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Anyone plotted results against average maximum wetbulb temperatures in the football season of competitor countries?
  • Options
    We could also see Germany out by 9pm this evening.....
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 780

The thing I find offensive here is that the activity and language of the Wellcome Museum is the precise opposite of the empancipatory, liberal values of the Enlightenment.

My issue with the general “Tory” campaign against woke is that it doesn’t position itself in liberal values either. It’s just knockabout stuff to eke out coverage in the Mail.

The liberal critique of it is easy: that opposing ideas should be engaged with and not cancelled. That ideas should be judged on their merit and not the person who spoke them.

I also agree that the Tory critique is often misplaced and based on them not liking an opposing view. For example, I'd argue choosing to remove a statue of a slave owner from a public place is a reasonable, non-woke position to take. Such artifacts are divisive, so depending on the wider achievements of said person, may be better suited to a museum.

But where things should definitely not be cancelled is in a museum. That is a place where people go by choice and the curation can explain where pieces are controversial.
  • Options

Omnium said:

None.
    Seconded.

Hague, IDS and MiliEd failed by being leaders of the opposition who didn't get enough votes.

Truss's failure was her entire vision blowing up spectacularly before it even happened.

She's not coming back from that.
    Boris really let the side down for the Tory party. Truss? She's wrecked the party's fortunes for a generation.
  • Options

I am concerned that history, which is what museums should be presenting and explaining, is being destroyed by the “Woke”.

I am much more concerned that misogynistic men are still abusing innocent and vulnerable women.

I know which one I want to see resolved first.

Why not both?

Or do we, say, have to chose between tackling racism and sexism?
  • Options
    Ratters said:

The liberal critique of it is easy: that opposing ideas should be engaged with and not cancelled. That ideas should be judged on their merit and not the person who spoke them.

I also agree that the Tory critique is often misplaced and based on them not liking an opposing view. For example, I'd argue choosing to remove a statue of a slave owner from a public place is a reasonable, non-woke position to take. Such artifacts are divisive, so depending on the wider achievements of said person, may be better suited to a museum.

But where things should definitely not be cancelled is in a museum. That is a place where people go by choice and the curation can explain where pieces are controversial.
    Well, the Wellcome morons are getting tremendous pushback on Twitter and near universal condemnation, so maybe, in this rare instance, the Wokeness will be defeated

But I'm not betting on it
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Indeed. This is the core of the movement in question - it rejects conversation, argument, debate.

Instead

1) You are for us or against us
    2) There is no debate. All must speak only The Writ
    3) Anyone advocating debate is a Heretic - see (1)

The resemblance to religious fundamentalism* is interesting. But not surprising.

*Or, indeed, to Trumpism.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

No we can't. They can lose and still have a pretty good chance of going through.
    Would only take Spain beating Japan and then they'd only have to beat Costa Rica and they are probably through on goal difference with three points.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    dixiedean said:

No we can't. They can lose and still have a pretty good chance of going through.
    Would only take Spain beating Japan and then they'd only have to beat Costa Rica and they are probably through on goal difference with three points.
    Good point....although I wonder how hard Spain would go against Japan if that was the situation.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

dixiedean said:

11 teams won their opening game (there were five draws).

Of these, at most four will win their second game (France have, Spain v Germany and Portugal v Uruguay to come - and Brazil and Switzerland play each other).
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,671
    edited November 2022

I don't think that's possible.

Even if Germany lose to Spain, they could still secure 3 points and a better goal difference than Japan or Costa Rica by beating the latter by sufficient goals seeing Spain beat Japan.

Edit: I see Dixie beat me to it.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    dixiedean said:

Nope. Could be a great day for Canada. They won their first ever Davis Cup title just before their World Cup match kicked off.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Leon said:

Ratters said:

Well, the Wellcome morons are getting tremendous pushback on Twitter and near universal condemnation, so maybe, in this rare instance, the Wokeness will be defeated

Well the BBC are unconcerned....

