Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The reality for lower income people vs people earning £155k and over – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Interesting phrasing from GlosCCC:

A second win on the bounce for Dale Benkenstein’s side wouldn’t be enough to save them from the drop, but would mean ending the season on a high as attentions turn to bouncing straight back up from Division Two next season.

Sounds like they have already worked out the Strauss review is going nowhere...

I’ll be watching on YouTube tomorrow. my dad is going to the ground with friends.

Soundly beating minor county west for a second time should quieten their noisy supporters on here. 😌

Edit. To actually answer your question, Strauss plan wouldn’t happen till 2024, so how do they choose the super 6 from next years two divisions? Any div 2 promotion is about 5 relegated?
    It would be four
    relegated and randomly divided into conferences with the 8 division two counties, I assume.

But that's one of the details they clearly haven't thought of.

Along with reality, fiscal probity and the large swathes of th country they would strip of top level cricket.

(I was doing some sums yesterday. In order to cover the same amount of the population that lives in Australia's six Sheffield Shield cities, you would have to have 35 first class cricket teams in England and Wales. You get right down
    to Swindon before you have comparable numbers.)
    Tbf they’re Sheffield Shield states, not cities

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,497

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

A second win on the bounce for Dale Benkenstein’s side wouldn’t be enough to save them from the drop, but would mean ending the season on a high as attentions turn to bouncing straight back up from Division Two next season.

Hard to get a Handel on what's going to happen. Sure if they do drop, they'll be Bach.
    Don’t know why you started composing those puns in our cricket thread. I would ask, but Ives gotta go to bed.

Yorkshire only need ten points from the match to stay up.
    And not to be bankrupted by Gale's payout (whatever has been decided it won't be cheap). Or penalised by the ECB.
    One sad note, is Patto’s last game after not being retained.
    He might not be the only one. Even before this kicked off there were rumours about Yorkshire's finances. I fear it will be a very difficult winter for them.
  • I see Angela had great fun tearing into the clown show and its new edition.

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,140

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

ping said:

PeterM said:

Leon said:

PeterM said:

Reading what leon said about how accommodation now expensive in usa
    Looking at booking.com
    1 night in manhattan mid oct
    Cheapest hotel round £350 per night average around £550 per night
    Los angeles mid october
    Bog standard hotel in santa monica around £500 per night
    These prices price out much of the uk middle class from the usa
    Pound dollar exchange rate is killing us here

It’s not just the exchange rate, it’s a surge in wages for US hospitality staff, post Covid, as the bosses can’t find the workers

Americans themselves are bemoaning these appalling prices - another reason so many of them in Europe
    Yeah a couple of 2.
    Week in usa
    Flights around £ 1000
    Accomodation if staying near major metro areas...lets say they are frugal pay £400 per night £2800
    Spending Again assume frugal so £150 per day
    Total cost £5000 for week
    Average joe in uk unlikely to pay that
    Hmm. Excuse my ignorance - I don’t follow the type of websites and forums where I’m sure this sort of thing is discussed in depth, but…

Are there still cheap options? Like, I dunno, renting an RV and driving around Yellowstone? If it’s just accommodation that is the stinger, then there are ways around it if you’re flexible, surely?
    RV rental is extortionate, and then there’s the pitch charges in campgrounds. Motels still by far the cheapest options.

We were thinking of a US road trip next year but decided not to because of the exchange rate. Doing Georgia instead.
    Yes: RV rental rates are insane - often rivaling Five Star hotels once you include insurance and hook up fees
    The people paying those rates must be system addicts.
    RVs became incredibly popular during the pandemic, as you could travel and have a holiday, without braving airports and the like.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,415
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

A pointless and damaging battle for the monarchy to engage in. Footage will out, they may as well let all of it be free for anyone to use.
    The media had full live coverage of the lying in state, the memorial services, the funeral and for the first time, the accession council.

