Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Penny for your thoughts – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Nigelb said:

Sounds like Team Mordaunt is deeply spilt right now. Dame Andrea Leadsom is urging her to fight on and try and get to 100, but other PM supporters are calling on her to end the contest today - pointing out with so many MPs behind Sunak, any victory would be pyrrhic.
    https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1584492937504702465

It won't be pyrrhic unless Sunak's supporters actually murder her (literally or figuratively), because she'll still be PM.

I assume what is meant is that she'd find it hard to unify the party, but the rules are the rules.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437
    If Penny is doing this all as an elaborate way of freezing out other contenders and clearing the path for Rishi and a cabinet post for her (which is what I’ve suspected all along) good job.

If she’s actually pratting about trying to go for this she’s being a Grade A Fool.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Pulpstar said:

I fear before long someone's going to go one stage further than the current XR protests and we'll start seeing great art, cultural artifacts and history of the last 1000+ years literally destroyed.
    I'd be very nervous if I was a curator in the British Museum or worked at the National gallery.

The suffragettes attacked actual art. Mildly rebuked, via Blast, by the Vorticists, IIRC.

(IIRC as in if I remember histsorically; I wasn't there at the beginning of the last century.)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Prediction: there won’t be a GE until 2024

Sunak will be a competent if uninspiring centrist, and grim domestic politics will be out-grimmed by even grimmer world politics. The appetite for profound political upheaval will be dulled. The Tories will unite under Sunak as he becomes their only possible chance of survival

Labour will still win in 24, but not by 30 points. Sunak will claw back support. He might even reduce Labour to NOM

When Leondamus speaks you’d better listen. There’s always surprises on the upside.

Poor guy - no millions of dead Brits from covid, no alien takeover, no Russian nuclear strike, Truss surprises hugely on the downside and is gone, Boris wasn't restored, not even any proof that China released covid deliberately....but sooner or later he must get one right!
    Don’t forget his ramping of What3Words, who, according to a PBer last week, are losing money hand over fist.
    To choose just one of those alleged predictions of mine, I never said “China released covid deliberately” I said “it came from the lab”

Et voila

“Pre-print:

Endonuclease fingerprint indicates a synthetic origin of SARS-CoV-2

A collaborative product by @VBruttel, @tony_vandongen, and myself.

Here's what we found:

biorxiv.org/cgi/content/sh…”

https://twitter.com/washburnealex/status/1583145276151189504?s=46&t=zQTb85yUB9K4Ug9nuIBk4w
    It didn't.

"Michael Worobey of the University of Arizona, who co-authored both papers, had previously called on the scientific community in a letter to be more open to the idea that the virus was the result of a lab leak.

But the findings moved him "to the point where now I also think it's just not plausible that this virus was introduced any other way than through the wildlife trade at the Wuhan market," he told reporters on a call about the findings.

Though previous investigation had centered on the live animal market, researchers wanted more evidence to determine it was really the progenitor of the outbreak, as opposed to an amplifier.

This required neighborhood-level study within Wuhan to be more certain the virus was "zoonotic" -- that it jumped from animals to people.

The first study's team used mapping tools to determine the location of the first 174 cases identified by the World Health Organization, finding 155 of them were in Wuhan.

Further, these cases clustered tightly around the market -- and some early patients with no recent history of visiting the market lived very close to it.

Mammals now known to be infectable with the virus -- including red foxes, hog badgers and raccoon dogs, were all sold live in the market, the team showed.

Two introductions to humans

They also tied positive samples from patients in early 2020 to the western portion of the market, which sold live or freshly butchered animals in late 2019.

The tightly confined early cases contrasted with how it radiated throughout the rest of the city by January and February, which the researchers confirmed by drilling into social media check-in data from the Weibo app.

"This tells us the virus was not circulating cryptically," Worobey said in a statement. "It really originated at that market and spread out from there."

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220726-pair-of-new-studies-point-to-natural-covid-origin
    Worobey has been almost completely debunked by other scientists

“Two recent publications appear to have bolstered the case for a natural origin connected to a “wet market” ….But critics counter that there are so many missing data about the epidemic’s initial days that this portrait may be inaccurate.”

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2022/10/22/a-new-paper-claims-sars-cov-2-bears-signs-of-genetic-engineering

Moreover the CIRCUMSTANTIAL evidence for lab leak just gets bigger

“china began stockpiling PPE months before Covid outbreak’
    China also started to buy up global PPE stocks in Europe, Australia and the US around the same time, experts say”

(A new timeline which, by the way, renders the market hypothesis irrelevant)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/10/08/china-began-stockpiling-ppe-months-covid-outbreak/

It came from the lab. There really isn’t a debate any more. Apart from a few diehard virologists who are desperate to defend their science - and not lose their funding
    All you've got "debunked by other scientists" while you happily post away from every conspiracy theorist that takes your fancy on the internet.

Every time someone posts something that says it didn't you come up with "debunked by other scientists", "pay of the Chinese" etc. etc. Just accept you might be mistaken as you so often are. Please. Like you were with Truss, Aliens etc etc. You're often wrong so you must be used to it by now
    Ok, how about Francois Balloux of UCL - who was excellently lucid on covid-the-disease. His response to this paper

“This is an important piece of work. To me, it looks solid both conceptually and methodologically. I was given advance warning and was able to replicate the key findings. To the best of my knowledge, I confirm the reported patterns are genuine”

“The distribution of restriction sites in SARS-CoV-2 is highly atypical when compared to related viruses in circulation, and far more in line with previous lab-engineered coronaviruses. This is a troubling finding, which requires scrutiny.”

