Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A 2023 Truss exit now a 58% chance in the betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Scott_xP said:

“Something will need to happen as we can’t go on like this for over 2 years”, one level-headed Tory MP tells me.

Little over a month since Liz Truss became PM and already Conservative MPs are seriously suggesting she may have to go. What a turn of events.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1580289006905937922

And who do they think the members will elect in her place? Braverman? JRM?
    Going nowhere near the members this time. Coronation.

PM Wallace - if he can be persuaded it is his patriotic duty.

Likely he would have won if he had stood and been put to the members this summer. So the members will have to swing.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,873

TimS said:

Labour need to lay down a VONC. Tomorrow. Too good an opportunity to miss.

Nah. Labour want her in place as long as they can.
    I don’t agree. Tories will feel forced to support the government. Assuming they do, this drags every MP down with it. And great TV into the bargain.

If they don’t, then it’s a GE and there are few better moments for a wipeout than now.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,963
    edited October 2022

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Senior Tory & Truss backer tells me '22 was worst they'd witnessed for any PM

"There's a lot of Qs about Kwasi. MPs think he is a busted flush already. Maybe Liz'll have to make changes

"I feel embarrassed to have sold [the PM] as a safe pair of hands. I sold them a pup"

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1580276459154784256

Her first public hustings session showed the real Liz Truss. The worst of the candidates offered up.

Anybody who thinks that Liz Truss was a "safe pair of hands" should be seriously considering their career choice. Because we put the security of the nation's finances in people making that judgment call.

Tory MPs. What a bunch of muppets.
    Yes… and the party members (or at least a large majority of them) make the MPs look like savants.
    57% versus 43% of us who saw through her..... Not a "large majority".
    Tell that to us remoaners. :smile:
    I’m happy to add, present company excepted.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited October 2022
    TimS said:

Win win.

A ) General Election

Or.

B ) Liz secured in post.

Can you imagine a general election with Liz Truss at the helm after losing a VONC with a 80 seat majority? 🍿 X ♾️
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,039
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

@RoyalFamily
    🤝 The King welcomes Prime Minister Liz Truss to Buckingham Palace for the first of their regular weekly audiences.

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/status/1580269333582077952

"Can you give me any tips on how to boost my approval ratings?"
    Chas knows a thing or two about plumbing the depths of unpopularity... Not sure his advice would help Liz much though given it took 25 years just to become merely tolerated and he had to bump off his ex-wife too...

*ducks* ;)
    An utterly infallible wanker indicator, is that wink emoji.

*ducks* is also pretty reliable.
    I use that wink emoji quite frequently and I can assure you that I have never wanked.

Perhaps you meant an "... infallible winker indicator..."? :wink:
    You won't get any reply, alas. He's got the Moderator Pox. Dunno why.
    Was probably the comment about euthanizing radio head fans...nods
    Really? How tactless. Add some pineapple and the C- word and you've got a triple across.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

I don’t agree. Tories will feel forced to support the government. Assuming they do, this drags every MP down with it. And great TV into the bargain.

If they don’t, then it’s a GE and there are few better moments for a wipeout than now.
    No, there is still the opportunity for another Conservative PM who can command a majority.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    Con MPs should absolutely say this is an emergency and they are taking the election of a new leader into their hands only.

But if it has to go to the members then it's very simple - Sunak and Mordaunt have over 2/3 of the votes between them so they put them into the Final 2.

As they should have done first time.
  • Options
    I know this is Peston, but it might actually be true.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1580262987402616837
    A member of Truss's own cabinet tells me Truss's and Kwarteng's governance is so dire that some Tory MPs would vote against her in a confidence vote, preferring even a general election that cost them their seats to the current economic chaos
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    1h
    Tory MPs shld never hv got rid of Boris Johnson if they weren't willing to back his successor to the hilt.