Controversial objects include a 1916 painting titled "A Medical Missionary Attending to a Sick African" which depicts an African person kneeling in front of a white missionary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63772864

What is interesting here is that this is now totally verboten. Are we to say that never happened? Of course you could easily put context of we need to be careful here about the motivates of such a painting etc etc etc.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    dixiedean said:

Japan were foolish today. A draw was a good result for them. Okay, it was counting on a Spain win tonight, but I think they’d have been better off hoping for that. As it is, they almost certainly have to beat Spain.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Cos you'd be gutted right now...
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

dixiedean said:

Nope. Could be a great day for Canada. They won their first ever Davis Cup title just before their World Cup match kicked off.
    well i put the mockers on that one.
  • Options

Indeed. This is the core of the movement in question - it rejects conversation, argument, debate.

Instead

1) You are for us or against us
    2) There is no debate. All must speak only The Writ
    3) Anyone advocating debate is a Heretic - see (1)

The resemblance to religious fundamentalism* is interesting. But not surprising.

*Or, indeed, to Trumpism.
    Part of the trouble is that the worst examples of anti-woke are just as illiberal in another way.

Centrist Dads for the negotiated compromise.

(The Wellcome stuff sounds rum, to say the least, and if I were a trustee, I'd be calling my curators to a meeting without many biscuits for 8.30 sharp Monday morning. Agenda "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off.")
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,201
    dixiedean said:

Yes, the classic one team beats everyone else and the others win one game each scenario.
  • Options

Leon said:

Ratters said:

Controversial objects include a 1916 painting titled "A Medical Missionary Attending to a Sick African" which depicts an African person kneeling in front of a white missionary.

What is interesting here is that this is now totally verboten. Are we to say that never happened? Of course you could easily put context of we need to be careful here about the motivates of such a painting etc etc etc.
    NO IT DOESN'T.

Shouting at them, not you. They lie about it, everybody is too squeamish to reproduce it, and away we go.

https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/a-medical-missionary-attending-to-a-sick-african-125813

Bloody hilarious, but it's the white man who is kneeling in front of someone; the black woman is supporting the sick child.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Shouting at them, not you. They lie about it, everybody is too squeamish to reproduce it, and away we go.

https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/a-medical-missionary-attending-to-a-sick-african-125813

Bloody hilarious, but it's the white man who is kneeling in front of someone; the black woman is supporting the sick child.
    He's taking the knee.....did he go on to play for England at football ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.
    It’s quite crap art, and surely inessential, but it’s not what it’s been represented as by Wellcome (and parroted by the BBC).

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Canada will probably beat Morocco and Belgium will stuff Croatia knowing this world cup.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,157
    Making my stand against woke right now with a cup of tea. No sugar - I'm not completely gammon.
  • Options

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.
    It’s quite crap art, and surely inessential, but it’s not what it’s been represented as by Wellcome.

The interesting thing about medical history is how useless counter productive and plain wrong everything thing is, from hippocrates up to Florey (not Fleming) discovering penicillin. Gotta hope the child has malaria and that is quinine in the glass.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Leon said:

Ratters said:

Yes, agreed. Much better to display and explain. This is a silly over-reaction by the Wellcome Trust.

Interesting that previous protests have had success correcting simlar misplaced censorship (e.g. Waterhouse's Hylas and the Nymphs is not back on display in Manchester, I believe) so it is right to protest against such nonsense.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    The number of people we now get having their say at half time in tv coverage of football matches can often be 6....and yet there is no analysis beyond absolute surface level trash with each "pundit" getting a few seconds to try and blurt out something.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,097

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.
    It’s quite crap art, and surely inessential, but it’s not what it’s been represented as by Wellcome (and parroted by the BBC).

