Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Memo to Tory MPs and members thinking about backing Boris – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 425
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

This is very misleading, while 2/3 of the country may now hate Boris over 1/3 of the country still absolutely love him. He is like Trump or Bolsonaro or Berlusconi or indeed Corbyn or Melenchon, their supporters will turn out for them regardless but they also turn off the rest of the country who will also turn out to vote against them.

There is zero chance of the party falling to below 10% under Boris as there was under Truss, hence hypothetical polls already put the Tories on 34-36% if Boris comes back.

So Boris likely still gets a higher Conservative voteshare than Sunak or Mordaunt would and much higher than Truss did on the positive side for him. On the negative side though he also likely sees much higher anti Tory tactical voting from LD voters in Labour target seats and Labour voters in LD target seats as he is much more marmite than Rishi or Penny are

The tactical voting is the key point. Means Johnson might (though I doubt it) get more votes than Rishi but he would certainly save fewer seats.

Which I presume is why you are smart enough to be backing Mr Sunak.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Is it true that Johnson was making money giving a talk before putting his feet up with his wife in the Dominican Republic?

A week or two back, Boris picked up $150,000 for a speech in America. Almost inevitably, there have been questions about its propriety.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/12/boris-johnson-colorado-speech-questions-rules
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

MISSING - the #BorisorBust slogan seems to have disappeared today. I wonder which genius came up with that.

"I'm up for it", attributed to him by 'Duggers' was another typically crass, egocentric, piece of Johnsonianism.
    Thought it was "Dudders"? Or maybe I have that wrong. Sounds quite similar.

But which is it, Duggers or Dudders? Not massively important but we may as well get it nailed down.
    They both sound as though they have walked out of the pages of PG Wodehouse.

I see Old Dudders as Hon. Sec. at the Drones Club, perhaps charged with ensuring Barmy Fotheringay-Phipps & Co do not misuse the Drones Club snooker cues.

Whereas I see Duggers as one of the boon companions, famous for hanging the chef from the Drones Club Magnolia bush after an unsatisfactory steak and kidney pie was served up for his luncheon.
    Yep, same pond but very different fish. This is why I was keen to get the exact name clarified.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    So is it basically now a game of chicken between Boris and Mordaunt as to who blinks first and (maybe) delivers enough backers to the other?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,222
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nicola Sturgeon is best performing party leader, says UK-wide poll

Nicola Sturgeon has been the best performing political leader UK-wide during her handling of the Covid crisis, with 43 per cent approval, according to a new poll.

The First Minister proved more popular throughout the UK than Boris Johnson (37 per cent) and Labour leader Keir Starmer (40 per cent) in a poll of 2,003 Brits conducted by Opinium.

A Scottish breakdown shows 57 per cent (a +24 per cent rating) of people in Scotland approve of the way Ms Sturgeon is handling her role.

Mr Johnson's has an overall ratio of -7 per cent.

The poll also finds 65 per cent of people in Scotland disapprove of the way Boris Johnson has fulfilled his role as Prime Minister.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-best-performing-party-leader-says-uk-wide-poll-3091673

SNP still polling no higher than 45% however and Salmond waiting to stand Alba candidates across Scottish constituencies if Sturgeon again rules out UDI after the SC ruling.

Sunak also more popular in Scotland than Boris
    SNP still soaring high at approximately 45% while Scottish Tories are floundering sub-10%.

If Salmond stands Alba candidates across Scottish constituencies their membership will collapse (see James Kelly, formerly of this parish) and their vote will be infinitesimal.

Sunak is slightly less colossally unpopular in Scotland than The Oaf.

Fixed that for you.
    If the SC rule out an indyref2 without UK government approval and Sturgeon rules out UDI than Salmond could be Farage to Sturgeon's May and split the Nationalist vote, then allowing SLab to gain more SNP Westminster seats
    What chance an English court not ruling in England's favour...... ZERO
    English court? Surely not. Supreme Court of the United Kingdom. Last court for England, Wales, NI and Scotland.
    It is an English court , fudged to do down our legal system. Court of Session was and still should be the highest court in Scotland.
    4 out of the 5 judges in this case are English , and in my mind a kangaroo court.
    Your mind making it so doesnt mean it is so.

The case looks like a very technical legal dispute, hinging on precise definitions and procedural steps - yes the politics behind it all is bitter but i doubt sleep will be lost if they say 'this is not for us right now'.
    It is a treaty of union , so either party can leave, if not then Scotland is a colony, pretty simple.
    Who said you can’t leave? You have had referenda and voted to stay. Presumably you just want to keep asking until it’s yes.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,853
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nicola Sturgeon has been the best performing political leader UK-wide during her handling of the Covid crisis, with 43 per cent approval, according to a new poll.

The First Minister proved more popular throughout the UK than Boris Johnson (37 per cent) and Labour leader Keir Starmer (40 per cent) in a poll of 2,003 Brits conducted by Opinium.

A Scottish breakdown shows 57 per cent (a +24 per cent rating) of people in Scotland approve of the way Ms Sturgeon is handling her role.

The poll also finds 65 per cent of people in Scotland disapprove of the way Boris Johnson has fulfilled his role as Prime Minister.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-best-performing-party-leader-says-uk-wide-poll-3091673

SNP still polling no higher than 45% however and Salmond waiting to stand Alba candidates across Scottish constituencies if Sturgeon again rules out UDI after the SC ruling.

SNP still soaring high at approximately 45% while Scottish Tories are floundering sub-10%.

