Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could TMay be back as a temporary PM? – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,056

BBC reported that she is resigning just before she came out of the door

They read it on the SKY page
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,217
    She managed to visit the Palace without being spotted?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    I must admit, when I woke at 2am and thought "you know what, I'll just quickly check PB", I didn't expect I'd be tracking the departure of the PM... a PM who only arrived a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437
    edited October 2022

A week-long leadership election. Hence no membership vote.

How the hell are they going to manage that?!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,363
    Eabhal said:

One week!!

In time for the fiscal event, note.
  • Options
    In other words they haven't found a unity candidate. Because there is no unity. And there won't be within the next week will there...
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,881
    She looked much better
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,711
    PaulSimon said:

She looked relieved, if anything.

I should think she is.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,012
    This will be the first quick-fire leadership election to choose a new PM since Thatcher resigned.
  • Options
    This absolute rabble have ruined this country over the last six years, they need to go. GE now.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    HYUFD said:

So Truss goes, has to be Sunak by coronation now in my view

I think there are more anyone but Sunak supporters...

Hunt as compromise I see.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    If the party has any common sense left, they’ll go Sunak
  • Options
    The relief is tangible and the next PM elected by conservatives mps is excellent
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,363
    Howard on R4 to give the Sunak line.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,519
    edited October 2022
    IanB2 said:

She managed to visit the Palace without being spotted?

Back again already? Dear, dear, dear...
  • Options
    Somebody needs to preserve The Lectern for the British Museum.

Like The Queue, it's now part of The Great Island Story - Great British History.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,242
    She did positively skip out of 10 DS.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111
    Every time my wife goes to the states a PM resigns. If anyone good ever gets in I’m hiding her passport
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,217
    Ghedebrav said:

Still think she's going to cling on. Very happy to be wrong, of course.

Hi Leon!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Sunak vs. Stop Sunak.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    Does this mean her exit date will be before end of year? If contested, surely this will not go into 2023?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,573

Told Charles she is resigning

Resigned as leader of Conservative Party - when one is elected in a week she will resign as PM. His Majesty’s government carries on.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    There we go then! After 195 years George Canning will no longer be Britain's shortest Prime Minister by tenure!

Crazy times...
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    May can't be standing. Last price matched 1000.

:-(
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    The Tories may well change their rules in future so that the membership doesn't get a vote. It can lead to absolute chaos when a majority of MPs don't support the leader.

Of course, when Labour elected a leader who didn't have the support of the MPs they let it drag out for years before they could get rid of him. Tories got it done in 6 weeks.
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Rishi gone odds on.

Me laying Sunak for next PM this morning went well then.
  • Options
    Leadership contenders
    Sunak
    Mordant
    Braverman
    Chisti
    Ghost of Thatcher

Who else?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Leadership contenders
    Sunak
    Mordant
    Braverman
    Chisti
    Ghost of Thatcher

Who else?

Hunt
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    GIN1138 said:

There we go then! After 195 years George Canning will no longer be Britain's shortest Prime Minister by tenure!

Crazy times...

*ghost of George Canning breathes a sigh of relief and fades into the ether*
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Leadership contenders
    Sunak
    Mordant
    Braverman
    Chisti
    Ghost of Thatcher

Who else?

Depends on the rules Brady sets I guess. One assumes they would have to be living.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    DougSeal said:

Every time my wife goes to the states a PM resigns. If anyone good ever gets in I’m hiding her passport

No prospect of that any time soon...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    So, will it be just Sunak versus Mordaunt?
  • Options

Leadership contenders
    Sunak
    Mordant
    Braverman
    Chisti
    Ghost of Thatcher

Who else?

Hunt
    What's your view?

Looking at the Con blogs one shouldn't underestimate how disliked Sunak is in Tory circles. I suspect Hunt even more so. If Wallace doesn't want to stand my reading is that Mordaunt is the one.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    Cookie said:

GIN1138 said:

Crazy times...

*ghost of George Canning breathes a sigh of relief and fades into the ether*
    Will the Trivial Pursuit people send out a free replacement card for that question?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Who is the Boris / Daily Mail's candidate? They will want a winner. I can't see that yet, but its unlikely to be Mordant or Sunak.

Boris?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,223
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Breaking - sex abuse enquiry recommends making failure to report suspicions a criminal offence

How does that work then? Strikes me that it would be very bad law.
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Breaking - sex abuse enquiry recommends making failure to report suspicions a criminal offence

How does that work then? Strikes me that it would be very bad law.
    No detail yet - the report was only released at midday
    At a random guess - NFA’ing a reported abuse for “administrative”, “cultural sensitivity” etc reasons becomes a crime.
    Indeed, including "boss told me to bin it cos boss is a chum/reported perp is a councillor/etc."

What I'm not clear about is how you deal with record keeping if the boss will just destroy the evidence. Keep a copy off site to CYA? But that willbe a breach of corporate and statute law on personal data.
    At a random guess it would go like this -

Victim - I reported it. Here is a copy of my official report of the crime.
    Official - all the paperwork has vanished….

Imagine you are on the jury.

And before you say it, there are a number of financial things where if you can’t prove that you did your due diligence, you are done…
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ping said:

IanB2 said:

And then nobody sane is going to want to work with children.

Not workable in practice.
    How do you define 'suspicions?' It is your legal duty at this moment to report any concerns anyway. And if you have suspicions but can't prove them and keep quiet, how does anyone ever prove you had them? So why bother criminalising an offence you can't prove?

This tells me the person in charge of the enquiry is a complete fool.

Which, given it's a government enquiry, is probably par for the course.
    It’s the classic reaction to reactions to reactions….

We have a culture of coverup and ignoring for a certain class of sexual crime. To move the bovine mass of the permanent governmental machine requires a huge kick.

Consider the action/reaction to the ending (effectively) of the idea of treason, the refusal in certain quarters to allow extradition of ludicrously terroristic figures (Londonistan) through to the Home Sec deleting citizenship at whim.
  • Options

Off-topic:

Re. the potential cable-cutting. It can be argued that one of the first acts Britain committed during World War One won the war (eventually). Within the first few weeks of the war, we cut all but one of Germany's marine cables (and we had access to that one).

This severely hampered German international communications throughout the war, and aided our signals intelligence. Then in 1917 it allowed the infamous Zimmerman Telegram to be intercepted, which helped bring the US into the war.

Cutting cables nowadays would not have the same effect; but it may prove absolutely awful for trade.

Good for Elon Musk though...

What state is OneWeb in at the moment?
    Early operational testing - service has gaps until the last satellites are launched.

Interestingly, the missing satellites (stuck in Russia) will be launched by SpaceX. Yes, they are being launched by their direct competitor. Given the way the launch business usually works, finding a ride would have taken multiple years. Only SpaceX has the capability to do large launches at a couple of months notice.

Reasons for the SpaceX being helpful include

- having a competitor is actually good for them. Accusations of monopoly.
    - Launching a direct rivals service protects them against charges of being anti-competitive.. using the SpaceX price advantage only for Starlink could be viewed that way. This contract makes SpaceX legally fireproof on such charges.
    - The space industry have a history of helping rivals out. You never know when it is your turn
    - As a result of launch contract various mutual lawsuits have gone away.
  • Options
    It’s nice to dream.

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    That binbag over the lectern on Truss's first day was quite the omen
This discussion has been closed.