Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The reality for lower income people vs people earning £155k and over – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Scott_xP said:

Speculation the BoE might call an emergency meeting next week to raise interest rates.

Perhaps better if they can hold off a week, maybe until Kwasi is due to speak at the Tory conference...

If they try to, they should certainly be stopped. They would be outside their remit.
    "I hereby re-confirm the inflation target as 2 per cent as measured by the 12-month
    increase in the Consumer Prices Index (CPI). The inflation target of 2 per cent is symmetric
    and applies at all times
    . This reflects the primacy of price stability and the forward-looking
    inflation target in the UK monetary policy framework. The government’s commitment to
    price stability, and the Bank of England’s operational independence remains absolute. "

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/965782/2021_MPC_remit_FINAL_1_March_.pdf
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,652

MaxPB said:

If Rishi has any ambition to become PM then he needs to rebel against this budget and stand up for middle and lower income people. He only needs 37 rebels I think, given the nature and scale of the the cuts for rich people and sterling tanking I think he could find them.

He just lost a leadership election on these issues. It would create a massive crisis for the Conservative party if he tried to get MPs to overrule the result.
    So what ?
    He’s a backbench MP, and should vote his conscience. He owes Truss less than nothing.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

If Rishi has any ambition to become PM then he needs to rebel against this budget and stand up for middle and lower income people. He only needs 37 rebels I think, given the nature and scale of the the cuts for rich people and sterling tanking I think he could find them.

I don’t think he’s ever shown any evidence of being that bold.
    I’d be very surprised.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Biden adviser: US will ‘respond decisively’ if Russia uses nuclear weapons

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/3660107-biden-adviser-us-will-respond-decisively-if-russia-uses-nuclear-weapons/
    White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan on Sunday said the United States will “respond decisively” if Russian President Vladimir Putin moves to use nuclear weapons.
    “We have communicated directly, privately, at very high levels, to the Kremlin that any use of nuclear weapons will be met with catastrophic consequences for Russia, that the United States and our allies will respond decisively. And we have been clear and specific about what that will entail,” Sullivan told CBS…

I don't think he's joking.

Russia would get nothing out of using nuclear weapons except an utter catastrophe.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

He just lost a leadership election on these issues. It would create a massive crisis for the Conservative party if he tried to get MPs to overrule the result.
    So what ?
    He’s a backbench MP, and should vote his conscience. He owes Truss less than nothing.
    She should invite him to take the Labour whip.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

So what ?
    She should invite him to take the Labour whip.
    Sure.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Alasdair_ said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1574033618091085824?t=ubomXhb02P41XW0PLUFGhg&s=19

Lab 45 (+3)
    Con 33 (-2)

Not sure whether pre or post Special Financial Operation. 7000 asked.

Not much of a bounce for Ms Truss.

There’s a PB rule, events take two weeks to find its way into polls, so no polls for two weeks will be comment on the budget.

Meanwhile, we can see signs Government Budget is working staggering well ALREADY, with flocks across London Bridge this weekend, into the city.

That is not a flock of sheep.

This

https://www.newsflare.com/video/241746/footage-shows-farmers-in-cumbria-moving-hundreds-of-sheep-down-from-the-fells

is a medium size flock of sheep in Cumbria.

I thought they were Tory MPs heading to the City to explain the KamiKwasi special financial operation.
    Wasn’t that explained to everyone who mattered a week beforehand ?
    And were they satisfied with the explanations? It seems not.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Mick Lynch at @TWT_NOW calls for labour unity, then gets the biggest cheer of the night by calling for Keir Starmer to resign.

https://twitter.com/johnmcternan/status/1573747634417897474?s=46&t=ATQN-YAT9KTOhRCiVeFMpg

Che peccato.

The more the likes of Lynch oppose Starmer, the better for his prospects in Tory held marginals
    If you weren't innately predisposed to vote Conservative, pre-programmed if you like. I believe you would be campaigning for Starmer now.
    He's certainly voted for PC, so the embryonic concept is there.
    My mistake. I'd forgotten HY's floating voter status.
    Seems he may vote lib dem
    Hell is indeed beginning to look a little frosty.
  • Options
    Alasdair_ said:

Nigelb said:

Alasdair_ said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1574033618091085824?t=ubomXhb02P41XW0PLUFGhg&s=19

Lab 45 (+3)
    Con 33 (-2)

There’s a PB rule, events take two weeks to find its way into polls, so no polls for two weeks will be comment on the budget.

Meanwhile, we can see signs Government Budget is working staggering well ALREADY, with flocks across London Bridge this weekend, into the city.

