Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Punters make it a 64% chance that Truss won’t survive 2022 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,207

Markets seem to have a massive continual boner for Sunak.

Not sure why.

He’s probably putting money on himself to try to generate the big mo.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,273

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

You don't come back from a 36% national polling deficit in one parliament, probably not two, and quite possibly three.

That's the scale of this armageddon into which the Conservative Government now stares.

The Mail is not pulling punches. And I notice, er, they're not mentioning coalitions of chaos any more.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11324327/Liz-Truss-looks-Jeremy-Hunt-says-torch-mini-Budget-stability.html

In the 1992 Parliament Labour did enjoy Gallup poll leads in excess of 40% in 1994 & 1995. It won the 1997 GE by 13%.
    And your point?
    My point is that in a GE likely to be two years away Labour's lead could still fall back to less than 10%.
    You are utterly deluded. See my post below about just how much worse the economic situation is than during 1992-7.

Total delusion. It's a sea change.
    The Labour lead would quickly be halved in the event of a new PM taking over. There is a lot of froth in the current polls - indeed even were Truss to remain PM and call an immediate GE for late November the Tories would be unlikely to lose by 20%.
    I agree. It would be more like 30% if Truss were seeking re-election as PM next month.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    Liz Truss' approval rating is -61%, the lowest approval rating for a sitting Prime Minister that we've recorded.

Liz Truss Approval Rating (16 October):

Disapprove: 70% (+8)
    Approve: 9% (-5)
    Net: -61% (-13)

Changes +/- 13 October

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1582049125448945664

Two questions: who are the 9%? And how on Earth do we find enough psychiatric care places for them all?
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

eek said:

One consequence of the last few days is that a future Starmer government is going to come under huge pressure for a rejoin referendum. The Brexit / Singapore-on-Thames dream is now dead in the water.

Rejoin ref
    IndyRef2
    PR
    too many things too quickly.

If Labour has a majority it's hard to see how IndyRef2 comes into place and likewise rejoining has to be a longer term project.

The important change in the next election is to change our electoral system so that we aren't left with a 2 party system where 1 or other has the risk of being hijacked towards the extremes.
    Rejoining won’t happen anytime soon and why would the EU have us given the trouble we have been.

A closer relationship is the best we can hope for.
    The relationdhip we have now is fine tbh. There is a whole world to forge ties with, without all the EU bulllshit
    Have you come from mars?
    No, i wafted in from paradise (bonus points for actress/model and product advertised)
    Why limit ourselves to the EU when we can have the herbs and spices of four continents?
    I can get that in Tesco...
    Even after Brexit? That’s amazing, I thought Brexit was the end of the world.
    TBH, there are gaps on the spice shelves. Quite a lot of them. I had trouble getting a few like ginger, paprika and even mixed herbs. No tomato puree either...
    Tbf there are gaps on shelves everywhere in tbe world. Check out the number of container ships sitting idle outside Shanghai and other big commercial ports.
    Shortages will be commonplace next year. At some point we will stop gawking at our own clusterfuck and realise the multifuck happening.
    Yes, but tomato puree and mixed herbs don't come from China on container ships. They tend to come from what used to be called the Continent.
    Tomato products are on a general shortage due to production costs soaring. I expect spices are in the same boat.
    I would be extremely surprised if it were a brexit issue. Or a UK specific issue
    No fresh tomatoes last week, for some reason.
    There was a tomato crop issue this year, a lot of priducers have just stopped due to rising costs etc. There will be fresh tomato shortages all winter
    It has to be Hunt, doesn’t it?

Sunak is another spiv and was an indispensable enabler of Johnsonism.

Mordaunt and Wallace are both essentially untested.

I want the Tories out big-style, but this is what’s best for the country.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,837

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    19m
    Will Truss be PM by Xmas? Hunt says he thinks she will. And he also said he “ruled out” being PM
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 48,050

Not sure why.

He got most MPs and 43% of members just 6 weeks ago. I suspect a re run would give him a landslide with members.
    MikeL said:

Looks like this BBC update timed at 7.25pm is what moved the Exit Date market:

"Prime Minister Liz Truss has acknowledged "mistakes have been made" when meeting the 100-strong One Nation group of centrist Tory MPs, Conservative Party chairman Jake Berry has said.

He told journalists "unity" had been the focus of the meeting and that the prime minister was "bringing the party together".

Berry also said former Health Secretary Matt Hancock made a "really good intervention", saying that "we've got to get behind the PM"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-63278993

Lol. Desperate.
    She goes tomorrow.
    pigeon said:

Liz Truss' approval rating is -61%, the lowest approval rating for a sitting Prime Minister that we've recorded.

