Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Some good polling for Sunak over Johnson but terrible polling for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

Sandpit said:

At what point do the MPs start to twig, that the membership will vote for whoever isn’t Rishi Sunak?

That’s why it mustn’t get to the members.
    And it won't.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    dixiedean said:

How long does it take Bojo to get home? Slothful and slapdash as always.

With any luck, by the time he lands he will be told he can't win this.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

NEW
    @MoodysInvSvc lowers UK sovereign rating outlook to negative because of “heightened unpredictability in policy making” and “risks to UKs debt affordability and a sustained weakening in policy credibility”

https://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys-changes-the-outlook-on-the-UK-to-negative-affirms--PR_469280

Even more reason for Sunak
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976

dixiedean said:

For the sake of this country, we can only hope. Though I am still massively concerned that a number of cabinet members think he can waltz back in, no harm done..
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

dixiedean said:

With any luck he doesn't land and just keeps going
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    Saturday's @thetimes: Johnson ‘will prove fatal’ #TomorrowsPapersToday #FrontPages https://twitter.com/FirstEdition/status/1583566632638554112/photo/1
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    edited October 2022
    We just have to hope that Brady and Co got word of the spreadsheet before setting their threshold.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Frankly 19% is remarkably high, given the spectacle of the past week....

Next goal has to be single figures.
    Scottish Tories at 3% in today’s People Polling/GB News:

SNP 58%
    SLab 22%
    SLD 7%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 3%
    SCon 3%
    oth 3%
    Even Boris got 25% in Scotland in 2019, they will change under the new leader. While Salmond likely stands candidates against Sturgeon if she continues to rule out UDI
    Away and play with a train set. You've said that about two or twenty times today already.
    A train set is too grown up for him
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrMjp_gt-EY

This\ might be OK. Used to have one like it when I was about 4.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Scott_xP said:

NEW
    @MoodysInvSvc lowers UK sovereign rating outlook to negative because of “heightened unpredictability in policy making” and “risks to UKs debt affordability and a sustained weakening in policy credibility”

https://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys-changes-the-outlook-on-the-UK-to-negative-affirms--PR_469280

This will hopefully concentrate minds over the weekend and force MPs to get rishi 268 in the first round.
  • Options

Sunak needs a big majority of MPs and buy off Bozo with a big Ukraine related role - special envoy or some such, give him something to do that he is actually passable at. Then can we please have a couple boring months of stable government with occasional Mark Francois baiting

A first class idea. (They should check some chinless wonders so they can tuck you into an out-of-the-way cubicle somewhere in Downing St.)

Boris could do the Lord's work (in theory) touring Europe, America, all over barnstorming for UKR support. Do it right, and he could end up on triumphant visit to Borisgrad (Johnson'sk Oblast) someday.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

For the sake of this country, we can only hope. Though I am still massively concerned that a number of cabinet members think he can waltz back in, no harm done..
    Self interest
  • Options
    It does look like most of the MPs are going to put Rishi as far ahead as they can. Penny’s poor showing is disappointing, but she’ll throw her support behind Rishi on Monday morning and get a top job out of it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

SNP 58%
    SLab 22%
    SLD 7%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 3%
    SCon 3%
    oth 3%
    Even Boris got 25% in Scotland in 2019, they will change under the new leader. While Salmond likely stands candidates against Sturgeon if she continues to rule out UDI
    Salmond is almost entirely irrelevant right now. He could stand 59 candidates and might not make a difference in a single seat.
    Oh he could, if he splits the Nationalist vote. If the SC rules against an independence referendum and Sturgeon rules out UDI that is very possible
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,531
    If Johnson returns, does he still get his resignation honours list???
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

SNP 58%
    SLab 22%
    SLD 7%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 3%
    SCon 3%
    oth 3%
    Salmond is almost entirely irrelevant right now. He could stand 59 candidates and might not make a difference in a single seat.
    Oh he could, if he splits the Nationalist vote. If the SC rules against an independence referendum and Sturgeon rules out UDI that is very possible
    Anything's "possible" but Salmond is an irrelevance and I predict he'll remain so, whatever happens in the Supreme Court
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

My guess is that he has to fly via Miami.
  • Options
    🗣'As the chairman of the Treasury select committee, I am supporting Rishi Sunak to be the next prime minister and Conservative Party leader' | Writes Mel Stride https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/21/calm-competent-rishi-sunak-can-save-conservative-party/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1666384902-3
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