This

https://www.newsflare.com/video/241746/footage-shows-farmers-in-cumbria-moving-hundreds-of-sheep-down-from-the-fells

I thought they were Tory MPs heading to the City to explain the KamiKwasi special financial operation.
    Wasn’t that explained to everyone who mattered a week beforehand ?
    And were they satisfied with the explanations? It seems not.
    The guys who shorted the pound probably were.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mick Lynch at @TWT_NOW calls for labour unity, then gets the biggest cheer of the night by calling for Keir Starmer to resign.

https://twitter.com/johnmcternan/status/1573747634417897474?s=46&t=ATQN-YAT9KTOhRCiVeFMpg

Che peccato.

The more the likes of Lynch oppose Starmer, the better for his prospects in Tory held marginals
    If you weren't innately predisposed to vote Conservative, pre-programmed if you like, I believe you would be campaigning for Starmer now.
    No, I will always vote Conservative at general elections. The most I would go at a general election is LD not full Labour if I were ever to vote differently
    Attaboy!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    TimS said:

ping said:

PeterM said:

Leon said:

PeterM said:

Reading what leon said about how accommodation now expensive in usa
    Looking at booking.com
    1 night in manhattan mid oct
    Cheapest hotel round £350 per night average around £550 per night
    Los angeles mid october
    Bog standard hotel in santa monica around £500 per night
    These prices price out much of the uk middle class from the usa
    Pound dollar exchange rate is killing us here

It’s not just the exchange rate, it’s a surge in wages for US hospitality staff, post Covid, as the bosses can’t find the workers

Americans themselves are bemoaning these appalling prices - another reason so many of them in Europe
    Yeah a couple of 2.
    Week in usa
    Flights around £ 1000
    Accomodation if staying near major metro areas...lets say they are frugal pay £400 per night £2800
    Spending Again assume frugal so £150 per day
    Total cost £5000 for week
    Average joe in uk unlikely to pay that
    Hmm. Excuse my ignorance - I don’t follow the type of websites and forums where I’m sure this sort of thing is discussed in depth, but…

Are there still cheap options? Like, I dunno, renting an RV and driving around Yellowstone? If it’s just accommodation that is the stinger, then there are ways around it if you’re flexible, surely?
    RV rental is extortionate, and then there’s the pitch charges in campgrounds. Motels still by far the cheapest options.

We were thinking of a US road trip next year but decided not to because of the exchange rate. Doing Georgia instead.
    Yes: RV rental rates are insane - often rivaling Five Star hotels once you include insurance and hook up fees
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/3660107-biden-adviser-us-will-respond-decisively-if-russia-uses-nuclear-weapons/
    White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan on Sunday said the United States will “respond decisively” if Russian President Vladimir Putin moves to use nuclear weapons.
    “We have communicated directly, privately, at very high levels, to the Kremlin that any use of nuclear weapons will be met with catastrophic consequences for Russia, that the United States and our allies will respond decisively. And we have been clear and specific about what that will entail,” Sullivan told CBS…

To me that translates as, Biden has told Putin personally that he will nuke the fuck out of Moscow the instant Russia nukes anyone.

Biden's age and dodderiness is a plus here, because Putin will think that if he were Biden he would be thinking Had a good innings, go out leaving a reputation as a Strong Man, what's the downside?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

ping said:

PeterM said:

Leon said:

PeterM said:

Looking at booking.com
    Los angeles mid october

It’s not just the exchange rate, it’s a surge in wages for US hospitality staff, post Covid, as the bosses can’t find the workers

Americans themselves are bemoaning these appalling prices - another reason so many of them in Europe
    Yeah a couple of 2.
    Week in usa
    Flights around £ 1000
    Accomodation if staying near major metro areas...lets say they are frugal pay £400 per night £2800
    Hmm. Excuse my ignorance - I don’t follow the type of websites and forums where I’m sure this sort of thing is discussed in depth, but…

Are there still cheap options? Like, I dunno, renting an RV and driving around Yellowstone? If it’s just accommodation that is the stinger, then there are ways around it if you’re flexible, surely?
    RV rental is extortionate, and then there’s the pitch charges in campgrounds. Motels still by far the cheapest options.

We were thinking of a US road trip next year but decided not to because of the exchange rate. Doing Georgia instead.
    Yes: RV rental rates are insane - often rivaling Five Star hotels once you include insurance and hook up fees
    I would think the insurance and excesses are insane, they are big awkward fuckers for people who usually drive cars. But you'd know.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Speculation the BoE might call an emergency meeting next week to raise interest rates.

Perhaps better if they can hold off a week, maybe until Kwasi is due to speak at the Tory conference...