If Salmond stands Alba candidates across Scottish constituencies their membership will collapse (see James Kelly, formerly of this parish) and their vote will be infinitesimal.

Fixed that for you.
    If the SC rule out an indyref2 without UK government approval and Sturgeon rules out UDI than Salmond could be Farage to Sturgeon's May and split the Nationalist vote, then allowing SLab to gain more SNP Westminster seats
    If BritNats spent a fraction of the time they spend copying and pasting gobbledygook on thinking about how to make the Union less unpopular to Scottish voters then they might be in with a shout of saving it.
    Warning of the hard border between England and Scotland, rising cost of living, the loss of sterling as the currency etc as we Unionists do is most likely to turn Yes voters to No and shore up the No vote

However with multiple Unionist parties having multiple Nationalist parties under FPTP too evens things up

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/10/21/what-would-make-scots-change-their-mind-about-inde
    Cheat - you edited that after Malky pointed out your alarmist talk of a hard border between England and WAles. You're supposed to mark your posts as 'edited', you know, to avoid confusion.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

MISSING - the #BorisorBust slogan seems to have disappeared today. I wonder which genius came up with that.

"I'm up for it", attributed to him by 'Duggers' was another typically crass, egocentric, piece of Johnsonianism.
    Thought it was "Dudders"? Or maybe I have that wrong. Sounds quite similar.

But which is it, Duggers or Dudders? Not massively important but we may as well get it nailed down.
    They both sound as though they have walked out of the pages of PG Wodehouse.

I see Old Dudders as Hon. Sec. at the Drones Club, perhaps charged with ensuring Barmy Fotheringay-Phipps & Co do not misuse the Drones Club snooker cues.

Whereas I see Duggers as one of the boon companions, famous for hanging the chef from the Drones Club Magnolia bush after an unsatisfactory steak and kidney pie was served up for his luncheon.
    Yep, same pond but very different fish. This is why I was keen to get the exact name clarified.
    Given the earlier discussion about busts I did wonder if there had been some Freudian slips somewhere, or at least Freudian brassieres.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,180
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.
    The Supreme Court isn't an "English court". It is the final court of appeal for civil cases originating in any of the nations of he UK, and its current President, Lord Reed of Allermuir, is Scottish.
    Rubbish, it is a Westminster colonial stitch up. A token toom tabard makes no difference. Court of Session is the real highest court in Scotland and will be again when we are not a
    colony. Just need confirmation from the English SC that we are indeed a colony and can only do what England allows.
    You won’t listen because you don’t but anyway I’ll set you right. I’m expecting the Anglophobia/personal abuse that will result. But here we go.

The Claim of Right of 1689 specifically provided that an appeal from a civil law decision of the Court of Session would lie to the Parliament of Scotland. The House of Lords was a part of the parliament which replaced the Parliament of Scotland, and so provided a natural alternative and successor.

In 1781, in Bywater v Lord Advocate, the HoL
    accepted there had been no pre-Union criminal appeal to the Parliament of Scotland so they could not hear such appeals.

In 2009 the appeal jurisdiction of the U.K. Parliament, which had inherited that of the Parliament of Scotland, was transferred to the U.K. Supreme Court.

Anyway, there you go. It’s set out in this Edinburgh Uni paper. But you’ll dismiss this, as you always do, with some colourful, if tired, profanity.

https://www.pure.ed.ac.uk/ws/portalfiles/portal/13482020/FINAL_APPELLATE_JURISDICTION_IN.pdf

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,077
    Roger said:

Endillion said:

I like how the first diagram has "untrustworthy" listed at least three times, with different capitalisations.

"Buffoon" is in there four times, but some are typos. There are probably other examples.

Shouldn't the polling company have sanitised the data before releasing the results?

also 2 Pr**ks, 2 c*nts, a knob, a dick and a twat. could be the start of Monty Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief.
    'C*nt' was the same size as 'foot' which was surprising. Who'd think he was a foot?
    May be people who wanted to give him the boot?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2022
    Ooh, nicely catty from my MP, the delightful Nus Ghani:

Nus Ghani MP @Nus_Ghani

Both Penny & Rishi are credible candidates & a credit to the party.
    But we have tested the public’s patience enough. We need to unite & focus on delivery with integrity, professionalism & accountability. I’m backing Rishi- leave party division behind & focus on the country.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,487
    nico679 said:

Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson has told colleagues that neither Penny Mordaunt nor Rishi Sunak are prepared to do a deal

He's reached out to both

During their call Mordaunt suggested that *he* should drop out rather than her as she is the second preference for most of his supporters

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1584192488956252161

Oh poor thing ! Sounds all very desperate . The only deal he’s interested in is the one where he’s PM .
    I wonder what he offered Penny, and in turn, whether she offered him anything. I wonder if Sunak would offer him anything or if there's too much bad blood. Penny with Boris in tow would work for the members I suspect.
  • Options

Roger said:

Endillion said:

I like how the first diagram has "untrustworthy" listed at least three times, with different capitalisations.

"Buffoon" is in there four times, but some are typos. There are probably other examples.

Shouldn't the polling company have sanitised the data before releasing the results?

also 2 Pr**ks, 2 c*nts, a knob, a dick and a twat. could be the start of Monty Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief.
    'C*nt' was the same size as 'foot' which was surprising. Who'd think he was a foot?
    May be people who wanted to give him the boot?
    There is, actually, an entry for foot in the Urban Dictionary. I waver between that and a misread 'fool'.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,098
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.
    English court? Surely not. Supreme Court of the United Kingdom. Last court for England, Wales, NI and Scotland.
    It is an English court , fudged to do down our legal system. Court of Session was and still should be the highest court in Scotland.
    4 out of the 5 judges in this case are English , and in my mind a kangaroo court.

