Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The betting as at 0417 GMT – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992
    nico679 said:

Will Trump and the cult now want the counting to stop !

Although Kelly has a good lead in Arizona it’s not a done deal yet because the remaining votes are likely to skew strongly for the GOP and Nevada looks like it will end up very close once more votes are counted .

It's still far from over, albeit the Democrats will be happier at this point.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

What a fantastic win for Fetterman. A truly inspirational story .

Let's be honest, he is a shit candidate.

Hw won because Oz is even worse But there is no way someone like Fetternan should be a national politician.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,262
    Alistair said:

Heathener said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Roger said:

Ah, go to bed; lose money.

That old chestnut.

That was one of Mohammed Ali's 'What's your ambition?"

"I want to make money when I'm asleep"
    Yes, that's the hubris I fell to.
    Went to bed made money. Ive done the opposite of 2020 where i stayed up and fucked up my beautiful position.
    Good work.

What about your senate bets?
    I made a big Fetterman bet a while ago based on how shit a candidate OZ was.

I made a NOC bet on the Senate months ago as a trading bet but made it so long ago i forgot about it and failed to trade out, ive now run that down to a free bet on NOC levels.

I have a saver on GOP seats 51-54
    With that PA flip this may not end up 50:50 ...

It's possible the Dems could take the Senate outright which would be amazing in context.

But let's see.
    Not by Betfair rules.
    Yes good clarifications by you and CR.

I was commenting politically on this occasion not punting.

IF, and it remains a big if, it does go 51:49 Dem then that will be a stunning result in context. Even to hold 50:50 will be significant.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Roger said:

That old chestnut.

Went to bed made money. Ive done the opposite of 2020 where i stayed up and fucked up my beautiful position.
    Good work.

I made a NOC bet on the Senate months ago as a trading bet but made it so long ago i forgot about it and failed to trade out, ive now run that down to a free bet on NOC levels.

Well done. I'd have been the same if I'd not flipped it at 10pm last night! Let that be a lesson on 'early results'.

After some emergency trading this morning I should break even, my house winnings overcome a small loss on the senate, but it's my Nevada bet that's killing my position.
    Literally just before I turned off the light I flipped my Nevada bet from GOP to (tiny) Dem stake.

I read a ralston tweet which suggested either turnout was through the floor or there was a lot of on the day drop offs that hadn't been accounted for.
    Nevada is showing 55%-44% to the Dem, with half the vote in - but that half is almost all Clark County (Las Vegas), the most Dem part of the State. It’s going to close substantially as the rest of the State declares.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    edited November 2022
    Not as historic as this day in 1989, but if it sees the end of Trump then today is an important day. Johnson, Truss and Trump all seen off in just a few months! Crazy politics hits the wall.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Nigelb said:

Roger said:

I used Herschel Walker as a model when he was an American footballer. I remember him well. I believe he's subsequently gone off the rails and from being a football prodigy he's now a Trump prodigy. He's got to be the bellwether for tonight's election. I think I'll have to hope he loses.

Was a great footballer, but he never seems to have been particularly pleasant, and has only got worse.
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/11/herschel-walker-just-cant-stop-midterms-2022-georgia.html
    You're a fan of American football? I was using two footballers Herschel Walker was one but the other was more famous and they were all making a huge fuss of him. He was the quarter back (I think) for the same team known as the Dogs (probably Georgia). He was whie and I can't remember his name or find it. Any ideas?
  • Options

nico679 said:

Hw won because Oz is even worse But there is no way someone like Fetternan should be a national politician.
    He won because Mastriano decided to make the election about whether the Jews really ran America. A spectacular own goal from the Republicans.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,819
    The struggles in NY by Hochul would have effected the downballot races and could at the end of the day have had a big impact on the house .

• Options
    edited November 2022
    The odds on the Arizona Governor race have evened up dramatically - has PB hot tip Lake been hit by the Curse of Leondamus?
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,262

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Holy shit. This would be massive if it ended like this:

Holy fuckknuckles, Ms Boebert's deficit is still around 8,000 votes.

If the Dems gain CO-3, it would mean that two of the three Republican nutjobs have failed to be reelected (Marjorie Taylor Greene, Madison Cawthorne and Lauren Boebert).
    My dream would be for the Democrat crazies (aka the Squad) and the Republican crazies to all be defeated.