However the archive records are copyright of the Crown and it is up to the Crown how it wishes to allow the archive footage to be used
    Glad we can dispense with the fatuous notion that the out of touch, privilege addicted throne warmers are at the service of the country and its people rather than the reverse.
    Over the past 2 weeks we have had nothing but whinging from republicans like you that there has been far too much live coverage of the period of mourning for the Queen, the lying in state and funeral.

So don't you dare turn round now and have the cheek and hypocrisy to say there will not be enough archive footage of it available which you would never watch anyway!!
    What evidence do you have for the strange assertion that the Crown owns the copyright on (eg) the BBC’s coverage of the funeral ?

And if the national broadcaster, funded by us, spent an entire fortnight almost exclusively using those resources to produce what was at least partly an extended PR exercise on behalf of the Crown, why should the BBC not be able to use the resulting archive ?
    Well the obvious evidence for the assertion is the story itself. If they had no such rights then the story would have no basis, and the broadcasters wouldn't allegedly be muttering about it.
    Copyright isn’t mentioned in the piece,
    It sounds like the monarchy expecting a deference so broad that they should be told to shove it, as a matter of principle.

… One particular bone of contention is the palace’s assertion that it has a veto over the use of footage of King Charles III’s accession council. This was the lengthy event where the new monarch was formally proclaimed in a televised ceremony involving leading politicians, overseen by Penny Mordaunt.

Broadcasters have been told they are allowed to retain a maximum of 12 minutes of footage from this constitutionally important occasion. Longer clips would need to be a cleared with the royal household...

As I’ve said before, I’m not a republican, but sheer arrogance like this leads me to think about reconsidering that.
    Given most of your posts on the monarchy here have been whinging ones like this I think the idea you are not a republican already is debateable.

No previous monarch has allowed coverage of the accession council at all, either live or archived, so the broadcasters should count themselves lucky they got any. They got full live coverage and 12 minutes of archive
    “Count themselves lucky”…
    That’s the kind of cringing attitude towards what is supposed to be a constitutional monarchy, subject to Parliament, that I was criticising.
    The public watched it live, the monarchy has no obligation to give the broadcasters unrestricted archive
    It’s not theirs to give.
    Yes it is based on the contract broadcasters were given to cover it
    What contract ?
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

ping said:

PeterM said:

Leon said:

PeterM said:

Looking at booking.com
    Los angeles mid october

It’s not just the exchange rate, it’s a surge in wages for US hospitality staff, post Covid, as the bosses can’t find the workers

Americans themselves are bemoaning these appalling prices - another reason so many of them in Europe
    Yeah a couple of 2.
    Week in usa
    Flights around £ 1000
    Accomodation if staying near major metro areas...lets say they are frugal pay £400 per night £2800
    Hmm. Excuse my ignorance - I don’t follow the type of websites and forums where I’m sure this sort of thing is discussed in depth, but…

Are there still cheap options? Like, I dunno, renting an RV and driving around Yellowstone? If it’s just accommodation that is the stinger, then there are ways around it if you’re flexible, surely?
    RV rental is extortionate, and then there’s the pitch charges in campgrounds. Motels still by far the cheapest options.

We were thinking of a US road trip next year but decided not to because of the exchange rate. Doing Georgia instead.
    Yes: RV rental rates are insane - often rivaling Five Star hotels once you include insurance and hook up fees
    Hook up fees ….?
    At RV Parks, you want a space to park, and to plug into their power and water systems.

In fancy locations (like National Parks), you can be paying $100+ night for your parking spot.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Hard to get a Handel on what's going to happen. Sure if they do drop, they'll be Bach.
    I think that they are on a Haydn to nothing myself.
    They failed to parry the enormous number of questions they were asked.
    They were quite clearly cruising fauré bruising.
    Their own fault, they are the ones whose actions with the Hundred saw the feathers Duruflé in the first place.
    If they don't want their feathers ruffled, they should stay inside the Byrd Cage.
  • SO what is prospect for pound, when markets open on Monday?
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

ping said:

PeterM said:

Leon said:

PeterM said:

Looking at booking.com
    Los angeles mid october

Yeah a couple of 2.
    Week in usa
    Flights around £ 1000

Hook up fees ….?
    At RV Parks, you want a space to park, and to plug into their power and water systems.