They weren't expecting Continuity Boris to get to the last 2.
    She's much more like Continuity IDS.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,615
    Scott_xP said:

Lots of briefings tonight from Tories despairing @ 1922. How's the still pro-Truss camp reacting? Gov source: "There’s not much you can do at this point you have to prove them wrong. If they’re not ballsy enough to put their name to it and will (brief) in a very bitchy way /1

"anonymously, it’s pathetic really. They need to grow up. They don't have the balls to put their names on the record so shut up and go away in the words of Gavin Williamson who I'm sure is involved in some way." /2

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1580291565330698240

Quite.

I'm not sure who those bumping their gums about what a disaster their own leader is are trying to impress.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

Scott_xP said:

Extraordinary statement from a Conservative MP who attended the 1922:

“After tonight most Tory MPs accept that our current leader, given the decisions she took with the Fiscal Statement, can never provide the reassurance needed to arrest the loss of market confidence…

https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1580280661944201222

I wonder how may letters are in? It doesn't immediately matter if the 22 don't change the rules. But the 22 is a big part of the problem.

Perhaps Conservative MPs need a new iteration of the 22?
    The way the 22 set up the contest was shambolic.. Brady needs to go, and whole process needs massive reform. I still can’t figure out how the membership looked at Truss and thought “there’s my election winner!”
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,029
    Scott_xP said:

Lots of briefings tonight from Tories despairing @ 1922. How's the still pro-Truss camp reacting? Gov source: "There’s not much you can do at this point you have to prove them wrong. If they’re not ballsy enough to put their name to it and will (brief) in a very bitchy way /1

"anonymously, it’s pathetic really. They need to grow up. They don't have the balls to put their names on the record so shut up and go away in the words of Gavin Williamson who I'm sure is involved in some way." /2

Are there any MPs in the pro-Truss camp not covered by cabinet collective responsibility?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,479
    Jonathan said:

TimS said:

Win win.

A ) General Election

Or.

B ) Liz secured in post.

Can you imagine a general election with Liz Truss at the helm after losing a VONC with a 80 seat majority? 🍿 X ♾️
    Charles could invite another Tory to attempt to form a government.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    1h
    Tory MPs shld never hv got rid of Boris Johnson if they weren't willing to back his successor to the hilt.

Careful, I believe IDS could sue for that kind of comparison.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,251

Scott_xP said:

Are there any MPs in the pro-Truss camp not covered by cabinet collective responsibility?
    IDS ?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited October 2022
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Something's got to give I think.

Truss only survives to the election if there is a clear sense of having moved past the worst of the chaos and everything - inflation, money markets, energy prices, general competent government functioning - begins to return to something near normal, at which point Conservative vote share may begin to return, which gives her the opportunity to stay long enough to probably still lose at the GE but not utterly shellacked.

More likely though it's just going to be one continual crisis after another at which point something will be the straw that breaks the camel's back and she'll be booted out once the desperation reaches a certain point.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    1h

For the first time in my life, I feel impelled to defend IDS from a hyperbolic slur…
  • Options

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    1h

They do.

As long as the hilt touches skin.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

“Something will need to happen as we can’t go on like this for over 2 years”, one level-headed Tory MP tells me.

Little over a month since Liz Truss became PM and already Conservative MPs are seriously suggesting she may have to go. What a turn of events.

Likely he would have won if he had stood and been put to the members this summer. So the members will have to swing.
    How do they stop Braverman running and therefore no coronation?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Charles response of “dear oh dear” is utterly hilarious. Not sure it was all that wise to release 😂😂

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1580264025648431105?s=46&t=nTTewo43Z2NdbzsWySoOUw
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086

Scott_xP said:

New 1922 rule - you need the nomination of 200 MPs to be a candidate.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Terrible idea.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

"There's a lot of Qs about Kwasi. MPs think he is a busted flush already. Maybe Liz'll have to make changes

"I feel embarrassed to have sold [the PM] as a safe pair of hands. I sold them a pup"

Her first public hustings session showed the real Liz Truss. The worst of the candidates offered up.

Anybody who thinks that Liz Truss was a "safe pair of hands" should be seriously considering their career choice. Because we put the security of the nation's finances in people making that judgment call.