It is telling that both groups support Putin in his invasion of Ukraine.
    I had a thought last night about a very unlikely scenario:

Say the Republicans win, and characteristically ignore the lessons of history and stop US support for Ukraine.

That means Ukraine is screwed (unless we think Europe and others can still support Ukraine enough to prevent Russia taking it over.

But Russia doing that will provoke massive instability in Europe. It will threaten the Baltic and other states, and further hurt their economies.

And who rather likes Europe's economies? China. And which country has been going somewhat colder against Russia over recent weeks? China.

So might China decide it is worth the cost and decide to fill the gap the US has left? Geopolitically it might be a positive thing for them to do, especially amongst some of their biggest customers.

I'm not saying this would happen; it is very unlikely. But it is possible.
    It wouldn’t have the capability if it wanted to, and it wouldn’t want to because in that world it would feel its interests were best served by seeing a “Greater Russia” emerge. More likely to be a client state.
    I think that's totally wrong. China wants a weak Russia, and the 'Greater Russia' would be stronger. And Europe - which is fairly strongly in favour of maintaining Ukraine's sovereignty, is also a major customer for China. Russia is not.

Helping Ukraine in a defensive capacity also earns China brownie points for when they want to do (ahem) dodgier things.
    I know you really care about Ukraine, and so should all good people, but it really isn't the subject uppermost for many, even most, politicians and countries. Not America. Not China.

You may lament it, and for you it may be the thing you think about more than anything, but there are other competing global concerns.

Don't shoot me down. I'm just saying.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Who would have thought that polling averages influenced by a flood of highly partisan polls including the completely ficticious Trafalgar garbage would be so wrong.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,819
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Roger said:

That old chestnut.

Good work.

Well done. I'd have been the same if I'd not flipped it at 10pm last night! Let that be a lesson on 'early results'.

After some emergency trading this morning I should break even, my house winnings overcome a small loss on the senate, but it's my Nevada bet that's killing my position.
    Literally just before I turned off the light I flipped my Nevada bet from GOP to (tiny) Dem stake.

I read a ralston tweet which suggested either turnout was through the floor or there was a lot of on the day drop offs that hadn't been accounted for.
    Nevada is showing 55%-44% to the Dem, with half the vote in - but that half is almost all Clark County (Las Vegas), the most Dem part of the State. It’s going to close substantially as the rest of the State declares.
    Washoe is key now . The Election Day vote went strongly for the GOP and so it’s down to the mail in ballots.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Roger said:

That old chestnut.

Good work.

While that's true, it's worth remembering that three quarters of Nevada's population lives in Clark County.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

nico679 said:

He won because Mastriano decided to make the election about whether the Jews really ran America. A spectacular own goal from the Republicans.
    One of the problems with tonight's results is that it is likely to tell the Democrats that it makes sense to fund the more extremist GOP candidates when it comes to primaries. I'm not sure that is great for democracy.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Based on who is leading the count this minute, House of Reps is:

Rep 219, Dem 216
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The odds on the Arizona Governor race have evened up dramatically - has PB hot tip Lake been hit by the Curse of Leondamus?

Lake is still some way behind, at 50% counted. I think the remaining votes will favour her, but it’s very close.

If she wins, she’s immediately thought of a a possible future presidential candidate - but if not, her career could be over before it started. That said, Beto O’Rouke is making a good career out of losing in Texas.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Roger said:

That old chestnut.

Good work.

The rurals apparently smashed it for the GOP and the Washoe early vote doesn't look enough to overcome the in day voting unless there was a big swing amongst indies to the Ds. It's going to be very close.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/jacobsolisnv/status/1590228742886289410?t=7Kx3H3UZYz5dny9f0Zq7kw&s=09

Masto up by 2k based on Early Voting to Sunday in Washoe.

Add on Monday and Tuesday drop offs and it is going to be a squeaker.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Lake is still some way behind, at 50% counted. I think the remaining votes will favour her, but it’s very close.

If she wins, she’s immediately thought of a a possible future presidential candidate - but if not, her career could be over before it started. That said, Beto O’Rouke is making a good career out of losing in Texas.
    The signs across the world that people want a bit more substance from our politicians in hard times, is mildly encouraging. Except the Italians, obvs.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,000
    Heathener said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

If the Dems gain CO-3, it would mean that two of the three Republican nutjobs have failed to be reelected (Marjorie Taylor Greene, Madison Cawthorne and Lauren Boebert).
    My dream would be for the Democrat crazies (aka the Squad) and the Republican crazies to all be defeated.

