Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Penny for your thoughts – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233
    edited October 2022

kinabalu said:

Under two hours until the 'why a visibly ethnic minority running the country isn't actually important or good because they're on the other team' articles start to drop.

https://twitter.com/DavidDPaxton/status/1584503604223754241

That's not long at all - so why not wait?
    Started already:

No, Sunak's potential crowning as PM is a not moment to celebrate diversity. If you think so then you've not really listened to his politics or the people they will hurt most. Few children or young POC will be inspired by a person working against their/their families' interests.

https://twitter.com/mirrordarren/status/1584462212046852098

“It’s only diversity if you think like me”.

This is a trap (for want of a better term) Labour must be incredibly careful not to fall into . I fully expect some to do so.
    It should be really easy to celebrate it as an example of the progress made over past decades, while still noting the progress to continue to work towards.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

kinabalu said:

Under two hours until the 'why a visibly ethnic minority running the country isn't actually important or good because they're on the other team' articles start to drop.

Started already:

No, Sunak's potential crowning as PM is a not moment to celebrate diversity. If you think so then you've not really listened to his politics or the people they will hurt most. Few children or young POC will be inspired by a person working against their/their families' interests.

This is a trap (for want of a better term) Labour must be incredibly careful not to fall into . I fully expect some to do so.

Well, if this forum's anything to go by, the people who keep raising Sunak's ethnic background are those on the right. Presumably they're hoping some on the left will rise to the bait.

I haven't noticed anybody on the left bring it up (except when responding to comments, as now).
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

Is duck seafood?

Bombay duck, yes.
    Why not duck duck though? They live on water.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2022

kinabalu said:

Started already:

That will be interesting news to a lot of companies who are interested in diversity. No point in having someone of colour as your CEO as they are therefore rich and don't count. They are de facto white people if they have money. All people of colour should make sure they are poor or else they have to self-declare themselves white.

This is how fucking stupid people are on the left.
    I fully expect to see an extremely diverse cabinet under Sunak. Not because of any token "positive" discrimination, rather a combination of who have shown to be capable ministers or capable campaigners / greasy poll climbers within the Tory party (and getting rid of the numpty Boris-ites like JRM).
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

What a mess. You have to love these Tories, can't event manage a stitch up cleanly. This is a plot GoT turned down for being too silly.

No, it has been a triumph. Bozo has been humiliated for a second time. I loved last night, and am particularly loving the fact that he had to lie about the number of MPs that backed him, and that no-one, even the most supremely gullible (has anyone asked HYUFD?), think there is the tiniest chance he is telling the truth

hahahahahahaha
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

kinabalu said:

Started already:

Now, about that poll saying 10% were effectively racist against Sunak....perhaps a proportion of that isn't coming from the sort of people you think.
    I know a several women who think that Margaret Thatcher made a big difference in how they, as women, were taken seriously. Or not.. in the world of work. Most of them wouldn’t vote Tory in a million years
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Started already:

That will be interesting news to a lot of companies who are interested in diversity. No point in having someone of colour as your CEO as they are therefore rich and don't count. They are de facto white people if they have money. All people of colour should make sure they are poor or else they have to self-declare themselves white.

I fully expect to see an extremely diverse cabinet under Sunak. Not because of any token "positive" discrimination, rather a combination of who have shown to be capable ministers or capable campaigners / greasy poll climbers within the Tory party.
    I am hoping the quite correct desire for diversity in cabinet does not extend to Jacob Rees-Mogg though
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited October 2022
    DougSeal said:

Is duck seafood?

Catholics in North America used to get around the meat ban in Lent by eating Beaver on Fridays which the bishop of Quebec reclassified as 'fish'
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Jonathan said:

Rishi is walking into a trap by avoiding a leadership vote. He will struggle with a reputation as a technocrat regardless. Dodging an election will not help that and will dog his premiership. He will be better if is Mordaunt gets her numbers and triggers a vote.