Liz Truss Approval Rating (16 October):

Disapprove: 70% (+8)
    Approve: 9% (-5)
    Net: -61% (-13)

Changes +/- 13 October

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1582049125448945664

Two questions: who are the 9%? And how on Earth do we find enough psychiatric care places for them all?

I approve of the way she has destroyed the Tory party...

It has to be Hunt, doesn’t it?

Sunak is another spiv and was an indispensable enabler of Johnsonism.

Mordaunt and Wallace are both essentially untested.

I want the Tories out big-style, but this is what’s best for the country.

Clearly he would be best for the country.

So therefore no chance of getting to be PM with this clown show.

I fully expect the new PM to be facing PMQs next Wednesday and it to be Patel or Braverman given the party's recent track record.

• MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

You don't come back from a 36% national polling deficit in one parliament, probably not two, and quite possibly three.

That's the scale of this armageddon into which the Conservative Government now stares.

The Mail is not pulling punches. And I notice, er, they're not mentioning coalitions of chaos any more.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11324327/Liz-Truss-looks-Jeremy-Hunt-says-torch-mini-Budget-stability.html

In the 1992 Parliament Labour did enjoy Gallup poll leads in excess of 40% in 1994 & 1995. It won the 1997 GE by 13%.
    And your point?
    My point is that in a GE likely to be two years away Labour's lead could still fall back to less than 10%.
    You are utterly deluded. See my post below about just how much worse the economic situation is than during 1992-7.

I take your point. Even in election late 24 there will be lack of growth, recession, inflation, high interest rates all still very fresh in memory if not still ongoing to some degree.

Truth is, none of us know what the next election PV will be, I think it’s even harder to guess now than 8 weeks ago, even if we did know the PV the putting it into a seat calculator could return very different than the actual result - anti Tory coalition etc. But, for a long 2 years we will all now believe what we want to believe much like the only right poll is the one we like most.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    No way Truss leaves before Christmas. No way. She’s gamed this well in advance. 4D chess. Trusst in the plan. She’s got vision while the rest of are struggling to find our bifocals.

MikeL said:

"Prime Minister Liz Truss has acknowledged "mistakes have been made" when meeting the 100-strong One Nation group of centrist Tory MPs, Conservative Party chairman Jake Berry has said.

He told journalists "unity" had been the focus of the meeting and that the prime minister was "bringing the party together".

Berry also said former Health Secretary Matt Hancock made a "really good intervention", saying that "we've got to get behind the PM"."

Lol. Desperate.
    She goes tomorrow.
    Hancock?

Jeez.

It is like a rerun of some terrible 'B' movie involving the living dead and dodgy vibrating scenery.

• MikeL said:

Deja Vu from the '22 banging desks for Theresa May after the 2017 debacle.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,404
    MikeL said:

Sounds pretty deluded to me, but then again I'm not a Tory MP.
  • Markets seem to have a massive continual boner for Sunak.

Not sure why.

The markets almost always seem to overvalue last time's runner up, even when they're obviously out of contention.

David Miliband, Andrea Leadsom etc all clear lays.
    edited October 2022

ydoethur said:

A few leadership campaign slogan suggestions::

Have a punt on Hunt

Taste fresh Coffey

Penny for your votes

Redwood not deadwood

Finally Ready for Rishi?
    Michael Green, now that’s what I mean!
    Shapps Slaps!
    Take a Punt on Hunt
    I like my Coffey Strong and (in the) Black
    Badenoch is Goodenough
    Nifty Chishti
    Ravers for Bravers
    Give Tom a Tug

• Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

And your point?

The Labour lead would quickly be halved in the event of a new PM taking over. There is a lot of froth in the current polls - indeed even were Truss to remain PM and call an immediate GE for late November the Tories would be unlikely to lose by 20%.
    I agree. It would be more like 30% if Truss were seeking re-election as PM next month.
    I would like you to be correct , but would not expect it to happen in truth. Huge poll leads are almost always very 'frothy' - as we saw with Theresa May's stonking margins in the first half of the 2017 campaign. It also proved true in 1997 and 2001 - despite the Labour landslides. Even Thatcher's 1983 landslide was not as overwhelming as the polls had been predicting.

Not sure why.

I'd win more off Hunt but objectively, Rishi is the more logical choice for the party, and indeed topped the MPs' section last time.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    MikeL said:

KK got behind the PM, allegedly.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,397

James Forsyth has suggested this is the biggest UK policy mistake since Suez. Honestly why do Conservatives keep going on about Suez? Do they believe the Empire would still be with us today were it not for Eisenhauer pulling the plug on us? The second Iraq war seems like a far worse mistake. And what of the enormous financial and property bubble pre-2008?