Realize that you and millions of other right (and left)-thinking people have been become sorely agitated (if not tired & emotional) and with good cause.

However, PLEASE do not vent your spleen and/or bile on innocent Muppets!

True, just jumped-up super-sock puppets. But seems they've got WAY more character & backbone than Tory MPs.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036
    edited October 2022

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

The provision for children's mental health is truly a scandal.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/oct/12/judge-approves-unlawful-placement-for-girl-13-at-risk-of-suicide

£9k per week for an unsuitable placement.

This is why there needs to be a cap. This will cost taxpayers 2.5million till she is 18. We cannot afford to spend unlimited funds on everyone. It is simply not possible. Yes I have sympathy for the girl but there has to be a cut off point for an individual where we say sorry no more.

Not trying to be callous merely what NICE and the NHS does all the time make cost judgements on whether things make sense to treat
    She'd be a lot better off being sent to an very good girl's boarding school than a 'therapeutic children's home' (even the term gives me the creeps) and it would be a lot cheaper.
    Sounds like she's probably be expelled from a good boarding school.
    They don't generally admit the severely suicidal.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    1h

That's odd because they were the only ones voting at that stage and they did put her in the last two.

• Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,802

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Like others I hear that the mood at tonight’s 1922 was very bad. I’m told MPs were “utterly shocked” by the PM’s performance. “From delusion to devastation — writ large on her face.” Feels like, if anything, her situation has worsened.
    https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1580265694750715904

I don't see how she makes it to Christmas. Nothing, but nothing, is getting better for her. With no prospect on the horizon either. I mean, the Kherson garrison could surrender, Putin could get taken and shot, his successor could pull troops out of Ukraine, the world could brief a massive sigh of relief, markets could have a massive uptick. But they have already seen structural problems that need to be fixed even if that 2% scenario played out, so unlikely she would be out of the woods.

Psychologically, she must be crushed. You have put the hubristic you out there for all to see. But your self-belief is shared by nobody else.

Far stronger people have been broken by that level of destruction of your world - in full view of the world.
    Yes, for her it has been a perfect storm. So many things - both her own fault and not her fault - have all come together, and her reputation has been simply shattered by it. She could walk on water tomorrow and people would not be swayed.

It might be no one could now face down this mess, much as May could not handle the Brexit divisions, but she's not even done so well.
    There is a question in my mind as to whether she understands and appreciates just how bad it is. She appears to be in denial. But it is a political failure, of the type we have never witnessed before on this level.
    It really is, and as I said earlier it is hard on a human level not to feel sympathy for her. She is just so utterly at sea now, I don't think there's anything left for it but to just bite the bullet and get rid.

For her personally it will be devastating if she leaves office so soon. I have never seen a politician so comprehensively trash their reputation two weeks into a job before. It is gloriously chaotic, but sad in a way. I hope this makes people think long and hard before putting themselves forward for the highest job in the land now - it is not an easy job, it is not a game, and it is not the place to go radical without a clear mandate behind you.
    Possibly. Truss was trying to do a Johnson or a Trump with the 'mini-budget', but unlike Johnson (with Brexit) and Trump (with the 2016 election), she could not point to any democratic basis for it.

At the time people said it was a 'high stakes gamble'. She has to face up to the fact that it was a high stakes gamble and it failed and she now has to own the consequences of it. But she comes across as though she doesn't accept reality and is determined to just linger on whilst chaos engulfs the economy and she just tries to blame it on someone else.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,626
    Funny old @IshmaelZ is banned?

I see he made a joking death threat earlier on, but it was clearly a joke (to me, anyway)

Apart from that he was less dyspeptic than usual
  • Options

Charles response of “dear oh dear” is utterly hilarious. Not sure it was all that wise to release 😂😂

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1580264025648431105?s=46&t=nTTewo43Z2NdbzsWySoOUw

It's either an innocent remark it was very unwise to release at such a time for the PM due to how it could be used, or Charles is a secret genius making an uninnocent remark which he can pretend is innocent, or it is open war between PM and monarch.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    1h

That's odd because they were the only ones voting at that stage and they did put her in the last two.