The case looks like a very technical legal dispute, hinging on precise definitions and procedural steps - yes the politics behind it all is bitter but i doubt sleep will be lost if they say 'this is not for us right now'.
    It is a treaty of union , so either party can leave, if not then Scotland is a colony, pretty simple.
    There's no mechanism for England to leave either.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,959

Dura_Ace said:
    The boat in that picture looks little more than a gussied up cross channel ferry. Not sure how that's £250m. Can't help thinking vast amounts spent and little to show is what you get when the MOD gets involved.
    Surely there must be some Russian oligarch's yacht we can seize and re-badge?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.
    The Supreme Court isn't an "English court". It is the final court of appeal for civil cases originating in any of the nations of he UK, and its current President, Lord Reed of Allermuir, is Scottish.
    Ack! You and your facts!

Ruining a perfectly serviceable oppression & betrayal narrative
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,064
    The reason they won't do a deal is they're both increasingly confident they won't have to.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1584197258899177472
  • Options
    Going to get dirty.....

Rishi Sunak will be dogged by partygate probe too, Boris Johnson tells backers
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

Who said you can’t leave? You have had referenda and voted to stay. Presumably you just want to keep asking until it’s yes.
    It is called democracy fcukwit. If the majority want a vote then they should be able to have one in a democratic country. It is not for arseholes like you to decide what I want and when I should be allowed to have it or not.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    IanB2 said:

Hunt needs to come out this evening or tomorrow morning and kill Johnson’s bid off. He should enjoy that, really.

Great if he did but my guess is that if he does he will save it for if it goes to a membership vote.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,098

Going to get dirty.....

Maybe Mordaunt is still in with a chance.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Going to get dirty.....

It's buulshit EDIT: I know it's a typo, but I like it...

Erm…The Privileges Committee is limited by the resolution of the Commons passed on 21st April. It doesn’t mention Rishi Sunak once. It refers to 4 statements from Johnson, and will consider whether those quotes were misleading, and whether he failed to correct the record when.
    https://twitter.com/craigprescott/status/1584116870508339200
    https://twitter.com/nadinedorries/status/1584096059621797888
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.
    Rubbish, it is a Westminster colonial stitch up. A token toom tabard makes no difference. Court of Session is the real highest court in Scotland and will be again when we are not a colony. Just need confirmation from the English SC that we are indeed a colony and can only do what England allows.
    The flaw in this argument is that it begs the question: Why not go to the Court of Session then?

I'm sure you'd find something offensive about that court too should decide they against it. I think you have far better arguments for indyref2 too than whining about the particular judges involved in a legal decision. We are the midst of a Tory civil war - enjoy it, and watch those Yes proportions grow.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nico679 said:

Not sure what Sunak promised Braverman but it’s bound to be something which delivers misery to someone given her nature however just seeing the fat oaf fxck off would be at least some consolation !

I doubt he promised her anything. When you’re in the lead and gathering momentum you don’t need to
    To a degree. He is going to win the MP ballot, assuming there is more than 1 candidate, but she could have been more of a wrecker or just kept quiet, whereas she went out of her way to help.
    It’s clear why she has behaved like she has - she’s judged Rishi will win and wants to trade her self-perceived “big beast” status for influence.

Less clear why he would commit to anything beyond sweet whispers
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,129

Interesting how many of those endorsing Johnson include lines about him having learned his lessons etc.

Huge vibes of "He's changed, Tracy... you didn't see how he was last night - bought me flowers, gave me a foot massage, everything... you don't see the gentle side of him I do..."

She says, sporting two black eyes....
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Desperate stuff.....

Boris Johnson has told his supporters that Rishi Sunak would be dogged by the 'partygate' probe too. Story by @camillahmturner

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1584196528637620224

Only one of them is being investigated for lying to Parliament.

Rats in a sack. Time for a general election.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I can't think of a more repulsive recent politician than Johnson. Possibly Trump but even that's a close run thing.

Boris is repulsive in a “eww, what did I just stand in?” type of way.

Trump is actively dangerous

I’d prefer Boris any day.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

Your arse they can have a vote any time they want as well, is your brain that addled given the amount of comment you spouted on leaving the EU. FFS at least try to pretend you are not totally ignorant. England wanted out and voted on it, Scotland did not but were dragged out anyway. It is a treaty same as we chucked with EU.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Going to get dirty.....

It's buulshit EDIT: I know it's a typo, but I like it...

Erm…The Privileges Committee is limited by the resolution of the Commons passed on 21st April. It doesn’t mention Rishi Sunak once. It refers to 4 statements from Johnson, and will consider whether those quotes were misleading, and whether he failed to correct the record when.
    https://twitter.com/craigprescott/status/1584116870508339200
    https://twitter.com/nadinedorries/status/1584096059621797888
    Doesn't mean it has to be the official inquiry into lying to parliament. Just like Big Dom had dirt to dish, perhaps Boris might try to claim that Sunak wasn't just having a slip on his can of coke during his birthday party as his only breach of the rules. The difference is I imagine is that Boris won't have kept receipts in the way Big Dom did.

Its obvious classic mafia boss tactics, would be a terrible shame if your lovely shop front had a mishap. We do know that Boris can be extremely unpleasant to those who have crossed him.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.
    Rubbish, it is a Westminster colonial stitch up. A token toom tabard makes no difference. Court of Session is the real highest court in Scotland and will be again when we are not a colony. Just need confirmation from the English SC that we are indeed a colony and can only do what England allows.
    The flaw in this argument is that it begs the question: Why not go to the Court of Session then?