In fancy locations (like National Parks), you can be paying $100+ night for your parking spot.
    $120 for a happy ending.
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

ping said:

PeterM said:

Leon said:

PeterM said:

Looking at booking.com
    Los angeles mid october

Yeah a couple of 2.
    Week in usa
    Flights around £ 1000

Hook up fees ….?

Sorry, I forgot to include with my question … 😏
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Their own fault, they are the ones whose actions with the Hundred saw the feathers Duruflé in the first place.
    If they don't want their feathers ruffled, they should stay inside the Byrd Cage.
    You Bennett it again?

SO what is prospect for pound, when markets open on Monday?

The pounding will be heavy.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

It took me 4 minutes and 33 seconds to work that one out

The abyss.

FTSE is also going to be sell, sell, sell.

Black Monday is my prediction. Carnage.

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

I look forward to hearing a full length piece from you.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,200
    rcs1000 said:

Someone was commenting on hotel costs in the US, and had come up with £350/night if near a major metropolitan area and "are being frugal".

I don't actually think that's true.

I mean it may be true if you're staying in Manhattan or Santa Monica or Beverly Hills, but it's not true in general.

I've stayed at the acceptable but non-luxurious Ocean Park Inn in Santa Monica for about $160 per night. It's a couple of stops on the Big Blue Bus, or an $8 Uber, or a long walk, from the Pier. And of course, if you have a car, no problem at all.
    edited September 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

This is just a prelude?
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,743
    Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Strauss’s review is waltzing off into the sunset.
    In April of this year, my family went to the DC area for a six night holiday. We rented a three bedroom house over the river in Arlington, and very close to a supermarket and the Metro.

We spent $140/night for the four of us. We got cereal and tea and milk (and a bottle of red wine) for a few tens of dollars from the Giant supermarket over the road.

We went to the Air & Space Museum and a ton of galleries. I also rented a car for three days ($80/day on Turo) so we could visit friends in Virginia and to see some battlefields outisde the city. We also ate out almost every evening. Mostly we walked or took the Metro, but we probably also took a few Ubers.

Our total expense, pre-flights, was in the $2-2,500 range. But that is for four of us. And I wasn't noticeably skimping. So not cheap. But not the bare minimum £5k for two that was posited earlier.
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

This is just a prelude?
    Would you like my Phillip Glass pun?

The abyss.

Sitting on my cash molehill, feeling kinda Bring It On.

https://www.ig.com/uk/

seems to expect FTSE to open 23 points higher.

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

This is just a prelude?
    That's more of a fugue.
  • rcs1000 said:

In April of this year, my family went to the DC area for a six night holiday. We rented a three bedroom house over the river in Arlington, and very close to a supermarket and the Metro.

We spent $140/night for the four of us. We got cereal and tea and milk (and a bottle of red wine) for a few tens of dollars from the Giant supermarket over the road.

We went to the Air & Space Museum and a ton of galleries. I also rented a car for three days ($80/day on Turo) so we could visit friends in Virginia and to see some battlefields outisde the city. We also ate out almost every evening. Mostly we walked or took the Metro, but we probably also took a few Ubers.

Our total expense, pre-flights, was in the $2-2,500 range. But that is for four of us. And I wasn't noticeably skimping. So not cheap. But not the bare minimum £5k for two that was posited earlier.

So what battlefields did you see?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,607

The abyss.

I disagree - the biggest anti-climax since Kwarteng's fiscal statement on Friday.

Seriously, I expect all markets to claw back some of Friday's losses - Australia and Asia to provide early clues.
    stodge said:

The abyss.

I disagree - the biggest anti-climax since Kwarteng's fiscal statement on Friday.

Seriously, I expect all markets to claw back some of Friday's losses - Australia and Asia to provide early clues.
    Brief and dickless relief rally, then gotterdammerung.