“These findings are not 'final and dispositive', but they can't be ignored either. To me, this is by far the strongest piece of evidence to date against a simple scenario of strict zoonotic origin for SARS-CoV-2.””

“I anticipate Covid twitter will combust in an implosion of rage and fury over this preprint. In an ideal world, this is not what should happen.”

https://twitter.com/ballouxfrancois/status/1583165268930359297?s=46&t=zQTb85yUB9K4Ug9nuIBk4w
    Okay, if we're being credentialist, how about Professor Edward Holmes - ARC Australian Laureate Fellow at the University of Sydney, with concurrent Professorial appointments in the School of Life & Environmental Sciences and the School of Medical Sciences. Doubtless in your mind he's a member of the CCP but, anyway...

"The COVID ‘lab leak theory’ is dead
    Researchers have confirmed the virus came from a Wuhan wet market, writes Professor Eddie Holmes."

"...Despite political barriers and a salivating media, the evidence for a natural animal origin for SARS-CoV-2 has increased over the past two years. To deny it puts us all at risk..."

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/the-covid-lab-leak-theory-is-dead
    TBF, those who are 100% certain in either direction really have no basis for such a certainty.

There is as yet no completely convincing account of the pandemic virus origins, and there are respectable scientist on both sides of the debate. (Note, Professor Jeffrey Sachs isn't one of them; he's not even a scientist.)
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Pulpstar said:

I fear before long someone's going to go one stage further than the current XR protests and we'll start seeing great art, cultural artifacts and history of the last 1000+ years literally destroyed.
    I'd be very nervous if I was a curator in the British Museum or worked at the National gallery.

May I suggest they start with Tracey Emin’s bed? No one will notice a bit more detritus.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532

Xtrain said:

EPG said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

Rishi is walking into a trap by avoiding a leadership vote. He will struggle with a reputation as a technocrat regardless. Dodging an election will not help that and will dog his premiership. He will be better if is Mordaunt gets her numbers and triggers a vote.

Balls. Complaining that there is a democratic deficit if the ghastly Con membership is cheated of a vote, is like claiming a democratic deficit if the CEO of Geest unilaterally decides on the next president of Guatemala without consulting the board of directors.
    Sunak is literally the son-in-law of one of the world's wealthiest CEOs.
    Rishi Rich.
    Young, handsome and rich!
    What's not to like?
    He’s a Tory toerag.
    The handsome designation for Sunak confuses me a bit, I'll admit. Each to their own I suppose.
    My wife hates his side parting.
    Did she prefer the fringe candidates?
    Just another ‘hair today gone tomorrow’ politician.
    That's the bald truth.
    DearPB said:

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Sunak will be a competent if uninspiring centrist, and grim domestic politics will be out-grimmed by even grimmer world politics. The appetite for profound political upheaval will be dulled. The Tories will unite under Sunak as he becomes their only possible chance of survival

Labour will still win in 24, but not by 30 points. Sunak will claw back support. He might even reduce Labour to NOM

When Leondamus speaks you’d better listen. There’s always surprises on the upside.

Poor guy - no millions of dead Brits from covid, no alien takeover, no Russian nuclear strike, Truss surprises hugely on the downside and is gone, Boris wasn't restored, not even any proof that China released covid deliberately....but sooner or later he must get one right!
    Don’t forget his ramping of What3Words, who, according to a PBer last week, are losing money hand over fist.
    What was his ramping of W3W? I must have missed that.

That was a system always doomed to fail – it had a fatal flaw: if you miswrite or misspell a word (e.g. a homophone) you could end up on the other side of the city/world. Why would anyone think it was a workable idea?
    Are the words totally random or is there error checking built into their structure (or in similar ways that many computer science algorithms have been developed over the years)?

The obvious thing thing would be that the words together can be encoded into a binary form in a manner such that if the word is corrupted i.e. misspelled that an checksum algorithm fails.
    I'm not sure exactly how the algorithm works but as with so many things designed by tech bros who rarely leave their own bedroom, its dangerously flawed to the point where one cannot rely on it. Wiki tells me that Mountain Rescue England & Wales have counselled against using it – a fairly fatal blow I would have thought!
    Well, its a huge flaw if it doesn't have even basic checksum type error checking....a really clever system would not only notice a typo but also self correct say 1-2 letters being mistyped i.e. still now what the location was you actually meant.

That how huge parts of sending files over the internet work and these error checking algorithms are normally part of any decent undergraduate computer science course. And that is why naively I presumed that would be a fundamental part of any such attempt at simplification of location coordinates.
    Oh my god - if you all start that conversation again I might have to leave the site forever.

My house has the W3W location Expect Serene Waters (changed slightly while keeping the meaning) - which was amusing until the divorce.
    I am supposed to see blue oyster cult this week, but it seems to be in Colorado rather than Brum. What to do?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Would Boris be kicking himself if he thinks he is doing the expeditious thing not standing down so that he can live to fight another day, only to see Penny ignore all that now is not the time bollocks and become PM and remain so for the next 20 years.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    Er, no.

When Tucker Carlson says in a podcast he has "contempt" for the UK because of "about how much they hate themselves… and how they have destroyed themselves”, we should listen. People such as Tucker would normally be our friends. This is such a massive humiliation.

https://twitter.com/Rob_Kimbell/status/1584498452746027009

I'd much rather have our nutters, loony-tunes and n'ere do wells than yours, Mr Putin Carlson....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2022

Just Stop Oil protesters have targeted a King Charles waxwork at Madame Tussauds by defacing the statue with chocolate cake

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1584498468181377024

Media need to stop giving them sodding publicity. Media need to ignore them....and authorities leave them glued in place for a day or two and let them piss / shit themselves.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Nigelb said:

Sounds like Team Mordaunt is deeply spilt right now. Dame Andrea Leadsom is urging her to fight on and try and get to 100, but other PM supporters are calling on her to end the contest today - pointing out with so many MPs behind Sunak, any victory would be pyrrhic.