SNP 58%
    SLab 22%
    SLD 7%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 3%
    SCon 3%
    oth 3%
    Away and play with a train set. You've said that about two or twenty times today already.
    A train set is too grown up for him
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrMjp_gt-EY

This\ might be OK. Used to have one like it when I was about 4.
    Absolutely love it - wonderful
  • Options

And what with Ms Truss's one, there'll be trillions of new ermine vermin.
  • Options
  • Options

Twice. One for September and another one in December.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    This is the kind of gaslighting crap I'd hoped we'd seen the back of.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

HYUFD said:
    There is no case for Johnson under any circumstances
    He can be PM again when hell freezes over.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

With any luck he doesn't land and just keeps going
    Floating gently up up and up, beyond the clouds, beyond the sky, and into the vast beyond.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    Farooq said:

Huge blow for Rishi as Matt Hancock has publicly endorsed Sunak

Perversely I see that as good news. If Hancock is backing him it's presumably because he's going to win. Although Hancock might have misjudged it........
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    edited October 2022
    IanB2 said:

It does look like most of the MPs are going to put Rishi as far ahead as they can. Penny’s poor showing is disappointing, but she’ll throw her support behind Rishi on Monday morning and get a top job out of it.

Remember during the week we had the 'deal is done' stuff. Penny knows she is getting the FO, shes there to get to 100 'if needed' to ensure they can squeeze Boris out, the party has basically decided its Rishi/Hunt/Penny with Shapps as cushion warmer for the Saj and everything now is about stopping/seeing off the ERG/Boris. If it ends with some of them hiving off to some new Farage venture so much the better Rishi will say
  • Options

Farooq said:

Huge blow for Rishi as Matt Hancock has publicly endorsed Sunak

Perversely I see that as good news. If Hancock is backing him it's presumably because he's going to win. Although Hancock might have misjudged it........
    Yeah, maybe, it was just cheap shot at Hancock really. There are worse MPs if I'm honest.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Alistair said:

Lay Yes back Bojo as next leader?

Opposite is better imo. Back Yes and lay him as next leader.

Both can win.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Pile in on Sunak! Close to free money, payout on Monday
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Bozo has serious business to attend to on the flight home. Such as trying to entice one of the flight attendants to join him in the lav while Nut-Nut is asleep.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    IanB2 said:

It doesn't matter how far ahead Sunak is unless Johnson fails to get 100.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,504

dixiedean said:

Antigua on C4 news.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:
    This is the kind of gaslighting crap I'd hoped we'd seen the back of.
    Easily shot down in the comments....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

dixiedean said:

Probs being cavity searched then.
    Fair enough.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043

More importantly does he still get his £118,000 a year?
  • Options

Bozo has serious business to attend to on the flight home. Such as trying to entice one of the flight attendants to join him in the lav while Nut-Nut is asleep.

I doubt another person could fit in the toilet with that fat bastard
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,880
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

I think we need to know how many members don't have email addresses and will not be able to vote. Just seen The Times suggest it is ca. 20k members, a vast majority of those would be in the Boris camp IMO.
    Really useful insight on this, thanks.

BUT - mental that those members who are not easily impersonated/are actually the pet cat/are Boris with 2000 gmail accounts are the ones being disenfranchised.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Just reflecting, before I go off to bed with a nice book, on the degree to which politics has changed in the UK in recent years that that sort of comment can be made on a serious political website without raising much in the way of eyebrows (although, admittedly, they didn't have the internet in the Georgian and Regency eras).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,337
    Scott_xP said:

🗣'As the chairman of the Treasury select committee, I am supporting Rishi Sunak to be the next prime minister and Conservative Party leader' | Writes Mel Stride https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/21/calm-competent-rishi-sunak-can-save-conservative-party/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1666384902-3

Surely his support is in his capacity of Conservative MP ?
    His position as Committee chair is irrelevant to a party leadership contest.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    There is no case for Johnson under any circumstances
    He can be PM again when hell freezes over.
    Speaking of hell freezing over: Charles Moore has written something I agree with in tomorrow's Telegraph:

"I would suggest it is too soon. There are second-order reasons why this is so – the imminent proceedings of the Commons Standards and Privileges Committee which is desperate to suspend him for allegedly misleading the House, the explosion of rage from numerous quarters which would almost paralyse public life if he were back in Downing Street."
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,726
    edited October 2022

IanB2 said:

I’m not convinced this is a shoe in for Johnson if he makes the final two .

