Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In an hour we’ll find out if Penny Mordaunt is the new Boris Johnson – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595
    HYUFD said:

Penddu2 said:

My Indian colleagues are referring to this as a reverse takeover....

Sunak was born in the UK not India even if he has Indian heritage
    That was not intended to be anti-Indian - my Indian colleagues are very happy about it
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

How it works: James Cleverly

'Replacing Liz Truss would be politically and economically disastrous'
    -13 October

'Boris Johnson has learned his lessons. I will be voting for him'
    -23 October

'I voted for Rishi Sunak'
    -24 October

Hence the saying, Cleverly by name.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Andy_JS said:

The Tories messed up both recent leadership elections. The first one was far too long in terms of the time it took, and this one was far too short. Overcorrection.

Why too short? It's an emergency situation, and they all know each other.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    The BBC have an article up headlined "What does the prime minister actually do?". Have things really slid that far? :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48497953
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174
    GIN1138 said:

So the Conservative Party has given us three female Prime Ministers (least said about the final two the better mind ;) ) and now the the first ethnic minority Prime Minister.

Labour meanwhile... ?

This is the dullest argument being made on PB. You are more than welcome to say the Labour Party are a load of ****, but this criticism is nonsense.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,453
    148grss said:

148grss said:

I've been away the last week, so not posted here, but how do we feel about the person who lost six weeks ago in a membership vote now being anointed as PM - will the Tory membership be happy?

Seems lots of Johnsonite MPs are... not on board:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/24/rishi-sunak-will-face-ungovernable-tory-party-warns-johnson-supporter

Sod the Tory membership. They have played a large part in this mess.
    I mean, if the Tory party is concerned about winning elections and its longevity, alienating the membership is not great.
    No. The Tory party needs to appeal to the general public and speak to their desires and needs.

Membership and internal debate should be encouraged but members cannot expect the party to always march to their tune. It is part of the broad church nature of our political parties that some compromise is required.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    kle4 said:

148grss said:

I've been away the last week, so not posted here, but how do we feel about the person who lost six weeks ago in a membership vote now being anointed as PM - will the Tory membership be happy?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/24/rishi-sunak-will-face-ungovernable-tory-party-warns-johnson-supporter

Membership need to get over themselves. I'm sure some dont like it but MPs know if a situation is untenable, even if they also make bad choices.
    I think the membership would have voted for Rishi this time. 43% voted for him last time so it wouldn't have needed a big swing.
  • Options
    148grss said:

I really could not care less about the membership who are dominated by right wingers
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

148grss said:

Membership need to get over themselves. I'm sure some dont like it but MPs know if a situation is untenable, even if they also make bad choices.
    I think the membership would have voted for Rishi this time. 43% voted for him last time so it wouldn't have needed a big swing.
    Depends who it was against.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

IanB2 said:

Sunak standing on a chair in 25 mins

Some atelier in Paris will be getting a discreet order for a Sarkozy box.
    I think he’s taller than Putin?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817

GIN1138 said:

So the Conservative Party has given us three female Prime Ministers (least said about the final two the better mind ;) ) and now the the first ethnic minority Prime Minister.

Labour meanwhile... ?

This is the dullest argument being made on PB. You are more than welcome to say the Labour Party are a load of ****, but this criticism is nonsense.
    It does look odd though doesn't it? Labour's not even had a female leader yet?
  • Options

Just under an hour to go until Sunak gets it by coronation.

Gutted to miss out on the £5000, but will take that as a moral, Pyrrhic victory.

Hopefully Sunak has learned that increasing National Insurance was a mistake and won't do that again.

Hopefully Sunak takes a balanced overview and doesn't listen to obsessive lobbyists.

Everything needs to go up. Sadly.
    If everything needs to go up, then start with Income Tax, which is paid by everyone, rather than NI which is only paid by those who work.

There is no justification slashing Income Tax by 4p, while increasing NI, is there?
    No there isn't. Either extend NI to all earned income, or increase Income Tax by N+4p and reduce NI by Np in the pound - where N is about 13.25 ;-)
    Good start.

We could go further. Increase Income Tax by 9 above that and abolish 'student loan repayments'.

Everyone should pay the same rate of income tax. If you think that rate is too high for you, its too high for anyone else too.
    It's funny how far apart we on most things but agree on that. Also, I believe, on the need to move away from taxing income towards taxing wealth.
    I don't agree with taxing wealth, but do agree with taxing land, which amounts to much the same thing.

If I were in charge I'd start by increasing income tax by 22.25% and abolishing NI and Student Loans. Abolish Stamp Duty and Council Tax and replace with an annual Land Tax.