It was a tight run thing - she slipped in at the very last, don't forget.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666

dixiedean said:

Totally forgot it was PMQ'S.
    How'd it go?

Alarmingly for Labour, Starmer didn't do great....
    Really? I thought Starmer’s angry, joke free approach was just fine. The punch’s fell like on a boxer who shouldn’t be allowed to box on, with Liz robotically reaching for “we’ve done The Energy Price Guarantee” for every question not prepped for all the way through. It became quite bizarre.

Always a fun day when PM Truss comes out of her bunker to engage with the world. Her hair colour is far too light, no wonder she is struggling. I predict a turnaround when she darkens it, that’s always a difference Liz.

I’m stacked the next couple of days, but will deffo be on Saturday morning with a Lucky 15 🐎
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Londoners outside the Supreme Court back indyref2 over 'Westminster crooks' thenational.scot/news/23043552.…

https://twitter.com/helen91155348/status/1580283753263661056?s=46&t=JqZDbKABYXg4uCmV-rI_Og

A stunning intervention from The National, which will no doubt be enjoyed by its solitary remaining reader
    Quite a few PBTories and Unionists seem to subscribe to it.
    Or are triggered by mention of it.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

How do they stop Braverman running and therefore no coronation?
    A general election if she does....
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,995

Charles was about to say "I never know how much they record" I reckon.

Very funny. Looking forward to the Christmas speech: "try praying?"
  • Options

Jonathan said:

TimS said:

Win win.

A ) General Election

Or.

B ) Liz secured in post.

Charles could invite another Tory to attempt to form a government.

Truss would have to recommend someone for that to happen. She couldn’t. So we would have a general election.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064

TimS said:

TimS said:

Something's got to give I think.

Truss only survives to the election if there is a clear sense of having moved past the worst of the chaos and everything - inflation, money markets, energy prices, general competent government functioning - begins to return to something near normal, at which point Conservative vote share may begin to return, which gives her the opportunity to stay long enough to probably still lose at the GE but not utterly shellacked.

More likely though it's just going to be one continual crisis after another at which point something will be the straw that breaks the camel's back and she'll be booted out once the desperation reaches a certain point.
    Surely a confidence vote would be followed by an opportunity for someone else to form a government rather than an immediate election?

There's nothing to stop Tory MPs coalescing around a new PM. Sunak? This mess is all a consequence of MPs delegating the choice of PM to party members. No reason why the party leader has to be PM of course.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/oct/12/judge-approves-unlawful-placement-for-girl-13-at-risk-of-suicide

This is why there needs to be a cap. This will cost taxpayers 2.5million till she is 18. We cannot afford to spend unlimited funds on everyone. It is simply not possible. Yes I have sympathy for the girl but there has to be a cut off point for an individual where we say sorry no more.

Not trying to be callous merely what NICE and the NHS does all the time make cost judgements on whether things make sense to treat
    She'd be a lot better off being sent to an very good girl's boarding school than a 'therapeutic children's home' (even the term gives me the creeps) and it would be a lot cheaper.
    They don't generally admit the severely damaged.
    Lots of horseriding, lacrosse, midnight feasts, playing tricks on Mamzelle etc. will do far more good than some creepy home where they pocket £9000 a WEEK for mulching the poor girl in her own issues.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    1h

For the first time in my life, I feel impelled to defend IDS from a hyperbolic slur…
    Yes I'm 99% sure that IDS would have realised you can't announce some huge tax cuts, on top of a massive support package, without explaining the spending implications.
  • Options
    darkage said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Like others I hear that the mood at tonight’s 1922 was very bad. I’m told MPs were “utterly shocked” by the PM’s performance. “From delusion to devastation — writ large on her face.” Feels like, if anything, her situation has worsened.
    https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1580265694750715904

I don't see how she makes it to Christmas. Nothing, but nothing, is getting better for her. With no prospect on the horizon either. I mean, the Kherson garrison could surrender, Putin could get taken and shot, his successor could pull troops out of Ukraine, the world could brief a massive sigh of relief, markets could have a massive uptick. But they have already seen structural problems that need to be fixed even if that 2% scenario played out, so unlikely she would be out of the woods.