I generally find the complaints about woke to be overblown, but the one place they are justified is against the BBC. The national broadcaster has a mission to inform the public, but quite frequently they deliberately censor information from the reader. For example, if someone has said something deemed offensive by the woke activist groups, they will simply report controversy without mentioning what was actually said. How is the reader possibly supposed to judge whether the offense is justified or not? I suppose the BBC's answer would be that the reader can't be trusted and they should just be delivered the interpretation of the incident, not the actual facts.
  • Options

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

I've changed my mind now. It's such a crap painting, no museum visitors ever deserve to have to it inflicted on them.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    WillG said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

I generally find the complaints about woke to be overblown, but the one place they are justified is against the BBC. The national broadcaster has a mission to inform the public, but quite frequently they deliberately censor information from the reader. For example, if someone has said something deemed offensive by the woke activist groups, they will simply report controversy without mentioning what was actually said. How is the reader possibly supposed to judge whether the offense is justified or not? I suppose the BBC's answer would be that the reader can't be trusted and they should just be delivered the interpretation of the incident, not the actual facts.
    The more vague the report the more my BS detector goes off that perhaps it isn't quite as offensive as one might be being led to believe.

Also, with the website, they could easily have the direct quote or picture as set to hidden by default, only revealed by clicking a button to reveal (and if logged in as a child account not able to do that).
  • Options
    Belgium were really poor today gor the quality of their players.
    I think Martinez has been carried by how good they have been individually previously and now they're a bit older his lack of managing ability is showing.
  • Options

The number of people we now get having their say at half time in tv coverage of football matches can often be 6....and yet there is no analysis beyond absolute surface level trash with each "pundit" getting a few seconds to try and blurt out something.

Can we pull Alan Hansen out of retirement?
  • Options

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

I've changed my mind now. It's such a crap painting, no museum visitors ever deserve to have to it inflicted on them.
    The art I saw in there yesterday was mostly rubbish. There was a copy of a Bosch, but most of the rest were by non-entities.
  • Options

WillG said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

The more vague the report the more my BS detector goes off that perhaps it isn't quite as offensive as one might be being led to believe.

Also, with the website, they could easily have the direct quote or picture as set to hidden by default, only revealed by clicking to reveal.
    And of course the end result is that a big chunk of the public start mentally classifying the BBC as not reliable, and seek out other, less reliable media sources.
  • Options
    A draw probably suits both Germany and Spain here ?
    Spain have the better team though
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Leon said:

Ratters said:

Yes, agreed. Much better to display and explain. This is a silly over-reaction by the Wellcome Trust.

Interesting that previous protests have had success correcting simlar misplaced censorship (e.g. Waterhouse's Hylas and the Nymphs is not back on display in Manchester, I believe) so it is right to protest against such nonsense.
    Doh! '...now back on display', not '...not back on display'. Fecking autocorrect poster incompetence, eh?
  • Options

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

It’s crap.
    A piece of propaganda unto itself.

But wouldn’t it be interesting to know just how many missionaries were active in Africa? What they thought they were achieving? The quality (or otherwise) of the medical treatment they provided? Also, the concomitant rush for exotic plants and the extent to which it furthered medical knowledge?

One would think you’d be able to get a basic understanding of that at the Wellcome.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,157
    tlg86 said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

The art I saw in there yesterday was mostly rubbish. There was a copy of a Bosch, but most of the rest were by non-entities.
    That's a bit ad hom. Shouldn't the art stands on its own without reference to its creator?

• Options

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

It tells us something about a Victorian medical missionary psyche, but that's all. And how much that needs saying is another matter. After all, any museum (like statues in a town) boils down to having too much stuff for the available space.

Even so, 8.30 tomorrow. No biscuits for you curators. I'm going to eat biscuits, because I'm having to be dragged in for an early meeting. I'm damn well not doing that without biscuits.
  • Options

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

It tells us something about a Victorian medical missionary psyche, but that's all. And how much that needs saying is another matter. After all, any museum (like statues in a town) boils down to having too much stuff for the available space.