Neither am I convinced that this is such a national disaster. Embarrassing yes. Hunt has basically taken us back to where we were pre-statement. A ludicrous unforced error, yes but terrible mistakes are not ones that are easily reversed like this one. We do actually have an opportunity now under a new government to restore some credibility. With the liar Johnson gone from No 10 I expect a deal is possible with the EU over Northern Ireland. Don't forget much of the loss in market confidence has been due to the threat of trade war with our major trading partner. Gas prices are falling. There will be a painful rise in interest rates but the economy will re-balance and after 15 years of depression economics we might get back to normality.

Is the grass greener on the other side? Perhaps. But the US has big political problems. The Eurozone has major economic issues. All is not lost - yet.

This disaster is notable for not having yet been given a peppy moniker like Black Wednesday or Taper Tantrum. Probably too late for one to stick now.

Whether it is remembered will depend on that, and on whether similar wobbles overcome other economies in the next year or not.
  • MikeL said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O1H0jcyNsk

Not sure why.

I'd win more off Hunt but objectively, Rishi is the more logical choice for the party, and indeed topped the MPs' section last time.
    If she falls as she will then logically the runner up candidate in a leadership election that happened only about 8 weeks ago should be leader.

No idea why this is so hard for the party to be honest.

He's the only one with a mandate which he gained by coming 2nd in the leadership race.

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,682
    Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

Heathener said:

That 56% Labour share is the highest in any national poll since 24th March 1997

Their 36% lead is the highest since the 8th January 1996

The next General Election will be a shellacking for the tories

You mean PM Huntdaunt won't get a 20 point bounce?!
    I’m old enough to remember when we were predicting a bounce for the current PM. Halcyon days when I was but a boy.
    I predicted a negative bounce, but even I underestimated what Agent Truss was capable of...
    A Truss sag?

Not sure why.

The markets almost always seem to overvalue last time's runner up, even when they're obviously out of contention.

David Miliband, Andrea Leadsom etc all clear lays.
    Jeremy Hunt another example. But Rishi was what, just five or six weeks ago, so we should not write him off on that score.

ydoethur said:

Have a punt on Hunt

Taste fresh Coffey

Penny for your votes

Redwood not deadwood

Finally Ready for Rishi?
    Shapps Slaps!
    Take a Punt on Hunt
    Badenoch is Goodenough
    Nifty Chishti
    Ravers for Bravers
    Give Tom a Tug

Wake up and smell the Coffey?

Maybe not the most appealing slogan...
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,672

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

And your point?

You are kidding. If Truss attempts to fight an election campaign for the Tories now then they would poll in single figures.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,607
    edited October 2022
    Hmmm......

As Andrew Senteance points out Jeremy Hunt's new economic council seems dominated by people from the city. A lack of business and academic economists.
    DougSeal said:

No way Truss leaves before Christmas. No way. She’s gamed this well in advance. 4D chess. Trusst in the plan. She’s got vision while the rest of are struggling to find our bifocals.

Bit early to be totally slaughtered on the the old homemade ginger wine but each to their own. :smiley:

ydoethur said:

Have a punt on Hunt

Taste fresh Coffey

Penny for your votes

Redwood not deadwood

Finally Ready for Rishi?
    Shapps Slaps!
    Take a Punt on Hunt
    Badenoch is Goodenough
    Nifty Chishti
    Ravers for Bravers
    Give Tom a Tug

Alby Costa - he won’t costya
    Time for Blunt, not another useless person
    edited October 2022
    DougSeal said:

I’m still waiting for Mrs May’s genius 4D plan to deliver a soft Brexit.
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Have a punt on Hunt

Taste fresh Coffey

Penny for your votes

Redwood not deadwood

Finally Ready for Rishi?
    Shapps Slaps!
    Take a Punt on Hunt
    Badenoch is Goodenough
    Nifty Chishti
    Ravers for Bravers
    Give Tom a Tug

Yeh, morning breath does not improve with three Montecristos, five Newcastle Browns, and half a vat of Balti.

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    16m
    😔 There were two prime ministerial performances in the House of Commons on Monday, but neither of them were delivered by Liz Truss.

Mood in the government tonight is bleak. “This is not sustainable," one minister says.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,691
    DougSeal said:

So how does she manage PMQs this week and then again next week?
  • Believe that yours truly said it first, and here on PB:

Liz Truss - undependable support for whatever you think it is she's supporting.

