Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The logic behind this is hard to justify explain – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    Leon said:

Is poor @HYUFD alone in a corner of a room, quietly sobbing?

No I was working, Omnisis somewhat dubious given IpsosMori, a more established pollster, has the Conservatives on 29% and Techne, taken yesterday like Omnisis has the Conservatives on 28%

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1593589451434983425?s=20&t=teT5RAzsIweIL-GenTNFgQ

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1593580730877202435?s=20&t=teT5RAzsIweIL-GenTNFgQ
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

felix said:

MikeL said:

The interesting thing is what will Labour do?

Despite all the screaming and whining these tax increases are not really that dramatic.

The Daily Mail is proclaiming that a Single Person earning £50,000 per year will pay an extra £3,610 over the next 5 years - ie £722 per year.

And that a Family of Four earning £130,000 per year will pay an extra £14,480 over the next 5 years - ie £2,896 per year.

Whilst obviously not welcome, these are not changes that have a significant impact on people's lives.

Yet Labour is going to want to increase spending on a very significant scale. About 10% on public sector pay across the board on top of what this Govt awards to "make up" for real terms cuts over the last few years. A far more generous benefits system - literally on Day 1 the two child limit goes, the bedroom tax goes, sanctions go. A bung to all the WASPI women. £28bn on green energy. The list goes on and on.

And they aren't going to be able to borrow it - and won't even dare try having seen what happened to Truss.

So the result is going to have to be serious tax rises - not the Mickey Mouse stuff we've seen this week but tax rises that actually really impact people's lives.

The level of hyperbole in the media and on here from the left is generally in inverse proportion to the reality of the cuts/tax rises, etc etc. "Turn the heateing theromostat down 2 degrees and you are literally condemning pensioners/nurses/the poor to slow and lingering deaths you heartless baby eating scum" is about the long and short of it.
    It's not the tax rises that are hurting the Tories, it is the terrifying and depressing predictions of long recession, plunging living standards, cuts in services, more unemployment, and no end to this gloom for half a decade or more

It is saying "we've been in power for twelve years and your life is about to get dramatically worse and much poorer, please vote for us again"

Who the F will buy that? I am surprised they are still as high as 21% TBH
    Yes, it's not really much of a pitch.

Things are going to be very tough for any net energy importer and net food importer, for the time being, but the government seems determined to make them worse.
    What the Tories need is a new leadership election. Sunak and Hunt have clearly failed and the Tories are heading for a wipeout. Only a new leader can save them. But they need to think outside the box, this time

The late Jimmy Savile MBE comes to mind. OK he's dead. And a disgraced pedo. But he might surprise on the upside
    Nobody is going to win the next general election for the Tories, Sunak will just save a few seats.

Then the economy is Labour's problem
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    edited November 2022

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

NEW POLL: Labour lead up 3 to 22 points after Autumn Statement

Lab 50% (+1)
    Con 28% (-2) 
    LibDem 8% (nc)
    Green 4% (nc)
    SNP 4% (nc)

1,633 questioned on afternoon of 17 Nov. Changes with 9-10 Nov.

Data - http://www.technetracker.co.uk https://twitter.com/techneUK/status/1593571945274134528/photo/1

This could really happen now. A near wipe-out event for the Tories. Down to 100 MPs or fewer
    Rishi to go please. Take Hunt with you. Please don't stay in touch.
    Off-topiced by some sensitive dishy Rishi admirers, or fat-fingered Nutsak haters?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

I predicted the catastro-budget could send the Tories back into the low 20s, and here it is

There is no point in the Tories any more. They are serving up Labour policies and economics. They raise taxes and cut services. They cannot get a grip on immigration, they can't stop people simply sailing across the Channel. They've done nothing about Wokeness. What does being a Tory even mean, any more?

This is the end of them for a long long time, perhaps forever

The current government seems quite happy to let down everyone who voted for it.
    I genuinely think this could be the end of the Conservative Party. Imagine being a Tory MP looking at this poll

It implies just 33 of you will survive the next election. It is beyond disastrous. And, worse, there is nothing anyone can do to improve things. This is in the mail now. It will be delivered
    I'm quite unconvinced of the need to be cutting spending and raising taxes on the proposed scale. Neither our budget deficit or debt to GDP ratio are anything unusual in the present time.
    That’s heresy though.
    For some reason, the (right) establishment are now pretty much lined up to disagree with you.

Truss and Sunak just seem to be offering different kinds of batshittery.
    At least one of them had an optimistic and positive outlook, looking to a brighter future rather than managing the decline. Sadly, the Tory MPs disagreed with me.
    Quite. I'll take ham-fisted attempts to kick-start the economy over serious and sober attempts to screw the economy and everyone who works in it.
  • Options
    I'm so angry at the further increase in the ENICs

This is the most deceitful, pernicious and anti-growth tax ever known to man

An actual tax on jobs

It's so fucking stupid
This discussion has been closed.