Even so, 8.30 tomorrow. No biscuits for you curators. I'm going to eat biscuits, because I'm having to be dragged in for an early meeting. I'm damn well not doing that without biscuits.
    I'll be pleasantly surprised if this is reversed. There might be some emollient language, but they won't back down on the essential decision, nor its rationale. This is what they believe, and boy, do they believe it

From online research, it looks like the Wellcome Collection has been entirely captured by Wokerati. They are all in this. There is not one sane voice

And this is what Wokeness does, as well, of course. You impose the regime, and then weed out anyone who has the slightest doubt. You are then left with loyal a cadre. The similarities to other extreme political movements are uncanny
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

It looks a bit like the imagery I've seen on some evangelical Christian leaflets that get handed out by city-centre crazies. Just needs a couple of diplodocus wandering about in the background to really complete it.
  • Options

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

Tbh I am always shocked by the amount of art that is locked away from sight in the vaults of galleries. If they are not going to display it, they should flog some of it off to fund enough display space to show the rest.
  • Options
    Leon said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if this is reversed. There might be some emollient language, but they won't back down on the essential decision, nor its rationale. This is what they believe, and boy, do they believe it

From online research, it looks like the Wellcome Collection has been entirely captured by Wokerati. They are all in this. There is not one sane voice

And this is what Wokeness does, as well, of course. You impose the regime, and then weed out anyone who has the slightest doubt. You are then left with loyal a cadre. The similarities to other extreme political movements are uncanny
    The fact that this has wound you up so much almost justifies it imo.

Meanwhile, in the real world, people are trying to work out how they can afford their heating this winter.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,125
    WillG said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

The root of most of these problems is really nothing to do with "wokeness" or any other political viewpoint.

The question is whether the BBC, or museums, or whoever, should be trying to push any political viewpoint at all. Of course it can be argued that it's impossible to report the news or exhibit historical objects and information without (even by implication) having some viewpoint or other. There's obviously some truth to that. But there's a big difference between recognising that problem and trying to remain as neutral and factual as possible on the one hand, and being on a mission to support a particular political narrative on the other..
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Pulpstar said:

I think Martinez has been carried by how good they have been individually previously and now they're a bit older his lack of managing ability is showing.

Same as Southgate. Mediocre manager blessed with incredible players.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

It looks a bit like the imagery I've seen on some evangelical Christian leaflets that get handed out by city-centre crazies. Just needs a couple of diplodocus wandering about in the background to really complete it.
    I'd say the only really incorrect thing about it is the colour of Jesus's hair.
  • Options

Leon said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

Meanwhile, in the real world, people are trying to work out how they can afford their heating this winter.
    It is, again, possible to do both. To worry about yer heating bills AND express concern at the Wokeification of the arts, media, academe, charities, and so on

To my mind Wokeness is a potential culture-killer, a lethal threat to our civilisation, esp via its attack on education

You will dismiss this as hysteria, of course. Meh. Knock yourself out
  • Options
    The Germans are going to finish second in their group with three points and then play Morocco in the last 16. They always come up smelling of roses.
  • Options

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

It’s crap.

But wouldn’t it be interesting to know just how many missionaries were active in Africa? What they thought they were achieving? The quality (or otherwise) of the medical treatment they provided? Also, the concomitant rush for exotic plants and the extent to which it furthered medical knowledge?

One would think you’d be able to get a basic understanding of that at the Wellcome.
    It was quite common at the time to think that Europeans were on a Christian civilising mission to Africa, and that this was a good thing.

If museums aren't there to help us understand the past, and what people thought and why, then there is little point in them.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Not sure that’s entirely fair on Southgate. Semi final and then final of last two tournaments. Qualification without struggling, or indeed failure. Southgate is a cautious manager focussed on tournament football. You win tournaments by not conceding goals. England were two decent penalty kicks from winning the Euros. Personally I think both the semi final loss and the final were games that a braver manager could have won by gambling on a more attacking approach when they had the advantage, but we might also have conceded.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

And Eddie Jones

England rugby were truly dire yesterday. One of their worst ever performances. And they have such talent, in theory
  • Options
    Chris said:

ohnotnow said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

better?