But even I didn't realize that the Liz Truss Truss was guaranteed to cause catastrophic rupture in Tory support.

Not sure why.

If she falls as she will then logically the runner up candidate in a leadership election that happened only about 8 weeks ago should be leader.

He's the only one with a mandate which he gained by coming 2nd in the leadership race.

But everyone knows Mordaunt would have won had she made the final two.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 52,023
    mickydroy said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

And your point?

I want the tories gone as much as the next man, but believing in these polls at the moment, is a one-way ticket to the poor house, there is no way these numbers would be replicated at a GE, its almost certainly 2 years away, time enough for the right wing media to train their guns on their true enemy, the Labour Party, and as usual they will throw everything at Starmer, enough for the stupid and gullible to think, I will give the Tories one last chance, I still believe the Tories floor is around 30 %, but that could still provide a drubbing
    Labour will continue with their broken business model, always heaping more expenditure on the private sector to build up the public sector. Except, the past two weeks has shown they won't have the headroom to borrow. So it will be taxes on the private sector.

Nearer the election, they will have searching questions - on just how much extra tax.

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Have a punt on Hunt

Taste fresh Coffey

Penny for your votes

Redwood not deadwood

Finally Ready for Rishi?
    Shapps Slaps!
    Take a Punt on Hunt
    Badenoch is Goodenough
    Nifty Chishti
    Ravers for Bravers
    Give Tom a Tug

Yeh, morning breath does not improve with three Montecristos, five Newcastle Browns, and half a vat of Balti.
    Washed down with a couple of illicit antibiotics obtained on the old "family network"?

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,781
    MikeL said:

Hancock's good at getting people's behinds.

Starting with that SPAD of his.
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Have a punt on Hunt

Taste fresh Coffey

Penny for your votes

Redwood not deadwood

Finally Ready for Rishi?
    Shapps Slaps!
    Take a Punt on Hunt
    Badenoch is Goodenough
    Nifty Chishti
    Ravers for Bravers
    Give Tom a Tug

What she adds to the front bench, apart from ballast, escapes me.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,005

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    16m
    😔 There were two prime ministerial performances in the House of Commons on Monday, but neither of them were delivered by Liz Truss.

Mood in the government tonight is bleak. “This is not sustainable," one minister says.

Well, get on with it. Stop talking and start doing.
  • Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

And your point?

You are kidding. If Truss attempts to fight an election campaign for the Tories now then they would poll in single figures.
    Not so - alas! Don't underestimate how much party support is tribal. Party loyalists would return home on Polling Day and set aside much of the anger now being felt. The Tories would be trounced - but the idea they would be reduced to fewer than 100 seats is 'for the birds'. Much the same was true of Labour under Corbyn in April 2017.
  • eek said:

DougSeal said:

What are the odds that the PM does NOT show for PMQs on Wednesday? Guessing better than even?
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Have a punt on Hunt

Taste fresh Coffey

Penny for your votes

Redwood not deadwood

Finally Ready for Rishi?
    Shapps Slaps!
    Take a Punt on Hunt
    Badenoch is Goodenough
    Nifty Chishti
    Ravers for Bravers
    Give Tom a Tug

That menhir is not going to carry itself.
    carnforth said:

James Forsyth has suggested this is the biggest UK policy mistake since Suez. Honestly why do Conservatives keep going on about Suez? Do they believe the Empire would still be with us today were it not for Eisenhauer pulling the plug on us? The second Iraq war seems like a far worse mistake. And what of the enormous financial and property bubble pre-2008?

Neither am I convinced that this is such a national disaster. Embarrassing yes. Hunt has basically taken us back to where we were pre-statement. A ludicrous unforced error, yes but terrible mistakes are not ones that are easily reversed like this one. We do actually have an opportunity now under a new government to restore some credibility. With the liar Johnson gone from No 10 I expect a deal is possible with the EU over Northern Ireland. Don't forget much of the loss in market confidence has been due to the threat of trade war with our major trading partner. Gas prices are falling. There will be a painful rise in interest rates but the economy will re-balance and after 15 years of depression economics we might get back to normality.

Is the grass greener on the other side? Perhaps. But the US has big political problems. The Eurozone has major economic issues. All is not lost - yet.

This disaster is notable for not having yet been given a peppy moniker like Black Wednesday or Taper Tantrum. Probably too late for one to stick now.