Just watch.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452

rcs1000 said:

The US Capitol? Camp Marks?
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

This is just a prelude?
    That's more of a fugue.
    Truth is I like Phillip Glass music, some of it is very beautiful, like facades and closing. It’s all about the inflection in the music isn’t it - Is this really as minimalist as Steve Reich? When we done a video of our art exhibition it was my idea to use facades.

Surely I am not alone in liking Phillip Glass?

The abyss.

One almost feels sorry for Liz.

Almost.
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

A pointless and damaging battle for the monarchy to engage in. Footage will out, they may as well let all of it be free for anyone to use.
    The media had full live coverage of the lying in state, the memorial services, the funeral and for the first time, the accession council.

However the archive records are copyright of the Crown and it is up to the Crown how it wishes to allow the archive footage to be used
    Glad we can dispense with the fatuous notion that the out of touch, privilege addicted throne warmers are at the service of the country and its people rather than the reverse.
    Over the past 2 weeks we have had nothing but whinging from republicans like you that there has been far too much live coverage of the period of mourning for the Queen, the lying in state and funeral.

So don't you dare turn round now and have the cheek and hypocrisy to say there will not be enough archive footage of it available which you would never watch anyway!!
    What evidence do you have for the strange assertion that the Crown owns the copyright on (eg) the BBC’s coverage of the funeral ?

And if the national broadcaster, funded by us, spent an entire fortnight almost exclusively using those resources to produce what was at least partly an extended PR exercise on behalf of the Crown, why should the BBC not be able to use the resulting archive ?
    Well the obvious evidence for the assertion is the story itself. If they had no such rights then the story would have no basis, and the broadcasters wouldn't allegedly be muttering about it.
    It sounds like the monarchy expecting a deference so broad that they should be told to shove it, as a matter of principle.

… One particular bone of contention is the palace’s assertion that it has a veto over the use of footage of King Charles III’s accession council. This was the lengthy event where the new monarch was formally proclaimed in a televised ceremony involving leading politicians, overseen by Penny Mordaunt.

Broadcasters have been told they are allowed to retain a maximum of 12 minutes of footage from this constitutionally important occasion. Longer clips would need to be a cleared with the royal household...

As I’ve said before, I’m not a republican, but sheer arrogance like this leads me to think about reconsidering that.
    Given most of your posts on the monarchy here have been whinging ones like this I think the idea you are not a republican already is debateable.

No previous monarch has allowed coverage of the accession council at all, either live or archived, so the broadcasters should count themselves lucky they got any. They got full live coverage and 12 minutes of archive
    “Count themselves lucky”…
    That’s the kind of cringing attitude towards what is supposed to be a constitutional monarchy, subject to Parliament, that I was criticising.
    The public watched it live, the monarchy has no obligation to give the broadcasters unrestricted archive
    It’s not theirs to give.
    Yes it is based on the contract broadcasters were given to cover it
    What contract ?
    And who paid for the funeral in the first place?

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

This is just a prelude?
    That's more of a fugue.
    Truth is I like Phillip Glass music, some of it is very beautiful, like facades and closing. It’s all about the inflection in the music isn’t it - Is this really as minimalist as Steve Reich? When we done a video of our art exhibition it was my idea to use facades.

Surely I am not alone in highly rating Phillip Glass?
    I am sure your enthusiasm is mirrored by manny posters.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

This is just a prelude?
    That's more of a fugue.

I am sure your enthusiasm is mirrored by manny posters.
    I'm far too Debussy to come up with any puns tonight.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

This is just a prelude?
    That's more of a fugue.

I sometimes think I would like to physically carry moonrabbit off the site.

But I always come up against the unanswerable question, Where am I going toccata?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,338

Interesting:

"Minister: Serbia won’t recognize Russian annexation ‘referendums’ in occupied Ukrainian areas.

Serbian Foreign Minister Nikola Selakovic said that Serbia, a country considered a close ally of Russia, would comply with international law and the UN Charter."

