Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Memo to the Tories: Look stupid, it’s the economy – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Expect some bishop bashing from the Tories.

Archbishop of Canterbury takes aim at trickle-down economics

It isn't just Joe Biden taking a public view on Liz Truss's trickle-down economics (see 9.30pm).

The Most Rev Justin Welby, who made critical remarks while on a tour of Australia, said that if rich people have money they are more likely to save it than spend it.

He argued that a better way to generate spending in the economy would be to put more money into the pockets of those who need to buy food.

"In the UK, the priority is the cost of living, with
    the poorest," he told the Guardian. "And from aneconomics point of view, I’m deeply sceptical about trickle-down theory."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/16/liz-truss-jeremy-hunt-new-chancellor-income-tax/

I always listen to old Etonians on fiscal matters.

bleating ninny.
    Maybe the old fucker can start off by donating Lambeth Palace and the CoE pension fund to the poor

You don't like that he's said it, you don't think it's his place to interfere? Ok fair enough.

But what he's said is certainly true.
    It probably is but I have a real problem with hypocrisy. There is plenty the CoE could be doing by example and leading but it's not. I find clergy who live in fine palaces and benefit from all the trappings of historical privilege pontificating about what's right and not right nauseating

Bishops should live in Palaces as befits their status in the realm, historically equivalent to peers of the realm, however unfortunately nowadays only a few like the Archbishops of York and Canterbury and Bath and Wells still do.

If we had more Bishops' Palaces again, we might have more high Tory Bishops again
    Why should Bishops live in Palaces and at the same time claim to help the poor

Hypocrisy from them and the church in spades
    Protestant Catholic split here in spades.
    Big G is clearly very low church
    You have no idea of my faith but certainly the wealth of the COE is in direct conflict with not only the way their staff live ( Bishops etc) but also the way they claim to be on the side of the poor
    No it isn't, the average Bishop earns about £40k, the average vicar about £25k and most of them don't even have the grand Bishops Palaces and Vicars Rectories they did 100 years ago either
    considering the responsibiliies bishops have (basically heading the church in their diocese -usually translating to a county) nobody does it for the money . Many are held in very high regard by parishes and a suitable house (which they only reside in but not own) is befitting the role and status
    I don't think they do it for the money. It just seems that the status could still be adequately reflected whilst still utilising the overall church wealth a lot more effectively for charitable and other purposes.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,175

Deleted. old news

Newly-selected Labour Parliamentary Candidate Chris Curtis, note.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It isn't just Joe Biden taking a public view on Liz Truss's trickle-down economics (see 9.30pm).

The Most Rev Justin Welby, who made critical remarks while on a tour of Australia, said that if rich people have money they are more likely to save it than spend it.

He argued that a better way to generate spending in the economy would be to put more money into the pockets of those who need to buy food.

the poorest," he told the Guardian. "And from aneconomics point of view, I’m deeply sceptical about trickle-down theory."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/16/liz-truss-jeremy-hunt-new-chancellor-income-tax/

bleating ninny.
    Maybe the old fucker can start off by donating Lambeth Palace and the CoE pension fund to the poor

You don't like that he's said it, you don't think it's his place to interfere? Ok fair enough.

It probably is but I have a real problem with hypocrisy. There is plenty the CoE could be doing by example and leading but it's not. I find clergy who live in fine palaces and benefit from all the trappings of historical privilege pontificating about what's right and not right nauseating

Bishops should live in Palaces as befits their status in the realm, historically equivalent to peers of the realm, however unfortunately nowadays only a few like the Archbishops of York and Canterbury and Bath and Wells still do.

If we had more Bishops' Palaces again, we might have more high Tory Bishops again

You have no idea of my faith but certainly the wealth of the COE is in direct conflict with not only the way their staff live ( Bishops etc) but also the way they claim to be on the side of the poor
    No it isn't, the average Bishop earns about £40k, the average vicar about £25k and they don't even have the grand Bishops Palaces and Vicars Rectories they did 100 years ago either
    You completely miss the point

It is nothing to do with how much each individual earns but the hypocrisy of the church and their staff

i dont see what is hypocritical? One of roles of the Church is to speak for the poor and downtrodden. Its also good to have alternative viewpoints from the state
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

bleating ninny.

No it isn't, the average Bishop earns about £40k, the average vicar about £25k and they don't even have the grand Bishops Palaces and Vicars Rectories they did 100 years ago either

It is nothing to do with how much each individual earns but the hypocrisy of the church and their staff

Why? They aren't millionaires
    The wealth of the church is obscene and it is utter hypocrisy for their staff to preach for the poor while living in Palaces etc
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

bleating ninny.