Whether it is remembered will depend on that, and on whether similar wobbles overcome other economies in the next year or not.
    It's the Trussterfuck. But that's not a name Huw Edwards can use three times a week on the News At Ten for the next decade.

eek said:

DougSeal said:

What are the odds that the PM does NOT show for PMQs on Wednesday? Guessing better than even?
    Ukraine trip?
  • ihuntihunt Posts: 146
    interesting tweet from Elon Musk regarding the ukrainian war

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1581986552246603776?s=20&t=pAaHO2IC7bBRXlBMb8-fcQ
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,922
    tlg86 said:

Ghislaine Maxwell confirms the Prince Andrew photo with Roberts is fake. (ITV News)

Unless she faked it, how can she know?
    She’s in it
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,559
    Ishmael_Z said:

MikeL said:

KK got behind the PM, allegedly.
    A common enough rumour
    IanB2 said:

Not sure why.

Them's the breaks.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,691
    AlistairM said:

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    16m

The problem is that unless there is virtually complete consensus within the Tory party we end up with another leadership election and probably another inappropriate leader
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,161
    IanB2 said:

Not sure why.

It's a massive what if situation, had she managed that, but that element of it was pretty clear.

As for Rishi, he has negative mandate (as much as such a thing matters), as he was rejected by the Members, whereas the others even though they did worse than Rishi are more acceptable as failed candidates as they were not specifically rejected by members.

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Have a punt on Hunt

Taste fresh Coffey

Penny for your votes

Redwood not deadwood

Finally Ready for Rishi?
    Shapps Slaps!
    Take a Punt on Hunt
    Badenoch is Goodenough
    Nifty Chishti
    Ravers for Bravers
    Give Tom a Tug

That menhir is not going to carry itself.
    :lol:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

She’ll need a season ticket to Kyiv to keep her away
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,400
    ihunt said:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1581986552246603776?s=20&t=pAaHO2IC7bBRXlBMb8-fcQ

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/10/17/fiona-hill-putin-war-00061894

It’s very clear that Elon Musk is transmitting a message for Putin. There was a conference in Aspen in late September when Musk offered a version of what was in his tweet — including the recognition of Crimea as Russian because it’s been mostly Russian since the 1780s — and the suggestion that the Ukrainian regions of Kherson and Zaporizhzhia should be up for negotiation, because there should be guaranteed water supplies to Crimea. He made this suggestion before Putin’s annexation of those two territories on September 30. It was a very specific reference. Kherson and Zaporizhzhia essentially control all the water supplies to Crimea. Crimea is a dry peninsula. It has aquifers, but it doesn’t have rivers. It’s dependent on water from the Dnipro River that flows through a canal from Kherson. It’s unlikely Elon Musk knows about this himself. The reference to water is so specific that this clearly is a message from Putin.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,583

mickydroy said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

And your point?

I want the tories gone as much as the next man, but believing in these polls at the moment, is a one-way ticket to the poor house, there is no way these numbers would be replicated at a GE, its almost certainly 2 years away, time enough for the right wing media to train their guns on their true enemy, the Labour Party, and as usual they will throw everything at Starmer, enough for the stupid and gullible to think, I will give the Tories one last chance, I still believe the Tories floor is around 30 %, but that could still provide a drubbing
    Labour will continue with their broken business model, always heaping more expenditure on the private sector to build up the public sector. Except, the past two weeks has shown they won't have the headroom to borrow. So it will be taxes on the private sector.

Nearer the election, they will have searching questions - on just how much extra tax.
    It's also going to make Starmer personally much more cautious.
  • DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited October 2022

Not sure why.

That's a much more disgusting image than if they had a massive continuous boner.
    AlistairM said:

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    16m

i think the tories will dither now
    Sunak: hated by much of the membership for backstabbing Boris
    Hunt: hated by the membership
    Mordaunt: untested under real pressure

Maybe as i said before keep Truss as a figurehead hidden away most of the time with Hunt effectively running the country

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

And your point?

Not so - alas! Don't underestimate how much party support is tribal. Party loyalists would return home on Polling Day and set aside much of the anger now being felt. The Tories would be trounced - but the idea they would be reduced to fewer than 100 seats is 'for the birds'. Much the same was true of Labour under Corbyn in April 2017.
    What the 2017GE showed us is that a party can lose a lot of support during an election campaign if it's election campaign is crap.

Most of the time this doesn't happen because most of the time both sides are at least reasonably competent.

If Truss fights an election campaign over the next few weeks such an election campaign would be awful beyond compare.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,595
    edited October 2022
    IanB2 said:

Not sure why.