Say the Republicans win, and characteristically ignore the lessons of history and stop US support for Ukraine.

That means Ukraine is screwed (unless we think Europe and others can still support Ukraine enough to prevent Russia taking it over.

But Russia doing that will provoke massive instability in Europe. It will threaten the Baltic and other states, and further hurt their economies.

And who rather likes Europe's economies? China. And which country has been going somewhat colder against Russia over recent weeks? China.

So might China decide it is worth the cost and decide to fill the gap the US has left? Geopolitically it might be a positive thing for them to do, especially amongst some of their biggest customers.

It wouldn’t have the capability if it wanted to, and it wouldn’t want to because in that world it would feel its interests were best served by seeing a “Greater Russia” emerge. More likely to be a client state.
    I think that's totally wrong. China wants a weak Russia, and the 'Greater Russia' would be stronger. And Europe - which is fairly strongly in favour of maintaining Ukraine's sovereignty, is also a major customer for China. Russia is not.

Helping Ukraine in a defensive capacity also earns China brownie points for when they want to do (ahem) dodgier things.
    I know you really care about Ukraine, and so should all good people, but it really isn't the subject uppermost for many, even most, politicians and countries. Not America. Not China.

You may lament it, and for you it may be the thing you think about more than anything, but there are other competing global concerns.

Don't shoot me down. I'm just saying.
    Have I ever said there are not other competing global concerns?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Roger said:

That old chestnut.

Good work.

While that's true, it's worth remembering that three quarters of Nevada's population lives in Clark County.
    Yeah, sure there is no one in the rural parts of Nevada but those that are are voting GOP in eye popping ratios.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    IanB2 said:

Not as historic as this day in 1989, but if it sees the end of Trump then today is an important day. Johnson, Truss and Trump all seen off in just a few months! Crazy politics hits the wall.

.......you missed Bolsonaro
  • Options
    All my oitstanding bets are now laid off or free bets.

I lost on JD Vance and a hilariously speculative bet on my man Egg McMuffin in Utah.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I can’t see China arming the Ukranians. The equipment, training and logistics isn’t there for that, before we talk about other allies trusting the Chinese.

What’s quite probable though, is China taking advantage of Russian instability to take a good look at their own border. A Chinese push to gain Russian territory in the East, would really annoy the Russians, who can barely string together something approaching an army in the West, without having to worry about the East as well.
    What China could do is simply sail a fleet up past Russia's east coast, although the weather might no longer allow them to turn left at the top. But they could have done this at the start. It was supposed that Putin had made some sort of deal with Xi to give Russia a free hand, in which case Putin might not feel pressured to shore up his eastern flank.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Yet you think Trump should be a national politician.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Yet you think Trump should be a national politician.
    Nope. I think he should get out.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,611
    Roger said:

IanB2 said:

An Le Pen, only a few months ago.
    Next stop Putin!
  • Options
    I’m feeling rather confident on my DeSantis 2024 bets.
  • Options

One thing where we actually agree.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Disagree with the last bit if you like, because it’s a matter of opinion/assessment. But the available evidence supports the first bit. China can’t yet do out of area Ops in the way the US can at anything like the same scale:
  • Options
    Nevada Senate now 51/46, with 62% in.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    IanB2 said:

I don’t share your optimism. If people’s lives appear to go down the sh*tter once the populists have gone then I think it just sets up act two. Of those you name, only Trump lost an election having seen his own failures come home to roost (which is why I think he won’t win again).
  • Options

If Trump doesn't get Rep Nom what's to stop him filing and running as an independent ?

He'd split the base and deny De Santis victory. Biden wins.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    edited November 2022
    TimS said:

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

Next stop Putin!
    Leon's political heart-throbs taking a beating.
  • Options
    Milwauke is only 73% counted, is Johnson in trouble?
  • Options
    biggles said:

IanB2 said:

I don’t share your optimism. If people’s lives appear to go down the sh*tter once the populists have gone then I think it just sets up act two. Of those you name, only Trump lost an election having seen his own failures come home to roost (which is why I think he won’t win again).
    Act 2 might well be the left wing Populists, not the Right wingers.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Milwauke is only 73% counted, is Johnson in trouble?