I'm sure you'd find something offensive about that court too should decide they against it. I think you have far better arguments for indyref2 too than whining about the particular judges involved in a legal decision. We are the midst of a Tory civil war - enjoy it, and watch those Yes proportions grow.
    Also - the more Nats go on about judges, the more they sound like rabid Brexiteers. There are enough uncomfortable similarities between the two campaigns as it is.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

It is called democracy fcukwit. If the majority want a vote then they should be able to have one in a democratic country. It is not for arseholes like you to decide what I want and when I should be allowed to have it or not.
    No need to be personally abusive. I absolutely support self determination, and if Scots vote for it, so be it. I suspect rUK will be better off, and Scots will find out, like the U.K. has, that unicorns don’t exist.
    I simply think that the 2016 vote was once in a generation, and 8 years isn’t a generation. Fair enough if there is a large groundswell for a new referendum, it will happen. That is not the case right now.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,312
    dixiedean said:

If the plan was for Truss to win and Johnson to ride to the rescue then the only flaw was that it worked too well.
    Six months time and I reckon he'd have won.

Like his plan to narrowly lose the Brexit referendum, his clever plans have a habit of overshooting
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.
    Rubbish, it is a Westminster colonial stitch up. A token toom tabard makes no difference. Court of Session is the real highest court in Scotland and will be again when we are not a
    colony. Just need confirmation from the English SC that we are indeed a colony and can only do what England allows.
    You won’t listen because you don’t but anyway I’ll set you right. I’m expecting the Anglophobia/personal abuse that will result. But here we go.

The Claim of Right of 1689 specifically provided that an appeal from a civil law decision of the Court of Session would lie to the Parliament of Scotland. The House of Lords was a part of the parliament which replaced the Parliament of Scotland, and so provided a natural alternative and successor.

accepted there had been no pre-Union criminal appeal to the Parliament of Scotland so they could not hear such appeals.

In 2009 the appeal jurisdiction of the U.K. Parliament, which had inherited that of the Parliament of Scotland, was transferred to the U.K. Supreme Court.

Anyway, there you go. It’s set out in this Edinburgh Uni paper. But you’ll dismiss this, as you always do, with some colourful, if tired, profanity.

https://www.pure.ed.ac.uk/ws/portalfiles/portal/13482020/FINAL_APPELLATE_JURISDICTION_IN.pdf

You flatter yourself. Why am I not surprised that English unionists decided in 2009 to break the Treaty. Who in Scotland voted for that smarty pants.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson has told colleagues that neither Penny Mordaunt nor Rishi Sunak are prepared to do a deal

He's reached out to both

During their call Mordaunt suggested that *he* should drop out rather than her as she is the second preference for most of his supporters

Oh poor thing ! Sounds all very desperate . The only deal he’s interested in is the one where he’s PM .
    I wonder what he offered Penny, and in turn, whether she offered him anything. I wonder if Sunak would offer him anything or if there's too much bad blood. Penny with Boris in tow would work for the members I suspect.
    "Penny with Boris in tow" ... you do come up with them.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    Scott_xP said:

He's reached out to both

I wondered how he phrased it when he was telling his colleagues.

"You know you came out publicly to support me despite the fact that it might damage your prospects if Sunak won? Well, I've tried to do a deal to let him win in return for a job for me, but he's refused."

They must have been so sympathetic.
  • Options

Meanwhile the rugby league World Cup soldiers on; this afternoon those two traditional centres of the game, Lebanon and Ireland.
    I think it is finding a few new supporters. Anyway much more of a free flowing game than Union.

I have never understood those who say league is more free flowing than union. Tackle, shag the ground for three seconds, roll ball back under foot. Repeat. No variety. No complexity. Union is just a much better game. Played right, with quick ruck ball or better, ball out of the tackle, union is superb, but also has the contrast of trials of strength at scrum and maul, and the technical challenge of line out. Union has an issue with scrums getting reset, but otherwise it’s fine.
    Don't come from a rugby background and never played it. Can't watch Rugby Union - very boring. Can watch Rugby League - often very entertaining. Always struck me Rugby Union is great to play but dire to watch. Get rid of scrums and line-outs and I'll give it another look.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

They went there because they don't really want a referendum and are confident the English court will throw it out.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,573
    Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

The Scotland Act requires going to the SC for adjudication on the matter.

The idea of course that the SC of the UK is somehow an English conspiracy with a bias against Scotland is of course nonsense.

They will almost certainly find against the SNP/Scottish government on a simple reading of the words in the relevant stature. It's a reserved matter. Full stop.

As Nicola also wants that outcome (it gives her someone to blame) we should lose no sleeop over it.

If the Scots case should win (just possible if the SC is feeling eccentric), the outcome will be fascinating, and not without its comic side. It is possible it could end Sturgeon's career.

• Options

Desperate stuff.....

Boris Johnson has told his supporters that Rishi Sunak would be dogged by the 'partygate' probe too. Story by @camillahmturner

I don't think Boris or his backers had cottoned on to just how much the upcoming Committee of Privileges report has holed him under the waterline. Even if you say there is a one in four chance that he gets hammered by it - is that a risk you are prepared to take, to put the country through all this AGAIN?

And there will be gossip/knifing saying that it is far more likely than 1 in 4.

Not a risk the country can take, even if you think Boris is the answer for the Party's woes.