If they try to, they should certainly be stopped. They would be outside their remit.
    "I hereby re-confirm the inflation target as 2 per cent as measured by the 12-month
    increase in the Consumer Prices Index (CPI). The inflation target of 2 per cent is symmetric
    and applies at all times
    inflation target in the UK monetary policy framework. The government’s commitment to
    price stability, and the Bank of England’s operational independence remains absolute. "

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/965782/2021_MPC_remit_FINAL_1_March_.pdf
    I am aware of the bank's remit - however, they have had their meeting, and made their decision.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    TimS said:

Straw in the wind… I’ve seen a number of tweets today of much more determined anti mobilisation protests in Dagestan than elsewhere in Russia - here’s a recent one: https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1574044060989390849?s=21&t=fgzE4uFGvKUb4TwRhxnUQQ

What’s going on in Dagestan, and might this have a multiplier effect in neighbouring republics?

The caucuses has been where trouble has been where trouble has flared up before.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,697
    Almost prophetic that there's stormy weather in Italy today, on the day of the election.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

and applies at all times

I am aware of the bank's remit - however, they have had their meeting, and made their decision.
    Read the bits in bold again. There is nothing there to say the bank only gets to make decisions at "their meeting," and any such rule would be incompatible with absolute operational independence.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Didn't he win the leadership contest with Conservative MPs on these issues?
    He wasn't able to get a majority of them to endorse him or vote for him, but yes, that's why it would be the equivalent of a Conservative party constitutional crisis for him to attempt to get MPs to go against the verdict of party members.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

ping said:

PeterM said:

Leon said:

PeterM said:

Looking at booking.com
    Los angeles mid october

Yeah a couple of 2.
    Week in usa
    Flights around £ 1000

Hook up fees ….?
  • Options
    PeterMPeterM Posts: 302
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

To me that translates as, Biden has told Putin personally that he will nuke the fuck out of Moscow the instant Russia nukes anyone.

Biden's age and dodderiness is a plus here, because Putin will think that if he were Biden he would be thinking Had a good innings, go out leaving a reputation as a Strong Man, what's the downside?
    ok lets assume russia uses a battlefield nuclear weapon in ukraine....do we nuke moscow in that eventuality leading to an inevitable devastating nuclear strike on the west or do we instead launch a devastating conventional attack on russias forces...the 2nd option seems wiser to me
  • Options
    edited September 2022

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

He wasn't able to get a majority of them to endorse him or vote for him, but yes, that's why it would be the equivalent of a Conservative party constitutional crisis for him to attempt to get MPs to go against the verdict of party members.
    A backbench MP rebelling isn’t even vaguely “the equivalent of a party constitutional crisis”.
    It’s part of how our parliamentary system works.

You seem to be confusing the Tory party with the Politburo.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    edited September 2022
    rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

ping said:

PeterM said:

Leon said:

PeterM said:

Looking at booking.com
    Los angeles mid october

Yeah a couple of 2.
    Week in usa
    Flights around £ 1000

The people paying those rates must be system addicts.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited September 2022
    Doesn't seem to make much sense to me for the BoE to have an emergency meeting. Even if they must be sorely tempted to after the Chancellor basically declined any responsibility for controlling inflation through fiscal and other non-monetary measures and effectively dared them to revise their previous decision in view of new unanticipated circumstances (aka the Govt promoting inflationary expansionary policies, whilst simultaneously claiming that the BoE should do everything in its power to control inflation).

For all that, there is unlikely to be much material difference between making a decision now and in 3 weeks, so they might as well do it in 3 weeks and avoid creating a sense of "panic" which is just likely to encourage the markets to attack the £ further. But in 3 weeks, read what the market is anticipating, and double it to give a sense of getting ahead of the problem (to the extent that this is possible).
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,650
    PeterM said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

ok lets assume russia uses a battlefield nuclear weapon in ukraine....do we nuke moscow in that eventuality leading to an inevitable devastating nuclear strike on the west or do we instead launch a devastating conventional attack on russias forces...the 2nd option seems wiser to me
    Much more likely I think. And more useful in helping Ukraine win the war.
  • Options
    PeterM said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

The second option is rather more likely to be Biden’s, too.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    alex_ said:

Doesn't seem to make much sense to me for the BoE to have an emergency meeting. Even if they must be sorely tempted to after the Chancellor basically declined any responsibility for controlling inflation through fiscal and other non-monetary measures and effectively dared them to revise their previous decision in view of new unanticipated circumstances (aka the Govt promoting inflationary expansionary policies, whilst simultaneously claiming that the BoE should do everything in its power to control inflation).

For all that, there is unlikely to be much material difference between making a decision now and in 3 weeks, so they might as well do it in 3 weeks and avoid creating a sense of "panic" which is just likely to encourage the markets to attack the £ further. But in 3 weeks, read what the market is anticipating, and double it to give a sense of getting ahead of the problem (to the extent that this is possible).