Psychologically, she must be crushed. You have put the hubristic you out there for all to see. But your self-belief is shared by nobody else.

Far stronger people have been broken by that level of destruction of your world - in full view of the world.
    Yes, for her it has been a perfect storm. So many things - both her own fault and not her fault - have all come together, and her reputation has been simply shattered by it. She could walk on water tomorrow and people would not be swayed.

It might be no one could now face down this mess, much as May could not handle the Brexit divisions, but she's not even done so well.
    There is a question in my mind as to whether she understands and appreciates just how bad it is. She appears to be in denial. But it is a political failure, of the type we have never witnessed before on this level.
    It really is, and as I said earlier it is hard on a human level not to feel sympathy for her. She is just so utterly at sea now, I don't think there's anything left for it but to just bite the bullet and get rid.

For her personally it will be devastating if she leaves office so soon. I have never seen a politician so comprehensively trash their reputation two weeks into a job before. It is gloriously chaotic, but sad in a way. I hope this makes people think long and hard before putting themselves forward for the highest job in the land now - it is not an easy job, it is not a game, and it is not the place to go radical without a clear mandate behind you.
    Possibly. Truss was trying to do a Johnson or a Trump with the 'mini-budget', but unlike Johnson (with Brexit) and Trump (with the 2016 election), she could not point to any democratic basis for it.

At the time people said it was a 'high stakes gamble'. She has to face up to the fact that it was a high stakes gamble and it failed and she now has to own the consequences of it. But she comes across as though she doesn't accept reality and is determined to just linger on whilst chaos engulfs the economy and she just tries to blame it on someone else.

All she needs now is for Andrew Bailey to increase BoE base rate by 2% “to protect the economy from Government policies “.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Londoners outside the Supreme Court back indyref2 over 'Westminster crooks' thenational.scot/news/23043552.…

https://twitter.com/helen91155348/status/1580283753263661056?s=46&t=JqZDbKABYXg4uCmV-rI_Og

A stunning intervention from The National, which will no doubt be enjoyed by its solitary remaining reader
    Well, horse racing is popular on PB...
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

“After tonight most Tory MPs accept that our current leader, given the decisions she took with the Fiscal Statement, can never provide the reassurance needed to arrest the loss of market confidence…

I wonder how may letters are in? It doesn't immediately matter if the 22 don't change the rules. But the 22 is a big part of the problem.

The way the 22 set up the contest was shambolic.. Brady needs to go, and whole process needs massive reform. I still can’t figure out how the membership looked at Truss and thought “there’s my election winner!”
    She held a Great Office of State, had no obvious scandals waiting to bring her down, and talked a good game on lowering taxed and emboldening NIMBYs, both of which are in theory electorally popular.

But really I think it was simply timing. The members used to love Rishi, but they'd turned against him and he was not exactly hitting it out of the park either to make them think again. Truss was both the 'change' candidate (new tax policies) and the 'I love Boris' candidate, so picked up support from both sides of the membership.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

They don't generally admit the severely damaged.
    Lots of horseriding, lacrosse, midnight feasts, playing tricks on Mamzelle etc. will do far more good than some creepy home where they pocket £9000 a WEEK for mulching the poor girl in her own issues.
    Less likely to get raped by a cab driver from Lahore, as well
  • Options
    darkage said:

At the time people said it was a 'high stakes gamble'. She has to face up to the fact that it was a high stakes gamble and it failed and she now has to own the consequences of it.

They bet the house on black and it came up red.

Except it wasn't their house, it was ours.