And the takeaway from this is that a significant number of MPs are putting country before Party.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,440
    I think it's over.

I think Boris saying he just had to get to 100 nominations and members would do the right thing earlier today has been fatal for him getting further MP support.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,215
    edited October 2022

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

Apart from English voters who make up 80% plus of the population and elect a similar proportion of members who make up the parliament of this unitary state voting for parties with it as a policy. Of course as with English devolution and parliaments and the like they’d rather do the victimy put upon thing.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

The most recent election suggests a likely vote to leave. On what basis should we refuse to test that? Compulsion is wrong.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.
    The Union continuing is not in England’s favour either. Shooting themselves in the foot has become their latest national hobby.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

No need to be personally abusive. I absolutely support self determination, and if Scots vote for it, so be it. I suspect rUK will be better off, and Scots will find out, like the U.K. has, that unicorns don’t exist.
    I simply think that the 2016 vote was once in a generation, and 8 years isn’t a generation. Fair enough if there is a large groundswell for a new referendum, it will happen. That is not the case right now.
    Got to make it interesting , nothing to beat a bit of abuse here and there. The once in a generation scam is a cracker, in politics 5 years is a generation even if it was relevant.
    rUK can be what they want , it is just crap that the ydecide how bad things are in Scotland and fact that the yare shit scared to have a referendum tends to bely their mince about us being skint. No democracy in the UK for sure, it is a banana republic.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

Apart from English voters who make up 80% plus of the population and elect a similar proportion of members who make up the parliament of this unitary state voting for parties with it as a policy. Of course as with English devolution and parliaments and the like they’d rather do the victimy put upon thing.
    Who would rather do the victimy put upon thing?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

The Scots had a chance to escape all this in 2014.

They bottled it.

So, I'm afraid you have to suck it up, malcy....
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

You flatter yourself. Why am I not surprised that English unionists decided in 2009 to break the Treaty. Who in Scotland voted for that smarty pants.
    They didn’t break the treaty. The treaty provided that courts in England would not hear cases justiciable in Westminster Hall (ie the modern High Court) but did not mention appeals to the Parliament of either country.

Even if they did so breach, it was part of the Labour manifesto in GE 2005, which Labour won in Scotland. So that’s when Scots voted for the Supreme Court.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

Who would rather do the victimy put upon thing?
    People who whine about devolution being ‘given’ to the provinces and the lack of an equivalent English parliament, not a small cohort, even on here.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,076
    edited October 2022
    Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

Given Sunak is more popular in Scotland than Truss and Johnson and Starmer is in turn more popular in Scotland than Sunak we may well now be at Peak Yes. Yes missed its chance after Brexit and PM Johnson assuming Sunak becomes PM next week
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

The Scots had a chance to escape all this in 2014.

They bottled it.

So, I'm afraid you have to suck it up, malcy....
    Will be more chances to come Mark, we will not be a colony forever , even if I don't see it.
  • Options

I'm looking forward to Nadhim Zahawi's no-doubt imminent tweet clarifying that, when he said Boris was a reformed man and had his backing, he really meant that he was #ReadyForRishi

I don't see it.

I posted earlier. Zahawi's career exists only a parasite on BoZo's

When the host dies, the parasite dies also
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,268

Desperate stuff.....

I don't think Boris or his backers had cottoned on to just how much the upcoming Committee of Privileges report has holed him under the waterline. Even if you say there is a one in four chance that he gets hammered by it - is that a risk you are prepared to take, to put the country through all this AGAIN?

Not a risk the country can take, even if you think Boris is the answer for the Party's woes.

And the takeaway from this is that a significant number of MPs are putting country before Party.
    Sunak is electorally the best bet anyhow.

Were the Labour Party to be overrun with Corbyn and his acolytes whilst Sunak was PM I would vote Conservative. If Johnson were PM, I'd take my chances on Corbyn.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

I agree that there is a flaw here - if there was a English majority in HoC for an English parliament, that would get passed straight away. While the same sort of constitutional change is denied to Scotland by HoC.

Fundamentally there should be a second independence referendum while the SNP/Greens continue to get these kind of vote shares. The only question is how frequently they should happen give A) The resources/energy for them B) The unidirectional nature of an in/out ref
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,012

Dura_Ace said:
    The boat in that picture looks little more than a gussied up cross channel ferry. Not sure how that's £250m. Can't help thinking vast amounts spent and little to show is what you get when the MOD gets involved.
    It was going to be very expensive because a) one off design and b) built in the UK.

I am fairly confident that the Navy won't get the £250m back in the budget to spend on something else.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Arse. The gods are punishing me for joining on a Sunak height gag earlier. Up on the exposed South Downs as a serious looking thunderstorm rolls in. Now is not a great moment to be 6’2.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.
    If BritNats spent a fraction of the time they spend copying and pasting gobbledygook on thinking about how to make the Union less unpopular to Scottish voters then they might be in with a shout of saving it.
    Warning of the hard border between England and Scotland, rising cost of living, the loss of sterling as the currency etc as we Unionists do is most likely to turn Yes voters to No and shore up the No vote

However with multiple Unionist parties having multiple Nationalist parties under FPTP too evens things up

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/10/21/what-would-make-scots-change-their-mind-about-inde
    Once again, zero thought on how to make the Union less unpopular to Scottish voters.