I think the fact he’s still under investigation could be a big factor .
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800
    dixiedean said:

John Penrose just said that Brenda from Bristol said "Oh No. Not another one!" when Gordon Brown called an election.
    It's a minor slip. But psychologically indicative of how some Tories think.
    It's always someone else's fault.

Or old working class women all look the same. Brenda==Gillian Duffy in his eyes.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

dixiedean said:

John Penrose just said that Brenda from Bristol said "Oh No. Not another one!" when Gordon Brown called an election.

Or old working class women all look the same. Brenda==Gillian Duffy in his eyes.
    Ah - a very nice observation.
  • Options

Mile High Privy Council?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Just reflecting, before I go off to bed with a nice book, on the degree to which politics has changed in the UK in recent years that that sort of comment can be made on a serious political website without raising much in the way of eyebrows (although, admittedly, they didn't have the internet in the Georgian and Regency eras).
    Hogarth would have adored this lot.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136

Mile High Privy Council?
    Very good, Minister.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

"serious political website" :)

The problem with this is we can only reflect actual politics. That's why there isn't a Scottish version of PB - it's all too serious up here. And everyone is very angry.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

dixiedean said:

Yep. That thought occurred too.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Wasn't until Victorian era that you could look forward to going to bed with a good Trollope.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

IanB2 said:

It’s Sunak, trust me. Brady and co knew that when they announced the vote; the Cabinet knew that when they met at the Carlton Club. Johnson may not make the hundred, and if he does there will be the most intense pressure for him to withdraw and play ball.

It’s obvious Sunak will top the MPs poll by miles. The Tories - as has everyone else - understand that Truss’s problem was not being the MPs’ choice. They won’t make that mistake again. All Brady’s comments about the member stage were carefully worded, hedged to indicate it may or may not happen, and they are relaxed about the logistics and practical problems because it’s not going to happen.

Sunak will be PM Monday evening.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108

Mile High Privy Council?
    Privy Congress, shurely?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,747
    Scott_xP said:

A moron speaks: Boris’s first time in office was a great success, shamefully curtailed.
    Normies: What the absolute fuck?
    Moron (who is an MP): Why do you hate so much?
    Voter: Let me introduce you to the concept of a mirror.

https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/1583557133676576768

Perhaps the unfunniest tweet ever tweeted
  • Options
    nico679 said:

IanB2 said:

He could slip on to the role easily.
    Or become tied up pretty soon.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    Vox pops in Bridgend on ITV Wales News was overwhelmingly Johnson. Interviewees were very skeptical of Labour and Starmer in particular.

I may have read this all wrong and despite the scandals and the desperate economic situation, Johnson might pull another five years off against the run of play.

Madness!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Bizarre tweet from Tobias Ellwood. Apparently "the free market experiment is over".

@Tobias_Ellwood
    The free mkt experiment is over - it’s been a low point in our Party’s great history.

The reset begins.

Time for centrist, stable, fiscally responsible Government offering credible domestic & international leadership.

Honoured to be the 100th Tory MP to support #Ready4Rishi

https://twitter.com/Tobias_Ellwood/status/1583560922139791361
  • Options
    nico679 said:

IanB2 said:

LOL.

The majority of members couldn't give a feck. Their hero has been traduced by the remainer elite. That's all the investigation is to them. Just another plot to stop their man.

• Options
    nico679 said:

IanB2 said:

The hustings are going to be dreadful for him and the poll after
  • Options

Mile High Privy Council?
    High Court With His Trousers Down?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

I think we need to know how many members don't have email addresses and will not be able to vote. Just seen The Times suggest it is ca. 20k members, a vast majority of those would be in the Boris camp IMO.

BUT - mental that those members who are not easily impersonated/are actually the pet cat/are Boris with 2000 gmail accounts are the ones being disenfranchised.
    If you fancy a nightmare scenario, imagine the Tory members' online vote finishes with both candidates within a few hundred votes of each other. 😳
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pile in on Sunak! Close to free money, payout on Monday

One for the ages.