It won't be pyrrhic unless Sunak's supporters actually murder her (literally or figuratively), because she'll still be PM.

I assume what is meant is that she'd find it hard to unify the party, but the rules are the rules.
    When would the indicative vote be, tonight? If she could get beyond 150 votes then I think the party is in big trouble because neither candidate has a great mandate.
  • Options

Er, no.

When Tucker Carlson says in a podcast he has "contempt" for the UK because of "about how much they hate themselves… and how they have destroyed themselves”, we should listen. People such as Tucker would normally be our friends. This is such a massive humiliation.

I'd much rather have our nutters, loony-tunes and n'ere do wells than yours, Mr Putin Carlson....

Is this the same Tucker Carlson who was anti the west supporting Ukraine?
  • Options

Er, no.

Who is that fool?

Tucker Carlson represents the worst of the worst of America. He's even more vile than Trump himself. 🤮
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

To choose just one of those alleged predictions of mine, I never said “China released covid deliberately” I said “it came from the lab”

Et voila

“Pre-print:

Here's what we found:

https://twitter.com/washburnealex/status/1583145276151189504?s=46&t=zQTb85yUB9K4Ug9nuIBk4w
    It didn't.

"Michael Worobey of the University of Arizona, who co-authored both papers, had previously called on the scientific community in a letter to be more open to the idea that the virus was the result of a lab leak.

But the findings moved him "to the point where now I also think it's just not plausible that this virus was introduced any other way than through the wildlife trade at the Wuhan market," he told reporters on a call about the findings.

Though previous investigation had centered on the live animal market, researchers wanted more evidence to determine it was really the progenitor of the outbreak, as opposed to an amplifier.

This required neighborhood-level study within Wuhan to be more certain the virus was "zoonotic" -- that it jumped from animals to people.

The first study's team used mapping tools to determine the location of the first 174 cases identified by the World Health Organization, finding 155 of them were in Wuhan.

Further, these cases clustered tightly around the market -- and some early patients with no recent history of visiting the market lived very close to it.

Mammals now known to be infectable with the virus -- including red foxes, hog badgers and raccoon dogs, were all sold live in the market, the team showed.

They also tied positive samples from patients in early 2020 to the western portion of the market, which sold live or freshly butchered animals in late 2019.

The tightly confined early cases contrasted with how it radiated throughout the rest of the city by January and February, which the researchers confirmed by drilling into social media check-in data from the Weibo app.

"This tells us the virus was not circulating cryptically," Worobey said in a statement. "It really originated at that market and spread out from there."

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220726-pair-of-new-studies-point-to-natural-covid-origin

“Two recent publications appear to have bolstered the case for a natural origin connected to a “wet market” ….But critics counter that there are so many missing data about the epidemic’s initial days that this portrait may be inaccurate.”

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2022/10/22/a-new-paper-claims-sars-cov-2-bears-signs-of-genetic-engineering

China also started to buy up global PPE stocks in Europe, Australia and the US around the same time, experts say”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/10/08/china-began-stockpiling-ppe-months-covid-outbreak/

It came from the lab. There really isn’t a debate any more. Apart from a few diehard virologists who are desperate to defend their science - and not lose their funding
    All you've got "debunked by other scientists" while you happily post away from every conspiracy theorist that takes your fancy on the internet.

Every time someone posts something that says it didn't you come up with "debunked by other scientists", "pay of the Chinese" etc. etc. Just accept you might be mistaken as you so often are. Please. Like you were with Truss, Aliens etc etc. You're often wrong so you must be used to it by now
    Ok, how about Francois Balloux of UCL - who was excellently lucid on covid-the-disease. His response to this paper

“This is an important piece of work. To me, it looks solid both conceptually and methodologically. I was given advance warning and was able to replicate the key findings. To the best of my knowledge, I confirm the reported patterns are genuine”

“The distribution of restriction sites in SARS-CoV-2 is highly atypical when compared to related viruses in circulation, and far more in line with previous lab-engineered coronaviruses. This is a troubling finding, which requires scrutiny.”

“These findings are not 'final and dispositive', but they can't be ignored either. To me, this is by far the strongest piece of evidence to date against a simple scenario of strict zoonotic origin for SARS-CoV-2.””

“I anticipate Covid twitter will combust in an implosion of rage and fury over this preprint. In an ideal world, this is not what should happen.”

https://twitter.com/ballouxfrancois/status/1583165268930359297?s=46&t=zQTb85yUB9K4Ug9nuIBk4w
    Okay, if we're being credentialist, how about Professor Edward Holmes - ARC Australian Laureate Fellow at the University of Sydney, with concurrent Professorial appointments in the School of Life & Environmental Sciences and the School of Medical Sciences. Doubtless in your mind he's a member of the CCP but, anyway...

Researchers have confirmed the virus came from a Wuhan wet market, writes Professor Eddie Holmes."

"...Despite political barriers and a salivating media, the evidence for a natural animal origin for SARS-CoV-2 has increased over the past two years. To deny it puts us all at risk..."

TBF, those who are 100% certain in either direction really have no basis for such a certainty.
    Very many moons ago, when I studied science at University, one of the lecturers remarked that when he'd started studying chemistry he thought it was a mass of un-related facts. He later came to realise it is in fact a mass of unrelated theories...
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Mr. Pulpstar, I agree. The self-righteous iconoclast cretins will want to re-enact the deeds of the man, who shall not be named, who burnt down the Temple of Artemis (a wonder of the ancient world) to ensure his name lived forever.