Mmm.
    Much of this depends on what happens tomorrow.
    It may stabilise. Or it may develop a momentum of its own. If we do get close to parity, can we afford to wait 3 weeks? (I thought it was 4 weeks Thursday?).
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,423
    King Harry saunters so saucily to the crease.
  • Options
    Massive fire at a wholesale food market near Paris.

https://twitter.com/clementlanot/status/1573999935627960321
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,230
    edited September 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

and applies at all times

That was before Trussolini's first budget.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Y
    dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

Mmm.
    It may stabilise. Or it may develop a momentum of its own. If we do get close to parity, can we afford to wait 3 weeks? (I thought it was 4 weeks Thursday?).
    From what I can see of the futures markets, tomorrow might turn out to be rather boring.

Who knows, though!
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Lab 45 (+3)
    Con 33 (-2)

This

🤗. Beautiful.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,989
    edited September 2022
    dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

Mmm.
    Meetings were shifted to every 6 weeks in 2019 or so (from memory) and last Thursday meeting was due to be a week earlier until her majesty delayed things a week.

So the next 2 meetings are supposedly November 3rd then December 15th then 2nd February 2023.

I suspect we may be rapidly moving back to monthly meetings but the next meeting is currently 5 weeks away....
  • Options
    TimS said:

PeterM said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Indeed.

https://twitter.com/HenryJFoy/status/1574051296319078400
    Western capitals have privately warned the Kremlin of their devastating military response should Putin use a nuclear weapon, multiple officials told
    @FinancialTimes, as militaries step up their preparations for a potential attack
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    Tories more woke than woke - returning statues to their overseas homelands etc etc. Elgin Marbles, Athens here we come!

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/sep/25/museums-england-wales-powers-to-dispose-objects-moral-grounds
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Lab 45 (+3)
    Con 33 (-2)

This

🤗. Beautiful.
    Meh! (in a nice way).
  • Options

TimS said:

Straw in the wind… I’ve seen a number of tweets today of much more determined anti mobilisation protests in Dagestan than elsewhere in Russia - here’s a recent one: https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1574044060989390849?s=21&t=fgzE4uFGvKUb4TwRhxnUQQ

What’s going on in Dagestan, and might this have a multiplier effect in neighbouring republics?

The caucuses has been where trouble has been where trouble has flared up before.
    What's perhaps interesting is that whilst this has been prompted by the mobilisation - and so the obvious complaint is always that it's purely self interest driven - the fact is that they aren't buying the Russian propaganda on the cause of this conflict.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1574050764544438273

And if they aren't buying it, then the assumptions about the level of real support for the war (and justification for the war) that we are told about (even if caused by complete absence of competing media narratives) is far lower than the impression many have.

There does appear to also be resentment and notice being made of who is fighting this war for Russia - basically it is the ethnic minorities and outside countries seem to be beginning to take an interest in this. An ex Mongolian President was getting involved the other day, and apparently in Crimea there has been a big conscription push focussing on Tartars (which won't please Turkey at all). If impression begins to roll that Putin is using the war as an excuse for a bit of ethnic cleansing within Russia itself then that can only mean trouble (especially if he may lack the strength to put down any serious trouble in the regions due to everything being in Ukraine).
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Truss didn’t get a majority of member votes for these plans, presumably majority of members oppose?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Alasdair_

No, no this is not acceptable.

People need to put thought into their usernames.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Tories more woke than woke - returning statues to their overseas homelands etc etc. Elgin Marbles, Athens here we come!

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/sep/25/museums-england-wales-powers-to-dispose-objects-moral-grounds

At last something good to say about our New Government.

Though some will also see Truss policy to go back to growth building through more immigration as another big change in good direction.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

A necessary crisis, if the Tory party isn't in favour of fiscal responsibility then what is it for. Additionally Liz Truss doesn't have a mandate for this, if she wants to cut taxes for very high earners she needs to get the people to vote for it. Nowhere in her leadership bid did the subject of cutting the additional rate come up and it definitely wasn't in the Boris 2019 manifesto.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,551

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Lab 45 (+3)
    Con 33 (-2)

This

🤗. Beautiful.
    Yes. Not long ago I had to wait for about 15 minutes while a flock went past on a country road near the old Cumberland Westmorland border. A great sight.

At moments like that I am amazed that I am paid to work here; and that in much of Cumbria professional jobs are hard to fill because people won't come to live here.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

ping said:

PeterM said:

Leon said:

PeterM said:

Looking at booking.com
    Los angeles mid october

Yeah a couple of 2.
    Week in usa
    Flights around £ 1000

Hook up fees ….?
    A man Too Posh To Caravan

Plugging your electric into the site's mains
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

A necessary crisis, if the Tory party isn't in favour of fiscal responsibility then what is it for. Additionally Liz Truss doesn't have a mandate for this, if she wants to cut taxes for very high earners she needs to get the people to vote for it. Nowhere in her leadership bid did the subject of cutting the additional rate come up and it definitely wasn't in the Boris 2019 manifesto.
    If the Tory party isn't in favour of low taxes, then what is it for?