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1574105878344638469?s=20&t=NJCguq6PDmCRk51yQVJDKw

Perhaps not so surprising. Faux referendums combined with ethnic cleansing have a certain history in the Balkans.
    Indeed but Serbia was one of the few countries in Europe Putin could look to for a modicum of support.
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

This is just a prelude?
    That's more of a fugue.

But I always come up against the unanswerable question, Where am I going toccata?
    You would carry her off, leg a toe?

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Struck a nerve there Union!
    It's not us we are worried about, it's the prospect that there won't be 24-DVD-box-sets for HYUFD and his like to buy to keep themselves warm this winter.

Also the RF appropriating yet more public assets.
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

This is just a prelude?
    That's more of a fugue.

Yes, obviously, in my trusty Morris motor car.

In de Minor.

Interesting:

"Minister: Serbia won’t recognize Russian annexation ‘referendums’ in occupied Ukrainian areas.

Serbian Foreign Minister Nikola Selakovic said that Serbia, a country considered a close ally of Russia, would comply with international law and the UN Charter."

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1574105878344638469?s=20&t=NJCguq6PDmCRk51yQVJDKw

Perhaps not so surprising. Faux referendums combined with ethnic cleansing have a certain history in the Balkans.
    Indeed but Serbia was one of the few countries in Europe Putin could look to for a modicum of support.
    It would raise awkward questions for them around Kosovo. I'm not surprised they're uneasy.
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

This is just a prelude?
    That's more of a fugue.

You are very strange.

We also used lemon jelly at art college.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,266
    Do we get an exit poll from Italy?
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

This is just a prelude?
    That's more of a fugue.

Yes, obviously, in my trusty Morris motor car.

In de Minor.
    And then she will say you major go.
  • The Scots are savages.

• paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,505
    Program I'm watching felt the need to warn me of "moderate language from the start".

Features St Andrews which appears to have a ruined abbey. So was there a dissolution of monasteries north of the border too?
  • The Scots are savages.

Ok, that’s bad.

Program I'm watching felt the need to warn me of "moderate language from the start".

Features St Andrews which appears to have a ruined abbey. So was there a dissolution of monasteries north of the border too?

Most disappointing thing about twitter is, you click where it says See addl replies which may contain offensive language. They never do.
    edited September 2022

The Scots are savages.

If you check the tweet it's clear he hasn't got any further to Scotland than Cornwall. Maybe he got the idea of cornflower from Cornwall. He admits he made it up.

https://twitter.com/IMCLUNKY/status/1574107853413093376

PS: It fails the sniff test, anyway. You are far more likely to get a deep-fried mutton pie and chips. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_pie
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,757
    Nigelb said:

PeterM said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Biden adviser: US will ‘respond decisively’ if Russia uses nuclear weapons

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/3660107-biden-adviser-us-will-respond-decisively-if-russia-uses-nuclear-weapons/
    White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan on Sunday said the United States will “respond decisively” if Russian President Vladimir Putin moves to use nuclear weapons.
    “We have communicated directly, privately, at very high levels, to the Kremlin that any use of nuclear weapons will be met with catastrophic consequences for Russia, that the United States and our allies will respond decisively. And we have been clear and specific about what that will entail,” Sullivan told CBS…

To me that translates as, Biden has told Putin personally that he will nuke the fuck out of Moscow the instant Russia nukes anyone.

Biden's age and dodderiness is a plus here, because Putin will think that if he were Biden he would be thinking Had a good innings, go out leaving a reputation as a Strong Man, what's the downside?
    ok lets assume russia uses a battlefield nuclear weapon in ukraine....do we nuke moscow in that eventuality leading to an inevitable devastating nuclear strike on the west or do we instead launch a devastating conventional attack on russias forces...the 2nd option seems wiser to me
    The second option is rather more likely to be Biden’s, too.
    You forget governements have always seen war as a means of culling the poor by ensuring massive casualties. You have confidence they havent come to an agreement on nukeable targets?
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,743
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

This is just a prelude?
    That's more of a fugue.

Or would you carry her on your Bach?

Yes, when the Church of Scotland renounced papal authority in 1560.