Actually I think Rishi could have beaten Penny. Penny had been through a torrid campaign of negative briefings and the Daily Mail gunning for her. They’d have continued to portray her as an evil woke bogeywoman and I think it would have given Rishi an angle to attack her on the right on social issues.

In fact what was amazing was that a lot of Sunak supporters seemingly couldn’t understand why Penny would be a better final 2 opponent than Truss.

Either way, I think Penny dodged a bullet. From the perspective of her career, the last contest was a good one to lose. As it is I think it’s highly likely she’ll either be Foreign Secretary or PM in a matter of days/weeks.

IanB2 said:

Not sure why.

Them's the breaks.
    Nevertheless her claim, after today's performance, is stronger than Rishi's
    ihunt said:

AlistairM said:

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    16m

Maybe as i said before keep Truss as a figurehead hidden away most of the time with Hunt effectively running the country
    Mordaunt was tested under pressure today. Membership deserve hunting down with hounds by Ramsay Bolton.
    edited October 2022
    ihunt said:

AlistairM said:

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    16m

She is becoming Viscerys from HotD.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,927

ydoethur said:

Have a punt on Hunt

Taste fresh Coffey

Penny for your votes

Redwood not deadwood

Finally Ready for Rishi?
    Shapps Slaps!
    Take a Punt on Hunt
    Badenoch is Goodenough
    Nifty Chishti
    Ravers for Bravers
    Give Tom a Tug

Some good ones, but you can’t have Punt on Hunt - I grabbed that one earlier

Mogg’s the dog’s…

Berry nice

It’s May’s day

• CookieCookie Posts: 13,307
    ihunt said:

AlistairM said:

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    16m

It's quite hard to keep a PM "hidden away most of the time". People will notice.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,285

IanB2 said:

Not sure why.

Actually I think Rishi could have beaten Penny. Penny had been through a torrid campaign of negative briefings and the Daily Mail gunning for her. They’d have continued to portray her as an evil woke bogeywoman and I think it would have given Rishi an angle to attack her on the right on social issues.

In fact what was amazing was that a lot of Sunak supporters seemingly couldn’t understand why Penny would be a better final 2 opponent than Truss.

Either way, I think Penny dodged a bullet. From the perspective of her career, the last contest was a good one to lose. As it is I think it’s highly likely she’ll either be Foreign Secretary or PM in a matter of days/weeks.
    Hasn't the past few weeks been evidence enough?

Rachel Cunliffe
    @RMCunliffe
    ·
    4h
    Seriously though, Penny Mordaunt is very good at this isn't she
    Brilliant strategy from Truss. You see, having deposed Kwarteng, Mordaunt and Hunt fight themselves for the top prize, exhausting one another, and LT emerges the unchallenged mistress of the Tory Party. She’s brilliant! Brilliant! The next GE is in the bag.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,927
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Have a punt on Hunt

Taste fresh Coffey

Penny for your votes

Redwood not deadwood

Finally Ready for Rishi?
    Shapps Slaps!
    Take a Punt on Hunt
    Badenoch is Goodenough
    Nifty Chishti
    Ravers for Bravers
    Give Tom a Tug

Come in for Coffey ?

Er, on second thoughts…

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

And your point?

Corbyn 2019 proves your point too.

Against your point is how forgiving voters are after 14 years. The fact Corbyn Labour got as many votes as they did last time is not a good omen for the Tory’s. Mid 20% for the Tories is quite possible, because what would be an effective pitch whatever leader they fight the next one on - they don’t seem United at the moment, they seem a party at war between at least three of four different understandings what their ethos and policies should be going forward.

Perhaps PB Tories and PB exTories should post less about what wins the next election, more about which ethos should win out and guide the party onwards regardless of next election.
  • DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792

Not sure why.

Or last as it's also called in a two-horse race. And a race in which both candidates were selected from a much wider field by MPs. That's why many members would not agree that he has a mandate.

• StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,922

Have a punt on Hunt

Taste fresh Coffey

Penny for your votes

Redwood not deadwood

From 1936 : Vote Hogg to save your bacon

Rachel Cunliffe
    @RMCunliffe
    ·
    4h

Journos are bored with 'Keir looking like the PM in waiting', they are moving on to 'isnt Penny great?'
    ihunt said:

AlistairM said:

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    16m

Yes. Problem is Figurehead hidden away most of the time's Questions every Wednesday.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,200
    It may be worth noting that Hunt has now breached the rule, long standing since the 1992 election, lost by Labour on tax issues, in which no party can say clearly and distinctly "taxes will go up". Hunt said it today. No promises. No sunlit uplands.