The wealth of the church is obscene and it is utter hypocrisy for their staff to preach for the poor while living in Palaces etc
    thats like saying the wealth of the National Trust is obscene - Its good to have financially strong alternative organisations to the state- As has been pointed out below nobody in the church is paid lavish salaries and its wealth goes to fund its charitable aims
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    @NadineDorries
    I cannot imagine there’s one G7 country which thinks we’re worthy of a place at the table.
    The removal of one electorally successful PM, the disgraceful plotting to remove another by those who didn’t get their way first time round is destabilising our economy and our reputation
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    Worth remembering how miserable the final years of the last moribund Tory government were, and the grim consequences - the Cones Hotline and Rail Franchising.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

bleating ninny.

Bishops should live in Palaces as befits
    their status in the realm, historically
    equivalent to peers of the realm, however unfortunately nowadays only a few like the Archbishops of York and Canterbury and Bath and Wells still do.

i dont see what is hypocritical? One of
    roles of the Church is to speak for the poor and downtrodden. Its also good to have alternative viewpoints from the state
    Totally hypocritical - "I care so much about the poor, it's so terrible but not so much that it is allowed to interfere with me living in my nice luxury lodgings with my staff and my stipend"

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066

Beth Rigby: "View settling amongst MPs that it’s simply not sustainable for her to remain as PM"

They're slow learners but they got there in the end.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

bleating ninny.

Bishops should live in Palaces as befits
    their status in the realm, historically
    equivalent to peers of the realm, however unfortunately nowadays only a few like the Archbishops of York and Canterbury and Bath and Wells still do.

i dont see what is hypocritical? One of
    roles of the Church is to speak for the poor and downtrodden. Its also good to have alternative viewpoints from the state
    Totally hypocritical - "I care so much about the poor, it's so terrible but not so much that it is allowed to interfere with me living in my nice luxury lodgings with my staff and my stipend"

Most of them don't live in luxury lodgings anymore, that is the point, yet they still help run foodbanks, homeless shelters etc.

I mean in the 18th century even a country Rector would have had a housekeeper and maybe a cook and a Bishop would certainly have had a Butler on top of that
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

@NadineDorries
    I cannot imagine there’s one G7 country which thinks we’re worthy of a place at the table.
    The removal of one electorally successful PM, the disgraceful plotting to remove another by those who didn’t get their way first time round is destabilising our economy and our reputation

I can't see why the G7 would give a damn about the removal of an 'electorally successful PM'. That's none of their business - we could change PMs every week and so long as it did not affect them why would they care?

She's projecting her outrage about it onto the G7.

And whilst she might claim the subsequent plotting is doing harm which the G7 would indeed care about, that doesn't apply to the outsting of Boris, since that did not cause anything like the disruption that Truss caused, so by her own logic they wouldn't mind.
  • Options

I see Biden made his comments about Truss while visiting an ice cream shop in Oregon to support the Democrat Gubernatorial candidate. Which tells me that the polls suggesting this might be a GOP pick-up are probably in the right ballpark.

Can someone tell me how that squares up with the view held by not a few on here that we should piling onto the Dems to hold the House or even the Senate?

Oregon governor is a "toss-up" says 538
    website.

There's a 3rd party candidate

538 have said that but the polls have give. the GOP several leads.

If this was an election where the Democrats had a chance of holding the House, this race shouldn't even be close. Nor should people be thinking that the GOP has even a whiff of a chance with the NY Governorship.

Doubt you've been paying much attention to NY State politics, including fact that current Democratic governor was NOT elected to that position, as she was Lieutenant Gov UNTIL her Democratic predecessor self-destructed and was forced to resign (sound familiar).

AND as Garth just pointed out, gubernatorial and other statewide races do NOT move in lockstep with federal races. True that they are related, but the relationship is modified by ticket splitting (for variety of reasons) which is common in US.

Certainly more common that most UKers can comprehend, esp. since you do NOT have as a rule more than one thing to vote upon in UK general elections.
    Funnily enough, I have been paying enough attention to the NY political scene so I'm up to date with the whole Hochul thing, how she got there eye even the shooting outside Zeldin's house..

The main - and original - point still stands. We were told the value bet was the Dems holding the House. How is that comparable with a good chance the Dems lose the Oregon Gubernatorial race and even that of NY?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

@NadineDorries

It says it all when you are quoting from Dorries, someone who is on the way to the HOL via Johnson honours

She like you are about to be marginalised as conservative mps take control of their own futures and appoint the few grown ups they have to office
  • Options
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

bleating ninny.

The opposite, not enough Bishops now live in Palaces.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

bleating ninny.

The church does a lot of good in the community and I'm glad they have the funds to support that. Our local church is absolutely central to the life of the neighbourhood, and the vicar works tirelessly for the good of local people and is an absolutely wonderful woman. It makes me very sad that I am an atheist.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

@NadineDorries

I can't see why the G7 would give a damn about the removal of an 'electorally successful PM'. That's none of their business - we could change PMs every week and so long as it did not affect them why would they care?

She's projecting her outrage about it onto the G7.