Fearmongering is the only tool in your box. You need some carrots.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

They went there because they don't really want a referendum and are confident the English court will throw it out.
    Haha, fair enough. How would you go about it? I presume you accept that the Catalonia route doesn't work?
  • Options
    I abstained at GE 2019. I should have taken my chances with Corbyn.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

I agree that there is a flaw here - if there was a English majority in HoC for an English parliament, that would get passed straight away. While the same sort of constitutional change is denied to Scotland by HoC.

Fundamentally there should be a second independence referendum while the SNP/Greens continue to get these kind of vote shares. The only question is how frequently they should happen give A) The resources/energy for them B) The unidirectional nature of an in/out ref
    Should be the same amount of times they win a mandate for it should they so wish. That is democracy. If more than 50% of Scottish politicians are for independence then they should be able to have a vote on it.
    UK is undemocratic.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:
    It was going to be very expensive because a) one off design and b) built in the UK.

I am fairly confident that the Navy won't get the £250m back in the budget to spend on something else.
    The £250 million seems quite cheap. £6 million per year. I suppose the issue is the RN personnel it would occupy?
  • Options
    My latest tic is making up lists of greatest living X (eg Englishmen, Yanks, Irish etc). Neal Ascherson is definitely in the top 10 Scots. Excellent interview with him in the Graun.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/oct/23/neal-ascherson-at-90-journalism-interview

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Jonathan said:

Arse. The gods are punishing me for joining on a Sunak height gag earlier. Up on the exposed South Downs as a serious looking thunderstorm rolls in. Now is not a great moment to be 6’2.

When your ice axe lights up blue and starts crackling...

The advice is to get away from your friends, get off the ridge, get into a small ball and stand on your rucksack. I ignored this and ran down as fast as I could.
  • Options
    If Sunak gets it, suppose Alistair Jack will be replaced. By who? Andrew Bowie I reckon

https://twitter.com/robdunsmore/status/1584179819192803329?s=46&t=jJsP6JpVvbViT_c5hjfUmQ
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

Given Sunak is more popular in Scotland than Truss and Johnson and Starmer is in turn more popular in Scotland than Sunak we may well now be at Peak Yes. Yes missed its chance after Brexit and PM Johnson assuming Sunak becomes PM next week
    Yes "missed its chance" after Brexit?

Did I miss a post 2016 Sindy referendum then? Must have! Sleepy me.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

Once again, zero thought on how to make the Union less unpopular to Scottish voters.

Fear mongering works because it is reality, Scottish independence means a hard border with England, spending cuts and tax rises because of the huge Scottish deficit and a weak currency.

Over 50% of Yes voters if you bothered to read the link say all that makes them more likely to vote No.

Fear mongering got No to 55% in 2014 and even Remain to 48% in 2016.

No will never beat Yes on emotion and nationalism, cold hard facts about the economic disaster Scottish independence would be are the key (plus maybe a bit more devomax)
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

Haha, fair enough. How would you go about it? I presume you accept that the Catalonia route doesn't work?
    Catalonia is a part of Spain , not a country and so has no relevance. They should have a vote in Scotland and if the people want out tehy should start the plans for independence, International law states that any colony can make up their mind what they want to do nowadays. So either it is a treaty that can be cancelled or we are a colony. Bit like Russia claiming Ukranians are Russians.
  • Options
    Time to consider going all in on Rishi..

• Options
    Eabhal said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

The £250 million seems quite cheap. £6 million per year. I suppose the issue is the RN personnel it would occupy?
    And other running costs, all for a glorified shagbarge on the taxpayer's purse.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,268
    edited October 2022
    Dura_Ace said:
    Reason enough for Johnson to ignore Chancellor Hunt's calls.

So the choice is this: The bond markets crash or Alexander gets his vanity yacht. So vanity yacht it is then.
  • Options

Desperate stuff.....

They are - and great - but rather belatedly.
  • Options
    This from Johnson cheerleader. He’s struggling. If he can command only minimal support from the parliamentary Tory party, does it matter of he can win a majority among members in the country. See what George Osborne says on Andrew Neil Show tonight @Channel4 6.15pm.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1584202436579057665
    https://twitter.com/guidofawkes/status/1584201438301126664
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

And some sardines, given he originally put 'hard border between England and Wales' but won't admit it.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

Yes the UK government sensibly refused one
  • Options
    Ms Dorries is lucky journalists are distracted. The Culture Committee - cross party - has concluded she told us an entirely fabricated story. Misleading Select Committees is serious. I’ll be referring our report to Commons Privileges & Lords Appointments.

https://twitter.com/mrjohnnicolson/status/1584180001972228097?s=46&t=jJsP6JpVvbViT_c5hjfUmQ
  • Options

If Sunak gets it, suppose Alistair Jack will be replaced. By who? Andrew Bowie I reckon

https://twitter.com/robdunsmore/status/1584179819192803329?s=46&t=jJsP6JpVvbViT_c5hjfUmQ

Dear god they are able to find someone worse than Jack , unbelievable. That arsehole could not run a bath.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

Catalonia is a part of Spain , not a country and so has no relevance. They should have a vote in Scotland and if the people want out tehy should start the plans for independence, International law states that any colony can make up their mind what they want to do nowadays. So either it is a treaty that can be cancelled or we are a colony. Bit like Russia claiming Ukranians are Russians.
    Ño, if you were a colony Holyrood would be shut down, Scottish MPs expelled from Westminster and Sturgeon arrested for sedition and Rishi would send Liz Truss to be Governor General now she is free
  • Options

Looking on the optimistic side, it's now looking quite likely that Sunak becomes leader on Monday. Relief from the financial markets. Sunak to the palace Monday afternoon. I think he's well prepared, so cabinet appointments Monday evening. Calls first cabinet meeting Tuesday morning, at which Ben Wallace briefs ministers on Ukraine, and Hunt tells them the extent of the bad financial news. Sunak and Hunt then have almost a week to finesse the details of the 31st Oct financial statement and agree on the political presentation of it.