A vote by 180,000 self selecting octagenarian Tory Members just draws attention to the historical absurdity that got us to where we are. Moreso when we're shown these members deliberating in pubs throughout the shires in quite misleading vox pops

A vote by the 310 elected Tory MPs sthough not perfect appears much more legitimate.
    For a politician who with struggle with a technocratic global-elite persona, avoiding a vote is a risk IMO.
    I don't think the public take a mandate from Tory party members seriously. Not for being prime minister anyway.
    Yes. Tory MPs claiming that are being disingenuous suggesting it would be treated like a public mandate.
    Lol. What's actually happening is that most Tory MPs (other than the usual suspects) are totally fine with this, and instead it's Labour MPs* arguing that the Conservative party membership vote confers some sort of mandate**.

* eg: https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1584431842471530496?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

** it can't be the MPs vote, since Sunak already won that one the last time round
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Who do we expect to get the big jobs though?

CoE - Hunt
    HO - Gove
    FCO - Tugendhat/Javid
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Pulpstar said:

I fear before long someone's going to go one stage further than the current XR protests and we'll start seeing great art, cultural artifacts and history of the last 1000+ years literally destroyed.

Good. Out with the Four Olds.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    edited October 2022

I am very much hoping Dorries has the whip removed. I am sure a reason can be found.

Or maybe better go with a "just leave it, Rishi, she's not worth it" since she's off to the Lords?

That way he shows he's the bigger man.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

Is duck seafood?

Bombay duck, yes.
    This conversation is completely quackers.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

BREAK: Rishi Sunak did **not** commit to spending 3% GDP on defence spending in meeting with ERG this morning.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1584503502545768448

Yes, it's 3% on Attack spending
  • Options
    edited October 2022

kinabalu said:

Started already:

I fully expect to see an extremely diverse cabinet under Sunak. Not because of any token "positive" discrimination, rather a combination of who have shown to be capable ministers or capable campaigners / greasy poll climbers within the Tory party.
    I am hoping the quite correct desire for diversity in cabinet does not extend to Jacob Rees-Mogg though
    Surely the Tories must have a better eccentric posho to fill the box ticking quota...
  • Options
    edited October 2022

DougSeal said:

Is duck seafood?

Catholics in North America used to get around the meat ban in Lent by eating Beaver on Fridays which the bishop of Quebec reclassified as 'fish'
    Ummmmm....
  • Options

CoE - Hunt
    HO - Gove
    FCO - Tugendhat/Javid

I'd be happy with those. It would be the most sensible cabinet for several years
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,147
    Right. Back to sleep in my scorpion infested ranch in Pima County, Az

I can hear the coyotes, yipping me to oblivion

Night night PB
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Is duck seafood?

Ummmmm....
    Not a word of it is intended as smut. Just a very happy coincidence
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653

kinabalu said:

Started already:

There are a lot of smart people on the Left, but as with people of all persuasions they are blind to their own failings and how their “concern” can be deeply patronising.

This is a parody, but I suspect life will be imitating art before too long:

"By foregoing victimhood and becoming millionaires, Brown People internalise white supremacy, set back race relations, and deprive me of opportunities to patronise them", writes Jolyocasta Whyte-Saviah for *The Guardian*

https://twitter.com/DamCou/status/1584505662813261824
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,452

CoE - Hunt
    HO - Gove
    FCO - Tugendhat/Javid

I think Penny will probably get one of FCO (what she’d rather) or HO (what she wouldn’t, but would find difficult to turn down).
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited October 2022
    OT. I just saw the first overt racism I've witnessed for a long time. (I owe TSE an apology).

I was having two tyres changed on my car and the fitter was talking to me about his motorbikes when he said 'Powell was right. He said we'd be taken over by Muslims in 15 years and it's happened'

'Sorry?' I said thinking I'd misheard

'With this Rishi' he said. 'We'll all have to wear face coverings!'

'That Truss woman was hopeless. She walked sideways'

'Walked sideways?' I asked

He then did an impersonation.

He'd told me earlier that he was ex military. He had a BMW motorbike and belonged to a motorbike club. He and his pals go on trips to Europe. What was rather shocking was that he could have this conversation with a complete stranger
  • Options
    Leon said:

Night night PB

Apparently, scorpions are likely to survive the apocalypse along with cockroaches and novelists.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

CoE - Hunt
    HO - Gove
    FCO - Tugendhat/Javid

I would have Javid back to Health. Its always a tricky job, especially now, and requires somebody who knuckles down, not flashy, just boring competent management...which is Javid.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I am very much hoping Dorries has the whip removed. I am sure a reason can be found.