No, he will squeak home,

At the moment, he is running around 2-4% ahead of Trump in 2020.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    IanB2 said:

Certainly better news but it remains difficult to be excited by the overall quality of the political class of all colours right now in most places. I mean how would you characterise the obvious senility of Biden and Fetterman is hardly a worthy exemplar for the Democrats. And here in Europe there are some pretty shocking characters in positions of power in several places. To be fair my own country of residence the leaders of the 2 main parties are ok but on current polling both are dependant on extremists of left and right and continuing issues with Catascotlandia :smiley:
  • Options
    NV Looks like Dems will lose Governor.

Dem Gov trailing Dem Senate performance
  • Options
    FYI, re Lake in AZ - on counties to report, she is running exactly in line with Trump in 2020
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Who would have thought that polling averages influenced by a flood of highly partisan polls including the completely ficticious Trafalgar garbage would be so wrong.

I don't think the plethora of Republican friendly polls made much difference to what's happening.
    As I've posted a number of times in the last week, the clues to a better than expected Democrat performance lay in the record breaking number of early votes and the reportedly high young voter involvement. It will be interesting to see the figures for young voters when they become available and also those for women which may well have been buoyed by the Roe SC decision.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

biggles said:

IanB2 said:

Act 2 might well be the left wing Populists, not the Right wingers.
    Fair. Everyone gets to have a go again. We all just hope we’re not the lucky country.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

Next stop Putin!
    What a mare of a year he’s having - Johnson, Truss, no second coming for the clown, now his pet American whackos are in trouble…and we’re still so far safe from nuclear war and alien invasion!
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Go Ron. Just read his single largest donor is Robert Bigelow.
  • Options
    Incidentally I am deeply disapointed that the GOP PA candidates were so shit we missed out on on play betting opportunities as the Philly vote was slowly counted.
  • Options

If Trump doesn't get Rep Nom what's to stop him filing and running as an independent ?

Nothing, I was talking about the GOP nomination market.
  • Options
    Will Trump now run?
    MikeL said:

Right now, I'd guess Sislak loses 51/49, while Cortez Mastro wins by the same margin.

But entirely possible that neither or both win.
  • Options

FYI, re Lake in AZ - on counties to report, she is running exactly in line with Trump in 2020

Then you can get on Lake now at 1.33….
  • Options

My thinking is this.

The GOP will do a deal with Trump: step out of the race and we will protect you from prosecution.

I think he knows, post-tonight, it's over - it is clear he turns out many voters but also RDS is a winner.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I'm not touching that bet with a bargepole - too close to call
  • Options

Trump as next president looks like a decent lay bet
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Disagree with the last bit if you like, because it’s a matter of opinion/assessment. But the available evidence supports the first bit. China can’t yet do out of area Ops in the way the US can at anything like the same scale:
    I'm not talking about China setting boots on the ground. Just china 'helping' Ukraine in the same way the US has. There are many aspects to this, many positive for China. Another example is the arms trade: the reputation of Russia's armaments has taken a pasting in the last nine months. China will want to grab many of those exports. What better way than showing them in action (and I have little doubt that modern Chinese weapons are of a better quality than Russia's).

But if they did want boots on the ground (and I don't think they'd do that), then the Ukraine war might be a good learning experience - in the same way that Russia (mis)used Syria - although in that case, Russia does not seem to have learnt enough.

Again, I'm not saying this will happen: but I do think it is a possibility if the US was to pull out.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Will Trump now run?

MikeL said:

Right now, I'd guess Sislak loses 51/49, while Cortez Mastro wins by the same margin.

I think Laxalt will just win.

The D lead in Clark is coming down plus the rurals look to have smashed it

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1590238927792635907
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited November 2022

My thinking is this.

The GOP will do a deal with Trump: step out of the race and we will protect you from prosecution.

I think he knows, post-tonight, it's over - it is clear he turns out many voters but also RDS is a winner.
    Trump will think tonight what he always thinks, that he is special, that he is the only person able to give the GOP the boost they need, because he is bigger than the GOP.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    IanB2 said:

She’s surely a lay at that price, in a race that’s way too close to call and where she’s currently 10.5% behind on votes counted?
  • Options
    felix said:

IanB2 said:

Certainly better news but it remains difficult to be excited by the overall quality of the political class of all colours right now in most places. I mean how would you characterise the obvious senility of Biden and Fetterman is hardly a worthy exemplar for the Democrats. And here in Europe there are some pretty shocking characters in positions of power in several places. To be fair my own country of residence the leaders of the 2 main parties are ok but on current polling both are dependant on extremists of left and right and continuing issues with Catascotlandia :smiley:
    Biden is old but has always been a bit dozy and prone to blankouts etc. He is still a wily operator, and if he pulls off these mid terms then clearly still a force to be reckoned with.