This is an interesting account of the suppression of Dunfermline, with a wealth of context:

https://dunfermlinehistsoc.org.uk/what-happened-to-the-monks/
  • The Scots are savages.

Shocking from the home of the Smokie and Forfar bridies just up the road.
    edited September 2022
    New video from the Ukrainian Defence Ministry. They're miles ahead in the media war, that's for sure.

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1573997205723222018?s=20&t=UDRDiuaKGEs3A2DLnswdSw

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

This is just a prelude?
    That's more of a fugue.

You are very strange.

We also used lemon jelly at art college.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUeqdFWJ9vE
    edited September 2022
    ydoethur said:

This is an interesting account of the suppression of Dunfermline, with a wealth of context:

Also, Henry VIII had a good go at ruining all the abbeys and monasteries he could get at, before then. No, seriously, the ones north of Tweed and Solway.

The Scots are savages.

Is that a 'before' or 'after' photo?
  • The Scots are savages.

I think it's the cornflower sauce. I mean the underlying dish is bad, but how on God's green earth when you're asked 'Would you like me to pour a load of this all over your meal?' and it looks like that, is the answer 'Yes please' ??
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,618

Help pls. Does a pre 2007 enduring ? Power of attorney which mentions financial and affairs but not mentioning health specifically , cover someone eg his daughter to sign as power of attorney for a medical.investigation where authority is required and patient not capable. ?

If no one has Medical POA then the decision to go ahead in a patient without capacity to consent lies in a best interests decision between clinicians and relatives in regular contact. So it sounds possible to go ahead if all agreed.

The Scots are savages.

It's bollocks anyway, and I don't mean sweetbreads, see my post. But then who can blame the Mancs for confusing Rangers fans and normal Scots?
    edited September 2022
    Italian polls about to close. Do we know if there are exit polls?

Edit: yes. Guardian live blog:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2022/sep/25/italy-general-election-2022-results-live-giorgia-meloni-latest-news
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,757
    PeterM said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

One thing is, I thought it was impossible to vote Boris 2024, I now find it impossible to vote Liz 2024, but how is it possible to vote any tory 2024 under the current election rules? Because I genuinely thought Boris was −273.15 °C, and now Truss has effortlessly surpassed him in less than a week (net of obsequies). How can I ever afford to vote tory knowing that there's no limits on what the membership can impose on the country?

Vicious circle, because you can't stand for election for leadership by the elderly sheep on a withdrawing the vote from the elderly sheep ticket. For all I know the sheep get a vote on the rule change anyway - does anyone know if that is right? If so I can see no way out except a new party.

Howard tried to change the rules in 2005 and he failed. But I'm not sure whether it was ever put the membership or whether it was MPs that vetoed it.
    i dont think democracy has ever been tested like this with such a large part of the electorate oaps with no skin in the game. They dont work so dont care much about tax and national insurance...nor do they see the change in culture in the modern workplace. They dont have a mortgage so dont care that much about interest rates. Many dont even go out that much so arent hit as much by the rising cost of living. There has to be a case to restrict voting to the working age population.
    Most of those comments also apply to the unemployed and part time workers as well shall we strike them off the register too?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,475
    edited September 2022

Cathedral if ye dinnae mind!
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,729

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

This is just a prelude?
    That's more of a fugue.

At his best!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWG43VGvuCc

Cathedral if ye dinnae mind!
    Ex-cathedral ...
    edited September 2022
    Turnout in Italy down, despite visibly longer queues:

"According to media reports, the sluggishness is due to an “anti-tampering sticker” devised to counter fraud. The sticker has an alphanumeric code and is applied to a corner of the ballot. An authorised worker at the polling station removes it before inserting the ballot in the ballot box."

The Scots are savages.

I do like Arbroath fish and chip shops. A smokie, nuked in the microwave with a pat of butter inside, plus a poke of chips: a very nice dinner on the harbour wall.
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,505
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Also, Henry VIII had a good go at ruining all the abbeys and monasteries he could get at, before then. No, seriously, the ones north of Tweed and Solway.
    Thank you both. Never knew that.
    edited September 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

stodge said:

The abyss.