And now they are asking for a line of credit.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I actually witnessed someone but a hard copy once. White van man in a co-op.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I was just going to ask whether you were about and well - I don't seem to have caught your posts recently.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064

Scott_xP said:

Terrible idea.
    You know there will be lots of people who are going to think:

PutinGuy says terrible idea. Must be brilliant idea.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Round the time of the loo paper shortage was it?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

darkage said:

At the time people said it was a 'high stakes gamble'. She has to face up to the fact that it was a high stakes gamble and it failed and she now has to own the consequences of it.

They bet the house on black and it came up red.

Except it wasn't their house, it was ours.

And now they are asking for a line of credit.
    Could be worse, they could have also taken our stuff to pay off the loss.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Easy. They didn't want Sunak (raised taxes, too mean to Boris) and they didn't want Mordaunt (too woke).

The striking/scary thing is that the Eurosceptic Right landed on Truss as their standard bearer, becuase they were almost certain to get their candidate into the last round.

Remember that Neil Kinnock speech against Militant?

I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, and you go through the years sticking to that, out-dated, mis-placed, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end up in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council, a Labour council, hiring taxis to scuttle round a city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers.

The details of the grotesque chaos will be different, but the principle applies to Conservatives as well.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

She held a Great Office of State, had no obvious scandals waiting to bring her down, and talked a good game on lowering taxed and emboldening NIMBYs, both of which are in theory electorally popular.

But really I think it was simply timing. The members used to love Rishi, but they'd turned against him and he was not exactly hitting it out of the park either to make them think again. Truss was both the 'change' candidate (new tax policies) and the 'I love Boris' candidate, so picked up support from both sides of the membership.

There is an argument that if she governed as she campaigned it might have been OK.

While she may have told members "I will reduce your taxes", I don't think she told them "I will crater the economy", although Rishi told them she would

It would be interesting to rerun the members vote now
  • Options
    Leon said:

I see he made a joking death threat earlier on, but it was clearly a joke (to me, anyway)

How will Ishmael reinvent himself on PB now that he has reached the end of the alphabet?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    edited October 2022

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    1h

Wasn't the plan initially to get rid of Boris Johnson and have someone sensible and rational in his place though?

It all fell apart when they put Liz up against Rishi rather Penny or Kemi
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I was just going to ask whether you were about and well - I don't seem to have caught your posts recently.
    More pointedly, WHERE IS @malcolmg??

I miss the drunken shouts of "turnip" and "feck" from our very own Father McJack
  • Options
    Speaking of popularity of Liz Truss, will this be "highlighted" (in a manner of speaking) on the evening of November 5?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Terrible idea.
    You know there will be lots of people who are going to think:

PutinGuy says terrible idea. Must be brilliant idea.
    Those people would be idiots. And not because the ideas of 'PutinGuy' are always great, but because it's completely stupid and intellectually bone-idle to base your opinion on something on whether someone else approves or disapproves of it.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

You have just spent a couple of years on here supporting these very "muppets".

If they have lost the likes of you then it is an extinction level GE approaching.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,880
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

It does sound as if she needs a constant suicide watch. That is expensive procedure and not one that Cheltenham Ladies College normally takes on.

It may not be a permanent state, but clearly is more than short term. It is quite possible that she may get better with treatment so not possible to simply extrapolate to age 18.

It does show though what a parlous state CAMHS is in, as if we didn't know already.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,366
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

More pointedly, WHERE IS @malcolmg??

I miss the drunken shouts of "turnip" and "feck" from our very own Father McJack
    I hope,he’s okay. Not been around for a couple of months,

He was always entertaining and always trying to tip winning gee gees. Usually failing.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

The only reason it even exists is tthat the owners made the disastrous mistake of doing a Neil with the Herald and shifting it from middle of the road fairly balanced to near full-on Britnat and lost half their readers, so had to do something to try and get some of them back.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Incredible scenes on channel 4. Worth staying for the last five seconds of this

https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/1580282141329719296?s=46&t=JqZDbKABYXg4uCmV-rI_Og
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Round the time of the loo paper shortage was it?
    Now now

I think it's just the successor the Sunday Herald, which was the only paper to come out for indy in 2014
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Speaking of popularity of Liz Truss, will this be "highlighted" (in a manner of speaking) on the evening of November 5?

