Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The tectonic plates appear to be shifting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,046

It's possible the Truss interregnum will have done the Tories a favour in the long run by lessening the charge of betrayal against Sunak as well as subduing the people who weren't happy with his fiscal approach. He stands a better chance of uniting the party now than he would have done if he'd won the first time around.

Not sure how it lessens the charge of betrayal. He and his unsavoury parliamentary fanbase have now sabotaged two Prime Ministers in their avowed cause of 'stabilising the markets'.
    Point of order - the last two prime ministers entirely sabotaged themselves with absolutely no other help whatever
    Well, when it happens to him, it'll be just as nasty and brutal. You always lose things how you got them.
  • I actually think it is a hugely positive thing that a non-white or a woman being elected to some of the highest offices in the land doesn't actually really get much press focusing upon that these days.

I'm in a few Tory association WhatsApp groups, some Red Wall.

All the bile raised towards Sunak is all to do with the betrayal of Boris Johnson, not his skin colour.

We had four non white people in a row as Chancellor, skin colour hardly mentioned, all the focus was on policies.
    You're the one who raised it on this thread.
    Only to point out how nice it is for the country to repudiate Enoch Powell and have a non white PM.

99.99% of the electorate at the next general election will vote based on Sunak's record and policies, not his skin colour.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

If Sunak does become Prime Minister I'm really looking forward to the lefties moaning that Sunak really doesn't count as an ethnic minority.

Wrong type of darkie/superficially brown.

You should be more interested in whether Tory Racists will vote for a brown PM
    Even though I am ideologically opposed to Sunak's politics, If your comments are indicative of the wider Labour Party, I am inclined to vote Conservative just to piss off the left wing racists.

Starmer fans please explain.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,046

I actually think it is a hugely positive thing that a non-white or a woman being elected to some of the highest offices in the land doesn't actually really get much press focusing upon that these days.

All the bile raised towards Sunak is all to do with the betrayal of Boris Johnson, not his skin colour.

We had four non white people in a row as Chancellor, skin colour hardly mentioned, all the focus was on policies.
    Only to point out how nice it is for the country to repudiate Enoch Powell and have a non white PM.

99.99% of the electorate at the next general election will vote based on Sunak's record and policies, not his skin colour.
    That's a wonderful thing, and it shouldn't be overlooked. Just a shame it's him.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

I actually think it is a hugely positive thing that a non-white or a woman being elected to some of the highest offices in the land doesn't actually really get much press focusing upon that these days.

I couldn't give a toss about his skin colour.

I support Sunak because he's by far the best candidate.

We need to get beyond this.
    It's like when I got married to an English native, it was like whatever.
    An abo, from your POV.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,744
    Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

If Sunak does become Prime Minister I'm really looking forward to the lefties moaning that Sunak really doesn't count as an ethnic minority.

Will he get the all important Rupa Huq seal of authenticity?
    I would have thought she'd hate him given he's a Hindu.

Wouldn't that make him also the first PM to avow a religion other than Christianity?
    Indeed but Sunak went to Winchester, founded by the Bishop of Winchester and is more of a traditional Tory in background than Truss was
    To be a little more specific, it was founded by the 48th Bishop of Winchester. Not by Tim Dakin or whoever his successor is now he's been fired.
    There are 47 known BoWs before Willie Wykeham? Are you sure?
    No, because it's very uncertain whether some of them were Bishop or not, and also whether you count the bishops of Dorchester. But it had been going for over 700 years at that point, so it was at around the halfway stage of its existence. 47 doesn't seem far out.
    Wow.

Dorchester Dorset or Dorchester Oxon?
    Dorchester Oxon.

Which, confusingly, was also for some time in the 9th century the seats of the Bishops of what is now Lincoln.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Ishmael_Z said:

Heathener said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Heathener said:

NYT readers are going to be extremely confused that the racist UK led by the racist Tory party have elected Sunak....
    I've already written the PB thread if Sunak becomes PM.

'Enoch Powell was right, the darkies do now have the whip hand over white British people.'
    Why are you going on about race like this? I don't know anyone in my circles that would speak about things in these terms, let alone think them, except my friend who is a card carrying member of the Conservative Party.
    You have got think and speak back to front
    Yes you're probably right although I liked putting it that way around for ontological reasons.