• Options

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

Looks like the missionary chap is taking the knee.
    My favourite take on missionaries in Africa is this one: when they came, we had the land and they had God. Then suddenly they had the land and we had God. I think that more or less summarises their role.
    This painting should take pride of place in a museum of hilarious Victorian kitsch. If such a thing doesn't exist perhaps Leon could start one.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Not sure that’s entirely fair on Southgate. Semi final and then final of last two tournaments. Qualification without struggling, or indeed failure. Southgate is a cautious manager focussed on tournament football. You win tournaments by not conceding goals. England were two decent penalty kicks from winning the Euros. Personally I think both the semi final loss and the final were games that a braver manager could have won by gambling on a more attacking approach when they had the advantage, but we might also have conceded.
    England's midfield and front three are world class plus we have top grade wing backs and Southgate deploys the talent poorly.
  • Options

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

My favourite take on missionaries in Africa is this one: when they came, we had the land and they had God. Then suddenly they had the land and we had God. I think that more or less summarises their role.
    This painting should take pride of place in a museum of hilarious Victorian kitsch. If such a thing doesn't exist perhaps Leon could start one.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

And Eddie Jones

England rugby were truly dire yesterday. One of their worst ever performances. And they have such talent, in theory
    They look so utterly lost. No idea what to do, or who is in control. It’s going to be a tough six nations.
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

The sentiment is Victorian anyway. I'm surprised anyone could be bothered to churn out this kind of garbage during ww1.
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

Chris said:

ohnotnow said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

better?

?

Did you deliberately leave untouched the one thing I said was incorrect?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

England's midfield and front three are world class plus we have top grade wing backs and Southgate deploys the talent poorly.
    We have a surfeit of talented attacking players, but just as with Gerard and Lampard, only 11 can play at a time. I have no doubt we have one of the deepest squads in the World Cup, but it’s only eleven aside. On Friday they were nearly undone by fitness, drilling and arguably a lack of respect for their opponents. Southgate said he knew what was coming, but it didn’t look like he had a plan to get round the problem. Again though, avoid losing by 4 goals to Wales and the first task is secured. Never forget the ignominy of Brazil 2014.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,649

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

It’s crap.

It was quite common at the time to think that Europeans were on a Christian civilising mission to Africa, and that this was a good thing.

If museums aren't there to help us understand the past, and what people thought and why, then there is little point in them.
    Still quite a common belief in Africa. Most Africans are far more religious than Europeans and greatly appreciate the benefits of Christian or Islamic missionaries, in both spiritual terms and also in practical things like education and missionary schools.

Sure, there is still a whiff of colonialism about, but the difference between a missionary and an aid worker is not very marked, apart from missionaries being there for the long term, and generally much more modest stipends.
  • Options
    Chris said:

pillsbury said:

Chris said:

ohnotnow said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

better?

?

yup.
  • Options
    This Wellcome Collection thing is interesting. I can understand why it’s got the wokehunters riled.

I’m a bit of a history nerd. I read history for my undergraduate degree. For me, what the Wellcome Trust are doing isn’t controversial. They’re just reflecting the evolution of the study of history as a discipline. It’s history from below, giving a voice to those who have been, in traditional historiography, voiceless.

The right see it as an attack on our history. I think it makes our, British, history richer. I don’t think these historians want to erase our history, to make us feel guilty about a past we had no control over. Like Germans born after the war who have no blame for Nazism or the Holocaust, we should feel no personal guilt for Empire.

But perhaps we would be healthier as a country if we had a better understanding, more of a reckoning with our history, than we generally do.

What the Wellcome Collection are doing, for me, is trying to recognise and contextualise, understand and explain, the creation of the Collection as an artefact in its own right. To explain that its creation, an extremely enlightened act by an enlightened man in the mores of the day, can now be seen, from a modern perspective, to be excluding the voices and experiences of many of the people whose artefacts Wellcome was so enlightened in recognising and curating. His work should be celebrated, recognised and respected, but also contextualised from a modern perspective.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,943

Leon said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

Those who accept the absurdities of wokery because it rubs those they disagree with up the wrong way would do well to remember that the counter revolution is generally fiercer than the revolution itself.

Liberalism, the centre, needs to hold against this rubbish. Or we'll all be worse off.

• Options

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

It's not at all fair on Southgate and it really fucking winds me up when England fans don't appreciate how effective a manager he has been.

It also makes me understand why the rest of the world see England fans as arrogant and entitled
  • Options
    Hello everyone, not had much time to be on here this week. Hope everyone is keeping well.

In the news its good to see protests mounting in China against Zero Covid, with people now openly calling for Xi to go.

