Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is the regent about to become the monarch? – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options

ydoethur said:

Question.

Which month's figures are used for determining the rise in phone/broadband contract prices?

March / April I think for BT
    No, that's when it goes up but it is based on the December figure (published in January) +3.9%.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209
    Surely Hunt of all people must know that reform of the social care system is essential to get the nightmare sitution with the NHS under control?

Bed blocking is wrecking the whole pipeline.

I am fucking incandescent this morning. :angry:

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

This thread has been admitted to a care home.

Er... has left the care home for good, shirley?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977

Scott_xP said:

Oooof.

📈 Inflation is 10.1%, BUT

🍲 food inflation has hit 14.6% - THE HIGHEST IN 42 YEARS https://twitter.com/PGMcNamara/status/1582618775639425024/photo/1

When I was flagging the food price inflation tsunami months ago I recall various posters pooh-poohing it as 'prices in Waitrose are ok' or words to that effect
    14.6% seems rather on the low end for a lot of things actually.

Milk, eggs etc seem to have increased by a third or more.
    Of course! The previous market price was below cost...
    And it's still not great.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209
    In the Commons tea room, the mood is mutinous. Even newer MPs normally reluctant to stick their heads above the parapet are telling the whips she should go. Members of the Old Guard are in despair, not least at the calibre of the Cabinet. “There needs to be a total clear-out and the return of experienced, wiser, greyer heads,” said one.

telegraph
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,215
    edited October 2022

ydoethur said:

Question.

Which month's figures are used for determining the rise in phone/broadband contract prices?

December.
    Edit - sorry, misunderstood something.

Which means that next April unless we have a quite extraordinary turnaround in the next month people are going to struggle to afford their broadband contracts.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    edited October 2022
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    edited October 2022
    MikeL said:

LATEST CUT:

Per The Times: Hunt will postpone cap on Social Care costs.

For now maybe but if he hasn't capped social care costs by the next general election there will be hell to pay, especially in bluebell Home counties seats where voters will stay hole or go RefUK
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

At least the very worse off are getting a Brexit payrise, though.

Do you have the same chart for Greeks, Germans and other Europeans?

Its entirely possible that people are having both a Brexit payrise and a decline in real wages considering there is huge global inflation - but that the decline in real wages would have been much worse without their Brexit payrise to help cushion the blow.
    Inflation is eroding real wages everywhere.

What I can't get my head around is that the median US worker is hardly paid more than thirty years ago, in real terms, despite economic growth over that period. It's worth noting that US growth per head has only been slightly higher than our own, over that period, but a bit more of our growth has filtered down to median workers than in the US.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/08/07/for-most-us-workers-real-wages-have-barely-budged-for-decades/
    Yet they will still be far better off than median UK workers for certain
    The UK median is dragged down by the turnip eating cretins North of the border.
    Probably not as Scottish per capita GDP is around the UK average and higher than in Wales, Northern Ireland and most regions of England outside London and the SE.
    Shhhh... I'm trying to annoy @malcolmg
    A very naughty boy you are
    Well, if you'd actually bothered to spend some time on the site recently, I probably would have resisted the urge to tease you.

But no. You'd rather hang out in "real life".

Let me tell you this: real life sucks. Political Betting is so much better. The people are nicer. The conversation more intelligent. Nobody yells at you. Or at least, nobody yells at me, because I can always ban them.
    that is called "Doing a Putin "
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

malcolmg said:

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

Breaking:

Inflation has hit 10.1%, a 40 year record

It’s the figure usually used to calculate rises in benefits and pensions - a link No 10 is now prepared to break

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1582615461069754369

Still less than Germany.
    That is comforting , I can go shopping happy now.
    Don't forget you have your big 10.1% pension increase coming... probably
    As I forecast , I will not see it.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Question.

December.
    Edit - sorry, misunderstood something.

Which means that next April unless we have a quite extraordinary turnaround in the next month people are going to struggle to afford their broadband contracts.
    I'm sure I can afford £5.40 on my broadband/TV and £1.05 on my phone.

What people ought to do is let their phone contracts expire and go SIM-only.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

Senior Tory MPs have told Express.co.uk it is “now common knowledge” that Mr Hunt is organising a reshuffle of Ms Truss’ ministerial team.

I assume Suella Braverman would be the first person he'd like to move.
    She's on the list, according to the Express, along with most of PB's other superheroes.
This discussion has been closed.