On the subject of grammar, it has been bugging me for hours. Shouldn't Guido's spreadsheet be 'Who's backing whom?'
    https://order-order.com/2022/10/21/whos-backing-who-the-spreadsheet-returns/
    Yes, but the rule of thumb is ALWAYS say who, because a correct whom looks pedantic as often as not and an incorrect one is career ending.
    As long as it immediately follows a to, for, by, with or from, then "whom" looks OK to me.

In any other context it looks insufferably pompous, even if it's technically correct.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2022

Not sure i would go as high as 99.99%....there are still some old school racists, then the fact he is Indian heritage / Hindu will have some unwilling to vote for him on that alone.

I don't think Labour will get quite that share of the vote.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723

I would say 90% of Tory voters but you should know better than i as i have never suffered from racism or voted Tory
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,096
    edited October 2022

I'm completely baffled by what's going on about race in the last few minutes on here. I just don't get it.

It's wonderful if an Asian heritage person is PM of this country, as it would be if they're from any racial mix of whatever type.

The thing I most love about Britain is that at its best it is a melting pot of peoples from all sorts of diverse backgrounds.

So bravo to the tories if they elect him their leader and my views on the lack of diverse leadership in the Labour Party have been well aired on here previously.

Let's be deeply thankful that this country can have a leader who isn't just a 'white anglo-saxon protestant'
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited October 2022

I'm a bit of a fan of Rishi but that's an uncharacteristically daft comment. I've never heard anything like that nor do I hope I ever will again.

Youre too good to need to get 'likes' from the sort of Tory poster who'll enjoy nonsense like that
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,145
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Wouldn't that make him also the first PM to avow a religion other than Christianity?
    Indeed but Sunak went to Winchester, founded by the Bishop of Winchester and is more of a traditional Tory in background than Truss was
    To be a little more specific, it was founded by the 48th Bishop of Winchester. Not by Tim Dakin or whoever his successor is now he's been fired.
    No, because it's very uncertain whether some of them were Bishop or not, and also whether you count the bishops of Dorchester. But it had been going for over 700 years at that point, so it was at around the halfway stage of its existence. 47 doesn't seem far out.
    Wow.

Dorchester Oxon.

Which, confusingly, was also for some time in the 9th century the seats of the Bishops of what is now Lincoln.
    Visited there twice when seeing friends in Oxford. The two things I recall most are

(a) the bridge over the Thames at the Iron Age promontory fort - apparently a pooh sticks prime site
    (b) the hump in the allotments marking the Roman town wall and ditch. I always wondered if the allotment keepers have to place their veg appropriately - carrots over the wall and turnips over the ditch or whatever.

Jolyon Maugham thinks that only lawyers have access to the "cultural elite".

@JolyonMaugham
    If you haven't practiced law you won't have heard the alienating language of the cultural elites - of clubs and school ties, of Classics and Greats, of Opera and Rugby. It is used, sometimes quite deliberately, by some judges to alienate those from the 'wrong' side of the tracks.

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1583770349279186944

Jolyon seems the like of person who has told me that I've never experienced racism because I was privately educated, the son of a doctor, and earn decent money.
    I do remember in my time as a solicitor, a High Court Judge having a dispute with a barrister over the pronunciation of a bit of Latin and saying I'll take your word for it, you went to a better school than I did. The HCJ was father of the barrister and the schools in q were both, natch, public schools. I thought that was more than a bit eeeeuw, and kinda reinforces the fox thwacker's point.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    MaxPB said:

NYT readers are going to be extremely confused that the racist UK led by the racist Tory party have elected Sunak....
    Not a proper racial minority. Obviously.
    Token appointment, values not aligned with 'his community' or something.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Another politician to lead, resign and then regain the leadership is one Matthew Guy, the Opposition Liberal leader in Victoria.

The state votes at the end of November and last time Labor won 42.9% to the Coalition 35.2% which, on the two-party preference (TPP) vote was Labor 57.3% and the Coalition 42.7%

In terms of seats in the Victoria Labor won 55, the Coalition 27, the Greens 3 and Others 3.

The latest Roy Morgan poll has Labor on 42%, the Coalition on 28% and the Greens on 14.5% with the TPP showing Labor on 60% and the Coalition on 40%.