Because they have a cause. And they're special.

It was probably the post H*******s rebuild which was a WOTW.
  • Options
    Sunak has over 50% of Conservative MPs now publicly declared for him.
  • Options

Just Stop Oil protesters have targeted a King Charles waxwork at Madame Tussauds by defacing the statue with chocolate cake

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1584498468181377024

Media need to stop giving them sodding publicity. Media need to ignore them....and authorities leave them glued in place for a day or two and let them piss / shit themselves.
    Volkswagen had the right idea:

A group of nine scientists have glued themselves to the floor of Volkswagen’s Autostadt facility in Germany to protest climate change.

Unfortunately for members of the ‘Scientific Rebellion’ activist group when it came time to close up for the night, VW locked the doors and switched off the lights and heating.

According to the protesters, the carmaker supported their right to protest but neglected to give them ‘a bowl to urinate and defecate in a decent manner while we are glued.’

https://metro.co.uk/2022/10/20/protestors-who-glued-themselves-to-volkswagens-floor-left-in-the-dark-17601987/
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    If PM strings this out until 5 to 2pm and then doesn't have the numbers, she can kiss goodbye to Cabinet I reckon.

If she folds now and accepts the country needs Sunak and needs him today then she can get her sweetie.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Et voila

“Pre-print:

Here's what we found:

It didn't.

There is as yet no completely convincing account of the pandemic virus origins, and there are respectable scientist on both sides of the debate. (Note, Professor Jeffrey Sachs isn't one of them; he's not even a scientist.)
    No it isn’t certain. And probably never will be now

But Ockham’s razor slices profoundly towards lab leak

“LONDON (AP) — When a World Health Organization-led team traveled to China earlier this year to investigate the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic, a top official said he was worried about safety standards at a laboratory close to the seafood market where the first human cases were detected, according to a documentary released Thursday by Danish television channel TV2.

The Wuhan branch of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention was handling coronaviruses “without potentially having the same level of expertise or safety or who knows,” Peter Ben Embarek said during a conference call in January, according to footage shown by TV2. “

https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-joe-biden-business-health-coronavirus-pandemic-986f0ff0f97af020de3b4eb3d76b23cd

One of the problems is that those who we would expect to provide answers - virologists, immunologists, bioscientists - are also those who are emotionally most committed to proving it did NOT come from the lab. Because that would be cognitively unbearable for them - and might end careers, or worse

20m people are dead, after all

I am content with my personal conclusion that it is 95% certain it came from the lab, by accident. I accept I will not persuade others on PB. And we can respectfully disagree

What is more interesting because more provable is the cover-up that came after. The crushing of the mere idea of lab leak. That definitely happened (recall Facebook and Twitter deleted anyone even mentioning the hypothesis). That is frightening
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    edited October 2022
    FWIW my reafing of Penny's actions is she has to play it up for now as were she to pull out with a pitiful 25 public names she doesnt warrant a big job. Rishi can just ignore any informal agreement if she shows no groundswell amongst MPs. She's trying to secure the foreign office
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Et voila

“Pre-print:

Here's what we found:

It didn't.

Lots of pandemics didn't start in a lab, indeed probably all. They start via the usual routes, either a human disease mutating and become more transmissable, or jumping from another species into man. we currently have a nasty avian flu in the UK. Its possible that an avian flu might become a serious human flu at some point.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

If she gets 100 (Which I doubt) and wins a members vote (Which I also don't see) the Tories will be utterly wrecked next GE.
    Are you expecting a serene two years under the Sunak-Hunt double act?

It's only the form of the electoral disaster that is at stake, the detail of how we get from here to a shattering defeat. The destination is no longer in doubt.

It's one of the least consequential leadership elections that I can remember. The Tory party are currently ungovernable. It matters little who is nominally in command of the rabble.
    I would suggest that is rather complacent

It is true that Labour are on course to win in 2024 but 2 years is a long time in politics

I would expect Rishi to introduce honesty, integrity, and decency into the conservative party and certainly reduce the likely labour lead

You may be right but politics is very unpredictable
    I think it's realistic about two factors.

1. The breach of trust that the Truss budget represents. It is right to compare it to Black Wednesday in terms of destroying the Tories reputation, receipt that it was so very much worse. Major and Clarke arguably did quite well for a few years up to 1997 - fat lot of good it did them.

2. Hard to believe, but today's Tory party is even more divided than they were in the mid-90s. The willingness to rally around the leader, and to do unpopular, but arguably sensible, things at their behest is not present. Sunak will do well to survive to the next election.

I used to caution those who thought Labour were on an inevitable glide-path to victory. I thought both Johnson, and Truss, had plausible routes to victory at the next GE. There are some improbable scenarios where Starmer destroys his own credibility before the next election, but otherwise the result is done. People don't forgive or forget economic meltdowns that easily.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    algarkirk said:

OllyT said:

You can feel Labour searching for the right attack lines on Sunak this morning, can't you?

They are worried.

I think for many of us we are suffering a little from euphoria that big dog has gone off with his tail between his legs.

Although polls will improve significantly that will be largely down to the fact that the recent 14% and 19% Tory figures were never going to last to a GE. Beyond that it is nowhere near plain sailing for Sunak or the Tories.

Before I would consider a switch I would want to see evidence that the interests of the country are being put first. I want to see cabinet members chosen on merit not because they appease some loony section of the party and membership.

If all we get for the next 2 years is more self-indulgent Tory infighting and incompetent ministers put in place to keep the ERG and members happy then Sunak deserves to lose.