Truss won the leadership election, he lost. If he wants to rebel on an issue of confidence or supply then he should resign the whip.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

PeterM said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

The second option is rather more likely to be Biden’s, too.
    Just going with the wording. Catastrophic is big talk.
  • Options
    First poll of Wales since Liz Truss made PM puts Conservatives in ‘electoral wipe-out territory’

Westminster Voting Intention:

Labour: 46% (+5)
    Conservative: 23% (-3)
    Plaid Cymru: 15% (-1)
    Reform UK: 5% (+1)
    Liberal Democrats: 5% (-2)
    Green Party: 3% (-1)
    Other: 3% (+1)

Senedd Constituency Voting Intention:

Labour: 40% (+ 3)
    Plaid Cymru: 22% (+ 1)
    Conservative: 20% (- 4)
    Liberal Democrats: 6%
    Reform UK: 5%
    Green Party: 3% (-2)
    Other: 4%

(YouGov/ITV Cymru Wales and Cardiff University; sample 1,014 Welsh voters; September 20-22)

https://nation.cymru/news/first-poll-of-wales-since-liz-truss-elected-pm-puts-conservatives-in-electoral-wipe-out-territory/
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Lab 45 (+3)
    Con 33 (-2)

This

🤗. Beautiful.
    Yes. Not long ago I had to wait for about 15 minutes while a flock went past on a country road near the old Cumberland Westmorland border. A great sight.

At moments like that I am amazed that I am paid to work here; and that in much of Cumbria professional jobs are hard to fill because people won't come to live here.

Property prices?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

ping said:

PeterM said:

Leon said:

PeterM said:

Looking at booking.com
    Los angeles mid october

Yeah a couple of 2.
    Week in usa
    Flights around £ 1000

The people paying those rates must be system addicts.
    It's because you can check-out whenever you're ready.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The Boris manifesto refers to cutting taxes in multiple places, albeit as a vague aspiration. Rishi actually did break the manifesto with his NI increase.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,233
    TimS said:

PeterM said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

I suspect that NATO have a pretty good idea where Russia´s nuclear weapons are. A combination of a conventional intervention on the ground and the destruction of-say- one or more of the Russian SSBN fleet (which is the stealthiest attack system that Putin has available), might be on the response menu.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

If the Tory party isn't in favour of low taxes for the wealthy, then what is it for?

Truss won the leadership election, he lost. If he wants to rebel on an issue of confidence one-nation Conservatism or supply then he should resign the whip.
    Fixed that for you... :D:D
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,149

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour Party 2022: Patriot Harder.
    Will the Red Flag be making an appearance?

This is at the heart of Labour’s strategic conundrum: the more they ape the English Tories, the more distasteful they become to their target voters in Scotland. Mark Drakeford knows what he’s doing. Anas Sarwar is yet another in an astonishing line of SLab duds.

Labour have made their ‘Muscular Unionism’ (copyright M Gove) bed. Now they must lie in it. Sweet dreams are profoundly unlikely.
    To beat the SNP in Scotland SLab need Tory and LD tactical votes in seats where they are in second place, as Ian Murray does so brilliantly in Edinburgh South. They need to united Unionists behind them, they are not going to win over many if any Nationalists back from the SNP
    The tweeter in the image I posted is a recently retired SLab MSP. Doesn’t Starmer need to keep people like him on board?
    No, Findlay is a hard left socialist who only got into Holyrood on the list
    If Scottish Labour gleefully throw away the hard left socialist vote then they can forget 15-20 gains. No amount of SLD and SCon tactical votes can save them is they start haemorrhaging their core support.
    Most of the hard left in Scotland went to the SNP or Greens or Tommy Sheridan long ago. Most SLab voters now are centrist or centre left Unionists
    PB Scotch expertise at its very best.
    It’s “Scottish”. Scotch is an alcoholic drink.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

First poll of Wales since Liz Truss made PM puts Conservatives in ‘electoral wipe-out territory’

(YouGov/ITV Cymru Wales and Cardiff University; sample 1,014 Welsh voters; September 20-22)

https://nation.cymru/news/first-poll-of-wales-since-liz-truss-elected-pm-puts-conservatives-in-electoral-wipe-out-territory/

To think they came within touching distance of leading in some polls (albeit actual elections would always disappoint).
  • Options
    edited September 2022