And whilst she might claim the subsequent plotting is doing harm which the G7 would indeed care about, that doesn't apply to the outsting of Boris, since that did not cause anything like the disruption that Truss caused, so by her own logic they wouldn't mind.
    When Italy were having constant government crises it did damage their standing - they were seen as a bit absurd and what their government at any given moment thought didn't have much long-term value. I shouldn't think anyone in the G& is particularly desperate to hear Truss's thoughts at the moment.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

bleating ninny.

Is it, though? A lot of the wealth is in forms that aren't easy to cash in (buildings that few others would want) or balance liabilities (that there should be a church in the future).

And flogging off historic assets to find current expenditure is something the UK has done waaay to much of in recent years.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161

Christopher Hope📝 @christopherhope

Are Conservative MPs putting in letters tonight even thinking about what comes next? What will members think?

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

Not sure Tory members are in a particularly strong position to get on high horse, after events of the last month.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Bridgen, Blunt & Wallis.
    I see Truss has lost the weirdo wing of the party. Admittedly there's a good few more there

If Truss is losing her own wing of the party, that's bad news for her.
    Those 3 were never strong Truss supporters AFAIK.
    It was a joke...... never mind.
    Sorry.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

@NadineDorries

On the plus side though - this is a country where her old boss can put her in the second legislative chamber for life in order to have her safe seat.

• Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,478
    If you are betting on US mid-term elections, there is one additional complication to keep in mind: organizations. Especially in states like Washington where the ballots trickle in over days. It doesn't require a big organization to have some idea of who your supporters are, or to contact them if they haven't voted, and election day is near. And you can hire people to do that.

For example, it seems likely to me that organization explains the survival of Seattle's Trotskyite council member, Kshama Sawant, in her 2021 recall election. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kshama_Sawant

• Options

Muppets revisited...

Exiled Sinner 🇪🇺 @Exiled_Sinners

Genius. Pure bloody genius.

https://twitter.com/Exiled_Sinners/status/1581592168644296704
  • Options
    Would Liz Truss be the shortest-serving PM if she goes next week.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

By some distance, unless you count a few 'disputed' PMs who never actually formed administrations.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

bleating ninny.

If we had more Bishops' Palaces again, we might have more high Tory Bishops
    again

The church does a lot of good in the community and I'm glad they have the funds to support
    that. Our local church is absolutely central to
    the life of the neighbourhood, and the vicar works tirelessly for the good of local people and is an absolutely wonderful woman. It makes me very sad that I am an atheist.
    You live in a different area than I do (wealthy) or my parents do (poor). In both these cases, the CoE does f**k all.

• Options
    edited October 2022

Christopher Hope📝 @christopherhope

Are Conservative MPs putting in letters tonight even thinking about what comes next? What will members think?

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

Not sure Tory members are in a particularly strong position to get on high horse, after events of the last month.

It's not fair to put it all on the members, but any MPs putting in letters obviously are thinking about what comes next, that's why they are putting the letters in - thinking looking ridiculous now is better than crashing and burning even harder later.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2022
    Reflecting a little further on Liz Truss’s predicament.

The thing that gets me is…. I don’t think she realised she was playing poker with the bond market. It’s not that she gambled and lost. She didn’t even realise the risk she was taking.

That’s astonishing ineptitude.

It’s something that Cameron/Osborne inherently understood. I think May got it too. Probably not Boris, but he deferred to Sunak as the finance guy who understood the stuff he knew he didn’t.

Listening to John McDonnell this weekend - he clearly understood the fears of the bond market when he was no2 to Corbyn and was mocked for modelling a run on the pound. But at least that kind of serious thinking was going on.

But Truss just didn’t understand the gamble she was taking.

She really is a fool.
  • Options
    I haven't looked at the Oregon election yet, but I can say that Oregon is closer to a swing state than many realize. (George W. Bush came within 0.4 percentage points of winning the state in 2000.) And that the continuing crime and anarchy in Portland is a strong argument for change.

(Fun fact: Bush did so well in Idaho in 2000 that he actually won the combined popular vote of the three northwest states: Washington, Oregon and Idaho. It didn't do him much good in the electoral college, of course.)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

bleating ninny.

again

The church does a lot of good in the community and I'm glad they have the funds to support
    the life of the neighbourhood, and the vicar works tirelessly for the good of local people and is an absolutely wonderful woman. It makes me very sad that I am an atheist.
    You live in a different area than I do (wealthy) or my parents do (poor). In both these cases, the CoE does f**k all.

how do you know- are you a church goer? For many a person it is comforting that the church will always be a place of refuge and comfort to them. That is very valuable for any community to have
  • Options
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

bleating ninny.

again

How often do you go to church services or events in church halls or the local community?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

bleating ninny.

again

Yes I'm sure it is highly variable. We do live in an unusually community-minded neighbourhood and the church is very much a part of that.
  • Options

If you are betting on US mid-term elections, there is one additional complication to keep in mind: organizations. Especially in states like Washington where the ballots trickle in over days. It doesn't require a big organization to have some idea of who your supporters are, or to contact them if they haven't voted, and election day is near. And you can hire people to do that.