Is it possible this could lead to a small return to grown up politics on this subject. It has tainted and distorted party politics for 30 years, and led to that special sort of weird politicsspeak always used when the subject came up.

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

And your point?

What the 2017GE showed us is that a party can lose a lot of support during an election campaign if it's election campaign is crap.

Most of the time this doesn't happen because most of the time both sides are at least reasonably competent.

If Truss fights an election campaign over the next few weeks such an election campaign would be awful beyond compare.
    Fundamentally you cannot run an election campaign with Liz Truss as your leader. Every single promise will be met with:

1. How can you guarantee this won’t bork the economy? The stuff you did when you became PM did, so your judgement on these things isn’t very good.

2. How can you promise that you’ll implement any of this? Everything you promised last time, you rowed back from.

The very idea that you can put this PM in charge of an election campaign is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. I don’t believe the Tories will poll 30 points behind Labour in a GE when it comes - but if Liz Truss is still their leader, I wouldn’t bet against it.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,639
    dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

Not sure why.

Mordaunt, good candidate, no experience in senior levels of government, still being frozen out of that as Leader of the House, clearly the plan was to keep her frozen out of responsibility for years. At least Truss had experience - and revealed herself to be simply unable to step up and use it.
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Not sure why.

Them's the breaks.
    Nevertheless her claim, after today's performance, is stronger than Rishi's
    Opinion is divided.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,307

ydoethur said:

Have a punt on Hunt

Taste fresh Coffey

Penny for your votes

Redwood not deadwood

Finally Ready for Rishi?
    Shapps Slaps!
    Take a Punt on Hunt
    Badenoch is Goodenough
    Nifty Chishti
    Ravers for Bravers
    Give Tom a Tug

Alby Costa - he won’t costya
    Time for Blunt, not another useless person
    Peter Bone setting the tone
    Jacob Rees Mogg the sexy greased hog
    Sir Christopher Chope for stability and hope
    Priti please
    Wee Dougie Ross gives a toss
    Esther Mcvey, wahey!
    Andrew Bridgen gives your future a good ridgin
    Johnny Mercer your PM and purser and of course
    Mark Francois, c*nt
    After the 1997 election, someone at the Telegraph (probably Craig Brown, come to think of it) wrote clerihews for, ooh, 20 or so of the defeated Cinservative candidates.
    I enjoy a clerihew and wish I'd kept it.
    The only two I remember are:
    "Edwina Currie
    Left in a hurry.
    Edwina on the wane?
    Cinservative gain!"
    and
    "Sir Nicholas Bonsor?
    By God, he's gone sir!
    Not to worry because
    I was never entirely certain which one he was."
    Picking Truss has turned out like Santa subbing out Rudolph for Vixen on a foggy Christmas Eve

• Rachel Cunliffe
    @RMCunliffe
    ·
    4h

Journos are bored with 'Keir looking like the PM in waiting', they are moving on to 'isnt Penny great?'
    Penny is great!

She has my backing to be PM.

Rachel Cunliffe
    @RMCunliffe
    ·
    4h

Penny is great!

As long as I have a face, she will always have somewhere to sit.
    Farage called what has happened the last few weeks a globalist coup tonite

Rachel Cunliffe
    @RMCunliffe
    ·
    4h

Penny is great!

The nation is relieved to know it
    dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

Not sure why.

Ah, but this is when she’s gotten the job and tried to put in place her crazy ideas.

In a contest with Tory members voting, she was always going to win against Sunak. She was Liz “Trade Deals” Truss, the Great Brexit Queen [ignore that she voted remain]. Our new Maggie.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,781
    rcs1000 said:

ihunt said:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/10/17/fiona-hill-putin-war-00061894

It’s very clear that Elon Musk is transmitting a message for Putin. There was a conference in Aspen in late September when Musk offered a version of what was in his tweet — including the recognition of Crimea as Russian because it’s been mostly Russian since the 1780s — and the suggestion that the Ukrainian regions of Kherson and Zaporizhzhia should be up for negotiation, because there should be guaranteed water supplies to Crimea. He made this suggestion before Putin’s annexation of those two territories on September 30. It was a very specific reference. Kherson and Zaporizhzhia essentially control all the water supplies to Crimea. Crimea is a dry peninsula. It has aquifers, but it doesn’t have rivers. It’s dependent on water from the Dnipro River that flows through a canal from Kherson. It’s unlikely Elon Musk knows about this himself. The reference to water is so specific that this clearly is a message from Putin.
    Since Crimea has not 'been mostly Russian since the 1780s' it is *all* a message from Putin.

For the record - it became part of Russia in 1921, and did not become even substantially ethnically Russian until 1946-47.