Well it won't be Kwarteng (though I think some in East Sussex would probably have the stones to do it).
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

It does sound as if she needs a constant suicide watch. That is expensive procedure and not one that Cheltenham Ladies College normally takes on.

It may not be a permanent state, but clearly is more than short term. It is quite possible that she may get better with treatment so not possible to simply extrapolate to age 18.

It does show though what a parlous state CAMHS is in, as if we didn't know already.
    CAMHS could use the £2.5 million - and many more £2.5 millions. The most underresourced part of an underresourced sector.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Scott_xP said:

If they have lost the likes of you then it is an extinction level GE approaching.
    Only two years?? (Seriously, was MM UKip or LD before?)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

I seem to recall him driving Boris's people around Dorset at one point....
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,198

Incredible scenes on channel 4. Worth staying for the last five seconds of this

https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/1580282141329719296?s=46&t=JqZDbKABYXg4uCmV-rI_Og

The eyeroll at the mention of the vile JRM. 😂
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

The only reason it even exists is tthat the owners made the disastrous mistake of doing a Neil with the Herald and shifting it from middle of the road fairly balanced to near full-on Britnat and lost half their readers, so had to do something to try and get some of them back.
    The Herald owners thought they could make some money by backing both horses.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Among other things a good friend who has been suffering/dying from MND for the last 2 years is reaching the hinner end. My appetite for wanking on on PB is somewhat diminished.
    Horrible. Sympathies
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Among other things a good friend who has been suffering/dying from MND for the last 2 years is reaching the hinner end. My appetite for wanking on on PB is somewhat diminished.
    I'm very sorry to hear that; I am sure your support is greatly appreciated.

And we are of course here for when your wanking appetite returns.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

The National doesn't officially report its circulation, perhaps because it is too low to measure. But it is rumoured to be around 6,000. Astonishingly small. It is about as widely read as The Skibbereen Eagle, and similarly self-important
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

How awful. Very sorry to hear that.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

CAMHS could use the £2.5 million - and many more £2.5 millions. The most underresourced part of an underresourced sector.
    Yep.
    There comes a point where simply not funding something becomes more expensive than just doing so.
    Schools are bearing costs they can't afford from kids who really needed specialist early intervention.
  • Options
    OK, with all due contrition, I apologise to IDS and the Muppets.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

The National doesn't officially report its circulation, perhaps because it is too low to measure. But it is rumoured to be around 6,000. Astonishingly small. It is about as widely read as The Skibbereen Eagle, and similarly self-important
    Does that mean much those days? With the net and so on. But it is a symbol of the damage the Britnats did to the Scottish newspaper industry, with the loss of the Herald and Scotsman as serious middle of the road papers. Edit: I'd much rather have those two back like they used to be. I used to buy both.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

MND is an evil disease.
  • Options
    Seven one.
  • Options
    Russian proverb: we are born in an open green field, we die in a dark forest

I get that sense at the moment. We are besieged by death, disease, and dire news, on all fronts. Of course part of this is the age of most PB-ers: ailing parents, dying friends, they come with middle age and old age

And yet the world is also FUCKED. The forest closes in
  • Options
    🚨Feels like time is running out for Liz Truss after tonight's 1922 Committee meeting.

🔥 One MP said: "She was crap."

🔥 Another added: "She was wooden, cardboard, lacking in empathy. It’s very bleak."

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/liz-truss-1922-committee-showdown_uk_63470b22e4b0b7f89f52758c
  • Options
    Leon said:

Russian proverb: we are born in an open green field, we die in a dark forest

I get that sense at the moment. We are besieged by death, disease, and dire news, on all fronts. Of course part of this is the age of most PB-ers: ailing parents, dying friends, they come with middle age and old age

And yet the world is also FUCKED. The forest closes in

It's a time of rapid change. That's exciting.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Alex Jones ordered to pay $965M in damages to Sandy Hook familes.