This suggests a likely increased majority for Labor and another poor result for the Liberals and Nationals after the Federal election.
    I think it now looks like BBB will fail as it will either not even reach 100 or will only just scrape over the mark or Boris will withdraw tomorrow
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2022
    Roger said:

I'm a bit of a fan of Rishi but that's an uncharacteristically daft comment. I've never heard anything like that nor do I hope I ever will again.
    You obviously have a very short memory....it happened a few weeks ago.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,762

I've already written the PB thread if Sunak becomes PM.

'Enoch Powell was right, the darkies do now have the whip hand over white British people.'
    You’re better than that
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,246
    20 miles south of Tucson. The Titan ICBM

Fuck

Just completely Satanic

• Roger said:

Did you miss this?

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan believes comments made by MP Rupa Huq about Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng were "racist".

Ms Huq called Mr Kwarteng "superficially" black at a Labour Party conference fringe event.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63052522
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841

HYUFD said:

I expect polling to return to the status Truss ante under Sunak.

I think it gets under 20 lead but higher than pre Truss as permanent damage has been done. 10 will be low end/opinium with the average mid high teens imo
    Having said that JL Partners......
    Voting intentions conducted by @JLPartnersPolls for Labour against every possible Tory leader…

Current:
    🌹LAB: 51%
    🌳CON: 25%

Johnson:
    🌹LAB: 46%
    🌳CON: 36%

Sunak:
    🌳CON: 35%

Mordaunt:
    🌹LAB: 50%
    🌳CON: 28%
    (Caveat in that she’s widely unknown)
    So Boris does fractionally better than Rishi there then, though both do miles better against Labour than Truss does or Mordaunt would
    If the Tories manage 35 and certainly 36 in a GE i see no chance of a Lab Majority
    The Tories polled a fair bit higher than that in both 1945 and 1966!
    Yes but im assuming LDs get 10 to 14%, SNP 3 or 4%, Greens at least 3%, that leaves Labour on max 45ish and probably ca 41%, HP territory, very slim majority upper end.

Having said that Con 35 is hopeful imo unless things stabilise and are not as bad as feared
    Ishmael_Z said:

@JolyonMaugham
    If you haven't practiced law you won't have heard the alienating language of the cultural elites - of clubs and school ties, of Classics and Greats, of Opera and Rugby. It is used, sometimes quite deliberately, by some judges to alienate those from the 'wrong' side of the tracks.

Jolyon seems the like of person who has told me that I've never experienced racism because I was privately educated, the son of a doctor, and earn decent money.
    I do remember in my time as a solicitor, a High Court Judge having a dispute with a barrister over the pronunciation of a bit of Latin and saying I'll take your word for it, you went to a better school than I did. The HCJ was father of the barrister and the schools in q were both, natch, public schools. I thought that was more than a bit eeeeuw, and kinda reinforces the fox thwacker's point.
    That sounds incredibly dodgy. Aren't judges meant to recuse themselves from hearing cases put forward by family members? If not, they should be.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited October 2022
    Ishmael_Z said:

@JolyonMaugham

Rishi will of course be our first Winchester educated PM since Henry Addington, replacing our first fully comprehensive educated PM in Liz Truss.

The posh boys are back whether it is Boris or Rishi, Eton or Winchester!
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Wow.

Dorchester Oxon.

Get thee to Gloucester, Wessex. Do thee to Essex, Exeter.
    Fair Albany to Somerset must eke his route.
    And Scroop, do you to Westmoreland, where shall bold York,
    Enrouted now for Lancaster, with forces of our Uncle Rutland,
    Enjoin his standard with sweet Norfolk's host.
    Fair Sussex, get thee to Warwicksbourne,
    And there, with frowning purpose, tell our plan
    To Bedford's tilted ear, that he shall press
    With most insensate speed
    And join his warlike effort to bold Dorset's side.
    I most royally shall now to bed,
    To sleep off all the nonsense I've just said.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,237
    edited October 2022
    IF yours truly was Liz Truss, would begin immediately with plans, preparations, FUNDRAISING, etc., etc. the Liz Truss Prime Ministerial Library.

Possible US locations: Branson, Missouri; Orlando, Florida (post-cleanup); Jackpot, Nevada

Plus Keeping It In The Commonwealth: Niagara Falls, Ontario. New York has the Falls, but Canada's got the views! Also Ripley's Believe-It-Or-Not, two (or three?) towers and 257 fudge-mongers.