For example, it seems likely to me that organization explains the survival of Seattle's Trotskyite council member, Kshama Sawant, in her 2021 recall election. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kshama_Sawant

True. Also note that campaigns & their minions can and do remove people who have already voted from direct mailings. Though there is a lag between when voters return their ballots AND they are received and thus recorded by election authorities.

In case of Sawant, she does NOT rely (much) on mail but puts her campaign funding (sources largely unknown) into hiring people to canvass for her. Have friends who live in her council district who get contacted multiple times during the year - even outside of election season, just to "touch base".
  • Options
    Well, this citizen of a G7 member thinks Britain definitely deserves a seat at the table. And, among the minority here paying attention to your political problems, I think almost all wish you well, and most think you will "muddle through" without too much damage. You have a pretty good record, we think.
  • Options

Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV
    ·
    1h
    NEW: Labour have demanded that Liz Truss come to parliament tomorrow to answer questions from MPs on the current economic / political crisis.

Keir Starmer - “The Prime Minister says she is in charge but the evidence this weekend suggests she is in office but not in power.”
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

bleating ninny.

https://whoownsengland.org/2019/11/04/gods-acres-the-land-owned-by-the-church-commissioners/

Lenny Bruce made the memorable observation that while Puerto Ricans starved in New York, Cardinal Spellman, archbishop of the city, wore a ring on his finger worth $8000.

Ouch! You don't get comedy (or oppositional politics) like that these days.

Edit: the above is not meant as an expression of contempt against all members of any church. There are undoubtedly many members of the Church of England, the Roman Catholic church, etc., who do a lot of good work for the poor, the despairing, and the downtrodden.
  • Options
    ping said:

The thing that gets me is…. I don’t think she realised she was playing poker with the bond market. It’s not that she gambled and lost. She didn’t even realise the risk she was taking.

It’s something that Cameron/Osborne inherently understood. I think May got it too. Probably not Boris, but he deferred to Sunak as the finance guy who understood the stuff he knew he didn’t.

Listening to John McDonnell this weekend - he clearly understood the fears of the bond market when he was no2 to Corbyn and was mocked for modelling a run on the pound. But at least that kind of serious thinking was going on.

She really is a fool.

PPE from Oxford.

The E must have been only one term.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Bloody hope so.
  • Options

I see Biden made his comments about Truss while visiting an ice cream shop in Oregon to support the Democrat Gubernatorial candidate. Which tells me that the polls suggesting this might be a GOP pick-up are probably in the right ballpark.

Can someone tell me how that squares up with the view held by not a few on here that we should piling onto the Dems to hold the House or even the Senate?

website.

If this was an election where the Democrats had a chance of holding the House, this race shouldn't even be close. Nor should people be thinking that the GOP has even a whiff of a chance with the NY Governorship.

Doubt you've been paying much attention to NY State politics, including fact that current Democratic governor was NOT elected to that position, as she was Lieutenant Gov UNTIL her Democratic predecessor self-destructed and was forced to resign (sound familiar).

AND as Garth just pointed out, gubernatorial and other statewide races do NOT move in lockstep with federal races. True that they are related, but the relationship is modified by ticket splitting (for variety of reasons) which is common in US.

Certainly more common that most UKers can comprehend, esp. since you do NOT have as a rule more than one thing to vote upon in UK general elections.
    Funnily enough, I have been paying enough attention to the NY political scene so I'm up to date with the whole Hochul thing, how she got there eye even the shooting outside Zeldin's house..

The main - and original - point still stands. We were told the value bet was the Dems holding the House. How is that comparable with a good chance the Dems lose the Oregon Gubernatorial race and even that of NY?
    Well, personally do NOT think the Democrats will retain US House, regardless of the betting outlook.

Which includes (as I feebly understand it) folks who stand to make money "selling" their bets that direction BEFORE the election?
  • Options

ping said:

She really is a fool.

PPE from Oxford.

Niall Ferguson did an episode on the bond market in his Ascent of Money saying all governments defer to it and it is the most powerful force .
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792

ping said:

She really is a fool.

PPE from Oxford.

Niall Ferguson did an episode on the bond market in his Ascent of Money saying all governments defer to it and it is the most powerful force .
    Bond market ~equals actions by the government's creditors.
  • Options

ping said:

She really is a fool.

PPE from Oxford.

PPE = Piss Poor Economics.
  • Options

Well, this citizen of a G7 member thinks Britain definitely deserves a seat at the table. And, among the minority here paying attention to your political problems, I think almost all wish you well, and most think you will "muddle through" without too much damage. You have a pretty good record, we think.