We will know which route he has taken by this time next week but given the noises coming from the likes of Dories and Chope this morning I don't think Labour has too much to worry about for the time being. The Tories look incapable of uniting.
    Assuming Rishi gets it (97% chance currently with Smarkets) he has a couple of opportunities:

1) He can run the country intelligently and with seriousness for a change while being sure it can't be for more than two years

2) He can do this while having an outside chance of winning an election.

3) He could (especially if he decides he only has two years) indulge in honesty with the public about tax, spending, debt and borrowing, and the choices we really have, and as he has nothing to lose engage in answering questions intelligently and being worth listening to.

His outside chance of winning (10% chance?) involves being lucky (warm winter, Russians withdraw, inflation drops, gas price miracle, house prices don't crash) and creating the impression of having a government of greater competence than the Labour alternative. This has not been an option recently.

An unanswered question here is this: the Tories lost in 1997 by a landslide because of events in 1992. That was a different era. Could it be that in our current age polling and sentiment could change much more rapidly. Are we remembering less well and forgetting more quickly.

In answer to your closing para. I think 2024 is too close a time frame for people to have forgotten the chaos of the Truss/Johnson governments. Going forward Sunak could steady the ship along the lines you suggest (which would be good for us all) or he could be locked in never-ending battle with John Major's "bastards" egged on by Farage and Johnson from the sidelines.

I really believe the Tories need a spell out of government to decide in which direction they actually want to go. We have had 3 years now of self-indulgent navel gazing and infighting by the Tories while the country slides downhill. The time to do that is in opposition not while trying to run the country.

• Options
    Waiting for official news. But senior ERG members currently debating in the corridor. Seems clear there is some sort of split.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1584500672287756288
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    PaulSimon said:

My preference was Mordaunt, but I'm happy enough with Sunak. What I'm not happy about is Hunt staying on as Chancellor, but I accept it's inevitable in the short to medium term. I'm hoping he eventually flounces out when he gets bored of being Alistair Darling to Sunak's Gordon Brown.

Even if the melody is great this needs a lot of work.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Et voila

“Pre-print:

Here's what we found:

It didn't.

No it isn’t certain. And probably never will be now

But Ockham’s razor slices profoundly towards lab leak...
    Some light reading for you.

The Tyranny of Simple Explanations
    The history of science has been distorted by a longstanding conviction that correct theories about nature are always the most elegant ones.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/08/occams-razor/495332/
    ...it’s what Francis Crick was driving at when he warned that Occam’s razor (which he equated with advocating “simplicity and elegance”) might not be well suited to biology, where things can get very messy. While it’s true that “simple, elegant” theories have sometimes turned out to be wrong (a classical example being Alfred Kempe’s flawed 1879 proof of the “four-color theorem” in mathematics), it’s also true that simpler but less accurate theories can be more useful than complicated ones for clarifying the bare bones of an explanation. There’s no easy equation between simplicity and truth, and Crick’s caution about Occam’s razor just perpetuates misconceptions about its meaning and value.

The worst misuses, however, fixate on the idea that the razor can adjudicate between rival theories. I have found no single instance where it has served this purpose to settle a scientific debate. Worse still, the history of science is often distorted in attempts to argue that it has....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

If PM strings this out until 5 to 2pm and then doesn't have the numbers, she can kiss goodbye to Cabinet I reckon.

If she folds now and accepts the country needs Sunak and needs him today then she can get her sweetie.

LBC reckons she is trading for a top job
  • Options
    Oh feck - she will go to the vote then...

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    ·
    25s
    It is in Penny Mordaunt’s long term interest to say she is champion of members’ right to vote in the leadership election. But if she secures the support of a third or less of Tory MPs, she will be under enormous moral pressure from colleagues to pull out - and I assume she will
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Z, from memory, it was precisely because of the temple's fame that the fool arsonist destroyed it.

And welcome back. Just hedged the 4.5 tip you made a few weeks ago (at 4.5) on a Labour majority.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    IanB2 said:

Rishi should face her down, she's got a weaker hand than Boris ever had in this race.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited October 2022
    Mark Francois for ERG says as a group they have been unable to agree between themselves

ERG resolves they will unite behind whoever wins

They are neutral on both candidates
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

That was a system always doomed to fail – it had a fatal flaw: if you miswrite or misspell a word (e.g. a homophone) you could end up on the other side of the city/world. Why would anyone think it was a workable idea?

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Logic is not Sean’s area of strength.

Apart from being a superlative tosser, we’re still trying to identify his USPs
    DearPB said:

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Are the words totally random or is there error checking built into their structure (or in similar ways that many computer science algorithms have been developed over the years)?

The obvious thing thing would be that the words together can be encoded into a binary form in a manner such that if the word is corrupted i.e. misspelled that an checksum algorithm fails.
    I'm not sure exactly how the algorithm works but as with so many things designed by tech bros who rarely leave their own bedroom, its dangerously flawed to the point where one cannot rely on it. Wiki tells me that Mountain Rescue England & Wales have counselled against using it – a fairly fatal blow I would have thought!
    Well, its a huge flaw if it doesn't have even basic checksum type error checking....a really clever system would not only notice a typo but also self correct say 1-2 letters being mistyped i.e. still now what the location was you actually meant.

That how huge parts of sending files over the internet work and these error checking algorithms are normally part of any decent undergraduate computer science course. And that is why naively I presumed that would be a fundamental part of any such attempt at simplification of location coordinates.
    Oh my god - if you all start that conversation again I might have to leave the site forever.