I salute you sir for sheer bravado.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

IanB2 said:

It’s Sunak, trust me. Brady and co knew that when they announced the vote; the Cabinet knew that when they met at the Carlton Club. Johnson may not make the hundred, and if he does there will be the most intense pressure for him to withdraw and play ball.

It’s obvious Sunak will top the MPs poll by miles. The Tories - as has everyone else - understand that Truss’s problem was not being the MPs’ choice. They won’t make that mistake again. All Brady’s comments about the member stage were carefully worded, hedged to indicate it may or may not happen, and they are relaxed about the logistics and practical problems because it’s not going to happen.

The other interesting thing is the distinct lack of backing from Boris's former chums in the media.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Bizarre tweet from Tobias Ellwood. Apparently "the free market experiment is over".

@Tobias_Ellwood
    The free mkt experiment is over - it’s been a low point in our Party’s great history.

The reset begins.

Time for centrist, stable, fiscally responsible Government offering credible domestic & international leadership.

So he thinks a reset would be a great idea ?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Wasn't until Victorian era that you could look forward to going to bed with a good Trollope.
    Quite. I've worked my way through the Barchester Chronicles and the Pallisers. Tonight, might go for a nice battleship technical history, though.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,337
    McConnell breaks with McCarthy on Ukraine & touts military aid already approved “on an overwhelming bipartisan basis.”

“A Republican majority in the Senate will focus its oversight on ensuring timely delivery of needed weapons and greater allied assistance to Ukraine...”

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1583484713712640000
  • Options

Vox pops in Bridgend on ITV Wales News was overwhelmingly Johnson. Interviewees were very skeptical of Labour and Starmer in particular.

I may have read this all wrong and despite the scandals and the desperate economic situation, Johnson might pull another five years off against the run of play.

Madness!

Yeah.
    I get that too.
    A Boris actually having to deal with an economic crisis, rather than bullshitting it away would be fun.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

IanB2 said:

Nice ring to it.

I feel for those who lost out on a 250-1 bet because of the short tragi-comic tenure of Liz Truss. Maybe sue the Conservative membership in a class action?
  • Options

@Tobias_Ellwood

The reset begins.

Thought that was strange too.

But not as odd as JRM's "Boris or Bust". That's going to get thrown back at him when Boris loses.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

IanB2 said:

I think that's right.
  • Options
    NEW: Penny Mordaunt indicates she would appoint a front bench of all the talents (ie across Tory Party factions) in a comment issued to @Telegraph. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/21/penny-mordaunt-would-keep-jeremy-hunt-chancellor/ https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1583574813179711488/photo/1
  • Options

Eabhal said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

If you fancy a nightmare scenario, imagine the Tory members' online vote finishes with both candidates within a few hundred votes of each other. 😳
    52-48?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Surely his support is in his capacity of Conservative MP ?
    His position as Committee chair is irrelevant to a party leadership contest.
    You are dealing with a remarkably pompous hierarchy where this stuff really matters.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

IanB2 said:

The other interesting thing is the distinct lack of backing from Boris's former chums in the media.
    Exactly - you can feel the way things are going, there are clues everywhere.

Yes, if Johnson gets 100, he could probably win. But he’ll have such opposition within the party hierarchy, he’ll be presented with a list of people who won’t work with him and a list of those who will leave the party. He may be presented with details of other stuff, so far only rumoured deep on the internet, that he wouldn’t want made public. There are dozens of levers the party will be able to bring to bear, and he’ll understand them all too well. He won’t run.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    I've got a feeling Boris won't run. It will be a repeat of 2016 when he'll judge that the mood of the parliamentary party isn't behind him and bow out.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Penny Mordaunt indicates she would appoint a front bench of all the talents (ie across Tory Party factions) in a comment issued to @Telegraph. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/21/penny-mordaunt-would-keep-jeremy-hunt-chancellor/ https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1583574813179711488/photo/1

Talents?
    My arse.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

@Tobias_Ellwood

The reset begins.

I fail to see what is "bizarre" about it. I hope it is correct.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Talents?
    That's "anyone who can stump up 3,600 Shekels for the job."
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

They had Gillray though:

• Options
    Nigelb said:

McConnell breaks with McCarthy on Ukraine & touts military aid already approved “on an overwhelming bipartisan basis.”

“A Republican majority in the Senate will focus its oversight on ensuring timely delivery of needed weapons and greater allied assistance to Ukraine...”