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The Boris manifesto refers to cutting taxes in multiple places, albeit as a vague aspiration. Rishi actually did break the manifesto with his NI increase.
    Rishi? You mean Boris. Let's not pretend the PM had no choice on that one.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Eh? Governments often include tax or spending changes that weren't in their manifestos. When Gordon Brown put the top rate up from 40% to 45% it wasn't in the 2005 manifesto either. If the 2019 manifesto or her leadership campaign had explicitly said "we won't change the top income tax rate" you might have a point. But there was no such pledge.
  • Options
    This is absolutely shocking - according to @TBIJ, Thurrock Council had borrowed £1 billion from other local authorities.

https://twitter.com/goodlawproject/status/1573955710920056833?s=46&t=ATQN-YAT9KTOhRCiVeFMpg
  • Options
    Ukraine's air defences are firing on all cylinders.

@WarMonitor3
    Ukrainian forces shot down a SU-25 attack aircraft on the southern frontline.

Ukrainian forces also shot down a Mi-8 helicopter which attempted to rescue the pilot of the shot down SU-25.

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1574082942514642947
  • Options
    edited September 2022

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Truss won the leadership election, he lost. If he wants to rebel on an issue of confidence or supply then he should resign the whip.
    Oh. The New Government’s Spritual Leader has turned up, to give his flock of Bigs and Willies some pep talk. 😟
  • Options
    Cicero said:

TimS said:

PeterM said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

I suspect that NATO have a pretty good idea where Russia´s nuclear weapons are. A combination of a conventional intervention on the ground and the destruction of-say- one or more of the Russian SSBN fleet (which is the stealthiest attack system that Putin has available), might be on the response menu.
    Or a direct strike on power stations, distribution grids, food warehouses, railway interchanges, dams etc and Russia could be a basket case by tea-time
  • Options

This is absolutely shocking - according to @TBIJ, Thurrock Council had borrowed £1 billion from other local authorities.

https://twitter.com/goodlawproject/status/1573955710920056833?s=46&t=ATQN-YAT9KTOhRCiVeFMpg

More shocking is it says half a billion in 4 years went to companies owned by one man, and 130m is unaccounted for!

I'm amazed to not remember this story.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/25/uk-broadcasters-battle-monarchy-over-control-of-queens-memorial-footage

How not to keep the media on your side: ban them from using all but one hour of QEII 10-days-of-mourning footage.

Harry and Meghan? Nah, hold my Royal pint ...
  • Options
    A pointless and damaging battle for the monarchy to engage in. Footage will out, they may as well let all of it be free for anyone to use.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,230
    edited September 2022
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

This is at the heart of Labour’s strategic conundrum: the more they ape the English Tories, the more distasteful they become to their target voters in Scotland. Mark Drakeford knows what he’s doing. Anas Sarwar is yet another in an astonishing line of SLab duds.

Labour have made their ‘Muscular Unionism’ (copyright M Gove) bed. Now they must lie in it. Sweet dreams are profoundly unlikely.
    To beat the SNP in Scotland SLab need Tory and LD tactical votes in seats where they are in second place, as Ian Murray does so brilliantly in Edinburgh South. They need to united Unionists behind them, they are not going to win over many if any Nationalists back from the SNP
    The tweeter in the image I posted is a recently retired SLab MSP. Doesn’t Starmer need to keep people like him on board?
    If Scottish Labour gleefully throw away the hard left socialist vote then they can forget 15-20 gains. No amount of SLD and SCon tactical votes can save them is they start haemorrhaging their core support.
    Most of the hard left in Scotland went to the SNP or Greens or Tommy Sheridan long ago. Most SLab voters now are centrist or centre left Unionists
    woosh
  • Options
    With respect to seeing the USA, last time I got a motel room, for out-of-town jaunt to escape (briefly) this summer's Heat Wave in Seattle, cost for one night in adequate (for me anyway) room in a tired old motel in small town check-by-jowl with naval air station = $95 plus tax, so total about $105

On other hand, my travel cost, entirely via public transit (three separate bus systems plus WA State ferry) was under $15 round trip, though distance was only 90 miles one way.

As for RVs in US, just plucked this from the web, no idea how reliable, but at least a starting point?

https://camperreport.com/will-rv-prices-go-down/

• Options

Ukraine's air defences are firing on all cylinders.

@WarMonitor3
    Ukrainian forces shot down a SU-25 attack aircraft on the southern frontline.

Ukrainian forces also shot down a Mi-8 helicopter which attempted to rescue the pilot of the shot down SU-25.

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1574082942514642947

Good to see them shot down.