My house has the W3W location Expect Serene Waters (changed slightly while keeping the meaning) - which was amusing until the divorce.
    The problems of error checking in this resemble those for the telegraph commercial codes of the 19th and early 20th cents. The aim there wasn’t really secrecy - but information densely. While protecting against errors.

The codes are long abandoned, and in most cases are no longer copyrighted.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    I'm just happy we have more lab leak stuff to keep Team Ivermectin occupied so they stop trying to solve the Ukraine War.
  • Options
    If Rishi caves and gives her one of the big offices of state then that would be a sign of real weakness from the start of his premiership.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

If you have nothing to offer as a trade surely it is begging for a top job?
  • Options
    Interesting stat:

Amazing fact that I've had to check three times, should Mr Sunak become Prime Minister, he will become the first Head of Government to represent a Yorkshire Constituency.

https://twitter.com/JackTindale/status/1584472906889064448
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Er, no.

Is this the same Tucker Carlson who was anti the west supporting Ukraine?
    He's become a polyp on Putin's lower intestine, he's crawled so far up....
  • Options

Waiting for official news. But senior ERG members currently debating in the corridor. Seems clear there is some sort of split.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1584500672287756288

Splitters!!!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    I have to say Sunak looked sharp and relaxed. Helps when you do a press conference with your own supporters there.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

Mark Francois for ERG says as a group they have been unable to agree between themselves

As is if their credibility needed any more knocking
  • Options
    Prof Edward Holmes, by the way - who is so dismissive of the lab leak hypothesis - is this guy:

He’s also this guy:

“Edward Holmes on being asked why they didn't release the SARS-CoV-2 genome when they got it: "...essentially there were instructions that there's no publicizing the outbreak, so we kept it to ourselves, we told the key people in China..but we were told not to release the data..."

https://twitter.com/theseeker268/status/1380600964218974209?s=46&t=zQTb85yUB9K4Ug9nuIBk4w

So he’s totally reliable. Not
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    ·
    25s
    It is in Penny Mordaunt’s long term interest to say she is champion of members’ right to vote in the leadership election. But if she secures the support of a third or less of Tory MPs, she will be under enormous moral pressure from colleagues to pull out - and I assume she will

So in her world - the members override the constitution.

Were labour so inclined they could insist on formalizing everything within a written constitution so this type of disaster cannot occur again
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Well, I didn't see that coming. Second pleasant political surprise in as many days.
  • Options
    BREAK: Rishi Sunak did **not** commit to spending 3% GDP on defence spending in meeting with ERG this morning.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1584503502545768448
  • Options
    Chris Heaton-Harris has switched to Rishi.

Does he now think Rishi has got enough votes?
  • Options
    Under two hours until the 'why a visibly ethnic minority running the country isn't actually important or good because they're on the other team' articles start to drop.

https://twitter.com/DavidDPaxton/status/1584503604223754241
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Rishi should face her down, she's got a weaker hand than Boris ever had in this race.
    The whole Mordaunt thing is largely fluff imo. Sunak can give her a cabinet job but it doesn't have to be a big one.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    eek said:

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    ·
    25s

So in her world - the members override the constitution.

Were labour so inclined they could insist on formalizing everything within a written constitution so this type of disaster cannot occur again
    Ultimately parliament is sovereign. You're never going to be able to avoid MPs feeling pressure from the outside though. Be it party members, the press or corporate lobbyists. What is absurd is the idea that someone who wins a vote with the party membership is ENTITLED to be Prime minister.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,968
    Good news for Mordaunt. She’s now up to 27 backers. Only needs another 73 before 2pm.
  • Options

BREAK: Rishi Sunak did **not** commit to spending 3% GDP on defence spending in meeting with ERG this morning.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1584503502545768448

Well thank goodness for that.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    Endillion said:

Well, I didn't see that coming. Second pleasant political surprise in as many days.
    He said: "We believe that we have one and potentially two extremely strong options to be leader of the Conservative Party but as a group we were unable to collectively endorse either candidate."
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

The whole Mordaunt thing is largely fluff imo. Sunak can give her a cabinet job but it doesn't have to be a big one.
    Brexit opportunities, I’d suggest.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Mark Francois of ERG: "we believe we have one and potentially two very strong candidates

Oh sod off ERG...

There are only enough votes for one very strong candidate to potentially face Rishi.

But ERG has the votes to show that they can block both.

That will show Rishi their power!!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If Rishi caves and gives her one of the big offices of state then that would be a sign of real weakness from the start of his premiership.

Assume you are referring to Mordaunt? If so, no. Proper strong leaders are not afraid of bringing competitors in as potential successors. It would be a demonstration of leadership and strength, not weakness. Weak leaders, eg. Johnson and Truss surround themselves with no-hopers and sycophants. We are living with the consequences of such weak leadership.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

She's a big beast in the party anyway. She would be expected to get a top job in the new cabinet. Why the need to angle for one?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DearPB said:

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

The problems of error checking in this resemble those for the telegraph commercial codes of the 19th and early 20th cents. The aim there wasn’t really secrecy - but information densely. While protecting against errors.

The fix is easy here - you add a fourth (checksum) word that can be displayed and used if required.

Because the issue here isn’t information density it’s validation of information quality and that means a secondary validation process can be worthwhile
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Good news for Mordaunt. She’s now up to 27 backers. Only needs another 73 before 2pm.

Worse attempt at a tilt than Leadsom.
    Not much better than Chishti
  • Options

Under two hours until the 'why a visibly ethnic minority running the country isn't actually important or good because they're on the other team' articles start to drop.