Brief and dickless relief rally, then gotterdammerung.

Just watch.
    That's my thoughts. If selling, sell early.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,475
    edited September 2022
    Carnyx said:

The Scots are savages.

It's bollocks anyway, and I don't mean sweetbreads, see my post. But then who can blame the Mancs for confusing Rangers fans and normal Scots?
    Should have known, everyone knows that Scottish food crimes tend to the overcooked to crispy.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    Pound down in the Asian markets I believe..
  • PeterMPeterM Posts: 302
    rcs1000 said:

Cheapest hotel in downtown washington dc i can see in october is around £270 a night with average around £420. Bear in mind prices have likely inflated considerably since April
    Carnyx said:

The Scots are savages.

I do like Arbroath fish and chip shops. A smokie, nuked in the microwave with a pat of butter inside, plus a poke of chips: a very nice dinner on the harbour wall.
    IN fact, something Leon would go all mushy about.
    Im sure if you stayed out in the midwestern sticks you could do the usa cheaper. But most people want to do new york or california or florida
    ydoethur said:

Had a very nice outing to that burgh a few years back when they had a special dinosaur exjhibition at the Carnegie Birthplace (A. C. having funded Diplodocus carnegiei and its plaster casts in e.g. South Kensington). Quite a royal palace and abbey modified, as elsewhere, to a parish kirk.
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

This is just a prelude?
    That's more of a fugue.

At his best!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWG43VGvuCc

We might agree on something? 🥳

I’m suspecting you had a hand in the advert? How does “life out of balance” (technology v environment) go hand in hand with promoting an energy company?
    PeterM said:

rcs1000 said:

Cheapest hotel in downtown washington dc i can see in october is around £270 a night with average around £420. Bear in mind prices have likely inflated considerably since April
    Hang on.

Why would you want to stay in downtown DC? It's much nicer to stay in Arlington, where you are on the Metro, and there's great walkable bars and restaurants that aren't full of Senators buttering up donors.

And if you read what I wrote, we (a family of four) AirBnB'ed.

rcs1000 said:

Gettysburg
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    Pound getting pounded early trading. Dirty speculating turds. Short the Zloti!
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Gettysburg
    The world will little note, nor long remember what you said here.

“Dirty speculating turds”

Tax the bastards
  • Foxy said:

Help pls. Does a pre 2007 enduring ? Power of attorney which mentions financial and affairs but not mentioning health specifically , cover someone eg his daughter to sign as power of attorney for a medical.investigation where authority is required and patient not capable. ?

If no one has Medical POA then the decision to go ahead in a patient without capacity to consent lies in a best interests decision between clinicians and relatives in regular contact. So it sounds possible to go ahead if all agreed.
    Thank you. What I was wondering was whether a pre oct 2007 power of attorney covered medical issues.

Tax the bastards
    Set the Rabbit on them. No mercy.

Tax the bastards
    https://wallaceandgromit.fandom.com/wiki/Were-Rabbit?file=Were-rabbit.jpg
    rcs1000 said:

PeterM said:

rcs1000 said:

Hang on.

Why would you want to stay in downtown DC? It's much nicer to stay in Arlington, where you are on the Metro, and there's great walkable bars and restaurants that aren't full of Senators buttering up donors.

And if you read what I wrote, we (a family of four) AirBnB'ed.
    Ok £200 a night average in Arlington..cheaper but you are 4.5 miles on average from downtown.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Gettysburg
    Did you visit the precise address ?

Foxy said:

Thank you. What I was wondering was whether a pre oct 2007 power of attorney covered medical issues.
    Presumably in England? As well to say if not, because Scotland has different laws on such things.
  • Western analysts: "It will take Russia months to train the soldiers they are mobilising and deploy them to the front."