I heard a bit of Trumps speech the other day. Completely delusional about how he lost. He would take a hell of a beating if that was the central theme of his campaign.

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,611

biggles said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm not talking about China setting boots on the ground. Just china 'helping' Ukraine in the same way the US has. There are many aspects to this, many positive for China. Another example is the arms trade: the reputation of Russia's armaments has taken a pasting in the last nine months. China will want to grab many of those exports. What better way than showing them in action (and I have little doubt that modern Chinese weapons are of a better quality than Russia's).

But if they did want boots on the ground (and I don't think they'd do that), then the Ukraine war might be a good learning experience - in the same way that Russia (mis)used Syria - although in that case, Russia does not seem to have learnt enough.

Again, I'm not saying this will happen: but I do think it is a possibility if the US was to pull out.
    Trouble is China has conditioned its population to believe Russia is in an existential fight against the NATO imperialists aided and abetted by Nazi LGBT satanists in Ukraine, so doing anything beyond just moderating its political support for Russia would be a Truss-Kwarteng level of u-turn.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Morning all. Lame effort from the GOP outside Florexas/Texida and a handful of New York seats.
    Looks like they squeak a House majority, maybe on something as shit as Palin getting transfers!
    If so and they manage to get over the line in Nevada or much more unlikely Arizona (althiogh I think Lake will just make it) its all on the Georgia runoff!
  • Options
    Fetterman is already ahead in the Pennsylvania count? Oh my, this is going to be a stomping.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,258

I doubt that actually election results will stop Trump, when he's been so successful with the election-stealing rhetoric.

I expect that he's still very good odds for the nomination.
  • Options
    Lay England tomorrow/the tournament.

The Times are reporting that Mark Wood will not play due to injury and Chris Jordan will.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

Next stop Putin!
    IMO, Le Pen, or her party will win next time in France. The cordon sanitaire has been well and truly broken, and RN are now established as the main party on the Right.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

But note Lake is outperforming the Rep Senate candidate significantly - currrent deficit is 4 points less.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Will Trump now run?

MikeL said:

It's certainly very close.#

My gut is that Laxalt will be ahead at 6am tomorrow by a smidgen, but will see his lead eroded by late mail ins.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MikeL said:

Betfair: DeSantis now favourite for 2024.

For the Presidency but Trump is still favourite for the Republican nomination, which is.. odd.
    DeSantis would mop the floor with Biden, while Trump would probably lose.

So the odds are far from ridiculous.
    DeSantis vs Trump fighting it out with the Republican base may end up having similarities with Rishi vs Truss.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

Presidential odds move from Trump to DeSantis

Trump 4
    DeSantis 4.6

Someone just mentioned that on the show I was listening to - what if De Santis wins by a mile in Florida, which looks likely, but the Trump-endorsed candidates have a relatively poor night elsewhere. The momentum would definitely be with De Santis.

Still no numbers for Nevada, which looks like being key in the Senate race. Arizona also very close, although Walker might win Georgia without a runoff.
    I think RDS has this now. In hindsight, it might be the reason why Trump held off an announcement pre-election
    Yes but don't we think that Trump is capable of causing RDS a lot of trouble? If this is the way it goes, will the GOP be able to persuade Trump of backing RDS? Or might we have a 3rd big hitter on the ballot, Trump going solo and drawing off support from the Republicans?

The real winner I expect to be Joe Biden.

But let's not underestimate the role of God: https://twitter.com/CaseyDeSantis/status/1588539069243473924
    If Trump endorsed candidates lose, and Trump's grip on the GOP is removed, then the real winner is America, democracy and the world.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    So far the red wave looks like more of a red trickle.

Democrats likely to hold the Senate and while the GOP take the House it is with far fewer gains than they made in the 1994 and 2010 midterms and fewer too than the Democrats made in 2018
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

Next stop Putin!
    IMO, Le Pen, or her party will win next time in France. The cordon sanitaire has been well and truly broken, and RN are now established as the main party on the Right.
    That depends on whether or not Macron can find an attractive replacement.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

Next stop Putin!
    Been hearing that for decades, I am not convinced.