• Rachel Cunliffe
    @RMCunliffe
    ·
    4h

Penny is great!

The nation is relieved to know it
    She follows me on Twitter, she has impeccable judgment.

It is my destiny to be her speechwriter.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 6,007
    Do Tory MPs seriously think it will make a blind bit of difference to the public if they unite behind Truss .

The public have made up their minds .
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,527
    What an absolute shambles. A struggle to take anything any of them say seriously. We have been humiliated on the world stage and pretty much every household is now worse off. This once proud nation deserves better.
    https://twitter.com/IsabelOakeshott/status/1581979473473572865

Oh, really?

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,420

Rachel Cunliffe
    @RMCunliffe
    ·
    4h

Penny is great!

Would you rather have her be PM now or LoO in 2024?

BTW is there a good summary of todays' events? I was immersed in work. How did Hunt and co get on?
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 6,007
    ihunt said:

Can’t Farage just FOAD or run along to his mate Putin where he’d be most welcome .
    Scott_xP said:

What an absolute shambles. A struggle to take anything any of them say seriously. We have been humiliated on the world stage and pretty much every household is now worse off. This once proud nation deserves better.
    https://twitter.com/IsabelOakeshott/status/1581979473473572865

Oh, really?

Tiny tiny violins are playing somewhere.
    ihunt said:

It does quite clearly show that what spivs, speculators, central bankers and failed politicians and economists in unelected global organisations think trumps government. Twas ever thus.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,005
    EPG said:

dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

Not sure why.

Mordaunt, good candidate, no experience in senior levels of government, still being frozen out of that as Leader of the House, clearly the plan was to keep her frozen out of responsibility for years. At least Truss had experience - and revealed herself to be simply unable to step up and use it.
    Truss was the most experienced cabinet member at the leadership election. She won and has proved to be incapable. Tony Blair had zero cabinet experience. David Cameron had zero cabinet experience. Cabinet "experience" really isn't all it is cracked up to be. Amazed people still don't get this.
    nico679 said:

Do Tory MPs seriously think it will make a blind bit of difference to the public if they unite behind Truss .

The public have made up their minds .

i honestly dont think tory mps have a clue what to do next....all options are bad
    Biden has some nerve criticising Truss's proposed mini-budget when his own fiscal incontinence helped to set off Fed rate hikes and global inflation.
  • Jonathan said:

Rachel Cunliffe
    @RMCunliffe
    ·
    4h

Penny is great!

Would you rather have her be PM now or LoO in 2024?

BTW is there a good summary of todays' events? I was immersed in work. How did Hunt and co get on?
    Penny handled a difficult hospital pass very well, Hunt is de facto Prime Minister.

It also led to the greatest news alert notification ever.

• stodgestodge Posts: 13,735
    edited October 2022
    Evening all :)

A gorgeous autumn afternoon backing losers at Windsor may not be Colorado but it's a world away from the machinations of Westminster.

I wonder the extent to which Conservative MPs now have buyers' remorse. Would a PM Mordaunt be in the same position as the current incumbent? It seems implausible - she came out swinging for her Prime Minister today and that display of "loyalty" won't go unnoticed.

Hunt did what we needed to do over the weekend and this morning (in concert with other factors) to stabilise and steady the markets but economically we seem in a different place from three weeks ago. As I said last evening, the Magic Money tree has been cut up and the stump burned - Prudence is back in the Presidential Suite and it seem the "compassionate Conservative" (a phrase I first heard used by George W Bush) is now in favour.

Whether the electorate will consider it compassionate or self-serving is another matter and the tone of Hunt's ominous warnings suggest prudence will dictate compassion is in short supply. This may not just be the reckoning for Kwarteng's absurdity but for the whole Covid response and post-Covid response.

Truss's behaviour today has been extraordinary - I cannot imagine any other Prime Minister who wouldn't have tried to come out swinging but to use Mordaunt as a human shield suggests a diminution in extremis. After just six weeks, her meteoric descent will likely end more in the manner of Chicxulub but whether the Conservative Party itself can survive the impact is the longer-term question.
    AlistairM said:

EPG said:

dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

Not sure why.

Truss was the most experienced cabinet member at the leadership election. She won and has proved to be incapable. Tony Blair had zero cabinet experience. David Cameron had zero cabinet experience. Cabinet "experience" really isn't all it is cracked up to be. Amazed people still don't get this.
    Experience is simply the most plausible way to make your offer. Blair and Cameron both had an offer, other than being on telly. Mordaunt did not.
This discussion has been closed.