Russia:
    Russia is sending newly conscripted soldiers to Ukraine instantly without training. The wife of a 45-year-old says her husband (with no tank experience) was sent to the front with 1000 other conscripts to join a tank regiment after just 1 day of training.

https://mobile.twitter.com/StateOfUkraine/status/1574124618901749761

Surely the casualties from this approach are going to be horrendous?
    Carnyx said:

Tax the bastards
    https://wallaceandgromit.fandom.com/wiki/Were-Rabbit?file=Were-rabbit.jpg
    Have you seen early man? Mussolini should sue.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,623

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Hmmmm. I was thinking that the whole queue jumping business was bad for the Monarchy because it made them look like sycophants to the media who had to been given 'privileges.' Don't they realise they anyone could simply have recorded it all on the TV?
    if you are in favour of a monarchy then surely you are implicitly backing queue jumping.
    PeterM said:

rcs1000 said:

When I went to DC i just drove to a motel close to the airport/metro line and got the metro in each day. Hotels in central will be full of swamp life.
    Who killed the EU cluedo
    It was Italy, in the Alps, with an election
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,337
    UPDATE:
    Currency trading has begun in Asian markets and the pound is down another half cent vs the dollar.
    Below $1.08.
    Small fall compared with what we saw on Fri but v much NOT the direction the govt would have liked to see.
    Could be a bumpy week.
    Hold tight... https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1574122578473525250/photo/1
  • Looks like a good night to do some laundry, slow roast some pork, or otherwise use up the available wind energy.

http://gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,337
    All eyes on sterling first thing Monday - it’s still tanking https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1574132669901840385/photo/1

Foxy said:

It doesn't, but that in some ways makes it more straightforward.

If there is a medical POA then they have to agree, if no one does then the Best Interests process applies. It only becomes a problem if family disagree with clinicians or amongst themselves.
  • Western analysts: "It will take Russia months to train the soldiers they are mobilising and deploy them to the front."

Russia:
    Russia is sending newly conscripted soldiers to Ukraine instantly without training. The wife of a 45-year-old says her husband (with no tank experience) was sent to the front with 1000 other conscripts to join a tank regiment after just 1 day of training.

https://mobile.twitter.com/StateOfUkraine/status/1574124618901749761

Surely the casualties from this approach are going to be horrendous?

Can't be true - surely Putin cares about his troops? Oh, hold on...
  • Andrea if you're about why do the polls close so late in Italy? 11pm v 6pm Germany, 8pm France, Spain, Sweden etc. Guessing it's a hangover from when it used to be Sunday + Monday morning voting? UK closes earlier and we vote on a weekday!

And also you have one vote for each house (Chamber & Senate) but each vote counts for both the FPTP and PR results so you don't have separate FPTP and PR ballots as you would in Germany or Scotland?

Thanks

Who killed the EU cluedo

If you don't like the Italian government, don't worry. There will be another one along shortly*.

*joke increasingly applies to UK too.
    Foxy said:

Who killed the EU cluedo

If you don't like the Italian government, don't worry. There will be another one along shortly*.

*joke increasingly applies to UK too.
    They just stick some banker in to run the joint on behalf of the WEF once they get bored with democracy on odd numbered weeks.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited September 2022

Andrea if you're about why do the polls close so late in Italy? 11pm v 6pm Germany, 8pm France, Spain, Sweden etc. Guessing it's a hangover from when it used to be Sunday + Monday morning voting? UK closes earlier and we vote on a weekday!

And also you have one vote for each house (Chamber & Senate) but each vote counts for both the FPTP and PR results so you don't have separate FPTP and PR ballots as you would in Germany or Scotland?

Thanks

Historically we used to vote until 10 pm. Then, yes, during Berlusconi years, he added Monday voting until 5pm. Now they got rid of Monday but extended Sundays to 11pm.

yes, we have only one ballot paper per house. We can't split FPTP and PR vote, otherwise the ballot is considered spoilt.
    This is how the ballot looks like:
    http://www.prefettura.it/FILES/AllegatiPag/1141/Fac-Simile_Scheda_Camera_-_Circoscrizione_Lombardia_1_-_Collegio_Plurinominale_1_-_Collegio_Uninominale_4.PDF

This discussion has been closed.