ADDENDUM - Possible that University of Chicago MIGHT be persuaded to host the LTPML. Perhaps. Or perhaps not?
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,096
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Wow.

Dorchester Oxon.

Your chef worked at The Dorchester?
    No Dorchester

:smiley:

Roger said:

Did you miss this?

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan believes comments made by MP Rupa Huq about Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng were "racist".

Ms Huq called Mr Kwarteng "superficially" black at a Labour Party conference fringe event.

Who was it called Sajid Javid a coconut as well?
    edited October 2022

There’s a school of thought which claims that Boris can return to pick up the pieces after a 2024 loss.

Bollocks.

He is already yesterday’s fish and chip wrapper - a failure to get the nominations shows that - and the country will be all the better for it.

A loss in 2024, for PM Boris or Rishi, will be followed by a complete generational switch.

Political generation, as Rishi is a youngster after all. And would be a very swift journey to no. 10.
  • Leon said:

Fuck

Just completely Satanic

Getting inspiration for a new range of dildos?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Leon said:

Fuck

Just completely Satanic

Keeping the peace for 70 years.
  • As Sunak and Johnson have not yet declared, the the reported level of nominations is surely entirely notional.
    Leon said:

Fuck

Just completely Satanic

And Sleepy Joe has his finger on the launch button
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770

HYUFD said:

I think it gets under 20 lead but higher than pre Truss as permanent damage has been done. 10 will be low end/opinium with the average mid high teens imo
    Voting intentions conducted by @JLPartnersPolls for Labour against every possible Tory leader…

Current:

Johnson:

Sunak:

Mordaunt:
    So Boris does fractionally better than Rishi there then, though both do miles better against Labour than Truss does or Mordaunt would
    If the Tories manage 35 and certainly 36 in a GE i see no chance of a Lab Majority
    Yes but im assuming LDs get 10 to 14%, SNP 3 or 4%, Greens at least 3%, that leaves Labour on max 45ish and probably ca 41%, HP territory, very slim majority upper end.

Having said that Con 35 is hopeful imo unless things stabilise and are not as bad as feared
    The danger for the Conservative Party, under your scenario, is massive tactical voting. Don't forget 2005, when the Labour Party led the Conservatives by just three points, and yet got a 66 seat majority.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812

Roger said:

Did you miss this?

It was pathetic and as far as I’m considered has ended Ms Huq’s political career.

It is not uncommon, either.
    A NZ Cabinet Minister tried the same stunt last month and was forced to apologise. Sadly he is still in post.
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fuck

Just completely Satanic

Not that one. It's out of service, like all Titans. Leon is visiting a site museum.

You should be more interested in whether Tory Racists will vote for a brown PM
    Even though I am ideologically opposed to Sunak's politics, If your comments are indicative of the wider Labour Party, I am inclined to vote Conservative just to piss off the left wing racists.

Starmer fans please explain.
    Me too welcome to the club but in my case it would be to piss off all the racists whether left right or Centrist
  • ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Did you miss this?

Who was it called Sajid Javid a coconut as well?
    Labour activist in that cesspool that gave us Stewart Jackson.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/politics/home-secretarys-anger-peterborough-labour-activists-coconut-jibe-295970
    Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Wow.

Dorchester Oxon.

Good night, sweet Prince
    And flights of Miller's sing thee to thy rest.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770

And two psychopaths at the Home Office. And I for one think that the Conservative Party's commitment to neurodiversity is very laudable.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,274

Fair enough. I wish I could believe it is as high a percentage as that.

Sadly, I would guess there are more racists out there than that, may be a few %, but a dying breed of idiots thankfully.
    But what is increasingly clear is that Johnson’s comeback is failing to convince some of the people who he would have hoped to have rallied behind him.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/is-the-boris-campaign-losing-momentum-
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087

HYUFD said:

Current:

Johnson:

Sunak:

Mordaunt:
    How they're meant to poll that well, even assuming over two years to try to pull it together before the next election, I do not know. They're toxic waste to almost the whole of the younger half of the electorate, we've still got public service cuts and tax rises to come, the effects of interest rate hikes on the housing market are only just beginning to be felt, and at least a large fraction of the population is facing colossal energy price hikes from the Spring.