But I will add: that's a brave helicopter pilot and crew. Going in to rescue another pilot, in the area he was shot down in. I hope they survived.
  • Options
    Baffling, this should all have been in the agreement under which cameras were allowed in the Abbey (which is a royal peculiar, so presumably the king gets to make the rules). If it isn't people can do what they want with footage. And the highlights (KK's Colombian moment, Hazzah not singing gstk) are out in the wild anyway.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Give me a second, where's the GIF. Ah found it.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

By sharing the proceeds of growth, Bart. This isn't that. Kwasi and Liz have put the cart before the horse and cut the wrong taxes. 1% of the nation will actually see their tax paid go down from one year to the next. Everyone else will pay more tax. And we're borrowing billions to do it. A one of rise in the allowance to £15k and 40p rate to £70k would benefit everyone and have an absolutely huge economic multiplier. Cutting my tax bill by over £15k doesn't because I'm just going to invest it.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Ed Balls and George Osborne as commentators on Andrew Neil's new C4 slot just now.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

TimS said:

PeterM said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

It's been mentioned that part of Russia's Great Power delusions has been maintaining a large naval fleet. Sinking the Russian fleet would send a signal without directly threatening Moscow, though I'd also hit Russian ground targets in and around Ukraine.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

As an old rule of thumb I tended to think you could add 10% to the Tory share to get a UK wide figure. So that would be 33%. Could be worse for them but we're still in the Truss honeymoon period (theoretically speaking) and we don't know if the markets have fully digested Kwarteng's budget yet.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

ping said:

PeterM said:

Leon said:

PeterM said:

Looking at booking.com
    Los angeles mid october

Yeah a couple of 2.
    Week in usa
    Flights around £ 1000

Hook up fees ….?
    A man Too Posh To Caravan

Plugging your electric into the site's mains
    Too posh to pull?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,250

MaxPB said:

That'd be terrible - a massive crisis for the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    kle4 said:

A pointless and damaging battle for the monarchy to engage in. Footage will out, they may as well let all of it be free for anyone to use.
    The media had full live coverage of the lying in state, the memorial services, the funeral and for the first time, the accession council.

However the archive records are copyright of the Crown and it is up to the Crown how it wishes to allow the archive footage to be used
  • Options
    One thing is, I thought it was impossible to vote Boris 2024, I now find it impossible to vote Liz 2024, but how is it possible to vote any tory 2024 under the current election rules? Because I genuinely thought Boris was −273.15 °C, and now Truss has effortlessly surpassed him in less than a week (net of obsequies). How can I ever afford to vote tory knowing that there's no limits on what the membership can impose on the country?

Vicious circle, because you can't stand for election for leadership by the elderly sheep on a withdrawing the vote from the elderly sheep ticket. For all I know the sheep get a vote on the rule change anyway - does anyone know if that is right? If so I can see no way out except a new party.
  • Options

Cicero said:

TimS said:

PeterM said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

It's been mentioned that part of Russia's Great Power delusions has been maintaining a large naval fleet. Sinking the Russian fleet would send a signal without directly threatening Moscow, though I'd also hit Russian ground targets in and around Ukraine.
    What would be great would be burning the Summer Palace (reducing Putin's Black Sea gaff to rubble with bunker busters, no nukes required). I'd pay to see footage of that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Rishi? You mean Boris. Let's not pretend the PM had no choice on that one.
    Sunak wanted to raise income tax, I think? But Johnson insisted on NI. Think I read that somewhere.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

A disagreeable abbreviation. Let's give it its full name, Scotch whiskey.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,219
    "A blaze at a massive produce market that supplies Paris with much of its fresh food sent a billowing column of dark smoke towering over the French capital before it was brought under control"

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/fire-breaks-worlds-biggest-produce-market-paris-90470979

Sacre Cordon Bleu!
  • Options
    Labour’s conference exhibition income this year hit £1m. Highest takings for the party in 15 years since the New Labour years

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1574086850037559299?s=20&t=wxYyh2Dloxb1wfDtbYrR7w
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

ping said:

PeterM said:

Leon said:

PeterM said:

Looking at booking.com
    Los angeles mid october

Yeah a couple of 2.
    Week in usa
    Flights around £ 1000

Hook up fees ….?
    Not THAT kind of "hook up" get yer mind OUT of the gutter!

Though IF you'd prefer to enjoy your holiday with your mind IN the gutter, there ARE select RV campsites that do (reputedly) provide "connections" of all kinds . . .
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

The media had full live coverage of the lying in state, the memorial services, the funeral and for the first time, the accession council.

However the archive records are copyright of the Crown and it is up to the Crown how it wishes to allow the archive footage to be used
    "archive". No contract, no compulsion possible.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aren't you confounding it with Irish whisky?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    IshmaelZ said:

One thing is, I thought it was impossible to vote Boris 2024, I now find it impossible to vote Liz 2024, but how is it possible to vote any tory 2024 under the current election rules? Because I genuinely thought Boris was −273.15 °C, and now Truss has effortlessly surpassed him in less than a week (net of obsequies). How can I ever afford to vote tory knowing that there's no limits on what the membership can impose on the country?