Bankruptcy application in 5..4...3...2...1...

https://news.sky.com/story/alex-jones-us-conspiracy-theorist-ordered-to-pay-965m-to-sandy-hook-massacre-victims-he-defamed-12718985
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

🚨Feels like time is running out for Liz Truss after tonight's 1922 Committee meeting.

🔥 Another added: "She was wooden, cardboard, lacking in empathy. It’s very bleak."

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/liz-truss-1922-committee-showdown_uk_63470b22e4b0b7f89f52758c

Sliced onions.
  • Options
  • Options
    Acid from Bryant.
    Liz Truss has one roll of the dice left, calling a general election to secure a mandate for her government. She likes a gamble…
    https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1580299884057350145
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    edited October 2022
    Gavin Williamson to be the post wipeout next Tory leader? One of the very few with a safe enough seat to survive a Canada '93. I can see it now: calling a cab to take his MPs to the HoC.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

I seem to recall him driving Boris's people around Dorset at one point....
    Devon please.

His wife and his dog. (Which was great for some gossip...the things that dog had to say!)
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Horrible. Sympathies
    Thanks.
    I had to write a very difficult text this morning to him, in effect a farewell, as he has gone into a hospice where he’ll be sedated as he dies due to them withdrawing the respirator on which he’s become dependent. Grim and sad.
    Commiserations.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Lizpeptic
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Scott_xP said:

But they knew how terrible she was so why put her up against Sunak? If Rishi manipulated it so she'd end up on the final ballot to boost his own chances with the members then he must take his share of the blame?

Hopefully they rally round Penny and Truss/Sunak are both consigned to the backbenches.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Does that mean much those days? With the net and so on. But it is a symbol of the damage the Britnats did to the Scottish newspaper industry, with the loss of the Herald and Scotsman as serious middle of the road papers. Edit: I'd much rather have those two back like they used to be. I used to buy both.
    As a part time journalist with the Knappers Gazette, I never applaud the demise or failure of any newspaper. I'd like to see the National selling 100,000 and the Scotsman 500,000

There are some hopeful signs that the eternal decline is being halted, and even reversed. The Spectator, as I have mentioned, by skilful use of brilliant writers, has quintupled its readership in 30 years, and now makes proper money

The New York Times and the Times (to a lesser extent) have shown that sub/paywall models work

People want to read news, and they are now willing to pay for it. The key is quality. It has to be news you can't get anywhere else, either because it is delivered so fast, or written so well, or provides unique info

• Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

The Herald owners thought they could make some money by backing both horses.
    I do find Andrew Tickell interesting, though.
  • Options
    A semi skilled politician would have recovered from the special budget by now. Somehow Truss contrives to keep it all going and makes it worse. It’s quite impressive.

The ‘not me gov’ line is almost as damaging as the u turn which itself was almost as bad as the original error.
  • Options
    Democrats issue fresh ultimatum to Saudi Arabia over oil production

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/12/us-democrats-threaten-saudi-arabia-with-arms-freeze-over-oil-output
    Democrats in the US Congress have issued a fresh ultimatum to Saudi Arabia, giving the kingdom weeks to reverse an Opec+ decision to roll back oil production or face a potential one-year freeze on all arms sales.

The threat came as Joe Biden reiterated his pledge to take action over Riyadh’s decision last week to cut oil output by 2m barrels a day, which Democrats have said would help “fuel Vladimir Putin’s war machine” and hurt American consumers at the petrol pump.

The White House national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, told reporters the US president was also looking at a possible halt in arms sales as part of a broader re-evaluation of the US relationship with Saudi Arabia, but that no move was imminent...
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Horrible. Sympathies
    Thanks.
    I had to write a very difficult text this morning to him, in effect a farewell, as he has gone into a hospice where he’ll be sedated as he dies due to them withdrawing the respirator on which he’s become dependent. Grim and sad.
    That's unspeakably sad. I'm sorry
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    dixiedean said:

Seven one.

At least there's something to cheer up Theuniondivvie
This discussion has been closed.