Or maybe better go with a "just leave it, Rishi, she's not worth it" since she's off to the Lords?

That way he shows he's the bigger man.
    Dorries being in the Lords has to be the best reason for its abolition that I have ever heard of.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    rcs1000 said:

BREAK: Rishi Sunak did **not** commit to spending 3% GDP on defence spending in meeting with ERG this morning.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1584503502545768448

Yes, it's 3% on Attack spending
    2% on defence and 1% on attack would be fine.

Seriously though he talked about defence spending based on threats. The 2% target is really there to stop Nato countries free-riding. What we spend it on probably matters more that the arbitrary total.
  • Options
    Roger said:

OT. I just saw the first overt racism I've witnessed for a long time. (I owe TSE an apology).

I was having two tyres changed on my car and the fitter was talking to me about his motorbikes when he said 'Powell was right. He said we'd be taken over by Muslims in 15 years and it's happened'

He'd told me earlier that he was ex military. He had a BMW motorbike and belonged to a motorbike club. He and his pals go on trips to Europe. What was rather shocking was that he could have this conversation with a complete stranger

Yup. Note that Rishi is a muslim and that means Sharia Law and all our white women will have to wear a hijab. There is no reasoning with racists.
  • Options

CoE - Hunt
    HO - Gove
    FCO - Tugendhat/Javid

I would have Javid back to Health.
    That's what I'm hoping for, but I fear we could be looking at a Hancock revival. That will tell us how much influence Hunt has over Sunak's cabinet choices (Hancock is much more closely aligned with Hunt's approach to health policy than Javid).
  • Options

IDS supports Sunak.

That is bound to push Sunak's support down a bit.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Roger said:

You have never witnessed any overt racism towards Muslims / Arabs / North Africans in all the time you spend in France...about as likely as the story you just told.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/law/2022/oct/24/post-brexit-proposals-mean-2400-laws-could-disappear-lawyers-warn

Don't worry. In a few hours we won't need to worry about Mr Rees-Mogg and his ideas ever again.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Roger said:

I'll take "things that never happened" for $500, Alex.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Driver said:

Roger said:

You can tell why Roger ended up doing shit ads rather than the big tv / film jobs....even in Hollywood the script needs to be a tiny bit believable.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Started already:

Well, if this forum's anything to go by, the people who keep raising Sunak's ethnic background are those on the right. Presumably they're hoping some on the left will rise to the bait.

I haven't noticed anybody on the left bring it up (except when responding to comments, as now).
    "Ha ha ha, Britain's 1st brown PM, and it's a Tory. Bet the left are fucking livid. Just watch how they refuse to celebrate and accept this proves the Tories not Labour are the champions of diversity."

We didn't have to wait the 2 hours for this either.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121

Roger said:

Yup. Note that Rishi is a muslim and that means Sharia Law and all our white women will have to wear a hijab. There is no reasoning with racists.
    White men too by the sound of it.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited October 2022
    Leon said:

Night night PB

I have a book here on 'Desert Holes' which tells you all about the critters that live underground in the Sonora.

I was very glad to be camping there in winter when they are all asleep.

We really do lack much variety in our pesky varmints here in the UK.
  • Options
    Roger said:

It's not a proper anecdote unless it involves an Albanian taxi driver.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2022/oct/24/post-brexit-proposals-mean-2400-laws-could-disappear-lawyers-warn

Don't worry. In a few hours we won't need to worry about Mr Rees-Mogg and his ideas ever again.

"Laws could disappear, lawyers warn".

Less opportunity for business?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    PaulSimon said:

CoE - Hunt
    HO - Gove
    FCO - Tugendhat/Javid

I would have Javid back to Health.
    That's what I'm hoping for, but I fear we could be looking at a Hancock revival. That will tell us how much influence Hunt has over Sunak's cabinet choices (Hancock is much more closely aligned with Hunt's approach to health policy than Javid).
    Sunak is a convincing post Brexit PM but he really really needs to put as much distance between himself and the pandemic as possible if he’s to stand any chance in 2024, for a variety of reasons. Other than giving a job to Chris Witty, it’s hard to think of any appointment that could undermine this more than letting Matt Grabock anywhere near a dispatch box or tv camera. We’ll soon see if Sunak is a smart political operator or not.