Yes. Though last PM that was (reasonably) widely known AND respected by Americans (though not the same ones at the same time!) was Tony Blair. And before that (in my lifetime going backwards) Margaret Thatcher, Harold Wilson, Harold Macmillan and (of course) Winston Churchill.

Anthony Eden was respected (I think) but as Foreign Secretary under Churchill NOT as PM in his own right.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    GIN1138 said:

Sunak was rejected by party members and he has to take his share of responsibility in the whole leadership election fiasco and Truss becoming PM in any case.

No.

He told the members explicitly what would happen if Truss enacted her plans.

They ignored him. Not his fault.
  • Options

Yes. Though last PM that was (reasonably) widely known AND respected by Americans (though not the same ones at the same time!) was Tony Blair. And before that (in my lifetime going backwards) Margaret Thatcher, Harold Wilson, Harold Macmillan and (of course) Winston Churchill.

Anthony Eden was respected (I think) but as Foreign Secretary under Churchill NOT as PM in his own right.
    Indeed, the Americans (quite rightly) forced Eden into a humiliating retreat over Suez.
  • Options
    Pls make him veep...

Aaron Rupar
    @atrupar
    ·
    7h
    Pete Buttigieg to Margaret Brennan when she suggests Democratic divisions killed paid family leave: "Hold on. But if even one Republican were prepared to support paid leave, we'd be in a different territory. So let's not let 50 Republicans off the hook."

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1581665340903555072
  • Options

ping said:

She really is a fool.

PPE from Oxford.

So you think that the PM skipped class THAT day? And likely many more!
  • Options

Indeed, the Americans (quite rightly) forced Eden into a humiliating retreat over Suez.
    True. BUT I was talking about the American public at large. NOT presidents and other highly-placed muckity-mucks.
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

ping said:

She really is a fool.

PPE from Oxford.

Bond market ~equals actions by the government's creditors.
    Indeed.

The way it is portrayed is a bunch of braces wearing hedgies betting against the pound rather than a load of Uk pension funds and foreign investors deciding whether to fund our national debt which is made far worse by our appalling balance of payments.

• Options
    ping said:

There was a story somewhere that said her advisors at the IEA thought the markets would reward them for cutting taxes
  • Options

ping said:

She really is a fool.

PPE from Oxford.

So you think that the PM skipped class THAT day? And likely many more!
    this is the episode - why did you not watch it Liz - induction training for PMs and CoEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBQaQq0m5BA&list=PLSP9UbXmBuqq2VIdj2JhYgjlYVWrWC2or&index=2

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Liz Truss ought to resign because she can't possibly carry out her political programme with Jeremy Hunt as chancellor. Carrying on as PM is just wasting everyone's time.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

ping said:

There was a story somewhere that said her advisors at the IEA thought the markets would reward them for cutting taxes
    yep. That was the fairy story they have all been telling themselves for decades.

The IEA and so on have had their fantasy economics theory tested in a real life lab and it has imploded.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

Well, you shouldn't be piling onto anything, but I'd be cautious about treating the Oregon Gubernatorial race as indicating anything about the national picture.

For a start, it's a wild three way race, with a former Democrat independent (Betsy Johnson) picking up close to 20% of the vote, while the Dems and the Republicans are both in the mid-30s.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,738
    The US mid terms look very unpredictable. There seem to be wild variations between pollsters on the generic house ballot , from GOP leads upto 7% , to Dem leads upto 3% .

The higher leads admittedly from more GOP leaning pollsters but still some of the more middle of the road pollsters have wild variations .

The turnout at the moment seems to favour the GOP , this highlighted by a recent Harris poll . Showing a 6% lead for the GOP in likely voters compared to the registered voters showing a tie .

There seem to be Dem struggles in normally rock solid blue states , equally some unusual poll results in more red states .

Currently the GOP look solid to take the House , the Dems favoured to hold the Senate but it’s still not in the bank by a long way.

One caveat that might give hope to Dems are the recent special elections which under estimated their vote , the Kansas referendum related to abortion was a real shocker and it’s hard to say just how much that issue will play out further away from the SCOTUS ruling .

Equally the elections seem less impacted by Bidens approval ratings which although improved since the summer are still in negative territory .

I think the Dems need to max out their early votes before the next Fed rate decision drops in early November . Gas prices haven’t increased as much as expected after the OPEC decision and in the last few days have actually edged down .

For political junkies here in the UK the mid terms are fascinating but also quite frightening. US democracy is sadly hanging by a thread with a swathe of GOP candidates who refuse to accept Biden won , and who could be voted into key roles overseeing future elections.

• Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200
    The financial markets are as likely to decide Truss' future as much as Conservative MPs. No confidence in the economic plan, which is now in reverse gear, probably extends to no confidence in the person at the top, whether the government reverses course or or not. Truss may hope Hunt is seen as a safe pair of hands, he probably is, but the market makers may keep piling pressure on until Truss is gone.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited October 2022
    Scott_xP said:

ping said:

Certainly true.