We might, just might, be getting to a situation where things can be stabilised amidst a return to sane government. Lots and lots of pitfalls, as well as pain, remain, of course, but maybe my piece of Friday was too pessimistic. Fingers crossed.

And, would we get you back Richard?

We miss you. Please come back.
    That's kind of you, but even though hopefully the party is going back towards some semblance of embracing sound public finances again, I don't think I'll be returning, or even voting Conservative, until the madness is fully expurgated. That would include things like::

- Nutjobs like JRM, Braverman etc consigned to the outer fringes or preferably gone altogether

- Boris gone completely, not hanging around destabilising things, and, even more important, the whole party accepting he was a disaster, and facing up to why they deliberately and knowingly went for that disaster

- A return to business-friendly, reality-based policies, including abandoning Brexit-purity lunacies such as reneging on the NIP and insisting on our own hugely expensive and damaging little-England regulatory regimes just for the sake of it

- A return to good relations with our EU friends, and moving towards dismantling the enormous heap of red tape they have created

- Abandonment of fantasy policies on immigration, such as the Rwanda lunacy

- Policies on welfare and healthcare which reflect the scale of the problems ordinary people face

I'd also like to see some serious evidence that the party is going back to its traditional respect for our public institutions and for integrity in public life,. Rishi's statement today was very encouraging in that respect, but we'll have to see if the party as a whole has changed.

Of course if Labour were to go all Corbynesque again, I might vote Conservative, but at the moment there's no need to, given that Labour, for all their many faults, are preferable on almost every measure except identity politics and possibly defence.
    Thanks. I am disappointed with your conclusion - and, quite frankly, I think many Conservatives would agree with your list of caveats - and I just hope you keep an open-mind.

I really don't think you're really that big a fan of Labour.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,990
    So. What about the Boris resignation honours list leading to 8 by elections dropping on Tuesday?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

Your arse they can have a vote any time they want as well, is your brain that addled given the amount of comment you spouted on leaving the EU. FFS at least try to pretend you are not totally ignorant. England wanted out and voted on it, Scotland did not but were dragged out anyway. It is a treaty same as we chucked with EU.
    The treaty was between the UK and the EU and the Uk decided to leave.

Scotland had previously voted to remain part of the UK
  • Options

Looking on the optimistic side, it's now looking quite likely that Sunak becomes leader on Monday. Relief from the financial markets. Sunak to the palace Monday afternoon. I think he's well prepared, so cabinet appointments Monday evening. Calls first cabinet meeting Tuesday morning, at which Ben Wallace briefs ministers on Ukraine, and Hunt tells them the extent of the bad financial news. Sunak and Hunt then have almost a week to finesse the details of the 31st Oct financial statement and agree on the political presentation of it.

We might, just might, be getting to a situation where things can be stabilised amidst a return to sane government. Lots and lots of pitfalls, as well as pain, remain, of course, but maybe my piece of Friday was too pessimistic. Fingers crossed.

And, would we get you back Richard?

We miss you. Please come back.
    That's kind of you, but even though hopefully the party is going back towards some semblance of embracing sound public finances again, I don't think I'll be returning, or even voting Conservative, until the madness is fully expurgated. That would include things like::

- Nutjobs like JRM, Braverman etc consigned to the outer fringes or preferably gone altogether

- Boris gone completely, not hanging around destabilising things, and, even more important, the whole party accepting he was a disaster, and facing up to why they deliberately and knowingly went for that disaster

- A return to business-friendly, reality-based policies, including abandoning Brexit-purity lunacies such as reneging on the NIP and insisting on our own hugely expensive and damaging little-England regulatory regimes just for the sake of it

- A return to good relations with our EU friends, and moving towards dismantling the enormous heap of red tape they have created

- Abandonment of fantasy policies on immigration, such as the Rwanda lunacy

- Policies on welfare and healthcare which reflect the scale of the problems ordinary people face

I'd also like to see some serious evidence that the party is going back to its traditional respect for our public institutions and for integrity in public life,. Rishi's statement today was very encouraging in that respect, but we'll have to see if the party as a whole has changed.

Of course if Labour were to go all Corbynesque again, I might vote Conservative, but at the moment there's no need to, given that Labour, for all their many faults, are preferable on almost every measure except identity politics and possibly defence.
    Thanks. I am disappointed with your conclusion - and, quite frankly, I think many Conservatives would agree with your list of caveats - and I just hope you keep an open-mind.

I really don't think you're really that big a fan of Labour.
    Intelligent enough to see through the Tories crap and has some morals and principles unlike many on here.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,012
    Eabhal said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

"£250 million" is just the default value that the MoD claim every ship is going to cost when they want to build it. T45 and Astute both started off at that magic number and ended up at £1 billion and £1.5 billion per hull.

The Type 31 frigate program has started over with clear eyed realism though with an estimate of £270 million.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

Fear mongering works because it is reality, Scottish independence means a hard border with England, spending cuts and tax rises because of the huge Scottish deficit and a weak currency.

Over 50% of Yes voters if you bothered to read the link say all that makes them more likely to vote No.

Fear mongering got No to 55% in 2014 and even Remain to 48% in 2016.