• Options
    How long before the next council elections? Now the Clown and his spawn is no more, I am looking forward to putting to putting an X in the box marked Conservative. I know I am unlikely on my own to reverse the odds-on certainty of a Labour/public sector government, but every little helps!
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,452
    Ok Penny, probably time to bow out gracefully now….
  • Options

Roger said:

You have never witnessed any overt racism towards Muslims / Arabs / North Africans in all the time you spend in France...about as likely as the story you just told.
    I don't think I have recently. I remember an incident a few years ago at a garage. But not like this. I am slightly in shock.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,080
    edited October 2022
    Jonathan said:

What a mess. You have to love these Tories, can't event manage a stitch up cleanly. This is a plot GoT turned down for being too silly.

I believe House of the Dragon are seriously considering for series II tho'.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    An average audience of 3.7 million watched Jodie Whittaker's final Doctor Who episode. The viewing figures are significantly lower than they were for Whittaker's debut in October 2018, which saw an average of 8.2 million viewers tune in.

That's some going, losing half your audience even for when comparing a special episode vs average for a whole season (and beaten by the Antiques Roadshow).
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

Is duck seafood?

Bombay duck, yes.
    Puffins? They do all three - land, sea and air.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    edited October 2022
    Does the entirety of a Lobby journalist’s job consist of listening at key holes and waiting around in corridors before saying something is unwise? It’s like being Jeeves.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

darkage said:

Mark Francois confirms there will be an ERG statement at midday. The ERG like to vote in a bloc, but have split over weekend with some prominent figures - Braverman, Baker - coming out for Sunak. Now Johnson out, will they agree on Sunak or split?

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1584486780853977088

Francois strikes me as an example of a low quality MP. I've never heard anything good from him.
    Why do we need an "ERG statement" ?
    It makes them feel important.
    Given the damp squib, they'd have been better keeping their mouths shut.
    A tough task for Francois, I know.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

I don't think I have recently. I remember an incident a few years ago at a garage. But not like this. I am slightly in shock.
    You obviously missed the French Presidential elections then.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

DougSeal said:

Is duck seafood?

An odd thing for a bishop publicly to advocate...
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    Eabhal said:

DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

Is duck seafood?

Bombay duck, yes.
    Never eaten a puffin TBF
  • Options

Driver said:

Roger said:

You can tell why Roger ended up doing shit ads rather than the big tv / film jobs....even in Hollywood the script needs to be a tiny bit believable.
    My ads aren't shit. I have been offered TV jobs many times but always said no. Good commercials are more fun. As for Films I've never fancied it. It involves being too proactive for my taste.
  • Options
    Driver said:

"Laws could disappear, lawyers warn".

Less opportunity for business?
    The opposite, more opportunities. If the laws go up in a puff of smoke as they get revoked en masse, it will be a field day for lawyers as we won't have replaced most of them.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

My ads aren't shit. I have been offered TV jobs many times but always said no. Good commercials are more fun. As for Films I've never fancied it. It involves being too proactive for my taste.
    The Boris Johnson of PB.....tv and films, too easy, would complete in seconds mate, so I gave other people a go and stuck to tampon ads instead.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    edited October 2022
    DougSeal said:

Eabhal said:

DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

Is duck seafood?

Bombay duck, yes.
    Never eaten a puffin TBF
    Dippers too (actually, you could make it five - add surface swimming and walking on the bottom).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    DougSeal said:

Eabhal said:

DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

Is duck seafood?

Bombay duck, yes.
    Never eaten a puffin TBF
    On the menu in Iceland, but...wifey wouldn't have sat at the same table if I'd ordered it. Think it was Clarkson that ordered it - and said it was bloody delicious....
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited October 2022
    Eabhal said:

DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

Is duck seafood?

Bombay duck, yes.
    I think Gannets count as sea food but they've all got flu so probably not recommended this year.

I believe there is a licenced collection on Sula Sgeir (which may be stopped).

I can't imagine they are good eating.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,802
    What would have happened if Johnson hadn’t caused all this drama .