The idea was a shock and awe package of tax cuts which would *strengthen* the pound and leave the bond market impressed.
  • Options

website.

Dude: that would entirely depend on the odds.

If you offered me a million-to-one on the Dems, then even if they were polling on 20% and the Republicans on 80%, then you should take the bet, because there's a chance something could happen between now and election day.

On the other hand, if you were offered evens, you'd be mad to take it.

Right now, 538 has the Dems as a 29% chance to win the House. I think the true chance is a little bit less than that, given the history of what happens at first House elections of Presidencies and Biden's general level of unpopularity.

But if you offered me 7 or 8 to 1, I'd probably take it.

That doesn't mean I think the Dems are likely to win the House, it means I think that the real chance is slightly better than the odds.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Scott_xP said:

ping said:

yep. That was the fairy story they have all been telling themselves for decades.

The IEA and so on have had their fantasy economics theory tested in a real life lab and it has imploded.

No doubt Barty will be along soon to say that, like Communism, it was right in theory and just never put into practice properly.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

ping said:

Certainly true.

The idea was a shock and awe package of tax cuts which would *strengthen* the pound and leave the bond market impressed.
    It's a bit odd that she didn't get better advice on what would happen. A conspiracist might say it's almost as if it was a case of "never interrupt an enemy when they're making a mistake".
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

ping said:

Certainly true.

It's a bit odd that she didn't get better advice on what would happen. A conspiracist might say it's almost as if it was a case of "never interrupt an enemy when they're making a mistake".
    Perhaps the fact that she fired anyone who disagreed with her might be a simpler explanation?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Rishi told her what would happen...
  • Options
    nico679 said:

The US mid terms look very unpredictable. There seem to be wild variations between pollsters on the generic house ballot , from GOP leads upto 7% , to Dem leads upto 3% .

The higher leads admittedly from more GOP leaning pollsters but still some of the more middle of the road pollsters have wild variations .

The turnout at the moment seems to favour the GOP , this highlighted by a recent Harris poll . Showing a 6% lead for the GOP in likely voters compared to the registered voters showing a tie .

There seem to be Dem struggles in normally rock solid blue states , equally some unusual poll results in more red states .

Currently the GOP look solid to take the House , the Dems favoured to hold the Senate but it’s still not in the bank by a long way.

One caveat that might give hope to Dems are the recent special elections which under estimated their vote , the Kansas referendum related to abortion was a real shocker and it’s hard to say just how much that issue will play out further away from the SCOTUS ruling .

Equally the elections seem less impacted by Bidens approval ratings which although improved since the summer are still in negative territory .

I think the Dems need to max out their early votes before the next Fed rate decision drops in early November . Gas prices haven’t increased as much as expected after the OPEC decision and in the last few days have actually edged down .

For political junkies here in the UK the mid terms are fascinating but also quite frightening. US democracy is sadly hanging by a thread with a swathe of GOP candidates who refuse to accept Biden won , and who could be voted into key roles overseeing future elections.

I would make the Republicans very slight favourites to take the Senate, but it's very close.

My rough guesses are:

- Nevada (R Gain)
    - Georgia (R Gain)*
    - Pennsylvania (D Gain)

The rest holds.

It is - of course - entirely possible this is wrong. The latest two polls in Utah look like it might well be an Independent gain. Likewise, Fetterman's been fading a little in PA, and I wouldn't be surprised if Oz snatched it.

In Arizona, while Kelly is personally very popular, the Republicans are highly motivated to turn up for the insane Kari Lake in the Governor's race, so that could also be a Republican gain.

*But* if you offered me 2-1 on either the Dems or the Republicans to win the Senate, I'd bite your hands off. Because it's a very close race that could go either way.

* It is worth noting that Georgia could easily go to a run-off again. Indeed, this might very well be the likeliest outcome, given Oliver is likely to pick up 3-4%, mostly from Republicans.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    nico679 said:

Has that dweeb in a dickie bow shown his hand yet?
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2022

The irony is that Truss was not 100% wrong.
    Treasury / Sunakian orthodoxy is recessionary, and putting up taxes, when taxation is already high, is a paradox worth challenging.

It’s just that literally nobody but her, Kwarteng, and a few murkily funded “think tanks” believe that the solution is giveaways for the richest, paid for on tick.

Did you support (or would you have supported) Nigel Lawson's decision to cut the top rate of income tax from 60% to 40% in 1988? Because the reasons for that were pretty much the same as why Truss/Kwarteng wanted to cut the top rate from 45% to 40%.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Canning holds the record for PMs serving a single term, just 119 days. However, he died on the 119th day.
  • Options
    The quote from Nads upthread is revealing of the problem the Tories are facing.

She thinks the World is laughing at us for removing 2 PMs in a row.