It leaves them critically reliant on the fogeys to rescue them from a wipeout. Even if the money is found down the back of the Treasury sofa both to afford a 10% hike in the value of the state pension *and* to rescue the entire pensioner population from the fuel price increases (via a gargantuan bung to be recouped, of course, from everyone else,) all the owner occupiers are still going to be fed a constant diet of screaming in the Dementia Press about plummeting house prices. And who's going to get the blame for that?
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fuck

Just completely Satanic

Not that one. It's out of service, like all Titans. Leon is visiting a site museum.
    If we went to WW3 nothing to stop them being recommissioned
    Leon said:

Fuck

Just completely Satanic

That on the right looks like the plywood lid of somebody's play box.

And the whole thing is risibly dildonic.
  • Pennys in to 29-1 from about 45 earlier - do you think a deal with Johnson could be a possibility?
    Off to bed early going to Aintree tomorrow
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fuck

Just completely Satanic

Time and technology constraints. Quite often the original docs have been thrown out as garbage, or if "computerised" are on now-unreadable magnetic tape and such.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    Roger said:

Youre too good to need to get 'likes' from the sort of Tory poster who'll enjoy nonsense like that
    It's not uncommon. When people criticise CRT, this is the kind of thinking they are talking about. This tweet is from an actress with 130k followers:

@kelechnekoff
    Is Rishi a brown puppet of white supremacy?

https://twitter.com/kelechnekoff/status/1555077693233848325
  • Pennys in to 29-1 from about 45 earlier - do you think a deal with Johnson could be a possibility?

My thread header moved the market.
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fuck

Just completely Satanic

Storage for decomissioned weapons would be targets of the initial countermeasure strikes. Recommissioning anything that survives on either side is unlikely in the chaos that will ensue
  • Apologies @ydoethur

The morning thread features tweets from Sam Freedman.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

Just a point of order.

Rupa Huq and RedWall Labour gammon aside, the Conservative Party are not without recent instances of racial outrage. Just ask Baroness Warsi, although what I had in mind were several examples of unpunished satire. Johnsonian satire to the Greater Conservative Party looked very like 24 carat gold Islamaphobia to this snowflake.

Apologies @ydoethur

Bastard, you do it just to trigger me, don't you?
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,533
    Apparently the ERG are going to meet on Monday to decide who to back . I thought some had already come out and nominated today .
  • ydoethur said:

Apologies @ydoethur

It gets worse, I actually agree with Sam Freedman's tweets.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,160
    We’re heading off on half term holiday to our French place with a day of autoroutes ahead of us.

There’s a truly mid 1990s feeling to British politics currently so my chosen new album for the drive is Now 1990s Dancefloor. 84 tracks ranging from The Key, the Secret to Insomnia via Things Can Only Get Better.

We always choose 2 albums so the second one probably needs to reflect the cusp-of-WW3 feeling. Perhaps a bit of Nena, or Frankie.
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fuck

Just completely Satanic

Nonsense. The metalware will be corroded, and totally unsafe to load up with liquid fuel, and the electronics wildly out of date and irreplaceable, and incompatible with anything modern. The crews would last have been active in 1987, so they'll be long retired, never mind up to date with training.

You don't monkey around with an ICBM full of UDMH and dinitrogen tetroxide fuel.
  • In light of global economic crisis, what is BEST way of giving misfortunate PB punters & pundits a much-needed helping handout?

Pseph kitchens!
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fuck

Just completely Satanic

Time. Lack of it.
    edited October 2022
    nico679 said:

Apparently the ERG are going to meet on Monday to decide who to back . I thought some had already come out and nominated today .

Lol Fracois will be getting more 'fuck off, Mark' tweets

ydoethur said:

Apologies @ydoethur

It gets worse, I actually agree with Sam Freedman's tweets.
    I have to grudgingly admit that he is somewhat improving with age. He is no longer a completely useless twat never says anything intelligent. He is a mostly useless twat who seldom says anything intelligent.

Even though it is but a modest improvement, it does of course rule him out of any further involvement in education policy for the rest of time.

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    10m
    Some Tory donors being told Boris will not run.

Would be important to minimise betrayal narrative. They'd still do it by complaining about the threshold but itd not hit home as hard.
  • This is why I think whoever wins the contest will lead the Tories to an epochal defeat. The economy is in a very bad place.