Sunak against Mordaunt going to the members I would have thought . Without the oaf I’d have thought her campaign could have picked up some momentum .

Would Braverman had stood to hoover up the nutjob vote ?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    edited October 2022

How long before the next council elections? Now the Clown and his spawn is no more, I am looking forward to putting to putting an X in the box marked Conservative. I know I am unlikely on my own to reverse the odds-on certainty of a Labour/public sector government, but every little helps!

Slightly optimistic re the spawn bit, about as optimistic as someone who, after putting a stake through Dracula, observes uncomprehendingly a hearse galloping up the road to Whitby.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Slightly optimistic re the spawn bit, about as optimistic as someone who, after putting a stake through Dracula, observes uncomprehendingly a hearse galloping up the road to Whitby.
    Lol
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    Ishmael_Z said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

maxh said:

kyf_100 said:

Heathener said:

Unpopular this may be but we NEED immigration. Brexit and covid drove away workers who helped our country function. Right now there's a labour shortage.

It goes deeper than that. Whatever some nasty white Brits might like to believe, this country has been an island nation with an outward facing attitude. For good or ill we have been a global nation, not an insular one. This country has benefitted phenomenally from the rich legacy of that outlook, right down to having our first Asian heritage Prime Minister.

I celebrate that fact. We all should.

The reason immigration is unpopular isn't the "furriners", it's the infrastructure.

Yes, you're right. Britain needs immigration, we're an ageing population and we need young people to wipe bottoms, and we need people to do the jobs us Brits are either too lazy or feckless or simply think it's beneath us to do.

The problem is we also need the infrastructure support that immigration. We need new houses built. New schools. New hospitals. People see expanding class sizes, inability to get a GP's appointment for weeks, rents going up and up and semi-correctly diagnose immigration as the
    problem. The problem isn't the immigration,
    it's the lack of infrastructure to keep up with immigration.
    Can’t speak for the rest of it, but immigration isn’t the cause of increasing class sizes. Funding not keeping pace with costs is the cause.
    Far too many people in the country is the problem.
    Large parts of the country are empty. There is plenty of room.
    Especially in Malcolm's part of the world! But even in England too.

Restricting house-building and infrastructure development in general is the problem. Open immigration should be the policy, but combined with open construction, unfortunately the potentially sane pro-migration parties like the Lib Dems tend to whore themselves out to attract NIMBY voters.
    They have never attempted to build infrastructure or jobs etc where the space is though, they prefer to keep all that for their shooting. Apart from afew big towns once north of Stirling their is not the infrastructure or jobs to support anything other than a bit of tourism.
    They don't even have a dual carriagewy to Aberdeen and between Glasgow and Edinburgh they don't have a real motorway , just a dual carriageway.
    I can't think of anywhere else as highlandy as the highlands which isn't basically a wilderness, till you get as far E and S as Nepal. Geography is your enemy, not the English.
    It was not short of people many moons ago , but there is no effort to put infrstructure or any kind of support there to encourage the few locals to remain or increase the population. That is a Westminster responsibility , they favour London , certainly not your average English person's fault many of them retire there. Down to shit government.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250
    Endillion said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Jonathan said:

Rishi is walking into a trap by avoiding a leadership vote. He will struggle with a reputation as a technocrat regardless. Dodging an election will not help that and will dog his premiership. He will be better if is Mordaunt gets her numbers and triggers a vote.

A vote by 180,000 self selecting octagenarian Tory Members just draws attention to the historical absurdity that got us to where we are. Moreso when we're shown these members deliberating in pubs throughout the shires in quite misleading vox pops

A vote by the 310 elected Tory MPs sthough not perfect appears much more legitimate.
    For a politician who with struggle with a technocratic global-elite persona, avoiding a vote is a risk IMO.
    I don't think the public take a mandate from Tory party members seriously. Not for being prime minister anyway.
    Yes. Tory MPs claiming that are being disingenuous suggesting it would be treated like a public mandate.
    Lol. What's actually happening is that most Tory MPs (other than the usual suspects) are totally fine with this, and instead it's Labour MPs* arguing that the Conservative party membership vote confers some sort of mandate**.

* eg: https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1584431842471530496?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

** it can't be the MPs vote, since Sunak already won that one the last time round
    Which bit of the tweet:

"Tory MPs are set to hand Rishi Sunak the keys to No 10 without him saying a single word about how he’d govern.