If there's a budget surplus, then we can start reducing income tax, for everyone uniformly.
    You are a purveyor of the politics of envy. You are no better than Jeremy Corbyn. As I have said to you before, if you spent a little more time working, and a little less time writing politically and economically incoherent bollox on here, then maybe you could afford a few more of the things you are so jealous of other people for having.
    Ishmael_Z said:

Just under an hour to go until Sunak gets it by coronation.

Gutted to miss out on the £5000, but will take that as a moral, Pyrrhic victory.

Hopefully Sunak has learned that increasing National Insurance was a mistake and won't do that again.

Hopefully Sunak takes a balanced overview and doesn't listen to obsessive lobbyists.

Everything needs to go up. Sadly.
    If everything needs to go up, then start with Income Tax, which is paid by everyone, rather than NI which is only paid by those who work.

There is no justification slashing Income Tax by 4p, while increasing NI, is there?
    No there isn't. Either extend NI to all earned income, or increase Income Tax by N+4p and reduce NI by Np in the pound - where N is about 13.25 ;-)
    Good start.

We could go further. Increase Income Tax by 9 above that and abolish 'student loan repayments'.

Everyone should pay the same rate of income tax. If you think that rate is too high for you, its too high for anyone else too.
    It's funny how far apart we on most things but agree on that. Also, I believe, on the need to move away from taxing income towards taxing wealth.
    I don't agree with taxing wealth, but do agree with taxing land, which amounts to much the same thing.

If I were in charge I'd start by increasing income tax by 22.25% and abolishing NI and Student Loans. Abolish Stamp Duty and Council Tax and replace with an annual Land Tax.

If there's a budget surplus, then we can start reducing income tax, for everyone uniformly.
    "... increasing income tax by 22.25% and abolishing NI..."

That would be catastrophic of course. Truss levels of chaos.

You'd need to be careful increasing the tax on the 20% + 13.25% NI taxpayers. Your proposal would reduce the net income of that group by 15% at a stroke.
    Not if they're young graduates. It wouldn't be a change at all if they're graduates, it would just bring everyone else up to the same level they're expected to pay. And if its good enough for them, why's it not for everyone else?

Of course it wouldn't need to go up that high if tax were fairly paid by everyone, so by expecting everyone to pay their own share we'd have a lower tax rate for those currently getting shafted (eg young graduates) while those currently dodging tax (eg old graduates with a wealth of unearned income by now) pay their fair share.
    What makes the income of old graduates "unearned?"

You are living proof that the politics of envy is a thing.
    Amusing to see the parasites who want to evade tax that others are expected to pay lash out about "envy".

Suggesting that everyone should pay the same tax rate isn't a politics of "envy". Suggesting that others should pay tax, but not you, that is.
    I imagine you pay very little tax, but not as a result of tax avoidance. Productivity avoidance is your way of achieving this sorry state.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Rajdeep Sardesai
    @sardesairajdeep
    Breaking: Rishi Sunak to be next British PM: a PM of Indian origin on Diwali day: a glass ceiling has been well and truly broken. Let’s celebrate diversity in Britain and yes, hopefully in India too! #RishiSunak

https://twitter.com/sardesairajdeep/status/1584535484021477378
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Labour meanwhile... ?

It's more something to bring out when someone does a Rupa Huq.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I am so utterly delighted at Rishi winning the vote and look forward to his premiership

Back on board, BigG? Wahey.
    I am definitely on board from today
    Never in doubt, never in doubt ...
    It was all over for me if Johnson had won it and I have made that clear for a long time

Johnson appalled me and I was polititically homeless, but Rishi's election has changed all that
    You have said some very negative things about Sunak. What's changed?
    Please quote them
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

The Tories messed up both recent leadership elections. The first one was far too long in terms of the time it took, and this one was far too short. Overcorrection.

Why too short? It's an emergency situation, and they all know each other.
    If only they'd done this last time...or at least, 50 nominations required. That would have lopped off Truss, Braverman, Badenoch, Hunt and Tugendhat on the fly leaving Sunak and Mordaunt as the choice for the members.

And OK Mordaunt wouldn't have been great but she would have been way better than this!
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Andrew Bridgen clearly giving Rishi a chance...

“I’m off to get that letter in”.
    https://order-order.com/quote/bridgen-reacts-to-new-pm-rishi/
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    GIN1138 said:

Labour meanwhile... ?

Second, if you count the Jewish Disraeli…meanwhile in Labour’s Diversity Drive they’ve got a leader from Kentish Town, not the more usual Islington.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    AlistairM said:

Well, that's wonderful news.