We shouldn’t let this be buried by other news today. Foodbank charity Trussell Trust says that the need for foodbanks has outstripped donations for the first time. It has distributed 46% more emergency food parcels in August and September than at the same time in 2021.

https://twitter.com/BasitMahmood91/status/1583181523552849920

This is why I think whoever wins the contest will lead the Tories to an epochal defeat. The economy is in a very bad place.

We shouldn’t let this be buried by other news today. Foodbank charity Trussell Trust says that the need for foodbanks has outstripped donations for the first time. It has distributed 46% more emergency food parcels in August and September than at the same time in 2021.

I'm assuming donations are down as well?

This is why I think whoever wins the contest will lead the Tories to an epochal defeat. The economy is in a very bad place.

People are poor, cold, and hungry. Theyvm dont reward that.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,573
    Leon said:

Fuck

Just completely Satanic

Isn’t that a Titan II ?
    I think if OGH ever entrusts me with a guest editing slot on PB, I'm going to post loads of tweets explaining why Michael Masi was the greatest F1 race director ever.

I'll have to forge them first, of course, but it might be worth it.
  • Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Wow.

Dorchester Oxon.

Hank Snow - I've Been Everywhere
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oqzy8HU6dQ
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fuck

Just completely Satanic

How ?

And why, even ?

I think the Penny-backers think Boris will make a deal and not stand.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    “[Hu Jintao #胡锦涛] wasn’t feeling well during the session—his staff (for his health), accompanied him to an adjacent venue for a [needed] rest. Now—he’s much better [but we prob won’t see him for some time].”—China state media 😳

https://twitter.com/wes_andrews/status/1583900439933657089?s=46&t=TJw5D5DzLQ8NqlYaE876ow

Roger said:

Did you miss this?

It was pathetic and as far as I’m considered has ended Ms Huq’s political career.

A NZ Cabinet Minister tried the same stunt last month and was forced to apologise. Sadly he is still in post.
    It wont have ended her career. She wasnt sorry, then realised she had to say sorry at least, so that will be an end to it after a period in the doghouse.
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,168
    edited October 2022
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Current:

Johnson:

Sunak:

Mordaunt:

The danger for the Conservative Party, under your scenario, is massive tactical voting. Don't forget 2005, when the Labour Party led the Conservatives by just three points, and yet got a 66 seat majority.
    1997 is a good example. I know plenty of Lib Dems who were actively involved in the 1997 election who are utterly incredulous on being informed that the Lib Dem vote share FELL in 1997 whilst they celebrated 28 net gains, and have to be shown the figures.

When people decide it's a change election, it can be really quite brutal.

“[Hu Jintao #胡锦涛] wasn’t feeling well during the session—his staff (for his health), accompanied him to an adjacent venue for a [needed] rest. Now—he’s much better [but we prob won’t see him for some time].”—China state media 😳

https://twitter.com/wes_andrews/status/1583900439933657089?s=46&t=TJw5D5DzLQ8NqlYaE876ow

This hospital - do the inmates wear orange suits and the doors all have quite strong locks on them?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080

Roger said:

It's not uncommon. When people criticise CRT, this is the kind of thinking they are talking about. This tweet is from an actress with 130k followers:

@kelechnekoff
    Is Rishi a brown puppet of white supremacy?

https://twitter.com/kelechnekoff/status/1555077693233848325
    I'd go for "Twitter Performance Artist" rather than 'actress', fwiw.
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Fuck

Just completely Satanic

Nonsense. The metalware will be corroded, and totally unsafe to load up with liquid fuel, and the electronics wildly out of date and irreplaceable, and incompatible with anything modern. The crews would last have been active in 1987, so they'll be long retired, never mind up to date with training.

You don't monkey around with an ICBM full of UDMH and dinitrogen tetroxide fuel.
    I doubt he realised just how old they are.
    edited October 2022

Well snobs like you will at least be grateful to know that if the poor working class all go back to Labour now Brexit is done, Boris is gone and they are eating at foodbanks, while the £730 million net worth Sunaks are at No 10 it may be safe to tell ones posh rich friends you are voting Tory again for the first time since Cameron
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    According to Guido, Agent Anderson has backed Boris.

So that's my vote for the Ashfield Independents then, probably.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    TimS said:

We’re heading off on half term holiday to our French place with a day of autoroutes ahead of us.

There’s a truly mid 1990s feeling to British politics currently so my chosen new album for the drive is Now 1990s Dancefloor. 84 tracks ranging from The Key, the Secret to Insomnia via Things Can Only Get Better.