Little wonder he’s dodging scrutiny: he’s so dire that just a few weeks ago he was trounced by Liz Truss. 🥬

No mandate. No one voted for this.
    #GeneralElectionNow"

is an argument that the Conservative party membership vote confers some sort of mandate?

Especially since Angela Rayner has been calling for a general election for some time.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Prediction: there won’t be a GE until 2024

Leondamus has spoken.

You have all been warned. Bet on 2023 accordingly. :smiley:
    You’re wrong. After all this dispiritingly bad - if entertaining - pantomime, voters will crave stability. Sunak has a reassuring persona. He’ll do OK. He is happily married without the whiff of scandal. He doesn’t even drink (a bad sign to my mind, but that’s my mind)

A grey man for grey times, but with more charm than Starmer

The clamour for a GE will subside and even if it doesn’t the Tories have a large majority and will take this to the wire in the hope of a polling/economic recovery
    The John Major of our time, you mean?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

No, it has been a triumph. Bozo has been humiliated for a second time. I loved last night, and am particularly loving the fact that he had to lie about the number of MPs that backed him, and that no-one, even the most supremely gullible (has anyone asked HYUFD?), think there is the tiniest chance he is telling the truth

hahahahahahaha
    People saying that Boris and Guido weren't telling the whole truth is one of the best things to come out of the last week.

Long may it continue.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

hahahahahahaha
    People saying that Boris and Guido weren't telling the whole truth is one of the best things to come out of the last week.

Long may it continue.
    Do you think that is a revelation to some people?
  • Options
    Do we still tell the Blog when we get things like covid boosters? I've booked mine but I don't want to make anything of it if we don't do that anymore.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Urquhart, poor writing and utterly ****ing the lore with the deranged retcon bullshit Chibnall pulled has the effect not only of pissing off viewers but also undermining the show a lot.

I tend to watch the first few episodes of a new Doctor. Last couple of times I stopped then due to poor writing. Not bothering until and unless they undo the insanity of Chibnall's 'backstory fan-fiction'. Changing the Doctor from someone who is good because he does good (notably flunked out of the Academy and was a low level criminal) into Space Jesus who is special because she has always been special is a terrible message to the children who should be watching this most versatile of sci-fi shows.

Oddly, it's akin to both Rey and the remade (live action) Mulan. Inherent awesometasticity does not a compelling character make.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    malcolmg said:

Ishmael_Z said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

maxh said:

kyf_100 said:

Heathener said:

Unpopular this may be but we NEED immigration. Brexit and covid drove away workers who helped our country function. Right now there's a labour shortage.

It goes deeper than that. Whatever some nasty white Brits might like to believe, this country has been an island nation with an outward facing attitude. For good or ill we have been a global nation, not an insular one. This country has benefitted phenomenally from the rich legacy of that outlook, right down to having our first Asian heritage Prime Minister.

The reason immigration is unpopular isn't the "furriners", it's the infrastructure.

Yes, you're right. Britain needs immigration, we're an ageing population and we need young people to wipe bottoms, and we need people to do the jobs us Brits are either too lazy or feckless or simply think it's beneath us to do.

The problem is we also need the infrastructure support that immigration. We need new houses built. New schools. New hospitals. People see expanding class sizes, inability to get a GP's appointment for weeks, rents going up and up and semi-correctly diagnose immigration as the
    Can’t speak for the rest of it, but immigration isn’t the cause of increasing class sizes. Funding not keeping pace with costs is the cause.

Restricting house-building and infrastructure development in general is the problem. Open immigration should be the policy, but combined with open construction, unfortunately the potentially sane pro-migration parties like the Lib Dems tend to whore themselves out to attract NIMBY voters.
    They have never attempted to build infrastructure or jobs etc where the space is though, they prefer to keep all that for their shooting. Apart from afew big towns once north of Stirling their is not the infrastructure or jobs to support anything other than a bit of tourism.
    They don't even have a dual carriagewy to Aberdeen and between Glasgow and Edinburgh they don't have a real motorway , just a dual carriageway.
    I can't think of anywhere else as highlandy as the highlands which isn't basically a wilderness, till you get as far E and S as Nepal. Geography is your enemy, not the English.
    It was not short of people many moons ago , but there is no effort to put infrstructure or any kind of support there to encourage the few locals to remain or increase the population. That is a Westminster responsibility , they favour London , certainly not your average English person's fault many of them retire there. Down to shit government.
    It is considered not nice to develop in the countryside. Stacking people in towns is the preferred policy.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173

DougSeal said:

Eabhal said:

DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

Is duck seafood?