RN no longer have a Le Pen as leader for the first time.

• Options
    Feeling pretty pleased in my prediction last night that Democrats would outperform expectations.

I said it would be a narrow House loss but they would hold the Senate. Let’s see where things develop in the next few hours - Senate still on a knife edge but Dems must be slightly favoured at this stage.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Fetterman is already ahead in the Pennsylvania count? Oh my, this is going to be a stomping.

CNN have called it for Fetterman already. He’s 100k votes in front, with around 400k to come in.
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

China has a massive shipping fleet, and a massive arms industry.

Let's look at the scenario in more detail: the US stops giving any military aid to Ukraine. Europe and others still want Ukraine to win - because they are threatened by a Russian 'win'. Much of the US-supplied kit will become useless over time as ammunition and spares supplies decrease. But Ukraine still has vast numbers of ex-Soviet kit, both their own and captured.

So China says: "Hey, we will give you loads of ammo for that kit. And maybe new stuff. We'll send it over to Alexandroupoli." Europe then have two options: not to accept the help and transfer the kit to Ukraine, or to accept the help.

Unless there are massive strings attached, they will accept the help.

It's also interesting to think what such a move would mean geopolitcally. For instance, how would the African states who seem to be lukewarm, or siding towards Russia, act given China's presence inside Africa?

Again, I'm not saying this will happen; just that it is a possibility.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

Next stop Putin!
    Macron can't run again in 2027, of course Melenchon would also be a contender and Les Republicains if they find a decent candidate best placed to win the runoff
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I'm not sure why US polling is being criticised. On the whole, it looks like the pollsters put in quite a good performance.

In all likelihood, the Republicans will lead in vote share by about 1.5% for the House, with about 225/226 seats. That's in line with the 538 average, and only about 1% less than the RCP average.

What this shows is that candidate selection still matters. If you select a bad candidate, a very small, but noticeable, minority of your normal supporters won't vote for them. The Republicans ought to have won Georgia fairly easily, and to have held Pennsylvania, given the national environment is more favourable than it was two years ago. Their candidates ensured they didn't.

National level polls are not the problem in the USA, it is the state polls.

538 including Trafalgar (at an A rating!) is a serious error of judgement. They actually took them out in 2020 but Nate had a phone call with Cahaly and found him convincing enough to put back in.

Trafalgar polls are made up. Entirely of red flags.

This year Trafalgar really pushed the boat out in pouring out numbers.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Agree but I remember my strategy from 2016 and only Marco Rubio helped me get out of a massive hole.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Will Trump now run?

MikeL said:

It's certainly very close.#

My gut is that Laxalt will be ahead at 6am tomorrow by a smidgen, but will see his lead eroded by late mail ins.
    As you said before, even given tonight, there is still a path to GOP control of the Senate,

Hats off to you, you have called this brilliantly
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    HYUFD said:

Democrats likely to hold the Senate and while the GOP take the House it is with far fewer gains than they made in the 1994 and 2010 midterms and fewer too than the Democrats made in 2018

Good news for Sunak (incumbents can hang on despite economic headwinds and unfavourable polls) and good news for Starmer (the world is tired of the right, the centre left look stronger and fresh).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Morning all. Lame effort from the GOP outside Florexas/Texida and a handful of New York seats.
    Looks like they squeak a House majority, maybe on something as shit as Palin getting transfers!
    If so and they manage to get over the line in Nevada or much more unlikely Arizona (althiogh I think Lake will just make it) its all on the Georgia runoff!

How much money is going to be thrown at THAT?
  • Options

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

Trump 4
    DeSantis 4.6

Someone just mentioned that on the show I was listening to - what if De Santis wins by a mile in Florida, which looks likely, but the Trump-endorsed candidates have a relatively poor night elsewhere. The momentum would definitely be with De Santis.

Still no numbers for Nevada, which looks like being key in the Senate race. Arizona also very close, although Walker might win Georgia without a runoff.
    I think RDS has this now. In hindsight, it might be the reason why Trump held off an announcement pre-election
    Yes but don't we think that Trump is capable of causing RDS a lot of trouble? If this is the way it goes, will the GOP be able to persuade Trump of backing RDS? Or might we have a 3rd big hitter on the ballot, Trump going solo and drawing off support from the Republicans?