She doesn't realise the World is laughing because both of them were crap.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    Andy_JS said:

Treasury / Sunakian orthodoxy is recessionary, and putting up taxes, when taxation is already high, is a paradox worth challenging.

It’s just that literally nobody but her, Kwarteng, and a few murkily funded “think tanks” believe that the solution is giveaways for the richest, paid for on tick.

Did you support (or would you have supported) Nigel Lawson's decision to cut the top rate of income tax from 60% to 40% in 1988? Because the reasons for that were pretty much the same as why Truss/Kwarteng wanted to cut the top rate from 45% to 40%.
    2/3 <> 8/9
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I am not familiar with the broader macro context of 1988. Having said that, I don’t believe in tax rates over 50%.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Canning holds the record for PMs serving a single term, just 119 days. However, he died on the 119th day.
    Thanks. I doubt she'll overtake him.
  • Options
    Here are the odds from FiveThirtyEight: https://fivethirtyeight.com/

And here are the odds from Politico: https://www.politico.com/2022-election/race-forecasts-ratings-and-predictions/

And then there are the possible surprises. Conservative columnist George Will recently wrote that Washingon state's Senator Patty Murray might be vulnerable this election. Someone (Mitch McConnell?) is spending a lot of money on TV ads attacking her and supporting the Republican challenger, Tiffany Smiley.) And Iowa Republican Charles Grassley had a close poll recently, with just a 3 percent lead. (Both are getting on in years. Murray was born October 11th, 1950; Grassley was born September 17th, 1933.

Despite his greater age, Grassley seems to be in better health than Murray. He runs every day, and is fond of challenging younger men to push-up contests. (Ifyou can't do at least 35, don't accept the challenge.) And for many years, he made a point of visiting every single county in Iowa -- there are 99 -- at least once a year
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    I note the Conservatives are around 23%.
    Crispin Blunt seems determined to lose that remaining 23%.
    He still has a tweet up saying the growth plan was the best thing since sliced bread ffsake.
  • Options
    Hypothetical: If it had not been for LDIs and the forced-selling death spiral they entailed, would Truss and Kwarteng have got away with the whole package? The market would have moved, future mortgage rates would have increased. The public may not have been amused. But would they have got away without u-turning? A fiscal failure but a political survival?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

He still has a tweet up saying the growth plan was the best thing since sliced bread ffsake.

Why did he call for Truss to go in that case?
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Hypothetical: If it had not been for LDIs and the forced-selling death spiral they entailed, would Truss and Kwarteng have got away with the whole package? The market would have moved, future mortgage rates would have increased. The public may not have been amused. But would they have got away without u-turning? A fiscal failure but a political survival?

No. The markets were already sliding on Friday and it became a rout on Monday.

This is before the BoE needed to step in.
  • Options
    Portillo sums up events quite magnificently.

If this were the US, “young Portillo” might be gearing up for a Presidential race.

https://twitter.com/gbnews/status/1581575581694558209?s=46&t=eJz5_DbN6e3U9Q5D9bp21w
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Crack cocaine is a terrible drug.
  • Options
    On the earlier topic of modern politicians being unable to express themselves properly, I just rewatched Trudeau the elder’s speech invoking the War Measures Act in response to Quebecois Nationalist terrorism. A masterclass. Hard to imagine anyone since Blair doing it this well here.

https://youtu.be/PHaoBD-eakk
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Crack cocaine is a terrible drug.
    Nomnative determinism rather suggests Majuarana in his case.
  • Options

Here are the odds from FiveThirtyEight: https://fivethirtyeight.com/

And here are the odds from Politico: https://www.politico.com/2022-election/race-forecasts-ratings-and-predictions/

And then there are the possible surprises. Conservative columnist George Will recently wrote that Washingon state's Senator Patty Murray might be vulnerable this election. Someone (Mitch McConnell?) is spending a lot of money on TV ads attacking her and supporting the Republican challenger, Tiffany Smiley.) And Iowa Republican Charles Grassley had a close poll recently, with just a 3 percent lead. (Both are getting on in years. Murray was born October 11th, 1950; Grassley was born September 17th, 1933.

Despite his greater age, Grassley seems to be in better health than Murray. He runs every day, and is fond of challenging younger men to push-up contests. (Ifyou can't do at least 35, don't accept the challenge.) And for many years, he made a point of visiting every single county in Iowa -- there are 99 -- at least once a year

The money being spent on Tiffany Smiley's behalf would be better spent IF it wasn't spent on the crap ads she's running.

For example, showing a picture of herself with Donald Trump - then one of her with . . . wait for it . . . Patty Murray! Also the one where she claims that Patty is anti-teacher, which is NOT (as the Seattle Times pointed out) what you'd call credible for most voters, including the swing voters Smiley REALLY needs.

However, latest Smiley ad I just saw is much better, features (alleged) Democrats and or serial Patty voters, saying they've voted for Patty MANY times, but will not THIS time. Message: the Senator has been around a LONG time; and reasonable people - not just Putinist wingnuts - are voting for Smiley.