Bombay duck, yes.
    Never eaten a puffin TBF
    On the menu in Iceland, but...wifey wouldn't have sat at the same table if I'd ordered it. Think it was Clarkson that ordered it - and said it was bloody delicious....
    Interesting! But I have never shopped at Iceland- or Farm Foods.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942

NEW THREAD

as real as BoZo's 100 nominations...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Ishmael_Z said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

maxh said:

kyf_100 said:

Heathener said:

Highland NIMBYs are the main reason for lack of population in the Highlands.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

DougSeal said:

Is duck seafood?

Well, it can smell that way.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited October 2022
    Re; the ethnicity and prime ministership, this is actually a significant moment. I don't see minority candidates becoming prime minister in most other European countries anytime soon. So although Britain has fallen socially behind from some, or many, other points of view, from this very important point of view , of inclusion and tolerance, it's still actually ahead of most of its European peers.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

hahahahahahaha

Long may it continue.
    Do you think that is a revelation to some people?
    Not everyone is as wise as you, Nigel.

There has been a chunk of Emperors New Clothes about both of them, and that spell has been broken in a significant way during this process. Not just children saying the King is naked, but serious grownups as well.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    edited October 2022

(Deleted - the deletion in question was later reversed)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    The logic is that PM wants FS but isn’t being offered it. If she gets the noms she’ll pull out later, I’m sure, but has the leverage to get the job she wants.

If she gets the missing ten noms (according to the campaign) in the next hour, backing her now and laying her in an hour’s time will make a good trading bet. But I’m not yet convinced she can make it
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    malcolmg said:

Ishmael_Z said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

maxh said:

kyf_100 said:

Heathener said:

Um, Ferries.
  • Options

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

The Boris Johnson of PB.....tv and films, too easy, would complete in seconds mate, so I gave other people a go and stuck to tampon ads instead.
    I mistakenly thought you had knowledge of the industry. I don't know why I did but its now clear you don't otherwise you wouldn't talk such nonsense. I've competed with well known film directors for commercials in countries all over the world. They all want to do them because they make more money for one commercial average three days than a six week TV series and thebudgets are miles bigger so you can be more imaginitive.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Miaow
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    I have got 146 PBers backing me, all of them anonymous.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Roger said:

Driver said:

Roger said:

Boris said he had 102 votes yesterday too mate.
  • Options

CoE - Hunt
    HO - Gove
    FCO - Tugendhat/Javid

Hopefully Michael Green will go back to transport – he's the only politician in three decades to have the cojones to finally rid us of the risible rail franchising system. There's much work to do on Great British Rail however – but at least he has binned off the ludicrous privateers.
  • Options

Roger said:

Fair point about France, but why on Earth would he make up the mechanic story? It's unlike you to accuse people of lying for no reason.
  • Options

CoE - Hunt
    HO - Gove
    FCO - Tugendhat/Javid

Hopefully Michael Green will go back to transport – he's the only politician in three decades to have the cojones to finally rid us of the risible rail franchising system. There's much work to do on Great British Rail however – but at least he has binned off the ludicrous privateers.
    Nobody who put forward the IRP should be allowed to be involved in rail transport in any way whatsoever.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    DougSeal said:

Eabhal said:

DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

Is duck seafood?

Bombay duck, yes.
    Never eaten a puffin TBF
    I can eat several Penguins in one sitting if i can ppppick them up

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445

Re; the ethnicity and prime ministership, this is actually a significant moment. I don't see minority candidates becoming prime minister in most other European countries anytime soon. So although Britain has fallen socially behind from some, or many, other points of view, from this very important point of view , of inclusion and tolerance, it's still actually ahead of most of its European peers.

From which points of view has Britain fallen socially behind?
This discussion has been closed.