But let's not underestimate the role of God: https://twitter.com/CaseyDeSantis/status/1588539069243473924
    If Trump endorsed candidates lose, and Trump's grip on the GOP is removed, then the real winner is America, democracy and the world.
    Or you get very hardline Republicans who are just a lot more intelligent than Trump, like Ron de Santis. The thing about Trump is that he's too incompetent to be able to really subvert democracy.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

moonshine said:

Does anyone spot a potential rising star in tonight’s field that might challenge Biden for the nomination?

Whitmer.

If she was a man everyone would be talking about her.
    Or Buttigieg but to be fair to Biden he has just had the best midterms for an incumbent President's party since George W Bush in 2002 so may run again
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

She’s surely a lay at that price, in a race that’s way too close to call and where she’s currently 10.5% behind on votes counted?
    The market is way too thin to lay - last time I looked the lay odds were way too high
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,952
    Alistair said:

DR LOZZ
    https://twitter.com/marisakabas/status/1590221626649759745

We simply love to see Dr. Oz, a man who didn’t know when the Steelers were on a bye, take an L on primetime
    https://twitter.com/TheWilderThings/status/1590223075953774592
    https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1590220564093886464
  • Options
    Lots of expletive-laced texts from Republicans about the outcome of the Pennsylvania Senate race tonight.
    https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1590247740243841024
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

Trump 4
    DeSantis 4.6

Or you get very hardline Republicans who are just a lot more intelligent than Trump, like Ron de Santis. The thing about Trump is that he's too incompetent to be able to really subvert democracy.
    I don't know much about DeSantis. Is he hardline in his politics, or in wanting to subvert democracy?

Someone who has hardcore politics that I disagree with, democratically elected, is far superior to someone willing to subvert democracy even if you agree with their politics.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

CNN have called it for Fetterman already. He’s 100k votes in front, with around 400k to come in.
    What a pair of titans the shit hole/granite state treated us to
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It certainly does.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

While that's so, bear in mind in 1994 and 2010, the Republicans were starting from a considerably lower base (as were the Democrats in 2018).

What I hadn't appreciated is that boundary changes actually favoured the Democrats this time, after State Supreme Courts struck down redistricting in Ohio and North Carolina.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    David Butler - the god of political betters has died.... Sad news.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

Trump 4
    DeSantis 4.6

Plus some blue-collar Democrats will only turn out to vote GOP if Trump is on the ballot, not for Trump backed extremists or conventional or moderate GOP.

He is like Boris in that respect, toxic to his opponents but reaches white working class voters no other conservative can too.

• Options
    Trump personally has fared well, chasing nearly every House R who backed impeachment out of office. Some of his candidates fared well. But of the GOP bright spots on Tuesday was from the candidate who Trump kicked in the head - DeSantis
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/09/us/politics/trump-endorsements-midterms-gop.html
  • Options
    I logged off last night with people commenting about how smug the Fox News hosts were looking.

Rather better news it seems to be waking up to.

Hopefully GA can avoid a run-off. Looking tight there.
  • Options
    Great that there will be a historic number of women governors. Sad that this will only be around ten, in 2022.
  • Options

I doubt that actually election results will stop Trump, when he's been so successful with the election-stealing rhetoric.

I expect that he's still very good odds for the nomination.
    I'm staying on him for Nom, only covering myself with DeSantis to neutral, and laying Trump for the Presidency.

Other big bet is Biden for next President. I agree with @Pulpstar that those are crazy good odds.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,990
    Well
  • Options

How much money is going to be thrown at THAT?
    I'm heading to Fulton with some comedy suitcases full of ballots for the lolz
  • Options
    In other news, huge Crypto exchange FTX looks like it’s insolvent, and about to be taken over by Binance. Bitcoin is down 10% in 24 hours.
  • Options

Feeling pretty pleased in my prediction last night that Democrats would outperform expectations.

I said it would be a narrow House loss but they would hold the Senate. Let’s see where things develop in the next few hours - Senate still on a knife edge but Dems must be slightly favoured at this stage.

Good call. I have to say I was expecting an absolute drubbing for the Dems and so have woken up feeling slightly better about the world.
  • Options

I logged off last night with people commenting about how smug the Fox News hosts were looking.

Rather better news it seems to be waking up to.

Hopefully GA can avoid a run-off. Looking tight there.

GA is going to be 49/49, with the Libertarian on 2%. Definitely a runoff.
This discussion has been closed.