He's finally learned to write.

Congratulations are in order.
  • Options
    148grss said:

148grss said:

I mean, if the Tory party is concerned about winning elections and its longevity, alienating the membership is not great.
    It depends which bit of it they alienate. If they just alienate those that have caused much of the problem and they leave, and then the party gravitates back to being a sensible right of centre business orientated party then that is an outcome that can only be positive.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,810
    I suspect Rishi's immediate challenge is dealing with the situation of the country rather than the internal politics.

We know who the vocal minority are who have been loudest about betrayal, but the breadth of people who switched to Sunak both before and after Boris dropped out - Bridgen, Baker, Braverman and even some of those not sharing the letter B with Boris - suggests that, even amongst a lot of those who clung to Johnson, there is some understanding and acceptance of why that happened.

That may endure for a little while, some months. In the longer term it is how shallow rooted that acceptance is and how the administration goes that will determine how fractious the party is.

But, it's perfectly possible that Dorries et al will be an isolated bunch just howling at the moon like the Corbynites they mirror.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Dura_Ace said:

Brady says only received ONE valid nomination - which raises questions over Johnson’s 102….

Sunak will address MPs in 1922 room at 2.30.

Guys! We totally smashed it!

Someone got those Rishi helium balloons to market quickly....
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Has anyone told him Rish! is safe for 12 months (like Truss was!)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Hopefully this will result in all of the racist members leaving like that idiot on LBC yesterday. People like that are a disgrace to the party and have no place in it.

They had an old f***wit on 5live earlier, they tend to be "I'm not racist, but Richi betrayed Boris and is unfit for office...". All these people should **** off whatever their party stripe.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited October 2022
    Neat takeover of No10 by the almost-billionaire, starting in July when he resigned from the government.

He could never have won a membership vote, but it turned out there was another route.

Questions include

1. Will someone (Banksy?) put the money up to split the Tory party? (Recall Malcolm Pearson meeting Tommy Robinson in the HoL.)

2. Did Sunak try to become a scholar at Winchester, or did he think that becoming anything other than a commoner was beyond his grasp? (What do you reckon, @Boulay? :smile: )

3. What will the Daily Mail say about the Sunak administration's imminent (Halloween) budget, or will the entire media perhaps call it Hunt's statement? (Recall the Daily Mail's joyous applause for the Truss and Kwarteng budget.)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    Sunak address to MPs in private —BBC News.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

GIN1138 said:

Labour meanwhile... ?

Indeed, the stale, pale, male Labour leadership can easily pass a motion with the brothers stating they are the absolute boys of diversity. Simple.
  • Options
    Does this mean King Charles will die on Wednesday?
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    The next polls will be interesting to see if there is an immediate bounce. I suspect there will be. Questions are, how big and how long?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Dyed, even in jest, the 'stale, pale, male' line is an ugly one.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

GIN1138 said:

Labour meanwhile... ?

Indeed, the stale, pale, male Labour leadership can easily pass a motion with the brothers stating they are the absolute boys of diversity. Simple.
    Shush. You know any criticism of Labour or their sainted Leader is heresy on this site.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    AlistairM said:

The next polls will be interesting to see if there is an immediate bounce. I suspect there will be. Questions are, how big and how long?

Omnisis taken Friday and Saturday was no change, tonights Redfield will have been conducted yeterday
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    148grss said:

148grss said:

The point here is that the Conservative party membership should not be electing the leader on a "one person one vote" system. Particularly not if the party is already in government. Liz Truss is the embodiment of how dysfunctional such a system can be. Some people may leave in frustration. But others will join. People were members of the Conservative party long before the idea was planted that members have a right to choose the leader.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Labour meanwhile... ?

No. No, it doesn't
  • Options
    edited October 2022

GIN1138 said:

Labour meanwhile... ?

The Tories have had as many Prime Ministers in less than seven years as Labour have had in more than eight decades, so the sample sizes are different.
    Labour have only switched leader while in office twice in the last fifty years.

The Conservatives have switched leader in office twice in the last fifty days.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Labour meanwhile... ?

It's irrelevant. Are Labour competent or incompetent? That is the only question you, and I, need to ponder.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

GIN1138 said:

Labour meanwhile... ?

It's nonsense to point out that for all Labour's playing of identity politics, their leader is always a white man, usually from North London? And yo use this as a criticism of the utility of identity politics?
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,725
    edited October 2022

GIN1138 said:

Labour meanwhile... ?

The Tories have had as many Prime Ministers in less than seven years as Labour have had in more than eight decades, so the sample sizes are different.
    Labour have had 19 permanent leaders, excluding acting leaders.