No will never beat Yes on emotion and nationalism, cold hard facts about the economic disaster Scottish independence would be are the key (plus maybe a bit more devomax)
    Or 50% of Scottish voters say that makes them more likely to vote No
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

So not quite "missed" its chance then. You have to be given a chance - as in 2014 - before you can miss it.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    edited October 2022
    Boris (or Team Boris) has run a terrible campaign, starting with those appalling photos.

Other poor decisions include leaving Zahawi and Cleverly announcements until too late, fake claims of having 100 supporters, not having a credible position on the Standards Committee, and his silly communications this morning.

He’s a busted flush.
    The turd is leaving the bowl.

Rishi will have an overwhelming mandate from his colleagues. I hope he uses it to expel total whoppers and chancers like Rees-Mogg, Zahawi, Cleverly from high office.

I recognise that he will - or should want to - represent all “factions” in Cabinet but he really must limit this to people of at least moderate competence.

If I had to include ERGers I would be looking at Steve Baker and even IDS over complete twits like Braverman.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The weather is utterly ghastly.

Hope you get inside very soon!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

So not quite "missed" its chance then. You have to be given a chance - as in 2014 - before you can miss it.
    Had the SNP got 62% of the vote in 2019 and 2021 ie the same percentage of Scots who voted Remain, indyref2 post Brexit may have been impossible for PM Boris to stop.

They failed to do so or even get over 50% at either election
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

The work being done in the UK was important. The unique design I don't get. Something floating with windows.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

The treaty was between the UK and the EU and the Uk decided to leave.

Scotland had previously voted to remain part of the UK
    Yes based on it being the only way to stay in the EU....DOH
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    OK, hands up, who started another argument over Scotland?

Meanwhile, the Graun carries a piece by ex-Labour MP Chris Mullin arguing the case for higher taxes to avoid public spending cuts. Fair enough, but his chosen remedy? Hike income tax. Christ, more shellacking of earnings whilst assets go untouched. And it's probably the sort of thing that Reeves will end up doing, because the grey vote will throw an epic tantrum if she touches property. I despair.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    Afternoon all :)

The Trussite age is over - this is the dawning of the age of Sunakism.

Apparently, as Boris Johnson begins to discover the mystique, the glamour, the "X" factor which he had in spades as Mayor of London and in the first days of becoming Prime Minister has deserted him.

Oddly enough, the fates have been quite capricious - eight years in a non-job and then three years working his way to the very top to be brought down by a microscopic virus and his own fundamental character flaws.

There seem to be those who presumably loathe Sunak with a healthy passion and see no future for themselves in his administration and those who still think Johnson can connect with the electorate in a way no other Conservative can. That was undeniably true once but too much water (or beer) has flowed under too many bridges for that to be the case.

There are those in the electorate who still love "good old Boris" and probably always will just as there are those who claim our last decent Prime Minister was Margaret Thatcher (no one ever says Blair or Cameron).

Sunak doesn't have Boris's charisma - he doesn't seem wholly comfortable with the electorate - and probably doesn't even have Starmer's in truth. Will he be able to allow his Chancellor to run economic policy or will he want to run it out of No.10? I see his new "friends" are pitching round trying to get jobs in the new era (as it ever was).

Those Conservatives with time on their side might consider what Sunak's future will be if the Party is comprehensively defeated at the next GE. Sunak himself will survive but will he want to stay on as LOTO? Seems implausible. Suella Braverman and Kemi Badenoch look well placed to survive all but the most extreme defeats and I suspect the next contest will be between them (not that, beyond it being a betting opportunity, anyone will care that much).
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Meanwhile, the Graun carries a piece by ex-Labour MP Chris Mullin arguing the case for higher taxes to avoid public spending cuts. Fair enough, but his chosen remedy? Hike income tax. Christ, more shellacking of earnings whilst assets go untouched. And it's probably the sort of thing that Reeves will end up doing, because the grey vote will throw an epic tantrum if she touches property. I despair.

It was Turbotubs
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

The work being done in the UK was important. The unique design I don't get. Something floating with windows.
    Every rich ***** has to have a different design of superyacht. So Mr Johnson wanted one too.
  • Options
    biggles said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

The most recent election suggests a likely vote to leave. On what basis should we refuse to test that? Compulsion is wrong.
    Not really. Voters choose parties for a number of reasons. You may not agree with every policy of the party you vote for. In fact I’d bet that most voters disagree with something in the manifestos of the party they vote for.
    The point is how often should such a crucial referendum be held? I accept that the Brexit vote muddied the waters re Scexit, but the question was asked in 2014 and the answer was no. It’s not even a decade later.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    pigeon said:

Mullin is an ex-MP, and was on the left even when he was an MP.

Please don’t follow the PB Tories into random whataboutery.
  • Options
    Pix of the day — Theresa May living her best life as she opens a chocolate shop in her constituency 🍬 https://twitter.com/DominicPenna/status/1584202221646118912/photo/1
  • Options

biggles said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fixed that for you.

Not really. Voters choose parties for a number of reasons. You may not agree with every policy of the party you vote for. In fact I’d bet that most voters disagree with something in the manifestos of the party they vote for.
    The point is how often should such a crucial referendum be held? I accept that the Brexit vote muddied the waters re Scexit, but the question was asked in 2014 and the answer was no. It’s not even a decade later.
    We don't want any of that democracy thingy here do we. You will just shutup and be told what to do by your betters.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Pleese sir, pleese sir, it was HYUFD began it. He sa that Mr Sunak being more popular than Mr Johnson in Scotland is a deeply meaningful and useful statement suitable for an intelligent website like this one.
This discussion has been closed.