Vicious circle, because you can't stand for election for leadership by the elderly sheep on a withdrawing the vote from the elderly sheep ticket. For all I know the sheep get a vote on the rule change anyway - does anyone know if that is right? If so I can see no way out except a new party.

Howard tried to change the rules in 2005 and he failed. But I'm not sure whether it was ever put the membership or whether it was MPs that vetoed it.
  • Options
    MET Police come under attack & are holding the line outside the Iranian Embassy in London👇👇

https://twitter.com/NormanBrennan/status/1574075147518349313?s=20&t=wxYyh2Dloxb1wfDtbYrR7w
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Glad we can dispense with the fatuous notion that the out of touch, privilege addicted throne warmers are at the service of the country and its people rather than the reverse.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    HYUFD said:

MET Police come under attack & are holding the line outside the Iranian Embassy in London👇👇

https://twitter.com/NormanBrennan/status/1574075147518349313?s=20&t=wxYyh2Dloxb1wfDtbYrR7w

Oh the irony.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Cicero said:

TimS said:

PeterM said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

What would be great would be burning the Summer Palace (reducing Putin's Black Sea gaff to rubble with bunker busters, no nukes required). I'd pay to see footage of that.
    Sinking the Russian fleet is a noble tradition harking back to 1905. When it comes to vainglorious stupidity no other country can keep up. It's hard to think of a single decision they've taken in the last 100 years that hasn't been profoundly self-destructive.

What he could never understand about the Russian, however, "is the way that he will lie when he knows perfectly well that you know he is lying" - surely a paradox that has perplexed negotiators dealing with Russia throughout the ages...

...wrote Alistair Horne in Hubris, (2015) referring to Theodore Roosevelt at the 1905 Portsmouth (NH) Russo-Japanese peace negotiations. It is equally true of the present day and every day in between.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,688
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Awful.

Here's hoping 🤞
  • Options
    edited September 2022

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Glad we can dispense with the fatuous notion that the out of touch, privilege addicted throne warmers are at the service of the country and its people rather than the reverse.
    Over the past 2 weeks we have had nothing but whinging from republicans like you that there has been far too much live coverage of the period of mourning for the Queen, the lying in state and funeral.

So don't you dare turn round now and have the cheek and hypocrisy to say there will not be enough archive footage of it available which you would never watch anyway!!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tis a confusing drink, to be sure.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

A backbench MP rebelling isn’t even vaguely “the equivalent of a party constitutional crisis”.
    It’s part of how our parliamentary system works.

You seem to be confusing the Tory party with the Politburo.
    For me the fatal flaw is she has no popular democratic mandate for this. And she still wouldn't even with a thumping victory in both sections of the Tory leadership contest. That she didn't even manage that just adds shit to the poo.
  • Options
    PeterMPeterM Posts: 302
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Howard tried to change the rules in 2005 and he failed. But I'm not sure whether it was ever put the membership or whether it was MPs that vetoed it.
    i dont think democracy has ever been tested like this with such a large part of the electorate oaps with no skin in the game. They dont work so dont care much about tax and national insurance...nor do they see the change in culture in the modern workplace. They dont have a mortgage so dont care that much about interest rates. Many dont even go out that much so arent hit as much by the rising cost of living. There has to be a case to restrict voting to the working age population.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,159
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Over the past 2 weeks we have had nothing but whinging from republicans like you that there has been far too much live coverage of the period of mourning for the Queen, the lying in state and funeral.

So don't you dare turn round now and have the cheek to say there will not be enough archive footage of it available which you would never watch anyway!!
    How ungrateful, I’m thinking of fawning, lickspittle royal fanbois like you!
    I’m sure you’ve got it all recorded anyway, but now you’ll have to clear your hard drive faster than a 70s light entertainer expecting a visit from the cops.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Awful.

Here's hoping 🤞
    37 by elections would be fun.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,688
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

So don't you dare turn round now and have the cheek and hypocrisy to say there will not be enough archive footage of it available which you would never watch anyway!!
    Struck a nerve there Union!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pedant Alert - Whisky is Scottish. Whiskey is Irish.

"Scotch whiskey" might be an Irish export relabelled for Brexit purposes :wink:
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited September 2022
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/25/uk-broadcasters-battle-monarchy-over-control-of-queens-memorial-footage

How not to keep the media on your side: ban them from using all but one hour of QEII 10-days-of-mourning footage.

Harry and Meghan? Nah, hold my Royal pint ...

Take back control from our unelected rulers!

I am so going to disrupt the coronation of King Charles.
This discussion has been closed.