How many of those 19 were non-white or female? From a party that claims to care about "identity" "representation".
  • Options

Mr. Dyed, even in jest, the 'stale, pale, male' line is an ugly one.

It is, but there we go. The left choose to indulge in hypocrisy whilst championing identity politics so they deserve occasional opprobrium
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited October 2022
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Very anecdotal, I know, but I now feel able to support the Conservatives, and it was only a few months ago that I was genuinely thinking of voting Labour for the first time ever. I suspect the Tories will lose quite a few on the populist far right that loved The Clown, but I think it Sunak can pull a decent team around him he has a real prospect of blunting the Labour advance. If he gets some luck on his side then things might change and lots of people might be saying "SKS fans please explain" 🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    "King Charles will return to London from Sandringham, and will be in Buckingham Palace this evening, ITV’s Chris Ship reports. That means he could accept Liz Truss’s resignation and appoint Rishi Sunak as PM tonight."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/oct/24/uk-politics-live-rishi-sunak-penny-mordaunt-boris-johnson-withdrawal-nominations-deadline-tory-leadership-contest-race
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

Labour meanwhile... ?

Since the war, the Tories have had 15 leaders to Labour's 12.

When Cameron and Corbyn were leaders, the score was 11-11.
    Pernickety point - but does that include George Brown, Beckett and Harman?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,810

AlistairM said:

Has anyone told him Rish! is safe for 12 months (like Truss was!)
    Bridgen

(a) supported Rishi
    (b) said the ERG should stay out of this leadership election and had cocked it up
    (c) is clearly humouring his former fellow troublemakers

He's clearly regenerated and I'm warming to this incarnation Andrew Bridgen, lord help me.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,803
    Whatever side you’re on I do think it’s a very positive image for the country to have the first PM of Indian heritage and a practicing Hindu.

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926
    DJ41 said:

Neat takeover of No10 by the almost-billionaire, starting in July when he resigned from the government.

He could never have won a membership vote, but it turned out there was another route.

Questions include

1. Will someone (Banksy?) put the money up to split the Tory party? (Recall Malcolm Pearson meeting Tommy Robinson in the HoL.)

2. Did Sunak try to become a scholar at Winchester, or did he think that becoming anything other than a commoner was beyond his grasp? (What do you reckon, @Boulay? :smile: )

3. What will the Daily Mail say about the Sunak administration's imminent (Halloween) budget, or will the entire media perhaps call it Hunt's statement? (Recall the Daily Mail's joyous applause for the Truss and Kwarteng budget.)

You don’t want to be a scholar, Dynamo, otherwise you turn out like Marcus Fysh.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    What will Fucker Carlson say?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    @Jacob_Rees_Mogg
    Now is the time for party unity and I congratulate
    @RishiSunak
    on his victory and will support his leadership.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983

Betfair haven't settled as yet

Betfair have settled on Boris's nominations and Rishi as Conservative leader, and LizT's exit date as party leader.
    Ah, just not on next PM (my market).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

When I was in India in July, there was a lot of excitement about Sunak. I predict they will find a way to do that trade deal.

A pure trade deal yes, free movement from India would go down badly in the redwall
    There's not going to be free movement between the UK and India, alright there might be some kind of visa deal.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I am so utterly delighted at Rishi winning the vote and look forward to his premiership

Back on board, BigG? Wahey.
    I am definitely on board from today
    Never in doubt, never in doubt ...
    It was all over for me if Johnson had won it and I have made that clear for a long time

Johnson appalled me and I was polititically homeless, but Rishi's election has changed all that
    You have said some very negative things about Sunak. What's changed?
    Please quote them
    I could dig a few out, but the point was not to embarrass you. You were disappointed with him earlier this year. I wonder how you got over that.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    edited October 2022

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Labour meanwhile... ?

It's irrelevant. Are Labour competent or incompetent? That is the only question you, and I, need to ponder.
    The Conservative party achieved diversity at leadership level without changing the rules to push women/BAME candidates forward. However, Labour have pushed women /BAME candidates forward, through lists, quotas etc. It may be just that the Conservative system is better at bringing finding talented politicians capable of doing the high level jobs.

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited October 2022
    If I'm not very much mistaken, it was Cameron that did change the rules to bring less conventional Tory candidates forward, with his "selection A-list".
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    HYUFD said:

@Jacob_Rees_Mogg
    @RishiSunak

Funny definition of 'bust'
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

HYUFD said:

@Jacob_Rees_Mogg
    @RishiSunak

Funny definition of 'bust'
    means "from the back benches, until dispatched by the voters..."
This discussion has been closed.