Unfortunately I doubt that Xi can or will be ousted but hopefully we are now reaching a point where Covid restrictions are increasingly unthinkable even in authoritarian dictatorships.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,979

I have a bad cold and had a weird fever dream featuring Leon last night. First he was berating me on Bloomberg, lots of random capitalisation. Then we met in person. I don't remember exactly what occurred but I think it featured a lot of drinking and shouting on his part. Very strange.

You getting a crush on him
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,649
    Mortimer said:

Leon said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

Those who accept the absurdities of wokery because it rubs those they disagree with up the wrong way would do well to remember that the counter revolution is generally fiercer than the revolution itself.

Liberalism, the centre, needs to hold against this rubbish. Or we'll all be worse off.

I noted the other night on the "issues of concern to voters" thread that no issue of Woke or gender politics, nor indeed much of anything to do with "culture war" featured in voters concerns.
  • Options

This Wellcome Collection thing is interesting. I can understand why it’s got the wokehunters riled.

I’m a bit of a history nerd. I read history for my undergraduate degree. For me, what the Wellcome Trust are doing isn’t controversial. They’re just reflecting the evolution of the study of history as a discipline. It’s history from below, giving a voice to those who have been, in traditional historiography, voiceless.

The right see it as an attack on our history. I think it makes our, British, history richer. I don’t think these historians want to erase our history, to make us feel guilty about a past we had no control over. Like Germans born after the war who have no blame for Nazism or the Holocaust, we should feel no personal guilt for Empire.

But perhaps we would be healthier as a country if we had a better understanding, more of a reckoning with our history, than we generally do.

What the Wellcome Collection are doing, for me, is trying to recognise and contextualise, understand and explain, the creation of the Collection as an artefact in its own right. To explain that its creation, an extremely enlightened act by an enlightened man in the mores of the day, can now be seen, from a modern perspective, to be excluding the voices and experiences of many of the people whose artefacts Wellcome was so enlightened in recognising and curating. His work should be celebrated, recognised and respected, but also contextualised from a modern perspective.

All of which can be achieved without the vain introspection that post-modernist theory makes out to be academic and intellectual.
  • Options

pillsbury said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

The sentiment is Victorian anyway. I'm surprised anyone could be bothered to churn out this kind of garbage during ww1.
    You think we should have been concentrating on the miiltary effort rather than thinking about tending to sick Africans? That doesn't seem quite right.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,979
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

@ExploreWellcome
    ⁩ 👏👏👏"

They are APPLAUDING it

Grow up.
    What a riposte
  • Options

But they ain't doing none of that. They aren't putting it in a Wokey context and they've given up attaching feeble Woke poems next to problematic items.

Instead, over a single weekend, they've decided that the entire collection is too problematic to even exhibit, as it was gathered by one rich patriarchal racist blah blah (while offering zero evidence for this), so the entire core of the Wellcome Collection has been shut. For good, Without debate. In a weekend. Announced on Friday closed on Sunday. And without any clear plan of what comes next, if indeed they are thinking of doing anything next. Given what they believe it seems difficult for them to show any of this stuff ever again

It is book burning, Knowledge that must be burned
  • Options

I don’t think these historians want to erase our history, to make us feel guilty about a past we had no control over.

Oh, come on.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Leon said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

I noted the other night on the "issues of concern to voters" thread that no issue of Woke or gender politics, nor indeed much of anything to do with "culture war" featured in voters concerns.
    I'm not in the least surprised. Sometimes the most important issues of the day are not those which are widely debated. Policy isn't about pleasing people all of the time.
  • Options
    Chris said:

pillsbury said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

You think we should have been concentrating on the miiltary effort rather than thinking about tending to sick Africans? That doesn't seem quite right.
    I'm not sure this painting healed anyone. It's just propaganda.
  • Options
    pillsbury said:

Chris said:

pillsbury said:

Chris said:

ohnotnow said:

pillsbury said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

NO IT DOESN'T.

Here it is.

better?

?

yup.
    I'm afraid I missed the point you were trying to make by doing that, if there was one.
This discussion has been closed.