That's not long at all - so why not wait?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Doesn't it actually look better if Mordaunt fails to get the number of nominations, rather than just pulling out because of some deal done in private behind the scenes?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

She's a big beast in the party anyway. She would be expected to get a top job in the new cabinet. Why the need to angle for one?
    Is she - Truss didn’t exactly give her a big role, she gave her JRM’s old one
  • Options

The ERG have always been better at defining what they are against than what they are for.

Especially when it involves reality and compromise.
    Because 95% of them are thick as planks.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Assume you are referring to Mordaunt? If so, no. Proper strong leaders are not afraid of bringing competitors in as potential successors. It would be a demonstration of leadership and strength, not weakness. Weak leaders, eg. Johnson and Truss surround themselves with no-hopers and sycophants. We are living with the consequences of such weak leadership.
    Agreed and the Tory Party needs good communicators like Penny in visible roles for the hard sells that are coming down the line.

• Options
    Stocky said:

Endillion said:

He said: "We believe that we have one and potentially two extremely strong options to be leader of the Conservative Party but as a group we were unable to collectively endorse either candidate."
    Split between perennial schemers and those that are off to join Nigel
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Predicts the heavy odds-on shot of a 2024 GE and that the Cons will do better in it than their current historic lows.

Sober, unflashy, deeply dull punditry. New leaf and I like it - like it very much.
    I was replying to @Heathener who is adamant there will be a GE in 23. Can’t see it. No reason why it would happen (barring a Black Sean)

*lol - Black Sean is an autocorrect typo. I’ve kept it for fun as it is so bizarrely apt
    'Is it cos I is black Sean?'
  • Options

I'm just happy we have more lab leak stuff to keep Team Ivermectin occupied so they stop trying to solve the Ukraine War.

What even is this shite?

1 lab leak. Highly plausible theory. Not proven. But if it is ever proven: wow. Massive and important consequences

2. Ivermectin. A trivial theory which is probably total bollocks. Does anyone care anyway?

3. Trying to solve the Ukrainian war = really really important because if it goes wrong we could, literally, all die. We can argue how this solving is done but boy, it needs to be done

Yet to you these all can all be classed as “weird conspiratorial nonsense done by loons”

Which is itself a lunatic position. You’re an idiot
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Et voila

“Pre-print:

Here's what we found:

It didn't.

A lot wrong there. For one thing, I like my science to assert and deny things on the basis of whether they are true or false, not whether they "put us all at risk," and not to get all pathetically polemical about "salivating media." And he is not making any first hand claims, just "researchers have established."

There's some weird shit going on here. The fact of a lethal variant of a virus emerging on the doorstep of an institution which boasts of and glories in and publishes papers about manufacturing lethal variants of that particular virus looks from most angles a tad suspicious. The bien pensant want to avoid the obvious conclusion out of a fear of "conspiracy theories," a touching belief in the inherent goodness and honesty of our insect overlords, and a fear of being thought racist (inscrutable evil mandarin scientists).

Meaning they fall straight into a genuine racist trope, about "wet markets" where disgusting peasants sell live bats to each other to put in the shark fin soup. Thing is, a wet market as far as I can tell is just a market with butchers and fishmongers in it. There's one in Tavistock, and a couple of the supermarkets qualify too. What we don't have are 1. an institute of virology or 2. outbreaks of deadly diseases originating in the wet markets. funny, that.
  • Options
    I am very much hoping Dorries has the whip removed. I am sure a reason can be found.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,734
    So the ERG have named their conditions ! They really need to just fxck off.

The role of the ECJ isn’t a big problem for the people in NI but if no 10 obsess over this then they can own a trade war just at a time when the economy is hitting the buffers .
  • Options

Stocky said:

Endillion said:

Perhaps it really is a case of both candidates being Leavers and the ERG being ambivalent about which one wins out.
  • Options

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    ·
    25s

If she forces a vote now, with a large majority of MPs wanting Sunak, she would show herself unfit to be PM, IMO.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Agreed and the Tory Party needs good communicators like Penny in visible roles for the hard sells that are coming down the line.

She has 27 backers. This talk might be more realistic if she had 127.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Jonathan said:

Rishi is walking into a trap by avoiding a leadership vote. He will struggle with a reputation as a technocrat regardless. Dodging an election will not help that and will dog his premiership. He will be better if is Mordaunt gets her numbers and triggers a vote.

A vote by 180,000 self selecting octagenarian Tory Members just draws attention to the historical absurdity that got us to where we are. Moreso when we're shown these members deliberating in pubs throughout the shires in quite misleading vox pops

A vote by the 310 elected Tory MPs sthough not perfect appears much more legitimate.
    For a politician who with struggle with a technocratic global-elite persona, avoiding a vote is a risk IMO.
    I don't think the public take a mandate from Tory party members seriously. Not for being prime minister anyway.
    Yes. Tory MPs claiming that are being disingenuous suggesting it would be treated like a public mandate.
  • Options

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    17m
    Boris Johnson claimed to have 102 MPs backing him. But we were never shown the list.
    Penny Mordaunt now claiming to have 90 names. But, again, no evidence. Please can we see it?
  • Options
    eek said:

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DearPB said:

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

The fix is easy here - you add a fourth (checksum) word that can be displayed and used if required.

Because the issue here isn’t information density it’s validation of information quality and that means a secondary validation process can be worthwhile
    Or, ask your informant to move the 1.5 metres on average required, and give you another w3w location as soon as it changes.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Started already:

No, Sunak's potential crowning as PM is a not moment to celebrate diversity. If you think so then you've not really listened to his politics or the people they will hurt most. Few children or young POC will be inspired by a person working against their/their families' interests.

https://twitter.com/mirrordarren/status/1584462212046852098

“It’s only diversity if you think like me”.

• Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Endillion said:

Perhaps it really is a case of both candidates being Leavers and the ERG being ambivalent about which one wins out.
    I think its more that Francois has lost control of the ERG as a united group, they are now a much looser collective. The more prominent ERGers have made their own position very clear
  • Options
    edited October 2022

kinabalu said:

Started already:

No, Sunak's potential crowning as PM is a not moment to celebrate diversity. If you think so then you've not really listened to his politics or the people they will hurt most. Few children or young POC will be inspired by a person working against their/their families' interests.

This is a trap (for want of a better term) Labour must be incredibly careful not to fall into . I fully expect some to do so.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

darkage said:

Mark Francois confirms there will be an ERG statement at midday. The ERG like to vote in a bloc, but have split over weekend with some prominent figures - Braverman, Baker - coming out for Sunak. Now Johnson out, will they agree on Sunak or split?

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1584486780853977088

Francois strikes me as an example of a low quality MP. I've never heard anything good from him.
    Why do we need an "ERG statement" ?
    It makes them feel important.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Started already:

Now, about that poll saying 10% were effectively racist against Sunak....perhaps a proportion of that isn't coming from the sort of people you think.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Et voila

“Pre-print:

Here's what we found:

It didn't.

A lot wrong there. For one thing, I like my science to assert and deny things on the basis of whether they are true or false, not whether they "put us all at risk," and not to get all pathetically polemical about "salivating media." And he is not making any first hand claims, just "researchers have established."

There's some weird shit going on here. The fact of a lethal variant of a virus emerging on the doorstep of an institution which boasts of and glories in and publishes papers about manufacturing lethal variants of that particular virus looks from most angles a tad suspicious. The bien pensant want to avoid the obvious conclusion out of a fear of "conspiracy theories," a touching belief in the inherent goodness and honesty of our insect overlords, and a fear of being thought racist (inscrutable evil mandarin scientists).

Meaning they fall straight into a genuine racist trope, about "wet markets" where disgusting peasants sell live bats to each other to put in the shark fin soup. Thing is, a wet market as far as I can tell is just a market with butchers and fishmongers in it. There's one in Tavistock, and a couple of the supermarkets qualify too. What we don't have are 1. an institute of virology or 2. outbreaks of deadly diseases originating in the wet markets. funny, that.
    What Eddie Holmes really means is not “to deny the wet market hypothesis puts us all at risk” but “to deny the wet market hypothesis puts at risk my lucrative job with the Chinese Centre for Disease Control in Beijing”
  • Options

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    17m
    Boris Johnson claimed to have 102 MPs backing him. But we were never shown the list.
    Penny Mordaunt now claiming to have 90 names. But, again, no evidence. Please can we see it?

Dog eat my homework nomination list.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    What a mess. You have to love these Tories, can't event manage a stitch up cleanly. This is a plot GoT turned down for being too silly.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Particularly with the reaction against colonial displays element.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

The number of backers isn’t relevant to the fact that she is a good communicator and comes across as a relatively well-adjusted and decent human being. Which there is a significant lack of at the top of the Tory Party.

It will be a shame if she doesn’t get a decent role in the next government
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Not sure how B of a B she actually is. It rests on very little as far as I can see. Just a good performance in that extremely odd last but one leadership contest. In which she said virtually nothing and was just a kind of 'presence' that didn't turn off or offend. Maybe she'll grow into a formidable politician from here but she's way off that atm imo.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    I'm calling bullshit on Penny and laying her some more at 25s
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Started already:

That will be interesting news to a lot of companies who are interested in diversity. No point in having someone of colour as your CEO as they are therefore rich and don't count. They are de facto white people if they have money. All people of colour should make sure they are poor or else they have to self-declare themselves white.

This is how fucking stupid people are on the left.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

The number of backers isn’t relevant to the fact that she is a good communicator and comes across as a relatively well-adjusted and decent human being. Which there is a significant lack of at the top of the Tory Party.

It will be a shame if she doesn’t get a decent role in the next government
    Cabinet potentially. One of the big 3 (FS, HS, CH), no.
  • Options
    ERG member tells me “One big problem with Penny is that book she wrote. It’s a bit woke”.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1584506211785113600

“a bit”? By ERG standards??

Although she denies it now, Penny was a fully paid up TWAW member….
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242

Er, no.

Who is that fool?

Tucker Carlson represents the worst of the worst of America. He's even more vile than Trump himself. 🤮
    You appear to have misspelt Fucker Carlson.
  • Options
    IDS supports Sunak.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Jonathan said:

A vote by 180,000 self selecting octagenarian Tory Members just draws attention to the historical absurdity that got us to where we are. Moreso when we're shown these members deliberating in pubs throughout the shires in quite misleading vox pops

A vote by the 310 elected Tory MPs sthough not perfect appears much more legitimate.
    For a politician who with struggle with a technocratic global-elite persona, avoiding a vote is a risk IMO.
    I don't think the public take a mandate from Tory party members seriously. Not for being prime minister anyway.
    Yes. Tory MPs claiming that are being disingenuous suggesting it would be treated like a public mandate.
    Sunak has no mandate whether Tory members have a say or not. But he can build a public mandate by not running a circus and by delivering serious government for a change. The problem he faces is that most of what he has to do will be crushingly unpopular, AND he will face civil war from the Tory loons who hate other Tories more than they do Labour.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    Is duck seafood?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    IDS backs Rishi Sunak. Means he has a dozen of the most prominent Brexiteers in the party on board.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1584508140455763969
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Is duck seafood?

Bombay duck, yes.
This discussion has been closed.