We always choose 2 albums so the second one probably needs to reflect the cusp-of-WW3 feeling. Perhaps a bit of Nena, or Frankie.

Two suns in the sunset.
    ydoethur said:

I think if OGH ever entrusts me with a guest editing slot on PB, I'm going to post loads of tweets explaining why Michael Masi was the greatest F1 race director ever.

I'll have to forge them first, of course, but it might be worth it.

Just use why Verstappen beat Hamilton fair and square last season.
    Absurd, of course, but plenty of genuine material to work with.
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

Did you miss this?

It wont have ended her career. She wasnt sorry, then realised she had to say sorry at least, so that will be an end to it after a period in the doghouse.
    Did she say it in her Father Jack voice?

https://youtu.be/bfpi5oIFx-Q
  • HYUFD said:

Well snobs like you will at least be grateful to know that if the poor working class all go back to Labour now Brexit is done and they are eating at foodbanks, while the £730 million net worth Sunaks are at No 10 it may be safe to tell ones posh rich friends you are voting Tory again for the first time since Cameron
    You're not a Tory, you're a socialist with your politics of envy post.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,246
    This is worse than THREADS

• AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,611

I think it now looks like BBB will fail as it will either not even reach 100 or will only just scrape over the mark or Boris will withdraw tomorrow

How will you cope if that scenario transpires?

Scott_xP said:

He might well do so Monday, making that an unwise tone.
    🚨Labour leading 50% v 23% over Tories, largest Labour lead ever recorded by @OpiniumResearch

🚨 30% Tory voters now moved to Labour – up 5% from two weeks ago

🚨 Two thirds of adults believe there should be a general election

https://twitter.com/ryansabey/status/1583899244674486272
  • “[Hu Jintao #胡锦涛] wasn’t feeling well during the session—his staff (for his health), accompanied him to an adjacent venue for a [needed] rest. Now—he’s much better [but we prob won’t see him for some time].”—China state media 😳

From the film looked like he'd got gonged, got the hook - all but frogmarched the old & in-the-way dude off the stage.

Note - this example is from China.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    Wonder if Sunak and Johnson had the meeting at the Granita for a laugh

(It's now an estate agents apparently :( )
    OBSERVER: “Top Tories say Johnson return ‘would risk the party’s death’ “. #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1583912799373496320/photo/1
  • Eabhal said:

A foxtons?
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

Well snobs like you will at least be grateful to know that if the poor working class all go back to Labour now Brexit is done and they are eating at foodbanks, while the £730 million net worth Sunaks are at No 10 it may be safe to tell ones posh rich friends you are voting Tory again for the first time since Cameron
    You're not a Tory, you're a socialist with your politics of envy post.
    No. Like you I voted for Cameron too with the posh snobs, just unlike you I also voted for Boris with the working class oiks too
  • HYUFD said:

Current:

Johnson:

Sunak:

Mordaunt:

If Labour recovers to win circa 15 seats in Scotland, the GB lead needed for a majority will fall back somewhat.
    Eabhal said:

Sunak and Johnson is?

Actually I'd market my house with them, Johnson fronting the showings and Sunak doing the books.
    edited October 2022

We can only therefore hope JRM was right for once: #BorisorBust.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    ydoethur said:

I'm assuming donations are down as well?
    They spoke to some people on radio 4 recently who said that they always used to donate to food banks, but now they were needing to use them, so unless other people have donated more it's hard to see how donations could not have fallen.
    Eabhal said:

'So, Al, we can't eat anything but I just wanted you to look at these house prices. You own several houses and if you become PM again the prices will crash.'

'Er, cripes, really? Well that's a bit, I mean, that's quite worrying. Are you suggesting that, that I perhaps might, might, back you instead for, what, umm, reasons?'

'I'm suggesting Al that if I become PM your money is a hell of a lot safer than if you do.'

'I don't, really, I don't see how I can refuse. What will you, will you offer me?'

'Nothing, Al. Your withdrawal and backing just saves you from penury.'

'Done, Rishi old boy!'

From the film looked like he'd got gonged, got the hook - all but frogmarched the old & in-the-way dude off the stage.

Note - this example is from China.
    Speculation elsewhere that he has Parkinson’s.
This discussion has been closed.