Here is WA State, ballots will be mailed out to all active registered voters (except for some military ballots mailed earlier) this week. Including to Jim and yours truly.
  • Options
    Surprised to see that an anti-abortion Republican is ahead in the polls to win the Oregon gubernatorial election.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Surprised to see that an anti-abortion Republican is ahead in the polls to win the Oregon gubernatorial election.

Note that the Independent candidate for Governor is a pro-choice Democrat, Betsy Johnson, as is the Democratic nominee, Tina Kotek.

And that in most recent poll posted on 535 has Republican Christine Drazan at 44% so NOT an anti-abortion majority, even assuming all her current supporters feel that way, which isn't so.
  • Options
    Here's a great article on the batshit Republican Gubernatorial candidate in Pennsylvania: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/10/doug-mastriano-christian-nationalism-dominionism-nar.html
  • Options
    As people are talking Oregon polling, I would note a few things:

(1) Only one poll has the Republican candidate making it out of the 30s. Most polls have had her in the 33 to 38% range.

(2) The one that did show a 40+% score was from Clout Research (http://cloutpolitical.com/), which doesn't even use https. Its website doesn't really work properly (click on the menu items at the top and see nothing happen), and its news page seems to show that it has one done one poll ever:

Indeed, the firm only has one... thing... errr... ever.

(3) Said firm listed four people on it: PZ Wenzel, Fritz Wenzel, Alex Wenzel and Marty Gray. According to LinkedIn, PJ's dayjob is President of Ring, a political digital advertising company serving the Republican party. Alex Wenzel also appears to actually work for Ring. As, come to mention it, does Marty Gray.

My takeaway: yes, the Republicans could win the Oregon governorship, thanks to a split left wing vote.

But you probably shouldn't take the poll showing Drazan on 44% too seriously.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

As people are talking Oregon polling, I would note a few things:

(1) Only one poll has the Republican candidate making it out of the 30s. Most polls have had her in the 33 to 38% range.

(2) The one that did show a 40+% score was from Clout Research (http://cloutpolitical.com/), which doesn't even use https. Its website doesn't really work properly (click on the menu items at the top and see nothing happen), and its news page seems to show that it has one done one poll ever:

Indeed, the firm only has one... thing... errr... ever.

(3) Said firm listed four people on it: PZ Wenzel, Fritz Wenzel, Alex Wenzel and Marty Gray. According to LinkedIn, PJ's dayjob is President of Ring, a political digital advertising company serving the Republican party. Alex Wenzel also appears to actually work for Ring. As, come to mention it, does Marty Gray.

My takeaway: yes, the Republicans could win the Oregon governorship, thanks to a split left wing vote.

But you probably shouldn't take the poll showing Drazan on 44% too seriously.

Another Trafalgar?
  • Options
    Having too many beers in a country and western bar in Brooklyn, considering I have a 7am meeting tomorrow.
    Have I become Leon?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Here's a great article on the batshit Republican Gubernatorial candidate in Pennsylvania: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/10/doug-mastriano-christian-nationalism-dominionism-nar.html

This is before we touch on their puppy murdering Senate candidate.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    Cookie said:

geoffw said:

I went to King's Cross today and all I got was this picture:

Very clean.
    It's a clean machine.

Bah. Over-rated LNER rubbish.

Not a patch on anything made at Derby. Or Crewe. ;)
    Grrrrr.
    Weird how many of us have a disproportionate loyalty to our local 'Big 4' 1920s-1940s railway company - especially given for most of us it significantly predates our birth.
    Also, go LMS!
    For me, it's because I was born just outside Derby, and my dad used to get some jobs inside both the loco and carriage works. Sometimes he would take me into them on a Saturday - the people on the gate were perfectly happy for me to remain in the car as we drove in. I got to see lots of interesting stuff 'behind the scenes'.

The only problem was that I wasn't into railways at the time. Although perhaps it was inevitable that I would become interested...

Any large engineering plant is a fascinating place. I also got to go to JCB a few times, including for a couple of product launches (laser displays and lots of smoke).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Wikipedia describes him as far-right, which must be unusual for a candidate from one of the two main parties.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

This is before we touch on their puppy murdering Senate candidate.
    Where is Auberon Waugh when we need him?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Wikipedia describes him as far-right, which must be unusual for a candidate from one of the two main parties.
    He's a fucking Nazi. Only lacking the armband.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

He's managed to upset Pennsylvania's - normally very Republican - orthodox Jewish community, with his attacks on "the 2%". You know, the usual spiel about a "small cabal, the 2%, you know who I mean". Which they have - understandably - taken to mean "Jewish".
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

He's a fucking Nazi. Only lacking the armband.
    How did he get ahead of the other candidates in a moderate state like Pennsylvania?
This discussion has been closed.