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1583484713712640000

Good cop, bad cop. One appealing to (mainly) suburban swing voters, other to MAGA-maniacs.

Somewhat similar dynamic Johnson, Trump on same issue.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,726

Madness!

The media want the clown and these VOX pops are hardly a weighed sample of the public .
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Please let there be Tory/LibDem crossover.

I'm dreaming of the Tory-Green crossover
    Or, in Scotland, Tory/Alba.
    I'm not dreaming of that. Alba are scum, no less so than the Tories. I'm want them both in the bin.
    To join you
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

IanB2 said:

Intense pressure - lol, what they gonna do, appeal to his innate decency and propriety?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

They had Gillray though:

One of his milder efforts.

Worth noting that Gillray was switch-hitter. Lampooned Tories, then Whigs. (Or was it other way around?)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

IanB2 said:

Exactly - you can feel the way things are going, there are clues everywhere.

Yes, if Johnson gets 100, he could probably win. But he’ll have such opposition within the party hierarchy, he’ll be presented with a list of people who won’t work with him and a list of those who will leave the party. He may be presented with details of other stuff, so far only rumoured deep on the internet, that he wouldn’t want made public. There are dozens of levers the party will be able to bring to bear, and he’ll understand them all too well. He won’t run.
    Dozens in the sense of, not any?

Where is "deep on the internet"?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

They had Gillray though:

Worth noting that Gillray was switch-hitter. Lampooned Tories, then Whigs. (Or was it other way around?)
    Tbf it was just the first one I could quickly find.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129

Madness!

Vox pops do not a properly conducted survey make. They probably went out on the streets looking for interviewees in the middle of the day, and found an assortment of confused elderly people and dangerous imbeciles wandering about, who are amongst Johnson's few remaining supporters. How quickly we forget that, by the time he was thrown out, his ratings weren't very much better than Truss's.

For any Tory leader to win the next election, they are going to need to claw back the vast bulk of the huge flow of voters whose predilections have now swung directly from Conservative to Labour - and we've not even had most of the pain from the latest economic shockwave yet. The mortgage interest rate rises feeding through, the tax rises, the spending cuts, the collapsing public services. Basically, unless, in a shock plot twist, Keir Starmer is revealed quite literally to be Satan, the Tories are headed for opposition. The only question is how serious their defeat will be.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Note the subject of the Gillray print posted just down-thread.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

They had Gillray though:

Seem to be a lot of depictions of Johnson in that cartoon.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

A tory scorned and all that Carnyx
  • Options
    So what's latest box score?
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited October 2022
    On Keir Starmer: it's not good when civil servants become senior figures in political parties and aim to become prime ministers.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

IanB2 said:

Intense pressure - lol, what they gonna do, appeal to his innate decency and propriety?
    They have lots of ways. Johnson is under investigation, remember? And the other potential scandals widely rumoured - referred to by Crerar on the politics show in the week - are another lever. As is Hunt’s ability to resign.

I did think there was a small chance Penny might make it through - if there’s a member ballot between her and Sunak. But it’s clear she’s only getting support from her closest friends, and she won’t win from so far behind in the MPs stakes. Barring a surprise en masse move of hundreds of MPs over the weekend, Sunak has it in the bag.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

IanB2 said:

I think that's right.
    I really hope it is right, Johnson as PM is 100% unacceptable
  • Options
    BORIS IS ON A FLIGHT
  • Options
    I supported Brexit and voted Con at a GE for the first time in 2019 so ought to be the sort of person who would welcome person Boris back but the thought fills me with dread. I don't have anything against Boris personally and can understand why some people would welcome him back but now is not the right time.

The Tories need to learn the lesson from the US Democrats. The Dems thought that Roe vs Wade would unlock the midterms but they are now starting to get crushed on inflation and crime:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2022/10/21/wave-watch-is-the-bottom-falling-out-for-democrats-n2614836

The lesson is that fighting the culture wars (whether from the left or right) can work when the economy is going well but when the economy is bad that is only thing that matters (see Maslow's hierarchy of needs).

In my view, the economy is the only thing that matters until the election and the only Tory who has the credibility to take the fight to Labour is Rishi.

I'd vote for him (not that I can)
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Talents?
    My arse.
    When your party needs to call on Jeremy "Exercise Cygnus" Hunt to restore some semblance of rigour to governance, you know that the end is nigh.
This discussion has been closed.